Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Boneless Jogger posted:

Vorgen has the item randomizer installed, doesn't he? Because that is probably part of the reason he's getting absurdly powerful weapons early.

He does. He's made several references to it... and stuff he didn't get when he normally should 'cause the Randomizer removed it (such as the Ring of Wizardry hidden outside the Friendly Arm Inn.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

At least the other BS mods throw enough challenges at you that the mega-items are kinda necessary. If the Iron Throne mooks use the same rules as the Bandits in the camp, Cloakwood Mine is going to be a slaughter.

I know for a fact SCS1 boosts the iron throne guards.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Serifina posted:

Yeah. I'm tempted to redo the install... again... because I've got this weird stutter literally once a second. I've just started. I have me, my familiar, Haiass, Xzar, Montoron, Jahiera, and Khalid, with normal stuff! I just GOT to the Friendly Arm Inn. I can only imagine this getting worse over time, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it's one of the Tactics mods doing it. If I do, I'm dropping back down to Standard.

And yeah, I did end up having to download everything twice. I've got a few that won't install no matter how many times I run it (which is fine, they're minor things I don't care about).

Go into Settings > Graphics > 2D & 3D Options and check off "Disable Vertex Padding" and see if that does anything.

Also, holy gently caress, I've been trying for 4 days to install BWP without much success. I think I've got it now, and I could post a guide if this latest install works.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I am certain there is something more than the item randomizer at work here. I use that mod myself, and it classifies everything into rough tiers of power. When an item is randomized, it is only within its own tier of power. It also doesnt place items in BG1 into BG2 and vice versa. Some other mod must be messing with item spawns on top of randomizer.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Perdido posted:

Go into Settings > Graphics > 2D & 3D Options and check off "Disable Vertex Padding" and see if that does anything.

Also, holy gently caress, I've been trying for 4 days to install BWP without much success. I think I've got it now, and I could post a guide if this latest install works.

I, uh, already started it running, so it's too late to try it now. If its still doing that after the new install finishes, I'll give that a try.

It took me the better part of a week to get it to work right, so don't be discouraged.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Oh balls, I misread your post. Thought you were talking about the game stuttering. :downs:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Koskinator posted:

I am certain there is something more than the item randomizer at work here. I use that mod myself, and it classifies everything into rough tiers of power. When an item is randomized, it is only within its own tier of power. It also doesnt place items in BG1 into BG2 and vice versa. Some other mod must be messing with item spawns on top of randomizer.

Sometimes things just go wrong when you try to install mods.

The entire time during my LP, Nahal's never actually drained uses so I had infinite, if risky, spells. :v:

e: I think I was just kinda rolling with it as the universe's way of apologizing to me for making me so dumb.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Perdido posted:

Oh balls, I misread your post. Thought you were talking about the game stuttering. :downs:

I was. I'm just too impatient to wait for advice or suggestions. :)

Melufa
Aug 14, 2011
BWP is definitely a pain to install, it took me 4 or 5 attempts as well, over several days. Biggest problem I had was the mod that includes Imoen's custom Charming Rogue kit just wasn't updated in the download and I had to manually use an older version. Best advice I would give though is that the Spellhold Studios forums are extremely helpful in getting it all set up.

There's some definite issues though, or at least consistency problems. I'm not sure if Vorgen installed the item randomizer manually or not, but it wasn't included in mine. I still found the Ring of Protection +1 and the Ring of Wizardy just where they should be. I was never able to find the Flame of the North in Beregost though, couldn't even find the right house with Mommy and Daddy. Also a rather interesting bug with Imoen, whenever I attempt to have her set a trap, it will always fail, and instead grant her shapeshift abilities. While I'm sure its not intended, having her shift into a Winter Wolf at level 1 really helps with some of the random crap you run into.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

