Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shei-kun posted:

:sassargh: @%&$ right you don't do subtle! After I have this $@&!*#$ drink, you better not be using any of that @%&$!$& subtlety and just jump his boney $#@&!

I'm just going to copy/paste something from the Darian mod in BG2. Via player-initiated dialogue, you can talk to him about your prior romantic experience or lack thereof. Or... this...

IF ~~ T1DarRelSlut
SAY ~What are you implying?~
++ ~I've had many lovers, Darian, but I never felt close to any of them. They weren't even true relationships.~DO ~SetGlobal("T1DarCharSlut","GLOBAL",1)~ + T1DarRelSlutLov
++ ~I've become quite proficient in the bedchamber over the years, Darian. It's really quite enjoyable.~DO ~SetGlobal("T1DarCharSlut","GLOBAL",1)~ + T1DarRelSlutProf
++ ~I've always been able to use my looks and my body to get what I want.~DO ~SetGlobal("T1DarCharSlut","GLOBAL",1)~ + T1DarRelSlutCharm
END

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
With how much lower-quality stuff you've got you really should sell off the multiples of, like the Chainmail +1s. No reason to keep more than 1 or 2 around for oh-god-everyone-died-need-to-survive-for-a-while emergencies and pocket the cash. Or use it to buy gems that can be stored in a gem bag as more portable no-magicked-away gold.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Slaan posted:

With how much lower-quality stuff you've got you really should sell off the multiples of, like the Chainmail +1s. No reason to keep more than 1 or 2 around for oh-god-everyone-died-need-to-survive-for-a-while emergencies and pocket the cash. Or use it to buy gems that can be stored in a gem bag as more portable no-magicked-away gold.

He's saving it for the endgame, for one thing. For another, converting stuff to too much cash risks another repeat of the gold-killing surge (and he does NOT need that happening after he's sold off all the 'spare' magical gear). Buying and selling gems isn't efficient, as most merchants don't really carry gems... and you buy them for twice what they sell for. Imoen's Charisma helps with that, but it's still not a "buy a ruby for 100 and then sell it for that same 100 later).

The most important point is the endgame of Baldur's Gate 1, though, when the apparent plan is to have EVERY party member involved in the fight. Which will be insane.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Looking forward to seeing how murder party V2.0 works out.

I didn't realise Xan had so few hitpoint un buffed by EQ. What level is he? Actually, is it possible to post what level all the characters in the party are? I know we haven't used Kagain much either so he's probably quite low.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Shei-kun posted:

Option Three was the best option :colbert:

In retrospect that does seem like the better option, heh.

Pickled Tink posted:

This should probably be Syvishtara's portrait.

And wow. That is an awful lot of loot you have there. Does the mule accept container items without harming the contents? Just wondering how you'll be able to cart around the tons of loot you'll find later.

Thanks, I changed the portrait. The mule is a store, so it accepts container items. I'm not totally sure what would happen to the contents though.

Cythereal posted:

T1DarRelSlutLov
T1DarRelSlutProf
T1DarRelSlutCharm

So the choice is to be a loveless slut, a proficient slut, or a charming slut, eh? Hmmm... hard choice.

Slaan posted:

With how much lower-quality stuff you've got you really should sell off the multiples of, like the Chainmail +1s.

Serifina has it right - I'm saving for the endgame. No sense in sending everyone in to die without equipment. I'm going to be saving every piece of magical eq that I can in order to hopefully have enough to equip everyone I know when the time comes for them to all fight.

PotatoManJack posted:

Looking forward to seeing how murder party V2.0 works out.

I didn't realise Xan had so few hitpoint un buffed by EQ. What level is he? Actually, is it possible to post what level all the characters in the party are? I know we haven't used Kagain much either so he's probably quite low.

