Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Don't worry, "Target's Gender Changed" is 85 on the chart, so we'll have that possibility all the way until level 61 :D. And it will become more frequent over time too, now that I think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm glad that "all the party's gold is destroyed" is a sub-20 roll. We'll be able to do away with that one permanently before ToB.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Yeah, maybe Syv shouldn't try summoning demons again in the near future. I get the feeling it might end badly for everyone involved.

Vorgen posted:

Don't worry, "Target's Gender Changed" is 85 on the chart, so we'll have that possibility all the way until level 61 :D. And it will become more frequent over time too, now that I think of it.

What might be funny is if Syv swaps back and forth between genders in the same fight.

Not likely, but unlikelier things have happened.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I'm glad that "all the party's gold is destroyed" is a sub-20 roll. We'll be able to do away with that one permanently before ToB.

Along with any need for gold, save for resurrections, somewhere about 1/6th of the way through SoA.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Koskinator posted:

No, that is not how you do the maths!

When a wild surge happens, a 1-100 roll is made on a table to determine what kind of wild surge it is. As you said, there is a 1% chance (rolling a perfect 100) that the spell is cast normally.

The bonuses from level and Chaos Shield are added to your roll total. If the result is over 100, it's treated as 100. With a +23 bonus, any roll of 77 or higher would equal or beat 100 and make the spell cast normally. So your chance to cast normally was (1% base chance + 23% bonus) = 24%. Or in other words, a 76/100 chance to surge and 24/100 chance to succeed.

Actually, the chance to succeed is even better than this, because many of the surge results also result in the original spell firing, though possibly with slightly altered characteristics (like "Duration is halved" or my favorite "Spell has 60 ft radius at target"). Leaving aside the "Roll 4 times" and "Roll 2 times" results, which also somewhat increase the chances of a successful cast, there are nine other results on the table that cast the original spell at the original target, giving you a 33% chance to succeed at your current level.

If you want to really tip the odds in your favor, put two Chaos Shields in a Minor Sequencer--they will now stack when it fires, giving you a 48% chance of success.

The other thing about Nahal's is that since it has casting time 0 and does not cloud your aura, you can cast it as many times as you have Level 1 slots in a single round. Potentially you can cast infinite spells this way if one of the spells you are casting via Nahal's is Limited Wish (or Wish).

quote:

Don't worry, "Target's Gender Changed" is 85 on the chart, so we'll have that possibility all the way until level 61 . And it will become more frequent over time too, now that I think of it.

Unfortunately, the laws of probability do not agree. Particular outcomes become impossible because they are numerically below 1+level, the likelihood of "Spell casts normally" increases with level bonus, and all other outcomes remain equally likely to occur regardless of level bonus.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Bah. The Weave weaves as the Weave wills.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Bah. The Weave weaves as the Weave wills.

But how will you romance EVERYONE now ?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tzarnal posted:

Repeatedly yanking on her braid, smoothing her skirts, and brow beating EVERYONE into loving them.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Tzarnal posted:

The answer to that, my friend, would be spoiling the Plan (tm).

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 24, 2012

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You can probably romance just about everything with the magic of Shadowkeeper, assuming you don't need to continue meeting the prerequisites after the romance has started. Obviously that would be cheating so it won't fly here.

Shame in your version you didn't get Lord Foreshadow's Ring of Human Influence which is the exact same one as in II. The Coran romance is clearly a labour of love.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I can get some other Charisma-boosting items, like some boots. I'll see if I can get Corn's eye sooner or later. But for now, an update.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

10 Ches, 1370

When we arrive at our next point on the journey, I teleport us all to the Armory and we get ready to bed down. Even though there is no crackling fire here, we all do want to hear Finch read another story. This time it is the History of Amn.

History of Amn posted:

...from father to son tend to support the theory that Amn has been a trade center for at least 800 years. Unfortunately, written records are difficult to find and often incomplete. It would seem the typical Amnish citizen was too busy trying to fill their coffers to write down events of the day.

