Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I'd have put down another vote for A Beserker, but it wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

I'm quite enjoying reading about the dsotsc mod, but I can imagine it must be an absolute slog to trawl through something with such a limited and poor plot. Congratulations on the regular updates too by the way - impressive dedication!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Dum de dum, let's have a look at the forums for Sky-

[WIP] Viconia and Saerelith for Skyrim

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-!

Anyway, there's something odd about the color palate altered version of that avatar. I mean, I know they're using the same color palate, but the female side no longer looks similar to the male. Weird. Maybe it's the contrast or something. Or maybe I'm OCD with colors.

-Wait, hold on. I just took a second look at the Troll Slayer class. They aren't proficient with swords?! But they can have 5 proficiency in Sword and Shield!? What lunatic made this kit?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Midnight Voyager posted:

-Wait, hold on. I just took a second look at the Troll Slayer class. They aren't proficient with swords?! But they can have 5 proficiency in Sword and Shield!? What lunatic made this kit?

Sword and Shield style actually applies to using any one-handed melee weapon with a shield, despite the name.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Vorgen posted:

How about a Chinchilla Barbarian Child of Bhaal? That would mean that we could have a full Bhaalspawn party go up against the big bad at the very end of everything: myself, Imoen, Sarevok, Balthazar, the Chinchilla, and perhaps Viekang.

I now have images in my head of the Lord of Murder as a chinchilla. Having chinchilla sex.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I now have images in my head of the Lord of Murder as a chinchilla. Having chinchilla sex.

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny, chaos will be sown by their passage. Even by the chinchillas. Especially by the chinchillas. - Full text of the prophecy of the Wise Alaundo, often shortened.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vorgen posted:

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny, chaos will be sown by their passage. Even by the chinchillas. Especially by the chinchillas. - Full text of the prophecy of the Wise Alaundo, often shortened.

He's a god! They'll screw anything AS anything. Just look at Zeus and Loki! You're lucky you aren't a donkey or a goat or something.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

8 Tarsakh, 1370

So Ferthgil Trollslayer wants to know what's going on down here in the Underdark. But first we ask Ferthgil what he can do.

Gameplay note: By narrow margin, Ferthgil Trollslayer is a Troll Slayer.

We deck him out with everything we've got for him, but nothing can match his axe, armor, or helmet.

Someone mentioned his 135 hit points as reason to keep him around, but I'm sorry to say he doesn't have that many after the class change. Previously he was level 9, with his next levelup slated to be at 500,000 xp. But with 161869 xp, he should only have been level 8. It looks like the de-leveling script that is supposed to match characters roughly with our xp failed to de-level him upon joining. So he's got less hit points, but totally a legal amount for his level.

After getting acquainted, we take a look around the place.

I guess the only way to go is down. We open the trap door and drop down into the dark unknown. Which turns out to be a maze of convoluted passages, all alike.

We find the undead here, unsurprisingly.

This body over here has another copy of the spell Ettin's Healing, and a scroll of Chaotic Commands.

I'll save the spell for Firebead. In the next room, just lying on the ground, is an unidentified ring.

I check it out with Finch's glasses, and it is the Ring of Wizardry!

I can feel my mind expanding.

Gameplay note: Look at this, I can memorize 12 level 4 spells.

Then we move on. The spider room contains a spider.

And 85 gold in the corner. The Fireball trap room contains a Fireball trap.

The trapped corpse is trapped.

The most eerie thing about this place is the lack of monsters. Where are they? And the corpse has the Ring of Nimbleness on it.

Wait a second... isn't this cursed? I decide to check it out later, in safety. At any rate, for some reason Imoen and I feel as though something significant is around the next corner, so we both cast Mirror Image.

But we are wrong.

The worst thing is a vampire wolf that attacks us from the darkness.

I reckon with a bit of our people this dungeon'd just be like me old clan. Ha har!

And then we are stumped. Where do we go from here?

We search this maze for a while, but we don't find any other exits. So we just go back the way we came. When we get to the site of duergar slaughter, we notice a stairway up that we had not paid attention to before.

The stairway leads to more mines.

A duergar priest starts casting something when we enter the central hub.

We concentrate on him so much we don't notice the duergar thief until he backstabs Imoen!

Imoen's Wand of Lightning and my Blade Shower pretty much take care of him.

Bardo is the one that deals the deathblow to him.

I think the fight is pretty well in hand until a mage hits Bardo with some magic missiles.

I try to respond in kind but I just get dizzy.

OK, not JUST get dizzy.

After all that, one of Bardo's arrows takes him out.

At the same time, the melee fighters get their own job done. We are alone again.

I decide to do something about these thieves once and for all. I teleport back to prepare for it.

*growls* So, that's what you meant about putting more padding under my armor! Jerk! You want them bigger, go find a cow!

I tried babe, but she wouldn't follow.

In the morning I know 3 instances of Glitterdust and 2 instances of Detect Invisibility. No thief is going to sneak up on us again.

In the northern area of this map we find a sealed door. No telling where it goes.

In another shaft, we meet a duergar skeleton conjurer who does nothing but cast True Sight until he dies. What did he want to see, I wonder?

We explore the rest of the mine, but there is nothing here of interest. So we just move on.

I get a strong sense of deja vu about having deja vu when we get to the end of the next tunnel.

I keep expecting more duergar to pour out of the hallway to the south, but none do.

The door ahead of us is locked, but Ferthgil just smashes it open with main strength.

There doesn't seem to be anything down here, but we start to hear the telltale sounds of a duergar thief lurking about.

Imoen gets it before we can do anything.

Then I cast Glitterdust on that fucker and make sure he never disappears again.

He doesn't last two seconds after that. Ha!

After the next fight is over, Bardo finally realizes what his true role is in the group - sniper!

The duergar storerooms are just as frustratingly empty as other ones I could name.

