Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

Nexus is... different... from the BG modding community. It's an echo chamber where criticism is not permitted and fetishes are allowed to run rampant. The three main BG modding sites generally aren't like that.

And yet it never stops being funny to post. :v:

I know it gives most modders a bad name, but when the popular mod sites are like the nexus and whatever the NWN is, it can't help but shed a pretty terrible light over the whole scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cythereal posted:

I did say it excised one of the rape scenes. Specifically, the one where the PC can attempt to rape Imoen. I think the other one, that the PC is not involved in, stays.

That said, please don't take the wrong idea of the majority of the modding community from this. The Imoen Romance is very much an anomaly in regard to including and talking about rape. I can only think of one other mod that brings up a similar subject (outside Romantic Encounters and the Chosen of Mystra site, but those are clusterfucks to begin with). The vast majority of mods do not even approach things like this. Most mods, including romances, are actually decently written, relatively inoffensive material. I'd put a decent number of them on par with Bioware's writing in the game, and that's not because I consider Bioware's writing an especially high standard. Yes, a few get creepy - Kivan's emo tendencies, Ajantis' enforcement of what could politely be called traditional gender roles, Chloe's over-the-top militant homosexuality, everything by Lava del Vorten or Netherin & Sillara, etc.

The problem is that people tend to see or hear about the mods that are distinctly offensive or downright weird, and assume all mods are like that. Most are not.

Certainly true!

But talking about the boring or half decent ones isn't nearly as interesting.

Still, SHS is pretty good usually, as is gibberlings.

Less of a fan of Chosen of Mystra or Blackwyrmlair.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Xander77 posted:

The veru first major BG2 mod I installed interrupted my lesbian romance with Viconia with a rape scene. By a jailor NPC whom Vicky (weirdly free to move around during a cutscene) gibbed with her mace before his second line could trigger. Fun times.

Are you sure that's not a feature? :v:

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

Brainamp posted:

And yet it never stops being funny to post. :v:

I know it gives most modders a bad name, but when the popular mod sites are like the nexus and whatever the NWN is, it can't help but shed a pretty terrible light over the whole scene.

The BG scene could be pretty horrifying long before Saerileth, in fact, uh let's do a little test: MPrilla, MPrilla, MPrilla! is he here yet?

Also, wasn't one of the Ascension crew doing an "Imoen Relationship" mod, with absolutely no romance but instead a lot of new talking with Imoen since by the story she's the most important NPC I guess. Anyone remember that and if so, did it ever get made?

Benjifer
May 28, 2012

The Road Crew posted:

The BG scene could be pretty horrifying long before Saerileth, in fact, uh let's do a little test: MPrilla, MPrilla, MPrilla! is he here yet?

Also, wasn't one of the Ascension crew doing an "Imoen Relationship" mod, with absolutely no romance but instead a lot of new talking with Imoen since by the story she's the most important NPC I guess. Anyone remember that and if so, did it ever get made?

Yes it did. It wasn't too bad either.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Are there any patches/mods to keep a thief with the script for auto-trap searching from stopping in place when it kicks in while they're walking to a waypoint? The script's handy, but it's incredibly annoying to find Imoen halfway across the map from the rest of the party.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

i think the best solution to that would be to use a different thief script. This is the one that I use for my thieves.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 21, 2013

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

You know, its so good to see this logo again:

And so good to hear this music again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i38_6oNPE24

Get ready for more adventures from...

Lets fuckin' do this poo poo!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Oh hell yes. You just made my dad, Vorgen.

e. Day :doh:

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 21, 2013

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Viola the Mad posted:

Oh hell yes. You just made my dad, Vorgen.

Indeed, you have made all of our dads.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Time to play horrible Baldurs Gate Mods.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

11 Kythorn, 1370

Aranor won't speak to me.

I struggle to remember why this is important. I look around, slightly confused. I feel as though some sort of huge sluggishness has clouded my brain, as if I have been asleep for months, and am just now barely waking up. But that can't be true. I traveled straight here from ... from... why can't I remember?

What?

Oh, right, there was a demon...

I almost died... or was that my Image?

AHH yes, moon horrors!

And then, there was more...

Oh of course, a squirrel that heals. But we also have a mission from Pheirkas... don't we?

