Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

13 Mirtul, 1281

I hope we can find rest here. I hope they don't ask me to kill beetles in the basement.

We go in, weary and apprehensive.

Seriously lady, I am NOT in the mood. I head straight for the barkeeper.

A room? Sorry, but I can't help you, friend. Try the Evening Shade, 'cross town. The innkeeper's bound to have some rooms to let, and desperate to let them, too, since the passes aren't going to see any caravans for a while.

I'll go to the Evening Shade, then. Thank you.

A bar without any rooms? What the shiz? Okay, Evening Shade, Evening Shade, Evening Shade... oh wow, right under the tree's trunk!

We go inside. It is quite inviting.

Yeah, we got a little space left - but I don't want to hear any haggling over the prices, you hear? This is the only inn in town, so don't even be thinking you'll find a better deal anywhere else.

Very well, then. Let's see what rooms you have.

Eh, they're acceptable. Nothing fancy.

We fall into the beds nevertheless, and sleep the exhausted sleep of the truly drained.

In the morning, Dar asks me something.

Do I Dar? I was reflecting on the weariness of the road we tread, and how life was so much simpler in Candlekeep.

I know how you feel, Syvishtar. My life was also simpler when I was living among the priests of Ilmater. I felt safe there, but I think we all have to find our own way sometime.

What you say is likely to be true, Dar, but I cannot help wishing that I had been given more time to prepare for such a harsh road. When Gorion left so hurriedly, he left so many questions unanswered. Answers that I am still looking for.

I'm sure that in time, Syvishtar, all of your questions will be answered. Have patience, my friend.

Then, he moves on to raising Hrothgar from the dead.

Branwen goes about restoring us with her magics. But for some reason, she cannot do it to herself.

Dar says he can take care of things with a little more rest, so we stay here a bit longer.

While we are here, I strike up a conversation with the Innkeeper.

I'm Aldwin, and maybe having your head way up there don't make you hear so good -- do you want a *room* or not? My inn's the only inn in town, so don't even be thinking you'll find a better deal anywhere else.

So this is your inn?

Yeah... why? Somebody in town saying different?

No, just curious.

Imoen of course seems to wander off at the most innocuous times.

Imoen comes back down with a frown on her face. She asks me if we met anybody named Eidan yet. I say no, and ask her why she would ask such a thing. She just shrugs. Sometimes this girl is maddeningly secretive.

This town is so peaceful and full of singing birds. When we leave the Inn I don't want to leave the town. We decide to walk around a bit, take in the sights, meet the people, visit the ... Potter?

Question? What k-kind of questions?

Who are you?

I am Urnst, the p-p-potter... at least I used t-to be. Now I just want to g-get out of this place alive. But with all the t-terrible things happening in town, I'm too scared to step outside m-my shop.

Your shop? What do you sell?

Th-this shop is my home. I used to make pottery here, b-but there doesn't seem to be much point anymore. I've closed shop and packed up m-my things. As soon as the p-pass is clear, I'm heading south to Baldur's G-gate. I hear it's nice there.

Was Baldur's Gate nice 100-odd years ago? I suppose so. No Sarevok now. Then. Whatever.

What can you tell us about the disturbances in the pass?

Dis-disturbances? Yes. People disappearing, m-monsters everywhere... even the weather has t-turned against us. Nobody knows why... not even Arundel.

Well, best of luck to you. Farewell.

Another nice-looking dwelling nearby is locked.

Oh well. We move on to another, rather ornate door.

Of course. What services in particular do you seek?

I'm looking to purchase weapons and equipment.

What weapons we have in Kuldahar are forged by Conlan the Blacksmith. His smithy can be found on the northern edge of town. As for general supplies, our local amateur scholar, Gerth, has a shop across town, near the western bridge.

Thank you. Farewell.

Where is that Imoen run off to?

We enter the large door. Temple to Ilmater I guess?

Yes, on numerous occasions. It is not really much of a coincidence... considering that we are twins.

Really? I just figured all you priests of Ilmater looked alike.

Yes... well, is there some way I may be of assistance to you, friend?

I am in need of a healer. Could you help me?

