Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Little late, but can I join the Beretta party? I am wearing an appropriate hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Uh, okay. But if I send you my hat, I won't have anything to wear to the party...

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Huh. The 92FS I shot (the very first gun I'd ever shot) seemed to do this every time I chambered a new round from a fresh mag, regardless of the safety being engaged or not. I went shooting with two other clueless newbies, and we all noticed this behavior.

Were we shooting a geborken gun? :ohdear: It was a range in Burbank; perhaps that had something to do with it? :ca:

Another picture for the Beretta thread:

Snagged these walnut grips with medallion in a lucky Gunbroker auction :neckbeard:

I cannot verify if they are the official ones Beretta sold some time ago, but I'm happy anyway.

edit: whales why you gotta be stealin' my quotes, brah

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

thermobollocks posted:

I just typed out :words: for how to troubleshoot your broken FS, but it was the range's broken FS so gently caress it.

Short answer, it's dirty or broken.

Good to know, even though I do not have a FS, broken or otherwise.

92G superiority :smug:

Though I am actually interested in knowing what :words: you had typed.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Cool. It's neat to see how all those metal bits inside work together :)

I managed to poke the right parts in the right way to drop the hammer without using the trigger. Unfortunately, the hammer then fell on my thumb, pinching it between itself and the wiggly parts you mentioned. Now I have my first hammer bite, though it's on the pad of my thumb, and the gun wasn't even assembled :v:

thermobollocks posted:

If you engage/disengage the safety, you'll see that little pin on the slide poking up and down.

I don't see this pin, but I guess it's only essential for the safety to work, which doesn't exist in my model.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Wood grips are the best grips.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

The finish is worn off the entire backstrap of my 92. I wouldn't have it any other way.

edit: Just came back from a range trip with my younger brother. He inserts the first mag and then chambers a round.

Then this happened:

:negative:

Also, the gun failed to extract three times today. This also had the bonus of jamming the unextracted casing in the chamber, thanks to the next round slamming into it. Luckily, the range had a dowel and a mallet which we used to loosen the troublesome casing. After the second time this happened, I stripped my Beretta and used a staple to scrape the gunk out from behind the extractor claw. The gun ran fine until the third to last round of the day (out of 100), where it failed to extract again :(

I'm ordering a new extractor spring from Numrich. Hope that solves the problem.

Note: I was using TulAmmo. The steel casing of this ammo might have something to do with it, but I ran over 200 rounds of it before without trouble. In any case, should I just get Federal from now on and avoid any potential trouble TulAmmo could give me?

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 4, 2011

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Oh right, thanks for reminding me about the sticky case lubricant. I did scrub my bore and chamber out with automatic transmission fluid today, so maybe that will help. I'm guessing, though, that I should be using some other kind of solvent for best results... :sweatdrop:

I also found a video that shows how to remove the extractor, so I think I'll clean that off when I get the chance feel less lazy.

edit: Wolff just emailed me saying my 16 lb. hammer spring has shipped :woop:

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 4, 2011

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Sad day at the range with my 92 :( Had two FTEs again, this time with Silver Bear 115gr FMJ. Guess that's what I get for listening to a buddy tell me his Silver Bear works fine in all his guns :v:

I had cleaned the crap out of my extractor and chamber after the last range trip o' FTEs, and I brought 100 rounds today to see if that had resolved the problem. The first FTE was about 35 rounds in. I locked the slide back, dropped the magazine, and very gently eased the slide forward until the extractor claw grabbed the rim again. I then pulled back, gradually adding strength, until the case popped out. This is what it looked like (click for huger):

What the hell could cause the case to deform like this? :confused:

Stupidly, I decided to keep on testing. Five or so rounds later, another FTE :sigh: I did the above procedure again, but somehow this time the case wouldn't come loose. I had to get a dowel from the range, but it came out easily with that. The case wasn't deformed at all this time, though. I took a pic of it once I got home:

I don't get it. In any case, I guess I'll just never ever again use any steel-cased ammo in this gun.