And now here I am, standing in the Blushing Mermaid, trying to talk to a mage that won't speak. Aranor. Right. I suspect it has something to do with the fight that we got into upstairs, and the Confusion, and the fact that Jaheira executed a few peasants. Why did I come here again? And why is that guy looking at me so funny?

Wait, didn't that bard down in the Nashkel Fair give me a letter to give to this guy? Where did I ever put that? No, its not in my Bag of Holding... Where is it?

Oh, here it is! I had put it in the saddlebags that are hanging on the mule in the interdimensional hotel room in which I also store my pet scribe, Firebead Elvenhair!

Yes, of course! How could I ever have forgotten? Silly me, forgetting the basic facts of life like how I have an interdimensional hotel room that I teleport to on a daily basis, and that I keep things in the saddlebags of the mule that I have left there permanently, which is in turn taken care of by the friendly neighborhood mage Firebead, who does not have a teleport key of his own and must needs stay here unless I let him go.

Yes.

I'm quite dumb to have forgotten that.

While we are here, let's relax for a few hours.

And let's have Finch read us another story. It has been so very long since I've heard one of hers... almost a week. Right? She chooses to read the History of Calimshan to us.

History of Calimshan posted:

...from the Plane of Fire. Some say this is where the bitter hatred between djinni and efreeti started, though others contend this was just a result of a hatred that was already there. Whatever the cause, the battle was long and bloody, and took over 100 years to complete. The Djen finally routed the attackers, but were greatly weakened in the attempt. They slowly declined, and the last mention of the Djen is just under 6,000 years old.

For the next 4,000 years Calimshan was dominated by nomadic tribes of humans. Tribes from various places - Chult, the Shaar, The Shining Plains, Chondath, even Amn and Cormyr - took turns dominating, only to be conquered by the next, nearly identical tribe.

SLowly, the nomadic nature of Calimshan began to change. As explorers and traders from Amn, Waterdeep, and Cormyr discovered the wonders of the area, some tribes began to settle down and develop new means of support, like fishing, farming, or trading. These communities began to band together for mutual protection, and soon a civilization was born. It was only 1,300 years ago that the Shoon Empire (now called Iltkazar) came into being.

The Shoons were a grand and glorious empire, and their excesses were the foundation of Calishite snobbery today. They grew wise and powerful in the ways of magic, and ships and caravans bearing the Shoon flag traveled across the Forgotten Realms. Shoon himself, a particularly powerful mage, created a book of great power during this time called the Tome of the Unicorn. The exact location of the Tome has been lost in time, but since the book is 2' by 3' and made of pure metal, it is likely to still be around... somewhere.

900 years ago the Shoon empire abruptly vanished. A great magical upheaval was suspected at first, but learned mages of other lands dispute the claim. A force that great, they say, would have disturbed magical powers and beings throughout the Realms, and that didn't happen. Sages who have studied the Shoon at great length have reached no definite conclusions, but the most popular theories today center around a plague or disease that decimated the population.

Today, the Shoon impact on Calimshan is still great. The grandeur of that empire is responsible, more than anything else, for the strong national character of Calimshan today. The ruins of the Shoon's greatest city, Monrativi Teshy Mir, can still be found in the wilderness to the west of the edge of the Forest of Mir (see below for more on Monrativi Teshy Mir).

Since the fall of Shoon, no orce or people has risen to soley dominate the land. There are a half dozen or so major cities, each of which exerts its power over its own area. About 170 years ago, a man in Calimport amassed a large army and declared himself "Pasha" over the land. Before that army could march, however, the representatives of each major city met and agreed to recognize the Pasha's authority in limited areas, and to pay a small tribute to him; enough top ay for the works the Pasha was expected to do. The oldest son of each Pasha inherits the title; if there is no son, the mayors of each large city select a new one. The current Pasha, Rashid Djenispool, has ruled over 18 years, and is the grandson of a pasha elected by the mayors of Calimshan 44 years ago.

Such a far away place. But I think I heard Khalid mention once that he was born there. Sometimes I feel so tied down by location and geography. Am I ever going to be able to travel so far away? I feel my heart rise up in sudden, strange longing. I just want to get out of here. As soon as I talk to Aranor, and get some stuff done here regarding the merchant guilds, and maybe one other thing. Then its off to Calimshan for me! Maybe.

With the letter in hand, I return to Aranor. I don't see any frightened commoners around. Maybe he'll talk to me now?

