Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
1, E. A cleric for a cleric/fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

in the BG2 tweaks mod there are two components that govern party member behavior. According to the BWP 10.2 PDF I've got this first one installed:

BWP 10.2 posted:

Install Component 3121 2] NPCs can be angry about reputation but never leave (Salk) [2]

However, I DO NOT have this one:

BWP 10.2 posted:

Install Component 3123 [NPCs don't fight]? [N]ot Install

So NPCs will not leave the party but they will fight each other. That means that if they die I can resurrect them and keep on going. They just might viciously murderize each other again, I guess? Maybe?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Oh, wow, I thought you had installed that. WELP Yeslick and Kagain need to not be in the same group or we're going to lose somebody somewhere.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Personally I think little dwarf guys gettin' all mad at each other has some serious entertainment potential.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Personally I think little dwarf guys gettin' all mad at each other has some serious entertainment potential.

This.

I want to see a No Holds Barred dwarf fight to the death!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Vorgen posted:

Yes, it most certainly does!

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Oh, there's another thing that you should probably know about Yeslick. The Cloakwood Mine is his clan's ancestral mine, and he is the sole survivor of his clan. Just a little bit of tragedy there for you.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
1, D. You have a gnome. This must be rectified. (Also, Yeslick's story is kinda interesting and I'd love to see him fight with Kagain.)

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

1, D

Bye bye, silent guy!

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
1, E
Can't have enough little guys with beards and it's not a good idea to go on without a thief. I like Viconia but let her rest for now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
1, A

Benjifer
May 28, 2012
1, E

Yeslick's nothing special, but he's better than Viconia. Also Kagain and Yeslick do some funky stuff before they kill each other I think.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Brainamp posted:

Kagain and the new guy do their best to kill each other. We don't want that.

Yes we do. At least once.

Vorgen posted:

There. I feel vindicated.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Crassus posted:

Yes we do. At least once.

Oh it would be funny, but it would also mean one less body for our army. I'd rather see them working side by side to kill the big bad rather than each other.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

While Kagain and Yeslick will try to kill each other eventually, it probably won't happen right away. Or I could be wrong, as I've never had both of them in the party at the same time. But i doubt it would happen immediately.

longgonejohn
Oct 30, 2010
1,E

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
1,E

Less drow, more dwarf.

Metaconcert
Nov 28, 2010

"And my answer is when there are nine"

caleramaen posted:

While Kagain and Yeslick will try to kill each other eventually, it probably won't happen right away. Or I could be wrong, as I've never had both of them in the party at the same time. But i doubt it would happen immediately.

If it's behaving like the other dialogues (in that the rate is real playtime), it could be pretty quick. Which might be a blessing, if not for the whole 'bullshit fight' thing.

I never understood that timer.

maestro1123
Mar 8, 2012

Read the whole thread in a week and a half - loving it! Great work, Vorgen! May Syvishtar[a]'s reign be long and bloody.

I was going to vote to stick with the party we have, but then I remembered that generally if you find an NPC in a quest location, they'll have something to say about that quest.

So I'm voting 1, E - cleric swap.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Well, the vote looks pretty solid:

code:
1. Join                 ..................................
2. Leave                .
3. Juggler              .......

A. Replace Xan          .......
B. Replace Faldorn      ....
C. Replace Kagain       ..
D. Replace Skeezer      ....
E. Replace Viconia      .................
I suppose I have a mandate to replace Viconia with Yeslick, which I will do momentarily. Also, imgur.com has been not accepting my slick script automatic api upload shenanigans, so I have managed to find an upload script that works for lpix.org. I hope it doesn't cause any problems!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Crap. My office blocks lpix but not imgur. Guess I'll have to read along at home instead of with my morning joe.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

23 Nightal, 1369, Hour 14

I think the most tempting part of Yeslick's offer is that I don't know him. I have fond memories of killing gnolls with Kagain. Xan I am in love with, even though it is still early in our relationship. And back when I was a man I had a wild and crazy night of passion with Viconia. Yeslick I do not know at all, so it will be easier to risk him, or to see him fall, in battle. Besides, Viconia needs to rest that fine rear end of hers. You'd think the platemail would obscure it but nope!

All help is welcome. We've much to overcome.