This is what has worked so far for me, using GOG.com downloaded games,

- Install BG1 & BG2/ToB in a BWP folder. Ensure that the BG2 game is installed in a folder labelled "BG II - SoA."
- Start a game in BG1, BG2 and ToB and hit Q to quicksave, then quit
- Create a folder in your BG II - SoA directory labelled "CD5/movies"
- Copy "25Movies.bif" from your BG II - SoA/data/movies folder
- Create a blank .txt file named "BG2-ToBPatchReadMe" and place it in your BG II - SoA folder
- Open "baldur.ini" and make sure the section under [Alias] looks like this:

code:
HD0:=C:\Games\BWP\BG II - SoA\
CD1:=C:\Games\BWP\BG II - SoA\CD1\
CD2:=C:\Games\BWP\BG II - SoA\CD2\
CD3:=C:\Games\BWP\BG II - SoA\CD3\
CD4:=C:\Games\BWP\BG II - SoA\CD4\
CD5:=C:\Games\BWP\BG II - SoA\CD5\
CD6:=C:\Games\BWP\BG II - SoA\CD6\
Make sure the directory is correct and you've changed "SoA\data" to "SoA\CD#"

- Go here to download the BiG World Setup. The link to download should be in the OP, but check the end of the thread and see if there is a new release or one about to arrive.
- Install the BWP Setup in your BWP folder. Don't install it in your BG II - SoA folder or elsewhere on your computer. It needs to be on a parallel directory (I think I'm using that terminology correctly?)
- Run the Command Prompt as an Administrator and then go into your BWP directory and run "BiG World Setup" (with quotes, for those non-DOS savvy folks out there)
- Click the buttons as they appear and choose the setup you like. This'll take a while, as BWS checks for and downloads everything, ensuring that there are up to date versions of all the mods. duek, over in the BWP thread had a collection of .rar files for the mods, but they're inaccessible.
- Check back on the program now and then and see if it needs any prompts from you. You'll have to do several 'manual' installs of some mods (Tiax.exe being one off the top of my head) that'll give you an error message in DOS. They should normally close and you can ignore them.
- Fin.

I should note that I've had had some mods be rejected (nothing too significant that I've seen thus far) so this isn't a 100% perfect process, but the vast majority of the mods thus far are installing just fine.

Also, if you're getting an infinite loop checking for the BG1 Patch, you don't have the BG2-PatchNotesReadMe.txt in its proper place. If you have a patch.exe window hanging, doing nothing, you are either not running BWS as admin or your firewall is cocking things up for you.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 9, 2012

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Hey, I got this quote from the TV:

quote:

If we are capable of being gods, then it is our destiny to do so.

Do you agree/disagree with this statement? If so, why? Do you think Syvishtara should become a god if s/he is capable?

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

Vorgen posted:

Do you agree/disagree with this statement? If so, why? Do you think Syvishtara should become a god if s/he is capable?
Syv, sweetie...

What exactly did you think that being a mage IS?

You don't just learn to bend the fabric of the cosmos to your will and then not do anything with it.

Infinite becoming. Don't just become a god - surpass them.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Syvishtara should not become a god because she thinks it is her destiny, rather because she Wants too. Because as a god, you get ALL THE MAGIC, plus romance Mystra. ( someone make this a mod )

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Vorgen posted:

Sure, if that's what lies in Syvishtara's path. Syvishtara works throurgh the Weave. The Weave works through Syvishtara. The two are facets of the same.

I suspect gods are more force of nature than an anthropomorphized face of supernatural phenomena. Not only controlling their respective domains but being controlled by them to a certain extent.

Zeus was an adulterous lout (that could hurl thunderbolts) because that's what he is. Not a character flaw but his design. Hera's the ever aggrieved wife. Ares, ceaselessly enraged and bloodthirsty because he IS war. etc. etc.

Humans aren't destined to to become gods so much as they destined to always try to become gods.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Tzarnal posted:

Syvishtara should not become a god because she thinks it is her destiny, rather because she Wants too. Because as a god, you get ALL THE MAGIC, plus romance Mystra. ( someone make this a mod )

I think Mystra does show up in one of these here mods. I'm not sure when, and there isn't a romance, but she'll be around. Some day.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Vorgen posted:

Phenomenal cosmic power, infinite living space. The capability is there: To refuse it is to turn our back on everything we've ever worked for. An infinite fount of magic: Not subject to the whim of the Weave, the Weave is our whim.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Tzarnal posted:

plus romance Mystra. ( someone make this a mod )
It was bad enough when Elminster did it, and look where it got him.

