Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RelentlessImp posted:

A visit to the Fugue Plane to await their deity's pleasure and their eternal reward or to be absorbed into the Wall of the Faithless is the only award anyone needs. :colbert:

Well, there's actually half a dozen gods of death in Faerun. Jergal and Kelemvor for the humans, Sehanine Moonbow for the elves, Dumathoin for the dwarves, Segojan Earthcaller for the gnomes, and Urogolan for the halflings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

Cythereal posted:

Well, there's actually half a dozen gods of death in Faerun. Jergal and Kelemvor for the humans, Sehanine Moonbow for the elves, Dumathoin for the dwarves, Segojan Earthcaller for the gnomes, and Urogolan for the halflings.
It's even more amusing than that. The default cosmology of FR is actually rather narrow, with lots of gods sharing a relatively small number of divine realms. Think of it sort of like Valhalla, with a number of gods each having their own plot of divine real estate, but they all live in the same neighborhood.

When you die, your soul goes to the Fugue Plane to be sorted. If you're devout, servants of your god will show up to sweep you off to your eternal reward. If you're not, you get mortared into the Wall of the Faithless. Every so often a few souls here and there will get poached, generally by demons and the like.

So, then what? You just get to party it up with your god for all eternity, right?

Turns out, maybe not so much.

See, the thing is, once you die you become what's known as a Petitioner. The Petitioner-that-was-once-you is basically your soul, now freed from the fleshy confines of your body. Petitioners have a particular ... er, life cycle, for lack of a better term. The big thing about Petitioners, their main feature one could say, is that as soon as you are one you start to forget who you were. Little by little your memories, your personality, your features, everything that made you you, they start to diminish and fade. As soon as Petitioner-You is on the scene, you start to vanish like a puddle of gasoline in the sunshine, dying in the only way left to you.

And once all the You is bleached out of you, you just sort of collapse. You melt away into a little heap of planar energy, merging with the ambient energy of your god's divine home. The same stuff that your god, and any other gods living in the same neighborhood, use to sustain themselves or draw upon any time they want something done.

In the Forgotten Realms, your reward for a lifetime of devotion is to enjoy the spiritual equivalent of progressive Alzheimer's before dying a second time and becoming the divine equivalent of Play-Doh.

And if you don't play along? You get to suffer in the Wall.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Sejs Cube posted:

In the Forgotten Realms, your reward for a lifetime of devotion is to enjoy the spiritual equivalent of progressive Alzheimer's before dying a second time and becoming the divine equivalent of Play-Doh.

I was just about to do a write-up about it, too.

And this is my biggest issue with Forgotten Realms as a whole. Their afterlife is /depressing as hell/. Every time I'm forced to play in a FR-centric campaign I make a character whose entire goal in life is to avoid the Gray Waste. Just gently caress. that. noise.

Even so, these people are helping out Syvishtar(a) towards a certain goal. It's all the fate they deserve.

Garbageman
Jun 6, 2004

Here I come! Too-Too-Toodlin' along!

That is terrifically depressing. Is it much different in the other D&D worlds? I have to imagine it's even more depressing in other ones, considering FR is somewhat more high fantasy than a Dark Sun or Ravenloft or whatever.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Do the Seven Hells exist in the Forgotten Realms? I kinda think that fighting dudes for all eternity in the Blood Wars is a more interesting afterlife than either of those options.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Garbageman posted:

That is terrifically depressing. Is it much different in the other D&D worlds? I have to imagine it's even more depressing in other ones, considering FR is somewhat more high fantasy than a Dark Sun or Ravenloft or whatever.

Other D&D realms work differently. All that stuff is very FR-specific. The Fugue Plane doesn't even exist in other D&D realms (nor does the Wall of the Faithless, etc.)

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Garbageman posted:

Each pantheon has different afterlives. Krynn, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Eberron, Greyhawk. Only Ravenloft rivals Forgotten Realms for depressing - your soul is lost into the mists separating the domains of the Demiplane of Dread, and you wander amongst horrors and evil until either:

A new domain forms and you're returned to a physical shell to be subject to the horrors upon your newly mortal flesh.

or

You're consumed by the mists and swallowed whole.

or

You escape and return to your proper cosmology's afterlife.

Nothing :wtf: as the Wall of the Faithless, though.

JT Jag posted:

Do the Seven Hells exist in the Forgotten Realms? I kinda think that fighting dudes for all eternity in the Blood Wars is a more interesting afterlife than either of those options.

The Seven Hells are replaced by the Infinite Layers of the Abyss. You don't go there unless you're either: Foolish enough to Plane Shift there, foolish enough to sign a Faustian compact, or your soul is stolen from the Fugue Plane. And if it's either of the latter two, welcome to servitude and torture for eternity, because there's no escape. If it's the former, what the hell are you doing? I hope your Cleric or Mage prepared two copies of the spell.

vvvv Oops. Yes, the Seven Hells still exist as Baator, or The Nine Hells - at least in FR 3rd Edition. Forgot about the LE/CE split.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 17, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

^^^^^^^Seven Hells and Infinite Abyss both exist in Forgotten Realms cosmology, I think. It's Dragonlance where basically all the gods get their own layer in the Abyss.

