Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's uncommon and not made anymore so it's totally worth as much as a Kongsberg Colt QED

In a sane world, a G-SD should not be asking the same number of digits as a 96 with original compensator. Then again a stock CZ-85 Combat went for $1,575 last week so perhaps his optimism isn't totally batshit. Also,

Yeah, I looked at that same pistol and immediately moved on...but somebody may pay that...people have payed crazy amounts of money before.

Edit: that having been said, at a sane price I'd be tempted (not at that price) as I'd like to have a 92G-SD or Beretta 92 Elite II at some point (I like the idea of the 92G and I like the idea of a brigadier slide on said gun just for fun).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Duckboat posted:

I've only been reticent about installing a D spring because this gun will be on home defense duty and reliability is paramount.

E: I know Yuns said light strikes weren't common, I just didn't want to take the chance.

I've got D springs in both my 92FS and my 96FS and neither have had problems with light strikes beyond one box of cheap ammo that had the same problem every 3 rounds or so with a Glock, the Beretta, a Sig, and another .40 pistol (can't remember what it was)...it was just a bad box of ammo apparently. Beyond that I've had no problems and it improves the DA pull dramatically...before I hated it and now I love using it.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

I did some target shooting with my 92FS last week and then cleaned it up and re-lubed it (dryphite graphite lube...it runs like a top with that poo poo). I meant to do the same with my 96FS...but I didn't get around to it.

Its one of my favorite pistols (though I have a few favorites...my vz.82, S&W 586, and my Colt 1991A1 all rank up there for different reasons)...and it probably fits my hand better than anything else (though the vz.82 is pretty damned close in that department). At some point I will probably get a 92G of some sort (ideally a 92G-SD or something else I could slap night sights into), but I don't see myself ever selling this one; it was the first pistol I bought that I kept and didn't sell when I was trying to find one I liked (and it was also the first one I really really liked).

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

beefnoodle posted:

May I join in?

First post to TFR, first handgun. Bought a PX4 in 9mm on the advice of my cop cousins. No pictures since everyone know what it looks like. Took it to the range today, had a good time, except for loading those loving tight magazines. Signed up for a CCW class starting next week.

Now yell at me for my horrible decisions, etc.

I can't yell at you. My first pistol was a loving Bersa Mini-Firestorm (a loving Mini-Firestorm)! In loving .40S&W...horrible first pistol choice on my part. You did much much better than I did. I mean look at that ugly fucker:

I traded it off years ago...I can't remember if I traded it for my 92FS (pictured several posts above) or for my RIA 1911...I think it was the RIA (I'm pretty sure it was actually)...but either way I was happy to trade it for something I actually enjoyed shooting.

I also shot my 92FS and my 96 last week and that was fun...I then cleaned them! I may shoot them some more tomorrow if the weather permits...I always forget how much fun shooting .40S&W is out of a large gun like the 96.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

:golfclap: Excellent use of the clone tool.

I couldn't help myself! It just begged to be done!

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Spartan 5150 posted:

Ah. That's unfortunate. No idea if they are ever coming back then?

They brought back the Briadiers and G models for the 92 (including the 92G SD), so maybe they'll bring back the Elite as well (though looking at their website just now I don't think they're making the 96 Brigadier or 96G currently, which in the Brigadiers case is strange given that the 96 (in 40S&W) is where the Brigadier slide makes the most sense).

I really want to get either a 92G Elite II or a 92G SD at some point in the very near future (especially now that Beretta is making the 92G SD again and you can find them more easily)...I love my 92FS, but I would really like having the G decocker and night sights on something with the same shape (the 92FS fits my hand better than just about anything else...its why I bought a 96F).

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Basticle posted:

I dont know if its been discussed here but the M9A3 is coming to the civilian market soon. Vertec Grip, replaceable tritium sights, threaded barrel, FDE finish. Street price seems to be $900-$950 :lol:

I mean I know if it was a SIG with the same features it'd be like $1200 but jesus christ.

