Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Fabbrica d'Armi Pietro Beretta was founded in 1526 by gunsmith Maestro Bartolomeo Beretta when the Asenal of Venice paid him 296 ducats for 185 arbuequs barrels. Since then, the company has remained a family-owned and managed business. These days, they are mostly known for their full-sized family of service pistols based on the 92FS, but they have a long history of rifle production, medium-frame pistols, pocket pistols, and crafting drat fine shotguns.

I'll get the ball rolling with a brief spurge about the Berettas that call my safe home.

96: Is just a 92 in 40 S&W. It has a reputation for quite likely being the softest shooting .40 service pistol ever made.

84BB: Do you like single action? Cocked and locked carry? Medium frames? Smaller calibers? Blued steel? double-stack mags? Then the 84BB will be right up your alley with 13 +1 rounds of .380 fury in a compact package with ambidextrous 1911-style safety.

My favorite, the model of 1934: Italy was very impressed with Walther's PP and PPK before the second of the World Wars and wanted something similar in 380 ACP. Beretta obliged with this thing.

Man has yet to find a classier way to dump a mag of .380 into an adversary's chest.

Beretta also made rifles for the fascists (and later the NAZIs after occupation of the plant) to the end of WWII: A quick example being my cavalry carbine.

I lack experience with their shotguns, a void in my gun safe I hope to fill someday. Someone else will have to talk about those.

F.A.Q:

Will the slide break and knock out my teeth if I shoot a 92FS? No. The hammer pin is enlarged into a groove in the slide should it snap in half. Besides, the slides don't break more often than other autos to be worth the concern. If you are still worried, get a Brigadier variant.

Brigadier? The area of the slide around the locking lugs is left a bit beefier than standard to help with longevity. This was made most famous by the Customs and Border Patrol with their 96D Brigadiers carried throughout my childhood. IR35, please send me yours

What the gently caress is a D spring? Beretta made a line of DAO 92s and 96s for a while and installed a lighter mainspring in them than they were in the FS series pistols. This lightened the trigger and smoothed it out noticeably.

Why would I want a skeletonized hammer on my 92/96? If you are anal-retentive enough to want a faster lock time, the hammers are pretty easy to install, some people also just think they look cool.

Where should I get spare mags for my 92/96/21? Either get factory or Mec-Gar. I have not really found any other mags worth screwing with.

Links:

Beretta USA - Beretta's U.S. site complete with white duty holsters as issued to the Carabinieri.

David Olhasso's Beretta Site - A good place to get parts(for the 92/96, Cougar, and PX4) and one of the few guys to regularly have locking block kits and D spring in stock. I've never had a problem ordering from him.

Beretta Forum - A good place to go for answers relating mostly to the 92/96, Bobcats/Tomcats, 84/85 series guns, and the Storm series of pistols and carbines. They like the older stuff, but have a shortage of good history nerds.

Beretta92FS.com - A series of free disassembly videos for the 92FS.

Mec-Gar - They make high-quality mags for the 92, 96, 84, 21 (both 22 LR and 25 ACP, and 950. Their 13 round 96 mags work great and are the exact size of the standard 11 round Beretta OEM mags, and their 18 round 92 mags are the same to the standard 15 round OEM mags.

By the way, Beretta also owns Benelli, Franchi, SAKO, Stoeger, Tikka, and Uberti so feel free to talk about any of those, as well.

I will try to fluff out this OP as I dig up some of my old links to build a link section, I get more material for the F.A.Q, some effort-posts roll in on later pages, and my computer stops crashing. Pocket pistols will get their own post as soon as I get my wife to take her 21a out of her pocket so I can take a few pictures.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Has anyone ever wondered how to field-strip a Beretta 1934?

1. Safe the pistol after it is confirmed to be unloaded:

2. Pull the slide all the way back and the safety will click into the disassembly notch to hold it open:

3. Push on the muzzle until the barrel snaps back:

4. Lift the barrel out of the ejection port:

5. Remember that the safety can now just fall out of the frame and you are done:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Unskilled Labour posted:

My 682 Gold E Double Trap, with adjustable stock.

