Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

JustJeff88 posted:

Okay, that makes sense - thanks. That kind of supports my experiments. Coran has had 100 Open Lock for a long time, and he hasn't failed to pick a lock in ages, but levels ago when I still had Imoen I failed to pick a chest about 8 or 9 times in a row (quickloading between each one) and then got it on the 10th go, so there has to be *some* random element.
In 2E, you had to roll beneath the percentage of the thief skill. Certain things, like your armor, the lock, the trap, etc, could give penalties. This is why you're allowed to get the skills above 100% - to show that you're so badass at it that even the most legendary of traps or locks are nothing to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Choronzons son posted:

A good tactic is to cast invisibility on your thief and have him slowly scout out the whole map, since
disarming traps doesn't break invisibility. You can also mark groups of monsters on your map.
Holy poo poo, really? I never even considered doing that. Vorgen, please do this, I can't bear to lose Will again.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Shei-kun posted:

In 2E, you had to roll beneath the percentage of the thief skill. Certain things, like your armor, the lock, the trap, etc, could give penalties. This is why you're allowed to get the skills above 100% - to show that you're so badass at it that even the most legendary of traps or locks are nothing to you.

Oh sure, I played 2nd edition to death, so I remember that, but video games do not always stick precisely to the rules of their Pen and Paper inspiration. 3rd edition introduced the idea of "taking 10" and "taking 20", but what I wanted to establish is if, in BG1, you automatically succeed if your skill is above the difficulty level of the lock/trap, or if you still have to roll for it. The latter makes no bloody sense, frankly, because if you have 100 Open Lock and try to open a lock that is, say, -80, you only have a 20% chance to do so and you theoretically only get one go.

I tried last night to do the Thieve's Guild quests that were featured in this thread recently. I was able to do the three artifacts quest no problem, but Narlen never shows up outside of the Sturgeon. It's not a big deal that I do these quests, but I'm a completionist and I really want to. If I knew the right flags to fiddle with, I'd use Shadowkeeper.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Damnit, I'm caught up now. I'm kind of glad I didn't go for a whole BWP install and cherry-picked a few NPCs in addition to simple tweaks and fixes. I haven't played through this since...crap about 13 years ago. It's nice to go through it again and remember just enough to allow for a good degree of nostalgia, and forgetting enough that it seems like a fresh game again. :unsmith:

I just finished going through Durlag's in my run and holy crap the traps in this dungeon are relentless. All kinds of nastiness all over the place with infinite triggers. I bet 2 votes on Imoen dying to physical damage trap.\

edit: words durrrr

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 18, 2013

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

JustJeff88 posted:

3rd edition introduced the idea of "taking 10" and "taking 20", but what I wanted to establish is if, in BG1, you automatically succeed if your skill is above the difficulty level of the lock/trap, or if you still have to roll for it.

As far as I'm aware the game is like 2E in that regard. There's no set "difficulty class" or automatic success. You roll against your base chance to perform a task with modifiers.

So if the traps in Durlag's actually apply 90% modifiers to be found (mother of God!), that means a rogue with 100% chance to find traps only has a 10% chance (per trap in range per 6 seconds) of finding a given trap in Durlag's.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Frontspac posted:

As far as I'm aware the game is like 2E in that regard. There's no set "difficulty class" or automatic success. You roll against your base chance to perform a task with modifiers.

So if the traps in Durlag's actually apply 90% modifiers to be found (mother of God!), that means a rogue with 100% chance to find traps only has a 10% chance (per trap in range per 6 seconds) of finding a given trap in Durlag's.

As far as I am aware it is exactly as you say, and would explain a 100%+ rogue overlooking everything, stepping forward and getting the party gibbed, thus adding to the legend of Durlag and his Tower. Also a continent's worth of quicksaves.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Hi Vorgen.

I'd just like to say thank you for ruining my sleeping schedule and wallet with this LP.

I'd never actually played Baldur's Gate before so I broke down and bought Baldur's Gate I and II with all related installable content from GoG.
(By the way, GOG.com is having a ridiculously amazing sale on the classic DnD games, go check it out before Sunday ends, 'cause it's nuts.)

But seriously, I love this LP and I think you're very good at getting inside Syv's head and I enjoy seeing what you do with the character.

(Some of Xan's romance dialogue made me want to puke.)

And I'd like to also say that Cythreal and "Dr. Suess" are amazing.

Now, after I caught up on over a year's worth of posts I look forward to your next update and need to go catch up on some sleep before I start sounding more like Edwin.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

DreamingofRoses posted:

(By the way, GOG.com is having a ridiculously amazing sale on the classic DnD games, go check it out before Sunday ends, 'cause it's nuts.)

drat, you weren't kidding. :stare:

http://www.gog.com/promo/dnd_gems

10 games for $26 total. I think I paid more than that for each one of these when they first came out, and I never even opened the boxes of a few of them (I'm looking at you, Temple of Elemental Evil).

