Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

infrared35 posted:

Beretta thread!

Old 8x series vs. new. 1970s production 81 on the left, 1990s production 85F on the right:

The 81 and the 82 are basically the equivalent of the 84 and the 85, however the 81 and 82 are .32 ACP instead of .380. The 81 is a double-stack like the 84, but despite it using a smaller round, it actually holds one less round in the magazine due to feeding issues caused by .32 ACP's semi-rimmed case design. The 82 is a single-stack like the 85.

Some cosmetic differences between the two: The biggest one to me is the recurved trigger guard on the newer models. The finish is also different, with the older guns being blued and the newer ones having the flat black Bruniton finish. There are also some subtler cues, such as the rear of the slide - the older guns are a little sleeker there. The older guns have an exposed notch in the slide for the slide stop, where the newer guns have a hidden notch. And the sights on the newer models are a little more substantial.

The biggest mechanical difference is that the safety on the older guns allows for cocked-and-locked carry, where the safety on the newer guns acts as a decocker, much like on the 92F. Another mechanical difference is that the newer guns have a magazine disconnect safety installed. This is pretty easily removed though - a much easier conversion than on a Browning Hi Power.

More to follow later.

Ugh, those look so awesome. I want that 85. And a 92. And a 92 brigadier. Sometimes I'm almost tempted to sell off my CZ85 and replace it with a Beretta...almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Two things:

First, after the pictures posted early in this thread, I had to go to the gun store and handle an 85...I loved it. I've never wanted a .380 so hard in my life before. It felt so small and comfy, yet I had no trouble getting a great grip on it. I must have one, but why are they so much more expensive new than a 92 :(

which brought me to my second point. As I left, I began to lament the fact that beretta didn't make a single stack 9mm. Than the last few posts blew my mind. How rare is rare, and do they feel as great as I think they would?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ffffffffffffffff i would be fine with a da/SA, but I bet they are still expensive as hell when they show up.

Not that it matters, since an 85 has to come first. Apparently I can get used ones for a hair above $300 if I look. It's like a vz82 without a fat rear end.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Still digging around for a full-size 9mm.

I've shot a 92fs before and really like it, so I've been looking around shops for a used one. Local store just gone one in on consignment - 92D (the DAO one) Centurion with one magazine for $475. Really nice shape. How's the price?

I know DAO = bleh around here, but the trigger seemed ok, just a little heavy. Any way to lighten it up a bit? Also, will the centurion model work in standard size 92 holsters?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Kind of figured - especially when I could get a new M9 from the same place for $525. Any reason to avoid police trade-ins with Berettas?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

No, police trade ins are great because cops rarely fire their guns.

Ok, just have to decide if I want to hold out for a 92D, or if a FS/G model will work (if I decide against a sig).

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Summit is out of 92G. :(

Are there any other good sources of used, quality 92G or 92FS right now?

edit: Also, what are my options for sights on fixed-front sight Berettas? What about sligtly slimmer grips? And what is the legit unbiased stance on Beretta locking block durability? All I can see to find is anecdotal evidence regarding early, early models being used by the military.

After some thought, I've decided that a Beretta would be a better choice than P226, with my only misgivings really being the front sight and durability (grips are for my dad, not for me!).

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 29, 2011

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Ehhh...$430 seems really high for a police trade-in Beretta, especially from a online retailer where I have to pay $20 shipping + $30 transfer fee - my dealers have ones for just about $540 new, which means I'd get a brand new pistol for just $50 more or so.

the $389 Summit ones looked nice though... :(

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Has anyone here used one of the Ceiner Beretta .22 conversions? I know the guy is an rear end, but my dad wouldn't mind getting one if they aren't junk.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

This is two FTEs in 41 rounds, and this is after three FTEs in 100 rounds of TulAmmo previously. Five of the same kind of failure in fewer than 150 rounds seems a bit high of a rate to me.