Amn has always been more interested in the present and the future than the past, and this makes an accurate history difficult. The best records, the business papers of the oldest trading companies, are jealously guarded. The fear of revealing "trade secrets" is stronger than the call of history, so the average citizen knows very little about Amn's past.

It appears that the Amn of 100 years ago was very much like the Calimshan of today. Each major city was basically an independent entity, banding together for defense when necessary, and fighting for control of territory and profitable trade routes the rest of the time. A particularly brutal trade war began 24 years ago, with each city exacting prohibitive tariffs on goods imported from the others. The trade war escalated, and city troops began to raid caravans sponsored by other cities. In a matter of months commerce was brought to a halt, a number of cities were under siege, and war threatened to engulf the entire region.

Into the breach stepped a young merchant named Thayze Selemchant. Thayze was smart, charismatic, and very well connected (the Selemchant trading house was one of the oldest and richest in Athkatla.) He secretly contacted representatives of the five other richest merchant houses in Amn, and started to plan.

The first part of the plan involved the careful sprinkling of rumors about outside threats. One involved a pirate invasion from the Nelanther, another was about a massing of orcs just on the other side of the Cloud Peaks. Thayze even started a rumor about an elf army in the Forest of Tethir, ready to pounce on a divided Amn. None of the rumors were true, but they began to turn people's thoughts toward unity, not war.

Thayze knew that if he and the other members of his council were to take control of Amn, they would need broad-based popular support. Tensions between cities and merchant houses were still high, so to get that support, Selemchant and the others agreed to drop their family names and never use them again.

When news of a "Council of Six" spread throughout the land, many people accepted their rule. A group that would unite Amn under one rule, governing for the benefit of all instead of one city or trading company over another, was indeed a welcome change. The Council raised an army (at great personal expense) to quell the few pockets of resistance that remained, and have been in total control of Amn for the past 22 years.
When she is done, I think I have a better understanding of those rumors flying between Amn and Baldur's Gate, about how each side wants to take over the other, and blaming each side for the iron crisis. I'm sure both powers in Amn and Baldur's Gate help spread these rumors, to help spread the fear behind them, and keep people unified. The Iron Throne understands this, and makes both nations work for them. Sinister!

Then we sleep, and wake, as always. Jet'laya is able to restore Gavin with her own divine power! She is surely a powerful cleric.

Then we teleport back to no-mans-land and prepare to take on the day. When we do, one of those phantoms from the eternal war approaches us and actually speaks to us!

Help you? How?

Releassse Ussss!

I don't understand. I don't control you... you are just a phantom, a mere apparition.

Noooo... Releasssse usss, from hissss hold!

Who?

The Dark One...

Who is the Dark One?

The Dark One is he who hasss trapped my party here for mooorrrree years than I know... uhhhhhhh... Pleasssse you musst hellllp!

Can you please be more specific? I don't understand... Where can we find him?

He is near... He is always near... He takes great pleasure in watching usss... the friends he betrayed... fight amongst ourselvesss for all eternity...

Can you be a bit less cryptic? Where is this "Dark One?"

Look to the west... you will find him there... aahhhhh!

What must we do to get him to release you and your companions?

He has trapped our souls in six magically sealed vials. You musssst deestroy him and bring us the vials... then and only then will we be free to die...

Six vials huh? I have a feeling this is not going to be easy...

So, look to the west. To the west is the creepy old shack!

We start heading over there. We notice that the phantom is following us. This does not make me feel better about the situation.

As we near the cabin, we cast our preparatory spells.

We don't find anything right away, but when we head lakeside, we find him.

Gameplay note: This guy has distorted voice acting. It sounds pretty cool.

We have come to force you to release your hold on that group of adventurers to the east of here.

Ha, ha, ha... Fools, you shall force nothing... wait! Ah, but of course... you are the pathetic mortals who just destroyed the latest addition to my pets... she came to me lost, and I gave her eternity... and now you have taken that from her. Now I shall add you to my collection to take her place! You have no idea of the fate you face!

You... you were the one who did that to Ferium? Then we have no choice but to destroy you as well.

It is you who will be destroyed... I am your worst nightmare!

