Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I vote for #2.

3 would interrupt the LP too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunefar
Nov 20, 2003

Killer.
I'd vote for #1. It's worked well so far, no need to change things up from it. #2 doesn't seem too bad if it goes that way.

A belated welcome back, by the way. Glad you picked this back up!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm going with #2. It seems the sanest course of action.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Numero Uno: Don't change the policy. Double-fireballs after an encounter that killed someone is a bad idea. Also, we have enough characters that you can keep cycling through them. Also, I would say not to use the Vault Keeper for anything - teleporting eats up a TON of gold or some valuable gems. It's not worth it, particularly since Syv has chronic cash issues as it is.

quote:

Gameplay note: Whoa, again with 14 hit points gained! This little dude is becoming a powerhouse.

Khalid's seriously gaining HP like crazy. Not what I'd call a powerhouse yet, but he's definite a wall of meat. Good thing, too, since he turns chicken at the worst drat times if he doesn't have enough HP.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

That was a pretty nice mod. Makes up for the shitpile amulet quest you just went through :)

Anyway, voting. Raise but still Rest. Cuts down on the trudging to the temple (actually eliminates it outright!) without messing up the cycling order. Also it ensures that every character gets some minimum time in the sun - hi there Xzar.

The funny double Fireball should be easily solved by just protecting yourself and having everyone else stand at a safe distance, or am I missing something?

Oh, and I'm going to guess that the "gem of kings" that gets burned for the teleport was a diamond, since nothing else in the default gem list seems to fit. Try checking that in the before/after saves.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

All these deaths are giving underutilized characters valuable experience.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
#2, Raise and Rest. It seems the option that will make this easiest on you.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

I WAS DUMB AND MISUNDERSTOOD A THING. I vote for the second option.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 1, 2013

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Its not worth the extra gold and damage in your case, and we need to keep those npcs rotating :black101:

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

#2 It'll let some of the squishy low level characters actually gain some and allow us to see more than one or two lines of their mod dialogue rather than risking then dying twenty feet out the door of the inn and us not seeing them for ages.

Tossing on the ring of fire resistance or flameshield and standing away from the party mitigates most of the summoning problem.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

The system has worked well so far and we have had a fair bit of exposure to all the NPC's. While the bury option you provided for 3 was tempting, your formidable mate Shar-Teel is already gone forever making it pointless. Option 2 is tempting, but others have given good reasons against it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ProfessorCirno posted:

I can see #2 costing a fair amount of gold in the long run on top of the already rising costs of resurrections, and I rather like cycling through characters - the way XP works, the really low level guys seem to gain levels rapidly enough to not be that much of a burden after two or three fights, and it lets us look at ALL the different kits, mods, characters, and all that poo poo. While #2 would let us see those characters for long, it still has the issue of costing a lot of gold, which could, funny enough, end up making the game harder for you then anything else.
The option isn't going to be any more expensive in the long term. You're still always resurrecting a character whenever they die, the only difference is that if, say, Xzar now has a life expectancy of ten minutes he will now have to be resurrected six times within one continuous hour of play instead of six times within the first ten minutes of six different updates.

Example: say Alice dies, and Bob would be next in line.

Old process: back to town, pay to rez Alice, go back and continue the update with Bob. If Bob dies, rinse and repeat only this time with Bob and Carol.

Option 2: call the sentry, pay to rez Alice, continue the update. If Alice dies, rinse and repeat.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
1. Keep things the same. It's funny to watch Syvishtar desperately try to finish a tough encounter with 1/3 of the party left alive, too.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
2, Raise and rest. Same goes for when we get a Cleric high enough level to raise dead.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Vorgen posted:

Jaheira is injured, but I make sure she's okay.

Dynaheir and Jaheira bring down the pain with their respective wands.

Kharaz dies a woman, to the combined Flamestrike and Lightning Bolt of Dynaheir and Jaheira. He was wearing Bala's Leather +4.
Viconia, not Jaheira.