Anyway, should I just suck it up and bring my brass dowels with me to every range trip?

Have you tried running any brass ammo through it yet? If you have issues with that too, you might need an extractor.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Boo! :neckbeard:

Today I ran 100 rounds of Winchester (i.e., brass-cased ammo) through my 92. No failures. I am hopeful. When I have more time, I will run another 100-round value box ammo.

Looks like I won't be using all this Silver Bear anymore. Good thing some dumbass good buddy has offered to buy it off me at cost, though :shobon:

I'm almost upset about this

sell me your 92G

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Was the 92D LE only like the 92G, or did Beretta release them to the civilian market? I'm having trouble locating any full-sized ones. :saddowns:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

unnnnngh i just bought my SIG goddammit!

Is that a pretty good price on these? Or is it something I can let go and hope to find it again?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Just received my Beretta from Summit Gun Broker, and it owns bones. Shoots great, super clean, nice bright night sights - by far my favorite full-size 9mm I've ever had. Only issue is that the slide doesn't like to lock back - on one mag it does it about 50% of the time, and the other it never does. It's not a huge issue at the moment, but I'd like to get it taken care of.

I'm going to assume it's not from the notch in the slide wearing, since the pistol looks very lightly used. Do the slide catches on these wear? Or should I look at a spring for it?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, I can manually engage the slide stop with no issues.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

The one that occasionally locks the slide back is marked "PB CAL. 9 PARA MADE IN ITALY" and has LE Only markings on the other side. The other magazine is marked the same, except it is made in USA, ACKK, MD.

Both are 15-rounders as well. Each have some sort of rack/ID number written on them, so I imagine they were actually issued at some point, and not just cheap magazines thrown in by the distributor.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Post pictures while I wait for mine. Also, yeah, unless the follower of your magazines are horribly dirty or mutilated it's almost definitely the magazine spring. The fact that you can engage the slide catch manually just fine means the mag is not doing it properly, which pretty much has to be one of those two things. The PB marking is Pietro Beretta, which indicates factory mags, so you can't just chalk it up to crappy aftermarket mags.

I wish I could take better pictures. :(

Mark told me that they weren't in as nice of shape as the prior batch - I find that hard to believe, since the only cosmetic damage to it is literally a half-dozen pin sized marks. No real holster wear, even. Put 50 rounds through it yesterday and it shot amazing - these are by far the smoothest shooting pistols I've ever dealt with. Ok, now that I know what P B means, I know what magazines to look for. IIRC the current US magazines are junk, right? If so, I'll stay away from any "surplus" or L@@K MIL-SPECT BERETTA 92M9A1FS HIGH-CAP MAGS. I don't have another Beretta to try the magazines in, but I need to order some more anyways - if the new Mec-Gar or Beretta mags have no issues, then all is well. Totally pumped to get some 17-rounders up in this bitch.

I'm also loving how easy it is to get cheap parts, holsters, etc. for this. I love my CZs, but you can't find used anything for them, and there isn't much of an aftermarket yet. I'm already planning on getting a threaded barrel and spring kit, and I'm strongly considering a skeletonized hammer for fun. Interestingly, these have the first plastic grips which I think look and feel nice enough to not require immediate replacement.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 11, 2011

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

The only reason I really noticed the problem was because it was happening while shooting it. :sigh: I fooled around with inserting the magazine with the slide off though, and it appears the magazine spring is weaker than the slide stop spring, which is causing the follower to be forced down rather than the slide stop be forced up. I'll get some Wolff +10 springs for it, and I think I'll be ok.

Did Beretta ever make a pistol with a slightly larger mag release on it? I'd like one with a mag release just a wee-bit longer than the stock one, but I need to keep it SSP legal for IDPA, so it has to have come on a stock pistol

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Has anyone here tried Ceiner's Beretta .22 conversion? I know he's a massive dick, but for $200 I'm tempted (as long as he stays out of jail), plus I'd have something I could thread for a suppressor.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Juice posted:

Learn to use the slide release. It's faster in competition.