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Replaying BG1 and 2 using the BGT mod thanks to this thread.

Going to try a solo Mage/Thief run. I'll be nice and bring Imoen to the Friendly Arm before kicking her to the curb.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
So what's happening?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Sorry, just been a bit busy. I've got some free time tomorrow so I'll try to post up something for the weekend.

On a completely and totally unrelated note, did you know that Skyrim has a hard limit of 250 mods? What a disappointment that turns out to be...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Vorgen posted:

Sorry, just been a bit busy. I've got some free time tomorrow so I'll try to post up something for the weekend.

On a completely and totally unrelated note, did you know that Skyrim has a hard limit of 250 mods? What a disappointment that turns out to be...

You're just a glutton for punishment when it comes to modding games.

...If you're handy with the construction set, you can safely merge smaller mods together and bypass the 250 mod limit :rms:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vorgen posted:

If you get TESVEdit, you can merge some mods together, and thereby sneak around that limit...

stille
Oct 9, 2012

Vorgen posted:

I'm impressed it even runs with 250 mods. I think mine was grumbling at ~100 mods.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

It's not, really. I can barely play it. This is the same problem I had with Morrowind, and Oblivion. I get all excited about it, try to get into it, throw in a bunch of mods for it, then get frustrated when they don't all work together and end up not even finishing the game. I mean, you can't go back to vanilla when you've been promised rainbows and wild horses... (literally, those are two mods I've installed).

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

22 Eleint, 1370

I felt like we were going the wrong way down that hallway with the stairs and the dead, so I led us back here, to the main room. So that's where we find ourselves.

There is a helmet sitting in front of a kind of throne. We should probably check that out.

Imoen cautiously approaches.

She picks up the helmet, and knows what it is. She tell us that it is Kiel's helmet.

Then, again, things start ... moving.

We are given another vision of what had happened, so very long ago.

Another form enters from a side passage. A leather-clad dwarf with a bow. But the first figure keeps speaking.

A third figure enters from the other door. It looks like a caster of some sort. But the tableau is not yet played out.

Then the fake Durlag turns and casts upon us. It is Cloudkill!

Thankfully one of the doors, the one to the torture room that we already explored, is open. We all run through it to escape the room of death.

But one of the dopplegangers puts Branwen underneath its thrall before we even make it there! And Imoen panics and begins to run around.

I try to put together the pieces of a Dispel Magic spell, but I only get a Heal off.

Oh, so that's how that works? I wonder if I can do that on purpose sometime. It felt... right.

But I can't think about that now. I have to dispel things!

Woot! It worked!

And Finch is quite proud of herself when she is able to take out the last doppleganger.

Actually, that may not be the last one. We hear sounds of strangled breathing coming from the main room.

Is the main doppleganger choking on his own mist? Good riddance, if so. We wait.

We only go back into the room once the cloud has cleared.

Imoen takes him out.

And there is another! He manages to pull off the fear/charm combo that they are quickly becoming famous for.

I throw my highest spell-like something at him. A huge green ball forms in front of me and speeds towards him!

I have very high hopes for this spell, but it disappoints. It hurts the thing, but doesn't completely destroy it. Hrm.

I'm pretty sure that my djinni is going to take care of business, though, so I sit back and watch the magic unfold.

I get kindof upset, though, when Finch kills my djinni!

And then she comes after me! I quickly cast some Mirror Images to evade her attacks.

And Imoen, with her magical bow, takes out the final doppleganger.

We all run around avoiding Finch, then, until she comes back to her senses. She is a persistent little bugger though. I'm glad she's usually on our side!

With that taken care of, we decide to check out what's on the right side of the throne room. Imoen goes first, of course.

She finds a control panel and a strange wheel. What's all this now?

With a flick of a button she is able to open a nearby door.

Does this mean that the system is not automatic? Did Durlag set this whole thing up to be run by dopplegangers? Or did the dopplegangers set this place up as a monument to their success? This raises a ton of new questions.

Imoen decides to explore the hallway beyond the control room. She looks for traps, and finds a big one.

She says this is a particularly nasty trap, and would have crushed anyone walking up to it.

Gameplay note: Yeah, no joke. I'm just puttin' this next image up for reference:

Gameplay note: It is a whole wall on a giant spring. SQUISH!

She finds another trap in the next room, and moves to disarm it.

Then she finds more.

This is connected to Durlag's wife's room. So is this like her trophy room?

Maybe so. Judging from the equipment we found in her place she could have easily killed all these wyverns.

There looks to be a set of double doors on the far wall, so we open them.

There are two Furnebols and an Islanne in this room!

The most horrible part of doppleganers, I think, is that with their Dire Charm abilities, you never know if who you are fighting is a doppleganger or the real thing, charmed. What must it have been for Durlag? Worse than hell, I think.