Sure, here they are:

* Level 7 Faldorn
* Level 3 Kagain
* Level 4 Xan
* Level 6 Syvishtara
* Level 5 Viconia
* Level 4 Skeezer

I've also edited that into the entry.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Serifina posted:

He's saving it for the endgame, for one thing. For another, converting stuff to too much cash risks another repeat of the gold-killing surge (and he does NOT need that happening after he's sold off all the 'spare' magical gear).
To be fair, he has only gotten the gold killing wild surge three times that I recall. As he levels up, it should happen less. The other two were actually in the fairly early updates. Almost all the gold he has lost over the time between then and the latest was raise dead related (With the rest being spent on goodies).

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Vorgen posted:

Serifina has it right - I'm saving for the endgame. No sense in sending everyone in to die without equipment. I'm going to be saving every piece of magical eq that I can in order to hopefully have enough to equip everyone I know when the time comes for them to all fight.

I'm wondering how much of a surplus we'll wind up with at the endgame.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Pickled Tink posted:

To be fair, he has only gotten the gold killing wild surge three times that I recall. As he levels up, it should happen less. The other two were actually in the fairly early updates. Almost all the gold he has lost over the time between then and the latest was raise dead related (With the rest being spent on goodies).

Syv's still lost a lot of gold that way... and there's no sense taking unnecessary risks. As the previous update showed, it's still a possibility...

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Xan's purple prose is killing me here. He's so elfy! :swoon:

Now that we have a lore mistress, I suggest that we change Skeezer's name to Skeezerette and get her a new portrait. Specifically, an old lady mage portrait and not Sexy Wizardess #385.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

re: equine mistreatment - Aren't there safe containers? Given that you're hitting the mule's load limit, it would make sense to drop stuff like the +1 armours at the Copper Coronet Jovial Juggler. Without going crazy (-er) with the micromanagement, just those two piles should free up quite a bit of weight for the upcoming mines.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 18, 2012

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NihilCredo posted:

re: equine mistreatment - Aren't there safe containers? Given that you're hitting the mule's load limit, it would make sense to drop stuff like the +1 armours at the Copper Coronet. Without going crazy (-er) with the micromanagement, just those two piles should free up quite a bit of weight for the upcoming mines.

I don't think he needs to lug that crap all the way down to Amn.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Serifina posted:

Syv's still lost a lot of gold that way... and there's no sense taking unnecessary risks. As the previous update showed, it's still a possibility...
The third surge took more than both the others combined. It is a drop in the bucket compared to what will be coming.

Also, Syvishtara is a wild mage. Unnecessary risks is what they do.

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006
Vorgen, did you remember to adjust Kagain's stats?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

ShiningForceHero posted:

Vorgen, did you remember to adjust Kagain's stats?

yes, I put his con up to 20.

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006

Vorgen posted:

yes, I put his con up to 20.

Cool. I doubt the regen will make that much of a difference, but who knows.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Viola the Mad posted:

Now that we have a lore mistress, I suggest that we change Skeezer's name to Skeezerette and get her a new portrait. Specifically, an old lady mage portrait and not Sexy Wizardess #385.

I think that Skeezette rolls off the tongue better, but I like this idea.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How many of you play this multiplayer?

Edit: Its been a while since I've played BG1/2. Is the multiplayer in the game decent?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Viola the Mad posted:

But even though we've changed Skeezer's gender, the character on the screen still has a mustache and beard. I... I don't think a female Skeezer actually looks any different from a male Skeezer.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ShiningForceHero posted:

Cool. I doubt the regen will make that much of a difference, but who knows.

It's pretty slow so it won't really help in combat or anything, but it does guarantee that if he was injured at the end of a map, he'll be at full health for the next one. Or if you rest 8 hours, he's none of the people you'll need to use healing spells on.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Edit: Its been a while since I've played BG1/2. Is the multiplayer in the game decent?