I am firmly in the double-trigger camp, but between the Beretta a certain Brit uses to bring home many tasty game birds and your clay buster, I am getting closer to saying screw it and just buying a Beretta single trigger and all.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Beretta story:

I grew up in a law-enforcement family through the '90s. That's right, the beginning of the tacticlol phase, TAPCO as far as the eye could see. My mother's department was content with its 3rd Generation 45 caliber Smith autos and 870s (hell, they even stuck with PR-24s until the new millenium), my father's...

Tactical SKS as a patrol rifle, "hey let's ditch these GP-100s for some G17s", "Hey let's ditch these G17s for the stoppin' powah of the G22", 590s with ghost rings as shotguns, the whole works. I got to play with them all, falling in love with 40 S&W along the way. gently caress the haters, 40 is a hoot.

Anyway, my father burned out of general police work in a hard way and gave his department his two weeks notice. A town up north offered him an SRO position and he jumped at the chance to never again need to wrestle a drunk out of a car, in the snow, on a busy highway. I no longer got to shoot with him much after that. His new chief had some anal-retentive policies regarding duty weapons and the department range was not to be used for personal fun. Officers were given practice ammo by the town to use on their own time, but my father seemed dis-interested in taking his new service pistol to the range and I never got to shoot it. He didn't care for DA/SA, watching a hammer drop free to de-cock annoyed him, and 9x19mm was not his cup of tea.

When his department decided to go to the G21 as an issue weapon due to fears of 9mm over-penetration :eng99:, he happily handed over his 92FS to at least carry a GLOCK once more. Never a fan of .45, he liked the pistol itself better and never complained.

Fast-forward to my 21st birthday. I picked up my new license at the DMV and went to my favorite death merchant to buy some ammo. As I looked in his pistol case, I noticed a gently caress-ton of Berettas and asked to handle one just because I had never really been able to see how my father's felt. It felt amazing, just loving perfect in my hand, the sights came up dead-on-target, and I started to hand it back. A little spot of white caught my eye and I noticed a caliber designation on the barrel; I was holding a forty. I had no money, so I had to hand it back over. "See you by the weekend!" Said the clerk.

"Meh, I'm busy and can't afford anything much right now, so no."

I told my wife about the Beretta and how it was just right for me when I got home. As I whined about not having the money to buy it, she huffed at me and stormed out of the room. As I tried to think of what I said to annoy her, she came back into the room and threw a box at my head. A box full of money that she had been saving all year to buy me a handgun for my birthday. I was told that she planned to take me to a gun store to find out what I liked and buy it.

As I walked into the store the next day, the owner smiled a devious grin and placed the 96 on the counter. "I knew you would be back."

It was a while before I got a chance to go shooting with my father again, and I brought my no-beloved Beretta with us. After seeing how small a group he could make with my K 31, he began to mutter about all the things he hated about his old 92. As a matter of loyalty to 40 S&W, though, he asked to run a mag through the 96. I saw a crooked grin cross his face and I am pretty sure he even giggled. Every last round of compliment my wife for her taste in presents. To this day, he loves my 96 and shoots it whenever we go to the range. I guess a little time and a favorite caliber were all it took to change his mind.

I stopped carrying the 96 after it had been on my hip every day for a year when I grew tired of the holes its safety wore in my shirts. A G23 follows me around now and reminds me of my father, but if I finally break and pick up a 96D, I might go back to an Italian brick and tell my G23 to go gently caress itself.

infrared35 posted:

...The 81 was my choice, partly because it was probably the only "high capacity" conventional .32 handgun ever made... My local fudd shop had one for $289 and it was impossible to say no...

gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you. I have yet to see one around here in anywhere near that condition for less than $400. gently caress you.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 5, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

DAO you say?

Let's add single-stack to the mix with the Beretta 92D Type M. 8+1 rounds of 9mm in a compact package with a silky-smooth trigger. Someday, I will have money in my pocket when I run across one. So far, I have only been able to drool and dry fire a few times.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Regular Type M for $775: http://www.gunsamerica.com/920562756/Guns/Pistols/Beretta-Pistols/Model-92-series/Beretta_92_FS_Compact_RARE_type_.htm

One for $700: http://www.armslist.com/posts/49524/fort-collins-colorado-handguns-for-sale-beretta-92-sb-compact-type-m-9mm-with-extras

An old SB Type M for $550: http://www.gunsamerica.com/920474339/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Pistols/Beretta-Pistols/Model-92-series/Beretta_92SB_Comp_Type_M.htm

Also for IR35, I know there are some Centurion slide Type Ms kicking around.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tell us more. And by that, I mean, "come to NH so I can break some clays with that thing."

