Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I really don't know why the M92FS doesn't get enough love online. I relaly like my M9...yeah i have a real military M9 but its virtually the same gun and i find it very fun to shoot and the slide feels like its on ballbarings or something. Even though the grip is large and I have small hands, i don't find it uncomfortable because of the curve. I don't think anything could get me to sell my M9 and i've had it for 6 years.

The Beretta M34/35 is a really nicely designed little pistol. Had an M35 in the store last year..kind of regret letting it go honestly.

Don't forget the M951 either. Neat little fullsized single stack SAO 9mm.

Century has had a few different models of M84 in for a while now if anyone was looking for one.

Finally, Benellis are amazing shotguns and the Beretta clones are just about as cool, but drat do i like real Benelli shotguns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Just curious and not exactly disagreeing with you; but why doesn't the M9 make a particularly good combat pistol? It passed all the indurance trials; in fact it passed the original XM9 trials and the XM10 trials and even passed the retrials which lead to the M92F to M92FS upgrade. Yes it did have a critical fault but that was corrected early on and seems to have done the job. Furthermore, honestly, pistols are not major players on most battlefields today.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I can understand about trying to make a pistol fit into a role it was never meant for. Because tehre is no real SMG any longer you go from an M4 carbine all the way down to an M9 pistol. I know what you are saying about the M9 getting a bit aged..after all its 30 years old. That said, in 1941, no one was thinking of replacing the M1911A1. In fact, most of those people who disdain the M9, would prefer to go back to the M1911 which is just crazy. I am sorry, but a stock milspec M1911 just isn't that great today and has several disadvantages. Americans always seem to keep wanting bigger bullets: 5.56mm vs 7.62mm and .45 cal vs 9mm. Hell, when it first came out, 7.62mm NATO was critized for not being as good as .30-06.

It would be interesting to know more about how other modern militaries feel about their service sidearms.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Beretta pictures cross-post....

(An early production Brevetto M1915 in 9mm Glisenti. It is in decent condition, but as rare as these are today, I was just happy to find one at all.)

(A 1935 built immediately after WWII, from wartime parts.)

(An Israeli contract 1951. Condition is so-so, but it is interesting for its history.)

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I brokedown and bought something I had been wanting to try out for awhile now: Beretta M9A1.

I've had a standard M9 since 2004, and you know what? gently caress the haters, its been my favorite modern metal framed pistol for nearly a decade, and one of my favorite modern pistols of all time.

So i felt like trying out the A1 variant why not?

So far i really like it.
I am doing a kind of old-new thing. I recently agreed to buy one of the '90s M9 'Special Editions' with all metal small parts.
The A1 will be my 'new' model with poly small parts. I like the beveled magwell already.

I might even put a laser on it, so my friends can assist me better in aiming it at the range.

My '04 M9 has never ever once malfunctioned, is a pleasure to fire, has a smooth/consistant trigger, a super smooth slide, and an easy to use safety.
I can only conclude all the guys totally trashing the 92FS/M9 have simply been drinking too much coolaid.

Ok, maybe its not the perfect pistol or the right choice for everyone, but its a drat fine sidearm objectively speaking. Its accurate, very reliable, durable, and as safe as they come. It feels good, with nice ergonomics, and yes even good looks.
I have small to medium sized hands for a guy, and the M9 still fits me fine. I do like the more aggressively checkered grip straps of the A1, and the small scalliped spot ontop of the backstrap does allow me a slightly higher/deeper grip.

So it feels like a keeper to me so far. I am sure it will be as reliable as my old one too.

Just thought I'd share.

Anyone want to see a family photo? My '98 M9, 04 M9, and '13 M9A1?
I will probably sell the '04 to a friend who wants it...eventually.
I can stand to have 2 92FS types, but 3 might be pushing it a bit?
I also have a military surplus 951 as some might recall.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Yes, but did they do it better in 1984?

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

The SIG P22x line is drat fine too. I have an early P220 in 9mm and a 1992 P228..

I definitely can see why both the P226 and the 92F were the 2 finalists in 1983. Honestly, the 2 designs are so drat close to each other, with just a few cosmetic and control differences.

Rarely do militaries adopted truely cutting edge stuff..for one specifications are layed out and tests and trials can last anywhere from 2 years to 10....so with that kind of time passing, naturally newer stuff will come along.

For 1982, when the XM9 trials were going strong, the P226 and 92F were rather advanced pistols. Both were fully mature designs and ready for military field use...obviously.