That you have, and none would know better than I. These are my mines that the blasted Iron Throne has stolen. Well, they were my clan's home 125 years ago. Curse me for a fool, I trusted them! Years ago that blasted Rieltar gave me a good trade smithing for the Throne, and then I go and tell him about my old home! About how my clan had the richest iron mine on any coast, and how almost all were killed when we breached a riverbank. Lost most my kin in that flood. Those of us that survived couldn't bear to go back down. It was a giant watery tomb, and we left it the way she stood. So I go and tell this to my "friend" Rieltar, and he has me chained up! He tortures the location outta me, and now this graveyard feeds the Iron Throne as they bleed the coast dry. If you want to cripple their plans, help me flood these accursed mines once more! They plugged the breach, but knowing hands can loose the flow! We can drown these black-hearted rats in the very mine they've stolen! Here be the way!

Our paths must run apart for a while. If I should need your help again, though, we should rendezvous at the Jovial Juggler in Beregost.

I will do this, but not willingly. I am far from safe in these dwellings of surface folk.

I wave goodbye to Viconia and watch her leave. To, you know, make sure she's okay. Then I turn my attention to Yeslick. The poor guy is totally without equipment, since he was in jail. We're going to have to equip him from our stores. It doesn't start out well. He asks us for a warhammer. We, uh, we don't have any warhammers at all. That's, uh, unfortunate. The little guy really likes warhammers.

We decide to give him the Flaming Death flail.

Gameplay note: He gets 3 attacks per round with it, but his THAC0 is only 17.

We do a little equipment shifting. Yeslick also likes the Crystal Plate Mail the best for its resistances. He can use the Helm of Mind Warding, so he goes for that. We should not forget its True Sight. Of course he gets the Boots of the Forgotten Ones and the Large Shield +1 that we have. He also gets a sling and a Cloak of Protection +1, because he looks less well protected than others in the group. When he is all suited up, he looks rather dashing.

He is the toughest, strongest, potentially most damaging melee fighter we have, and that is without taking into account his spells! We must put him on the front line. In fact, he can lead us for now. Xan can come back to the rear with me.

He says that we should rest so he can pray to get his spells back. I dare not risk sleeping right out in the open where any Iron Throne flunky can find us, so I teleport us to Shaundakul's Sanctuary. We spend an uneventful night resting in the quiet. Then, we return and go down the next level of stairs.

When we get down the stairs, they are waiting for us.

Yeslick fights like a dwarf possessed, swinging his flail wildly and getting the first kill.

One of the guards is beating on me, so I run away into the corner and cast Mirror Image.

Xan takes him out a moment later.

Then Xan goes after the hobgoblin archers, and they don't fare very well.

Yeslick gets a second kill.

As Xan gets his third.

And Kagain finally contributes with the last guy.

What place is that?

These be the guardrooms. I trained me militia here, long ago... willin' lads, good wi' an axe, all o' 'em. I expect the Throne've stuffed it wi' hobgoblins an' scum like that, so watch yer step.

With that, the old dwarf speeds down the hall and enters the first door on the left. We hurry to catch up to him.

I think Yeslick takes offense to that.

Skeezer is practically bursting with excitment after looking around the room for two seconds.

There are 4 fire agate gems, about 50 gold, and two spell scrolls in here. I guess that guard had aspirations. The scrolls are of Sleep and Shocking Grasp. Skeezer copies down the Shocking Grasp and gives the Sleep to me.

But Yeslick is already down the hallway again. I think he believes he can clear this entire mine out himself.

Yeslick, Kagain, and Faldorn charge the hobgoblins, but two of them are spellcasters!

I hope we can do something about them in time. I throw out some random missiles and interrupt one of them.

But Skeezer goes for Sleep, and it takes too long to cast. The second one gets a Hold Person off aimed at Faldorn! Thankfully she resists it. Then Skeezer's spell finally goes off.

I guess Hobgoblin Captains are too cool for that sort of thing. Well I have an idea of what to do about that...

Burn baby burn! Faldorn also summons some insects to confuse one of the casters. And Skeezer shoots some magic missiles at another, but not before he successfully casts Dispel Magic at us. These shamans are no pushovers.

I try to interrupt another shaman with Chromatic Orb, but that doesn't really work out well.

Faldorn has effectively shut down one of the shamans, and the other has put himself into a Sanctuary. I think we can pretty much forget about them for the rest of the fight.

The shaman with bees dies to the bees, and the one in the Sanctuary wanders off. We are only resisted by a Captain, but he puts up quite a fight, holding the door against us in some kind of desperate last stand move.

After what seems like an eternity, Faldorn strikes him down.

Yeslick leads us further into the room and we find two more hobgoblins. He destroys both of them, one after another.