It's... pretty awkward.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kneel Before Zog posted:

You can probably count on your hand the number of people that still play multiplayer in this game. And it's probably less then that.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Well, if people we kick out of the party continue to hold all the stuff we give them, why not put all the extra stuff like the multiple copies of chainmail +1 in Minsc's hands while we're out adventuring?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Kneel Before Zog posted:

The only thing multiplayer is good for at this point is creating your own party.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

It was fun back in the day.

It wasn't good and it hasn't aged well, but our standards for acceptable multiplayer were much more forgiving at the time. It's the sort of thing you'd play with your friends (because yay, group D&D vidyagame), but not with some random assholes from the internet.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I never played BG2 multiplayer, but I did play Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale II multiplayer, back when I was in grad school and I was rooming with 2 other people. The netcode or whatever it is that syncs things between computers was horrible, and we were rubberbanding all over the screen even though we were on a LAN and one room apart.

Oh wait, there was also one time I was setting up a multiplayer game of BG2 in order to roll my own party and some dude randomly connected because I guess there was a rudimentary game-finding service. I told him I was just doing single player but he begged and pleaded for me to let him play just one slot because he had a really sweet fighter/thief that he wanted to show off. I kicked him.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I once ran a tour of the Planar Sphere via BG2 multiplayer and got awarded something for it, although memory eludes me here.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Vorgen posted:

But even though we've changed Skeezer's gender, the character on the screen still has a mustache and beard. I... I don't think a female Skeezer actually looks any different from a male Skeezer.
You know how Skeezer came with a bunch of unique magical items when you recruited him? What you didn't know is that he also came with one "Skeezer's Beard of Sagacity" (usable only by Wizards and Skeezer Lumpkin VI). It's +1 to wisdom. He only equips it when there's an emergency beard shortage, though.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

JT Jag posted:

You know how Skeezer came with a bunch of unique magical items when you recruited him? What you didn't know is that he also came with one "Skeezer's Beard of Sagacity" (usable only by Wizards and Skeezer Lumpkin VI). It's +1 to wisdom. He only equips it when there's an emergency beard shortage, though.

EBS's seem to be more and more common these days. It's probably due to the Iron Throne poisoning the beard supply back in the Nashkel Mines.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

18 Nightal, 1369

After selling all of the equipment that we don't need, and the remaining wyvern heads, we have 3988 gold! Hopefully it won't disappear any time soon.

Since we're in Beregost, we stop by Firebead Elvenhair's house to see how the old guy is doing. We tell him of our adventures and let him take some of our baubles.

He limits himself to three pieces of our loot. He still seems to have the same disposition for us after, but he must change his mind soon. I can feel it!

Then, anxious to be on our way, we head off back to the mines.

Along the way we encounter bandits...

wyverns...

and hostile dwarves.

But we arrive relatively intact. We spend the night in Shaundakul's Sanctuary, and in the morning we are ready to re-assault the Cloakwood Mines.

But of course, Xan. Show me.

*Without further ado, he leads you away across the camp, coming to halt in front of an expansive oak tree, tiered with an unbroken roof of dark-green foliage. Xan does not stop to regard it, but bends down, peering intently underneath, and you see it, too: among the high mosses and scattered fascicles of grass, several tender, pale purple blossoms, fragile as forms of tinted ice, are raising their heads to the bright, quiet morning sun.*

*Xan touches your hand and starts speaking quietly, never taking his gaze from the blossoms.* They have just risen from the dead. The faintest flame, subtle fragrance, and vulnerable fragility... it is rare to find such glory in these lands. I dared not pick it up and kill it, but if I could hold this raw beauty, at least for a moment, I would. *sigh* However, it is not more possible than possessing starlight, or the wisps of the wind. We are but guests and pale shadows here, and when we are gone, the eternity is not even likely to notice.

But while we have this moment, this brief little space in infinity, I will not waste it. Perhaps I will die today, this hour, this moment. Or perhaps, just perhaps, I will live. But regardless of death and life and danger, I love you. You are more of a miracle than these flowers, if just as fugitive. I love you, Syvishtara.