I think the whole Petitioner system was set up in Planescape, rather than Forgotten Realms, mostly to explain why there aren't a ton of extremely powerful former mortals wandering through the afterlife wreaking all sorts of havoc. As such, it applies generally to all D&D settings; the only FR-specific bits are the Fugue Plain and how you need a god to sponsor you out of the Wall of the Faithless.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Neverwinter Night 2's amazing Mask of the Betrayer -expansion deals with the Wall and similar themes quite a bit.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Don't know if I'd call it 'amazing', but it does have one of the best graphic and audio representations of the Wall and the various stages of absorption. Just like becoming Deific Play-Doh, the Wall eventually consumes your soul and you just become a thoughtless voice lost in the agonized wailing screaming for a life you no longer remember.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eberron's afterlife is worse than the Realms', honestly. When you die, your soul goes to Dolurrh, the evil plane of death and oblivion filled with undead. And your soul wastes away to nothing. That's it. That's the sum total of the afterlife in Eberron, barring alternative options like undeath.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

So i got a little confused - is this series of games set in the same universe as Planescape: Torment? perhaps it will all become clear in two years or so as the plot progresses

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

oystertoadfish posted:

So i got a little confused - is this series of games set in the same universe as Planescape: Torment? perhaps it will all become clear in two years or so as the plot progresses

Yes and no. Planescape is kind of the meta-setting that has its own cosmology. The cosmology of the Realms does correspond to Planescape for the most part, but has its differences. That said, there's a couple of NPCs, Bioware and mod, that do tie more deeply to the Planes and one mod NPC's quest involves Sigil.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

People posted:

depressing things about the FR afterlife

Man, no wonder death's such a revolving door in D&D.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

oystertoadfish posted:

The setting of Planescape is sort of a hub world for all the rest of the realms, though most of the time people who hop planes just skip straight through Sigil.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brainamp posted:

The setting of Planescape is sort of a hub world for all the rest of the realms, though most of the time people who hop planes just skip straight through Sigil.

The Forgotten Realms, Krynn, and Greyhawk are both tacit parts of the Planescape setting as different material planes or different worlds on the Prime Material Plane, too. Ravenloft is just kind of weird and by its very nature doesn't involve the planes at all. Dark Sun is separate as a place that does exist in the overall metasetting but has been sealed off from the planes for the most part. Eberron, on the other hand, is as usual off doing its own thing completely with nary a gently caress to be given for the rest of DnD.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

The Forgotten Realms, Krynn, and Greyhawk are both tacit parts of the Planescape setting as different material planes or different worlds on the Prime Material Plane, too. Ravenloft is just kind of weird and by its very nature doesn't involve the planes at all. Dark Sun is separate as a place that does exist in the overall metasetting but has been sealed off from the planes for the most part. Eberron, on the other hand, is as usual off doing its own thing completely with nary a gently caress to be given for the rest of DnD.

Ravenloft is a sealed-off demiplane in the Ethereal Plane, making it like Dark Sun where it exists but doesn't interact with the meta-settings. And although they never provided a guide or anything, Eberron's planes map fairly easily to the extended Planescape/Greyhawk planes if the DM is so inclined.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Ravenloft is a sealed-off demiplane in the Ethereal Plane, making it like Dark Sun where it exists but doesn't interact with the meta-settings. And although they never provided a guide or anything, Eberron's planes map fairly easily to the extended Planescape/Greyhawk planes if the DM is so inclined.

Given the whole planar orbits, the Far Realm is instead a plane in its own right (albeit one flung away from its orbit around Eberron), the gods being a big question mark, etc., I find the Eberron cosmology difficult to reconcile with the standard Planescape cosmology. Eberron pretends the other settings don't exist in its cosmology, and I think it's the better for it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cythereal posted:

Given the whole planar orbits, the Far Realm is instead a plane in its own right (albeit one flung away from its orbit around Eberron), the gods being a big question mark, etc., I find the Eberron cosmology difficult to reconcile with the standard Planescape cosmology. Eberron pretends the other settings don't exist in its cosmology, and I think it's the better for it.

If the gateway from Eberron to the rest of the worlds is the Far Realm, it's probably a gateway not worth taking.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

caleramaen posted:

If the gateway from Eberron to the rest of the worlds is the Far Realm, it's probably a gateway not worth taking.

Well, it's up to the DM if Xoriat and the Far Realm are the same thing or not. In Eberron, Xoriat is one of the thirteen planes orbiting the plane of Eberron itself and is home to everything that calls the Far Realm home in other settings, plus a new suite of aberrations specific to Eberron, like the Daelkyr. In the setting's backstory, after a long-ago war against a Xoriat invasion, orc druids successfully threw Xoriat far out of its normal planar orbit so that Xoriat and Eberron can no longer cross over.