Their secret passages just as infested with the undead.

The major difference is that the duergar make their big stand in the dining room.

Imoen and I cast twin Fireballs at the same time.

Then she Hastes us and we mop up the survivors.

The fight is a tedious slaughter, but safe for us.

The single drow warrior that enters into the equation does not change the outcome.

Bardo looks for traps and finds one, in his own special way.

We find more jail cells, but they are empty.

And we find another stairway down, which we take.

We go down the stairs and find another maze. Will these mazes never end?

Then a drow warrior comes running out of the darkness at us.

No big deal really. Bardo next finds a trap. Also not a big deal.

In a kind of central chamber we find an orc mage.

We attack him and an orc cleric comes out to support him. Also he hits Bardo with a lightning bolt.

The mage teleports away!

Oh no wait it was Shadow Door.

Bardo takes the mage.

And Imoen takes the priest.

We go trap-hunting while we wait for Jet'laya to wake up again.

We find another exit just over here.

But we want to explore the rest of this place first, so we just mark it down for later. Instead we go looking for more traps...

more enemies...

that run away to expose our melee fighters to even more enemies.

Shar-Teel knows that lightning bolt is coming for her. She also knows that she probably can't survive it. She downs a Potion of Magic Shielding just before it hits.

I'm really getting tired of orc mages casting lightning bolts at my party, so I cast one at him instead.

Before the fight is over another drow warrior even joins in, but still we defeat them all.

Let this be a lesson to us. We should never chase down runners. At least not here. We keep looking around. Bardo finds more traps.

And we all find more duergar.

Eventually we find ourselves back where we started.

There is just one more passage to take before we give up and go that one way we found.

We run into a group of drow and duergar.

And then another, this time with more drow.

Oh, if I were you, I'd be prepared tae pick up yer teeth.

At least ma breath does nae smell like it's comin' oot of an ogre's arse.

It's always nice to see companions getting along. One of the dead drow has another Drowcraft Adamantine Full Plate +3. Ferthgil takes it, albeit reluctantly.

Then we press on. More drow we find.

Jet'laya picks up her personal set of Drowcraft Adamantine Full Plate after.

Bardo goes exploring and finds another stairway up.

From the amount of drow we have recently fought here I think this way leads to drow central. So we're going to the other way!

Unfortunately the other way is spiders. More spiders.

Spiders, spiders. Always more spiders.

Sword spiders, giant spiders, phase spiders, astral phase spiders...

The spider parade only stops when we get to the loot.

Gameplay note: Counting the Ankheg Cave, which this map is, I think I've looted this area at least 5 times now.

We find potions of Magic Protection and Cloud Giant Strength, 12 Flamedance Rings, some Darts of Stunning, some Bracers of Defense AC 7, a Ring of Free Action, and three spell scrolls.

The first spell scroll is the 9th level spell Arc of Death.

I think I'll have to try that out soon. The second spell scroll is Magic Circle Against Evil, the cleric spell. I give it to Jet'laya. And finally, the last scroll is Raise Dead.

This is a true treasure. Even if we lose someone down here in the depths of the Underdark, we can bring them back! Amazing! Well, unless that person is Jet'laya. She is the only one who can cast it. We will have to protect her at all costs.

We walk around further in this cave, confident that we can take out any spider we find. That is part of the reason that we completely lose our poo poo when we find a demon.

Just the demon's gaze burns. We find that out first.

I tell everyone to hold their position as I try to summon something to delay the demon. What the bloody HELL is a demon doing down here anyway?!

If it bleeds, I can kill it.

It may not bleed, sugartits. Give me a little magic time first ok?

Ferthgil Trollslayer uses the amulet that Imoen gave to him - the Amulet of Wyvern Summoning.

I can't hold the melee fighters back; it's like they are drawn to fight the thing. Imoen and I both summon more combatants for it to shred.

It ignores the summoned creatures and goes straight for Shar-Teel. Maybe it's because Shar-Teel is screaming at it in incoherent rage?

But... then again... it doesn't seem to connect with any of our fighters. Could we be handling it? Yes, I think we are.

Ok, this drowcraft equipment is freakin' awesome! Shar-Teel rips out the demon's very heart to keep as a trophy.

She's almost more scary than the demon.

Gameplay note: She's got another pip in two handed swords.

I don't want to waste our overreaction of summoned fighters, so I send Bardo out again to direct them towards something to kill. But he can't find anything. I guess the demon was hungry down here.

So there's nowhere left to go here.

I guess we have to go to drow central. With the number of duergar theives we've killed, we have about 20 potions of invisibility. And I really don't want to deal with any more duergar or drow in this obviously highly-traveled area. So we each pop a potion of invisibility and take off.

We pass an orc mage.

And eventually make it to the other stairway.

We go down it and find two drow guards standing watch.

We let them have everything we've got.

Maybe this is some sort of drow armory, because we find a Drowcraft Flail +3, a Drowcraft Halberd +3, and a Drow Piwafwi Cloak.

Nobody can use the flail or the halberd so we just leave them. Bardo takes the cloak. Then we continue.

This place is some kind of drow stronghold.

In a nearby chest we find scrolls of Larloch's Minor Drain and Army of One.

We save it for Firebead. In another nearby chest we find some stuff and 8,900 gold! Oh my god! I have just doubled my carried gold!

The scroll is the level 9 arcane spell Heal, which I already know, and the ring is another Apprentice Ring. I give Imoen both. Now my apprentice knows her first level 9 spell too!

Then I send Bardo ahead to scout. He finds several traps.

He also overhears an important conversation.

Reiltar has the matter well within his grasp. Iron supplies all along the coast are running low and tensions are reaching peak levels between Amn and...