We actually find a lot of loot in this room. There is a katana and a composite long bow, which we take. There are piles of cash and gems in the chests, which are always welcome. There is one cursed scroll and one Protection from Acid scroll. Not bad. But there are also several magic scrolls of spells that I had not heard of before, even in Candlekeep. The first is Orb of Air, a level 1 spell. The second is Icebolt, a level 2 spell. And the third is Ajandurah's Ice Shard, a level 4 spell.

Gameplay note: Turn a target into a puff of smoke for 4 rounds?! I have to try this out!

So this is 2d10 damage. Other comparable level 2 damaging spells are Agannazar's Scorcher for 3d6 the first round, and 3d6 the second round. Plus its a beam so it can hit other people too. There is also Melf's Acid Arrow, which does 2d4 per round for every 3 levels. And finally, there is Rhialto's Random Missiles, that does (for now) 1d6 missiles inflicting 1d4+1 possible damage each, a range of 1-28 damage. I guess Icebolt's advantage is that it does cold damage, even though its damage is lower than comparable spells at that level. I'll load it up and give it a try.

So 3 arrows' worth of cold damage. Arrows are 1d6 damage, so this ice shard does 3d6 damage, I assume. The other damaging spell I have right now at level 4 is Ice Storm, which does 2d8 damage per round for 4 rounds to a 30' radius. I guess if you wanted to only inflict cold-based damage to one target instead of an area you might use this. But, one spell level lower you have Flame Arrow, which starts out doing 4d6 damage per arrow, and the caster gets one arrow per 4 levels, with a maximum of 5 arrows at level 20, which would be 20d6 damage. I guess, once again, this is favored for its ice properties. If an enemy is vulnerable to ice or immune to fire it would make more sense to prepare this spell. I guess.

Yeslick says we should stick to the main hallway, so we turn around and go across it to the other door. Skeezer once again ransacks the place.

We find something completely amazing in this room.

Complete immunity to normal missiles?! Skeezer puts it on. He is always getting hit with arrows.

Yeslick keeps pushing us, though, so we hit the next room, and see another surprised guard.

Again, Kagain is the one who takes him out.

In this room we find an acceptable number of potions, some money, and a scroll of Dispel Magic. This is extremely valuable tactically. Also, Skeezer and I both have it written down in our spellbooks already. I stash the scroll.

The next room we enter is some kind of armory.

There are armor and weapons hanging about all over the place. Only a Medium Shield +2 is magical, though. We leave the rest where it is, and go back out the door and down the hallway leading southeast. It is a long, ominous hallway, so we advance down it slowly, the dwarves leading the way.

We see another group of hobgoblins, and the dwarves charge towards them as fast as they can.

I shout at them to watch the open door, but they don't care. I feel a flash of magic going off.

I shout at everyone to retreat to my position, and everyone turns around to run back to me. But two volleys of Magic Missiles also come flying out of the room, and Yeslick is pelted with them.

One of the hobgoblin shamans casts Hold Person at Kagain. I tell him incoming, and he manages to drink a Potion of Freedom just before it hits. Good on him!

I wait a beat for the right moment, and then throw my one and only Potion of Explosions into the hallway. I disrupt the shaman's spell, but I forget to hold my sword when I do it and I'm caught in the blast!

Kagain hits one of the hobgoblins so hard that he falls on his back and slides down the hallway. Awesome! But at the same moment a glowing ball of mage appears at the end of the hallway, already casting a spell.

Skeezer is already casting an Acid Arrow at the hobgoblin Shaman, so he can't do anything. And I am already trying to suck the life out of a hobgoblin captain, so I can't do anything either. We are both powerless to stop Natasha from subjecting us to our first Fireball.

Skeezer dies instantly.

Another victim in our hopeless crusade.

Even though he says that, Xan still gets the deathblow on the hobgoblin captain a second later.

I'm not sure how it happened, but Kagain is all the way down the hall and in Natasha's face. I only notice when she casts her next fireball at point-blank range.

Faldorn had taken a few seconds to call a Woodland Being before getting back into melee, and the nymph has finally arrived. They always take so long. Maybe we should stop doing this in combat.

Down the hallway, Kagain drinks a Potion of Fire Resistance before running off after Natasha again.

Gameplay note: Drinking that potion puts Kagains fire resistance up to 115%, which means fire will actually HEAL him when he gets hit with it now.

Midway down the hallway Faldorn takes out one of the hobgoblins that is blocking our way.

I guess Natasha recognized the potion that Kagain drank, which is why she fries him with a Lightning Bolt this time.

Kagain dies.

I wish no dwarf dead, but I'll not miss his company!

Faldorn appears around the corner, on her way to heal Kagain, at the same time that the nymph Dimension Doors to his location. But they are both too late. The nymph just teleports away again, leaving Faldorn to face Natasha alone.