Vorgen posted:

I worry about our ability to sustain this type of onslaught. I want to get this over with. So I send Finch ahead to scout. She eventually finds what looks to be the leader of this invasion.
Alora, not Finch.

Also, what about a fourth option, kind of a 2b: We raise any fallen party members immediately, but only once. If they die again before returning to town, too bad. They still get swapped out at the end of the quest, even if they died just that one time.

I don't mean to complicate things but having access to this new ability does sound... complicated.

edit to insert my actual vote: Option #2, for reasons others have stated.

utonium fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 31, 2013

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

#1. When has Syvishcharname ever taken the soft option?

Quarter Past Ten
Jan 17, 2012

When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?

It's interesting to see how Vorgen goes about the battles when the party is constantly changing.

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
Option #2

This is essentially what we'd probably have to start doing once the clerics got Raise Dead anyway, it just costs us money in the meantime.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Option #2. and thanks for jumping right back in the saddle like this, maybe we can get done with that list by new year!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Option one.No point on fixing what isn't broken, as far as I can see.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
As much as I like option 2, I'm going to have to go with Option 1.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

kaiten80 posted:

Option #2

This is essentially what we'd probably have to start doing once the clerics got Raise Dead anyway, it just costs us money in the meantime.

It doesn't even cost any more than it would normally at any temple. I'm all for cutting down on travelling time.
Voting #2

Joeno
Sep 8, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Option 2

Feels best just to keep things moving at a better pace.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Nuramor posted:

It doesn't even cost any more than it would normally at any temple. I'm all for cutting down on travelling time.
Voting #2

NihilCredo posted:

The option isn't going to be any more expensive in the long term. You're still always resurrecting a character whenever they die, the only difference is that if, say, Xzar now has a life expectancy of ten minutes he will now have to be resurrected six times within one continuous hour of play instead of six times within the first ten minutes of six different updates.

Example: say Alice dies, and Bob would be next in line.

Old process: back to town, pay to rez Alice, go back and continue the update with Bob. If Bob dies, rinse and repeat only this time with Bob and Carol.

Option 2: call the sentry, pay to rez Alice, continue the update. If Alice dies, rinse and repeat.

...It costs money to use the teleport :v:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Serifina posted:

Khalid's seriously gaining HP like crazy. Not what I'd call a powerhouse yet, but he's definite a wall of meat. Good thing, too, since he turns chicken at the worst drat times if he doesn't have enough HP.

I think it might be because of the CON-boosting items that he's wearing.

utonium posted:

Viconia, not Jaheira.

Alora, not Finch.

You know, I can understand mixing up Alora and Finch because they're both tiny, but I don't understand why I keep mixing up Jaheira and Viconia. I've been doing that the whole time.

And it looks like we're almost completely finished with the mod content that we have access to. We don't have any choice but to continue with the main plot in the city. I'd say we're about 75% done with Baldur's Gate!

ProfessorCirno posted:

...It costs money to use the teleport :v:
We wouldn't be teleporting to raise anyone. The Vault Sentry is a priest himself, and we would summon him and pay him directly to resurrect dead party members. Instead of us going to the temple, the temple can come to us now. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear in the update. The Vault Sentry is a temple.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 1, 2013

stille
Oct 9, 2012
You're probably confusing them because they were both romanceable NPCs in BG2 ;)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

NihilCredo posted:

Oh, and I'm going to guess that the "gem of kings" that gets burned for the teleport was a diamond, since nothing else in the default gem list seems to fit. Try checking that in the before/after saves.

I was thinking it was a King's Tear.

e: Also, Option 2. It's basically just an expensive access to a character with Raise Dead, so you can keep them around for the rest of the fight and then rotate along at the end of the quest.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 1, 2013

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

It doesn't cost anything to summon the Vault Keeper, it only costs money if you want him to teleport the party to some location.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ghuh no no I'm dumb, I completely skipped over or forgot that bit.