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Absolut_V posted:

I have been thinking about replacing my 24/7 Pro with a 96 for a while now. This thread may have made up my mind.

The 96 is a great pistol, and after a few thousand rounds through mine, the internals are still great looking. It has some holster wear now, but that is it.

Are you thinking of getting an original 96 like mine in the O.P. or a new A1?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You may join, but we do collect dues. Simply send me your G model and we will be happy to accept you.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mad Dragon posted:

Yes. There should be a DIY linked on the first page.

edit: ...or not. It was in my box thread.

http://beretta92fs.com/index.html

It's in the link section in the OP.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 27, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

DrakeriderCa posted:

...This thread is total torture. It has proven to me that the best Berettas are the Berettas we can't have in Canada. :smith: Those 84's are gorgeous, and I love Tomcats with their cute little flip up barrels.

Combine the two and have the best of both worlds with the 86 Cheetah:

They are single-stacks, too bad Beretta never made a double-stack 86 for my own amusement.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

...I've been interested in one since seeing Léon way back.

gently caress, why did I not toss anything from that movie in the O.P? Let me fix that.

Haha, I forgot he had a can on the comped Beretta.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 11, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Also gently caress .40. It really doesn't do you much good except add more ammo to buy. Find an original 9mm.

Someone really needs to shoot a 96. It tames the Short & Weak into a gentle kitten, purring in your hands.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

It's still stupid :colbert:

Can we at least agree that Beretta is awesome over a glass of somewhat palatable wine with a goon on the label?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

They are selling goon wine?!?!?!

I have no idea, I just bought this sangiovese because the guy on the label very much looks to be a goon:

They are selling goon beer kits, however:

http://craftabrew.com/

And offer a goon discount last I heard.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

ifire posted:

I want to join the Beretta party too!

My wife carries a 21a and I can never get her to hand it to me to take pictures. Once I succeed, I'll get a post up about the cute little things. Looking at your Tomcat reminds me how very much I want a 950BS.

commissargribb posted:

This was weird as hell but cool as gently caress to shoot and only solidifies my desire to get a baby B'retta.

Glad you liked it. Before you guys showed up, OWLS! was dinging the helium tanks with it at the full 65 yards.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

IuniusBrutus posted:

edit: Also, what are my options for sights on fixed-front sight Berettas? What about sligtly slimmer grips? And what is the legit unbiased stance on Beretta locking block durability? All I can see to find is anecdotal evidence regarding early, early models being used by the military...

You can send you slide to have the front drilled for a tritium vial.

As far as locking blocks, it depends:

- There are several generations of blocks and the first generations do wear out. They had sharp corners that would help start cracks. The second and third generations rounded the corners and don't fail often at all.

- There is not really a common point for failure, and catastrophic failures are no more common that sheared slide stops in Hi-Powers/1911s. Just peek at the block once in a while. You will notice a hairline crack or odd/uneven wear before it will be an actual problem. You can buy a new block/plunger/plunger pin set from Olhasso for $60.

- As for durability, the Beretta 96 uses the same locking block and recoil spring as a 92 despite the extra battering they get from 40 S&W. I have yet to hear any complaints about them crapping out.

I'll dig out some resources regarding locking blocks in the morning.

<- My mother lets the kids watch MLP and my son was rattling off their names yesterday. I deserve this for not putting my foot down and telling her to knock it off.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 29, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

This picture belongs here:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

WHY DID THEY SWITCH FROM FRAME TO SLIDE MOUNTED SAFETIES?!?!?!

Thank the French, sort of. A bunch of police agencies (many French, but most Italian) liked the pistol but did not want the frame safety, so Beretta redesigned the pistol to take a slide safety.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 4, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I want a 418 Bantam so bad it hurts.

And if My wife was not going to the gun store with me tomorrow to try out a 950BS and put it on layaway for an early Christmas present if she likes it, I would buy the poo poo out of that step side 92

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

^^^
I would settle for just the chance to shoot one.

LifeSizePotato posted:

That's also the rarer step slide version of the original 92. The first few thousand had that raised portion on the slide, which I think looks a lot better.

You have one of these, and I am okay with it. I quickly Youtube the 418 after saying that I want one, and notice that you own one of those, as well. Bastard. :argh:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Strip it and look for cracks. Buy the fucker.