*sigh* But I have kept you long enough. Let us return and face the day... and pray that it will not turn out to be our last.

Did I sense a note of optimism in Xan's voice? I hope so, for we will need it. It is time to take over the other half of the Cloakwood Mine fort.

We reach the fort's bridge and I ask Skeezer to check the place out. He does. I hope he can handle it.

He sees a couple of elite archers standing guard, and a door that we could check out.

We rush in, all fire and fury, and they never even know what hits them.

A few more Black Talon Elites show up north of our position, so I give them a little fireball action.

Awww yeeah!

But they are not stupid. They retaliate.

I will not be denied, however. I retreat, get healed by Viconia, and return for round 2!

After that, their ranks thin out considerably.

Xan is so dreamy in his bright pink armor and blazing blue sword.

Faldorn takes out a little rage herself.

And even I get a kill with Meta Infernum!

And Skeezer comes from behind with the sneaky Acid Arrow to get the final kill.

I think that there might be fighting in the door to the north. It looks like a barracks. I tell the melee fighters - Faldorn, Kagain, and Xan - to get in there and kill things. They nod and disappear through the door.

Genthore ran away here during the previous fight! I thought there was supposed to be another fighter around somewhere. Kagain pops an Oil of Speed and Faldorn begins to summon animals.

But Genthore and one of the guards slip past them and just run outside... to us!

He pops a potion as all our magic flies at him.

Skeezer's Chromatic Orb seems to do nothing, but I hit him with 7 magic missiles. They look like they hurt.

I hear the growl of animals come from the barracks. Faldorn must be busy.

Viconia finishes her spell, and a Glyph of Warding explodes all over Genthore and the Black Talon General next to him.

Faldorn, Kagain, and Xan run out the door of the barracks to help us out. I suppose they thought the wolves they left in there were enough to take care of business. I open my mouth to give them some direction when GAHH! You would not believe how much an Ice Arrow to the face hurts at point-blank range.

Reflexively, I reach out my hand and rip some of the life out of the Black Talon General. Then I run.

While I'm running, Viconia's Hold Person hits Genthore, and he is frozen. The General focuses on Skeezer and hits him a deep blow with his bow. Then Kagain knocks him down and he slides across the ground a few feet. GO DWARVES!

Faldorn takes him out, practically saving my life.

Then without mercy or reprieve, we beat down Genthore while he is still held, just like we took out his buddy Drasus. I feel no regrets.

Viconia watches us all take advantage of our handiwork with a satisfied smile on her face. Then the smile breaks into realization. She must be becoming closer to Shar!

Gameplay note: 55,000 xp to level 7? Man, this game is killing me.

As soon as the battle is over...

*He gently takes your hand, his fingers intertwining with yours, and you walk arm in arm.*

We walk over to see what the Black Talon Elite General was wearing. It is a Splint Mail +1 and another Varscona +2. Those Sharran priests were really industrious with their Varscona blades. I wonder if Viconia knows anything about that.

Then Skeezer checks out Genthore's corpse. He's got 15 throwing axes, which Kagain snaps up. He's also got Fallorain's Plate.

Pretty nice, I guess, if you're into armor that is magical in name only. He has one more thing that looks really fun, though. He's got a Boomerang Dagger!

It'll be great for someone who can use daggers. Lots of people use them. Heck, Xzar uses them even! We go back into the barracks to see what the dire wolves have done in our absence. It turns out they haven't done anything, but we help them finish up.

Gameplay note: I guess summoned creatures don't exist if you're not there to look at them.

Skeezer gets to work on the chests in the area, although he has to pop a potion to do it.

In one of the chests is another Spear +3: Dragon Scepter. We put it with the other one.

We are about to leave when Skeezer lets us know that there is a second floor.

We all decide to check it out together. No need to be incautious.

I have had enough killing for today, so I simply nod and let him go. He'll probably get torn apart by druids anyhow. Skeezer starts to cackle when he sees all the chests.