OK, I'll have a drink with you; hand me the bottle.

There you go stranger, take a good swig.

Now take it easy, its strong stuff. Too much and you'll be asleep all week.

Strong stuff! I needed it, thanks for sharing it with me. You wouldn't be Aranor by any chance, would you?

I am the man you seek. What is it you require that is of such importance?

I have journeyed from Nashkel to deliver this letter to you. It's from a bard named Cearwin. Do you know him?

I have known Cearwin for many years. I have been waiting several weeks for a message from him. No doubt the message you hold is of great importance. YOU had best hand it over to me.

As you wish. Here it is.

So the stone remains in place. This is not the news I was expecting. The elves are very adept at keeping their secrets hidden.

What is this stone you speak of? Why is it so important?

The story of the stone is this. A long time ago before the retreat of elves, the Wood of Sharp Teeth was known as Askavar, a now-ancient elven community. Over time, Askavar fell into ruin, overgrown by the forest and overrun by dire wolves and other strange beasts. Last Erastide, a scroll was discovered in the area, giving details of a stone buried deep beneath the ancient settlements. Believed to hold awesome powers, in the wrong hands it could sway the balance of power in the region. As you know, we have tried to recover the stone, but until now our attempts have failed. The loss of the Talismans can only mean that the enemy are aware of its existence.

Is there another way to retrieve the stone?

Without the Talismans there is no way that you can enter the underground chamber. Having all five talismans will release the wards and make the entrance visible. To my knowledge, there is no other entrance. No doubt the talismans were stolen by Teldorn's men. I have heard rumors that some of his Black Gauntlet are in the area. The enemy may not be aware that the Talismans are the key. If you wish to help, go back to Cearwin and see if he's had any luck locating them. Once you have the Talismans try to gain access to the underground chamber and retrieve the stone.

Nashkel? Again?

It's a long journey to Nashkel. I would need provisions and they cost money.

I will give you 100 gold now. If you retrieve the stone I will give you 3500. So... are you interested?

I accept your offer. I'm sure I can find a diligent party to help me.

You are indeed a savior. Make sure you are will equipped for the task. Bane's followers will be tracking you, so keep your eyes peeled.

Well then. Off to Nashkel!

Gamplay note: I think this is a great way to get back into the swing of things, because I've never done this mod before. Off we go into the mutual unknown!

It is a long trip.

But it is good to once again visit this pastoral scene. Compared to the hustle and bustle of Baldur's Gate itself, this place is positively paradise.

When we get to Cearwin, he seems happy to see us.

Yes, I have spoken to Aranor. Having learnt the secret of the stone, I have decided to join your cause. Aranor believes Teldorn and his Banite followers were responsible for the loss of the talismans. Did you find any information on them?

It's good to have you with us. We need all the help we can get in our fight against Teldorn and his Banites. I've only been able to trace four of the Talismans. Luckily, Teldorn's agents were unaware of their importance, and sold them to a merchant in Beregost. However, the merchant has sold them in turn, so you will have to try and recover each one in turn. The fifth I was unable to locate, and can only suspect that it is still in the hands of the enemy. I have made a note from the sales ledger - it will tell what you need to know.

My spies have also heard rumors of a small group of mercenaries somewhere to the east, near Dystra's old watch tower. Kalindra, one of our agents, has already been tasked to investigate the area. She may need your help, so I suggest you travel there and have a look around.

Looks as if I've got my work cut out for me. Tell me more about Dystra's old watch tower.

There's not much to tell. Dystra was an old wizard who beleived the Zhents were planning an invasion of the western heartlands. He built a watch tower so he could detect any invaders coming from the Darkhold fortress. Most thought he was mad but considering the recent events, maybe he wasn't that mad after all.

If these mercenaries are Teldorn's men, we must act quickly to neutralize the threat. No doubt they'll be after the stone as are we. There is much to do, so I will bid you farewell.

Before you go, take this mirror with you. It will aid your defense when you need it. Let me know when you recover the Talismans.

Well, cool, a magic mirror! I take a look at it.

Gameplay note: Color in an item sketch? Say it isn't so! Still, Blur isn't so bad of a spell to have more of.

I also take a look at the notes that Cearwin took on where the Talismans are.

Oh great. I'll be running all over the place now. I think Bluebell Wood is closest to Nashkel. Let me start there.