Vote changed!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Vorgen posted:

It doesn't cost anything to summon the Vault Keeper, it only costs money if you want him to teleport the party to some location.

Does he not charge for the resurrection still? :confused:

Either way my vote for how we handle resurrection and such stands.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Yes, the resurrection does cost the normal 800 gold or less.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Well, the votes are in:

code:
How should we deal with the dead in our party now that we have access to instant resurrection via the Vault Keeper?

1. Keep things the same		...........
2. Raise but still Rest		...............
3. Vote each time		.
Looks like we're going to be resurrecting people immediately when they die, but then kicking them out at the first opportunity.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

8 Flamerule, 1370

Well, we're back in town now.

It has been several long months of trekking around the Sword Coast. I think it's time to stick around here for a while. Check things out in the city. Tell Entar Silvershield his son is dead.

But Entar remembers us, still!

We run away upstairs. For some reason I feel like someone should be told. I'd want Imoen to know if I ever died...

Madam, I bring gave news. In my travels, I came across a raided caravan... and the body of a young man, dressed in Silvershield colors. The bandits who killed him had this clasp.

Then Eddard is dead? That is grievous news. Give me that pin - I shall keep it in memory of my dear, dear step-son...

Gameplay note: We get 1500 xp for that.

We look for an alternative way out, and end up in some young woman's room.

We're house cleaners.

Help! The estate is under attack! Help!

Guards immediately show up in the room. Crap!

Thankfully I have another Invisibility Sphere ready, and we disappear at the last second!

The Silvershields really do not like visitors, do they?

Not even the gardener likes us!

I care not for the feelings of your petty surface liege. I walk where I wish.

Gah! Cads and bounders! Have ye no appreciation for how much toil a garden can be?!

Cads and bounders! Haha! I wish I would have heard that phrase earlier, I might have named us all that, instead of the Golden Company.

Then I remember another thing that I was going to do, before I got sidetracked with all that adventuring outside the city. I was going to help that paladin guy find a little girl's parents. A little girl he had killed, wasn't it? I was looking for a house near the entrance to the Duchal Palace. A few minutes of wandering through city streets, and I'm back on the hunt.

How did I miss the Duchal Palace before? We start our house-to-house search by entering the house closest to the palace gate. It hardly matters that the door is locked.

I assume that the woman crying in front of the fireplace is Luisa's mother.

Luisa? Was she your daughter?

That is what she was... Have a look at my husband, who restlessly wanders these rooms. He has lost his mind.

I talked to the paladin that killed your daughter.

Yes, poor Sir Dauron...

"Poor Sir Dauron?" That doesn't sound as if you think he is capable of what happened.

We mourn her death endlessly, but I also feel sorry for the paladin.

From what Sir Dauron said, some mighty evil power was involved.

Did he tell you that? What did he say?

That your daughter was possessed by a demon.

Please, I beg you! People are so upset already! Do not keep saying that our child was indeed possessed by a demon... I am deeply thankful to Sir Dauron he never used that excuse to defend himself against the accusations addressed at him.

What exactly did happen?

It all started with Luisa... Our daughter suddenly developed magical powers. Strong magical powers. At the beginning we thought she finally turned out to be a sorceress...

But the powers became too powerful, too dangerous... and she turned evil. My poor baby... The demon took over her mind, like a mold takes over a loaf of bread.

My husband, who is wandering the house in search of his memories, no longer recognizing me as his wife, lost his mind due to the changes. Sir Dauron came to help us. All involved were sure the demon took the place of our child, like some foul doppleganger, but after he... killed her, there was nothing but our little girl. We heard a horrible laugh. Sir Dauron turned all white. He lost his honor while trying to save us from this horrible creature.

Do you think I am not mourning for my daughter? I miss my little baby... but she... she was goe long before her body was slain. She turned into a monster. Why does Sir Dauron have to carry such a heavy burden, when he only tried to help us?

You heard a laugh? Do you mean the demon could be still here somewhere?

Sir Dauron's comrades of the Order searched the city, but they did not find a trace of it.