There are only normal weapons in them, but each one has some gold. There is about 300 gold altogether. Not bad for a few minutes' work.

Back outside, before we cross the second bridge, there is what looks to be a storehouse. We decide to check it out too.

We end up scaring the beweeevus out of one Sellanio.

All right now... just kidding... Since I have been told to move here, I can meet only those man-at-arms of Daevorn, so you make a little change anyway... For sure you are brought here 'cause he shakes with fear of some group... I'm sure - whoever they are - they are smart enough to keep far away from the woods like this. You know, druids, spiders, savages, the only thing we miss here are the bearded women and flying rabbits. If you have something to exchange, then let's do it, for I never finish putting these things in order...

He shows me what he has for sale. It is an extremely limited inventory. I'm surprised it's not already in order. He sells Potions of Agility, Antidotes, Genius, Infravision, and Mind Focusing. He also sells scrolls of Grease, Friends, Identify, Protection from Evil, Clairvoyance, and Break Enchantment. Um... actually, I don't have Clairvoyance, and neither does Skeezer. Skeezer is also lacking Grease, Protection from Evil, and Break Enchantment. I'm almost ready to buy all of those spells, when I think again. I really want to save up for some boots from Nashkel. I hold on to my money. Kagain notices and pipes up.

Oh? What knack is that?

Why, of minding other folks' business and making it pay. Ain't a finer trade in the land than that.

I don't intend to keep an accounting ledger on this. Any goods will be used to further our efforts or sold for gear, which we will surely need before long.

'Tis the right way of making good in the world, doubling up your investments time and again. I just hopes we can cash out in good style by the end.

Hey, that sounds like a good idea to me! We go back outside and brave the bridge. Of course there is a Black Talon Elite guarding the bridge. I decide to use a reckless dweomer to cast a spell I don't often cast...

Stupid archers and their stupid ranged attacks. I'll show them ranged attacks!

Oh. Oops? We end up having to pelt him to death with bullets and darts and throwing axes.

Another guard and another elite. We go full-bore on them.

That is, Faldorn does. She is ripping new assholes left and right. Must be the way of the forest.

Wow, this second area is freaking small compared to the motte to the southwest.

We have taken this place! We have completely destroyed all defenses! The mines are now open to us.

We climb up the ladder and make our way into the Cloakwood Mines. We should have known there would be an ambush waiting for us.

Three generic guards and some guy who looks like he knows what he's doing. Faldorn immediately tries to blind him.

I try to pull some Minute Meteors out of the weave, but instead I get colors.

Viconia gives us all the Chant, and the battle truly is on!

Tytus doesn't attack our fighters, but goes after Skeezer!

I yell at Skeezer to get out of here! He runs out the door and down the ladder. At the same time, Faldorn uses the special ability from her Ring of Fire Shielding. She becomes completely immune to the guards' weapons.

Tytus goes after Viconia next, and even though she switches to her Morningstar he smashes through her defenses.

I send her outside too, and then think about joining them, because this guard just won't stop hitting me!

I do run outside, actually, and pass out healing potions. We all drink them. Inside the shack, Faldorn pauses in her fight to give Kagain a heal after he gets hit by Tytus.

The melee guys decide to change tactics, all focusing on one guard. He goes down in a moment.

They do the same with the next guard too.

Tytus, perhaps seeing how the fight is going, slips out the door and tries to run away. He runs straight into us spellcasters. We all begin casting at the same moment.

Skeezer lets loose with his lone remaining spell - Knock. I also try to pull out some desperate Random Missiles but it just makes my legs feel so heavy.

Gameplay note: This is the only time I've ever used Knock in a combat situation. But look at that, 12 damage! That's pretty sweet!

Inside the raised shack, Kagain takes out the last guard.

The melee team rushes out of the shack and surrounds Tytus. The fight drags on and on. Viconia has time to both Curse Tytus and Bless us.

