Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I just shot my first 92FS today and ohgod :flashfap: It just pointed and shot amazingly well. Very amazingly well.

Aside from a D hammer spring and some grips, there's very little that can be done as far as I know. Any other pertinent upgrades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Trying to remove the rear for a target sight and that thing is on there. I know it's removal from right to left and even tried a few doses of Kroil to lubricate things, all to no avail. Is it generally accepted to need a sight pusher for a 92FS?

The Glocks just tapped on and off with relative ease, this thing is seemingly permanent.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone here tried Ceiner's Beretta .22 conversion? I know he's a massive dick, but for $200 I'm tempted (as long as he stays out of jail), plus I'd have something I could thread for a suppressor.

There's word that Beretta is going to do a run of their own kits in January. The stock page here switched over to "Limited Availability January 2012". I have my email in there as a hopeful. If you're not in a hurry it might be something to keep a lazy eye on.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Here's a stupid question: I'm practicing with my 92FS for some IPSC goodness. I've got this ingrained reaction to release the slide like a normal person: by grasping the top of the slide in my hand and pulling to the rear and letting go. However, I've got this really neat way of putting it on safe about a third of the time. Is there any trick to it besides "be careful," "use the slide release," or "lol slide mounted safety buy a Glock"?

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

GEEKABALL posted:

Does anyone have experience in moving the rear sight on a 92 FS? Googling returns two simple methods- whacking with a brass punch, or using a special sight adjuster tool. I am asking because our 92FS is shooting consistently to the left, and the rear sight appears to be too far left in it's dovetail. I have no problems using the punch if there is little chance I will damage the gun.

I had to have a gunsmith move mine. Apparently they're put on with some kind of magical 400 ton press at the factory. It made an impressively loud crack once it gave up against the vice. I'd give it a good try with a brass punch, but based on what I read and my experience it probably won't budge.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Beretta factory .22 conversions for the 92FS just came back in stock for a limited run. If you missed the cheap Ceiner or otherwise dislike his products, here you go. These things are annoying tough to find.

https://www.berettausa.com/products/92-series-22-lr-practice-kit/j9022pk/

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Carbohydrates posted:

Grips are always good! My secret santa this year got me checkered aluminum black anodized grips and I really like them.

Also definitely get him a reduced weight mainspring from Wolff. Every 92 needs one.

If you get him mags, Mec-Gar makes fantastic flush-fit 17rd mags with a low-friction finish. There are no better Beretta magazines, IMO.

This man speaks truth. The grips are a necessary thing for me. I tried stock, tried wood, but those Alumagrips are great. A D spring is 5 minutes to install and a nice touch. I'm digging the adjustable sights as well. It's not COMBAT SIGHTS but for my stressful occasional range trip and 3-gun they're excellent.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Colonial Air Force posted:

Where would one get said grips?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41678/sku=100-005-642/Product/Beretta-92-Checkered-Alumagrips-Black

Edit: dammit, beaten

Edit edit: $51 new from Brownell's. :colbert:

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

TATPants posted:

I am looking to get thinner grips for my M9A1 and the Aluminagrips caught my eye ( though they're quite costly at $65 at Brownells). Does anybody here have an opinion on them?

The Alumagrips loving rock. I love them and have done a few 3-gun shoots with them. They're thin enough to keep the Beretta grip from being unwieldy and very, very grippy without being painful. Go for it.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I have an unnatural lust for one of those. Very unnatural. Very lusty.

They just look awesome. Probably shoots 8 MOA, but you'll look solid while doing so.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Nuurd posted:

Cross posting from the .22 thread, in case anyone is interested in a Beretta 89

Failed to hit reserve at $1175. Wild. I think I'd rather just wait for new 87 Targets to come back in at Bud's.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Got a new Beretta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I just installed the new 92FS to G conversion kit. Surprisingly, the instructions were simple a QR code which led to an out of order and somewhat informal list of things to do- following the instructions led to a detent being launched across my basement generally towards the kitty litter. However it was nice that the new kit contained two complete detent and spring assemblies. Guess they had a lot of calls for 15 cent parts.

The trick is that the left hand safety lever's detent will escape once it's turned past horizontal, the instructions imply that the rhs one goes first. As soon as you depress the striker plunger and start rotating it up, grab a trash bag.

It's surprising how many roll pins Beretta thinks a safety needs. Once in it works well, and it feels a little stiffer than the FS safety.