Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

That's also the rarer step slide version of the original 92. The first few thousand had that raised portion on the slide, which I think looks a lot better.

Mine was a lot cheaper than that, but it also has a lot more "honest wear." I believe some of these early ones were used by some European police forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

If it helps, the 418 kind of sucks. :shobon:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Is there any easy way to make a Beretta 92's SA trigger less creepy? I've seen that you can swap a spring to improve the DA pull, which I don't care too much about, but the SA has a lot of take-up and I hate that.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Well everyone has their own terminology when it comes to things like "creep" and "takeup". If you mean the weight of the trigger pull, swapping the mainspring to one from a Beretta 92D helps lighten that some. If you mean the amount of slack in the trigger before you begin to feel real resistance, I'm not aware of a way to remove that. If you mean actual movement in the trigger after that point before the hammer actually falls, you can smooth out that part of the pull by lightly modifying your hammer. What you're feeling is the sear dragging against the hammer as it attempts to disengage.

I bolded the part I'm thinking of. The slack, take-up, creep, whatever it's called. It bothers me that on my 92, even in SA mode there's a good ~1/2" of slack where the trigger does nothing, finally dropping the hammer when it's almost touching the frame. Not a huge deal, all said and done, but I thought maybe there was a simple-ish tweak to make it break sooner.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Butch Cassidy posted:

It is a two-stage trigger by design. Pick up something K31 and it will be even more pronounced. They were not designed for one pull the entire length. The shooter is supposed to take up the first stage (slack) while getting ready to shoot. The trigger pull proper when ready is then very crisp.

In a DA/SA, the first pull is DA anyway, and then riding the reset solves the "problem" from there.

Granted your spiffy old 92 may have a creepier second stage than new Berettas, I've never shot one. If that is the case, just ignore me.

I haven't shot a newer FS in a couple years, so I don't even know how it compares, really. I do just end up riding the reset like you mentioned, like I do with my Walther P99's similarly lonnnnng SA pull. It is fine at the end of the staging, but I thought maybe there was a way to reduce that excessive staging effect. Oh well, though. v :) v

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

OWLS! posted:

Hey Beretta thread. Talk to me about Taurus PT92s. (I have an unholy love of frame safeties.)

You should just try to find an original Beretta 92 from the 70s. They have the frame-mounted safety, and the PT92s are licensed copies of them. (I think they even moved the original machinery to Brazil to make them?)

They're surprisingly affordable when you find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Tornado Tech makes a quality product.