Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Final Blog Entry posted:

New CX4 imports are hitting distributors, including a FDE model with threaded barrel.

https://grabagun.com/beretta-cx4-storm-flat-dark-earth-9mm-16-6-barrel-20-rounds.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

And if a Nyto get a attitude
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

Final Blog Entry posted:

New CX4 imports are hitting distributors, including a FDE model with threaded barrel.

https://grabagun.com/beretta-cx4-storm-flat-dark-earth-9mm-16-6-barrel-20-rounds.html

brown cat ears gun

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Why does a straight blowback PPC cost $1,000?

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

And if a Nyto get a attitude
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

A PCC from the mid 2000s costs this much because it's imported from Italy in a gun panic year when people are scared of legislation (especially import legislation) and also scared of other people

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

I scored a sweet little Beretta 418, Bond's first pistol. It's cute!

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

I like how you can line up all the various incremental Berettas and see the eventual unique open top aesthetic just sort of chiseled out of a pistol bit by bit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Liam Acerbus posted:

6.35 is .25ACP, right?

loving awesome gun. I like weird old semis.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, .25 ACP. Here's a comparison with a pistol more may be familiar with:

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

After learning about the Katyn Massacre, Vasily Blokhin, and the Walther Model 2 a small .25 ACP is kind of sickening to me.

Always wanted a baby browning though, but practically speaking the .32 ACP has always been more interesting to me. Those Tomcat prices though, yikes.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Yeah I've wanted a Tomcat or Jetfire for a while but LOL at those prices.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I suddenly have the urge to put wood furniture on my 1301 Comp. Does such a thing exist?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

IIRC certain 390 furniture fits, but it's hellishly expensive.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Liam Acerbus posted:

that's adorable.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I was looking through my parts box, and realized I have a bunch of 92 hammer springs, but no labels on any of them. Is there a good way to test their weight short of throwing them in a gun and measuring the trigger pull?

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Styles Bitchley posted:

Wow very nice, do post a range report. Interesting this is listed as having a "Nistan" finish, which apparently is tin-nickel plating. Seems an odd choice for a finish, would be interested to know how that holds up to wear, chemical resistance, and staining.

I lust for dat luster doe. For sure this Beretta makes 'em wetta

Finally, after two aborted trips, got this one out to the range. In short, it's a great shooter and definitely satisfies the lust for a steel-framed ~fancy~ 92 as either a range toy or comp gun. I'll detail my take on it below, mostly in comparison to the Shadow 2 since they target the same market.

Grip: Winner is the Shadow 2 for me, the contours are better in my opinion. The Beretta is a Vertec (which I do like) frame and comes with grips that convert it to the standard 92 grip. Both have substantial front/backstrap checkering, the Shadow's seems to dig in a bit more and may be too aggressive if you have sensitive hands. You may have noticed in the picture that the Beretta's beavertail is swept down, I'm not 100% sure why they did that other than perhaps to prevent slide bite, but it works fine even though it looks odd. Both have plenty of aftermarket panels so there are a lot of options beyond stock.

Sights: This one is a tie, they have very similar sights. Adjustable, fiber front/blacked out rear, similar sight radius

Weight: Also a wash, they're about the same weight. The CZ feels slightly more muzzle heavy, but it's not very significant. I will say that the 92x seems heavier because, in my mind at least, I was comparing it to a standard 92 so even though I expected it to be heavy, I was still surprised by the weight. I didn't feel that with the CZ because it isn't WAY heavier than a standard 75.

Recoil: A tie as well, as one would expect, recoil is minimal with a ~3lb 9x19 handgun. If there was a difference between the two, it was subtle; they're both soft shooters.

Accuracy: Another tie, or undetermined. I didn't rest these guns so I don't have any comparison of mechanical accuracy. Practically speaking, they're better than I am and they were both easy to shoot small groups with when I did my part.

Trigger: Shadow 2 wins this one. I like the shape of the trigger, the slightly shorter trigger reach (mostly due to the shape) and the trigger pull better. Detailed comparison below.

Shadow 2 DA: Slight takeup, smooth throughout, lighter than most DA triggers, no wall before the break.
92X DA: No or almost no takeup, also extremely smooth, heavier than the Shadow 2, also no wall before the break. If you've shot a D-spring Beretta, this feels like a refined version of that.

Shadow 2 SA: 1/4" or so of light takeup, very light sort of indistinct wall that you roll through more than break, short ~1/4" and distinct reset
92X SA: Slightly more takeup, which gets a bit heavier towards the end as you start to engage the FPB, much heavier but very distinct and crisp wall, similar reset to the CZ but less distinct

Safety: This one is tough, but I'd barely give it to the CZ. Both have extended ambi safeties that are positive, easily actuated, and easy to rest your thumb on. The CZ comes with low pro and extended safeties in the box, annoyingly the low pro ones were installed and I had to put the extended one on my strong side which isn't terribly difficult but kind of a pain. I would expect for a comp gun that it would come with the extended safety installed. The CZ safety makes a slightly better rest for my thumb and is textured, which is why I gave it the nod. I do like that the 92's safety is much more positive. One problem with both of them, is that it makes the slide very difficult to reach with your firing hand because the safety is in the way. If you use your offhand thumb, you have to break your grip with that hand.

Slide stop: 92X wins, mostly because as with any CZ, you need really long thumbs to actuate it with your firing hand (I can just reach it) whereas the Beretta's is much closer. That said, both kind of suck due to the issue with the safety above.

Mag release: Shadow 2 wins. Both have extended releases, but the CZ's has a larger pad that is easier manipulate, that said both work fine.

Other: My main gripe with the CZ is that you would definitely need to add some grip tape or a slide racker to ensure you can easily manipulate the slide. The already small amount of real estate to grab on to a CZ-style slide is exacerbated by the trapezoidal profile of the Shadow's slide. The only saving grace are the very grippy slide serrations. The 92's slide is much easier to manipulate. The 92 has a pseudo-gas pedal in the form of a redesigned takedown lever. It works, but isn't as good as a dedicated gas pedal.

Aftermarket/mags: both guns have huge aftermarkets, mags are comparably priced/capacity and available.

Overall, if I had to choose one I'd probably go with the Shadow 2. That said, they're both great guns so for most people it will probably boil down to whether they are a Beretta or CZ fan or aesthetic preference.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Sweet, just snagged another 96 Compact mag off of GB for $39 shipped. These things are hen's teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Final Blog Entry posted:

Sweet, just snagged another 96 Compact mag off of GB for $39 shipped. These things are hen's teeth.

Only registered members can see post attachments!