To strip:

- Pop barrel and push it all the way forward.

- Pull up on the front of the slide to pop it out.

- Move slide forward a bit to get the frame nubs out ot the grooves in the slide.

- Done.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ugly as sin, but I want one. It would be my one obligatory black rifle.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If I pass up a Beretta 92 Compact with two full-size 15 round 92 mags in excellent internal condition and very carried, but well-loved eternal condition for $375, will I hate myself?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm on a tight budget until Christmas, but I'll see if I can talk him into doing a long-term layaway so I don't miss it.

It's a consignment piece that he is offering me a discount on for being a reliable regular, so he may not be able to hold it that long.

Edit: If he can't hold it for a month, I am seriously considering putting in a few hours of overtime each week to get it now-ish.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 19, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

No, but I can still buy new ones from Beretta.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 19, 2011

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

...either the 84 or 85, should I go for the single stack or double stack?

The 84 is identical in dimension to the CZ 82. If you want thinner to avoid buying something so similar, then the 85 would be your option.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

LifeSizePotato posted:

I bolded the part I'm thinking of. The slack, take-up, creep, whatever it's called. It bothers me that on my 92, even in SA mode there's a good ~1/2" of slack where the trigger does nothing, finally dropping the hammer when it's almost touching the frame. Not a huge deal, all said and done, but I thought maybe there was a simple-ish tweak to make it break sooner.

It is a two-stage trigger by design. Pick up something K31 and it will be even more pronounced. They were not designed for one pull the entire length. The shooter is supposed to take up the first stage (slack) while getting ready to shoot. The trigger pull proper when ready is then very crisp.

Granted your spiffy old 92 may have a creepier second stage than new Berettas, I've never shot one. If that is the case, just ignore me.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Basticle posted:

summit has 96Gs now http://www.summitgunbroker.com/96G.html

:dong: I hope they are still there after I get my Police Positive.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm almost tempted to sell a kidney for that. :allears:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You are off to a running start. :golfclap:

Now go buy a bunch of 18 round Mec-Gar mags.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bruniton coated, or stainless? It seems that the Inox pistols had the reputation for breakage.

Anyway, there are a few things to keep in mind with a Tomcat:

- There is no extractor, and that puts some people off. I don't mind, personally.

- Hot loads should be avoided and were the cause of most cracked guns.

- If you shoot cartridges with a shorter OAL than average ball, you should make sure rimlock won't become an issue.

- The mag release was made to be worked with your support hand. This keeps the release well-protected and you shouldn't have a problem with self-ejecting mags in your pocket, but it is different from most pistols.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 15, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If you can pop the slide off and check the frame for cracks/damage and it looks okay, I would go for it. The price is fair.

They are very easy to field-strip:

- Pop the barrel up and rotate it all the way forward.

- Pull up the front of the slide and it will slip forward off the rear nubs.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

They made them in 32 ACP and 22 LR, as well. And you do need one, they are ergonomic as all hell and shoot great.

The 70 series was introduced to phase out the old Puma line (post-war commercial 1934s and 1935s):

The safety was moved to a proper 1911-style position, the grips were upgraded, the ergonomics improved, and the mag release made a button on the heel rather than a clip. Depending on year, the sights are a tad better, as well.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 16, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

A button safety?

Yes, you tag it to the right with your thumb to take it off. It looks wonky and is sub-optimal, but is much better than the old 180 degree safeties over the trigger like the 1934 at the top of the page. It is also a bit easier to use than you would imagine.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I like you. Now go slip in a D spring.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mad Dragon posted:

I want two, so I can pretend to be Christian Bale. Is that wrong? :ohdear:

Yes. Be classy:

http://www.berettausa.com/products/87-cheetah22lrblued/wood-8rd/

I will have one sooner or later.

In all honesty, the target models do kick rear end and I am just an old-fashioned jackass.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Oh, gently caress you.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If carry is an option, the compact. Beretta still makes new magazines for them and the guns still feel great in the hand.

If carry isn't an option, get the full-size. Mags are more plentiful/cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Eh, a bit bigger than an 84.

Either is fine, and it is a very good deal on the compact if carry or collecting variants are your thing. I stand by a full-size if it is purely a practical range-boaster.

I'd get the compact, personally.