Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

You didn't say it was a Vertec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Bigass Moth posted:

Oh you don't like new school?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Bigass Moth posted:

Thanks. I'm not worried about it or anything, it seats just as well as the others. If it gives me any trouble at the range I'll be sure to note it.

Look for some M's around the magazine body. Mec-Gars are pretty solid work.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Bigass Moth posted:

What do you guys have against Vertecs exactly?

I just dislike the grip angle.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Is swapping in a D-spring something a regular jerk can do?

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Action-Bastard posted:

Bare with me I'm stupid,

I've been wanting a 92FS or an M9 for as long as I could remember but could never quite justify the expense. After a little research it seems that the 92G is virtually the same besides the lack of safety and the de-cocker. Am I correct in this assumption or is it much more than that?

92G is decocker-only, but otherwise identical to the FS. Basically, you have a safe way to lower the hammer without pulling the trigger, but it's in the same place as a 92FS' safety/decocker is.

Edit: I thought your post meant "the 92G has neither a safety nor a decocker"

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

SadWhaleFamily posted:

edit: gently caress your destiny thermobollocks

You're welcome any time.

The FS doesn't decock if you chamber a round with the safety off.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Huh. The 92FS I shot (the very first gun I'd ever shot) seemed to do this every time I chambered a new round from a fresh mag, regardless of the safety being engaged or not. I went shooting with two other clueless newbies, and we all noticed this behavior.

Were we shooting a geborken gun? It was a range in Burbank; perhaps that had something to do with it?

I just typed out for how to troubleshoot your broken FS, but it was the range's broken FS so gently caress it.

Short answer, it's dirty or broken.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Good to know, even though I do not have a FS, broken or otherwise.

92G superiority

Though I am actually interested in knowing what you had typed.

So, there's a few different things that go on to make the safety/decocker go. Since I don't have a 92G of my own, I can only tell you what the FS does. I'd love to compare them side by side, but . Here's the shorter version, and also I don't feel like consulting my armorer's mat for proper part names

With the slide separated from the frame, you can see a small cylinder at the rear of the slide rotate around when you engage/disengage the safety. That engages a little wiggly thing near the ejector on the frame. The ejector is that weird bit sticking up about an inch or so in front of the hammer. It doesn't move. The thing hanging off it does.

You can also see the connector going between the trigger and an area underneath the right grip panel. This is the thing that moves around on the outside of the gun when you pull the trigger. The bit of the connector poking up from the grip panel engages another part in the slide, again, near the safety. It's right near the edge of the slide, kind of embedded in a little cutout. If you engage/disengage the safety, you'll see that little pin on the slide poking up and down.

When the safety's engaged, that little cylinder deep in the slide pushes down against that wiggly thing near the ejector. At the same time, the little pin poking out from the edge of the slide pushes down the connector lever. That will cause the hammer to drop. You can test this yourself by cocking the hammer, then poking at those parts until the hammer drops without you pulling the trigger.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Thumb webbing grows back. Gun frames don't.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Commodore 64 posted:

Well I went to go try out a XDM and fell in love with the 92FS instead. Just picking it up made me want it.

So, as I've been looking for a good used one; I found this one for sale/auction. I know Beretta made a small batch of combo 9mm/.40 92's and this one looks like a nice package. However, I know nothing about the going rate of the combo 92's. Is this a good deal or is this too much?

You're also paying at least a hundred bucks for Crimson Trace.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

DJExile posted:

Everything looks fantastic with holster wear.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Yeah, just stick with Mec-Gar or factory Beretta mags and you'll be fine. Beretta factory 15-rounders are usually around $18 to $20 a piece and you can find them everywhere. Beretta also makes 17-rounders, but the cheapest I've been able to find them is $25, and for that money you may as well get a Mec-Gar 18-rounder instead, which has the neat added bonus of witness holes and MG's nice anti-friction coating. Additionally, Beretta has recently put out a 30 round magazine from their factory that actually works, and it's priced at a reasonable $39.99.

Checkmate GI surplus mags also kick rear end.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Flikken posted:

Ftfy

Any malfunctions i had with a beretta were with those lovely mags.

My anecdote cancels out your anecdote!

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Flikken posted:

2:1 I lose, another internet argument failure.

Realtalk: unless they were new (in which case, ), you could've gotten some that were beaten out of spec.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

They can if they're not in battery.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

It has no holster wear.