That is not good enough! There have been too many setbacks and far too many mistakes made on the part of your organization. Jarlaxle does not like the way things are progressing. Your operations in Nashkel were botched by that incompetent excuse for a half-orc and now the Cloakwood mines lie flooded under a river of water! We did not provide the Iron Throne with a formula to taint the iron supplies just to have this operation carried out by a group of fools. Rieltar is not holding to his part of the bargain. Perhaps Rieltar would like to make a personal appearance before Jarlaxle himself?

I can assure you that Rieltar and the other authorities of the Iron Throne can overcome these minor setbacks. As we speak plans are being...

MINOR SETBACKS!!! Jarlaxle wants no more excuses. You tell Reiltar to get this operation back on schedule and keep that overzealous son of his in line. Jarlaxle and I feel that a large part of the problem is the inappropriate mddling of his "son"! This is your final warning. Rieltar gets the situation back under control or the Iron Throne will have to answer to Bregan D'aerthe! Now get out of here before...

Well, what do we have here? It would seem, Mortius, that your young "friends" have found you yet again. I don't know how you got in here Syvishtar, but I can tell you that you will not be leaving! Surprised I know who you are? Bregan D'aerthe has been watching you... even if our "partners" have not!

We aren't scared by you drow! Your threats are wasted on us!

Are they? We shall see... the Iron Throne may be unable to deal with you, but we are not --"Lil alurl velve zhah lil vekyn uss!!!"

Bardo runs back to us as we cast protective spells.

It's on! The first person to get to us is a famous-looking drow warrior.

We beat on him until Mortius shows up. Then Imoen and I both Magic Missile his rear end.

But they just don't seem to hurt him at all. I can't figure out what's going on.

He attacks Bardo with some kind of staff, and takes damage himself.

He must be wielding a powerful magic weapon. Nothing else would make a wizard act like that. Another mage shows up down the hall, so I cast Dispel Magic at him. But he simply walks around the corner to avoid it.

The famous drow gets a good hit on Jet'laya.

I move to heal her. And I guess Ferthgil was getting tired of a crazy mage wandering back behind our lines, because he turns around and chunks him in one blow.

I try to patch up our front line with an air elemental.

That other mage, Jabress Xaendrassa Auvryndar, comes back and begins to cast something. This time Imoen gets her with a Remove Magic.

I try to follow it up with Skull Trap, but he teleports away before it hits! Bastard!

Gameplay note: Jabress is a male drow name right? And aren't all drow wizards male? I'm going with that anyway.

The melee contingent of this fight melts before our concerted onslaught.

The blood from the last enemy goes flying, and we go mage-hunting.

My elemental shows us the way.

We get a little bit of damage in before he teleports away again.

I throw a Dispel at Shar Nadal's feet, which goes off just before she also teleports away. The dispel tracks her back to the entrance. Ha!

You aren't getting away this time. Meanwhile, Shar-Teel has managed to kill the drow mage.

I guess it wasn't Dimension Door, it was Shadow Door. I throw some chaos daggers at Shar Nadal, and everybody dogpiles her.

Shar Nadal stuns Shar-Teel.

Imoen hastes everyone.

Shar Nadal is confident in her spell protections, and casts Greater Malison on all of us. Then she calls forth a magical sword. It is the last thing she ever does, though, because my regular old Boomerang Dagger takes her out.

And we all fight the magical sword.

None of us can seem to hit the sword. It hits Ferthgil, though.

Even when Ferthgil gets a critical hit, he does no damage to the sword.

Eventually the sword just disappears, probably taken back to whatever plane it hails from.

We go looking for stragglers. We find a few.

Nothing threatening though.

So it becomes clean up time. There is a lot to clean up. Imoen and I can only identify half of this stuff without resorting to magic. There are also spells, more than can fit in any one person's backpack. With the aid of everyone else we manage to pick it all up and haul it back to the Armory.

We rest and then get down to the busines of sorting through everything.

First, we go through the level 1 spell scrolls we found. Those are Larloch's Minor Drain, Grease, and Orb of Air. Orb of Air is something both Imoen and I know, so we save it for Firebead.

Level 2 spell scrolls are Horror, Strength, and Melf's Acid Arrow. If there's anything that Firebead can learn, we'll save these for him too.

Level 3 spell scrolls are Fireball, Melf's Minute Meteors, and Ray of Frost, which I have never seen before. Since it is Evocation, something Firebead can't help us with, I copy it down into my spellbook.

Our only level 4 spell we found is Dimension Door. Everybody knows that, so we pack it away.

We also have level 5 spell scrolls. They are Conjure Lesser Fire Elemental, Conjure Lesser Air Elemental, and Domination. Nothing new. I save the conjurations for Firebead. He'll appreciate them.

Level 6 spell scrolls Firebead can't help us with, so it is just up to whether or not Imoen and I have or want these. They are Contingency, Globe of Invulnerability, Invisible Stalker, and Tenser's Transformation. Imoen takes the first three and I take the last.

Level 7 spell scrolls include Fire Storm and Sphere of Dissipation. Since I know the latter, I give it to Imoen. I memorize the first myself.

Finally, there are five level 8 spell scrolls. I don't know any of them, so I copy all of them down into my spellbook. The first is Globe of Darkness.

Gameplay note: I'm pretty sure we'd just see the THAC0 and AC penalty and not the spell effect. But maybe. Who knows?

The second one is Infernal Combustion Enigma.

Gameplay note: These ambiguous spell descriptions are really piquing my curiosity.

The third spell scroll we find is Miasma.

Gameplay note: This is a big boy's Cloudkill. Ouch.

The next spell scroll is Protection from Energy.

Gameplay note: I originally searched for this in the generated spell descriptions, but it didn't exist. The one that I found there only confers 75% protection against energy. So this is an improved version of that spell, I suppose. Complete immunity for 2 rounds per level. This is some pretty heavy stuff.