Tangentially related, and I should probably post the story in the confessions thread, but anyone want 400+ rounds of Silver Bear 9mm that I bought too much of before ensuring it'd work in my gun? :v:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Maybe now's the time to replace your extractor spring? Or get your chamber really cleaned out and polished if that's not a horrible thing to do to a 92.

Well, I scrubbed it out with a brass brush just now, and it's as shiny as I can get it. In any case, I did a little test with some fired cases I found lying around the house. The steel cases from today will not fit into the chamber if I drop them in. I found a couple of fired brass cases, and they drop right in.

Guess that means I have 459 rounds of ammo I can't shoot :(

Related: is it safe to keep 59 rounds of loose ammo rolling around in a cardboard box? :v:

edit: 459_rounds_of_sad.jpg

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 17, 2011

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Kommienzuspadt posted:

You only had a couple FTEs dawg. Its fine for practice ammo don't sweat it.

This is two FTEs in 41 rounds, and this is after three FTEs in 100 rounds of TulAmmo previously. Five of the same kind of failure in fewer than 150 rounds seems a bit high of a rate to me.

Anyway, should I just suck it up and bring my brass dowels with me to every range trip?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Now that I think about it, I don't think I have run brass ammo through this gun. I'll try a couple boxes of those next time.

I really really hope I won't need a new extractor or extractor spring, but from the sound of it, I'm pretty sure it's just the steel cases.

SadWhaleFamily posted:

In my experience, that kind of case-mouth deformation really only happens when the extracted case bangs into the receiver somewhere on its way out. How forcefully did it eject when you got it to pop out?

The stuck case didn't pop out particularly forcefully. I guess it banged into the cutout in the barrel where the extractor claw goes or something.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Boo! :neckbeard:

Today I ran 100 rounds of Winchester (i.e., brass-cased ammo) through my 92. No failures. I am hopeful. When I have more time, I will run another 100-round value box ammo.

Looks like I won't be using all this Silver Bear anymore. Good thing some dumbass good buddy has offered to buy it off me at cost, though :shobon:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I can't seem to get a solid answer anywhere else, so I figured I'd ask here: Does the 92G have the enlarged hammer pin like the 92FS? Or is it the older, smaller model like in the 92F?

All I can tell you is that my 92G has the enlarged hammer pin like the 92FS.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

GEEKABALL posted:

It has been a good Christmas. Wife got this 92FS, I got the whiskey.
Merry Christmas TFR goons.

:aaaaa:

Maybe I am a dumb, but I did not think 92FSs could be cocked and locked.

That looks like a very happy merry indeed :)

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

My ~kickin' rad~ refinished Beretta.

oh my goddddddddd :gizz:

Seeing your refinished Beretta always makes me want to get mine ODed, but then I realize that I'd just be a lame poseur :smith:

why you always gotta be so classy, carbohydrates :argh:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Since I was having failures to extract with my 92, I replaced the extractor spring and pin. Today, I shot 108 rounds of Silver Bear out of it to test the new spring.

Three failures to extract :smith:

Guess I'll just have to stick with brass-cased ammo, although the one FTE with Winchester Cheapobox my brother had while shooting it makes me worry a little.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

For what it's worth, if you never use the safety/decocker, you never have to worry about the DA trigger. The only thing you have to worry about the SA trigger is the approximately half-inch of travel before it engages the sear :v:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

DkHelmet posted:

Beretta factory .22 conversions for the 92FS just came back in stock for a limited run. If you missed the cheap Ceiner or otherwise dislike his products, here you go. These things are annoying tough to find.

https://www.berettausa.com/products/92-series-22-lr-practice-kit/j9022pk/

Already out of stock :(

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Get the 16 lb. Wolff hammer spring. You won't regret it. I got one and just kept the stock recoil spring, and my 92 works just fine.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Dammit, if I hadn't bought another gun and had twice the amount of money I spent on that gun, I'd get this and a can so fast in 8-12 months yay NFA.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I just now noticed that it's hammerless too :aaaaa::fh:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

infrared35 posted:

Yep. A D-series gun, with two uppers, the .40 being a Brigadier, and with a rail and a custom finish...