That's horrible. We will see what will come out of it.

I had to tell it to somebody I guess. Please, leave us now.

I know exactly what it is like to carry a heavy burden. I do not carry the weight of a dead child on my shoulders, but of many dead friends. And probably more still to come. I know how futile it is for Sir Dauron to seek rest. There is no rest for those like us - the harbingers of death.

On the way back, I do a lot of thinking. This isn't the first time I've heard of a child spontaneously developing magical powers.

I talked to Luisa's mother. She said you helped them defeat the demon.

Helm's blessing for the poor woman. I am thankful she does not bear any feelings of hatred towards me.

Why is it that there is nobody from the Flaming Fist chasing you?

Gameplay note: Obviously because he got to a temple and donated a couple thousand gold real quick-like!

The relevant people know what happened. There is no need for further actions, Helm be thanked. The situation is under control. There is no sign of the demon left in the city... otherwise I wouldn't still be standing here. *sigh*

I am not sure whether I am content with this situation. If the city authorities, at least, would make me bleed for what I did... But this allows me to atone for the things I did, and atone I will.

I had a strange encounter in the city. A nanny from Luskan spoke of a child who had developed great magical powers.

That... sounds exactly like what happened to little Luisa. From Luskan, you say? Maybe I have a chance of meeting that women here in Baldur's Gate, so she can give me more detailed information. Can it be that the demon fled to Luskan? I will find him. I will defeat him! This time I will be better prepared and will save the child's life!

I thank you! This information is most valuable to me. All I can offer you in return is the true thankfulness from the bottom of my heart. Helm's blessing be upon you. You have given me new hope. Luisa was killed by my hand, but I will find this monster and save other children. Maybe... Just maybe this will be sufficient so I can regain my honor.

Gameplay note: His true thankfulness is worth 250 xp for us.

So the paladin thinks he can get rid of his guilt by going on a quest to try to right the wrongs he has done. Hrm. There might be something to that. Maybe if I went off somewhere, some day, to find myself, I'd be able to get a bit of peace. Maybe.

Then I go outside and try to disperse the crowd. Seems like they've already forgotten all about Sir Dauron, though.

Hmm, Sarevok the foster son, eh? I didn't know he was a foster son too. And he seems to be on everyone's mind today.

Hey... nobody in this town is plotting to marry ME. I'm a little jealous. Not that I want to get married, haha! Just, you know, the thought would be nice.

Alora seems to flit in and out of my awareness. Probably because she's so short.

But Alora isn't falling for this one.

Tell your master Jardak that we want to talk to him right away.

Jardak will not see anyone... especially not a bunch of hooligans. Well, lest I seem rude, I had better introduce myself. My name is Drelik. Now that you know my name, I can guiltlessly go about the task of cleaning up the mess you've made, which incidentally includes removing you from the premises.

Then he attacks!

Alora tries to knock him out, but is quickly overwhelmed... by magic!

She runs screaming out of the house and tells me of the horrible man who tried to burn her to death. That won't do.

That won't do at all.

When I enter, he throws Magic Missile at me. I hold up my hand, and the Missiles bounce off of it.

Then, I calmly read my favorite line from the Holy Book of Rhialto, and strip the Weave from this pretender.

He turns to run, but I throw chaos blades into his back.

He has a minor sequencer prepared, and disappers from in front of me.

Cheap trick. I cast Detect Invisibility.

The Weave is behaving quite nicely today. I smile a full smile. I try to throw some missiles at him, but it can't just stay cooperative like that, can it?

Then, after a few more missteps, I finally get something good.

This looks more like a lava elemental than a fire elemental.

This punk did not know who he was dealing with.

That'll teach him to bully halflings! I escort Alora upstairs. I want to find this Jardak.

There he is. Employer of murderous thugs!

Who are you, and where did you get that cool armor? Hmmm, at least you have better fashion sense than your butler.

You don't understand the gravity of your situation. Stinking brigands, draw steel so that we might fight to the death!