Without the Vertec grip that would be tempting to me (though I'm not a fan of the finish, but that I could live with). The regular 92FS fits my hands perfectly (I have long spidery fingers).

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Anybody else ever had a D-Spring wear out? I think mine needs replaced, as the double action pull isn't reliably igniting primers on some ammo now (and it used to be 100% with everything). Single action is still flawless, but the double action pull seems to have light strikes on the first pull with some S&B and Magtech rounds I've been shooting (they generally go bang on the second double action pull, but the first pull always seems to fail).

I've put thousands of rounds through the thing and have done a good bit of dry firing with it as well, so I'm wondering if the spring just needs replaced. D-springs are cheap parts so I'll probably just order a replacement and see if that fixes it (and if not, I'll take it to the gunsmith).

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Well, to be fair, if I was gonna buy a Beretta, it would be a D or G model or bust.

But yeah I'd start stocking up on canned food and veterinary antibiotics.

Part of me (a large part) really wants a G model 92 (even though my 92FS and 96F are pretty much range guns and I can manipulate the saftey/decocker rapidly enough to keep double action firing it a decent pace...but I've got long fingers so all the control surfaces on the thing are well in reach for me to the point that a BHP feels slightly small for my spidery hands (that said I love my little Inglis even if its not a perfect fit for my mitts)). I like the idea of the decocker only system though since I never use the damned safety on the 92FS. If I ever stumbled across a 92G-SD locally I'd probably snap it right up.

I probably wouldn't mind a D model either...after putting a D spring in my 92FS and 96F, I find the double action pull to be very nice and easy to use. I'd rank them up there with the DA pulls on my 586 and vz.82 (though the vz.82 is probably the best DA pull I've felt...its buttery smooth on mine and just the right weight and length...I sort of wish it had a decocker).

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Hypoxia is probably a little closer to the truth.

Every time I see the word "hypoxia" I think of Front Line Assembly (I've listed to Hard Wired way way too many times). I heard the word long before that and new what it meant...but for some reason every time I read the word I imagine it as spoken by Bill Leeb.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Just FYI, those aren't actually made of wood, "Black cherry" is how they're marketing the color.

Isn't that a euphemism for anal virginity?

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

What's the general consensus on Beretta's M9-22LR pistol? I'm tempted to get one, but I wondered if anyone had any experience with it or if there had been any general consensus on its quality.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/m9-22lr/#Main

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Butch Cassidy posted:

Issues or not, a fresh recoil spring should go in. Why beat a frame any harder than you have to when the cost of a burger can slip right in?

I probably ought to put a new recoil spring and locking block in mine. I've never replaced the springs in it and I've put lots of rounds through it (probably in excess of 10,000...if I were to learn it was around 15,000 it wouldn't surprise me at all...hell 20,000 wouldn't entirely surprise me given how long I've had it and how often I've shot it).

I know when I was "torture testing" it (really just shooting it without cleaning or re-lubing and recording the rounds I was putting through it in detail) I put over 3000 rounds through it over the course of under 6 months (I can't find my final records from that for some reason...I have it on a thumb drive somewhere I think, but I can only find the incomplete in-progress record that goes up to 3050 rounds...I know I kept going to almost 4000 rounds before I decided to stop and clean/re-lube the thing because the "test" was getting boring and expensive (no malfunctions at all and having to keep track of what rounds I put through the thing every range trip, and putting a constant stream of rounds through it all of a sudden got really expensive in early 2009 when I stopped).

Edit: I'd add that the Beretta is one of the most fun back yard plinking guns I have...it, my 96F, the CZ-75 SAO, the little vz.82, my 1911s, my 586, and my recently purchased Hi Standard are all fun as hell to take out and shoot targets with on an afternoon (living out in the country has some benefits I will admit). That said the Beretta 92FS will probably always get shot the most because it and the 96 both fit my hand better than any other pistol I have so I always go back to those (I have long spidery fingers...my hands look like anorexic face huggers). They just feel nice in my mitts.