Other planes that could be mapped easily enough to Planescape planes are Daanvi (Arcadia), Kythri (Limbo), Lamannia (the Beastlands), Mabar (Negative Energy Plane), and maybe Thelanis (Fae, if you give them their own plane). Dolurrh, Fernia, Irian, Risia, and Syrania could, at a stretch, be mapped to planes, but don't really fit. Finally, Dal Quor and Shevarath have no parallels at all.

Eberron does have the Astral, Ethereal, and Shadow Planes, but again, the cosmology and way the planes interact is so wildly different that it would be a stretch to say that Eberron is part of the normal metasetting.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cythereal posted:

Well, it's up to the DM if Xoriat and the Far Realm are the same thing or not. In Eberron, Xoriat is one of the thirteen planes orbiting the plane of Eberron itself and is home to everything that calls the Far Realm home in other settings, plus a new suite of aberrations specific to Eberron, like the Daelkyr. In the setting's backstory, after a long-ago war against a Xoriat invasion, orc druids successfully threw Xoriat far out of its normal planar orbit so that Xoriat and Eberron can no longer cross over.

Other planes that could be mapped easily enough to Planescape planes are Daanvi (Arcadia), Kythri (Limbo), Lamannia (the Beastlands), Mabar (Negative Energy Plane), and maybe Thelanis (Fae, if you give them their own plane). Dolurrh, Fernia, Irian, Risia, and Syrania could, at a stretch, be mapped to planes, but don't really fit. Finally, Dal Quor and Shevarath have no parallels at all.

Eberron does have the Astral, Ethereal, and Shadow Planes, but again, the cosmology and way the planes interact is so wildly different that it would be a stretch to say that Eberron is part of the normal metasetting.

I'm not familiar with Eberron really, I was just commenting on the fact that the Far Realm is not a nice place. And if that is the stretch you have to make to connect the universes it isn't worth making.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

caleramaen posted:

I'm not familiar with Eberron really, I was just commenting on the fact that the Far Realm is not a nice place. And if that is the stretch you have to make to connect the universes it isn't worth making.

It is an option. Or you could take the "deep Astral" or "deep Shadow" ideas the planar handbooks raise as ways to access a dramatically different setting that has at least the plane in question. But I concur, as I originally said, that Eberron as usual is off doing its own thing independent of the rest of DnD.

I am a big Eberron fan, for my part. Unfortunately, the area in BG2 that includes big shout-outs to Greyhawk and Dark Sun doesn't have any Eberron bits, as the setting didn't exist when BG2 was made.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

You can manage it if you go into the extended cosmology; para- and quasielemental planes and all the optional pseudo planes from the back of the books. The way I would map them is Daanvi (Arcadia), Dal Quor (Plane of Dream), Dolurrh (Gray Waste), Fernia (Elemental Plane of Fire), Irian (Positive Elemental Plane or Elysium), Kythri (Limbo), Lamannia (Beastlands), Mabar (Negative Elemental Plane), Risia (Paraelemental Plane of Ice), Shavarath (Acheron, considering the blade beasts), Syrania (Elemental Plane of Air), Thelanis (Arboria), and Xoriat (Far Plane). The relative prominence of these planes could be explained by the special connection Eberron's moons have with them, as with the conjunction system.

Of course, like you said, this does require some stretching. The only reason for a DM to do it would be to bring Eberronian characters into Planescape or vice versa. I just like to have that option, even if it goes unused.

Benjifer
May 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

... the area in BG2 that includes big shout-outs to Greyhawk and Dark Sun...

Which parts are those? I know where a Dragonlance reference is, but I can't remember Greyhawks or Dark Suns...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Benjifer posted:

Which parts are those? I know where a Dragonlance reference is, but I can't remember Greyhawks or Dark Suns...

The planar sphere. I think the knight folks are supposed to be from Greyhawk (caveat: I know basically nothing about Greyhawk), and the cannibal halflings are from Dark Sun.

Benjifer
May 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The planar sphere. I think the knight folks are supposed to be from Greyhawk (caveat: I know basically nothing about Greyhawk), and the cannibal halflings are from Dark Sun.

The Knights are actually from Dragonlance. Knights of Solamnia are Krynn's version of Paladins.

Good to know about Cannibalings though, I always assumed they were a demonic version of a normal race, much like Tannarukks, Tieflings and so on.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Eberron's afterlife is worse than the Realms', honestly. When you die, your soul goes to Dolurrh, the evil plane of death and oblivion filled with undead. And your soul wastes away to nothing. That's it. That's the sum total of the afterlife in Eberron, barring alternative options like undeath.

I would submit that Forgotten Realms is worse simply because in Eberron, the Gods are a giant question mark, as stated before. In Faerun, they're real and have serious impact on people's lives - and people devote themselves to the deities for their entire life, only to have that devotion rewarded with becoming a Red Bull for your God.

Benjifer posted:

The Knights are actually from Dragonlance. Knights of Solamnia are Krynn's version of Paladins.

Good to know about Cannibalings though, I always assumed they were a demonic version of a normal race, much like Tannarukks, Tieflings and so on.