Which means that should absolutely be a thing and that we should do it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This totally sounds like a thing. Heck, you could say that this whole "Wild Weave" thing is Mystra teasing our main character. :allears:

Miss Hime
Jun 14, 2008
For people who keep getting the BG1 UI in BWP you need to uncheck the Larl's BG1 UI for BGT in graphics options at the bottom. You then need to go into BGT GUI options and select from the list. For me personally 'original soa/tob' did not work on two installs so I just ended up going with one of the Elminister ones, it actually uses the normal BG2 UI in game but has a picture of Elminister on the main menu. Its pretty inoffensive if you can't get the original UI to work.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

24 Uktar, 1369

Gameplay note: Faldorn is a force to be reckoned with. First of all, she has enough xp to be level 7.

This gives her the ability to cast level 4 spells.

She knows Animal Summoning I, Call Woodland Beings, Cure Critical Wounds, Neutralize Poison, and Protection from Electricity.

Animal Summoning I is good for fodder and if you don't like gnolls or hobgoblins. The types of animals called are random, but they are generally bears and wolves and other natural animals.

I remember the first time I played Baldur's Gate II, I would use Call Woodland Beings, get a nymph, and immediately send her into melee. Then I would wonder why she died so fast. It wasn't until weeks or months later that I realized her strength is her spellcasting abilities and not her bare fists. What she is, is a backup cleric. Always good to deploy midway through fights.

This is the next-level heal which cures, as of now, a maximum of 39 hit points. Suitable for healing up anybody in the party in one cast, because they're probably not going to be at 1 hit point when it's cast.

Neutralize Poison is not only an antivenom, but it is a poison resistance buff that lasts for about 1 minute per level, so a good 7 long minutes now. That's enough to clear a map at least. It is also enough to outlast any Cloudkill spells that are cast upon the party.

The final spell, Protection from Electricity, has a messed up description. A minor bug in the BWP. But it basically lasts 1 turn per level and gives 100% invulnerability to all lightning bolts and lightning-based breath weapons. Good when going up against a druid or a blue dragon.

Going back down the spell levels, for level 3 Faldorn has Remove Curse, Call Lightning, Cure Blindness or Deafness, Cure Disease, Cure Serious Wounds, Dispel Magic, Zone of Sweet Air, Hold Person or Animal, Moonblade, Protection from Fire, and Summon Insects. Nothing we haven't seen before, although only Gavin had some of these, and it's been a long time since we hung out with him.

Faldorn's level 2 spells are Barkskin, Charm Animal, Find Traps, Flame Blade, Goodberries, Resist Fire and Cold, and Slow Poison. Again, spells we have all seen before.

Down at level 1 Faldorn has Armor of Faith, Bless, Cure Light Wounds, Curse, Detect Evil, Doom, Entangle, Faerie Fire, Shillelagh, Strength of Stone, and Sunscorch. A solid selection.

Now that there are two healers in the party, Faldorn and Viconia can both split up the healing duties and memorize some extra utility or combat spells. I tell Faldorn to memorize an Entangle, a Strength of Stone, and Sunscorch for level 1. For Viconia, she memorizes a couple Magical Stones, a Doom, a Cause Light Wounds, and a Command. Give them some versatility at level 1. At level 2 I tell Faldorn to memorize 6 Barkskins. We will be using that extensively. Viconia changes things around to have more Hold Persons and a Silence instead of just Aids and Poisons. At level 3 I let Viconia memorize one Glyph of Warding and Faldorn memorizes one Call Lightning and one Summon Insects, in addition to the Cure Serious Wounds that they both have. And for level 4, which only Faldorn can access, I let her memorize Animal Summoning I and Call Woodland Beings, in case we run into more trouble than we can handle.

Finally, Faldorn's going to go all-out as a melee combatant.

She is dual-wielding the Club +2 that has a 20% chance to confuse its target for 3 rounds, and in her off-hand she has the Poison Ivy +2, which gives out 1 point of poison damage every second for 8 seconds when it hits a target. Targets could be wandering around confused and poisoned, just letting themselves die, if Faldorn gets ahold of them. Don't worry, I had her train Clubs, Maces, and Two Weapon Style. She's good to go.