He may be right... a thing that can create banshees is pretty much my worst nightmare. He had better be undead because we are about to open up a can of undeath whoop-rear end on him. Gavin rushes in, while the rest of us stand back. But he is repulsed by a wave of fear.

Jet'laya rushes in next and engages the Dark One. He summons skeletons to protect him.

Yeslick calls down a Holy Smite and does some damage.

The Dark One calls down a Flamestrike on Jet'laya and follows it up with Larloch's Minor Drain. She is almost dead.

Thankfully I manage to summon an Invisible Stalker via scroll for the Dark One to pick on while Jet'laya goes off to heal herself.

She downs a healing potion, but then fear grips her. She is lost to us.

My invisible stalker gets distracted from the Dark One and begins assassinating skeletons. I try to put it back on the right path.

I cast Dispel Magic at the Dark One, and I think it did something, because next Imoen scores an excellent hit on the Dark One with her magical arrows.

I see my chance, and try to cast Blade Shower at him, but he teleports away from us. Curses!

We know where he goes, because he throws another spell at us from his new location. But he also casts a lot of Spell Traps. I both admire his strategy and worry about how to get through it.

We destroy the skeletons left near us, and then take a breather.

As we wait for Gavin and Jet'laya to stop being frightened, I use another scroll to summon some cannon fodder.

I send in the advance troops, and laugh as the Dark One gets hit with one of his own Skull Traps.

Then we advance. We come across the Dark One trying his best to destroy my Invisible Stalker. Hehe. Divine Hammers, Minute Meteors, and arrows go flying.

But it is the Invisible Stalker who gets the final blow. I love that guy! Wow, that was pretty easy!

The phantom cuts our celebrations short with a few hisses.

What evil is this? Why does he not die?

The only way to destroy him is to find his phylactery and gain possession of it.

His phy... phyl... what?

It issss a vessel that contains his life force. He placed it there himself. It is how Koroval Na'Krugen, once an adventuring mage and companion of ours... he participated in a nefarious ritual and became a lich... thusss becoming the "Dark One." As long as his phylactery remains safely hidden, he cannot be destroyed.

Why didn't you tell us this detail before? Where does he keep this... uh... vessel?

You did not ask before. It is kept inside that abandoned cabin. The cabin has protective magic placed upon it that prevents us from entering, but you should be able to enter and gain possession of the phylactery.

I was afraid you were going to say that.

I knew the phantom was doing the accent on purpose. And a lich. Great. Why do I have to get mixed up with a lich? And if he's a lich, does that mean he has resurrected himself alrea...

Yes, yes he has. Crap! I lead my team of people around back the other way. I hope to surround the Dark One and attack from two directions. But while we are going behind the cabin we see in the sky a rain of fire. He has called down a Fire Storm!

He killed Stalky! Noooooooooo! We advance far enough to see ground zero for the Fire Storm. We also hear the bellows of skeleton warriors and the cries of frightened hobgoblins. I can empathize with them a little more now that I summoned them than back when I was killing them.

I'm just going to sit here and wait out the Fire Storm. Then we can try to find some way into the cabin. I hear the telltale sounds of a Dimension Door being cast.

And the other telltale sound of the Dark One stepping on yet another of his own Skull Traps. Hah!

When we get to the cabin door, there is nothing guarding it. Excellent.

We go inside. Of course, inside is full of evil.

The spiders all attack Jet'laya. I don't know why. She has to down a healing potion right away. I hit one with a lightning bolt.

Since everyone still has their divine hammers, melee combat is very hard. Everybody keeps getting hit and poisoned.

We use up all of our healing elixirs and almost all of our antidotes. Yeslick calls down a Holy Smite to try to take these spiders out.

Jet'laya barely saves Gavin from certain death as he pops an antidote.

Finally there is only one astral phase spider to gang up on, and the combat goes our way.

And Yeslick has the final word.

Finch has memorized the spell Find Traps, so she casts it here.

There don't seem to be any, but both chests are locked. Imoen casts Knock on both of them, and then I open the first one. There is no phylactery, but there is the jawbone of an rear end.