My team rushes in. I try to support them, but I don't think it goes right.

Jet'laya takes care of one of the Furnebols. I try to cast more magic.

At last I'm able to summon a djinni who is willing to give me a wish in combat.

A repeatable wish.

Choose then, but be aware that unwise wishes shall leave the wisher wanting.

I wish that spells I have cast would be restored, that I might cast them again!

Then I shall grant your wish and restore some of your lost spells.

When he says "you" he means the entire party, because his magic envelops us all!

With some of our spells restored, the party goes about casting many different things. I call on the Weave to aid me again, and come up with Project Image.

Jet'laya calls down a Holy Smite upon the dopplegangers in the room.

My Projected Image goes crazy with the random spells, throwing things left and right.

I can't even keep track of all the magicks flowing out of my fingertips. I just keep them going as fast as possible - this Image won't last forever!

I summon gnolls to aid me, and immediately kill them with a Cloudkill.

I kill another doppleganger and have elementals working with my Image to take on another when I realize that Branwen is dead. Is that ... could that have been me? I don't even know.

I pull the remaining Golden Company back and check out what's going on with the battle. The whole area is inundated with a Cloudkill. I've got one fake Durlag pinned down by elementals and spiders, and another fake Kiel free. The free fake Kiel casts Gust of Wind and dissipates my Cloudkill! Wow!

Gameplay note: I've never seen the AI use a spell so intelligently. That's pretty awesome.

I send Finch, Jet'laya, and Imoen to engage the smart fake Kiel. My minions are still going after Durlag on the other side of the bridge.

Jet'laya kills the fake Kiel with a strike from her Mace of Contrition.

And, after my Projected Image introduces a Teleport Field into the mix, Finch is the one to kill the fake Durlag.

I see a little cubbyhole in one corner of the room, so I eagerly see whats inside. I should have checked for traps, because a Fireball comes out and hits the entire party!

And then another! and another!

The Fireballs just keep coming and coming. Jet'laya and Finch are both almost dead by the time we get out of there.

So... now we're down to four. Branwen and Will are both dead.

There has got to be an end to this place, hasn't there? I will find it even if it kills the rest of us!

The corpses in the hallway really give away the traps.

Of course Imoen can't really find any traps next to the corpses...

Instead, she finds a body, watched over by strange automatons.

A book lies next to the bier. Imoen picks it up and reads it.

So he lasted this long, did he? Not bad, not bad at all, to fight his way all the way from the throne room to this point. He must have killed a lot of buggers along the way.

Imoen calls us all in and we go past the Doomguards, to a room I've seen before in a vision.

Finch picks up and reads the book at the top of the stairs.

So, its either going to be the Doomguards, or some undead. I think we should take on the Doomguards first.

But as I walk into position to cast my first spell, I step on something and a door moves.

It is yet another secret passage leading to yet another staircase and yet another book.

I pick up the book.

Huh. Interesting. So down this staircase is Durlag's madness? I'll put that on the agenda.

But first, we're going to loot the corpse of his son.

The Weave first decides to give me a djinni servant.

Then it decides to let me arrange some spells into a sequencer.

The third spell is when the battle truly begins - with a stun.

My spell sequencer doesn't seem to do much.

Somehow ice starts falling from the sky. I do not know if this is because of me or my enemies.

The Weave gives me a selection of enchanted weapons, gives armor to the Doom Guard near me, but also summons an air elemental to do my bidding.

I choose Arrows, incidentally, and receive 40 of these:

Then it happens again, and I choose a quarterstaff.

My next spell gives me more magical minions. Good, I guess?

My djinni, previously hurt a lot by combat, finishes regenerating as a ball of gas and re-enters the fight!

Finch is seriously injured by something or other, and needs to heal.

Even though she is slowed considerably by the ice and snow of the blizzard, she manages to retreat and heal herself, even though she is pursued by a doom guard.

We have quite a lot of minions in the fight, so I decide to regroup my main force and see how things go without us. No need to spill more Golden Company blood, right?

One of the Doom Guards falls to an air elemental, and the rest swarm on to its companions.

The djinni casts Haste, which affects both himself and all of his summoned creature companions. Excellent move!

Another Doom Guard goes down, and now there is just one left.

The djinni goes off to regenerate once again, and the air elementals hold the line until it comes back, fresh and new, and casts Lightning Bolt at the remainig Doom Guard. It falls.

Awesome!

We move in to loot the bodies and clean the place up, when several undead simply appear out of nowhere. They're on to us!

The clerics tear into the undead with a vengeance. This is what they were made for! Finch takes out the first.

She also runs around behind the second and takes it out too! Go Finch!

And the third falls to her relentless onslaught as well!

Remind me to never be around Finch if I ever become undead.