And if you think that's not enough, she can also shapeshift into a wolf, a brown bear, and a black bear at will. That's Faldorn. Let's get busy.

Faldorn shows us the way to go, and we are soon on our way to Cloakwood Crossings. It is only a 16 hour trip.

When we arrive, we see a strange sight in the distance. A wyvern big enough to carry a cow around flies through the sky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnx-fes9DA8

We hang out for a bit, see the sights, set up camp, and take some down-time. Coran considers this to be good enough for the hunt that he mentioned earlier.

Then he asks us a very important question.

Hmmmm, very difficult to answer. Both Shar-Teel and Branwen are blondes, while Xan has brown hair. Coran himself also has brown hair, and he's kinda cute. But in the end, I have to tell the truth.

The red-heads certainly capture my attention more than any other type.

I approve of your taste. Why love if not to play with fire?

EXACTLY!

To tell you the truth, I can never decide what makes my heart beat faster. So, I've invented an ingenious system.

I am all ears.

You see, my friend, I've decided to dedicate a year's season to each of the tempting guilds. I love brunettes the most in summer, the redheads in autumn, and blondes in the winter.

What about spring? Do you take a holiday from wenching?

Why, never! Spring I leave to whimsical flights of fancy.

Ah, the blue-haired elven maidens and bald Thayvian sorceresses?

Exactly. Ah, did that Red Wizardess I met in Waterdeep a few years back teach me a thing or two!

Coran is just so happy about life! He's like a breath of fresh air.

We try to go to sleep and wait out the night, but we are awakened by a giant spider!

Imoen saves us all from it.

My heroine! We sleep and wake, and I send her out to scout. It isn't long, though, until she finds an unfortunate enemy - a hamadryad. What's a hamadryad?

Apparently a skilled spellcaster.

The hamadryad casts Dire Charm and Dimension Door, popping around the woods like an evil fey creature.

Thankfully some of the equipment Faldorn is wearing gives her high resistance to such tactics.

I cast some missiles at it. It is partially immune.

Faldorn tries to cast Sunscorch at it.

In retrospect, not a smart idea to cast sun-based spells at plant-based enemies.

Imoen is the one to really luck out here. She interrupts the hamadryad's routine!

Seemingly in retaliation, the hamadryad teleports near Imoen.

Imoen simply takes the next logical step of casting Burning Hands on the fey creature.

It doesn't work out well. The hamadryad must have minor spell immunity or minor spell turning up. I know how to take care of that!

Oh-I-guess-the-Weave-knows-better-than-I.

The hamabitch starts getting annoying. She casts Entangle then teleports away!

Imoen, Coran, and I are entangled in these roots and are unable to get to the hamadryad!

Thankfully Haiass still can. I am pretty pissed, though, and try to use a wild magic spell that I have never used before, Mynoc's Irresistible Appeal. I'll make her come over here!

Oh.

I think this means that the Weave has nature on its mind, and cannot bring itself to harm a hamadryad. I honestly can't say that I blame it. I don't even know why I'm fighting it.

Then Viconia casts Magic Stone, and 10 Magical Stones appear in her inventory. Hmm.

She begins to throw them at the hamadryad. And it is one of those stones that kills her.

But the hamadryad had teleported and wandered so far that she had attracted a spider to fight against us. Faldorn and Bub, the only two people not still entangled, close to engage the spider.

Faldorn takes a hard hit from the arachnid.

But she gives back what she got in greater measure.

A quick heal from Vic brings Faldorn back to full. Then I ask Faldorn if Nature can protect us as we explore the area. She rushes around casting a spell on all of us, and when she is done we are all brown with green hair!

I touch my skin. I feel like a tree! It's so cool! Unfortunately the magic wears off rather quickly, and by the time we find another person in this forest to talk to, we are normal again.

What's with you rangers and baby Wyverns? Some kind of perversion involved I would think.

Perversion? No foolish traveler, we train these fine animals to protect Nature from Her enemies. Yes... yes indeed the enemies of Nature must be destroyed. Far too many bandits, orcs, and other beings of evil have violated Nature. Now how about that toll fee? What did I say it was... ahh yes 200 gold.