In the middle of the hallway, Xan removes the last of the resistance to us.

I call for a general retreat into the room. We can fight at the doorway. But I did not expect to see an entire other squad of hobgoblins waiting in ambush for us in here!

I call for a new retreat to the armory. We all manage to get away. The nymph even manages to Dimension Door her way to me.

We have enough time for Faldorn to cast Resist Fire and Cold on Yeslick and for the nymph to heal us all, before the hobgoblins show up again.

Then the nymph proves herself quite useful by Holding a hobgoblin captain!

Faldorn kills it, and we move on to the other hobgoblins coming down the hallway. The nymph holds one of them too.

I get out a scroll of sleep and cast it at some of the hobgoblins. One of them falls, but I feel Natasha resist it. She's back there!

My three main tanks crush the opposition and rush down the hallway to reveal Natasha in the midst of casting another spell. I am already casting of my own too.

Natasha gets finished with it first. A Lightning Bolt flies out and hits Faldorn in the chest.

She just shrugs it off and keeps coming for Natasha. Thank the Weave. My own spell fares better. Nobody resists a Fireball.

Both Faldorn and Xan run for Natasha, but she manages to rush past the hobgoblins sleeping on the floor, around the corner, and into the room, evading them completely.

When she comes back out of the door a few seconds later, it is to hit Yeslick with a nasty Magic Missile barrage.

I try to roughly approximate the spell I just learned, Orb of Air, but it doesn't really come out right.

Also she hits me with some Minute Meteors in return before ducking back into the door and out of our reach. The bitch!

On the melee line, another hobgoblin falls.

Natasha predictably comes back into view when she can cast another spell, and I try to hit her with another Orb of Air. But the Weave flows through me and hits her with another couple of different kinds of orbs.

Natasha the man tries to run away from Faldorn and Yeslick, which are hot on his tail. He only turns around once, to hit Yeslick with a full volley of Magic Missiles.

Outside, in the hallway, there's only one hobgoblin left. The nymph and I keep it from casting, and Xan keeps it from living.

Then it is all of us vs. the man-bitch Natasha. He seems to have cast every single spell he could, because he takes out a dagger and tries to defend himself. But, in the end, Yeslick strikes him down.

We think we might have a lull in the fighting, but then our nymph screams and falls to the ground, dying from a poison arrow, and a hobgoblin appears in the doorway.

Yeslick manages to take out the hobgoblin, but alas, it is too late for the nymph.

Perhaps we will survive longer than I had originally thought.

There are a ton of bodies here. I don't even know where to start. Well, wait, yes I do. I must start at Skeezer's body, because he's holding the bags and the glasses of identification. The second place I stop is Natasha's body. He has some scrolls of spells I do not yet know - Ghoul Touch and Hold Person. Hold Person is exactly like the cleric spell. But Ghoul Touch is new.

He also has Slow and Mirror Image, which I put in my spellbook. Last, he has a mage robe, a Traveler's Robe. I put it on the mule, along with Skeezer's stuff. The rest of the bodies only have minor gems, a few +1 arrows, and gold coins on them.

Then, I stop to ponder our situation.

We are deep within the mines, deep within enemy territory, and from the looks of things we are almost done. We are down two men, but the remaining guys are quite strong. If I were to go back to the Jovial Juggler now, I'd lose days, almost a week, of travel time. When I got there the only help I could pick up would be Dynaheir and Jaheira. They are good enough people, but I feel as though they'd just be slaughtered here in a moment's time, with all the Fireballs flying around. I think that given the circumstances, we should just press on. Yeslick, Xan, Faldorn, and myself can flood these mines. I'm sure of it. Probably. If we use all our potions and scrolls. Lets see at least.

We arrange everything, passing out potions and going through scrolls. Yeslick takes a lot of Kagain's fighter equipment too. We are eventually ready. Then we charge around the corner and through the next door we see. There are two squads of hobgoblins here. Time to die!

Two shamans finish their spells and both go after Xan. He resists the first, but the second Hold holds.

My Sleep scroll takes a lot more of the hobgoblins out of commission than one.

With almost every hobgoblin in the room asleep, Yeslick and Faldorn go right after the magic users. Me too, actually.

We are doing pretty good, but I do not kill the shaman that I'm attacking right away, and that gives it time to cast Dispel Magic on the general area. All of the hobgoblins wake back up.

I try to put them all back to sleep again, but it doesn't work as well the second time.

Faldorn holds off the entire room's complement of hobgoblin fighters while Yeslick and I finish slaughtering the casters.