I send everyone else out of the room to loot the bodies. But as I do so, 3 more undead pop up!

I run back behind Finch and let her take care of business. And she does, quite quickly.

Once.

Twice.

And three times!

Then Imoen runs to the previous room with Kiel's body in it. She loots Kiel's Buckler, Kiel's Morningstar, Arla's Dragonbane, and a Wyvern Head Helm from the foot of Kiel's bier.

And then, I call it. We're not going down the stairs. We will go back to town once again and rest for a bit. Besides, we have Mur'neth and Kagain to pick up to replace our fallen.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 13, 2013

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Just to make sur,e Imoen didn't die right? You just purposefully showed us what the trap would do?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Arkeus posted:

Just to make sur,e Imoen didn't die right? You just purposefully showed us what the trap would do?

Yes, correct, Imoen didn't die. I noticed that I put the same screenshot there two times, so it looks like Imoen dies twice. But I corrected it. She's still alive. It is only Branwen and Will who have died.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Vorgen posted:

Yes, correct, Imoen didn't die. I noticed that I put the same screenshot there two times, so it looks like Imoen dies twice. But I corrected it. She's still alive. It is only Branwen and Will who have died.

It's like you don't want me to collect any points from the betting pool :argh:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Syvishtar, I think the weave is trying to tell you not to use Random Spell in enclosed spaces :ohdear:

Edit: Did you actually check what killed Branwen,or is it a mystery?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 2, 2013

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I didn't figure out what killed Branwen. I couldn't find her death in the log. It is truly a mystery.

edit: But I'm betting that it was melee combat with the dopplegangers. I didn't really cast any spells her way. Syvishtar just likes to blame himself for everything these days, maybe you've noticed he has a lot of guilt?

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 3, 2013

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That... that was an assload of completely random magic going on.

Random Spell is amazing :allears:

GrandHound
Jun 8, 2013

It Doesn't Matter If You're Alone.
Oh god. It took way longer than I ever expected it to, but I caught up. Vorgen, this is a great Let's Play and we love you forever for providing us all with it.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

GrandHound posted:

Oh god. It took way longer than I ever expected it to, but I caught up. Vorgen, this is a great Let's Play and we love you forever for providing us all with it.

Heh, thanks man. There ain't no party like a 2nd edition party.

I've been playing Skyrim finally for a bit but it just can't hold my interest, so I'm going to write up a new chapter of this Let's Play tonight. Probably done in about 12 hours. Let's see if we can't get horribly slaughtered by the end boss finished with Durlag's Tower tonight.

Hey, if I tried to turn this Let's Play into my ticket to online fame and fortune by moving it to a web site for all the ad revenue do you all think that would be a bad move or a good move? Also turning it into a webcomic, for or against?

Heh, just kidding about the webcomic part, I can't draw.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 13, 2013

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Vorgen posted:

Heh, just kidding about the webcomic part, I can't draw.

That has never stopped any from making a webcomic before.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Blasphemaster posted:

I bet 2 votes on Imoen dying to physical damage trap.

I just realized I hadn't put this on the poll yet, so I did. Here is the latest pool.

code:
*** GOLDEN COMPANY DEATH POOL ***

*** 1-factor bets, for x1 payoff ***

W2 AJ_Impy       - Xan dies 
W2 ETB           - someone dies by fireball trap

2 AJ_Impy       - Imoen dies
 3 ETB           - Imoen dies
 4 Linedance     - Finch dies
 5 Sammage       - Imoen dies
 2 Semi-mental   - Finch dies

L2 Haystack      - Mulgore dies
L1 Linedance     - Mulgore dies

23 total votes in the 1-factor pool

*** 2-factor bets, for x2 payoff ***

W4 Maugrim          - Xan dies first

2 Little_wh0re     - Finch killed by monsters
 1 Little_wh0re     - Imoen killed by Syv
 2 Little_wh0re     - Imoen killed by monsters
 3 loco88           - Imoen dies by trap
 3 Mountaineer      - Finch killed by uncontrollable ally
 2 Quarter Past Ten - Finch killed by Syvishtar(a)
 1 Slaan            - Finch dies by magic-user
 3 The Protagonist  - Imoen dies to uncontrollable ally
 1 Tithin Melias    - Imoen dies by trap

L2 Ghostwoods       - Xavia killed by undead
L2 loco88           - Syvishtar(a) kills someone first
L2 LucyWanabe       - Xan killed by monsters
L2 Quarter Past Ten - Xan killed by enemy
L4 The Iron Rose    - Somebody dies to Syvishtar(a) first
L4 Tithin Melias    - Imoen is first to die

37 votes in the 2-factor pool (74 vote possible win)