That is too much for us. We barely have enough gold to buy provisions.

Well since I rarely get visitors out here and you have been good listeners, I'll let you pass this time.

Thanks Keiran I will not forget this!

Nature thanks you. You may have use of this bridge. May the Great Mother watch over you.

Finally a reasonable tree-hugger! I was getting really uneasy killing the spirits of the forest and out-of-control druids. I'm really glad I was able to talk Kieran out of charging us or fighting us. Especially because his bridge is the only way to get anywhere in this area!

I notice that Kieran is still around, not having wandered off. So I decide to talk to him again. He seems to want to trade!

He's got magical arrows, bolts, and bullets. He's got potions of all kinds. He has protection scolls, the green kind that you can't memorize. He has a ton of low-level spell scrolls from levels 1 to 4, and also every type of wand, from a Wand of Fear to a Wand of the Heavens. He has another Gift of the Woods, the one that sets AC to 0, in case we decided that having 2 was not enough. He also has a Ranger's Long Bow +2, which adds +1 to DEX but is usable only by rangers. Unfortunately everything is outside of our price range.

We say goodbye to the nice ranger, and try to move across the bridge. We are greeted by a Black Talon Elite. gently caress!

I throw out my hands in a half-assed gesture of magical might and pray for the Weave to fill in the rest. It does. In polymorphing ability.

If that's what it's going to be, that's what it's going to be. I melt myself and begin to inch forward.

Imoen kills the first one.

With this new perspective from the ground, inching along and feeling everything beneath me in excruciating detail, I realize what I've been doing wrong with magic this whole time!

Gameplay note: Notice the pip in Long Swords! Also all my saving throws got better this level.

I am even better still in my new form of a mustard jelly. I take down the next elite!

But the last one, the last one is taken out by Faldorn's fury.

Coran seems to have been thinking about something else.

You, in women's shoes? I'd like to see that!

Ahem... actually I did wear them once: shoes, and a dress, and -

Ha ha! I might have known!

It happened entirely by accident. Helg and I -

Go on.

You might have heard about the carnivals, when the whole cities go mad with vigor, mask themselves, and, more importantly, dress up sumptuously. While for the commons any bright rag and paper mache will do, the nobles order frocks with yards of expensive cloth set with jewels, lace, and exotic feathers.

So Helg decided to relieve one exquisite costumer of its delicious goods on the eve of the masquerade. We silenced a couple of poor souls who were putting the last stitches on the frocks, and Helg left the guard drunker than a dwarf on a festive day, and went to collecting the bounty...

Only the city guard took undue notice, as he seemed to favor one of the seamstresses. So, Helg told him that he was a helper hired to do the last minute alterations on dress for a capricious debutante... and the way he said it, I knew that the guard was coming in to check on us. So, I jumped in a dress, put a mask on, and got onto a dais of sorts the dressmakers use to do their thing. Helg comes in with the guards, grabs the pins, and announces: "So you wanted me to pad that bosom some more, my dear?" And he went on about it quite diligently.

Hmm, I never thought that I was destined to experience an episode of breast envy...

Uh... thanks for that story Coran. I really enjoyed listening to it as a jelly on the ground. I shapeshift back to my natural form and we decide to all patrol together. As we walk along, I look in Rhialto's Spellbook some more. Maybe there's something I missed...

Study the spellbook for a while, and see if you can learn something new.

You spend some time, browsing through the book...

You found something of interest.

Try to learn the spell "Vile Word of Discord".

You succeed in learning the spell.

Gameplay note: What's the difference between this spell and Confusion? Well this one hits both allies and enemies, and has the additional possibility that a victim will ally with the caster and/or drop random equipment. Also I think that -4 penalty to save against spells makes it harder to resist than confusion. Finally, it is a level 3 spell and Confusion is a level 4 spell. Woot!

I know what I'm putting in my new level 3 spell slot!

I look over the book again to see if I can find any more magic.

Study the spellbook for a while, and see if you can learn something new.

You spend some time, browsing through the book...

