Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

I am looking to get thinner grips for my M9A1 and the Aluminagrips caught my eye ( though they're quite costly at $65 at Brownells). Does anybody here have an opinion on them?

On a similar note, I have this urge to buy those grips in silver, an Inox barrel, and a steel trigger with the Wolff trigger spring. I've never seen this combo and maybe it will look good? Tell me this won't look stupid with all the contrasting silver and black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Neo Mara posted:

Couldn't give you a pic exaclty like that but I can repost this:

Yeah that gun is purrrdy and why I think this two-tone thing could work...
I think I'm sold on the grips at this point

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

R-Type posted:

Today I recieved a belated Christmas present from an old friend. Its a 96FS Stainless, looks like it had all of 10 rounds (if that) shot through it. Virtually no wear marks. I love it!

That is one good looking pistol. I received a few parts for my M9A1 for Xmas - a metal trigger, Wolff TCU (reduced power), a set of silver finish Aumagrips, and a new Inox barrel in 9mm (I wanted .40 but oh well). I can't wait to throw it all together and show some pics. Did anybody else get any Beretta love for the holidays?

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

So I did something silly and put an Inox barrel in an M9A1 because I can. It also has Alumagrips, and extended mag release, a skeletonized Hammer, a Wolff TCU, and a metal trigger. I think it looks good, and the metal trigger/TCU addition seems to have helped smooth out the SA pull a good bit without changing the pull weight. Love the grips but drat it if only they weren't so white compared to the stainless parts. Oh well - I guess it's my 'burden' now to go shoot it more and get them dirty.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Mad Dragon posted:

Maybe it's placebo effect, but it felt like the elite hammer smoothed out the DA pull on my 92. I installed the D spring any way.

Which Wolff spring did you use for the trigger?

I put in a 1911 spring as the first mod (Steak Flavored Gum had an extra laying around), and that reduced the DA pull a good amount. However, I didn't notice that the DA pull was any smoother. The 1911 spring is maybe 1/4 of an inch shorter but I dont know about the spring rate. Then I installed the Elite Hammer which seemed to have no effect on the trigger pull.

After that, I put in a reduced power TCU and metal trigger which made the SA pull smoother but not lighter. I bought a D spring for comparison and I thought the DA pull was lighter with the 1911 spring than the D spring. Note that I do not have a way of giving numbers on trigger weights. I could take pictures of the difference between the 1911 spring and the D spring if you're interested, though the factory spring is long gone.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Blight Runner posted:

TATPants, that's an awesome look for that Beretta. Are those grips the Brushed Gloss or Matte finish? I can't decide what finish looks best, but I'm liking your choice.

I got them from Brownell's and on the packing list they are labeled as "Bright". I wasn't aware that there was a Matte finish, but those would probably match the Inox color a bit better if that's what you're after

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

I have an M9A1, and I would like to shoot some .40 out of it. I've looked around and did not find anything definitive about what I need to do this. Do I need a 96 upper? Is it just a barrel and recoil spring swap? Am I better off waiting for a complete 96 to show up somewhere? Please educate me.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

You would need a 96 slide and 40 caliber barrel. Beretta uses the same recoil spring for both the Euro-pellet and the Short & Weak.

Thank you very much

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

GEEKABALL posted:

What a shame. I will shed a single tear for that poor dead Beretta next time I take mine out of the safe.

Oh yeah, three Berettas with no slide safety. One with no safety at all :stonk:

Another Beretta with no slide safety:

:clint:

DAO Berettas rule. I wish I had the cash to buy my dad's Cougar before he sold it.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Mad Dragon posted:

I just replaced my 92FS poly trigger and spring with the steel trigger and wolff reduced-power spring, and the trigger doesn't always fully return to its DA position when dry firing. When I dry fire and cock the slide with my finger holding the trigger down, the SA reset is fine. I have a factory Beretta "D" spring and the Elite skeleton hammer, if that matters. Any ideas? Should I get the regular or extra power wolff spring?