As soon as we arrive at the wood, Phase Spiders teleport in!

Kivan manages to take them out pretty easily.

Their sword spider cousin also charges us soon after. But we shut it down.

I don't want to spend all my time wading through hordes of easily-killed spiders, so I send Alora and Kivan out to scout alone.

Hop skip to it!

Shut up! Your chattering might drive us all insane.

You are mean, mean, mean! No wonder people don't like you!

I wince as they run off into the forest, bickering back and forth. In retrospect, this might not have been a good idea.

At least they shut up when they find a ghoul.

They just ignore it. They also keep running into Webs.

They ignore them too. When they come back, they report some spiders, skeletons, the ghoul, and some hostile-looking dudes far to the southwest.

Alora also reports that they had good loot...

including a magical pearl that she can't quite figure out.

Finally, Alora reports that Kivan sucks at hiding, to which he replies that he thinks he heard her mother calling her home for supper. Don't ask me, because I don't know.

I roll my eyes and begin to turn away, but then one more awful follow-up question blazes into my mind. I ask Alora WHY she thinks Kivan sucks at hiding, and she answers that it's because he was seen and the bad guys are coming straight for us now!

GAH! I'm going to have to have a long talk with Alora about information priority.

We manage to choose the worst possible place to fight the incoming bad guys.

Finch steps up to be our tank, but I worry about her. Apparently so does Squirrel, because he begins to chitter and scamper in the absolutely cutest way possible. What is he doi... oh. HA!

Ithkim just can't bring himself to fight against an enemy with a cute squirrel in its ranks, and begins to walk away. But then, I guess he thinks twice, because he turns around and comes back after us.

Oh well, gave us a few precious seconds. Enough seconds for Squirrel to cast his follow-up spell. A blinding ray of sunlight streaks from the sky!

No effect? Weird. But Kivan gets a few good shots in on Shaerlee, and Finch finishes her off.

Her friend Ithkim moves in to attack us directly, but is caught in the Web. We cut him down quickly.

These fighters died quickly, but they were pretty well kitted out. Among them they have the Talos Storm Shield, Mecorima's Chain Mail, Barbarian Broad Sword, and a Composite Long Bow +2, the Medusa's Curse.

Gameplay note: Oh my god they spell it "elve". Pretty good elemental resistances though. Finch still prefers her Shield of the Falling Stars +1 for its hit point bonus, but if we get into a lot of elemental damage situations, she can switch shields out. So she'll carry it in her inventory.

Gameplay note: Some chain mail that increases CHA. Nice. But it is not an upgrade for anyone, and most importantly it is not golden, so in the bag it goes.

Gameplay note: Nobody uses bastard swords, but this is nice with its fire damage and cold resistance.

Gameplay note: An anti-basilisk bow! Kivan will definitely keep this around.

Finally, we have time to also check out the pearl that Alora found.

I try to puzzle it out, but I can't quite get it work. I know it has something to do with charming magic, but I'm not sure how exactly. It is shiny though, and Squirrel seems to like it, so I give it to him.

With two out of the three down, I don't believe that we can be in any real danger, so we simply saunter up to the tents. But Jonell has other ideas.

I... have never heard of that spell before. Oh my god Finch is she gonna die?! DISPEL!

But my Dispel doesn't work on whatever has encased Finch, and I feel the familiar prickle of an incoming Chaos on the back of my neck. Oh gods, this is going to get ugly fast.

I order everyone to scatter, but the spell still gets two of them.

Not me of course. Never me. I cannot let this stand. I reach deep into the Weave to unleash raw chaos upon Jonell. But before I do, he DOES something to Edwin.

And now I have two squirrels in my party. Great.

Gameplay note: The true horror of being polymorphed into a squirrel is the stat drain.

Jonell does the smart thing and moves out of the area of the Glyph of Wild Magic, with only a few remnants of raw Weave clinging to him. But Kivan also does the smart thing, and shoots him in the back of the head.

I approach Finch, as close as I can, try to get a good look at her in there. She seems okay...

But I can't do anything to the barrier protecting her. I hope this doesn't last too long. I also hope Edwin doesn't stay a squirrel too long. Geez.

With nothing else to do, I just sit down and wait for the magic to wear off and restore my party to normal.

EIGHT HOURS LATER, Edwin is still a squirrel.

