Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert_Yeats
Jun 7, 2011

ZenMastaT posted:

That ad doesn't show up for me but it does bring me to a question I've had before: Namely, if Carcanos were made by Beretta why did they suck so much? Was it not a Beretta design or does it have something to do with Beretta's relative inexperience producing bolt action rifles? Are there any other bolt guns made by Beretta?

The rifles themselves aren't actually that bad. Some of the later ones can be a little crude, but you can say that about most military firearms during WWII. The biggest issue has always been the ammo. It was really inconsistently loaded, with inconsistent bullet weights, and generally lovely quality control. That, coupled with round nose bullets makes for a poor performing rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert_Yeats
Jun 7, 2011

Emulator posted:

So I'm shopping for my first handgun, after some playing around at the range with a variety of guns I've settled on getting a beretta 92. My dilemma - in the area, there are of course plenty of black 92FS's for sale, some 92A1's and one place has a bunch of 92FS Inox. I was thinking inox, but upon seeing and handling them, it seems they switched out all the stainless steel controls for black controls (which looks kinda horrible on an inox gun, IMO). Anyone know why beretta started doing this? Is it specific to the USA or Italian Inox? (I don't recall the country of origin on the Inox I looked at, I thought the guy said it was from italy but the only Inox models I've found online with black controls and rubber grips are the USA models)

Basically, should I search out an italian inox? Are they all just made this way now? If so, I may just stick with the standard black finish.

Newer 92 inox guns not only have black controls, but are the frames are coated in some kind of lovely silver paint that starts to flake and chip instead of properly clear anodized. If you want an inox, try to get an older one. As far as a new 92fs or 92a1, make sure that you can field strip the gun in the store before you buy. I've seen at least a couple lately that have peening and gouges on the frame from burrs on the locking block.