I hate because I love

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Thepossiblelight posted:

If i had a choice between a 92f and a 92f compact, what should i get?

compact

it's like an 84 you can afford to shoot

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Mad Dragon posted:

Uuuugh. The 92S HAD the decocker in the right place.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Operating Rod posted:

Another dumb question - is dry-racking a 92 going to hurt it over time? I know people frown on it for 1911s but I see people power stroke poly guns dry all the time.

We're all gonna die, man. The real key is not to fear the reaper.

No.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Slappy Moose posted:

I had a dream where I found a Beretta 92FS in perfect condition for 400 dollars at some pawn shop. I excitedly bought it, only to somehow have it change into some ridiculous looking, really short barreled .22LR as soon as I got home.

God damnit, I really want a Beretta

There's always a Beretta 87.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Mad Dragon posted:

That's...exceedingly well done.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

The recoil spring on a 92D is the same as a 92FS. You'll be fine.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

OldSquid posted:

How hard are these to replace? I have what I think is the same issue with one of my mags. It will chamber the first and second round fine, but the third and subsequent rounds fail to chamber the same way IuniusBrutus described.

I have 6 other mags with zero issues, so I know it's the mag.
You can also get you some +5% or +10% power mag springs off
Wolff. They're cheaper than the stock ones on Brownells, and they'll show those loving cartridges who's boss.

(The boss is you)

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Take your polymer and get the gently caress out.

just kidding I think the Nano is pretty cool

thermobollocks fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 25, 2012

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

The 16 is the stock pull weight in a Beretta 92D, which will work well with a variety of ammunition. I've never tried the 13, but I'd imagine it's getting into the territory where you'll have to load your own and pay attention to what primers you use.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

mikerock posted:

What can you guys tell me about the 92SB

It's an earlier variant, before the 92F even. Nifty, well-built, doesn't include the beefier parts that will save your face if you happen to be doing stress testing at the naval surface warfare center.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

infrared35 posted:

Yep, the standard DA/SA hammer has a half-cock position.

I also love detail stripping these guns. Especially the D guns. Armorer school was where I really fell in love with them. Not as simple as a Glock, but ever so elegant.

I'm not a fan of having the grip panel hold in the connector, or that little bastard of a spring providing tension on the same, or having to drive out those two little vampire fang pins from the decocker, but still.

infrared35 posted:

Side note: the local guy who is selling a Glock 20 for $350 is also selling a DAO Beretta 9000 for $300.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

IuniusBrutus posted:

My LGS has a moderately-used Beretta 92A1 (removable front sight and rail) with 4 17-round Beretta magazines and the original box/material for $400.

Decent price or no?

I think so.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

IuniusBrutus posted:

It might not go anywhere now - I forgot how much nicer the triggers are on these are a D spring swap. That said, the rail kills the lines of the pistol, as well as my holster options.

Get you the metal trigger, too, and Wolff that bitch out.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

IuniusBrutus posted:

Well, magazines...AFAIK they still are using Checkmate magazines which are pretty ehhh compared to Beretta/Mec-Gar.

I thought the deal with the Checkmates involved the coating the military asked for reacting badly with desert dust. I haven't had any problems with mine, but Colorado dust is made of gold bullion and unicorn jizz.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

IuniusBrutus posted:

Cole's Distributing has a couple of FRAME SAFETY 92s for sale for good prices.

Here is the nicest of the bunch, though they start at $300: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=297197283

gently caress my dollars.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

SadWhaleFamily posted:

How much would one have to worry that the slide will bury itself in one's face in a couple decades of shooting?

Yours? I wouldn't worry.

Just don't feed it 30,000 rounds of NATO ammo. Commercial-spec 9 plus regularly paying attention to the insides and you'll be fine.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

As of right now, those of you with a 92/96 who don't want to buy an 87 can get this: http://www.berettausa.com/products/92-series-22-lr-practice-kit/j9022pk/

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

That's rather good for an unfucked Brigadier.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Try some ball and dummy, as well. It's really easy to do if you have a big pile of 9mm with no powder/primer (you can do this easily if you reload). Stack magazines with a 50/50 mix of live and not-live.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

HuskerDu posted:

Slide safety? What slide safety?

Sorry for awful cell phone pic. Just picked it up this weekend -can't wait to take it for a spin.

Haven't even fired it and I'm already dreaming about a Beretta 70S the local shop has. drat you, Beretta thread!

I wonder if a decent gunsmith (think National Match M9) could convert it for a proper magazine release and work the action...

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Carbohydrates posted:

No idea. It's telescoping and collapses a bit when the slide goes back. Attempted recoil reduction?

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1440 Does it look like this?