2nd Edit: That ridiculously over-sized mag release on the 92FS is also fun as hell...it looks hilarious but it makes mag swaps the easiest thing in the world.

Vorlonesque fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 11, 2016

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

If I were going to get a pistol caliber carbine it would likely be a CX4 with the adapter to use 92FS mags...because I've got a shitload of 92FS mags and having handled a CX4 a few times I wouldn't mind having one (only reason I didn't buy the couple I've handled is they were in .45 ACP and if I were going to get a CX4 I'd prefer it to take mags I have (which would mean it would be in 9mm or 40S&W as I have a shitload of mags for both my 92FS and my 96).

Deep down I want a pistol caliber carbine so at some point I will likely own a CX4.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Final Blog Entry posted:

Thanks, I'll probably pick up a couple to try out.

G conversion levers are now on the Beretta website and sold out in short order. Much cheaper than anticipated at $55. This is the much anticipated kit that allows you to convert a regular 92/96fs to G configuration without serious slide modification.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-g-lever-kit/

Holy poo poo, I didn't know this was a thing but I'll definately get one for my 92FS!

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

Isn't that a p238?

Its a p938...basically a 9mm p238 with slightly bigger dimensions. I impulse bought it and it is fun as hell to shoot. I'm not nearly as accurate with it as my 92FS or CZ-75...but I can hit the target decently enough with it. I probably just need to practice with it. The 92FS on the other hand feels like an extension of my hand...it just fits my hand so perfectly that hitting the target is easy as hell.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

DeesGrandpa posted:

I've owned the following CZs with a DA trigger: P01 (2 new, 1 posurp), P07 Urban Grey, Cz83, and one surplus CZ75B. The SA triggers on the CZs besides the P07 have been wonderful, but the only CZ DA trigger I tried that beat the 92 was the 83, oddly enough. I haven't shot the 92 yet but I just handling it I think it might eventually get traded towards a nicer CZ, they're great guns

The CZ-82 and vz.82 have amazing DA triggers...I'd rank it slightly above my 92FS that has a D-Spring in it (which also has an amazing DA pull).

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

I impulse bought a really expensive Beretta last weekend (I've been keeping an eye out for one to show up at the local gunshop ever since I noticed they were a Wilson Combat dealer and after a day at the range I just dropped by and immediately bought it after handling it).

I'm not fond of the green VZ grips or G10 grips or whatever they are...and I prefer the look of wood and the slightly thicker profile of the wood grips I have on my 92FS so I put some wood grips on this one and I like how it looks:

I took it to the gunsmith to get the factory grease cleaned out of it so I can use graphite in it...once I get it back I might do a box thread (I really need to do one for my High Standard Trophy Military pistol with a 5 1/2" barrel made in Hamden Connecticut in 1977...I don't believe I've done one for it yet and its a barely used model that came with the original box and instructions and shoots like a dream but that's not really related to this thread).

Edit: I realized this means that I now have 3 Beretta pistols (a 92FS, a 96FS, and now this Wilson Combat 92G Brigadier Tactical), and a lot of 9x19mm pistols (92FS, 92G Wilson Combat, Sig P938, CZ-75B SA, and a Canadian Inglis Hi Power).

Vorlonesque fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

I just ordered a holster for my 92G Brig Tactical along with some spare replacement springs (I've got like 2 or 3 spare locking blocks around here so I'm good on those).

The pistol is with the gunsmith right now (to get the factory grease cleaned out and get it ready for graphite) and I've not even shot it yet so I'm looking forward to that. I've got a regular 92FS to shoot in the meantime along with a 96FS.

I'm not sure how I feel about the rear sight without dots...but I'm going to give it a try (my 1991A1 and High Standard Trophy Military along with both my revolvers (Model 17 and 586) all lack dots of any sort and are fine). I sort of wish they made some TFO sights for the brigadier slide, but I have a feeling they'd probably look weird or end up hanging over the big open area around the barrel.