Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

SadWhaleFamily posted:

If anyone wanted a Beretta 92G, Summit Gun Broker got in a few. $395 with original box, $375 without, and includes 2 15rd mags.

Bare with me I'm stupid,

I've been wanting a 92FS or an M9 for as long as I could remember but could never quite justify the expense. After a little research it seems that the 92G is virtually the same besides the lack of safety and the de-cocker. Am I correct in this assumption or is it much more than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Awesome, thanks guys. Looks like I'll be keeping an eye out for a 92G when I've saved up some money.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I like this one a lot more. Brigadier slide, full S.T.A.R.S. engraving, correct sights, lack of douchey looking hair/outfit, it's got everything.

Honestly I'd just want the grips if anything, the slide is a little tacky looking.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I'm thinking about getting a Px4 for work rather than go for a 92 model like I've probably mentioned before, but I'm still not sure. The thing is though that I really haven't heard anything about the Px4, good or bad for that matter, beyond the typical anti-beretta rhetoric from some of the rednecks I work with. So I'm wondering if you guys have any opinions or experiences with them.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Awesome! Yeah I was definitely going for the 9mm model. I've already had the chance to handle one (but not fire it) and I really like the feel of the grip. This would be my first handgun though, the newbie thread did suggest I get some basics down with a .22. So may just buy a Buckmark to gently caress around with at the range and get some idea of how to shoot pistol and then upgrade to the Px4 later.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I've read not-so-favorable things about the Px4 and believe you would be better served with a 92 series.

No offense, but you always seem to have bad things to say about guns I like. What were these "not-so-favorable things" though?

Edited, for first handgun. Not first gun ever

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 17, 2012

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I forget where exactly I first saw this but it is from Todd Louis Green, firearms instructor & former Beretta LEO/Mil division employee.

I'm not like stalking you to pooh pooh your decisions, but you solicited opinions....

Oh no that was just an exaggeration, I barely post in this forum at all. And thanks for the info!

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Got to shoot a Px4 earlier this week when a friend took me to his range. The downside though was that it was a .40SW. Still I really liked how it shot compared to the other guns he had (all .40SW, I think he has a fetish)good grip and I like how the sights lined up. Tried his Glock 23 and gently caress was that uncomfortable to shoot.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Is that an AK mag in it? Does that thing take AK mags? Because holy poo poo...

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

This is tearing me apart, I can't decide if I want a 92 or a Px4! What I buy will be used almost entirely for recreational shooting. Help a fellow out?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Decided I'll get a Px4 unless I find a good 92 for a steal. Meanwhile Beretta USA has inert training models of the Px4 for $45, I think I'll get one of those to practice with since this will be my first pistol.

Thanks for the input guys!

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Neo Mara posted:

Shhh careful before you ruffle the feathers of the parrots and they tell you you're and idiot and Berettas have bad triggers.

I've never quite understood the anti-Beretta rhetoric you hear alot when they come up. I mean, yeah every firearm has it's pros and cons but Beretta just seems to attract the most undeserved negativity.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Ok sorry in advance if this is a dumb baby question... But I was about to order a Px4 from Bud's when I noticed it was a D-type, decided to look that up and I'm finding out that it basically has no safety as far as I can tell. As this would be my first pistol that kinda worries me, I like safeties on guns I'm not familiar with. Like I said maybe I'm being a baby, is there actually a safety feature to the D type or should I find something else?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks for the advice everyone, yeah I'll have to give this some more thought. I posted that after being up all night following a stressful night at work so I think my head was up my rear end a little. Thing is I'm buying this for work (I work in Security) So I'll be carrying it on me 8-12 hours a day. Also after reading about DAO, it sounds like it might be weird.

I've already shot a Px4 but it was a friends who almost never goes shooting, also it was in .40sw. I'm in Oregon though just fyi, if someone wanted to take me shooting locally I'd be happy to tag along.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

So the final chapter in my Beretta odyssey... Saved up my money and went to buy the drat Px4 at a local shop I browse often and I was in last month and they had plenty in stock. Went in today and their notoriously rear end in a top hat-ish gunsmith told me with a poo poo eating grin that they were all gone and they couldn't keep any in stock nor acquire any because of the elections madness. He almost seemed pleased that he wasn't getting my business.

To make a long story short, a quick call to another shop I hadn't been to and some mix up on their part, I'm now the proud owner of a nice 92FS. Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for the help in my first handgun purchase.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Had a annoying thing happen to me today while running some drills with my 92fs, one of the dummy rounds broke and a sliver of plastic got lodged in the side and it took me like 15 minutes to get the drat thing out. Something like that ever happen to anyone else here? Maybe I'm using cheap plastic dummies.

Goddamn I still haven't gone out and shot this thing yet either :argh:

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

GEEKABALL posted:

Wife is insisting I buy her one of these when they become available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNqRwa86918

Would be pretty cool if it came out in the price range of a M&P 15-22. You know it won't.