Then we all turn on the melee guys. It isn't pretty.

I get out my Ring of Energy. It has been too long since I've used this!

Xan snaps out of the Hold Person and joins in on the fun.

Yeslick finishes taking out the ranged guys that were in the corner, and the battle is practically won.

I even jump into the melee with my sword.

Yeslick takes out the last of the hobgoblins, and we have taken another room!

Yeslick is the one to clean up. After collecting all the baubles and money, he drinks a Potion of Stone Giant Strength and starts ripping open chests.

He has some problems with two chests, so Xan pops a Potion of Fire Giant Strength and rips the top of the chest off of the bottom.

We find gems, jewelry, two Potions of Major Healing (much needed), two magical axes, a magical spear, and a magical amulet. No one can identify what they are, so I put on the Girdle of Cognizance and turn back into a man to try to identify them.

It feels both strange and familiar to be male. I am able to tell what the spear is. We have seen one before already; it is a Spear of Fire. One of the Battle Axes I can identify too, and it is Enrager.

The amulet turns out to be the Amulet of Great Foresight.

I put the Amulet on, but then I feel the coldness of a curse closing on me!

The Amulet doesn't seem to do anything to me besides not leave my neck. But I'm a little worried. It also doesn't work as advertised. I'm going to have to remove this eventually. The last axe, a pole axe, is not something I can identify right now. I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow.

Then I think we should rest, so I try to use the Stone of Recall. It doesn't work. Nothing happens. Is this place warded against teleportation magic? Are we too far underground? I do not know, but I worry.

We decide to keep going. Yeslick has a fire burning in his eyes that I can sortof understand. He needs these people gone from his ancestral home right away. We go back the way we came, down the hallway, and enter the next room. We are greeted with the sound of flies buzzing, and the sight of corpses.

Here, Syvishtara, here is another awful consequence of civilization! A wild beast finishes his kill and eats it! But "cultured" beings satisfy their hunger by slaughtering enslaved cows and pigs - so their natural instinct to kill for food gets perverted into a desire to murder and cause pain!

Ye sick fiend... ye've made a pain-house out o' me home! DIE, YE FILTH!

You disgusting animal. Unlike the pathetic slave that you've tortured, we can fight back!

Take your best shot.

Finally! I've been carrying this spell in my spellbook since we entered the mines, and I can finally cast it.

For my trouble I get hit with two Acid Arrows!

Then Yeslick does something that I totally did not expect. He throws out his hands in a spell-like gesture and some energy flies out to hit the ground behind the Ogre Mage. There is a rebound, and all of the spell and physical protections disappear from the magic-wielding beast. GO YESLICK!

Gameplay note: I had forgotten Yeslick's special ability is a free Dispel Magic as a spell-like ability.

The acid from the Ogre Mage's acid arrows eats into me, and although I drink a healing potion it doesn't go away.

You know what, though? I don't have to deal with this poo poo. I take out a Protection from Acid scroll and use it on myself. It works! Also, Yeslick hits the Ogre Mage with that flail and sends him into a panic!

The Ogre Mage runs for a bit, and then tries to stop and turn. He tries to cast a spell, but Xan isn't having any of that. He chunks the Ogre Mage and blood sprays everywhere.

He isn't carrying any loot. But at least he won't be torturing and killing any longer. I can live with that.

Hallway, door. We take a look inside. There is a guard who is apparently very hard of hearing.

We don't really need a reason. We're here to kill you.

We'll see who'll be doing the dying today!

Yeslick immediately chunks him. It's pretty funny.

We decide to take the northwest hallway to see where it leads. It leads to a small temple.

No! Now die scum!

Xan decapitates him with one swipe of his sword.

Yeslick stands still in shocked silence for about half a second. Then,

What's wrong?

What's wrong? What's wrong?!? Look around ye! The scum've taken me shrine... Clangeddin's shrine... an' they'e given it to Mad Cyric! O' all the filth ta track into me home, ta bring the Mad God's worship in here... they're gonna pay, ye mark me words. They're all gonna bloody pay!

Isn't there anything w can do here?

Nay... consecratin' this shrine'd take a lot longer than we have, an' I'd need all sorts o' special holy widgets ta do it, too. Not ta mention we'd need at least a week wi' a scrubbin' brush an' some incense or what-have-ye ta get rid o' the stink o' Cyric. By Clangeddin, what a mess!

We will make them pay for this blasphemy, Yeslick... never fear.

Aye... Aye! DAVAEORN! Yer death is comin'!

In one vase we find a Potion of Stone Giant Strength and an Elixir of Health. A godsend if there ever was one! And in the other we find a Potion of Invulnerability and one of Healing too. Excellent!