I can't even decide what is my favorite food, band, colour, or sexual position...so i am drat well not going to say i have a favorite pistol.

Just saying i like the feel of the M9 and i am so far liking this M9A1.
For that matter, i like my old and worn M951 and even my wartime M935. I have a Beretta 1915-1919 with cool as poo poo metal grips from the 1920s, and a 1915 in 9mm from WWI (that honestly needs some TLC but whatever).
What can I say? Beretta has always made nifty pistols.

I did buy a Crimson Trace CMR201 to put on this M9A1..the idea of using the red dot to help my range partners walk me onto the target worked with my Colt M4, so i want to try it on a pistol next.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

A local store had a set of Crimson Trace LG402M grips in like-new condition for...$120 out the door.

I was going to do a CMR201 on the M9A1's rail, but now I am going with the grips and a CMR202 on the rail.

My Colt LE6920 SOCOM is my tacticool AR, and the M9A1 will be my tactilol pistol.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Is it tactical enough to play?

Finding those LG402M grips Used for $100 really was just too neat to pass up.
I've made the cat run into the wall at least 3 times tonight already.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Having enjoyed my Beretta pistols for over a decade...I am finding myself drawing towards the ARX-100.

My question is this, does Beretta currently only offer one model/variant of this rifle?

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Well my Black Friday purchase for this year was an ARX100. Not sure when it will arrive, but it should be fun to take shooting whenever it does.

As to calibers, the .300 BO kit doesn't interest me but i might look into the 7.62x39mm one when (if?) it ever comes out...and takes AK mags.

By the way, MAC reported that a .308/7.62mm NATO kit was coming out for the ARX, but from what I've read, i think that was a mix up and he was actually talking about the 7.62x39mm one. That would make a poo poo load more since at least.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I am sure the ARX100/22 has about as much in common with a real ARX100, as any other .22 LR wannabe has with its own original version: 1911-22 vs Colt 1911, Colt M4-22 vs Colt LE6920, SIG522 vs SIG556, and all of the GSG MP5 and AK47 clones.

So that part does not worry me....the .22 ARX and the 556 ARX aren't even made in the same factory.

That said, I too have handled a few of the .22s and yeah meh nothing great there....then again they are $1k less than the centerfire version too so what should we really expect?

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Got in my Beretta Bm59 the other day. Still waiting on the ARX100 though.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Yesterday i received in my Beretta ARX100.

My overall impression is a positive one.

There are several things to like about it. For one it is the first truely ambidextrous rifle I've had. It is very easy to swap the charging handle, as well as change from right to left side ejection; both without any disassembly. It is lightweight and well balanced, and the stock is very tight. In fact, everything on this rifle is tight, with virtually no play, which is great for a very polymer rifle. The iron sights it comes with are a bit big and bulky, but seem well made. I like their quick detaching feature too.
The rails are made of metal, not polymer, and on mine at least; they are rock steady. Also, mine has a good trigger. It is heavy but with no gritt or creep, and a clean break. I like it better than the one that my SCAR had at any rate.
Finally, this thing has the simplest and fastest quick change barrel system of any rifle I've ever owned. If the X39 kit is released and isn't priced too bad, I will probably get it eventually.

But to be fair, the rifle has a few negatives too. For one the charging handle is very small and pretty sharp as it is made of metal. When on the left side, i kept knocking my knuckle against the brass deflector. When on the right, i don't seem to have this problem though. So I am keeping the handle on the right i suppose.
Also, the folding henge of the stock is very tight and good, but the adjustment part is looser and can move a bit. The buttplate is checkered polymer, and I would have really preferred one made of rubber. I do like where the adjustment control is at least.
The barrel is a thin/lightweight profile. This doesn't bother me as it keeps the front end light, but it might bug some who like rapid firing?
Finally, while I personally think it is cool beans that Beretta left the grenade launcher attachment rail on the rifle, as it keeps it that much more like the ARX160; I can see many who would have liked it if they'd put a standard Picc. rail down there instead.

Anyhow, overall i like it as I said. I am wanting to take it out shooting asap.

It came with 1 - 30 rd steel mag, a neat nylon sling with QD buckles on both ends, and a decent soft tactical case.

I can tell Beretta made an effort with the ARX100, and i respect that.

Also, it is a lot cheaper than the SCAR 16s, and even cheaper than the ACR, Tavor, and many piston AR15s on the market. So good on them for that too.