:rolleyes: pfh. Gamer.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Both languages are the products of smelly barbarians who wear pants, so I fail to see why it matters. :colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I keep seeing an ad for a Dawson rail that attaches to a standard Beretta 92 frame. I assume this drills through the bottom of the dust cover? Or does it attach in a non-destructive way?

Please tell me its the second. :(

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Are there any differences between F and FS models other than the enlarged hammer pin? Can the F models still take the same parts otherwise?

edit: did we determine if Checkmate GI magaziens are garbage or good?

edit2: see below

edit3: :downs:

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 7, 2012

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

infrared35 posted:

They're okay for range mags, but factory mags and Mec-Gars are much, much better.

Edit: And "MGS" mags are good, too.

Where is the cheapest place to get the Mec-Gars? Their site has them for $35 for the 18-rounders, and $30 for the 15, but I feel like I've seen them cheaper than that.

edit: looks like CDNN has 18-roudners for $27

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

stangman posted:

Same here. No other handgun will ever look as awesome as a 92FS to me, it's like hard-coded into my brain. A 92FS was my first handgun, and I still shoot better with it than with anything else I have.

Had this setup for a while, but I've since sold the .22 kit. :( 92FS slide on top, 96G centurian, and .22 on the bottom.

Did you like your .22 kit? Who is the manufacturer? I'd be down with spending $200 on a Ceiner kit (so long as he isn't in the clink already), but for the $350 for the Beretta one I'd rather have a Kadet kit for my CZ.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Thanks - I'll pick up a couple of round mec-gar, and then fill them out with cheap Checkmate ones for range use.

Can I put any Beretta 92 upper on a D frame? Is the fit universal enough to work? Or does it have to be a D upper, or even worse, a D upper that was fitted to that gun?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

infrared35 posted:

If it's an FS upper, it should go right on a D frame. Then you'd have a DAO with a slide safety.

I know it'd be pretty :downs:, but I can't find a drat D-model that isn't a Centurion to save my life, and my spare SA/DA frame could be used for a .22 kit or .40 upper or something.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

IR35^^^

That's the first Vertec I've seen that I liked. The light hanging off the bottom and shorter barrel make it look pretty decent.

rifles posted:

Here is a kit for $149
http://www.summitgunbroker.com/22_conversion__.html
Sorry to your wallet.

You bastard. Just used his order form and emailed him. I WILL have one. For $149, even if it doesn't work well enough for my tastes, I can probably get my money back. If it works well, I'm getting this bitch threaded.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

:saddowns: :saddowns: :saddowns:

Didn't even think to check, but no, it really isn't. I've only ever called in orders for them before. Oh well. Time to look out for itunes charges followed by $4000 orders for Vietnamese prostitutes.

At least he got it and its shipping tomorrow - time to start looking for a cheap frame, now.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

infrared35 posted:

Double posting to say I got my conversion kit today! That was fast. I ordered it during lunch on Monday, and it got here at lunch on Wednesday. Props to Summit Gunbroker.

Edit: Also, it's definitely used but it appears to be in good mechanical condition. And it does have a firing pin safety, which is potentially important to those of us running DAO guns. :ohdear:

Why is the firing pin safety important?

I WOULD have gotten mine today...if I had given him mailing address. :saddowns:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

cross post from .22 thread:

Just got my Ceiner Beretta .22 kit in today as well. Going to shoot it Sunday, hopefully.