I loved the Dragonlance reference. It got so little love then, and gets so little now. And yes, the Cannibalistic halflings are an entire tribe worth of halflings in Dark Sun. They're kinda scary. But then again, it's Dark Sun - everything wants to kill you, including yourself if you're a mage.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

30 Alturiak, 1370

We decide to stay in Nashkel for a few days. Finch wants to see about the reception of her library, and I want to be in a place where people aren't trying to kill me. I really like this pastoral village, actually.

We head to the Inn, where we relax for a while.

Finch reads us another one of her stories.

History of Halruaa posted:

Over the centuries Dambrath has attacked and raided Halruaa's ports and borders multiple times. Once, led by a magic resistant barbarian, the Dambraii occupied all of the country south of Lake Halruaa. They were defeated in battle by the great archmage Mycontil, who slew their barbarian leader. Forty-thousand Dambraii attacked, and were stopped by 500 Halruans. More than 200 Halruan wizards, including Mycontil, died in the battle.

The last attack upon Halruaa was less than 100 years ago, through the Telath Pass by the power hungry king of Lapaliiya. He had allied with bandits from the wastes, though this time the Halruans were able to field a larger force, including fighting men as well as wizards in their skyships. The attackers were easily routed.

Halruaa also suffered through a civil war about five centuries ago, when a number of mages advocated beginning new experiments in magic, ones which even the Netheril didn't approve of. The renegades were driven from the region, but went on to found the land of Thay, or so it is said in Halruaa.

Since then, Halruaa has been at peace (they have had no declared wars), though it still suffers raids from Dambraii pirates, bandits of the wastes, savages from the Mhair Jungles, and any other pirate, raider, or hungry wizard who thinks that magic and wealth grow on trees in Halruaa.

This constant raiding has made the Halruans very defensive, warlike and traditional. The people say that since wizards have always led them, wizards always will.
I wonder what it would be like to live in a land where wizards rule. I probably wouldn't have to be running all about the place, mucking around in dank dungeons and dodging assassins. I'd probably have decent meals every day.
Then we sleep, and wake, and have breakfast, and sleep some more. It is a great time to relax. I begin to take up the habit of early morning walks. While wandering around the fields for a stroll one day, I see something that looks a little out of place.

I go to take a closer look, and find some sort of buried stash of treasure! A few coins, a Star Diopside Gem, a Studded Leather +2, and a Faded Cloak.

Oh my god! Noober was a wizard?! I wonder who would like to be faded most, and I decide to give the cloak to Kivan. Then we go back across the bridge to the east side of town. As we are going by, we see a Mrs. Blackwood standing nearby. She looks upset, so I approach her.

You look as if something is troubling you. Can I help you in any way?

Ah, don't you worry. I... Sarah! Leave Tom alone! No, I already said you can't have it! ...well, it's children, you know. They always... Tom! Don't *you* start it now. For heaven's sake! *sigh* Thank you very much, but I don't want to waste your time.

She turns away, and I feel like the conversation is over. But I persist.

I couldn't help but overhear your sighing. It seems you need someone who would babysit your children, don't you?

Well, yes. That is actually true. You see, I have a very important appointment where I most surely can't take any children along... You aren't asking because you know someone appropriate, by any chance?

I am a stranger, but seeing you in such a need, maybe I could take care of your children?

You would? I... I mean, it wouldn't take longer than half an hour... They are really lovely, only a bit... well, they keep you busy. Oh, I think I would love to accept your offer. You seem like such a decent person... I've heard a lot of good about you lately. Tell me when you are ready, and I will leave the kids in your care. It won't take longer than half an hour, I promise. Just be prepared... well, you won't have much time to do anything else during that time.

I will be ready right away. Sarah, Tom, would you stay with me for a moment while your mommy is away?

You have no idea how much your kindness is helping me. Ah, before I forget: here is Tom's bottle, and his toy. Just give it to him if he feels sad. Here is Sarah's bottle, and her doll. Here is her coat. She refused to wear it. *sigh* Maybe you can talk some sense into her. Ah, and some sweets, usually I don't give them that much, but... well, it'll keep them busy, for a while at least. Children, you better behave yourselves! Mommy will be back soon. Bye, my darlings! Thank you so much indeed. I"ll expect you to stay in this area, just, you know, to be sure.

With that Mrs. Blackwood shoves a ton of stuff into my hands and walks off. I look through everything to find just what she said.

Sarah starts to wonder what's going on.

Mommy?

I want my doll.

Bear!

That meant he wants to have his bear.

Bear!

And I want my doll.

Here you go. A bear and a doll.

I don't like this city.

'eets.

Yes, for me too!

'eets.

Me too!

'eets.

You don't get all of them! Mommy said they're for both of us!

'eets!!

Are you talking about sweets?

Mommy said the sweets are for us both!

You want to have sweets? Here you go.

Mommy said the sweets are for us both!!

Don't worry, Sarah, it's all divided by two.

Tom had more than me!

You, see what Tom is doing with his sweets?

Eeek!

Gameplay note: You can't tell what Tom is doing unless you look at all the conversation options.

Yuck, well, I guess it doesn't hurt.