Why I oughta!! Here, fight a djinni, you bastard!

Jardak goes all out, drinking potions and swinging away.

When the djinni calls an elemental to his side, I know the fight is over.

But I am the one to get the killing blow. Woohoo!

Dude had some pretty good Sunstone Bullets +3, a Sling +2, the Boots of Grounding, and a +2 katana.

Alora seems kindof off-put by the whole experience. What, does she not like djinni or something?

When we get back outside, I motion to the next house and ask her if she wants to check that out too. But she just looks at the ground and shakes her head. Probably got burglary-shy, poor thing.

Our wanderings around the city eventually lead us back to the gate between the inner city and the outer city.

I remember late one night meeting the Section One operative here that I had failed to kill. And I remember that she had told me there was an evil greater than Section One in this city, in the southeast of this area, if I remember right. Well, no time like the present to check it out!

The peasants haven't heard any rumors, but they do know us!

I get Alora to unlock one of the likely doors, and we are in.

... into someone's house.

Ok, how about in here?

Eh, maybe not?

Ok, its definitely gotta be here.

Great.

Well, I'm out of ideas. What else can we do?

Gameplay note: Well, ladies and gentlemen, unless I can figure out how to fix the problems I'm having with the Wood of the Dead or track down the Oversight base for the Section One mod, we have no choice but to advance the main plot. Exciting!

I guess we could always investigate the Seven Suns trading coster.

Whoa! This place is fancy!

We wanted a tour.

Unfortunately, I cannot grant any of your desires, so could you kindly leave.

Not until we get to see Jhasso.

I don't know where he is. He's been missing ever since everything went strange. I've seen some of the other merchants change faces when they thought I wasn't looking. Yes... you heard me right, they changed faces! Some sort of shapeshifters have infiltrated the Seven Suns. If I were you, I'd get out of here while there's still time. That's what I'm planning to do.

And then he waddles away. That sounds really freaking creepy. I gotta get a second opinion.

Got my face. GOT MY FACE?! There is NO WAY I'm giving a potential shapeshifter my name AND my face.

My name is my business. I'm not here to exchange pleasantries.

If you wish silence, then we ask the same of you. Bother us not.

Oh. Good point. Maybe I'm being a little paranoid?

I did not object to the sound of your voice, merely the words you sought to form with it. Come, now, and provide me with information more to my liking.

Your wit shall be your coffin and every jest a nail. Come, my brothers. If they have not found us out by now, it will not take them long. We should not suffer fools so gladly when this much as at stake.

And then they both... change.

Uh... what? That other guy was right?

The monsters die quickly, but not before fully awakening my paranoia. They can change shape whenever they want!

Upstairs, there are more of them!

Kagain cuts them down quickly, but for some reason it doesn't seem to help.

THEY COULD BE ANYONE!!

And why does this place only have two floors?

I have GOT to tell someone. The leader of the Flaming Fist, right? Yah, yeah... unless he's already one of Them. I will have to watch. I will have to be vigilant.

We go back outside, and are accosted by a thug in armor.

What would he have to say to me? Why do I need him?

I do not presume to say you need assistance. I merely meant to point you in a helpful direction. Making waves within Baldur's Gate without the sanction of the Flaming Fist can only lead to trouble for all concerned. Scar awaits you at the Flaming Fist headquarters in the southwest quadrant of the city.

OH. Ok. Scar is the leader of the Flaming Fist, I think. Right? Let me go talk to him.

Some day I want the Golden Company to have a headquarters like this. But, uh, different on the inside. Definitely better than cells.

According to one of the merchants we met, the Seven Suns has been infiltrated by some sort of shapeshifter. I don't know what kind of monsters they are, but the merchants are fearful.

This is very serious news. I must ask you another favor. If you were to return to the compound and destroy this infestation of monsters I would be willing to double your wage.

Sure we can go back, but the reward better be worth it.

I must thank you once again; you're doing a good service to this city.