If only we knew someone who used clubs. The other chest holds the goods. First, we find the Phylactery of Koroval Na'Krugen.

Ah ha! That evil thing is ours now!

Gameplay note: The Phylactery has a Drink Potion button on it.

Purely for research reasons, I saved the game to see what drinking someone else's phylactery does to you. Sorry to report that it does nothing. It doesn't disappear and doesn't create any effects. I chugged that sucker 10 times at least and nothing. It must be filled with the purest spring water.

We also find spell scrolls of Geas, Insanity, and Magic Missile.

Gameplay note: It seems like an even higher-level Domination. "The targets include all known creatures upon the land." I wonder if the modder meant to exclude sahuagin, drow, svirfneblin, avariel, etc., or if he just words things poorly.

Gameplay note: PERMANENT confusion effect. drat. Only a 50% chance to work but imagine if it does! Imagine some great mage, his mind permanently destroyed, ceasing to be a threat to our party. A great spell indeed.

We also find a few potions and a magical cutlass.

Gameplay note: This cutlass is a scimitar. d3 damage? 8-18 damage at any rate. Not a bad scimitar.

But what is most interesting is that we find a Bronze Bag of Holding, and it is not empty!

In it are some gems, rings, and other treasure; some Bullets +2; a Sling +1; and two spell scrolls. The scrolls are Wizard Eye and Sphere of Dissipation.

Gameplay note: I'm not sure why we don't have this in our spellbook yet. It is a great way to direct summoned creatures in combat. Just don't cast it near basilisks.

Gameplay note: This sounds like it is going to save my rear end more than once. The spell description is quite vague, though. We will have to look into it more when we have the ability to cast level 7 spells.

I copy Sphere of Dissipation into my spellbook and pack away Wizard Eye for Firebead. Then we turn to the door. We have to kill this guy one more time. I hesitate to go outside, but I know we have to.

We call upon our remaining magic to enhance us.

I know we could really use some more throwaway minions to take the hits from the Dark One, so I ask the Weave for some.

I get berries instead. I try again.

It's fine. I meant to do that. I was going to walk them up there.

I try to call more. This time I think the Weave catches on to what I'm doing, and helps me out!

I send them up too. The Dark One, though, seems to realize what we're doing. He sends down his own skeleton warrior, and tries to outright slay us with a spell.

Jet'laya brushes the spell off. 'Atta girl! I get my army to take out the small distraction first, the skeleton warrior. The Weave seems to smile on me further today.

We are all of us healed!

The skeleton warrior takes out two of my gnoll elites before it goes down. But with Gavin's help they destroy the skeleton warrior. Now they are free to distract the Dark One properly.

He falls for the trap.

The Dark One falls back to his oldest trick - fear.

But I dispel it.

I also dispel whatever was making the Dark One untargetable, because he becomes vulnerable to our spells. We all cast something.

Finch casts a Holy Smite, and it does more damage to my gnolls than to the Dark One.

I try for one of my old tricks - Corporeal Instability.

He goes for Horror again, scaring my gnolls.

But he looks pretty bad. I cast one more spell, and throw my Chaos Blades at him. He explodes in a fiery conflagration.

Gameplay note: we got 10750 xp for defeating the Dark One. Sweet!

Finch is out chasing down Gavin, and as she heals him from some of his injuries, he stops being frightened.

I call them both back to the main group, but advise them to avoid the skull trap remaining. I try to loot the body of the Dark One, but all I find are Fire Seeds.

I still have a couple gnolls left, so I send one to disarm the final skull trap.

Then, with nothing left to do or loot, I decide to get the hells out of this godsforsaken forest of the dead. Time to meet Jet'laya's uncle back at the Jovial Juggler.

We arrive without incident.

I must say, I approve of this man's choice of accommodation. We go inside and find him having a drink with Bub Snikt.

Yeah we found her alright. But she had become a freakin' banshee... so we had to kill her!

You... ah... she, I see... and I see you have returned with her amulet... I... well, I suppose you had to do what was necessary... Here, take this letter to Otho, a dwarven master weaponsmith in the Thunderhammer smithy. He is a very good friend of mine and he will make a weapon for you that will have very great importance in the near future. I need to leave now, good bye!