We follow the hallway back northwest, and it opens into the room we first came into. This time we take the southwest door, and we find a lava forge. This is definitely dwarven make. It is here that Faldorn decides to broach the subject of evil with Yeslick.

By Clangeddin's beard, lass, me clan never wronged a thing o' nature!

No race is greedier than yours, and it is nature who gives you the wealth. You burn the trees for fuel and dig the galleries and tunnels deep, and convert the body of our mother into shiny metal toys.

What do ye think the Nature intended metals fer? Fer hidin' in its womb?

The rocks are root of mountains and the floor of the valleys.

But change and purge o' the roots is the way o' nature.

The uprooted plant dies.

As the flowers and trees o' the surface wither ta be born again, so the metal's taken out so new metal can be created.

It does not work that way, Yeslick. For the dead plant returns to mother, but your worked metal does not.

Whew. Okay then. This debate is not something I really care about. Let us move on, shall we? Going down the final hallway, we find a deep, circular hole in the ground.

I can only imagine that this is where the dwarves got their mining done. The next room we come to looks like a cafeteria of some sort.

There is nothing and no one here. We take a glance and move on. In the room behind it, we encounter a final group of hobgoblins, their shaman blessing them.

The same thing happens as last time - Xan is held and our magical protections are dispelled.

I try to help with the fighting, but I am hit, so I retreat, cast Mirror Image from a scroll, and move in to melee again.

Another Hold Person flies in and gets both Yeslick and Xan. I could dispel it but I hope I don't have to.

The hobgoblins just can't seem to hurt Yeslick and Xan, and Faldorn and I cut the hobgoblins down one by one.

The narrow hallway really works to our advantage, because we can overpower hobgoblins one at a time. Faldorn can even take time out to heal me.

Then both Yeslick and Xan wake up from the Hold, and we actually have to move further away from the door to give them enough room to swing at the hobgoblins too.

Yeslick takes the last hobgoblin out that we can see.

The others inside the door also fall to us quickly.

Then we go to the end of this small room and find the stairway down.

I look at my companions. Dare we go down there now? I cannot think we would survive. We must rest, re-memorize spells, and prepare. We have to go up.

It is on the way back, when I pull ahead of everyone and realize that I have no idea where I'm going, that I realize I'm almost blind.

Gameplay note: I don't know if the fog of war effect comes through in the screenshot but I can only see basically one foot on each side of me. That damned Amulet did the opposite of what it said!

It is the Amulet! Gah! I must get it off me! We climb back up the stairs and into the second level of the mines. I try my Stone of Recall. It still doesn't work!

Gameplay note: After extensive testing I determined that the Stone of Recall doesn't work if you have dead party members in your group. I guess this is a new bug, and a difference between the version of the BWP I started with and the version I reinstalled. I guess I'm going to just have to tough it out.

I don't know what else to do, so I say that we're going to camp here. I hope nobody comes.

Nobody does.

Then Yeslick casts the spell to get this drat amulet off me.

The spell throws the cursed amulet onto the ground.

I'm also able to determine what the magical axe is - it is another Pole Axe +2: Kilther, just like the other one in the mule.

We are down by two, but we are not out. We travel down to the stairway to the bottom-most level, and it is there that we prepare.

I cast Resist Fear, Shield, and Invisibility on myself.

Yeslick drinks Potions of Magic Protection, Stone Giant Strength, Invulnerability, and Clarity.

Xan drinks Potions of Fortitude, Heroism, Magic Protection, Insulation, Defense, Clarity, and Regeneration.

Gameplay note: Drinking the Potion of Fortitude bumps Xan's CON to 18 and therefore his hit points to 47. Drinking the Potion of Heroism right after gives him another +10%, bumping his hit points up again to 51.

Faldorn can't use any potions but she buffs herself with Resist Fire and Cold and Armor of Faith.

We are ready for whatever comes.

As soon as we make it down the stairs, Faldorn calls a nymph to our side.

Then a guard strolls up, unconcerned.

Well we don't, that's not too much of a problem, is it?

The guard immediately goes hostile.

The nymph Holds him, and he is dead.

Faldorn decides that now is a great time to call another nymph. I agree.

Then we advance, and as we do, we hear a voice from the darkness of the end of the hallway.

One name o' ours ye know, at least, mage - Yeslick Orothiar I am, an' it sickens me ta think that ye're goin' ta share the same grave as me kin. Prepare fer the Abyss, Davaeorn!

Well, well... the fool escapes, does he? Then let us see whose graves shall be filled!