I have a horrible thought. Could there be more shapeshifters that I haven't already killed? I go back and check. But nope, there are none that I can see. Except, why are those commoners hanging around so close to the front door?

Dare I attack them? What if they're only human? GAH! I guess I had better go back.

We don't think we would be able to defeat all of the dopplegangers.

That's understandable; the creatures you have described are a very dangerous breed, IF they are the monsters I think they are. You'll still get an extra 1000 gold, and you need not worry about retaliation from these creatures. I'll be sending in a detachment of the Flaming Fist to deal with them. Unfortunately, using these kind of strong-arm tactics on the cities' premier merchant coster will bring down a lot of trouble on my head.

I have another job you may be interested in. You'll be will paid for your services. Care to hear more?

We're always interested in more work. What does it entail?

The problem is this: Every night people have been disappearing from the streets of the city. My men have been scouring the city trying to find the culprit, but so far to no avail. People have begun to get scared, and very few are willing to leave their homes at night. Something has to be done and fast. Would you be willing to take the job? I'd pay you 150 gold in advance with a 500 gold bonus if you discover what's been happening with the disappering citizens. What do you say?

We agree to your terms.

Your job is really simple; all I want you to do is patrol the east of the city and find an entrance to the sewers. Perhaps you'll get lucky and find out what's been happening. If you do find out what's been happening, come to see me at the Flaming Fist barracks. Our only clue so far has led us to the sewers, so if you want to explore them first, it would probably be a good idea. Also, we've found tracks of some many-legged creature, perhaps a centipede-like monster.

Well, okay then. This dovetails into that other thing I had on my list of things to do, which is to explore the sewers. Good then.

We head on out to the east side of the city.

Lets see... sewer entrance, sewer entrance. Aha!

Lets go see what is down here, shall we?

Disgusting. Yet intriguing! I've always read that things HAPPEN in sewers, ya know? Literarily, I'm in an excellent position. We decide to explore northeast first.

I let Dynaheir test out her new spell on the rats.

She follows my advice on how to best use Aganazzar's Scorcher.

By the time it is done, she has gotten all of the rats.

I give her an enthusiastic thumbs up. Go Dynaheir!

There is a ladder up here. I decide to check out where it leads.

We pop up in the northeast edge of the city, just where I expected we would be.

Cool!

Southeast is a dead end.

West has a gate.

The place where I first climbed down into the sewers is infested with phase spiders when I get back.

Eh. No big deal. Southeast, there is another ladder.

Which leads to the southeast section of the city.

Gameplay note: These sewers are more convenient to travel around because one map connects all of the sections of the city. Or, at least they would be, if you couldn't travel to any section of the city from any other section of the city. Maybe it was that way in the original Baldur's Gate? I don't know, I've only played BG1 in the BG2 engine.

Now that I'm getting the hang of this place, I speed through the tunnels. There are a few monsters down here, but nothing compared to what I've been dealing with lately. That is, until I reach a confluence of many tunnels.

My pets, kill these intruders.

This guy obviously didn't get the memo 'bout Gullykin.

The s-stench... all the blood and these m-m-mangled b-bodies... I c-c-can't...

Let us p-put an end to this horrible m-monster... he m-must be stopped!

I think NOT!

Dynaheir skillfully uses another Scorcher, while the rest of us get into position.

I give them the memo 'bout Gullykin.

But then someone I really did not expect makes an appearance.

Jenkal?! The little hobbit who was in league with the ogre mage? Here?!

But I don't have time to worry about that now. In the chaos of battle, Dynaheir gets separated from the main party, and the Ogre Mage chases her down a corridor.

Things are not going to great with the Glyph of Wild Magic either.

Kagain gets Dire Charmed by the wild magic I think, but Viconia re-charms him back to our side. Also, the ogre mage casts Power Word Sleep on Dynaheir.

The ebb and flow of battle eventually finds us wailing on the ogre mage in an enclosed space. Jenkal falls, and then his master does too.