Ah... blessed are those in need. You've come to the right place, friend. Revered Sister Calliana can tend to your wounds and provide what few curatives we have left in our humble temple. You may find her at prayer upon the altar.

What few curatives you have left? Don't tell me you're running out?

I'm afraid so. The good people of Kuldahar have suffered greatly of late. In sharing their burdens, we have nearly exhausted our supply of potions and antidotes. Though I hear tell that one might find such items elsewhere in town.

Really? Where?

The gnome, Oswald Fiddlebender, is known to dabble in alchemy. He lives in that... contraption on the ridge above his temple. It is also rumored that Orrick the mage possessed certain arcane items. He's a bit of a recluse, though. He lies in a small tower on the far side of town, to the west.

Thank you for the information. Farewell.

Then I go talk to the other person in this temple.

You have been informed correctly. As acting head of this temple, it is my privilege to bestow whatever aid I can upon those in need -- no small task I might add, what with all the troubles that plague this town of late.

Acting head of this temple? Who is normally in charge?

Up until a few weeks ago, Reverend Mother Egenia presided over this house. Alas, she, like so many others in tow, has gone missing and is presumed dead. Being the next-highest-ranking member of the clergy, I have assumed the duties of the head of this temple until either she or Reverend Brother Poquelin returns.

You mean to tell me your head priest was abducted?

Perhaps. We're not quite sure. She grew tired of standing by while the people around us were being snatched up in the night. So she decided to hold a midnight vigil on the outskirts of town in hopes that she too might share in the suffering of those taken. That was the last we saw of her. Her fate remains a mystery.

You mentioned a Revered Brother Poquelin? Who is he?

Revered Brother Poquelin is a visiting senior priest of Ilmater. He passed through Kuldahar several days ago on a pilgrimage to the Monastery of the Weeping Lilac in Bryn Shander. He traveled quite a ways, all the way from... from Cormyr, I believe is what he said. He must be from those distant regions, for he bore a holy symbol of Ilmater that was unfamiliar to me. In any case, he promised to return with aid once he reached Bryn Shander. I hope he is all right.

Fascinating. Now about that healing... what aid can you offer?

Turns out its the normal things that you'd expect from a temple. The most disturbing thing here is that the real high priest is gone! What am I supposed to do that a high priest of Ilmater can't take care of? We all know that we fell in that cave, and suddenly woke up NOT dead and with Dar tending our wounds. He must have taken everyone out himself! What is this other high priest doing?

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I played for a while, but this is as far as I got before I got too sleepy to continue. You guys don't mind smaller chapters, do you?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Smaller chapters are fine.

Also, I'm guessing Poquelin is a vampire.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tunicate posted:

Smaller chapters are fine.

Also, I'm guessing Poquelin is a vampire.

He;s totally shady at any rate.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Small chapters are just ducky, as long as it keeps you going!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
You appear to have missed a screenshot of the start of a conversation:

Vorgen posted:

In the morning, Dar asks me something.

Do I Dar? I was reflecting on the weariness of the road we tread, and how life was so much simpler in Candlekeep.

What did Dar ask? What are you trying to hide from us?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

wow, I actually forgot to take a screenshot of that. Let me go back here...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Vorgen posted:

wow, I actually forgot to take a screenshot of that. Let me go back here...

You look thoughtful, Vorgen, and I cannot help but notice the furrows in your brow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Roll of the Dead still watches, but Finch remains champion of the list for the time being.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

I quite like the mini updates, the size is eminently digestible.

rodomontade
Oct 10, 2013
My vote is for the smaller updates. I kind of lose track of the longer and more in-depth combat sequences so it's easier for me to follow when it's a smaller.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

really? well, okay! It seems to be easier to just wander around town for a bit and make that 2 or 3 updates than to feel as though I have to hit everything in town and have a meaningful battle before I can post something.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Yes please. Meaningful battles are good, posts that come more often than once in a blue moon are better.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Aye, I like the long updates as well but frankly what matters more is that you have fun making them. And if short updates are easier and more enjoyable to produce then I'm all for it.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Vorgen posted:

really? well, okay! It seems to be easier to just wander around town for a bit and make that 2 or 3 updates than to feel as though I have to hit everything in town and have a meaningful battle before I can post something.
Who says you have to pick one or the other? Make them as long or as short as you feel the need to make them. That being said, more than one screenshot per update would be preferable. It would be nice to see the LP end with you at the helm rather than your great great grandkids.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
The Lord of Screenshots shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. LPs will be sown from their passage. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Finally caught up with this thread. I don't know how I didn't see it sooner than about a week ago; I guess it just wasn't on the front page of the LP subforum when I checked it previously.