Try to learn the spell "Cellular Regeneration".

You try to learn the spell, but it's too difficult. You need more experience in the art before you can learn it.

Still not daunted, I try one last time. But I can't learn Glyph of Wild Magic either. Damnit. Maybe next time.

Then it's back to patrolling. And killing baby wyverns.

I try to get smart with the spells, and I get whacked hard for my trouble.

I tell everyone to back up, and I reach through Nahal's for some guidance of the Weave. I shout out triumphantly, and...

The world's slowest fireball lazily leaves my hand and meanders slowly towards mine enemies. I watch in stunned silence as it eventually explodes.

It manages to hit one slow wyvern. Imoen augments the damage with her own style.

Coran throws out one of his Huntsman's webs, hoping to get some of the flying wyverns caught in it I suppose.

But the only one caught in it is Bub Snikt. Viconia knows that the wyverns will turn on him, so she rushes in to give him a pre-emptive heal. It doesn't turn out to be so pre-emptive.

I know it's not going to be enough, so I rush in to heal as well.

This is looking bad. And it just gets worse.

Bub dies to the combined savagery of many baby wyverns, and Coran's stupid move. A pity.

The wyverns turn on me next! I pop some mirror images to try to save myself.

As I am running away, Viconia manages to let loose a Glyph of Warding. The magics course over the tight cluster of wyverns, and they turn on her. She is severely bitten.

Faldorn steps up in the shape of a bear to take over tanking duties as Viconia runs away.

Previously Faldorn had summoned a Nymph to aid us, and now the nymph begins casting a spell, although I do not know what it is.

Pure, beautiful energy courses through everyone and we are all almost healed completely! Faldorn the black bear is still hurt, but everyone else is rejuvenated!

Actually, Faldorn is in very bad shape.

She manages to run away as a bear while Coran gives us our first victory of the fight.

Haiass brings us our second kill, and Coran's epiphany.

Then Faldorn changes back to her natural form, and Viconia heals her.

This leaves her open to cast an offensive spell.

But back on the front, Haiass is our only feasible tank left, and he is almost dead.

I fervently hope that the baby wyvern he is fighting, that almost looks dead as well, falls before he does. But alas, it does not.

Immediately after Haiass falls, the nymph I was fighting next to falls as well. Will everyone die this day?! I run to the west to try to regroup, cast a spell, take stock, do something, then lightning bolt out of nowhere!

Faldorn calls the full fury of nature down upon these wyverns. Sweet!

And Viconia manages to get the killing blow on the last one.

And we are done. At only the loss of life of Bub, Haiass, and one beautiful Nymph. A sad day. I shall miss Bub's silent competence.

Gameplay note: That was a dumb mistake that killed Bub. Too bad. Looks like Minsc is up next. We'll get him next update.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 10, 2012

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Bub, no! He died too young! Too... young.

Oh well, Minsc time.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Alas, poor Bub. His time was short.

I'm constantly surprised no one's been gibbed yet, honestly. I know this is still BG1, but there's been enough that it's been a possibility. Oh, well.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

One of the tactics mods, I think sword coast stratagems, seriously reduces the chance of getting turned into a fine red mist.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tzarnal posted:

One of the tactics mods, I think sword coast stratagems, seriously reduces the chance of getting turned into a fine red mist.

Also in the BG2 engine there is the difficulty setting that makes gibbing impossible. Dunno what setting Vorgen has this on though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Aww, Bub was so reliable and non-creepy. RIP (at the jovial juggler) Bub.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Boring dude died, awesome.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Shugojin posted:

Also in the BG2 engine there is the difficulty setting that makes gibbing impossible. Dunno what setting Vorgen has this on though.

I believe at any difficulty below Core Rules you won't get gibbed, so that would be normal and easy.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

caleramaen posted:

I believe at any difficulty below Core Rules you won't get gibbed, so that would be normal and easy.