I will slay you for your affront to nature, pale townling!

That's a new one, to be sure. But it matters not. You are dead, druid, though I have heard that your ilk gives death little significance.

Now that we are introduced, prepare to die!

I feel a familiar flash of magic, as Davaeorn calls up his protections.

He also reveals himself as he throws some Minute Meteors at Faldorn, who is the closest to him. But she is a diversion. A diversion for me. I step forward and cast Spell Thrust on him. It should dispel all his protections.

Uh... that means, that means his spell protections are above 5th level! Crap! I'm starting to get a little worried. My worry continues after Davaeorn returns with a Fireball, killing the nymph and greatly injuring me.

But then Yeslick finishes his Dispel Magic, and it evaporates the protections around Davaeorn like so much mist in the morning. It is beautiful. I shout CHARGE! and Yeslick and Xan run after the newly-vulnerable Davaeorn. Faldorn chooses to begin casting Summon Insects at Davaeorn. I try to heal myself but get hit with a Magic Missile from a Battle Horror and lose my spell!

As Xan passes the two branching hallways he notices two Black Talon Elite archers. One of them draws his bow and shoots out an Arrow of Detonation at Xan!

It interrupts Faldorn's spell. She chooses to go after one of the archers instead.

Yeslick and Xan get rearranged by the Teleport Field, which also reveals the presence of a backup mage, Morgan. He casts an Acid Arrow at Yeslick but it doesn't stick.

I notice that Davaeorn has managed to give himself some more Mirror Images. I have just the scroll for that. I take it out and cast it - Detect Illusion. The Mirror Images disappear.

Davaeorn is reckless and out of control! He casts Cone of Cold at Yeslick, killing one of his own Battle Horrors and the mage Morgan as well!

Xan and Yeslick beat on Davaeorn some more, and he looks pretty injured. But then he drinks a potion.

Faldorn had been trying to occupy the Black Talon Elite archers, but they had been slowly winning for some time. Now one of them gets extremely lucky and strikes her down with his sword.

I manage to injure Davaeorn with a volley of Random Missiles.

Davaeorn casts Sunfire, and greatly damages Yeslick. Xan is immune of course, and apparently all the Battle Horrors are too. I wonder where I can get myself some of those minions as I rush right, past the Black Talon Elite archers, and down the hallway to behind the Teleport Field.

Davaeorn tries to run away from me when he sees me, but he's not fast enough. I hit him with another volley of Magic Missiles, and he dies.

Of course, that still leaves 2 Black Talon Elites and two Battle Horrors for us to deal with. I get everyone to retreat into a hallway and do a little Fireball.

We all move faster than our enemies. I call for a regroup at the front room, in order to have a bit of a rest before killing the rest of the bad guys. We rush thre in a moment. But even though the Battle Horrors move slowly, they also teleport around when they need to. Both of them teleport to us and strike me as I'm trying to cast Fireball, ruining my spell!

Also one of the Black Talon Elites show up. I send Yeslik after him to make him think twice.

I manage to cast Mirror Image but the Battle Horror sees through it!

At least Yeslick manages to chunk one of the Black Talon Elites.

And, as I'm running away from the Battle Horrors I see him chunk the other!

These Battle Horrors just do not give up! Even with Yeslick and Xan beating on it, it still comes after me.

I'm reduced to running through the hallways in circles. After endless running around, we FINALLY kill one of them. It explodes in a horrible red light.

Yeslick is happy with that!

Xan and Yeslick together go back to the other Battle Horror and begin to beat on it too.

It also eventually dies.

Then Yeslick heals me up, and we are done.

Another location has been turned into a pile of corpses, some of them ours. I am nothing but walking death.

Gameplay note: And that brings us to Chapter 6! We're speeding along now! Next stop, the titular Baldur's Gate itself! This update has been very long, so I will publish it now. There will be one more update tying up loose ends, and then we will have a new party vote.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 14, 2012

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

God, I feel tired just reading that meatgrinder. I would have travelled back to the nearest town after the first too deaths and immersion be damned, but I for an LP soldering on was the right thing to do. Did you have to reload anytime in this update? Just curious.

I'm sad that we'll have no dwarves fighting to the death for our entertainment, though.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Yes I did have to reload. Unfortunately that last fight with Davaeron was a real bitch. I had to reload a few times. I've saved one of them so you can see how frustrating it was to go through the entire fight and then get killed by a punk-rear end mercenary at the very end.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Vorgen posted:

Kagain drinks Potions of Magic Protection, Stone Giant Strength, Invulnerability, and Clarity.