Of course, i can't make a final opinion until after I fire it some.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I could play in the Wilson game..I've had one of their CQB 1911s since 2002.
Also, they are located about an hour away from me.

My 1st AR15 was a WC...a M4 Tactical bought back in early 2003.

CDNN usually has good prices on Beretta mags.
Mec-Gar = Beretta OEM so no worries there.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

We put up 2 Beretta shooting review this weekend.

One on the BM59 and the other on the ARX100.

I have to say, that ARX is a loving great machine.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Well, a Beretta AR70 Sporter popped up on GB for what passes today for a very reasonable (even low?) price, and since the BuyNow was the same as the starting price, i skooped it up.

It will go nicely between my SA Beretta BM59 and Beretta ARX100.

Speaking of the ARX, seriously guys it is a loving awesome .223 rifle. I've had mine since last Christmas and its just been fan-loving-tastic.
It has no felt recoil, is accurate, very lightweight, and easy to disassemble for cleaning.

OK, will shut up now. Maybe some of you will try the ARX out one day though.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Sure, all the experts that have never fired the ARX seem to say it is meh.

As to price, its $1,400 NIB....not cheap but compare that to all of the other .223s that aren't AR15s: TAvor, CZ805 Bren, MR556A1, SCAR 16s, etc.

Like I said, just if you ever get the chance, shoot an ARX before jumping to a conclusion.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I agree, it would be really neat with a 10" barrel, and since the barrel is QC, you could drop one easily enough.

Or even just get another 16" and have it cut down.

All i know is the ARX seems to always come with us to the range whenever .223 is packed. Everyone whose shot it seems to enjoy it too.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Anyone who has not, please visit my Beretta rifle thread.

Today we fired both the AR70/223 and ARX100.

Both performed perfectly without issue. The AR70 really feels like a SG550 met the M16A1, and they had a love child together while the AR18 couched them from the sideline. Just an odd but cool design.

The ARX....well another 100 enjoyable rounds through it (had to cut short as it was practically dark).

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

For no reason really, i just felt like saying how much I love my M9 and M9A1 pistols.

Can you even make a Beretta jam?

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Really?

I never have had problems getting a 92FS in 9mm...are you talking about new or LEO trade-ins?

If surplus, .40s are common right now as agencies accross the USA are ditching the .40 caliber and going back to either 9mm or .45 ACP.

.40 is on its way out.
Kentucky just traded in some virtually unused Glock 27s and 35s...even Gen 4s so they hadn't had them for long at all.

I bought my M9A1 from CDNN and gave another to my dad from there.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Yep, it reads '92' and '90Two'

exactly the same.

Anyway, so A3s are a thing now? i recall hearing of them back when they were still in development.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

The M9A3 sounds neat, but for now I think I'll hang onto my orig M9 and M9A1.
We'll see how it all goes in future.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I'd love a surplus M11.

My late '90s M9 does fine as well...an M9. Plus its not beat to poo poo after decades of use.
Its cool beans for sure.

I like my P226 MK25 a lot too. I grabbed it on sale for under $800 NIB, and as I've said before it has the sweetest stock trigger of any P22x I've ever handled.

Neither surplus but still pretty darn nice that the military models have been made available at all, in any form.

The M11A1 doesn't count, but those M11bs were a different story.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I liked my M9 so much, i bought a second one....well ok an M9A1 but pretty much the same thing.

I've always thought the 92 series shoots very smoothly. The M951 also is very slick. Any old school Beretta owners in here?

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Not about Berettas, but i went to post some stuff about the CCP and PPS-M2 in the old Walther thread and noticed it is locked.

Any reason for that? If it isn't coming unlocked, anyone mind if i start a new Walther thread?

Its one of my favorite brands and for me its sad if TFR doesn't have an active thread covering it.
I know Walthers are kind of lesser-known, and that's all the more reason we need a thread covering them.

Berettas still rock too of course. In fact i was toying with the idea of pciking up a PX4 Storm in 9mm from CDNN because: good price and all. They are well made guns and i like the rotating barrel system. My old French MAB PA15 used that system and it was dead nuts reliable.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

You know me and history/C&R guns; but i will restrain myself and just talk about Walthers from the P99 onward.

I just wanted to discuss the CCP after having mine for over a year. Also, i recently was allocated a PPS-M2 and have some thoughts regarding it.

