Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Maybe this world is another planet's hell...

That looks like an M9 to me. Straight dust jacket and a regular shaped back strap (continuous curve approaching beavertail - i.e. no "cut out" like the 92FS has)

Edit: How to tell the difference between an M9 and 92FS

1) M9 has a metal guide rod / 92FS is plastic
2) M9 has straight dust jacket / 92FS has a very slight curvature
3) Back strap is continuous for a M9 / 92FS has a more "curved" back strap for a higher grip
4) M9 has a two post style sight system / 92FS has a three dot system

Double Edit: I learned something new today. And I made myself look like a moron.

Chemystery fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Operating Rod posted:

The M9A1 is literally just a 92FS with a rail in the frame, right? All internal parts are interchangeable?

Basically. They also added some checkering to the front and back of the grip + did something to magazine bevel.

Magazines are PVD coated for increased reliability in sand blah blah blah its basically the same gun and all internals have not changed.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Don't forget the M951R - 10 rounds, a wooden handle and a fire-rate of 1000 rounds per / minute.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Operating Rod posted:

This is probably a pretty retarded question, but why would removable sights be a huge plus?

Instead of paying someone $160 to install Trijicon night sights, you would do it yourself. Honestly, I have really grown attached to the lines of a classic 92FS and have been toying with picking up an Inox Italian model before they discontinue it.

The new features don't really hurt the pistol. If anything, they bring it into the 21st century. Personally, the M9/92FS was never a combat handgun in my opinion.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Mishaco posted:

Just curious and not exactly disagreeing with you; but why doesn't the M9 make a particularly good combat pistol? It passed all the indurance trials; in fact it passed the original XM9 trials and the XM10 trials and even passed the retrials which lead to the M92F to M92FS upgrade. Yes it did have a critical fault but that was corrected early on and seems to have done the job. Furthermore, honestly, pistols are not major players on most battlefields today.

All of your above points are valid and well taken. I can not dispute the M9's reliability and will say that the 92FS represents a solid pistol all around. Whoever states that the platform is lacking in any way is failing to recognize the solid service record the M9 has built and continues to build. However, the open slide design should be done away with; it might help balance the pistol perhaps and maybe add to reliability (instead of leaving the locking block lugs exposed to environmental elements).

Furthermore, and this is not a fault of the 92FS at all, the 124 gr. FMJ NATO loading is perhaps the worst loading for a 9mm service pistol.

I love the 92FS. I own one myself. They are accurate firearms. They are also, because of the open slide...very aesthetically pleasing which gives it a few points in my highly unscientific reasoning. As a police pistol, it is an excellent choice. As a combat handgun, it has disadvantages related and unrelated to its mechanical design.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Less bickering and mo' berettas

She can manipulate my slide any day

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

That third magazine might be a Mec-Gar based off my casual glancing of the baseplate. Mec-Gar's are great magazines and unless its a promag or an eagle magazine, it should be just as reliable as the factory mags.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Mec-Gar mag spotted!

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Assuming you get a beretta model that is pre-FS (i.e. fixed slide) such as a 92SB or 92F, the added bonus of it not being the mainstay of 99.99999% of other beretta owners with 92FS will leave you with a unique and simply awesome pistol.

As far as the slide flying off and hitting you in the face...I doubt that will happen. Honestly, get whatever you find as a good deal. Want to be special? Hunt down a 92SB or pre FS variant.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes, the springs must be made of adamantium.

Do factory 15 round mags fit flush?

I know IR35 will probably tisk at this but here you go, dude.

I just snagged some 30 rounders, but the 20 rounders and 18 rounders are also tits.

If you live in a 10 rounder only state, ship it in as a rebuild kit

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Moth,

You should consider installing a D spring and a skeletonized hammer. It would look cooler and smoothen out the trigger a wee-bit. Also, it won't massacre your wallet (i.e. $30 bucks?)

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

I really don't recommend this, but I have known a few people who went as far as to shave off a coil or two from the standard factory D spring to get an even better trigger. Frankly, the D spring installation fixes that horridly long DA and I personally left mine as it is. Anyone with a 92 series needs to strongly consider a factory D spring in their 'retta. Install is easy and requires a screwdriver/allen key + 10 minutes.

The hammer doesn't do poo poo but adds to an aesthetical appeal.

HappyCapybaraFamily, welcome to the party.

Chemystery fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 27, 2011

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Final Blog Entry posted:

Anyone have any experience with Hogue's aluminum 92 grips? Just wondering about overall quality, comfort, and thickness vs factory plastic grips.

These specifically- http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0010K9DM0?pc_redir=1403739330&robot_redir=1

They are decent, but I personally like VZ grips better. The checkering is better and you get more choices for the same dollar.

https://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/beretta-92

Also, Aluminum grips will get slippery and result in decreased traction/friction/insert Netwonian Mechanical Term for decreased friction coefficient/

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

E2M2 posted:

Yep, got the grips in and installed. Seems to slim down the grip a hair? Though the gun fits my hand pretty okay already. Texture on the slants is pretty great.

Those look really nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Final Blog Entry posted:

So I finally got around to taking a few pics of the 92 Brigadier I got from Summit a couple of months back. From the picture on Summit I was expecting the heavy finish wear, but the reality was a bit more... extreme.

It's been pretty roughly handled, obviously, but it's mechanically in great shape after a good cleaning and oiling.

The big surprise was the bonus custom engraving!

"LA PULGA"

"VILLASENOR"

It shoots great, I already put Wolff's D-spring equivalent in it. It's also nice to finally have a 92 to share mags with my CX4.

You really should fondle it while listening to some Narco Corridos

It really is not Mariachi Music...the lyrics are loving disturbing

The VICE documentary about this poo poo