I guess he didn't take that so well. But dude's gotta know we killed that banshee and it was hard! The letter he gives us is nice enough.

We head on over to talk to this Otho.

Actually, I believe we are here to see you. I was told to bring this letter to Otho Truehammer, the master smithy. That's you isn't it?

Why, yes it is. Let me take a look at that letter if ya please... Oh yes, it's from my good friend Lennan. He told me that a group of adventurers would be stopping by to see me. I owe my elven friend a favor, so I agreed to make this weapon for you. I don't really know the reason behind it, but Lennan was very specific that it was to be a finely balanced mace crafted from the finest iron that I could find. Sometimes Lennan knows about things that will happen, before they happen... if ye understand my meaning. Heh... elves, Lennan is a good friend but sometimes I don't understand all that hocus pocus... gives me the hebeejebeez... no sir, I'd take a well crafted hammer or mace over magic any day... But enough of that, ye didn't come here to listen to me go on all day. I'll get started on yer weapon right away. It should be ready in five days time. I'll have it fer ye then.

Well let's see. Today is 12 Ches, so we should go check back with this guy on 17 Ches. We walk out of the smithy and prepare to go relax at the Inn.

Yes, it is. How can I help you?

It's me, Dawn Priest Blane, from the Song of the Morning Temple. One of the Morninglords from the Temple wishes to speak with you. He's waiting for you at the Burning Wizard.

Why does he need to talk to me?

I don't really know, I just clean the floors at the Temple and run a small supply depot there.

Okay, I guess we will go see him.

We head to the Burning Wizard.

Inside, Morninglord Jarent of Lathander approaches us.

Yes, that we are. How may we help you?

I am Jarent, Morninglord of Lathander, and I seek your help in taking care of a problem. You see a young Forest Dragon has recently been on the move south of here. This dragon attacked several villages south of the Cloudpeak Mountains and began moving north. I raided one of our temples during one of these attacks. Among the temple valuables it carried away with it was a most holy relic. It is very important that this relic be returned and that is what I am asking of you. Will you help?

A dragon? A DRAGON?!

Noble as the cause may be, I must ask if there is some reward for this?

A true hero would ask no payment for his help. I am sure that the hoard of the dragon will provide you with more than enough.

True heroes eh? Bah, what would he know of them? Still, a dragon's hoard may contain a lot of spells...

You may be right. We will slay this dragon for you.

In the name of Lathander, I thank you! The dragon was last seen in the mountain area to the east of the Nashkel Mines and moving this way. I dare say that if it makes it to Nashkel or Beregost the circumstances would be devastating. It must be stopped. As I said, it's a young dragon, but dangerous none the less. I will be here when you return.

A DRAGON?!

We slowly make our way outside, pondering how we will ever be able to slay a dragon. I almost bump into Lord Norby Boozluck.

Near Nashkel, or in Nashkel? I suppose I'll have to check it out. First stop Nashkel, and then go east. But you know what? If there's one guy I need with me when fighting dragons, it is Bjornin the Dragon Slayer! And seeing as how Gavin has been through so much lately, and still has much improvement to go in the skills department, we let him go.

Yes, Gavin, you should go.

I am sorry to leave you, but I must respect your judgment. Should our paths cross again one day, I would be happy to lend my hammer and my faith to your cause.

I do not want to part ways with your forever, Gavin, but our paths have to separate right now. Just wait here for me. I shall return when I need your help again.

Very well.

And then I walk across the room to the left side, where a small minority sits, talking quietly.

Back to the party, I need your help.

A paladin of few words, this Bjornin.

Gameplay note: When last we used him, Bjornin was several levels higher than the rest of the party. Now he fits right in as a normal member, and has even less xp than I do.

Bjornin has been studying how to kill dragons his whole life.