The final spell scroll we find is Thunder Bolt.

Gameplay note: A level 8 version of Lightning Bolt, which is a level 3 spell. Also, if you've noticed, the level 3 Lightning Bolt in the Big World Project behaves differently from what you may be used to. It snakes along the ground and only hits one target in front of it. This spell behaves like the original game's Lightning Bolts do, and like the Lightning Bolt traps still do, by bouncing around everywhere. It is quite dangerous, especially if this is the supercharged version. It will be many months before we can cast level 8 spells, but once we do, watch out!

In addition to all of those spell scrolls we find, we also find 17 new magical items. It is hard to sort through them all. We first divide them into items we have seen before, and then those we haven't.

We find another pair of Glasses of Identification, just like Finch's. They are very helpful in determining what else it is we find. We also find two Cloaks of Protection +1, and some Bracers of Defense AC6. Those will undoubtedly help one of our little magelings. We also find another copy of Bardo's necklace, the Bluestone Necklace of Dexterity. We give it to Shar-Teel. We also find a second copy of the Mage's Bracers that increase spellcasting speed. We give those to Imoen. We also find another Ettin's Wand.

Gameplay note We also find an item in the German language, the Goldener Stirnreif.

This is the translation of its description: "This gold ring decorated with precious stones could pass as a crown. Except that it is pretty to look at, it has no special properties." Looking at it with NearInfinity, it seems to be accurate. Not cursed or specially magical or anything.

The only way to organize the remaining items we find is into those that help mages, and those that don't. We look closely into the items that do not help mages first. We find two copies of the same ring, actually, the Ghaunadaur Priest Ring.

Mur'neth would like one of these I bet. We also find another ring, the Ring of the Ancients.

If we only knew a cleric-mage multiclass we could find this very useful. Alas, we don't. We find an Ioun Stone as well, the Stone of Good Luck.

Ideal for thieves, so we give it to Bardo. The other non-mage piece of equipment we find is another scimitar, called Jagged Lightning.

Once again, no scimitar users. But maybe we should get some.

The only category of items left are those that will help mages. The first is a mage robe that I can actually wear!

Gameplay note: Holy Weaveballs Batman! 50% magic resistance would be enough for anything, but permanent Minor Globe of Invulnerability, +4 spells of first through third level, INT and WIS set to 19, increased spellcasting speed, and immunity to normal weapons? This is godlike. I could probably solo the game from here on out.

I put it on, and feel it sticking to me. It is cursed. I will never be able to remove this robe. Not that I would want to. The second item is a pair of gloves.

These would be perfect for Indira! Hopefully she can wear them soon. If we ever get ourselves out of the bowels of the earth, that is. Next is a ring.

We are getting too many of these now. I am wearing two Rings of Wizardry already. Imoen is wearing two Apprentice's Rings as well. Plus with my robe, how can I ever cast so many spells? I think I'm just going to have to distribute these to all the other spellcasters in my party. Maybe instill a limit of 1 per caster.

Gameplay note: I currently have so many level 1 spell slots that I can memorize 6 more spells than can be displayed on my interface.

With so many spells available to me now, I decide to wear two different rings - the Ring of Dwarven Bone for regeneration and the Ring of Free Action for, well, free action. Imoen still chooses to wear some spellcasting-augmenting rings, but she chooses the normal Ring of Wizardry and the Mystic Ring. The others we will give to bards and mages in our group, if there are any in the future.

The next-to-last mage item is the Sapphire Wand.

I don't think it runs out of charges. It might be a last-ditch resort item. The final item we have to look at is a staff that neither Imoen nor I can use. But we recognize it as the staff Mortius was swinging about.

Gameplay note: It gives a bonus to backstabbing, in addition to all that other stuff. Good for thief-mages. Evil thief-mages.

You know what? As long as I'm carrying this cursed mage robe around, I'm going to go back to using Meta Infernum. I missed that sword.

There is one more item that we find. It is a book called the History of the Dark Side. We will have to read it tonight. Then, with all the looting done, we get into the elevator we find and go up, up, up.

The way out is paved with spiders.

Always, always spiders.

In this nook are the spell scrolls of Ice Storm, Hold Person, and Simulacrum, which is new.

There are also some Darts of Stunning and a Wand of Frost.

Then there are more spiders.

In the southeast corner of the area we find some stairs.

But we find a different set of stairs nearby.

We choose to take these stairs. They look more fancy. They bring us to another cave, full of more virulent spiders.

And an orc mage. Shar-Teel charges him straight without a care in the world. He fries her in one lightning bolt.

I dispel his protections a second later, but that is too late for Shar-Teel.

Jet'laya and Ferthgil charge the mage, but then he opens a dimensional door and steps in. Jet'laya chases in after him and disappears!

Gameplay note: That's the first time I've seen the extra bit of the Shadow Door spell work. Cool!

The orc appears again, hitting Ferthgil with magic missiles.

I use the Wand of Cold on his face.

Ferthgil finally kills him.

Then we have to wonder, where did Jet'laya go? And will she be able to come back?

Gameplay note: Spell description says that creatures may be trapped in an extradimensional room for up to 4 rounds.

She comes back while I'm looting the nearby cubbyhole. Great!

She describes a shadowy realm of insubstantiality and strange shapes moving. Creepy. In the cubbyhole is the stash of some low-level mage - a Knave's Robe, a scroll of Fireball, a dagger. But there is one good thing in there, a scroll of Greater Malison. That's the spell everybody keeps hitting us with!

It is only a level 4 spell as well, so Firebead can give it to all of us!

As soon as Jet'laya gets back, she casts a spell that I've always wished to see a cleric in my party cast. Raise Dead!

Following it up with Cure Critical Wounds and Shar-Teel is back in business.

I tell the woman to take up the bow. We need to get out of here in one piece.