'ss.

I think there's going to be a bit of quiet, but then...

Just leave me alone with your stuff, all right?

Then there is quiet, for about 30 seconds.

I...

Mommy knitted the shoes herself. We bought the wool from Aunt Helena. Do you know Aunt Helena?

Aunt Helena isn't really my aunt. I don't like her. She has a funny nose.

Her nose looks like a red dragon's nose. Have you ever seen a red dragon?

Actually, I...

It's all red and... red. I don't like her nose. But the wool is nice. She gave me blue colored wool, as a gift. Mommy said she only did that so we'd come back again.

Do you know what Mommy knitted out of the blue wool?

Tell me.

Out of the blue wool, she made a little pillow. But Oskar ate it! Do you know Oskar?

I...

Oskar is the old, fat dog from the other house. Mommy said he thought it was a cookie.

No, Tom, you can't have one. We already *ate* all the sweets!

Yes, and now you should drink something. Here are your bottles.

Aw, no!

Now put on your coat, Sarah.

It's too warm!

No, it's not. Put on the coat, Sarah!

It's too warm!

It's too warm!

It's too warm!

Drink something. Here are your bottles.

Aw, no!

Let us just be quiet and wait!

I've just about had it with this girl.

Then I would suggest you drink something. Here is your bottle. Tom, take yours, too.

I don't like this! I want juice!

Juice! Would you buy me juice?

Too!

I asked first!

Sorry, but it will be your bottles for today. No juice.

But I want juice!

No, Sarah, there is no juice.

Where did Mommy go?

I am sure she will be back soon. It can't take much longer.

Mommy! Where is mommy?

Tom, your bottle!

Mommy!

Tom! Watch how you are holding your bottle! It's dripping!

Will you buy me juice?

Children... be quiet.

And finally, they are. I breathe a sigh of relief.

What do you want to see?

What is this?

That is a...

What do you use that for?

That is used to...

What is that shiny thing there?

Child, be quiet!

It is the only way.

Oh for the love of...

I hope you accomplished what you had in mind.

Well, yes, in a way... See, I don't have any money. I had to go and talk to their dad... in private. He will pay for our transfer to my family in Amn, and that's all. Bastard! Oops, I am sorry. Children, that is a bad word, don't you ever use it!

Well, I guess we have to go now. It might be hard to understand why I can't take them along to their dad... Thank you again so much for your help! I'll tell everyone of your kind generosity.

We do good! 'Tis as my clan was, long ago.

Maybe being on the run from a nameless evil that hunts you at every turn isn't so bad after all. The alternative could be... children!

Later on I find myself in the graveyard in front of the Temple of Helm. I read some of the gravestones.

Gameplay note: These gravestones are supposed to have been inside jokes about developers of the Baldur's Gate game.

When reading the gravestones on the east side of the walkway, however, I awaken someone!

Gameplay note: This mage has three high-level spells that he's developed that we can learn some day. One of them is extremely potent. Remember his name, and some day you will be able to know how he was able to cast Summon Phoenix Guards and then immediately cast Dimension Door after.

I'm not really intimidated by other mages anymore. Not after Ulcaster. And this bastard just threatened me! I call forth all of my protective magics - Mirror Image, Gymlianic's Lightbend, Fire Shield Red, and Minor Globe of Invulnerability, just like it's supposed to be done.

Then I touch his tombstone again.

He comes back and teleports in a ton of bad guys. Wow!

But I have my own horde to counter his! HA!

I retreat while my bunnies are keeping them busy, and then drop a spellbomb on them. I ask the Weave what I should cast, and it answers. Chaos.

So much for thinking of Nashkel as a place where people aren't trying to kill me. I retreat to where I had carefully hidden the rest of my party. It is time for the real ambush!

Kivan starts out by giving us encouragement.

But then it all goes to hell. The first Phoenix Guard explodes when he dies, engulfing us all in flames.

The Phoenix Guard are like a more powerful version of my own bunnies! Crap! I call for a general retreat to heal. We are followed by only one Phoenix Guard, as the others have all fallen in to fighting with themselves in the Chaos.

But one Phoenix Guard is scary enough. Imoen hits him with some magic missiles, and he dies... but then he doesn't. He seems back to normal. And another one shows up too. I am the protected one - I have to lead them away from my allies.

Since I am a little more immune to fire than the rest of the party, I try to lead them around while they shoot from a safe distance.

I am hit, and I think they knocked my magic right off me too!

But I drink a healing potion and I'm alright, for now. I run west, and one phoenix guard explodes and dies harmlessly.

The other one chasing me dies, but too close to us!

We manage to get away before the fireball goes off.

We still hear the sounds of fighting from the south.

I send Kivan to investigate, since he is invisible. He finds a pile of dead rabbit corpses and a single Phoenix Guard, alone and injured.

He strikes.

The shot strikes true! The Phoenix guard dies! But then he is resurrected in a gout of flame and comes for Kivan.

Kivan strikes him a second time, but by then he is too close.

The ranger runs back our way, until he thinks he is far enough away for another shot. He gets the shot, but also gets the aftermath.

