Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

The M9A1 is literally just a 92FS with a rail in the frame, right? All internal parts are interchangeable?

My father continues to sit on my PX4 rather than ship it to me, and my guess at this point is that I won't see it until next year. Could finally be time to get the Beretta 92 I didn't buy the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

SixthFloorFreak posted:

I stand (semi) corrected then...92A1 does have a removable front sight which would be pretty crucial to me at least
This is probably a pretty retarded question, but why would removable sights be a huge plus?

I fondled a 92A1 and liked it, but I never thought about replacing the sights on any of my handguns save a Mark III. Honestly, my initial thought was that the magwell bevel in the M9A1 would be niftier and that the flatter trigger guard looked more Beretta-ish.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

overhand manipulation of the slide
Second retarded question: why would anyone ever rack a slide overhand instead of slingshot?

E: Actually I've never understood any of the gross motor skill thing behind slide racking.

I have fingers long enough to reach up and flick the slide stop on my PX4. Why is trigger manipulation something I am expected to perform under stress, but moving my thumb like a half inch or less is gently caress OH poo poo gently caress?

Kennebago fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 16, 2011

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

hangedman posted:

We may be comparing apples and oranges here, but my M1 Carbine continued to give me several extraction issues with TulAmmo, which had run fine up to about the 200 round count. My theory is that whatever case lubricant or coating that's placed on the steel eventually heats up and makes the chamber sticky. I had to get the first round that failed to extract out by giving the charging handle a good foot stomp. The very next round out of the magazine did the same thing. A foot stomp caused the extractor to tear a notch out of the steel case, so I had to dowel smack it.

I think if you scrub the everloving poo poo out of the gun and give your solvent of choice enough time to work its magic, your Beretta should go back to running brass-cased stuff just fine.

My M1 Carbine does this with steel too, it's annoying.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Hey what's this I've read about using a 92's D-spring in an F-type PX4 to improve the trigger a little?

Does that actually work?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Used Vertec in like 95% shape, is $525 a decent price?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Stock sights, one mag. It was in a badly overpriced shop, marked as a "Beretta 92FS". Pretty sure the shop thought it was just another Beretta, because a beat to poo poo 92FS next to it was like $500.

My dad decided to buy a Smith 617 and told the counter guy he would take it, and the guy loving walked away. When he didn't come back in 45 minutes we left. Dad bought a Buckmark Hunter from a really nice counter guy at the local Gander Mountain instead.

gently caress Davis's Sport Shop. Biggest cunts I've ever seen in Orange County, New York.

Except for the one young guy that works there, he's always nice as can be. Everyone else is a twat.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Is the skeleton hammer IDPA legal? That thing looks awesome.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

man that guy is a retard.

Those are far, far better than the one Zombiegristle on Arfcom and the Beretta forums did with a 90-Two.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

^^^ Vertec? ^^^

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Also, re: #2, keep in mind that just being able to reach the trigger doesn't mean you can pull all 12+ lbs or whatever of it to the rear smooth enough to keep your sights aligned. You really should shoot one alongside a few other 9mm pistols as a means of comparison before you decide you really want the gun.
There are people that still aren't using D-springs?

Also, if you're thinking Berettas and aren't married to 92s, my PX4 has had a somewhat better trigger out of the box than most 92s I've handled or shot. I don't know if I got a good one or something, but it's a bit crisper in SA and the DA pull feels a little lighter to me. When I bought it I figured DA was one of those things you just dealt with to get to SA, but I actually ended up liking the DA trigger because it's so good at making you pay attention.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Action-Bastard posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Px4 for work rather than go for a 92 model like I've probably mentioned before, but I'm still not sure. The thing is though that I really haven't heard anything about the Px4, good or bad for that matter, beyond the typical anti-beretta rhetoric from some of the rednecks I work with. So I'm wondering if you guys have any opinions or experiences with them.

I got one in 9mm after they first came out, and I love it. I think it fits great and has a really nice trigger for a factory gun, but like Yellowjacket said that's subjective. I do think the trigger takes a little getting used to for whatever reason. I agree that they're reliable and well-made.

The only things to be aware of that come to mind are that some early PX4s in .40 S&W apparently had trigger slap (9mm does not) but that it has been fixed, and that the magazine springs are unbelievably strong. I actually broke a friend's no-name loading tool on one of mine.

Also that you should use grease on the camming lug.

Kennebago fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 17, 2012

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Is it the camming block seizes story? I love that one. It reminds me of all those times people told me Glock .40s would eventually explode or that 92FS slides killed people.

And yeah get a Ruger or something in .22 for your first gun.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

There it is the seized block story!

