Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

What's a good price on a 92D Brigadier with 1 mag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pawn shop wanted ~$650 and change for it, going to see if I can talk them down. Can't remember if it has night sights, but it def. doesn't have tritium lamps.
Local gun store also has a mixmaster 96G Centurion upper on an old lower with the magazine release button at the bottom of the grip, but they want $750 for it which is a bit much for me.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 21, 2012

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

infrared35 posted:

I wholeheartedly concur with all of the above statements. To me it boils down to the PX4 having a nicer trigger out of the box, but there's obviously a much bigger aftermarket for the 92/96 if you're looking for cheaper mags, more holster choices, etc. Try to handle both to see if one fits or points better for you. And if you go then92/96 route, make sure you throw a D spring in it first thing.
Totally unrelated: delete some of your messages.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Paging IR35: please delete some of your PMs. I've been trying to message you for a while.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Joined the Beretta club:

96D Brigadier. According to the people at Beretta customer service, it's a surplus Immigration & Naturalization Service gun from 1996. It's been fired, but there's almost no wear on the finish or internals. I think it was someone's safe queen. I took it out to the range today, and it makes 40 S&W feel a lot less snappy, but the DAO trigger is going to take some getting used to; my groups were about twice the size of the ones I shoot with my CZ and Buckmark. That said, the trigger is still a thousand times better than that of every M9 I've shot.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

infrared35 posted:

Edit: Does the barrel have a "P" stamped on it anywhere?
There's a "P" stamped on the frame, but I think it's a fairly standard Beretta proof:

The caliber on the barrel is also prefixed with a "P":

...and there's a "4" on the underside of the slide that I'm guessing is an inspection mark:

What does a P-stamped barrel signify?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

towelieban posted:

I've had my eyes on a Beretta 96 for the longest time now. Just can't seem to find one for anywhere close to a decent price around my way.

J&G Sales and Aim Surplus are probably your best bet. Keep an eye on Gander Mountain's website, they seem to get surplus batches in from time to time. That's where I got mine.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Well, I have a white whale now. Beretta 92G-SD:

I had no idea these existed until 5 minutes ago, and now I really want one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Bobcats posted:

Hey, get in line for the G slides! Your quest is our quest.
Brigadier G-slide. Real talk, if anyone sees one of these, I'm saving money starting now.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Frame safety. Decocker-only. Bigadier slide. Dovetailed sights. DAO. Any of the above with a rail. If Beretta brought back any of these ideas for a limited run, it'd be a license to print money. I have no idea why they don't. Seriously, I've seen an Elite II go for $1,300 on Gunbroker this week, and they're already producing the skeleton hammers and steel triggers/D-springs everyone would immediately install. Make 10,000 9mm and 10,000 .40 S&W guns with any two of those features with d-spring, skeleton hammer and a rail, threaded barrel maybe? price them at less than $850 a piece and they would sell out the year they hit market.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 29, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Operating Rod posted:

Are steel triggers worth installing over the plastic ones?
No idea, but it comes as a kit with the D-spring from Beretta.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

infrared35 posted:

If I had one of those steel SAO Berettas I'd totally put an SGS comp on it. It would weigh a ton but it'd be like shooting a .22.

Or you could just:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Anyone have experience with Taurus' Beretta clones? Are any of the parts interchangeable with real Berettas, or are the similarities mostly cosmetic?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Gander Mountain just got a large batch of used Beretta 84s

Including whatever the gently caress this is:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Waiting to decide on one of those 84s was a mistake; they're all sold out as of this morning, even the horrible camo abortions.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Thanks for the heads up, but it turns out the "everything is sold out" was a glitch. Grabbed an 84BB. The bluing still looks pretty good, shiny bore, but there's some rust spots on the serrations and hammer that weren't apparent in the pictures. If I take 0000 steel wool to those, do I risk damaging the finish?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

New (used) Beretta day:

"Good condition" may have been a bit generous.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fuuuck

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Why doesn't Beretta make nice things anymore?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

It's uncommon and not made anymore so it's totally worth as much as a Kongsberg Colt QED

In a sane world, a G-SD should not be asking the same number of digits as a 96 with original compensator. Then again a stock CZ-85 Combat went for $1,575 last week so perhaps his optimism isn't totally batshit. Also,

SinistralRifleman posted:

About 10 years ago I was selling a Mossberg 500 at a gun show and it kept getting looks but no takers. Then I wrote "SOCOM" on the tag and the next gun show cretin that looked at it bought it

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 11, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Someone buy this goofy/baller-rear end thing and put a can on it:
Beretta 92 Target

I'd do it, but I'm not in America right now.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

92G-SD up on Gunbroker. I'd be all over this if I wasn't out of town.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Crosspost from the tacticlol thread, (which is now also the Beretta thread):

92 Combat on Gunbroker, opening bid is $3,500. I keep thinking about it... but then I think, "wouldn't you rather go on vacation in Europe for two weeks?"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Operating Rod posted:

How do you even do that? Put the slide back on and lock it with the slide release, then let the slide release go?
It's a pretty obvious case of negative transfer. With a lot of guns, the last step of reassembly is, "pull slide to rear and engage slide stop, confirm chamber clear, release slide, pull trigger." On the 92 family or P226, you have to reengage the takedown lever in the middle of all that. Someone who is used to different guns could easily forget the extra step. (I may have sent a Beretta slide airborne before.)