I only just now found out that 92Ds are normally hammerless :downs:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Might as well cross-post my 92D here for the sake of completeness.

I need to re-re-reread beetle's thread on taking gun pics and then actually do the things he says.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Itchy Itchiford posted:

Where's the cheapest place to get some factory 92fs grips? Used and worn is fine. What about grip screws? I pulled those ugly hogues off for a deep clean and the hex heads on it were completely hosed.

Summit Gun Broker seems to always have piles of new factory grips for :10bux: per set.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Is $380 a decent price for a Beretta 92 (no F or S)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=318915335

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

infrared35 posted:

Yep; just be aware that you'll need to be a little pickier about buying mags because of the location of the magazine catch on those guns.

Right, forgot about that. Funny, the 10-round mags I got with the 92D I bought from you have the cutout, but none of my factory 15-round mags have it. I sold all my 3rd-party mags with my 92G, and I remember they all had the cutout.

It's dremel time :v: (if I were actually going to buy this gun).

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Showing off my new checkered wood grips from Beretta.

I need more than a single dim light source for the poor-man's lightbox I threw together :shobon:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I think it will probably look even better on the stainless Inox :)

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

God:drat:

You done good, son

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

-92/96 D-series hammer spring (can I get a link to this being sold so I can make sure it's the right spring?)

Get the 16LB spring from Wolff here:

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/BERETTA/92,%2096,%20AND%20CENTURION/cID1/mID2/dID36#63

I put that in my 92G (when I had it) and it worked great.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

OldSquid posted:

Would recoil springs be advised as well? 96 series if that matters.

If so what would I expect from going lower/higher LB rating?

I've never replaced the recoil spring, so I can't offer any advice on that :shobon: I know very little about recoil springs and how their strengths compared to factory strength affect operation, either. Hopefully someone with real knowledge will chime in :)

92Deeznuts.jpg

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Juice posted:

Had some problems with my 92FS today at the range. It failed to extract the fired case, resulting in a double feed.

Buy an extractor spring and an extractor, and then view these videos on how to remove the extractor and put in the new spring and extractor.

(I hope it works for you, because it didn't solve the extraction problems I had with the 92G I ended up selling. :()

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Quick answer: no, according to TFR people. Insane Totoro can probably give you a more complete "no" answer.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

right arm posted:

I'm an idiot and didn't see that they were out of stock

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/be92fcowochg.html

those might work, but don't take my word for it

These are for the Compact 92 models, so they won't fit a full-size 92.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I have heard that Hogue's aluminum grips for the Beretta 92 are thinner than factory grips.

Trausch claims to have the thinnest grips for the 92. Site sucks, so click "Menu" on the left, and then "Grips" to see a crappy picture. "Order" appears to suggest you can order it online.

edit: Now, whether any of these are not ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Blight Runner posted:

BerettaUSA website has .22LR kits in stock again for the M92fs. Grab one if you missed out last time, like I did.

Here's the link for those who'd rather not dig through pages of Beretta full sized pistol accessories until you happen upon it: http://www.berettausa.com/products/92-series-22-lr-practice-kit/j9022pk/

eta: oops, many days out of date. It's out of stock

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Final Blog Entry posted:

Yeah I saw that kit but also figure it's likely already got the steel trigger. Wolff sells just the hammer spring for $4.25 in a variety of weights. Luckily this is TFR and I'm sure someone will be along shortly who knows for sure.

You'll want the Wolff 16# spring. I had it in a 92G, and the double-action pull was a lot lighter and smoother, plus I never had any light primer strikes.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

You can buy the Wolff 16 lb spring here instead: http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/BERETTA/92,%2096,%20AND%20CENTURION/cID1/mID2/dID36#63

Worked great in a 92G I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009