This gives me the opportunity to ask a question that's been bugging me since I first noticed it. What explanation does the first game's manual give for the game ending immediately when <CHARNAME> dies? I mean, the actual reason is big ol' spoilers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FredMSloniker posted:

This gives me the opportunity to ask a question that's been bugging me since I first noticed it. What explanation does the first game's manual give for the game ending immediately when <CHARNAME> dies? I mean, the actual reason is big ol' spoilers.

It doesn't give one, I believe, aside from "You're the main character."

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Cythereal posted:

It doesn't give one, I believe, aside from "You're the main character."
Doesn't give one as in it says 'the game ends if you die' without further explanation, or doesn't give one as the first <CHARNAME> death comes as a rude surprise to the player?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

FredMSloniker posted:

Doesn't give one as in it says 'the game ends if you die' without further explanation, or doesn't give one as the first <CHARNAME> death comes as a rude surprise to the player?

I think most videogames load you up a save when you die? Don't think BG is any different.

Unless you mean wrt the resurrection thing.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

I think most videogames load you up a save when you die? Don't think BG is any different.

Unless you mean wrt the resurrection thing.
Yeah, the bit where it's game over instantly if the MC is killed. Especially given that at least one Bhaalspawn gets brought back from exactly that.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

Yeah, the bit where it's game over instantly if the MC is killed. Especially given that at least one Bhaalspawn gets brought back from exactly that.

I think it's because you lose your Bhaal essence if you die, making a lot of the plot things related to it no longer work.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Chronische posted:

I think it's because you lose your Bhaal essence if you die, making a lot of the plot things related to it no longer work.

Something I think would be interesting (but which I doubt actually exists, considering modders are busy turning the game into Tokimeki Memorial or something) would be a mod that let the thread of prophecy be severed, as Morrowind put it. Basically, set a flag if <CHARNAME> dies (but not if they're turned to stone or Imprisoned, as those explicitly do not kill the subject) and let the game continue, but cause the plot to diverge based on when, exactly, it happened. Defeated by Sarevok? He gets a buff, says something about how your power is now his, but you can still beat him down. Smacked by mooks outside Candlekeep and dragged to the inn by Imoen? Seriously different plot.

Oh, Vorgen, since you turned off the mod that kept Syvishtar from dying, are we back to the status quo? Or are you using the ToBEx thing that Daederinred mentioned now? I think it'd be cool if Syvishtar could start getting some entries on the other side of the Book of the Dead.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

FredMSloniker posted:

Something I think would be interesting (but which I doubt actually exists, considering modders are busy turning the game into Tokimeki Memorial or something) would be a mod that let the thread of prophecy be severed, as Morrowind put it. Basically, set a flag if <CHARNAME> dies (but not if they're turned to stone or Imprisoned, as those explicitly do not kill the subject) and let the game continue, but cause the plot to diverge based on when, exactly, it happened. Defeated by Sarevok? He gets a buff, says something about how your power is now his, but you can still beat him down. Smacked by mooks outside Candlekeep and dragged to the inn by Imoen? Seriously different plot.

Oh, Vorgen, since you turned off the mod that kept Syvishtar from dying, are we back to the status quo? Or are you using the ToBEx thing that Daederinred mentioned now? I think it'd be cool if Syvishtar could start getting some entries on the other side of the Book of the Dead.

As nice as that would be, that would be seriously impossible. You're not talking "new mod" you're talking "whole new game contingent on changes to the story out of the control of the developers".

Baldurs gate doesn't need a Nemesis system.