The ogre mage has a Ninja-To +2, and Manual of Quickness of Action.

Gameplay note: +1 dex! Woot! Who should we give it to?

Jenkal had nothing. What kind of fool goes up against us with no magical equipment?

Ooh, this is pretty scary, isn't it? I mean, I'd be scared without the rest of you.

In the extreme northwest, we find the tunnel expanding into the darkness.

The whole place is pretty well laid out though.

We follow the tunnel, and eventually find ourselves at an intersection.

An intersection with dead bodies floating in the brackish water.

Not far away, we find a sewer cleaner team.

Should I tell them about the dead bodies? They'll find them soon enough... I decide against it and turn west. At the end of the hallway, an annoying, hyper voice speaks out.

I've killed so many of these, and few of them have talked to me. I'm kindof curious to know what it'll say.

Who exactly are your people?

My people are rulers of the deeps. Where your peoples wastes are sent, that where we thrive. Ratchild's tribe is stronger than all others. Ratchild's tribe trained to beat anyone... ANYONE. No one can stand up to Ratchild and tribe!

That's wonderful that you live down here where all of our waste is dumped. You should be real proud.

You underestimate Ratchild. Many have done so... even Harpers have done so. All have felt Ratchild's wrath!

And then, sadly enough, they attack. Must everybody try to kill me?

Don't they know how futile it is?

Oh, is that Ratchild? Huh, I didn't expect a divine caster!

Dynaheir is quick to take out the kobold next to her.

Viconia doesn't seem to underestimate them. She Flamestrikes Ratchild as he CALLS DOWN AN UNHOLY BLIGHT UPON US!

Whoa! This is serious! I cast a serious Fireball at the group of gathering kobolds.

And the battle is done. Proportionate response best response.

We continue to map the sewers. We find a few mustard jellies.

Not a threat.

Thy decency is refreshing when so many we meet are... lacking.

Your honesty is refreshing, but lace it well with tact.

We finish exploring this second major area of the sewers, and once again are prepared to trudge off into stinky darkness.

There are entirely too many dead bodies down here.

Haven't people heard of graveyards?!

A creepy thing happens next.

... drip of waterrr mingllles with the gurgllling of the dead... They have wanted you dead, you know!

... a talking slime. Mur'neth! He should be here!

Who are you and who are these shambling creatures that you surround yourself with?

Who amm I, whoo indeed... it has been so llllong since I had hideous fform and... and shape lllike you... Hah, in yourr mind, I see things I recognize therrre, a place you calllled home, once...

Candlekeep. Until this springtide it was the only place I had ever known.

Candlllekeep... I was therrre, wassn't I... Yes, when I wass in my younger forrrm, when I wasss a mage so proud offf my talllent, of my craffft... But I transcended that llong ago and llleft it behind... Rrrrgh, you havve awakenned an ollld hunger in me, a hunger for substance, chilllld! Come closer, that I might gorge myselllf on you.

WHAT?

NO!

YOU

CAN'T

EAT

ME!

Kagain and Khalid mop up.

One of the sewerfolk was carrying a dead rat. Disgusting.

I'm having second thoughts about going deeper into this sewer. But, maybe just exploring a bit more...

Your flesh! It's all green and alive and... and crawling! What has done this to you?!

Foolisch one, you mishtake a... schlopsche... a blesching for a curshe... schollpsh... What isss thish meagre flesch in the facshe of shusch terrific beauty? It isss Schlumpsha who hassh done thisch to me and you would be blesshed schould he grant you the shame privilege...

Sorry dude, I killed him already. He won't be granting anyone else this "privilege" anymore.

We turn the corner and can only say, "poo poo, eggs."

More giant spiders and mustard jellies get in our way.

Then if I'm correct, we should probably be able to climb up this ladder here and...

Yes, perfect! Right behind the Flaming Fist!

We go back to tell Scar we've been successful.

We learned that an ogre mage holed up in the sewers was responsible for all the disappearances. He had several carrion crawlers that would steal out at night to carry off random victims. The crawlers used their hapless prey as food, whilst the ogre mage took any valuables they might have.