We all wince as we see it. Then, with no other options, we advance in a firing line, hoping to find no stragglers. But we do find stragglers.

We retreat before him, throwing bullets and shooting arrows, until it looks as though he is about to die.

Then we try to kill him quick, and he dies. Too close to us!!

But he just resurrects again. Whew. I was worried it would be a fireball. All three clerics begin to cast the same spell at the same time, then. It is Hold Person. One of them sticks!

Then we reposition ourselves, and I throw a few of my blade showers at him. He falls, and the fireball explodes harmlessly.

But we are not finished! Another phoenix guard is near the water tower.

He is also at the first stage, as we find out when I throw more chaos blades at him.

He is quickly beaten down and looks Near Death, so I scream for a retreat.

The little bastard applies an oil of speed as he runs after us. Then I cast my spell.

His death-splosion catches Yeslick and myself. It hurts, but we are still alive.

We heal up and go to see if there are others still hanging around.

We can't find any more. So we go back to Kivan's corpse and recover his items.

And then it is to the Temple of Helm to resurrect our fallen ranger.

After that, we have nothing to do but go back to the Jovial Juggler. It is a long trek down dusty roads, once again.

Going down the road, we hear someone shouting for help.

Meat, shut up!

Moma, let's kill meat now! And these ones, too... *points in your direction*

Why, it is a great consolation that I will not die alone, but in the company of these oafs. I guess I will be served as a side-dish, now. What a relief! It's not that Jansens never ended up in the stomachs of various monsters, but they were all main courses... Aunt Marta will be tremendously proud of me, once she learns of this. You will carry a message to her, won't you? Oh! How silly of me! If you will be the *main* course, you won't be able to deliver a message. Oh, I know! Let me go, dear ogre-ladies, and I shall tell Aunt Marta all about how I nearly made it as a side-dish. Bet she'd still be proud. Aunt Marta is the sort of woman who'd be proud of anything.

It reminds me of when Cousin Jan had just started smuggling monkeys and- *pauses to take in a breath*

SHUT UP!

SHUT UP!

Please, do continue. This story is fascinating!

So, Jan Jansen had only smuggled his first party of monkeys from Chult to Athkatla, and Aunty Marta decided to hold a monkey-themed party because she was so proud of Jan. But one cannot hold a monkey-themed party without a monkey, right? So she let herself into the secret place where Jan kept the monkeys, and put them in the cart to drive to Jan's home. Unfortunately, the guards happened along, and so Jan made it into prison for the very first time. Aunty Marta was very proud of it, too. Not every day your nephew is sent to prison for monkey-smuggling!

They say it was then, in prison, that my dear cousin Jan invented his Bruiser Mates; thinking of Aunt Marta, no doubt. And - Wheeeee!

Fast food is no good for ye anyway, Cru. These ones are bigger and less fatty. Chop-chop-chop!

Then David runs away and leaves us to kill the ogres.

It's not that hard.

David is nowhere to be found. A pity. I wanted to hear more of his cousin Jan. But the encounter does remind me that traveling roads at night is dangerous, so we teleport to the Refuge and sleep until morning.

Sure enough, when we walk the road the next morning, we are ambushed by bandits!

We fight them with sling and bow, and they die embarrassingly quickly.

The next pack of bad guys we find is much more intimidating.

Kobolds and stone golems and humans, working together? Must be Iron Throne. I decide to whisper to them the Word of Vile Discord.

It delays them, but enough of them keep their wits about them to quickly swarm us.

I try to control the situation with Sleep.

Then we move back once again so only the non-sleepers will follow us. Turns out to be some Teldorn Messengers and a Stone Golem.

The stone golem goes after Finch. She tries to retreat, but is badly hurt.

Gavin takes it out.

Slaughtering the other sleepers is not hard.

I realize that there are some ways that I can cast my spells to more streamline their energies. I ponder this.

Gameplay note: Woot! Level 8! I'm gettin' to be pretty powerful now! And due to the ring I'm wearing, one extra spell at levelup translates into two extra spells in the spellbook.

I think I may know what I've been missing in Rhialto's Spellbook.

Study the spellbook for a while, and see if you can learn something new.

You spend some time, browsing through the book...

You found something of interest.

Try to learn the spell "Glyph of Wild Magic".

You succeed in learning the spell.

Oh yeah, baby.

Gameplay note: This is the spell that Rhialto used against me to such dramatic effect back at level 1. All hell breaks loose, and it is glorious.

The Weave will be able to work its will directly on the world, and all I have to do is inscribe a glyph onto the ground. I really cannot wait to try this out.

Then we go check out what the attackers have on them. We find standard kobold equipment, but we also find a scroll of Simbul's Spell Trigger, a book on the History of Amn, and also a letter.

Gameplay note: This is the other part to the four-Project-Images plan that Firebead talked with us about so long ago. Now if we could just get to the place where we can cast level 8 spells...

And then I take a look at the letter.

A fair in Nashkel? It seems as though this Cearwin wanted this letter delivered but Teldorn forces intercepted it. I wonder if he could use some help? I think about it for a second, and then decide to help him. After all, he would have probably done the same for us.