Butch Cassidy posted:

No. Europe is a vacation destination for older folk thanks to infrastructure unless you plan to hike the Alps or something. Buy the pistol and take a cheaper vacation in Asia/Africa/South America while you still have stout enough legs to bounce around a more rough area.
Don't have any family in Asia/Africa/South America, but point taken. Still, it's an easier call when it isn't your $3,500 :cheeky:
(I may be keeping my powder dry in case a G-SD or something else I really want comes up at a lower price.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Has anyone bought parts from Allegheny Gun Works? I'm thinking about pimping my Beretta.

Also, if anyone wants to scratch the 92G itch, Gulf States Distributors has a batch they've been putting up on GB, one or two per week.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Also, looks like Beretta92FS.com went offline. What's the current go-to for detail stripping videos?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The first hit is labeled "cluster gently caress", which is not exactly confidence-inspiring. Fortunately, the Enya-soundtracked official Beretta video is also online. Quick questions:

1) Is there a reason the replacement OEM recoil spring I bought is 1/2" longer than the one installed on the gun?
2) Grip screw bushings: some of them are pretty beat up. Are they staked in? Can they be easily replaced?
3) Can I take off the trigger bar & slide stop without removing the takedown lever, or is that an integral part of the process?

EDIT: Holy poo poo, the M9 Milspec max trigger weight is 16.5 lbs :stare:
This explains so much.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 27, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

thermobollocks posted:

The grip screw bushings should not be staked in and they are easy as hell to replace.

Weird. Mine appear to have some sort of four-point staking and didn't respond to finger pressure.

Wanted to be sure before I went in with a hammer.

EDIT: Also, I can't get the trigger bar to budge. Any suggestions?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 27, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TATPants posted:

Edit to add: What is that symbol at the front end of the slide?

Indicates that the slide has integral Trijicon tritium night sights.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Comedy option: he mixed a .40 round into his 9mm mag and somehow managed to chamber it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

How hard is it to remove and replace the extractor on a 92 series?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Oh. I thought it was staked in for some reason.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

A fiend is storing the 92G Elite I gave to him in my safe while he is out of country for a bit. Any interest in some pictures when I rip it apart to clean/lube/replace the recoil spring?

Only if you have the same music playing in the background.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I warn you that blowback-operated 9mm guns get filthy as hell.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Crosspost:

I have a Beretta 92G I'd like to get refinished (probably cerakoted). I think I've got a handle on stripping out all the small parts from the frame and slide. The fly in the ointment is that the slide one of the old LE slides with Trijicon tritium night sights, with the front sight milled into the slide. The glow is almost completely faded, so I'll be replacing them anyway. I can knock the rear out of its dovetail, but media blasting and coating is going to make the front useless, and I'm not even sure if media blasting small vials of radioactive material is safe. I know the vial in the front sight is removable somehow, since Trijicon offers to replace them. Is it just a very small punch?

Here's a few options I'm looking at:
- Send the slide to Trijicon, have them take the night sights out, have slide refinished, send it back to Trijicon for new night sights.
- Have someone who knows what they're doing mill off the front sight and add a dovetail for removable sights, refinish
- Get used to black Bruniton

Has anyone here tried something like this before?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

IuniusBrutus posted:

IIRC you can't mill a dovetail into the front of the slide; not enough material.
Weird; the Vertecs and I believe the M9A1 have front dovetails. Do they use a thicker slide?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mishaco posted:

I can only conclude all the guys totally trashing the 92FS/M9 have simply been drinking too much coolaid.
I've said this before, but a lot of it comes from people who have used issued weapons that aren't very well cared for. Also, there isn't much about the design that other competing designs don't do better, even if it's only in small ways.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 8, 2014

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I am all about this. Seriously considering buying a M9A1 and sending it in for work as my next purchase. The thing that has me most excited is that they've discovered the gun sorcery necessary to convert a FS slide to a G, something I've never seen offered before.

EDIT: Was it the original trigger springs or the Wolff TCU that were more prone to breakage?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 22, 2014

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Juice posted:

Does the slide on a brigadier model require a brigadier holster, or are the profiles between the two models the same such that holsters will fit either?

It requires a different holster. Also, the Brigadier slide is great for .40, but a bit excessive for 9mm. If you simply must have dovetails, the Vertec series (more vertical grip angle, minor cosmetic changes, same mags) or a M9A1 are probably best.

IuniusBrutus posted:

The 92A1 has a rail and dovetailed front sight, though IIRC some of the internal parts are different. The M9A1 is identical to the M9, though it has a rail (no dovetail on the front sight).

I think it goes like this:
M9 - Identical to military M9 and therefore identical to original 92FS, straight dustcover
M9A1 - Above with rail, flat trigger guard
92FS - New style 92 with slanted dustcover
92A1 - Odd mix of 92 and 90-TWO (Beretta spacegun upgrade to 92, dovetailed sights and reenforced frame for .40) internals, rail, rounded trigger guard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Scored an Expert on my M9 qual today. :feelsgood:

I still can't love the M9 trigger though.