Well according to this video I just found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXmm9bl43uw

Rifle will be (according to the nice lady) ~$585 msrp
And the pistol version shown there ~$560 msrp

Puts it into pretty affordable territory I think. I've been thinking about getting a new semi-auto .22 rifle so I may just hold off until these hit the shelves.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

DeesGrandpa posted:

Quick question: Do I want a Neos for $250 or so?
What I've heard is while the Neos isn't a bad gun, there are better .22 pistols in that price range. If it was going for $199 or less I'd probably go for it.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Think I might have a problem with my 92fs. Seems as though the double action on the trigger doesn't want to work anymore. The trigger wont reset so it wont fire unless the hammer is already back. Made sure the safety was off as well. I just discovered this while running some drills with dummy rounds, haven't shot live ammo through it recently. I have however disassembled the slide recently for cleaning so maybe I put something back together incorrectly?

Anyone have an idea what may have caused this and how I might fix it?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Flikken posted:

scrub inside the magwell or take the grips off recently?

Yeah taking it apart and looking at it again I think something isn't catching in there... but no I didn't take off the grips or "scrub" inside the magwell. I did rub some patches around with lube and cleaner but nothing I would describe as "scrubing" I worried I may have over lubed it in some parts (it's my first handgun).

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Yes it does.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Flikken posted:

your trigger bar spring is broken or missing.

Awesome! Is that something I can fix myself or should I give a gunsmith a call?

Edit: Ok I played with it a bit more and it worked for two trigger pulls then went back to not working... So I'm guessing its not missing just broken or something like that.

Edit2: Ok I think I found a youtube video on it so I think I'm set. Thanks for the help!

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 11, 2013

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Found the problem, trigger bar spring was fine and appeared to be aligned, however a chunk of those lovely plastic dummies broke off again as I mentioned here previously and got itself lodged in the bar. Welp, looks like I need to get some proper aluminum dummies or something.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

So what makes the 92s special? Other than what obviously looks to be a lovely old handgun.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I use it to hold small parts during disassembly, and not just for my Beretta.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I was thinking stainless steel barrel with a gold guide rod, skeletonized hammer, and walnut grips.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, looks like Beretta92FS.com went offline. What's the current go-to for detail stripping videos?

Youtube

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

So diagnosing some of my pistol shooting issues, looks like I can't get my little baby hands to wrap around my 92fs properly so I believe I need smaller grips. Are there some thinner grips out there that don't look ugly?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

right arm posted:

these grips look good imho

I love them (except the price tag) but they don't look any skinnier than the stock grips. Doesn't mention them being smaller in the description either.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I'm in love with those Beretta grips right arm linked, so if you say they're thinner then that should be enough I don't need super slim grips. Otherwise I'll go for the ones TAT just linked.

Thanks everyone!

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

92 or 96? I'm wagering it's a 96, seems more likely a .40 would do that.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Duckboat posted:

So what do people think of the Cx4?

I shot one in .40, ergonomic enough but I hated the recoil but that's because it's .40. It's begging for a red dot as the stock sights are kinda "meh". I'd get one in a heart beat if it wasn't so drat expensive.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Scarf posted:

I think I've made up my mind to get one of these with part of my tax return this year, unless someone can manage to talk me out of it.

I know everyone says how fun they are with a red-dot, but I actually wouldn't mind getting a decent little 2-4x optic for it.

Well now you got me thinking about it...

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Ah ok, Cx4 owners tell us is the take down and cleaning process a pain in the rear end?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

First but probably not last purchase with my tax refund:

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Installed my hammer and D spring and trigger set on my 92fs earlier today... The goddamn trigger spring drove me mad as I had a hell of a time getting it hooked onto the trigger bar. Then the D spring oh boy, it's a pretty easy operation if you have an American model 92 however mine's Italian. So instead of just using any tool to slide that pin out you pretty much have to hammer that fucker, surprisingly an xbox controller screw driver fits the pin hole perfectly.

And then while I was wrestling with that the hammer fell out so I put the skeletonized one in, that part was pretty easy :v:

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

thermobollocks posted:

The Italian model's not that bad. :colbert:

So far that's the only negative difference I've found with USA v Italian. The pin was pretty drat stubborn I certainly couldn't just "tap" it out with my hammer. Putting it back in though looked daunting so I splashed some lube on it and the pin holes and that seemed to help quite a bit.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

What really had me clutching my head was all the guides and youtube videos saying: "Yeah it should just slide out when you push it with a punch tool". Thank god for an old calguns forum post where someone with the same issue said it's different for Italian models.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Nope, didn't budge at all. Really had to hammer it out too. I bought mine used though "like new" condition so I'm not too sure on the exact age.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I really wish I had gotten that 9mm Beretta Cougar that Summit had awhile back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I handled one of the .22 versions made by Umarex and oh my god I hated it immediately. Feels way too light, feels like cheap clam shell plastic, it was as if I was holding a $50 airsoft gun and not an actual firearm. Plus I heard a few things about bad quality control and defects but that's just Umarex.