He knows exactly what he needs to do, and what he wants to wield is spears. We give him a choice selection in the Armory. He wields The Stunner Halberd +3, and also the Dragon Scepter Spear +3, just in case. He borrows a lot of items from Yeslick, including the Full Plate Mail +2, the Gauntlets of Power Attacks, the Helm of the Flame, the Cloak of Displacement, and the Boots of Health. He wears the Girdle of Defense too. His rings are the Unfailing Missile Deflector and the Ring of Energy, because nobody else is wearing it. Altogether he strikes a fearsome silhouette, and I am more than happy to have him in the party.

I'm tempted to wait the five days for this new totally awesome weapon Otho is supposedly making for us. But what if the dragon makes it to Nashkel or Beregost by then? I guess I can't really delay. So we set off for Nashkel right away.

We are attacked by wild dogs for some reason. We put them down.

When we get there, a child approaches us as we cross the bridge.

Yes I am, and what's your name?

None of your beeeezwax. I'm just wonderin' cause some guy inside the Nashkel Inn told me he would give me a gold piece if I would watch for you and tell you that he was waiting for you.

Why does he need to talk to me?

How should I know... What do I look like? I'm just a kid!

Well yeah, true. I guess there's no dragon here yet. There isn't nearly enough screaming and crying. We enter the Nashkel Inn to see who wants to talk to us. But if it's another mercenary I'm going to be real pissed at that kid.

How may we help you?

Well I was just getting to that. The mayor is very busy and he asked me to find you and ask of you a favor. I mean after everything you did with the mines and all, well you are a local hero around here. Yes sir, you took care of those mines good. Everyone around here is talking about you. Anyway, as I was saying, I need a favor from you. You see we have just heard that a... well... um... a dddddragon is headed this way, and well with everything you have done for us so far, we were hoping that you could help us this once more... I mean it's pretty scary, I've never seen a dragon and I don't really care to either. Will you help?

Noble as the cause may be, I must ask if there is some reward for this?

I seem to be repeating myself.

Well I was told to offer you 2,500gp... but the mayor doesn't watch the money like I do and the town is getting really low on funds. I mean, maybe you could just take what the dragon has as payment. Don't dragons have lots of treasure and such? I'm sure you'll find a king's ransom.

Again they're waving the dragon's hoard in my face. How long have I scrimped and saved, just barely made it by, killing countless bad guys and horrible monsters from beyond imagining, and I'M. STILL. BROKE. I just killed a lich, A LICH, and all I got to show for it was a few Fire Seeds. And some magic. But still. I wanna go shopping! It's in my blood.

No way... we will not risk our necks for nothing. You don't even know if the dragon has a hoard! Pay, or find others to do the job.

Alright, I suppose I'll have to pay the 2,500 gp. Just please hurry! It's moving this way!!

But we have just traveled a long way, so I decide that we should rest. I ask Finch if she's got anything in that bookbag of hers about dragons. She says she has the History of the Dragon Coast. We ask her to read it. Maybe there will be something in there to help us.

History of the Dragon Coast posted:

... pirate, the rogue, and the hired killer. It has been the place where those seeking to skirt the laws of more civilized nations to the north make landfall. It is here that the Red Wizards gain their access to the Western Heartlands, and where the Cult of the Dragon launches its plots to the south. And it is here that independent secret societies and assassin guilds have their greatest power.

The last semblance of organized resistance to this trend was the reign of Verovan, last of the kings of Westgate. The monarchy of Westgate had long worked closely with the various mercantile and pirate factions, but Verovan attempted to stem the growing power of the merchant houses and petty lords. His sudden and mysterious death without acceptable heirs in 1248 DR opened the door for much of what now is commonplace in the Dragon Coast - corruption and treachery.

It should be noted that while Verovan's name is still venerated in these lands, better known is Immurk, the greatest of the Inner Sea Pirates, a brash and flamboyant rogue who united a pirate fleet beneath him and ruled from 1164 DR to his death in 1201 DR. Such it is in the Dragon Coast, that good people are venerated, but the power of darker rogues is imitated.

That... that doesn't help at all. Finch just shrugs. Then she fidgets. She rummages around in her bookbag. She plays with her hair. I can tell she is nervous. Does she not want to slay a dragon? Hmmm...