We find an orog down here. We kill him too.

We eventually find a way up.

It leads to more caves. It's like swiss cheese down here.

Place is full of orcs.

Bardo scouts, of course. He finds some leather armor just lying around.

He also finds two ways out, one on the east side...

And one on the west.

I am already thinking about two caves ago when we had to choose which way to go. I think we need to go back and check out the previous branch before we choose a second branch. So we backtrack.

And go down the plain stairs.

Oh. Those stairs just lead back to this cave. Those stairs simply bypassed the spider caves.

Bardo mentions that this is the place where he found the leather armor. When I ask him what leather armor, he shows me. I realize it is Gnomish Workman's Leather +2.

Bardo puts it on. Seems to fit him good. Ok, my mind has been calmed. We have only one stairway to use, and that is to the west. Westward ho! That stairway brings us up into a shallow cave filled with bats. Seems like we are getting close the surface!

We walk to the mouth of the cave and find sunlight touching our faces for the first time in days!

Soon, the superpowered armors we wore are nothing more than adamantine dust.

It is back to normal weapons and armor for us. But in exchange, we have the sun. I'm okay with that. Now... where are we?

Oh, this is the ruins of the bandit camp. How strange that the tunnel up from the Underdark would lead here. I guess the drow and duergar were working more closely with the bandits than anyone realized. I remember the conversation that those drow had before I slaughtered them all. They had supplied the formula to poison the iron in the first place. And they knew my name and said that they were watching me! This Iron Throne is a constant scourge on my back. I need to find them. I need to make them stop.

Also I need to tell Otho the bad news.

When we arrive in Beregost, our friend the Dirgesinger Cow sings a song of mourning for us. She always cares, doesn't she. She knows the fateful news we bring.

We go straight for the Thunderhammer Smithy. We need to let Otho know what happened.

I can't take much more of this male imbecility.

Look babe, you can suck it up or you can leave, alright?

Next, we talk to Taerom Thunderhammer, to see if he has finished his work on the Ankheg Platemail. He has.

I take a look at it. Pretty sweet!

Then I go back to the Jovial Juggler. I have made a decision. I walk over to everyone, clap my hands, and shout to be overheard by everything.

"PACK YOUR BAGS, EVERYONE, WE'RE GOING TO BALDUR'S GATE!"

I can't help but smile at the general cheer that arises around me.

It takes people all day and all evening to get ready to take off. There's much confusion and bedlam everywhere. In the end it is decided that there are errands to be run, things to take care of, friends to say goodbye to. We'll take care of some things and then head there in a few days. By evening time, I'm mentally exhausted. I sit down by the fireplace and open up a book that we found down deep in the Underdark, a book called the History of the Dark Side. Now that we have some time to rest, I take it out and read it.

History of the Dark Side posted:

Coast Road Way. He spent many a sleepless night trying to cast just the right Hex to reveal yet another mystery. Sometimes he would succeed, much to his surprise. Yet, other times his failure would be miserable and disheartening. He also had to deal with the fact that many said the Dark Side didn't exists, or if it does, it's better left to a more seasoned adventurer. But, CúChoinneach paid them no mind and continued the search.

During his journey, CúChoinneach met a range of unique individuals that, in their own way, had contributed to Roach and CúChoinneach's discoveries. Among these colorful denizens of the Sword Coast was a man known simply as Ken the Baker, though he is not a Baker, no one really knows how he got that name. He is often found in the Jovial Juggler in Beregost, usually right after a big victory by Team Baldur's Gate. Ken, as some call him, too believed that many mysteries lie hidden in the Sword Coast and started his team of "Hexers" to begin research of these mysteries. Among these hexers were enchanters, illusionist, and representatives from just about every school.

One of these individuals went simply by the name of Banelord. He was able to show CúChoinneach some of the finer points of Hexing, but a short time after that Banelord faded from the scene. Rumours abound as to the reason for his quick departure, but nothing has ever been confirmed.

The list continues to grow as the journey continues...

Credits:
Original Concept by Roach
Story Development by CúChoinneach and Roach
Areas and Creatures Designed and Hexed by CúChoinneach
Darkside Logo created WoRm
Items created by a large number of hexers that is too numerous to list here....(Also, CúChoinneach doesn't wish to leave anyone out. But if you go to the TeamBG site you can visit the TeamBG partner sites and find the creator of your favorite item.)
Sounds for Jet'Laya, Keiria Silverstring and Conchobhair Strongblade, edited by Grog
NPC Jet'Laya was created by Grog
All other NPC's were created by CúChoinneach
Voice and Bio for Ferthgil Trollslayer provided by Gothmog of the Stonehearth Clan.
Original Icons for some of the items were created by WoRm Website and Publicity by Ken Baker.

None of this would not have been possible if it weren't for Ken Baker and the creation of TeamBG. TeamBG allowed the coming together of minds and provided the ingredients necessary for a successful brew!

Finally a quick thank you to Gustov Montessie who has been a major contributor of editors and other programs that make it possible to create a number of the items and spells. And thanks to all the TeamBG Partners.

Special thanks to Black Isle Studios, Bioware Corp., Interplay Productions, and all of the individuals who were involved in the creation of Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast. Without any doubt the greatest CRPG ever created, and without which I would not have created DSotSC.

My last thank you goes to you! The adventurer that who is reading this and was able to find it stashed in a bookcase somewhere in the Dark Side of the Sword Coast. Now get out there and bust some heads ye "Greedy Goblins!"

CúChoinneach

Gameplay note: I will have one more update of doing equipment upgrades (and perhaps purchases!) and collecting some animals as companions, and then we will end this major segment and have a new party composition vote. Next update. So start thinking about who you want to have with Syvishtar when he walks into Baldur's Gate for the first time.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 6, 2012

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012
Almost there! Yes!
Some of that equipment is insane.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Crip Towe posted:

Some of that equipment is insane.