Kagain gets seriously injured, and with no more healing left he retreats and uses throwing axes. Viconia manages to cast Spiritual Hammer and begins to throw them at Tytus. He leaves melee and looks to be running away.

Faldorn and Xan follow Tytus into the shack again. Once inside, Xan and Tytus trade blows while Faldorn tries to Hold him again.

This time the Hold sticks! We have won!

Nobody cares that it isn't glamorous.

Skeezer loots him and lets us know that he was wearing the Black Swan Armor.

It is an impressive piece of work, but the only person strong enough to use it is Kagain, and his Full Plate Mail +2 is the better suit. I feel proud. That's the suit I got off of the genie!

If you wish to die, I am pleased to assist.

Do not think I will endure your insults indefinitely.

I look around, assessing my companions. We are all tired, and sore, and out of magic. Also, we are deep in hostile territory. I call it, and teleport us to Shaundakul's Sanctuary.

You know, this sanctuary is turning out to be the most useful thing I have ever seen. Gorion was an extremely generous man. I wish I could thank him for this place.

We ran out of healing magic too early during the fights. I mention that to Faldorn and Viconia, and they adjust their spell scrolls to include a few more healing spells. We rest, wake, teleport back, and then head down the stairs into the mine proper.

Well, ok, I mean we go down the stairs into an elevator, and THEN to the mine proper. After casting some protection spells.

When we get down there, I send Skeezer out to scout around.

The other companions sit around and bicker.

Your shallow regard for nature sickens me.

Shaddup and show me the money!

But it turns out that Skeezer isn't really that good at sneaking.

Not too bad at beating people to death with a staff, though.

Ahh, screw this clandestine crap. We're just going to barge in and kill everybody.

Then a ton of guards immediately show up. poo poo!

The rest of the guards start dropping like flies to Xan's moonblade. But then one of them, uh...

Why, in the Nine Hells, are you asking us such a question?

Hey wait a second, I recognize the bunch of you now. You're the guys who've been causing all the trouble lately. Surrender right now!

Xan kills him, and his friend too. I guess he'll never have maypole problems again.

Then Xan goes on and kills another two guards. That's my lover, the bane of low-level flunkies everywhere!

These mines are laid out much different from the Nashkel Mines. We are in some sort of central hub area.

I decide to explore each branch clockwise, and see what turns up. We head northeast first, and come upon an old, disgruntled miner.

We'll set you free, now tell us what you know.

Well, see, here's how it is. The way to bamboozle these ninnies is real easy. Right here beside me is a steel plug that stoppers up the river on the surface. If you were to release that, then the whole mine would be drowned. Only the master of the mines has the key to open the plug and he's a real mean cuss. If you were to bring the key to me, I could use it to flood the mine.

How do you know how to operate this key?

There's a dwarf on the second level of the mines. His name's Yeslick, and he's the last surviving dwarf of the clan that used to live here. Under threat of death, he designed the plug for the master of the mines. I talked with him last time I was in the cells for bad behavior.

Okay, we'll try to find this key.

Good! If you haven't already been down to the lower levels, try to find a man named Rill. He's a good friend of mine, and should be able to come up with a plan on how to get all of the slaves to safety. I'll see you later then, and try not to get killed.

I look at the big metal thing behind him.

Wow, his story checks out. That must mean that these miners must all be slaves! I check with the nearest one to make sure.

We explore more passageways and loops in this mine, and realize that there aren't that many guards around. It is some minutes until we find another one.

Xan kills him too.

I'm so impressed I put him in charge for the time being. He is the cleaner of mines!

Whatever.

Gameplay note: Whoever is the party leader, the first slot at the top of the right side of the screen, is the one who responds when you give a group order. Xan as leader is hilariously depressing.

We find a passageway down, but we don't want to go there yet. There is still mine left unexplored.

In the unexplored area, we find a guard that actually talks to us before attacking. Shocking!

We give up.

Just wait here until the other guards arrive.

Xan!!!

That's probably how he got captured in the first place!