Then a man approaches us from the back rooms of the Inn. He introduces himself.

No, but we have to do something and it would seem that there is no one else.

Then ye should join up with me. More than one dragon has felt the sting of my blade. I mean to take this one as well. Allow me to introduce myself, Conchobhair Strongblade at your service!

The offer is well met friend. We could use another, eh... strong blade in our group.

Then let us not tarry here further. That vile creature is just not going to wait for us. We must proceed at once to its lair.

I graciously accept. But how is this going to work out? I turn to ask my party if someone is willing to bow out for Conchobhair here, but before I even form the words on my lips Finch's hand shoots up. She says a dragon is too much for her and quite frankly she thinks she'll just be trampled underfoot fighting it. She isn't ashamed to admit that she'd like a bit of a vacation from adventuring at all. She says she needs to catch up on her writing anyway. I can only agree. I will miss the plucky little gnome, but this Strongblade here is a professional. We could use his expertise.

Our paths must run apart for a while. If I should need your help again, though, we should rendezvous at the Jovial Juggler in Beregost.

Certainly! I have several days worth of reading that I should be catching up with. I do look forward to when we can travel together again, though!

Then it is time to look at our newest companion, Conchobhair Strongblade.

Gameplay note: Dude is a paladin and comes loaded for bear.

He wears a normal platemail and a normal helmet, but his two-handed sword is built for dragonslaying.

He comes as a normal, vanilla paladin.

But he doesn't have to be, of course. He could be totally obsessed with his blade as a Holy Swordsman. He could be totally obsessed with TWO swords as a Saurial Paladin and just carrying that one around for show. He could just be obsessed with combat in general, and wanting to get some good practice in as a Militarist. Or, he could be a Mystic Fire sent by the Lady of Magic herself as her strong right arm to aid me against the dragon. Of course, he could be another Cavalier just like Ajantis was back in the day. Or he could have even been an old classmate of Bjornin's back in Dragonslayer school.

So what's it going to be?

A.
Holy Swordsman - Two-handed swords are awesome.
B. Saurial Paladin - Dual-wielding paladin? Sign me up!
C. Militarist - Battlefield virtuosos are so dreamy! Let's smite some infidels!
D. Mystic Fire - We are the Avatar of the Weave and deserve divine protection, and drat the spelling mistakes.
E. Cavalier - They are not all stuck-up pansyboys that quit after one arrow to the eye.
F. Dragonslayer - Syvishtara is of the opinion that two Dragonslayers are better than one; when slaying dragons especially.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

A, This man is obviously obsessed with his Giant Sword. Also seriously what is putting those spells scrolls there, some of those should even be rare in ToB.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
E. Cavalier. It seems like a good fit. He'll get bonuses to fighting dragons without being the same as Bjornin, too.

Edit: Or will the Cavalier's bonuses stack with his sword's bonuses? I only just now read the sword's description. If not, then I'll change to Holy Swordsman.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 24, 2012

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I suppose I'll offer my mechanical analysis of Jet'laya since she seems to be with us for good for this mod arc:

Jet'laya
Feywarden of Corellon Larethian
16 17 16 12 18 10

Comments: Aside from the fact that her portrait looks suspiciously like a photoshopped Barbie doll, Jet'laya is a pretty typical [bad] mod NPC: moderately ridiculous stat total that nevertheless shies away from being ridiculous in a really effective way, with at least one overpowered unique item. Her class is also on the overpowered side - it's much better at fighting and has better specials spells than actual PnP Feywardens, and I detest these faux-PnP cleric kits in general. All these goodies, and someone neglected to issue her a personality to go with it. Still effective, though.

Verdict: Great (but a bad character)

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

A. That sword is pretty drat cool, and although being a dragon slayer would be very useful in this instance it's very specialized.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A. Let him have fun with his sword of ogre decapitation +3.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

A, Yet another shining example of a mod's idea of a balanced character. He is Adonis made into Hercules' flesh or something.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
C, Cavalier. Immunity to fear is... helpful. Very helpful.