I feel that this is quite the understatement. What the gently caress.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

That robe and that staff, its just mind boggling. You're going to walk all over vanilla content cackling to yourself.

Benjifer
May 28, 2012
Heh. I was looking at all those re-used maps and powerful magic and I couldn't help but think to myself.

This is nothing compared to TDD...

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Nthing the "holy cow, that ROBE..." comments.

Also, huzzah for Raise Dead! Syvishtar will finally be able to start accumulating some real capital now that (s)he won't be constantly paying for temple resurrections anymore.

Also, this is a vote for Jet'laya to be a permanent party member from now on, until we find another person who can cast Raise Dead. Or is it a spell that all clerics get? If that's the case, then this is a vote for a party consisting of: 1) Syv, 2) a cleric selected from among the available clerics of level 9 or above, and 3-6) four more party members selected from thread voting.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Tax Refund posted:

Nthing the "holy cow, that ROBE..." comments.

Also, huzzah for Raise Dead! Syvishtar will finally be able to start accumulating some real capital now that (s)he won't be constantly paying for temple resurrections anymore.

Also, this is a vote for Jet'laya to be a permanent party member from now on, until we find another person who can cast Raise Dead. Or is it a spell that all clerics get? If that's the case, then this is a vote for a party consisting of: 1) Syv, 2) a cleric selected from among the available clerics of level 9 or above, and 3-6) four more party members selected from thread voting.

Sorry to disappoint you dude but it was just a spell scroll. A one time thing. Clerics have to be a lot higher level to cast it innately.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
With the end of this arc, it feels like a good time for...

Roll of the Dead

Ajantis
Deaths: 3
Slain by Ankheg in Ankheg Lair
Slain by Ankheg in Ankheg Lair (second visit)
Slain by Kobold Captain in Trade Way South

Bjornin
Deaths: 1
Slain by Elka in Valley of the Tombs

Branwen
Deaths: 5
Slain by Ogre Berserker at Bear River
Slain by Bandit in Reddy Forest
Slain by Skeleton Warrior in Bone Hill
Slain by Syvishtara in Thief's Den

Bub Snikt
Slain by Baby Wyvern in Cloakwood Forest

Conchobhair Strongblade
Slain by Skeleton Lord in Castle Daerthmac

Coran
Deaths: 2
Slain by Ogre Berserker at Cloakwood Mines
Slain by Brown Bear in Gullykin

CuChoinneach
Slain by Skeleton Warrior in Castle Daerthmac
Permanently dead. Soul stolen by baatezu during raid on Fugue Plane for use as currency in the Nine Hells.

Dynaheir
Slain by Edwin at Dryad Falls
Slain by unknown enemy east of Beregost

Eldoth
Slain by Bandit in Coast Way
Permanently dead. Soul claimed by Loviatar.

Edwin
Slain by Gnoll Slasher in Gnoll Stronghold
Slain by Ogre in Cloudpeak Mountains
Slain by Amazon in Valley of the Tombs

Fabio
Slain by Orc in Bald Hill
Slain by Bandit in Reddy Forest
Slain by Gas Spore beneath Restenford

Faldorn
Slain by Black Talon Elite in Cloakwood Mines

Finch
Slain by Ankheg in Ankheg Lair
Slain by Ankheg in Ankheg Lair (second visit)
Slain by Ankheg in Wyrm's Crossing
Slain by Rhialto the Marvelous at Candlekeep
Slain by Minsc in Nashkel Mines

Firebead Elvenhair
Slain by Anton Valor in Ulcaster Depths

Imoen
Slain by Kysus at Cloakwood Mines

Indira
Slain by Vallius at Friendly Arm Inn

Jaheira
Slain by Ogre in Beregost
Slain by Astral Phase Spider at Temple of the Morning Song

Kagain
Slain by Wild Dog in Gnoll Stronghold
Slain by Giant Spider in Peldvale
Slain by Natasha in Cloakwood Mines

Khalid
Slain by Giant Spider in Larswood

Kivan
Slain by Mist Horror in Ulcaster Ruins
Slain by Shoal in Shipwreck Coast
Slain by Pheonix Guard in Nashkel

Minsc
Slain by Black Talon Elite at Cloakwood Mines

Montaron
Slain by Hobgoblin Archer in Lion's Way
Permanently dead. Soul claimed by Cyric.

Mur'Neth
Slain by Orc in Valley of the Tombs
Slain by Bandit north of Nashkel

Shar-Teel
Slain by Dire Wolf in Red Canyons
Slain by Zargal (named hobgoblin) in Red Canyons
Slain by Bassilus in Red Canyons
Slain by Syvishtara in Cloakwood Forest
Slain by Orc Mage in the BG1 Underdark

Skeezer Lumpkin VI
Slain by Natasha in Cloakwood Mines

Thorfinn Hauskluniff
Slain by Tranzig in Beregost

Tiax
Slain by Bandit south of Beregost
Slain by Syvishtara in Bandit Camp

Will Scarlet
Slain by Ogre in Beregost

Xan
Slain by Orc in Valley of the Tombs
Slain by Molkar at Song of the Morning Temple

Xzar
Slain by Bandit south of Beregost
Slain by Kobold Chieftain in Nashkel Mines
Slain by Bandit north of Nashkel

Total Death Toll: 65

Dammit, Corellon! Why did you have to let that priestess of yours learn to raise the dead? Syvishtar(a) was single-handedly financing my church on the Sword Coast! - Lathander, Morninglord

Bite me. - Corellon Larethian, First of the Seldarine

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 27, 2013

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What is the curse on that robe, anyway? Is it just unremovable or is it secretly doing something horrible like applying an invisible 50% rate of spell casting failure?

Also: "He's useful for how many HP he has! *votes for a kit without the HP bonus*" :allears: Goons.