It isn't like he doesn't have the most powerful one-handed sword I've ever seen.

Although his sword doesn't really talk to him like mine does.

Still, he can always hold his own in a fight.

After the fight, Xan says "Oh" again. He seems to stand in a slightly tougher stance.

Gameplay note: All saving throws also reduced by 2.

Another 16,000 to get to level 6, and then we still have to get to level 7 and 8 before he can cast spells. But he'll turn into a fighter/mage then!

I like it down here, where the gold grows.

This place shall be our tomb.

Checking the map, it looks like we have fully explored the area.

I urge Xan to move on to the second level of the mines. He reluctantly agrees, but only after politely asking Faldorn and Viconia to cast Bless, Chant, and Armor of Faith on themselves and us. He is being quite cautious.

I shrug and cast Mirror Image on myself too. If we're going to be cautious we're going to be cautious. We take the stairs, but when we show up on the second level we only see one little guard.

But then one guard turns into four guards, one of them shooting poisoned arrows at Xan!

Xan drinks an antidote and Kagain chunks a guard, but another one is already walking up the hall to take his place.

Viconia senses a potential problem and throws a Glyph of Warding into the crowd. By the time she is done casting it there are six guards!

Skeezer tries to help out by casting Sleep, but it doesn't affect any of the guards.

Viconia and Xan work together to take out one of the guards that was angling for myself and Skeezer, and I breathe a sigh of relief.

It looks like the guards are signaling for help somehow. I have to end this before they bring the whole place down on our heads in this room. I carefully take aim, bring up my hands, and unleash the burning beast within.

Perfection!

A half second later and Kagain chunks the one remaining guard. But he shouts that more are coming down the southeast hallway.

I shout for us to reposition ourselves, melee in the hallway casters behind the table. We are barely able to make the shift when a spell comes screaming down the hallway at Xan.

I shout at him to prepare, to block, to do something...

He managed to drink a Potion of Magic Blocking. He isn't affected. But Kagain is. I am already reaching for Rhialto's Holy Book. Viconia is also casting a spell. Before I get the book open, that mage down the hallway casts Confusion again, this time catching Faldorn!

Viconia's second Glyph of Warding takes the new group of guards by storm.

A million things are happening at once. Xan is poisoned, and my Dispel Magic lands successfully. Kagain and Faldorn are brought back to clarity, although some protections are removed. Also, Xan drinks another antidote and is ok again.

I notice a half a second later that my Dispel Magic has taken away all of the mage's protections and mirror images. I tell Skeezer that's his cue. He steps up, despite the fact that we are hit with a spell of Hopelessness.

The mage runs away after his spell protections are dispelled, but I had ordered Skeezer to cast Acid Arrow at him. So Skeezer runs to the back of the melee crowd and waits for the mage to return. When he does, Skeezer begins casting. At the same time, I try to throw a Fireball, not caring that Skeezer isn't protected. But the Weave cares.

I suppose the Weave is right. I shouldn't endanger an allied spellcaster just because I'm impatient. I prepare another spell, Rhialto's Random Missiles, as Skeezer and, um... Hareishan, begin a mage duel.

Hareishan is cheating, though, because he has a Black Talon Elite backing him up! I tell Skeezer to get out of there.

Besides, my much greater number of magic missiles totally takes out Hareishan's mirror images in one volley.

Gameplay note: This is like the perfect battle. You have a ton of low-level guard enemies in a hallway being slaughtered by Faldorn, Kagain, and Xan. And behind those 3 melee fighters you have two mages and a cleric, duking it out with a mage and an archer who are behind the guards. There is no better 2nd edition DnD fight than this. 2E best E!

Viconia tries to Hold the Black Talon Elite, but it doesn't stick. The highly-trained merc returns fire with an ice arrow, and Viconia retreats out of range to heal Skeezer. I reach recklessly for the Weave and try to pull out the perfect spell, the artistic, spiritual, and logical choice to shut down Hareishan forever. I strain for Acid Arrow.