Its freakin' hilarious that you can cast Geas now. Casting that after a Greater Malison can lead to some fun, fun times indeed.

Benjifer
May 28, 2012
A. It's the only one that fits and isn't completely boring.

Conchobhair was actually one of my more favourite characters from Dark Side, but I can't remember for the life of me why... I think it was possibly because he was the least overpowered (with the obvious exception of Thorfinn of course).

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I'm going to go with Cavalier. Largely because Holy Swordsman looks like very little benefit for giving up all his spell casting (admittedly, I don't think he can actually use spells yet, but still...)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
As much as I want to powergame and make him a Cavalier, dammit, his name is literally Strongblade. He's a Holy Swordsman.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
What? no Undead Hunter? Bah.

Fine, tossing in a vote for A.

Also, some mighty fine lich-slaying there.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I tried to choose some paladin sub-classes for him based on his character and circumstances. He's a dude with a huge sword who approached us and offered to help us slay a dragon. That narrows down his possible classes in my mind. He didn't offer to help us slay the Dark One, so probably not an Undead Hunter. He didn't offer to help us take out the mages of Ulcaster, so probably not an Inquisitor. Isn't after the illithid, so not a Cerebral Knight. He's a young guy, so doesn't qualify for the Lord class, which is described as a class that many older paladins become. I just offered a subset of paladins that fit with a young dude and a sword interested in slaying dragons.

If you really want another class, though, you can propose it and advocate for it. I don't mind.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 25, 2012

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
A Dude likes himself some big swords.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
E. Cavalier. It's his destiny.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Serifina posted:

Holy Swordsman looks like very little benefit for giving up all his spell casting (admittedly, I don't think he can actually use spells yet, but still...)

Agreed, another vote for

E. Cavalier

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Let's go for E. Cavalier. We could use a gentleman in our party.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
A Because I too am a fan of comically oversized swords.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I've updated Page 98 again with the latest advancements in relative storylines. The character stories are so so big they span 3 posts :monocle:. It's sure going to be sad when they burn one by one in fiery conflagrations of death and destruction going up against things mortals were not meant to see we all go our separate ways to start farms, inns, and taverns, as do so many successful adventurers.

Dunefar
Nov 20, 2003

Killer.
I'll go with A. May as well go all in with the sword.

loco88
Oct 24, 2005

E.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
A. because the guy is totally inspired by Guts that means he's all about swinging that hunk of metal called a sword.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Pickled Tink posted:

Also, some mighty fine lich-slaying there.

Thinking about the fight some more, the only way I was able to survive was because the Dark One never moved. He just stood in one location and waited for me to come to him, then teleported to another location and waited again. I think that was the decisive factor. If we were in a closed room and he moved around I'm pretty sure he would have wiped the whole party.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I've gotta make a vote for A, because I totally wanna see him with Grand Mastery in Two-Handed Swords and mastering the Two-Handed Weapons style.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I'm gonna have to pull for A as well. Dude just wants to get his claidheamh mòr on.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
A- all sword all the time.

Also I have a question: Why is the party broke all the time? Is it because the mod decreased the gold drop rate, dropped the prices that items sell for, upped the prices of all items, or do you just spend all your money on the obligatory resurrections?

It just seems kind of pointless to have items for sale when anything remotely cool costs 10x what the party has ever amassed at one time.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Part of it's the ressurections, part of it's that he bought some nifty items, and part of it is that he's not selling all those magic items - so that when the GroupMind (or death) changes the party composition, everyone's got magical toys.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Yes to upping the prices of everything, yes to everything Serifina said, and I even use the gems and jewelry we find for bribery. I may actually be the most wealthy person in the Sword Coast if you count up the value of all of my magical items I have stored away in my own private pocket plane (and I've got my own private pocket plane), but I just never have any liquidity because I hardly ever sell anything.

Actually my total wealth may be worth finding out for an update. Just sell everything, see how much gold I have, reload.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

E. Cavalier

Provides more roleplaying/story opportunities. The holy swordsman just sounds like a guy with a big sword (and a bit min-maxy). The cavalier is like a paladin but paladinier.

• Locked thread