...Goddamn that book is horrible.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 6, 2012

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Midnight Voyager posted:

What is the curse on that robe, anyway? Is it just unremovable or is it secretly doing something horrible like applying an invisible 50% rate of spell casting failure?

There's no curse, it's just too good for Syvishtar to ever take off again.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
I'm gonna say that you'd best recruit enough animals to have an entire party of them.

Also, that robe plus Tenser's Transformation and you can now probably solo content without using any offensive magic spells.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Roll of the Dead

Just wondering, why did you choose to give Eldoth to Loviatar?

Midnight Voyager posted:

So far the only curse it has is to constantly spam my combat log with "Spell Ineffective" messages. It's trying, and failing, to do something to me, like 5 times a round! I wonder if it will get through some day and instakill me or something...

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Vorgen posted:

So far the only curse it has is to constantly spam my combat log with "Spell Ineffective" messages. It's trying, and failing, to do something to me, like 5 times a round! I wonder if it will get through some day and instakill me or something...

This makes me think that some mod made the item and then was like, "Oh, but let's put a downside. I know, they can constantly be under the effect of Spell X." Not thinking about the fact that the robe makes them immune to low level spells.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vorgen posted:

Just wondering, why did you choose to give Eldoth to Loviatar?

Loviatar is about more than just physical pain - sure, she's the goddess of sadism and the creepy kind of masochism, but also has a serious thing for emotional pain. She loves those who pretend to love someone, only to betray them. From Faiths and Pantheons:

Faiths and Pantheons, on Loviatar posted:

Day-to-Day Activities: As one of the Dark Gods, Loviatar likes to be feared, and her clergy members are ordered to whisper of her ever-present power in the darkness after they have inflicted pain. Their Prime Charge is to tirelessly cause suffering, both widespread and personal. This work may be as brutal as flogging an encountered band of orcs until they flee or as subtle as breaking hearts among young nobles by pretending to fall in love with the gallants (while disguising one's Loviatan faith), working to break up existing amours and friendships, and engaging in scandalous dalliances before coldly spurning the victims and departing. The activities of prudent worshipers of Loviatar should never be so high-profile that local authorities set out to imprison or thwart them upon first sight, but such activites should be energetic and numerous. Being a good actor-and of striking beauty, or experienced in using spells to appear so-are very useful traits for a Loviatan, but the most successful Loviatans are those who understand the ways and natures of folk and so know just how to cause them the most pain and to manipulate them toward that end.

Eldoth doesn't strike me as religious at all, but I figure Loviatar snapped him up when he arrived in the Fugue Plane.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Dammit, Corellon! Why did you have to let that priestess of yours learn to raise the dead? Syvishtar(a) was single-handedly financing my church on the Sword Coast! - Lathander, Morninglord

Bite me. - Corellon Larethian, First of the Seldarine

We could only do it once. :ssh:

Amnistar posted:

This makes me think that some mod made the item and then was like, "Oh, but let's put a downside. I know, they can constantly be under the effect of Spell X." Not thinking about the fact that the robe makes them immune to low level spells.

Haha, on looking it up, there's apparently something called the BP Balancer. I found it looking for this item in particular. Wonder why. I also found the writers of DSotSC grouching about people complaining about overpowered stuff.

Also, the Big World PDF is hilarious on the topic of certain mods.

Exnem's Items Mod posted:

"This Mod contains 21 new spells and 88 new items plus edited monsters and areas. The mod includes items from Final Fantasy, Lord of the Rings and who knows what else, nevermind the fact that they are overpowered beyond imbalanced and the fact that it also potentially overwrites your random treasure table."

SHS forum posted:

Well, that was my point when I used those words originally to suggest it really shouldn't be in BWP at all. So they just quoted me verbatim and put that in the PDF, presumably to warn off potential users. O_o

Oh hey, I found some-

I know what the curse is. Sortof. I also suspect I know what that constant resistance message is and it's not what you'd think. Would you like to know?

Actually, it looks like the thing is mysteriously and inexplicably bugged sometimes. Keep an eye on your spell slots, they can apparently glitch out when you wear it. Hopefully that's been fixed.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 6, 2012

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh hey, I found some-

I know what the curse is. Sortof. I also suspect I know what that constant resistance message is and it's not what you'd think. Would you like to know?

Actually, it looks like the thing is mysterious and inexplicably bugged sometimes. Keep an eye on your spell slots, they can apparently glitch out when you wear it. Hopefully that's been fixed.

If it is something that I can find out in-game some day, don't tell me. But if it is something fun-breaking like a bug, let me know. Or you could PM me.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vorgen posted:

If it is something that I can find out in-game some day, don't tell me. But if it is something fun-breaking like a bug, let me know. Or you could PM me.

You actually know it already, though it has not occurred to you! :science: If it comes up, I'll mention it. DO keep an eye on your spell slots, though, because them scrambling is in fact a bug and I've not found if it's been fixed or not yet.

The report was in 2005, so perhaps that one has been fixed.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 6, 2012

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.
So, according to this mod all the stuff the Iron Throne was up to was just dancing on the puppet strings for a group of drow mercenaries?

Poor form, mod. Poor form. You don't do that. You don't neuter the main plot antagonists just to make your dumb poo poo seem cooler.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sejs Cube posted:

So, according to this mod all the stuff the Iron Throne was up to was just dancing on the puppet strings for a group of drow mercenaries?

Poor form, mod. Poor form. You don't do that. You don't neuter the main plot antagonists just to make your dumb poo poo seem cooler.
I mean, neat concept, having your mod tie in to the main storyline, but dumb execution.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I mean, neat concept, having your mod tie in to the main storyline, but dumb execution.