You've done a good job and earned your bonus in full. Do you have any of the items possessed by the ogre's victims? I'm sure their families would like to have something to remember their loved ones. We know for a fact that the Sashenstar family lost a daughter to those creatures. She had a signet ring, a ring inset with a ruby.

I look through my gem bag. Oh, I guess we did pick that up.

Yes we did, we'll happily return it.

I recognize this ring. This belonged to the Sashenstars' daughter; she was among the missing, as well. I am certain that the family will want to have a proper burial for their daughter. Would you be willing to return to the sewers and retrieve the body? You may return it to me and I will break the news to the Sashenstars.

If it will help to becalm a grieving family, I will do whatever I can. I shall return the body to you.

You are a valiant person indeed. I will wait your return.

Ok. Alright. Back into the sewers. But how am I going to tell one girl's body from all the other dead bodies down here? Does Scar know that there are so many?

Ok, that is obviously not her. I'll just have to search for a child's body and... I guess... hope that it is her? Oh gods, what if I find more than one?

These are also males. Facial hair.

We don't find a female body anywhere, so I am feelinf somewhat relieved, when I notice something in a half-submerged bathtub that I had not noticed before.

It is, unfortunately, a female body in expensive clothing.

With heavy heart, I return it to Scar.

Yes, actually. Here you go.

You have done well, and perhaps now the Sashenstars will find some peace. Please accept this 1500 gold bonus for the return of the body. Anyway, I'm going to need some people to do some investigating of the Iron Throne. I'm just going to finish up some paperwork, then I'll be just outside the main doors of the Flaming Fist compound. If you wish to discuss the Iron Throne, just come talk to me there.

I take this opporutnity to look around the Flaming Fist headquarters some more. It actually kindof looks to be dwarf engineered.

Well, isn't that nice. You know, I actually have one of those right now...

I decide to get on the good side of the Flaming Fist. I offer it to him.

Gameplay note: WE get 400 xp and our reputation goes up 1 point!

Then I decide to take a look at what's in the cellar.

Looks like storage. Wait, are those chests over there?

I'm going to have to get Alora back down here some day. Then, because it has been a long day, and because Viconia is completely out of spells, we go to the nearby Inn to sleep until morning.

This turns out to be a bad idea.

We move as fast as possible to finish off the slimes before they kill anyone.

We take them all out, then I turn to the nearest person to ask what happened. Unfortunately he looks decidedly green.

I go look around for the barkeep, but I can't find him. Then the green, sickly-looking commoner bursts into chunks!

Ramazith! Isn't that the mage with the tower near the palace who wanted me to steal a nymph for him? Hmmm... I think I need to go have a little talk with my fellow mage about the abuse of the Weave. Some day. For now, though, I want to get on with investigating the Iron Throne. They have been behind most of my troubles this past year. I need to make them stop.

Gameplay note: Ok, we have another vote to make. Who should get the Manual of Quickness of Action? It is +1 DEX, and it can go to anyone in the Golden Company. Make your suggestions!

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 2, 2013

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Syvishtar should get all the manuals.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Vorgen posted:

Gameplay note: Ok, we have another vote to make. Who should get the Manual of Quickness of Action? It is +1 DEX, and it can go to anyone in the Golden Company. Make your suggestions!

Give it to Imoen; it'll boost her DEX from 18 to 19, moving her into the realm of really good stat bonuses.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yeah, the tomes go to the protagonist, surely?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Tax Refund posted:

Give it to Imoen; it'll boost her DEX from 18 to 19, moving her into the realm of really good stat bonuses.

Have to agree with this one, especially since she's going to be in the second game, right? Right? Wait, will changes actually carry over to the next game for the NPCs?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Imoen should get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Imoen is going to be unavailable for a really long time in 2 (once we get there that is), not to mention all the different party members we'll be going through. I say the tomes go to the main character .

• Locked thread