First: Does anyone know where exactly the little rubber disk thing on the recoil spring is supposed to be put?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Range Report on my .22 Ceiner kit for my Beretta:

Shot pretty well. Only ran about 100 rounds of Federal bulk through it - had one FTF, and one FTE resulting in a double feed. Otherwise, everything seems solid. Dry fired it a few times because the slide doesn't have a last-round hold open, which is irritating. The sights kinda suck on them, but nevertheless I was still shooting just as good as my Ruger at close range. Recoil is laughable, even for a .22 pistol.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Slappy Moose posted:

So, I want to get a pistol when I turn 21 in a few months. I really, really want to get a Beretta (some kind of 9mm, probably 92 model) because I have loved the look of them since I first saw Die Hard and played Max Payne. The ammo is cheap, they are supposed to be sturdy as a rock, they can hold 15 rounds in a mag, and oh my god did I mention that they are so gorgeous?

I have never fired one, because I don't know anyone who owns one and I've never seen one at the range. I've been warned that some people don't like to shoot them, why is that? If I were to buy one used, what kind of price should I expect? 550 for one in good quality? Is there anything I should check for when I inspect a potential purchase? What models might I like (besides 92FS)?

Paging IR35 to the Beretta thread -

They have huge grip circumferences, are fairly heavy, and have (typically) are SA/DA with a slide safety. Those are the main reason why people wouldn't like to shoot one...on the flip side, they tend to point well, and are very smooth and soft shooting guns. Holsters, magazines, and parts are everywhere for them as well.

$550 is nearly too much for a new one, let alone a used - you can get used police trade-ins for around $350 if you're patient, and I see used civilian ones in very good shape for around $400 all the time on Gunbroker. In addition to the FS, there is also the older F model, the double action only D model, and the G model which is exactly the same as an FS, but the safety is a decocker-only. There are also compacts (smaller frame and slide) and Centurion models (shorter slide) around too - there seems to be a bunch of Centurions floating around right now, and they are pretty neat. I saw a M9A1 (light rail, different backstrap, heavier slide, other updates) sit around on GB for $450 buy it now for several weeks before someone picked it up, which was a pretty good deal, so they are out there too.

Police trade-in. They have some even cheaper than this, and supposedly they aren't bad to deal with: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270010546

Little bit more expensive 92G, but looks to be in great shape: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270258473

edit: I know you mentioned you wanted a .22 pistol as well...you can get .22 conversion kits for Beretta. Supposedly, Beretta USA might be doing a run of the factory kits, but they cost $350...Ceiner made kits too, which were $200. If you can find a used one, they tend to run for that price still. I just got one and absolutely love it.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 19, 2012

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Slappy Moose posted:

That clears it up. I was pretty sure I knew what the problem would be with a transition between SA and DA but I wasn't totally sure. I doubt that would bother me, and the decocker thing doesn't sound like something I'd have an issue with.

Now I really can't wait to turn 21, gonna git drunk an shot all da boolits

At the range it will literally have zero effect on you, so go for it. They also make double action only Berettas too, which I have a mad lust for myself.

Also, just bought 9 magazines for $90. loving awesome (even if only half work right!)

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How much barrel muzzle endplay is normal on a Beretta 92 with the slide locked in battery?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

infrared35 posted:

With the slide all the way forward in battery, there shouldn't be much.

Alright - it's noticeable, but can't be too much. Not like it's expensive to put a barrel or locking block in anyways.

Has anyone tried one of the Cylinder and Slide trigger pull kits for a 92? I just noticed on Brownells that they even made one.

edit: I somehow managed to lose a grip screw. :saddowns:

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 9, 2012

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

infrared35 posted:

Or the almost-flush-fit 20-rounders. Those are awesome. Either way, mags are a good thing to have.

But yeah, a D spring or reduced-weight Wolf mainspring is about the only "mod" I would do on a Beretta, personally. I like the factory grips. :shobon:

Agreed. Beretta's are the only pistol I've handled where the stock grips seem to be almost ideal.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Does the D-spring swap affect SA pull at all? Also, are there any drop-in kits to reduce SA weight and take-up, or would it be easier to just buy an extra sear and hammer and stone them?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Paging IR35:

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=83350

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I'd be all over it for that price were it not for the fact that it'd be for carry, which I doubt is a great idea.