A similar tie in could have been achieved with minimal changes to the scene, instead of what we had there just make it an exchange of some sort for more iron poison. The drow are just providors of it, they don't control anything except the price. During the discussion have them bring up the events as before.

Its not that hard to not undermine the whole story, or is it ?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tzarnal posted:

A similar tie in could have been achieved with minimal changes to the scene, instead of what we had there just make it an exchange of some sort for more iron poison. The drow are just providors of it, they don't control anything except the price. During the discussion have them bring up the events as before.

Its not that hard to not undermine the whole story, or is it ?
I mean it would only require just one or two lines of dialogue changed, really. The Iron Throne requests more iron poison, the drows make fun of them for loving up their previous operation (but then start talking business arrangements), then they notice the heroes busting in. No puppetmastery or anything there.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Vorgen posted:

Now look at what you've gone and made me do.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Vorgen posted:

This makes me curious. Could you load up the item and check?

Edit: oh never mind, someone's already on this.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Ifff it's alright with Vorgen, I can put it under spoiler tags? You can't get PMs or I'd just go ahead and say it.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Yah, spoiler tags would be fine.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Alright then! Keep in mind that... well, with all these mods installed, this could be inaccurate. I'm going by information I found from other people talking about the DSotSC specifically in the context of the Big World Project.

HERE THERE BE CURSE SPOILERS.

The messages could potentially be from resisting Syv's own effects. See... in Baldur's Gate 1 at least, spell immunity doesn't care if the spell is nice or not. You're immune and that is that. Even spell resistance didn't care if a spell was helpful or harmful. I know it's Trilogy, but we are getting these messages and it was noted to happen in the Trilogy/BWP. With so many mods in, this may have changed, but the fact that the log is complaining may indicate otherwise. This includes healing spells. Which will just silently do nothing.

...spells that remove curses? Are some of what is resisted here. Someone noted having to use a save editor to remove it when it bugged their first level spell slots.

So yeah, the curse is that it is so good at resisting magic that it resists some of the most commonly used beneficial magic, some of the only beneficial magic you have access to in Baldur's Gate 1.

We'll know if this is right soon enough...

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 7, 2012

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Alright then! Keep in mind that... well, with all these mods installed, this could be inaccurate. I'm going by information I found from other people talking about the DSotSC specifically in the context of the Big World Project.

HERE THERE BE CURSE SPOILERS.

The messages could potentially be from resisting Syv's own effects. See... in Baldur's Gate 1 at least, spell immunity doesn't care if the spell is nice or not. You're immune and that is that. Even spell resistance didn't care if a spell was helpful or harmful. I know it's Trilogy, but we are getting these messages and it was noted to happen in the Trilogy/BWP. With so many mods in, this may have changed, but the fact that the log is complaining may indicate otherwise. This includes healing spells. Which will just silently do nothing.

...spells that remove curses? Are some of what is resisted here. Someone noted having to use a save editor to remove it when it bugged their first level spell slots.

So yeah, the curse is that it is so good at resisting magic that it resists some of the most commonly used beneficial magic, some of the only beneficial magic you have access to in Baldur's Gate 1.

We'll know if this is right soon enough...

I thought they removed resisting beneficial spells in BG2, like with the instance of Viconia? If this is true, then the curse is nullified, as BWP uses the BG2 mechanics of spell resistance, ja?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ETB posted:

I thought they removed resisting beneficial spells in BG2, like with the instance of Viconia? If this is true, then the curse is nullified, as BWP uses the BG2 mechanics of spell resistance, ja?

This is what I thought as well, but the thing is that I found this information in reference to Trilogy/BWP. They may have scripted it into the item for all I know. That's why we'll have to wait and see.

If that's not the curse, then there is literally no curse that anyone can figure out. Which is amusing... but terrible.

I'm afraid taking apart Infinity Engine files is not my forte. If someone can do so, they might want to try to take a look to be sure. This was the only information I could find on it at all.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 7, 2012

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Thanks a whole lot to whoever got me this animated avatar!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
You're welcome. I'm afraid I screwed up, though - there's an 'and' missing in your title. This is what I get for changing the text.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Serifina posted:

You're welcome. I'm afraid I screwed up, though - there's an 'and' missing in your title. This is what I get for changing the text.

We'll just think of your failure every time Vorgen posts something. :colbert:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I really unironically love how you're just right now entering chapter 5 which generally constitutes the "meat" of the vanilla game, haven't even glanced at TOTSC content, and you're already a couple thousand XP away from hitting the experience cap of 161,000 in the unmodded base game while carrying weapons that are either literally ToB endgame material, and/or give you effects equivalent to the attributes you'd have in the ToB endgame.

I'm pretty sure the only thing you can't do now that you'd be able to do in ToB is turn into the Slayer and at this point in the game why would you even want to when you can just call in a demon from the abyss to do the work for you?

I mean even with the TOTSC finale you can just drop a cloudkill in the room, gate a demon and peace out while they finish each other off. May The Best Planar Abomination Win.

e; also 'grats on finding Raise Dead. Being able to cast that means pretty much the end of any gold worries ever ever, excepting increasingly remote wild surge flukes, and there's enough cool stuff to buy that there's rarely a reason to stockpile too much of it.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

ETB posted:

We'll just think of your failure every time Vorgen posts something. :colbert:
How will I ever live with the shame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

e; also 'grats on finding Raise Dead. Being able to cast that means pretty much the end of any gold worries ever ever, excepting increasingly remote wild surge flukes, and there's enough cool stuff to buy that there's rarely a reason to stockpile too much of it.

It's been mentioned before, but: it was a one-use-only scroll. Until we find more of them or we have a cleric of high enough level it's back to the ol' temple for us.

e: to clear it up: wizards can learn spells from scrolls, clerics get all their spells upon level up. Both can read higher level scrolls of their class, but then the scroll is gone.

Choronzons son fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 7, 2012

• Locked thread