I have all the same mods except that I have a 1911 mainspring instead of a D spring, and my gun works great. I don't see any mechanical problems with yours. Maybe you should break it down, clean every part, and then put it back together. There is a small chance that you didn't put something in the correct place. I mean no offense in that because I have done some incredibly dumb things while tearing down my Beretta, e.g. launching the trigger bar spring across my living room multiple times and forgetting that the hammer spring guide exists and dropping it underneath my sofa before realizing my gun doesn't work.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Heck, I just want a 96 Brigadier upper. I've got the railed lower from my M9A1, but I would looove to shoot some some .40 out of this guy at some point.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

infrared35 posted:

If you don't mind stainless, there's always eBay.

:hfive: I have no preference for the finish and I will be watching this one. I hope this doesn't go for 1 Kilobuck

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Kommienzuspadt posted:

i'll apply to UPenn. We'll see.

PA local pro-tip. Almost everybody I know (I grew up in the suburbs of Philly) calls the University of Pennsylvania: "Penn". I don't know why this is or how far this goes geographically but hey, it's how I grew up. YMMV

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Operating Rod posted:

Are steel triggers worth installing over the plastic ones?

The main reason I see for people getting them is the Wolff conversion unit.

I have the metal trigger, reduced power Wolff TCU, and a 1911 mainspring and it hasn't failed to fire anything yet (handloads and WWB) nor has it refused to reset. I think the metal trigger made SA a good deal smoother, and mayyybe a little bit lighter. If you're worried about reset just get the regular power one - it probably makes little to no difference.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Flikken posted:

I just popped mine out and back in, in under a minute, so no.

I've lost 2 of these springs while dicking around with my gun. I would suggest buying a few of them or doing it all inside a plastic bag if you're a clutz with hamhands like me. Bonus video for information!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkEJMzdvla0

e: you only care about the last 10 seconds of the video for replacing the trigger bar spring

ee: slow to the game

TATPants fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 11, 2013

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Mad Dragon posted:

Here are my posts from when I first got the trigger kit.

FWIW I have a metal trigger in Inox that is cut like the one in your previous post and use a reduced power Wolff TCU. I like the trigger pull with the TCU and metal trigger. It feels a bit smoother in SA, but otherwise probably didn't do much. Maybe there are a few different steel triggers out there, some of which are cut and others which use the standard spring. This brings up an interesting point - which factory models have the cut metal trigger and what springs do they use?

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Basticle posted:

I think I posted an auction for one of these before but heres one again, just for IR35 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=365029430

Holy hot drat that is awesome

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

I have the checkered Alumagrips and they are much thinner than the standard ones. right arm linked you to a set of alumagrips manufactured for Beretta with their logo on them, which cost a bit more than the plain ones. If you want a less expensive set, look for them on Brownells

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/beretta-92-sig-p238-aluminum-grips-prod41678.aspx?avs|Make~~Model_1=Beretta__92

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Steeltalon posted:

Saw this posted today.

++P load? At least we have some proof that the locking block isn't the weak point anymore and why Beretta beefed up the slide for certain models.

edit to add: What is that symbol at the front end of the slide?

TATPants fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Final Blog Entry posted:

Gun store had a 8000D Mini Cougar today, 9mm DAO. Seemed like a neat little gun, although a little bulky for such a short grip gun. Anyone know anything about these or have any experience? Doubt I'll go back for it regardless with a wedding to pay for soon, but I'm curious.

My dad had an 8000D (not mini) Cougar. Heavier DA pull than my M9A1 (even when it had a stock mainspring), but smooth and even. It shot really nicely for a smallish gun. The rotating barrel is a neat mechanism, but it makes reassembly a little bit tougher than a 92. Fit and finish on it were superb.

It's definitely heavy for its size, but for range use, who cares? I would buy one if I saw it in a store, but I wouldn't go looking for it in particular. Knowing how small the normal cougar is, I would be hesitant about the mini version unless you want to carry it. If you want a carry gun, it's probably too heavy anyways.