Actually, I take it back, it totally does.

A party of Nemesis'.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

tithin posted:

As nice as that would be, that would be seriously impossible. You're not talking "new mod" you're talking "whole new game contingent on changes to the story out of the control of the developers".
Well, it'd still be a mod. It'd be a freaking huge mod, verging on a total conversion mod, but it'd still be something repurposing the code and assets of the existing game.

Also stop making me want to buy Shadow of Mordor I don't have any moneeeeeeys

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, there is something unique to the PC in the Baldur's Gate story, even among the Bhaalspawn. It's subtle, only directly pointed out once, but the PC does perform a feat that even another Bhaalspawn in the same situation cannot.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Cythereal posted:

Also, there is something unique to the PC in the Baldur's Gate story, even among the Bhaalspawn. It's subtle, only directly pointed out once, but the PC does perform a feat that even another Bhaalspawn in the same situation cannot.

Power Word: Reload?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Please, even low-level adventurer chumps can reload.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sebzilla posted:

No. It's something that comes up in Spellhold. The PC is explicitly told that they're unique among Bhaalspawn.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I don't remember a lot of things offhand, other than being CHARNAME with -10 AC in plot armor. Is the PC unique because he/she has literally too much essence of soul for even the antagonist to hold?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pooncha posted:

I don't remember a lot of things offhand, other than being CHARNAME with -10 AC in plot armor. Is the PC unique because he/she has literally too much essence of soul for even the antagonist to hold?

No. The PC is unique because their soul takes form and helps the PC's mind from within. The dream sequences in BG2, and especially the one in Spellhold, aren't dreams. The fragment of Bhaal's power freaks out over this and points out that it's unique, and Irenicus and Imoen both note that it's something only the PC can do.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Oh. That. I remember now! :v:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

I didn't turn it off. That would require a complete 10-hour reinstall. It just didn't work right, so I think I'm going to have to still avoid dying in the future in order to stop my character from becoming an invulnerable sprite with no green circle. Maybe it will help me survive being mazed/petrified/imprisoned? Or maybe it will screw up there too. Who knows?

Cythereal posted:

No. The PC is unique because their soul takes form and helps the PC's mind from within. The dream sequences in BG2, and especially the one in Spellhold, aren't dreams. The fragment of Bhaal's power freaks out over this and points out that it's unique, and Irenicus and Imoen both note that it's something only the PC can do.

Is that your soul taking on the form of Imoen?

flankspankrank
Jul 1, 2014

BwenGun posted:

Aye, I like the long updates as well but frankly what matters more is that you have fun making them. And if short updates are easier and more enjoyable to produce then I'm all for it.

Agreed i would rather this lp gets finished than Vorgen gets burned out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vorgen posted:

Is that your soul taking on the form of Imoen?

Quite so.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

flankspankrank posted:

I'd argue that playing through IWD is going to burn him (and us) out before any of the good poo poo in BG2/ToB.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

flankspankrank posted:

With how much stuff seems to be in Big World Mod, I'm thinking that Vorgen won't be able to finish this, even updating rapidly like has been, until after Spirit Armor actually finishing Sakura Wars.

:ghost:

flankspankrank
Jul 1, 2014

Slaan posted:

With how much stuff seems to be in Big World Mod, I'm thinking that Vorgen won't be able to finish this, even updating rapidly like has been, until after Spirit Armor actually finishing Sakura Wars.

:ghost:

Well there was an insane amount of content for BG1 alone and that is a much smaller game.

ETB posted:

I'd argue that playing through IWD is going to burn him (and us) out before any of the good poo poo in BG2/ToB.

I hope not I am really enjoying vorgen showcasing all these mods.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

flankspankrank posted:

Well there was an insane amount of content for BG1 alone and that is a much smaller game.

You haven't seen anything yet. Case in point: Icewind Dale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

You haven't seen anything yet. Case in point: Icewind Dale.
So are there are content mods to Icewind Dale that are themselves included in the Icewind Dale mod to this game? Is this the start of videogame singularity? Is the whole Infinity Engine going to be modded into Skyrim in the next 10 years?

• Locked thread