*** 3-factor bets, for x3 payoff ***

2 Blasphemaster    - Imoen dies to physical damage trap

*** 4-factor bets, for x4 payoff ***

L2 Ilyich           - Imoen dies, in 1st basement, by Fireball trap, fleeing from skeleton warrior

2 votes in the 4-factor pool (8 vote possible win)

*** 6-factor bets, for x6 payoff ***

5 Gharbad the Weak - Party wipe (each person dies is a factor, plus all in the same encounter is a factor)

5 votes in the 6-factor pool (30 vote possible win)

code:
***   VOTE ACCOUNT TRACKING   ***
(Unless noted below, you have 5 votes)

1 AJ_Impy
3 Blasphemaster
0 ETB
0 Gharbad the Weak
3 Ghostwoods
3 Haystack
3 Ilyich
0 Linedance
0 Little_wh0re
0 loco88
3 LucyWanabe
1 Maugrim
2 Mountaineer
1 Quarter Past Ten
0 Sammage
3 Semi-mental
4 Slaan
1 The Iron Rose
2 The Protagonist
0 Tithin Melias

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vorgen posted:

Hey, if I tried to turn this Let's Play into my ticket to online fame and fortune by moving it to a web site for all the ad revenue do you all think that would be a bad move or a good move? Also turning it into a webcomic, for or against?

I wouldnt blame you, a lot of work goes into this. Do you really think anyone who reads this doesnt use adblock though?

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
I turn my adblock off for sites I want to support, and I am sure others do, too.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Arp1033 posted:

I turn my adblock off for sites I want to support, and I am sure others do, too.
That I do. I mostly have it on to stop those annoying as hell flash based ads that start talking and making sound when they load.

Also, they like to give you viruses. gently caress those ads.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah, I have gotten an entire one infected flash ad virus ever and blacklisted ads on that site forever, no matter how much the placeholder pleads with me to whitelist them again.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

well, ads wouldn't be the entire focus of the site...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Apologies if I'm being overly cynical here, but blogs basically live or die by their update frequency, not to mention they don't get drive-by traffic from random parts of the internet like SA's Let's Play forum does.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Hehe, so are you implying that I should post an update?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Uhh, that wasn't my intention, but another update would be fantastic!

I was thinking that the amount of time and effort that it would take to get a blog up and running would be pretty big, especially on top of the LP and job or whatever. But what do I know? I just read the end result :v:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

27 Eleint, 1370

The trip back to the Elfsong Tavern is routine macabre. I still don't know what to do with or say to those who have died following me. Branwen is presumably used to this by now, but it was Will's first time. I really have no idea why they even do it. They're probably giving me looks when I can't see. Will probably suspects the worst things about me, now. Maybe the rest of them are even clueing him in. I'll have to ask Imoen later. But, wait, then she'll know that I know that they might Know. Better to not arouse suspicion. Better to keep silent. Better to keep it all on the inside.

Better also to get people to come with me who haven't seen me in a long time. Like Kagain and Mur'Neth.

You'll not "suffer" long if you keep up that attitude. Get in step Kagain, we've business to attend to.

Straight to the point, I respect that. Let's go.

Gameplay Note: Kagain is only level 6. Geez. Where are my heavy hitters? Do I even have any left this round?

Gameplay Note: I pump him up with all the weapons and armor I have. Hopefully it works. Funny thing - I put the elven chainmail on last and it didn't change any stats. it is functionally useless with all this other insane stuff we have on him.

And then I talk Mur'Neth into coming as well.

It seems your deity was right. Please, rejoin the party.

Gameplay note: And Mur'Neth is only level 4. This is why I chose the chapter title.

Gameplay Note: He's got some cool stuff too I guess.

Gameplay Note: Honestly equipping the new people each time someone dies is becoming the most tedious part of the game for me. I think I will propose changing policies to letting everybody keep their stuff when they leave the party simply because I don't want to have to juggle it all the time. Oh, also, the mule is completely full. No room left. I've started stashing things in random chests in the Elfsong Tavern.

Then we trudge wearily back to Durlag's Tower. On the way, I even talk up the experience. Say how far we've gotten. Don't mention the crazy, though. No need to mention the crazy.

One evening on the journey, Imoen asks a very pertinent question.

Never hurts to check up on your money. 'Specially when there be a thief in the party.

What?! Hey, that's not very nice. I don't steal stuff from my own comrades!

Wasn't Syvishtar's left boot missing the other morning?

Yeah, but that's just between me and him.

Anyway, that kinda stuff was all just pranks. You can't seriously think that I would steal for any malicious purpose!

Pranks or no, I keeps a close eye on me gold.

Heh, banter. I remember when I could do that. When everybody's soul wasn't weighing on mine own (The weak should perish).

Since we now have Kagain, I change the party formation. He leads a strong wedge, supported by Finch and Jet'Laya. The ranged attackers are on the back row.

It is a strong formation. I have high hopes for it (They're all going to die).