Another kobold ambush just north of the Nashkel carnival is surprising.

I manage to get off another perfect Sleep spell!

I look closely during the battle. I'm pretty sure that Gavin is freezing and then shattering kobolds! He never told me his mace could do that.

There's always one kobold scribe in these strike groups, and they always have one really good spell scroll on them, seems like. This one has Sphere of Chaos.

Another spell too high for Firebead to copy down, so I just write it down in my own spellbook. Then I loot the rest of the random kobold equipment. Just as I finish...

Your shirt... it's pink!

Pink is beloved by Lathander, I will have you know.

Really?

Absolutely. It is the color of the dawn sky. I also happen to like it.

Besides, I thought you liked the color. Is there something wrong with a pink shirt?

Of course not, but how come I never see you wearing it, then?

The shirt goes under the tunic and gambeson, Imoen. You wouldn't see it, ordinarily. I only pulled it out to see if I ripped it when I slipped yesterday.

So how come you don't wear pink on the outside, where it would show?

I don't have that much clothing. Maybe next time I need a new tunic, I'll let you pick it out, all right?

Oooh, good!

I'm probably going to regret that.

We go to the carnival and look around. We sell the kobold equipment that we picked up, and then look around for a bard. Sure enough, he happens to be the guy in the center looking for the most attention.

Sure go ahead and play!

Instead of spouting off some insufferable poetry, the bard actually plays a real tune.

Gameplay note: The conversation ends and the below music plays. I kinda get the feeling that it's an original composition by the mod author. Maybe?

An excellent tune, very melodic. You have a great talent. I'd be pleased to hear more of your work.

I'm glad you liked it. If you wish to hear more than I'll be performing all around the fair. I charge for my performance so be sure to bring a little gold coin with you. Is there anything else I can do for you?

I'm looking for the bard Cearwin. Are you him by any chance?

I am known by that name. Why do you ask?

Whilst traveling here I was besieged by a group of brigands who had just killed a halfling. After narrowly escaping with my life I retrieved a letter from one of them and a symbol I know to be that carried by worshipers of the Black Lord. Your signature is on the letter.

This is bad news. I am glad you survived the attack, but the letter you found was meant to have reached Baldur's Gate over a week ago. Tell me, did you find any Talismans on the bodies?

There were no Talismans, just a few gems, nothing of real value.

Most unfortunate. It seems Beshaba has graced me today. I'll have to seek another messenger to deliver the letter. You seem to be of the adventuring type. Would you be interested in such a journey?

Why don't you deliver the message yourself if it's that important.

Gameplay note: I have always, always wanted to ask this question to quest-givers in games.

The road to Baldur's Gate has become treacherous. I dare not travel alone. Besides, I cannot leave this area if Bane's servants are abroad. They must be found and destroyed.

I suppose I could go to Baldur's Gate, but what about the stone you mentioned in your letter?

I am forbidden to talk about the stone. Zhentarim spies are everywhere and the fair is not the place for such a conversation. There is a man in Baldur's Gate called Aranor. He will tell you more about the stone. Accept and I will give you 125gp for your trouble.

I accept your offer. Where in Baldur's Gate can I find the man you call Aranor?

Excellent! Look for Aranor in the Taverns. The Blushing Mermaid is his favorite so start searching there. Whilst you are gone I will try to discover what happened to the Talismans. Be safe on your journey and may Tymora's luck go with you.

I know how dangerous the road can be, so I am careful on the way back. It takes us 12 hours to get to Beregost, but we arrive safely.

It is here that I say goodbye to Kivan again. I apologize for getting him killed yet again. All that follows me is death.

Gameplay note: The original plan was to lose Finch first, and then Kivan, but Kivan died. So I am letting him go and picking up the first of the DSotSC characters in his place instead of Finch's place. I also have Gavin, which was also not part of the plan, but necessary to finish his quest. Since he is most unpopular he will leave the group next. So the order is now Gavin, Finch, Yeslick, and Imoen disappearing to make way for new party members.

I look around at everyone talking, eating, drinking, and laughing at the Jovial Juggler. I simply can't bring myself to ask any of them to come with me. They have all done too much, and I will only give them death in return. Better to not talk to them. Better to just leave. I turn and exit the inn, and we make our way towards Baldur's Gate, via the Friendly Arm Inn.

When we get there, we begin to walk to the massive gatehouse of the Friendly Arm Inn, when we see a beautiful bright-haired maiden standing by the road. I must speak to her, so I do.

Well met, my name is Syvishtara and these are my traveling companions. Can you tell us more about your need?

Well, ye see... I'm lookin' fer my sister who's been missing now fer near half a year, an' I mean tae find her. I fear for what might have happen'd tae her. Ye see she went mad after her lover left her for another lass. She was in a frightful state and ran deep into the forest between here and Cormanthor tae the east. I've tracked her tae a forested area tae the east of Peldvale. I would be ever so grateful fer any assistance you could give me.