I have to flip through the Holy Book of Rhialto to cast a Dispel to fix him. That is some potent magic.

Then we look through the items we found on the body of Jonell. He was wearing a Robe of the Evil Archmagi, of course, but he also has a Talisman!

It would have been nice if Cearwin would have noted that the old wizard in Bluebell Wood was evil. But oh well. What else does this place have to offer?

Nothing. The rest of the area is just forest and forest creatures, like skeletons. I'm getting tired of the forest. (Don't tell Kivan.)

Hmmm... where to next?

North of Nashkel, here we go!

When we arrive, we find kobolds. Those little buggers. Edwin throws Grease at them.

After killing the kobolds, we find a cave entrance in the middle of the small lake here.

Of course there are spiders in the cave. Why wouldn't there be?

There are also both boxes and disgusting spider eggs in this cave.

Gamepay note: After seeing this Generic Cave Map about 20 different times in all these mods, I really appreciate the fact that someone took their time to modify this map a little bit to include boxes and eggs. That touch alone makes the mod worth it in my eyes.

The barrels have potions or small weapons in them. Looks like storage for some kinda adventuring party or small army.

But the presence of the spiders make the whole place more sinister. Did they used to be human, and then were turned into spiders? Did the spiders make this place their lair and use the humans to incubate their disgusting larvae? Where are all the people?

I get more signs of people when the circle comes into view.

When we move to check it out, a decidedly unfriendly voice speaks up.

I hear Edwin beginning the first syllables of Remove Magic, while I throw something random in the mage's direction. It turns out to be Summon Efreeti.

The efreeti moves in to attack Peleria, but she puts him into one of those big bubbles again. What IS that spell?!

Then she does it to Alora too!

But Kivan, steady, deadly Kivan, once again puts the bad mage down.

Peleria was also carrying a talisman. Now we have 2!

She was also wearing the White Robe of the Spider, and had the Orb of Storms.

Edwin seems quite enamored of the Orb, so I give it to him.

On the way out, we find a weird red-filled pool. I hope that's not blood.

We also find a new book, one that really puzzles Finch. She says she hasn't heard of it before in all her life, which for Finch really is something. It is called the History of the North - Return of the Beast (1367 - ?). It is quite short, so I have Finch read it to us.

Why must we emulate the ways of the dwarven folk by crawling about these warrens?

Just hold on a minute dude, we'll be done soon. We explore the rest of the area, loot every single box, and head out.

Gameplay note: Ok, someone really did go into a lot of trouble to not only put boxes and eggs everywhere, they also copied and pasted parts of the map in different ways to make it look unique. I really think this is cool!

Well, great. We now have two talismans. Talismen. Talismani? And looking at the note, we have to visit Beregost and Baldur's Gate more before we have the 4 Cearwin knows about. I have a feeling the 5th is in that tower he mentioned, and that we'll have to fight people for it. So best get ready. Get prepared. Get the eye of the tiger!

Gameplay note: Well guys, this is my first installment after being so busy for so long. I hope to get this out once or twice a week. I hope you like it!

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Vorgen posted:

Gameplay note: Well guys, this is my first installment after being so busy for so long. I hope to get this out once or twice a week. I hope you like it!

Channeling this mod's writing style for a moment...

Whee it's great that you're back I'm so glad to read about Syvishtar's further adventures do you think I'm talking too fast? I keep hearing about these things called "commas" but I don't know what they are I mean my English teacher was really insistent on them she said you should put them in whenever you take a breath but I don't really breathe when I'm speaking so I dunno.

Okay, that's about enough of that. Seriously now, I'm quite looking forward to whatever craziness is around the next corner. Though this mod is really grating on my grammarian's nerves, so I'm hoping we can get it out of the way soonish. But even the run-on sentences can't get me too down at the moment, because Syv is back.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Vorgen posted:

Oh, here it is! I had put it in the saddlebags that are hanging on the mule in the interdimensional hotel room in which I also store my pet scribe, Firebead Elvenhair!

Yes, of course! How could I ever have forgotten? Silly me, forgetting the basic facts of life like how I have an interdimensional hotel room that I teleport to on a daily basis, and that I keep things in the saddlebags of the mule that I have left there permanently, which is in turn taken care of by the friendly neighborhood mage Firebead, who does not have a teleport key of his own and must needs stay here unless I let him go.