We walk past abandoned tables...

climb down empty wells...

traverse forgotten halls...

and I half-expect the newcomers to turn and run. But Kagain looks around in wonder, and Mur'Neth exhibits no emotions at all (Fools they are, but good for fodder).

We pass by the false exit with the undead waiting to rise. We go to the real exit, in which was left a book for us.

The book we still have. I ask Finch to show it to me again.

Yes. All that came before - that was not madness. Only now will we know Durlag's madness. Now, as we descend the stairs. I pray for no mirrors. Then we descend.

We reach a door at the bottom of the stairway. The door is closed, but I hear explosions behind it. Noises of fire, my old friend. I go up to open the door personally and peer inside.

A fireball goes off in this room periodically. It is as if the room is stuck in some sort of time loop, with the ever-expanding beauty of a purifying ball of fire playing over, and over, and over. I sit mesmerized. Then I notice the other doors in the walls. And then the bodies on the floor.

I step into the room myself. My Robe of Dh'arlo'me will protect me. I fear no Fireball. There are only minor valuables on the dead bodies. Slightly singed too. Meh.

On a whim, I decide to check out the leftmost door. It leads through a small hallway to a beautiful subterranean garden!

Amazing! I call for my companions to follow me here. They run one at a time, in between fireballs.

Kagain is the first. But when he arrives he shouts out "ghoul!"

These are fast. A second one rushes up to join the first. Crap!

Kagain manages to take out the first one, but two more show up! Thankfully, Jet'Laya shows up too.

I get hit, and cast Blur as a defensive measure. Finch shows up to the party.

Mur'Neth joins up just in time to get the attention of a Greater Ghoul. Attention that he simply cannot handle, it turns out.

Gameplay note: Dayum! Just one hit!

Why did I even bring anyone back with me? What was I thinking??

The rest of the party takes care of business.

I should stop using these inexperienced Golden Company members. They just invite death (They deserve it).

After we clean up, Imoen goes out to scout again. She finds that the place is all greenery and shrubbery. Also a little maze-like. Is this a subterranean hedge maze? I've always wanted to see one of those!

It is not a very friendly hedge maze, though. I'm a little suspicous that it may be trapped.

The skeleton was a clue.

Imoen thinks she can backtrack to find some more twists and turns, so I let her do so. She is ambushed!

I only have time to hear a little shuffling and scuffling behind the bushes, and then a short cry. No! Not Imoen!

Gameplay Note: Backstabbed by an Ashirukuru. What a way to go.

We all rush over to help Imoen, and on the way I cast Detect Invisibility. I find an Ashirukuru right in the midst of our party!

The little evil bitches try to become invisible again, but my magic keeps revealing them. They must know it is I who keeps them in sight, because they attack me personally.

You will all die for Imoen! All of you! With a snarl of anger and a rictus of fury, I lash out with my go-to spell at the nearest Ashirukuru. The Weave takes the snarl as a cue.

I am a hunting wolf, seeking out my prey. Yes. I will do this. While the rest of my party keeps the Ashirukuru in place, and while my magic keeps it visible, I lunge at its throat. I feel a satisfying crunch and the hot rush of blood.

I try to say something, but I only growl and shake automatically. But the prey is already dead.

So, Imoen is dead. Again. By my hand, pretty much. And now we've lost both a friend and our trap detector. Meh. Who cares. I go and sniff out the statue nearby. A fireball blows up in my face, but it doesn't hurt much.

There are goodies!

Potions of Master Thievery and Heroism, scrolls of Domination and Hold Monster. They all go in their respective pouches. There is also a battle axe, Ghoul Slayer, and another Tome of Understanding.

Kagain snatches that axe right up. And I take a look at the Tome. I liked the last one I read. I wonder what's in this one?

Kagain has a great chance to try out the axe around the next corner, as we find more ghouls to fight!

Finch does well against them. But I get a few bites in too.

I could get used to this predator's body. I don't mind being a wolf, at least not right now.

We step away from the corpses of our victims and trigger another Fireball trap. This time the clerics are somewhat injured.

I am finding it hard to concentrate on my companions. Finding it hard to care. They heal themselves or something while I anxiously respond to all the smells and sounds around me. I want to go forward, but Finch and Jet'Laya object. They say that it is simply not possible to proceed in such a trapped environment without a thief. They then share a look and nonchalantly suggest I wait until the the wolf spell has worn off, then think more clearly.

What are are they talking about? I am not sure, but try to humor them.

When the spell wears off, I remember that I can raise Imoen. I should do that.

With Imoen back in action, the clerics are much more relaxed. What, did they think I was going to rush off and ignore the traps in this place? (I should have. They can kill off the weak.)

Imoen makes herself invisible and goes back to retrieve her equipment.

She finds a few obstacles on the way, but nothing she can't handle.