It sounds to be an honorable quest, and we would be glad to help you in your time of need.

Very well then, our destination lies tae the east. My uncle is waiting at the Jovial Juggler in Beregost. Once we find my sister, Ferium, we should go to him there.

Gameplay note: And thus begins the Dark Side of the Sword Coast. dun Dun DUNNNNNNH!

Ok, Jet'laya is with us now, and she is a pretty strong cleric. What kind of cleric? Let's take a look.

Level 7! And, oh hey, she is a Morninglord of Lathander, just like Gavin. That's good, I guess. But she doesn't have to be. If we change her alignment from Chaotic Good to Lawful Good, she could become a Healer. But she is from Cormanthor, which is a former elven empire and basically a gigantic forest. She wouldn't have to change alignments to become a Silverstar of Selune, wielding the Moon's Mace, and protected by a magically-resistant Moon Shield. Then again, she's already wearing blue robes, which are the favored garments of Feywardens of Corellon, so she might be favoring the elven aspect of her heritage. She's also quite the hottie, so I don't think Sune would object to her being a Heartwarder of Sune, making her a hedonist and aesthete. Or we could just keep her as a Morninglord of Lathander and have two.

What class should Jet'laya be?

A. Healer - Just look at the compassion on her face. She's only interested in our well-being. She's not into fighting.
B. Silverstar of Selune - She is in touch with the moon, and wields the weapons of the moon. She is also the philosophical and spiritual polar opposite of Viconia.
C. Feywarden of Corellon - She wears blue, she's favoring her elven heritage, and she loathes the undead. She's definitely a Feywarden.
D. Heartwarder of Sune - Blondes have more fun, and Jet'laya has more than her share as a Heartwarder of Sune. The little accent just means she's got extra skills.
E. Morninglord of Lathander - There's nothing wrong with having two Morninglords of Lathander, and Gavin will almost certainly enjoy having the company. She should stay as she is.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 23, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

F: Mary Sue, or if not that D I guess. I always like how you can tell a mod character from the fact that their lowest stat is at least 10. No negatives on these precious children.

Also nice work with Daer'rear end in a top hat. I can't remember how many times I've tried to kill him and failed because of his goddamned pheonix guard.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
I'm gonna say C. She'll be the elfiest elf that ever elfed.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Voting E: Leave her as Morninglady of Lathander because it would be pretty awkward if we switched her to another deity and then she started spouting about Lathander this and Lathander that. We're already going to hate her for her nearly 15 average ability score (:lol:), let's not add potential incongruencies on top.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Ventnor posted:

I'm gonna say C. She'll be the elfiest elf that ever elfed.

She's a half-elf, though.

But sheesh. Can't seem to go an update without Jergal adding another death to the tally.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I'm gonna vote D. One of my favorite characters ever was a Heartwarder.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

NihilCredo posted:

Voting E: Leave her as Morninglady of Lathander because it would be pretty awkward if we switched her to another deity and then she started spouting about Lathander this and Lathander that. We're already going to hate her for her nearly 15 average ability score (:lol:), let's not add potential incongruencies on top.

A. It lowers her overpowered stats and she can still worship Lathander, right?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Kanfy posted:

Nobody's going see Baldur's Gate at this rate if you keep getting yourself probated. :colbert:

Yeah... I really need to stay away from the other forums.

Brainamp posted:

It's funny and I have a feeling that future generations of goons will appreciate the effort you put into it.

And most importantly, the list will become plot-relevant. Quite soon even.

Cythereal posted:

If Vorgen doesn't mind, I Kelemvor and Jergal may have awards to hand out based on the Roll of the Dead at the end of BG1, BG2, ToB, and the series as a whole.

Sure, that sounds like fun!

Brainamp posted:

I think tht ruffest part of this game will be the final confrontation. I'm scared to think about how many people will be added to that list again, let alone being gibbed because I bet Sarevok is now a hell of a final boss.

At least one person is going to be quite pleased with the slaughter...

Sejs Cube posted:

That's why becoming immortal, or an actual god, is the only way to win the Forgotten Realms. I wonder if there are any in-game resources for Syvishtara to realize that somewhere? In Planescape: Torment, the afterlife is explicitly laid out in a lecture that you can actually attend, but there's nothing like that in the Baldur's Gate series.

oystertoadfish posted:

With all the mods, it becomes explicitly clear that it does exist in the same universe. We will actually get to meet the Nameless One in one of his lost incarnations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vorgen posted:

At least one person is going to be quite pleased with the slaughter...

: "You called?"

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
First, voting for D because it fits and variety is fun.

Question: What happened to that mage after you killed all his Phoenix Guards?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

He summoned the phoenix guards and then immediately teleported away. He cast Dimension Door faster than should be possible and was gone before the end of the round.

loco88
Oct 24, 2005

A

Loving the updates (seriously, stop with the probations) especially with the books, and the FR discussion is really interesting too, definitely kills the time between posts.

Does David Jansen ever pop up again? Likewise the mage that bolted with the Phoenix Guards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longgonejohn
Oct 30, 2010
C!

• Locked thread