Yes.

I'm quite dumb to have forgotten that.
Oh my gods, I missed this so much :allears:

Glad to have you back, Vorgen.

Benjifer
May 28, 2012
Yaaaay! Welcome back!

Bad grammar and spelling errors aside, this is one of my favourite BG1 mods. On it's own, you get some uber equipment but compared to all the other stuff you've accumulated, it's nothing.

Quarter Past Ten
Jan 17, 2012

When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?
Words cannot describe how excited I was when I saw that you updated. I like the look of this mod, the fact that they took the extra time on the generic cave map speaks of good things to (hopefully) come.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ah, c'est magnifique!

I'm utterly delighted to see this return, and I can't wait to see the rest of Syvishtar(a)'s adventures!

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Heh, thanks guys. I'm glad to have enough free time to do this again too!

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I'm glad you're back at it Vorgen. I think over the last 3 or so months I've managed to catch up from first meeting Ajantis to now. Looking forward to more adventures.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Great to see it running again!

Also I can't be snarky at this last mod because it's written exactly like we used to write cool D&D stuff when we were twelve.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I've been looking forward to two major events for over a year now. The first is the gigantic climatic battle where I use all of the Golden Company as replacements for the overwhelm-Sareveok-with-summoned-creatures strategy at the end of BG1, and the second is the terrifyingly brutal no-resurrections-available hardscrabble for survival that will be the Chateau Irenicus at the beginning of BG2. Why is it taking me so veeery long to get to these points?

Edit: I am also extremely tempted to get my entire party turned into werewolves during an island adventure that may come up soon. We have enough replacements, why should we worry if 4 or 5 go feral?

Actually, to get this thread going again and stir up a ton of discussion, lets talk about the final confrontation with Sarevok. We have long ago decided to take all of our followers down to the deep dark ruins of the forgotten temple where Sarevok will lurk. The question is... what do we do with them all when we get them down there? What tactical layout should we go for?

I am assuming that we should have 3 lines. A line of melee fighters in the front, nearest the entrance to the temple. A line of clerics next, that can back them up and heal them. And thirdly a line of archers/casters behind those, that can rain death into the horrible, horrible melee. And finally, in the very back, I shall stand, Wild Magic at the ready.

Another tactical consideration here is that while we can place everyone from the Golden Company in the final battle map, we will only be able to control 5 of them. The non-party members of the fight will just be standing there, just like when they're in the Inn, operating under standard NPC AI. That means that they will fight red-circled enemies on their own terms, meleeing and casting spells according to some script or another. I may be able to use the Call for Help ability that I have to kindof direct them, but not really. I also don't think that they will help each other. Maybe that means the entire controllable party should be healers, so that I can direct them to keep the rest of the Golden Company alive during the battle.

That also means that if someone dies during the final battle and they are not in the party, they will be permanently dead, since we can only resurrect people who are in the party. So the final party selection is going to be crucial for a number of reasons.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 22, 2013

loco88
Oct 24, 2005

I'm not equipped to handle this kind of pressure without a structured voting system. :ohdear:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

well you don't have to vote on it right now, you can just make suggestions.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Vorgen posted:

I've been looking forward to two major events for over a year now. The first is the gigantic climatic battle where I use all of the Golden Company as replacements for the overwhelm-Sareveok-with-summoned-creatures strategy at the end of BG1, and the second is the terrifyingly brutal no-resurrections-available hardscrabble for survival that will be the Chateau Irenicus at the beginning of BG2. Why is it taking me so veeery long to get to these points?

Edit: I am also extremely tempted to get my entire party turned into werewolves during an island adventure that may come up soon. We have enough replacements, why should we worry if 4 or 5 go feral?

Actually, to get this thread going again and stir up a ton of discussion, lets talk about the final confrontation with Sarevok. We have long ago decided to take all of our followers down to the deep dark ruins of the forgotten temple where Sarevok will lurk. The question is... what do we do with them all when we get them down there? What tactical layout should we go for?

I am assuming that we should have 3 lines. A line of melee fighters in the front, nearest the entrance to the temple. A line of clerics next, that can back them up and heal them. And thirdly a line of archers/casters behind those, that can rain death into the horrible, horrible melee. And finally, in the very back, I shall stand, Wild Magic at the ready.

