Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

One of my holdouts is a Beretta Series 70. I think the 84 / 85 is a damned near-ideal platform for the .380 round, and the DA trigger on either model is simply fantastic.

I was at a gun show about a year and a half ago where I'd actually found a series-70 Beretta in .32 for about $300. I had the cash onhand, but because of our stupid state, the seller hadn't collected all of the necessary information from the guy who put the gun on consignment and couldn't sell it at the show, which meant that I'd have to make TWO 80-minute drives if I wanted the gun. Once to get out to the rear end-end of Riverside county (note: there is nothing good at all in this county) to do all of the paperwork, and once more to take possession 10 days later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

I'm starting to like Beretta 92s. With the right hammer spring, the DA pull is improved substantially, and the ergos of the gun work really well for me. There was a guy at the range a few nights ago trying to figure out if he was shooting left with his new gun, and I was able to pick up the thing totally cold and put about 7 rounds into a JFK half-dollar sized group at 7 yards. Typically, it's hard for me to do that with anything I'm not terrifically familiar with.

The Inoxes are sure pretty, too.

One day. Till then I'll let my 84 scratch my Beretta itch. I've said it before, but if we could get concealed carry in CA, I'd get an 85 without a moment's hesitation.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Thought you guys might like this.

The very first runs of the Beretta 92 were... different.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=259067502

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Ha! Why am I not surprised that the early-model 92 is part of your collection, LSP? Even with the finish wear, the gun is a head turner.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

The finish is worn off the entire backstrap of my 92. I wouldn't have it any other way.

edit: Just came back from a range trip with my younger brother. He inserts the first mag and then chambers a round.

Then this happened:

:negative:

Also, the gun failed to extract three times today. This also had the bonus of jamming the unextracted casing in the chamber, thanks to the next round slamming into it. Luckily, the range had a dowel and a mallet which we used to loosen the troublesome casing. After the second time this happened, I stripped my Beretta and used a staple to scrape the gunk out from behind the extractor claw. The gun ran fine until the third to last round of the day (out of 100), where it failed to extract again :(

I'm ordering a new extractor spring from Numrich. Hope that solves the problem.

Note: I was using TulAmmo. The steel casing of this ammo might have something to do with it, but I ran over 200 rounds of it before without trouble. In any case, should I just get Federal from now on and avoid any potential trouble TulAmmo could give me?

We may be comparing apples and oranges here, but my M1 Carbine continued to give me several extraction issues with TulAmmo, which had run fine up to about the 200 round count. My theory is that whatever case lubricant or coating that's placed on the steel eventually heats up and makes the chamber sticky. I had to get the first round that failed to extract out by giving the charging handle a good foot stomp. The very next round out of the magazine did the same thing. A foot stomp caused the extractor to tear a notch out of the steel case, so I had to dowel smack it.

I think if you scrub the everloving poo poo out of the gun and give your solvent of choice enough time to work its magic, your Beretta should go back to running brass-cased stuff just fine.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Anyone had any experience with a .22 series 70 Beretta? Barring that, anyone in here own a series 70 at all? I've loved the way they looked but have never had the opportunity to shoot one.

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Something pretty cool you don't see too often: A Beretta 96 Combat Competition model.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=328186548

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

Outside Dawg posted:

What is the general consensus on the Beretta Cheetah line? Are there models to be avoided or are there some that are better, and stand out from the others?

I've shot one of the very first ones and one of the later FS models. They're all quite nice. Hand-filling, generally soft recoil for .380, surprisingly usable and smooth DA mode, good 3-dot sights.

Note that he original designs were meant to be carried cocked-and-locked. Though it might be heresy to say, and because I do like the DA mode on the Series 80s so much, I'd actually prefer one of the FS models with the safety / decocker setup.