You know what would be awesome? If Walther did a subcaliber carbine in 9mm & .45 ACP that took PPQ mags.
Maybe like the Sub2k but only not touched by KELTEC. Hell, if Glock did a subcaliber carbine I'd by one of those for that matter too.

I have considered the CX4 Storm, and while it was cool 10 years ago; it is starting to look dated compared to newer/more modern designs like the Evo3 and MPX.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Here is the modern Walther thread just in case anyone wants to come hangout:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761273&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVe7d7xJdAo

For those in the know, ARX100 for the win.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I had a very modern and tactical Beretta pistol come in the shop this week.

It is the cutting edge Model 1915-1919 in 7.65mm.

Hey, at least it does have slim grips made of pressed steel. I know lots of folks like putting that style on modern pistols like say the SIG P226 or CZ-75B.
Not disagreeing either, metal grips are nifty.

I'd post pictures, but i no longer can do that since Rightload/IMGUR quit working together.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

No, not as polished and refined; but even a factory-stock Beretta is nice.
The ones I've owned all had very smooth slides, clean triggers, and just shot great.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Hey goons, need a bit of Beretta help.

I'd really like to find a Model 1915, either the original in 9x19mm Glisenti or the next version in 7.65mm (sometimes called the Model 1917).
I've looked on GB but no luck.

If anyone knows a website or dealer selling one, I'd be very greatful.

If you do, please e-mail me at: ozarkbeararms at gmail dot com .

I've been on a little WWI .32 kick lately. Its good fun and inexpensive really.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Handled one awhile back and really liked how it felt.

So have been on the lookout for a Model 81, and found it today.

I went with the 81 over the 84 as I don't stock .380. Instead I keep .32 and 9x18 Makarov around.

Should be a fun little companion for my M9 and M951.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Yep, the 81 is a great little shooter, and since i bought it for fun, i went with the more pleasant caliber.
Plus hey, I still wouldn't want to get hit with one....or 13 of them either.

Anyone own a Model 70? Had one offered to me the other day.
I mostly stick with military/police Berettas so am not in the know.

Oh and a friend has a paratrooper's BM59...i don't need it and can't really afford it, but drat i like that folding stock and QD flash hider. Wonder if he would trade for something? hehe.

My BM59 has become my favorite .308 battle rifle. Its like an M14 but somehow cooler and with less muzzle climb thanks to its tricomp and heavier weight.

Thinking on it, all the Berettas I own, be them rifle or pistol, i really like and wouldn't part with.
And to think a couple years ago I considered selling off my Italian collection...insanity i say, insanity.
I even like my old Carcano made by Beretta. 6.5mm is a fun little round too.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Mine smells like cedar wood and gun oil.
It is nice.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I had my ARX100 out last week to tell it i still love it....really is a fine rifle and now you can get them for $1,149.95 if you catch on sale.

Also, found a Model 70 on GB and couldn't say no to it. I love single stack .32s..just a lot of fun and SGAmmo has a good price on the ammo right now too.

The 70 fits nicely in between my 951 and 81.

The PX4 is nice too. I'd not mind a duety sized one just for plinking fun.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Had a Carcano made by Beretta come in the other day, does that count? lol

Anyhow, I think this is the only thread or place I've seen excitement over any pistol in .40 S&W in a long time.

I had some LE trade-in 96s a couple years ago, and I thought I'd never get them sold.
The .40 cal SIG P226s were also not much in demand.

I am not saying .40 is good/bad, only that customer demand for it is way down in recent years.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Got a new Beretta today.

It is a Model 1915 chambered for 9x19mm Glisenti.
It is also the very first Beretta handgun design ever put into mass production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Without snakeoil, 3/4ths of the gun aftermarket would collapse hehe.

My M9 has a steel rod, my M9A1 has a polymer.
Both work great.

I traced back the polymer guide rod to around 2002-2004 or so..sorry don't have my notes in front of me.
Apparently the military liked it, finding it was better in the dust and sand as polymer does not require oil, thus didn't attract poo poo as much.
Also it is lighter, won't bend, fluted, and yep cheaper.

who really knows? but it works fine.

It is worth noting that the polymer trigger in the Beretta is only poly coated. Under that is still a steel trigger.

All that said and just down to how it feels, i agree; i like the steel too.
Then again, i am old and grouchy like that hehe.

I kind of want a PX4, and did i read somewhere they just released a v2 of the CX4 that isn't crappy?

From the early 20th century through today, Berettas and Walthers are my two favorite handgun lines.
Nothing against CZ or HK or all the great 1911s, but....