Another tactical consideration here is that while we can place everyone from the Golden Company in the final battle map, we will only be able to control 5 of them. The non-party members of the fight will just be standing there, just like when they're in the Inn, operating under standard NPC AI. That means that they will fight red-circled enemies on their own terms, meleeing and casting spells according to some script or another. I may be able to use the Call for Help ability that I have to kindof direct them, but not really. I also don't think that they will help each other. Maybe that means the entire controllable party should be healers, so that I can direct them to keep the rest of the Golden Company alive during the battle.

That also means that if someone dies during the final battle and they are not in the party, they will be permanently dead, since we can only resurrect people who are in the party. So the final party selection is going to be crucial for a number of reasons.

I would imagine that anyone crossing over to Bg2 would be dead also?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Yes, anybody who dies in the final battle will stay dead for BG2. Even if it doesn't happen automatically I'll make it happen.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Vorgen posted:

Yes, anybody who dies in the final battle will stay dead for BG2. Even if it doesn't happen automatically I'll make it happen.

That...

That's pressure alright.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Imoen kinda cheats, though. Does it still stand for them, too? I'm not sure how you'd do that.

Benjifer
May 28, 2012
I think the final party should go without voting and be the 'canon' group (Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc and Dynaheir). They're all mentioned and featured in the opening dungeon of BGII and it could be kind of weird if we know they died before.

On the other hand, it might make interesting developments for Syv's insanity...

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

For at least some of the NPCs who show up again in BG2 you can pick an "Aren't you dead?" dialogue when you first meet them. The only ones who really need to be kept alive to make sense are Imoen, Jaheira and Minsc, I think. Not sure about ones who are modded back in like Kivan, I guess it varies from mod to mod.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
All I'm going to say now is that Edwin needs to be kept alive, for a very good reason.

Unless the modders made it creepy. Dear god I hope they didn't make it creepy :gonk:

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
Creepy? In a BG mod? Never.

Great to see this back. As for the final battle, I am wondering if the Tactics AI will make the casters smarter? Or is that only defined enemies?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I'm counting on the audience's love of Imoen to see her through the final battle. I should clarify I guess... the people in the final battle who die outside of the party and therefore can't be resurrected will stay dead. I'm pretty sure Imoen is going to be in the final party, and will stay alive.

If you'd like the final party to be the canon group, you can vote for that. But I'm not going to deny the thread the chance to choose who lives and who dies, who goes to Athkatla and who doesn't. That's going to be a glorious debate and a half.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vorgen posted:

I'm counting on the audience's love of Imoen to see her through the final battle.

What love for Imoen? She's too plot important in 2 to see dead in this game, but I never understood her appeal at all.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Could we get a better bead on how well the non-party AI will be able to handle keeping themselves alive before committing to the 'you die in the Undercity, you die FOR REAL' plan?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

OK, sure. The easiest way to do that will be to set Lady Wonderbounce loose in the middle of the Elfsong Tavern. I'll do that as a fake update soon enough.

Cythereal posted:

What love for Imoen? She's too plot important in 2 to see dead in this game, but I never understood her appeal at all.

Maybe you don't understand the appeal, but its definitely there. She's been #1 or #2 most popular in all party votes for the entire thread.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 23, 2013

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Cythereal posted:

Plenty of us like Imoen. She's friendly and happy and excitable without going too far overboard, and the mods just add some silliness to her, for the most part. Plus, she's literally the one character there with you from beginning to end (or who can be). Add in her importance to the second game, and she's got a lot of weight to her character in the long run, and many of us like having her around for that very reason.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Cythereal posted:

Hey, don't diss our Sister In Pink!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shei-kun posted:

Hey, don't diss our Sister In Pink!

She's a brat, barely tolerable in the base games and the mods make her worse.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Guessing that if Imoen were not in the final party and died in the Sarevok battle, that would mean that she'd only be "dead" in that she'd stay with us in BG2 as little as possible, right? (I.e. dismiss her immediately after rescuing her in the madhouse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cythereal posted:

She's a brat, barely tolerable in the base games and the mods make her worse.

You only say that because she stole your wallet that ONE time.

Seriously though Imoen is fabulous. Unlike most other NPCs, her character has true weight and meaning. Syvishtar(a) will, I expect, but quite put out by the events that are soon to unfold.

• Locked thread