Instead I just get a lot of high-pitched feedback.

But wait! No! Despite the noise, a conjured acid arrow still flies forth from me and strikes mine enemy with great power and vengeance! HAHA!

Hareishan replies with what is probably his last prepared spell - Spook. I'm surprised he gets it off before the acid burns him some more.

On the melee line, there is a lot of blood flying around.

I try to speed things along with another Fireball.

Instead I feel something big and bulky appear in my pocket. I reach in, expecting more gems, but instead I find a magical scroll. For a level 7 spell. Called Protection from the Elements. What?

But that's not all. Underneath the spell scroll are two potions. They are Potions of Firebreath. Wow!

Gameplay note: Uhh I thought I knew what all the random results were for wild surges and I never heard of someone getting a level 7 spell scroll or any potions. What the bloody hell?

I give up completely on magic, and just start throwing darts. Unfortunately I run out of darts pretty quickly too, and draw my sword to melee. As I do, Xan takes out the last of the guards blocking the hallway.

We all tear down the hallway after the two Black Talon Elite archers. As I strike at my foes, my sword gives me new insights.

Encouraged, I raise this sword of wisdom and power against my foes and strike them down in great anger.

I am become more powerful than you could possibly imagine!

Faldorn kills the last archer, and we have a small lull in the fighting.

I'm still on edge, though. That mage is still around here somewhere. We are not yet safe.

Gameplay note: This was a really epic battle, and I think I'm at the point where I should either stop now or continue on for the same amount of text again. So I'll stop here. But drat, what is up with all of Xan's kills? He was a murder machine this update!

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 20, 2012

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Xan is driven by his love for Syv, clearly. I wonder if there's script written for a Coran/Xan competition for love...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ETB posted:

Xan is driven by his love for Syv, clearly. I wonder if there's script written for a Coran/Xan competition for love...

There is. Sort of. As best I recall, they both go "If she's interested in you, then she's clearly not the type for me."

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Knock can do damage? :aaa:

The things I never knew about this game...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I didn't know Knock did damage either! Or that Glpyh of Warding is actually a decent spell?

And Xan is doing well because of his :gay: armor.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Good lord, these fights are all becoming knock-down, drag-out brawls.

Still, Xan is awesome. I love Xan.

Benjifer
May 28, 2012
I remember that mage being a much bigger pain in the rear end than that... Hmm, I guess you just scared him off quickly enough to avoid the fireballs and lightning bolts.

Also, yay for Xan! I really expected Kagain to be doing more than he currently is though...

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

This is the guy that fangirls swoon over, and were inspired to write a flowery romance with prose so purple it's edging right up to ultraviolet. I just don't get it, guys. Help me out here? :sigh:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Ahahahaha you're not even at the part of the mines that are REALLY packed with mooks yet. I knew this stretch up updates would rule, and they're delivering wonderfully so far.

Have you considered stashing gold in a container somwhere whenever you have a few thousand to spare? Maybe in the sancutary, if it has persistent containers? When you have a 1 in 100 chance of losing almost all of it that's not a terribly exploity thing to do, IMO.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

^ Gold doesn't sit in your inventory as a movable item, so you can't dump it in a barrel. Which raises interesting questions as to how it appears in these barrels in the first place.

Tax Refund posted:

Knock can do damage? :aaa:

The things I never knew about this game...

I'm almost entirely certain that's due to one of the many many mods in play.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

sebzilla posted:

I'm almost entirely certain that's due to one of the many many mods in play.

As far as I remember, Knock only unlocked doors. It didn't actually knock somebody in the head.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Man, these epic fights are exactly the sort of thing I enjoy watching other people do, but would find a gigantic arseache to do myself. This is brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

Man, these epic fights are exactly the sort of thing I enjoy watching other people do, but would find a gigantic arseache to do myself. This is brilliant.

Hey, thats why Im here!

• Locked thread