That's from hkpro.com, ToddG posted it a while back in a P30 thread. The Beretta forums' collective opinion is that the rotating barrel is fine and that Todd's post is a little silly. Cougar collecting is like a subculture there - if the Cougar was such a catastrophe how come nobody will give up their 8045s?

My bet is that those cops did not properly lubricate their camming blocks.

Kennebago fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 17, 2012

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Mine never had a failure either actually, probably 2,000 rounds or so through it.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I forgot about this last night but Todd Green has a post buried somewhere on pistol-training.com about how CZ 75s are horrible unreliable guns.

His opinion is nothing I would take without salt. I think he's got a ton of experience but sometimes he says stuff that doesn't make any sense.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

He mentions four guns and comes right out and says that CZs have a reputation for poor reliability (what) that he thinks is earned, and that not one CZ he saw in the class coul stand up to significant round counts. Also that "(C) Zed is not your friend." That's as bad review as I've ever seen a shooting pro make.

I'll link what I'm looking at later when I'm not on my phone.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Any reason not to snap up po-surp Beretta 92 factory mags from CDNN?

My M9 came with 10-rounders for some reason.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Are Beretta's factory slam pads worth it to protect your mags? I shoot on a concrete/gravel range.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Another dumb question - is dry-racking a 92 going to hurt it over time? I know people frown on it for 1911s but I see people power stroke poly guns dry all the time.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Good thing those USPs aren't in 9mm or I would be second-guessing myself hard.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

infrared35 posted:

- The DAO versions have a long trigger pull, but it's very smooth and it's about half the weight of a "normal" Beretta

Is a DAO Beretta trigger about equal to a D-springed 92FS DA trigger, or does it not fully translate?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Final Blog Entry posted:

PX4
Yeah PX4 Compacts were oversprung as gently caress at first according to the Beretta forums.

Is the recoil really that soft?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Does anyone have experience with going lower than a D spring's weight on a 92 - specifically, what relationship a light hammer spring should have to recoil spring weight?

I keep seeing the 16-lb. hammer spring and 14-lb. recoil spring combo listed as the "safe" competition setup, but it's arfcom so I don't trust it 100%. Judging from the insanely deep marks my snap caps are getting, I guess a few pounds off the hammer spring shouldn't be a big problem. I just don't want my gun to beat itself to death.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Arfcom is saying that the D spring is 18 pounds and is as low as you want to go with a stock recoil spring. I'm looking at the 16-pound Wolff hammer spring.

I think the logic is that you need a stiffer recoil spring to slow the slide a little to make up for the difference in resistance the lighter hammer spring gives while the slide and hammer interface to cock the pistol during recoil.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Thanks - it didn't sound right.

Wife isn't home tonight, gonna order up a spring kit and a billion mags while I'm unsupervised!

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

If you really like the newer backstrap style, you can buy a D-spring and drop it in an M9.

I thought the M9 frame was the old style frame?

If you hold an M9 next to a 92FS the scallop or cutout or whatever you call it really does make a difference. I like the M9 frame better, personally.

quote:

edit for those more intelligent than me: Which of the new Beretta models have removable front sights? Or is it possible to have a standard slide dovetailed?

Beretta 92A1s are the newest model I know of with removable front sights. Vertecs and I think Brigadiers are the other common guns with them until you start getting into Elites or whatever.

If you want to count 90-Twos I think they have removable front sights as well but I've never seen one in person.

Edit: The most common front sight mod that I know of is having Tooltech drill the front sight and add a tritium lamp. I've never heard of anyone dovetailing a standard Beretta slide (which would be cool).

Kennebago fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 20, 2012

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Swapped my stock hammer spring for a 16-pound Wolff spring, I'm really happy with it.

Unfortunately, when I put my grip back afterwards I must not have been paying attention or something because I stripped the head on one of my hex screws. It totally surprised me because I didn't think I was applying much pressure, but it's stripped pretty good and I can't get it out.

My first thought was to put a few drops of quick-set epoxy on a wrench head and let it set up in the stripped screw overnight, but that sounded too easy. Also I don't want to end up with a pistol that has a screw, a wrench, and a Hogue grip all epoxied to it because I was stupid.

The internet says cutting a slot in the screw with a Dremel is the thing to do but I'm not really eager to do that either on a pistol frame.

Any advice? I'm not in a rush, because it's not impeding function or anything, but I would like to fix it sooner than later.

Edit: Infrared35 is right, PX4s have pretty decent triggers.

Kennebago fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 22, 2012

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I sucked it up and cut a slot in my stripped screw with a dremel - worked great, thanks for the advice everybody! The only casualty was some minor marring on the grip. It's a Hogue, so who cares. Whole thing took like five minutes.