I've got it set on Core Rules. I'm also surprised that nobody has been gibbed yet. Hopefully soon, though!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I actually remember it happening kinda frequently around level 1-2 because everyone just has so few hit points it's easy to get critted down to -10 or less. Only reason I can see it having not happened yet is if a mod changed the gib threshold.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Nice update! I'm not too sad Bub died - if anyone was going to go it's probably good that it was him. Minsc up next, so I look forward to Flame of the North foolishness.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Bub was kind of cool in that no-frills, take-care-of-business way. Someone ought to expand the character a bit.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Linnear posted:

Bub was kind of cool in that no-frills, take-care-of-business way. Someone ought to expand the character a bit.

Dude, he's Wolverine.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

caleramaen posted:

Dude, he's Wolverine.
Nah, it's more like he'd like to be Wolverine when he grows up.

Because man he certainly isn't there right now.

Really the main problem is he doesn't have the stats to back up the concept. He'd need a really high Con to do the Wolverine thing, and he'd need a downright monsterous Str to make the whole "I dual wield daggers!" schtick anything other than awful. He might have the costume on, but he's a long way from filling it out.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm more amazed he's not a monk with some flavor, like slashing fists.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

As far as mods go, this one was pretty lazy. Some modder probably just said, "hey wolverine joke, better not let it go to waste," and turned him into a playable NPC. Of course I'm not sure why they gave him that portrait. So maybe the modder didn't get the joke.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

caleramaen posted:

As far as mods go, this one was pretty lazy. Some modder probably just said, "hey wolverine joke, better not let it go to waste," and turned him into a playable NPC. Of course I'm not sure why they gave him that portrait. So maybe the modder didn't get the joke.

I think it's just because the original model was red-headed, so they stuck with that.

then again,

From the mod's website posted:

Bub was born in Daggerford, a village situated on the Trade way between Baldurs Gate and Waterdeep. The seventh son of a farmer Bub grew up on the farm and became his fathers favourite son.

In his youth his father taught him the ways of rural life and his brothers helped him with hunting skills. It wasn't long before they noticed he had a keen eye and his skill with the bow became as good as any bowman of the Castle guard. Each year life on the farm carried on as usual.

Occasionally he would find himself with his brothers and the local militia defending Daggerfords farmsteads against marauding Lizard Folk from the Lizard Marsh but most of the time life on the farm went unchanged.

It was a few days after one particular Highharvesttide that things started to change. Bub had made his regular visit to Daggerford to sell produce at the local market when the call to arms was made.

A group of Ogres had sneaked through the Misty Forest from the High Moor and were attacking the local farmsteads, killing farmers and stealing whatever food they could carry. Concerned for his families safety Bub left the wagon and rode straight out of Farmers gate with three miles ahead of him at the Gallop.

By the time he'd reached the farm his brothers were already heavy into fighting several large Ogres the sheer size of which sent fear shearing through his body.

It was at that time that he remembered the talisman that his father had given to him as a child. The symbol of Tempus which hung around his neck. Bub can't remember what happened that day but when he joined his brothers in battle it was as if he'd been blessed with the speed and strength of ten men.

No Ogre stood in his way. His arrows were true to the mark and each swing of his blade offered no resistance.

Within the space of an hour all Ogres were dead and his brothers could only look upon him with awe. Soon after the encounter Bub's attitude changed. He became less interested in rural life and decided to take up a profession as a hired adventurer. He travelled first to Baldurs Gate then onto the town of Beregost where he plies his trade as a swordsman protecting the local farmsteads from Ogres and any other unwanted guests.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
That is quite possibly one of the stupidest "mundane" (i.e. not Chloe-esque) intro stories I've ever heard. I mean, does he even get this Talisman of his in game? I haven't played it in a while, so I don't actually remember, but is a little internal consistency too much to ask for?

Wait, it's Baldur's Gate modding. Of course it is.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

No, he's got no talisman when you recruit him. It must have been a one-time-use item. But he got enough xp from using it that he managed to get a few levels under his belt ... before losing them to energy drain and joining up with us to work off that energy drain the hard way? Heh, who knows.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Perdido posted:

*Bub's backstory*

Or, to put it in his own words -

Bub Snikt posted:

Farmer.

Took ta killin'. Pretty good at it.

We done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I honestly prefer it when the mod characters are boring like Bub was. Leaves less chance to gently caress it up with background or dialogue.

• Locked thread