I think you meant Yeslick, since Kagain was a corpse at that point.

Nice work, though I'm surprised Faldorn fell with her insane AC.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Shame that Kagain had to bite it before we got any amusing dwarvish bitchery, but:

A) gently caress yeah, Yeslick! I knew there was a reason why I remembered being fond of him
B) I tip my hat to you for surviving that madhouse, sir, especially down two party members. Even if you did have to reload, that was well done.

CheSera
May 17, 2003

I am the script warrior.
This is a really fantastic thread, thanks for wading through the meat grinder Vorgen.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Even without mods Daevorn is a complete bitch to fight, teleport fields always seem to be way worse when the enemy is casting them, add all the additional monsters, his high caster level and SCS caster scripts and he become quite deadly.

Chapter 6 will probably be the biggest chapter, most of the sidequests ( Baldurs Gate Proper is 90% sidequest ) all happen in here. And man do we have sidequests to do. So many quests.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Tzarnal posted:

Even without mods Daevorn is a complete bitch to fight, teleport fields always seem to be way worse when the enemy is casting them, add all the additional monsters, his high caster level and SCS caster scripts and he become quite deadly.

Chapter 6 will probably be the biggest chapter, most of the sidequests ( Baldurs Gate Proper is 90% sidequest ) all happen in here. And man do we have sidequests to do. So many quests.

Yeah at this point in a vanilla game players often ask something like "how the hell am I going to get another 125,000 xp?" Baldur's Gate. You will find that XP and more in Baldur's Gate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And I'll have another roll of the dead after another update, looks like. I think I'll do them after the end of each chapter.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Dear lord, you lost half the part, and you even had a decent party going in, too. :psyduck:

That strategic mod is crazy.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shei-kun posted:

Dear lord, you lost half the part, and you even had a decent party going in, too. :psyduck:

That strategic mod is crazy.

I like how the thread totally freaked out when Vorgen found a +2 greatsword back in Beregost, then by the time he got to Bone Hill its broken loot elicited little more than a few jokes, and now nobody even mentions stuff like that permanent protection from arrows necklace.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

NihilCredo posted:

I like how the thread totally freaked out when Vorgen found a +2 greatsword back in Beregost, then by the time he got to Bone Hill its broken loot elicited little more than a few jokes, and now nobody even mentions stuff like that permanent protection from arrows necklace.

Well it's par for the course now. What with the need for us to outfit an army we ain't gonna complain at an army's worth of broken gear.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

I'm fairly sure most of the enemies (or at least the ones worth mentioning) have upgraded to ice arrows, so they are still going to be a problem.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
That was a seriously intense update. Nice job clearing out the big Mook with a party of jsut 4. Yeslick kicked a fair bit of rear end there, and I really like his character. I'm definitely going to be voting to keep him around for a while..

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Oh, and he did it while wielding a flail he is not proficient in. Imagine what he could do if we actually got him a magical warhammer.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Vorgen posted:

Oh, and he did it while wielding a flail he is not proficient in. Imagine what he could do if we actually got him a magical warhammer.

How about just respeccing him to flails for our amusement? :v:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ETB posted:

How about just respeccing him to flails for our amusement? :v:
No! He must remain with his hammers. I'm sure we'll find some "broken" ones along the way that make us more survivable against everything we've run up against.

Seriously, I thought that equipment was broken before, but now it is proving to be necessary for survival.

On the other hand, part of the issue is definitely Vorgen keeping all of that swag and such to be able to outfit the Army of NPCs for the endgame of BG1, and also swapping out party members at the whims of us goons. I'm fairly positive that keeping a standard five to eight NPC rotation (depending on area and such) and selling all unnecessary equipment (thus allowing purchase of some of the shinies we've seen in the shops) would make this much, much easier due to consolidation of EXP and such.

But that's no fun! :v:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I'd like to keep Yeslick with warhammers, because flails are Finch's thing. There are so many weapon types in this game that having one per character is just common sense. There is, after all, a hammer and axe vendor at the Friendly Arm Inn. We might have to pay him a visit.

Oh, and now that we are in Chapter 6 all the vendors have lowered their prices, since trade is returning to normal and inflation is down. At least that's how it's supposed to work in theory. So those 80,000 gold magic weapons might only be 65,000 gold ;).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Vorgen posted:

Oh, and now that we are in Chapter 6 all the vendors have lowered their prices, since trade is returning to normal and inflation is down. At least that's how it's supposed to work in theory. So those 80,000 gold magic weapons might only be 65,000 gold ;).

We might be able to afford one by the end of the game sans any more "accidents".

• Locked thread