I keep reading online that Beretta grip screws are really easy to strip, which I never heard of before. Mine surprised me with how little force it took, so I have a set of slotted screws coming. And why not throw in some spare factory mags while you're ordering poo poo, right?

I missed out on the used mags CDNN had up for a while, oh well.

Butch Cassidy posted:

It did feel solid and had typical Beretta quality of machining.

Beretta Forums guys have not been particularly kind to the Nano. Apparently it's picky with ammo and the best bet is to stick with defensive loads? It doesn't seem to do well with WWB/Blazer/whatever, anyway.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Does anyone have a source for those low-profile PX4 decocking levers? I got to handle a PX4 the other day and with those levers I'm pretty thinking mine would be just as awesome as my M9 and far easier to carry one I loving get it back.

Beretta USA/Dave Olhasso/everybody is (are?) perpetually sold out. The only place I've seen them is on Italian sites and I'm concerned because it'd be from an overseas seller.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Is the metal trigger + Wolff reduced-power INS trigger unit thing worth it?

I D-springed my M9 and I like it a lot but I would still like the SA trigger to be a little bit lighter. I have a hard time going back and forth between my Volquartsen'd Mark III.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

My full-size PX4 was pretty solid.

The only thing to be aware of is that the first run of PX4Cs were oversprung, so if you run into reliability problems you probably need the newer recoil spring.

Is it a true compact (rotating barrel) or the subcompact (tilt barrel)?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

The Beretta Forum guys like them a lot, the big cool thing is that they're supposed to be soft-shooting for their size.

Converting the safety/decock lever to decock-only is a snap, too.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Yeah hey wait a minute don't we live in the same state?

What fine establishment have I apparently not visited yet?

poo poo I might be able to talk my wife into something like this.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

My wife looked over my shoulder, saw "talk my wife into something" and whacked me.

I guess that's a no.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

nevermind

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Not sure if anyone cares about this, or if it's really news, but I just noticed that Beretta USA has low-profile G-conversion decock-only levers for the PX4 and PX4 Compact back in stock. They were gone for like months and months. If you have an F-type PX4 or PX4 compact installing them will convert your safety to decock-only (which is a mod you can also just do yourself with the massive stock levers).

My only gripe with my PX4 is the gigantic controls, so I'm pretty excited to try these.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

What's wrong with PX4s?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

That's the first I've heard of major problems with a subcompact PX4, I would try the usual things before getting really upset.

Not that anyone will care but I took my full-size PX4 out to the range today and shot an honest to goodness 1" group at 7-10 yards. I'm still pretty new to handguns so that was a major feel-good moment right there (), all day I did the best handgun shooting I've ever done with centerfire and it felt pretty great. If I could figure out how to stop pushing all of my shots a couple inches to the left I would be all set!

However 3 of 5 mags still don't drop free and the heavier DA trigger gives me way more poo poo than the D-spring trigger on my 92 does and I just can't get a clean trigger press on it.

Oh well.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

I like my civilian M9 a little bit better than my PX4, but PX4s are pretty OK guns too.

My PX4 had a much smoother DA trigger out of the box. SA is light and surprisingly crisp for a factory trigger, and the guns have a reputation on the Beretta forums for accuracy. FWIW my best groups have all been shot with a PX4, not a 92 (I am somewhat new to handguns so whatever).

The safety/decock lever in the PX4 is much more like the Cougar's than the 92's, which means you can go in and convert the factory controls from F (safety/decock) to G (decock only) yourself. That mod is pretty awesome. You can also get flush-fit G-type levers (they call them "stealth" or "low profile") from Beretta when they are in stock, that's another great mod.

I have a set on mine and it makes the PX4 powerstroke like a Glock/M&P/whatever now, you can't really engage the decocker without 100% intending to. You have to actually stop and put muscle into it, but that's a good thing as far as I am concerned. It pretty much alleviates the typical Beretta safety/decocker's overhand slide manipulation issues.

Detail stripping the slide is not a horrible pain in the rear end but you will need a hammer to drift out two roll pins.

I have had minor issues with some magazines not falling free of the gun, and the floorplates are easier to push off than they should be (if you are 45-degree-slam-reloading your gun to make the slide close automatically, you will probably push off a floorplate at some point). Other than that it's been reliable, never jams or anything.

My 92 feels much more like an extension of my arm and is probably a bit of a better made gun, but I would say go with whatever you like better for range use.

Kennebago fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Surefire's MR11 will apparently fit on a Centurion and is supposed to be pretty good, a lot of Beretta forums guys use it.

Don't know about the OEM.