After she gets back we have to deal with a new Ashirukuru. Great.

The one-two punch of Detect invisibility and massive melee damage save the day again!

This time when the Ashirukuru dies I notice some equipment on the corpse. I look it over - some Boots of Displacing and a Wakizashi +1?

Do the others have these? Have I been missing out on loot? Imoen goes back to check, and yes, she finds another set there. She takes them for the Golden Company's armory. Never know when we'll need to displace someone!

Imoen scouts around a bit and comes back to tell us that we're done with the maze.

Now, we can find out where this door goes to the south.

Imoen reports back that it's creepyweird.

Yep, creepyweird confirmed.

The talking, disembodied stone head is especially so.

But it isn't the only one.

The third one, though, I can agree with.

Fire solves all problems.

The fourth mask I didn't notice before, but it intones a more cryptic phrase.

Imoen does some scouting. Around the corner and down the hall is a skeleton!

One skeleton is not something that the girl really worries about these days. She obliterates it without effort.

But there is a second one! We all rush to help. There are traps and Fireballs and the whole mess is quite mayhem.

But a room full of skeletons and sleeping gas? It is not really a threat for us.

I imagine Durlag was thinking of someone weaker when he made this room. Or maybe it is a training room for boring Sunday afternoons. Perhaps a nursery for adolescent dwarves?

At any rate, I open the final door on principle.

Nothing of note happens.

We go back to the boring hallway and let Imoen scout ahead once more.

She finds four doors on one side of the hallway, and a final door at the end.

Of course she decides to open the door on the end first. Inside she finds bones, and a greater wyvern!

She attacks it in the manner to which she is accustomed.

And then she runs around the room until the cavalry arrives.

Finch deals the killing blow.

She is quite the powerhouse now. Go Finch!

The next wyvern must have watched how that fight went, because it almost kills Finch outright!

Thankfully she runs away and heals okay.

It also gets a few hits in on me before going down.

A third wyvern goes by the book, after taking some chunks out of Jet'Laya.

A couple of statues facing the same direction, and not towards us, tips Imoen off to possible basilisk presence.

But there is not a basilisk, but a skeleton. A talking skeleton.

I guess we should have gone this way instead of left.

So, not much different than the Elfsong Tavern then? The thought of revenge grips my heart, and it beats quickly. My chuckle freezes in my throat. What if they some day take their revenge on me? What if the Golden Company turns on me? What if they Find Out?

I can't bear to look at the statues any longer. I turn away.

Also, Mechezarin! What the holy weave! He was huge!

Gameplay note: Sadly enough this skeleton of a wyrm is larger than any dragon we ever fight. I kinda wish I could see a map-spanning monstrosity of a dragon in Baldur's Gate. It would be terrifyingly cool.

Okay, so, we killed everything in Durlag's bestiary. We killed his skeletons. We killed his assassins in the shrubbery maze. I guess the only rooms left are the ones back in the hallway.

Imoen checks out the first door, and finds that the hallway is quite long.

We decide to go down it together.

We find winter wolves and a polar bear in a room full of ice!

They are not hard to take out. Not hard at all.

There is nothing else in the room, so we leave and go to the next.

We find a room filled with bubbly green... junk.

We search it for clues as to what it should be. Eventually, we find a Fission slime.

I remember what the stone faces said. I tell everyone to stand back. What we need now is a FIREBALLLLLLL!!!!!

Ooh, what's this?

Eh, not exactly what I asked for, but whatever.

Ok, now time for a FIREBALLLLL!!!!!

Until this moment I did not know exactly how many bubbles there were in this room. Now I do.

Hrm.

Well, how about a FIREBALLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, that's... listen, guys, the stone head said fire, so, uh, can you just stand back a bit? Ok thanks.

FIREBALLLL!!!!

OH YES! Let us bathe in the blessed flames of purification and may all our sins be burned in its arcane fires!

And may the FIRESTORM that comes after burn away all vestiges of... ouch that hurts!

Okay that last part was overkill but hey the slime is dead so who's really counting at the end of the day when you get down to brass tacks and in for a penny in for a pound... of FIRE.

Mwahahahaha!

I leave that room in a good mood, and almost whistle as I skip down the hallway to the next.

I'm detecting a theme in these rooms. The first one was cold. The second acid. This one is earth... no, air?

Whatever it is, Kagain chops it in half.

Well, can't see anything else, we might as well call this room done and take off.

OH CRAP! Again with the invisible stalkers! There's something I want to try.

Ah ha! It works!

Finch calls down the pain.

And Jet'Laya brings down the Holy.

Finch gets double-teamed, and runs away to heal herself.

She does, and gets back into the fight, but gets injured again right away.

She runs all over the room trying to get away from the stalkers, and then stops to heal herself with a spell. But they catch up.

And our mighty and valiant gnome goes down. drat.

Gameplay note: Ok, that's Finch and Imoen both down to monsters.

I try to get in on the fight, but the Weave tells me to melee.

The stalkers coordinate their attacks, focusing on Imoen next. Jet'Laya tries to heal her, but cannot.

I shout out in rage again, and grasp my sword. I know how to use this now. I strike down the stalker!

And the next!

Jet'Laya almost dies, and retreats to heal. The stalker, sensing weakness, goes after her.

But Jet'Laya is not so weak. She turns and strikes down the final attacker.

Then the Vault Keeper and I have a little conversation.

2200 gold later, Imoen, Finch, and Mur'Neth are back. I figure Mur'Neth might be able to catch a trap to the face or something, and save one of us.

Then we decide to rest up in this cave of air. Compared to the rest of this level, this cave was murderous.

16 hours later, we are ready to face the final room!

Lets see, we did ice, and poison, and air. I bet this last one is fire!

Yep!

I know, Meta Infernum, I know.

I'm fairly confident that I can handle whatever this place throws at me. So we stride into the room and see...

Oh poo poo! These are the guys that Draer'Ragh summoned! They hurt! Keep it away, keep it awayyyyy!

It is as if the Phoenix Guard knew what exactly we were going to try do to it, because it drinks a potion of magic shielding right away. poo poo!

But for once, just once in my measly little life, the Weave helps me out. It drops a cow on the monster.

Gameplay note: 33 physical damage, suckas!

I keep throwing magic out as fast as I can, and the Weave lets me queue up a few things. I choose Stoneskin, Fire Shield Red, and Glyph of Wild Magic.

The first Phoenix Guard is knocked onto the ground by the force of my cow, and is also almost dead. Everyone else's magic bounces off of it harmlessly.

The second, female, phoenix guard is upon us, though. What shall we do?! I decide to ask the Djinni that I summoned.

I wish to summon a horde to overrun my enemies.

A horde? As you wish...

I pray that there will be enough bunnies to keep the Phoenix Guard busy.

But Kagain decides to take matters into his own hands, and cuts down the Phoenix Guard right in front of the party. Her death fireball washes over us all, and almost kills Mur'Neth right there.

There is still a Phoenix Guard next to us, too. We must be careful!

Also, all the bunnies are dead. They were too short for this world!

Then Imoen speaks up.

She must have noticed something that I didn't. I brace for, well, anything.

Her awareness costs her, though. The Phoenix Guard is after her!

We scramble to heal everyone again before taking out the last Phoenix Guard. We barely manage it, just in time to get Fireballed once more.

And then immediately, without warning or notice or fanfare, we are teleported away just as Imoen suggested. We find ourselves in another room entirely, and the air is eerily quiet. Then an ethereal voice begins to speak to us.

Gameplay note: I can never figure out how to play this game. It is quickly going to become a mad chaotic melee because the enemy NPCs don't care about the rules. Lightning will flow like a river.

I yell at everyone to switch to melee weapons and stay in your square. I try to rustle up some magic... when the entire opposing side comes rushing at us all at once!

We quickly succumb to our basic instincts. Mur'Neth melts into a puddle of goo. Jet'Laya and Finch cast Holy Smite. I throw random magic out at someone, anyone. I am almost blinded from the energy sweeping the room.

A few moments later, all the pawns are... gone? Not dead, just disappeared. My two summons are standing in the middle of the board and the opposing Knight is firing at us. Whaa?

I'm afraid to move from my square, not really understanding the rules, so I decide to peek at what's going on. I cast Wizard Eye at the center of the board.

There is... nothing. Did someone accidentally kill the king right away?

I see a pile of loot on the floor. I move over and look at it. It certainly looks like the kind of thing that a magical king in a game of chess would drop. I guess?

Some minor spells and potions and a Cloak of Displacement. I turn to my companions. I shout out with glee, "We won!"

We take a look around the room, but there's nothing really there of interest. So we decide to sleep and prepare for what may lie beyond.

Gameplay note: Ok, that's it for this level. But there is another whole level of content plus two boss battles left to do, so now is a good time to stop. We also have some voting to vote.

1. Who should get the Tome of Understanding? Anyone in the Golden Company is a possibility.

2. Should we start letting characters keep all the stuff they use, barring the Golden Company uniform? It would make the game slightly more challenging, which means slightly more possibility of character death.

Let me know your votes!

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 26, 2013

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012
Syv, yes

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Syv and yes.

Also, Vorgen, could you link to the who's next posts at the end of entries in which people die? I'm always curious who's next.

stille fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 23, 2013

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
Syv, always and Yes

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Syv and Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benjifer
May 28, 2012
Syv and Yes but you should probably give all the 'good' stuff to your better characters. The weaker ones will fall like flies, but the stronger ones would be better able to carry the party.

• Locked thread