Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Vorgen posted:

What's a Lovitarian? Further progress into this complex gives us another glimpe of the child.
Loviatar is the goddess of pain and agony.

Also, that room with all of the histachii. I'm not sure how they ported it, but it is possible to save all the people there were being transformed into histachii by killing the High Baptist first in that encounter in IWD proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Pickled Tink posted:

Also, that room with all of the histachii. I'm not sure how they ported it, but it is possible to save all the people there were being transformed into histachii by killing the High Baptist first in that encounter in IWD proper.

Hahahaha! It might have been possible for Syvishtar too if he didn't stop so often to scribble furiously in his notebook and take pictures of everything...

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Syvishtar posted:

I find the book to be completely fascinating. I read it all immediately.

Fi-nally! By the weave's warp and weft, he finally gets it!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Actually I'm starting to think Imoen shoulda read this one.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tunicate posted:

Two more int boosts for Syv and then Imoen too can start to reap the benefits of tomes!

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Tunicate posted:

She has hit the limit of how many spells she can memorize per level for several spell levels...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Tunicate posted:

And, of course, all Tomes to Imoe---- What?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Vorgen posted:

She has hit the limit of how many spells she can memorize per level for several spell levels...
She's not trying hard enough! It's just a book with spells on! Add more pages! :argh:

Also, I'm not sure how the Imoen goes to spellhold thing plays out. Is it the same NPC or do we get a new and improved (And therefore not stat boosted) Imoen there?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
She's leaving the party fairly soon, so why bother?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Pretty soon? We'll probably be in Chateau Irenicus for another year.

Unless we're kicking her out to make room for more wonderful companions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cigaw posted:

Pretty soon? We'll probably be in Chateau Irenicus for another year.

Unless we're kicking her out to make room for more wonderful companions.

There's ten or so companions in Chateau Irenicus now, so probably.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I know kicking out Minsc and Yoshimo sends them to the Coronet and Jaheira goes to the Docks, so could you boot the other spares to the Coronet or whatever place they go to, or are they permanently gone?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Im half expecting the entirety of fallout 1 and 2 to be ported into Irenicus' dungeon too, tbh

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fong posted:

Im half expecting the entirety of fallout 1 and 2 to be ported into Irenicus' dungeon too, tbh

Hello extremely! I hope you like to *play*!
Irenicus was a *silly cow*, but he *invited* all his *friends* to a *party*. What fun!

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Pickled Tink posted:

Also, I'm not sure how the Imoen goes to spellhold thing plays out. Is it the same NPC or do we get a new and improved (And therefore not stat boosted) Imoen there?

It doesn't matter. If there's some discrepancy then I'll fix it.

As an aside, are there any other games that have random magic, like the wild mage does? I can't think of any on my own.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Final fantasy 4? The old guy's power is casting random spells for free.

Benjifer
May 28, 2012
Quite a few of the Final Fantasy games have 'random' magic in a sense. 6, 7 and 8 all have a 'slots' type mechanic for one of the characters.

I *think* (not completely sure) that the Rhialto mod can also be used in IWD. Obviously, you'd need other mods to allow the character to be a Wild Mage and you'd probably need to CLUA in the spellbook, but still...

Also, good on you for just giving the tome to Syv! And for finishing this part. Yxunomei was one of the most difficult battles in the original IWD. It's a good thing you have so much powerful gear this time around.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

1 Kythorn, 1281

Well, we've done it. We got the Heartstone Gem! Now we just have to return to Kuldahar like heroes and be on our way!

So, after a good night's camp, we do just that. Then we get on the road early, cuz that's what heroes do, and stroll into Kuldahar just in time to see it... overrun by orogs?!

We fight through them as fast as we can, but still we hear the background sounds of dying townspersons.

We follow the coinpile trail to see where the orogs have gone.

We kill every orog that we can find, and also see some unmolested townspeople! yes!

But still we find more orogs scattered about.

But what we really need, beyond anything else, is a place to sell weapons!

Even before unloading anything, with the gold that we just have on us, I'm able to buy an ammo belt and a potion bag.

Then we unload everything from the bag of holding. All the masterwork halberds, all the robes of cold resistance, all the magical two-handed swords, everything.

Then we count up all our gold.

52,860! Wow! Ok, I know exactly what I want to buy.

I go straight to Oswald Fiddlebender's crashed airship.

Awww sweet yeah! I'm really going to get into reading this. But, actually... perhaps Imoen should? Her mental capacity is the only way in which she does not yet match up to me as a mage. I'll have to think about it.

And I also show up at the wizard's tower to get a sweet robe off of him.

It was only 22,400 gold! I feel like a true mage again.

I like the hood.

I also pick up Summon Djinni and Simbul's Spell Sequencer, two of the more expensive spells that he has that we don't know. Summon Djinni for me, and Simbul's Spell Sequencer for Imoen.

Except... I don't know what happens. I somehow... fail to copy the spell correctly? Is this possible? There must be some mistake!

Sheepishly, I leave the mage tower. Time to give the Heartstone Gem to Arundel!

I must ask you... have you found the source of evil in Dragon's Eye?

Perhaps. A strange "woman" named Yxunomei was raising an army of trolls, lizard men, yuan-ti, and undead. I defeated her and many of her minions.

Excellent. Thank you for destroying my ancient enemy. I couldn't have planned this better myself.

"Ancient enemy?" What are you talking about?

I am sure Yxunomei must have explained this to you. She and I have been foes for centuries. Thanks to you, the vendetta has ended. Now you may travel back to your future.

W-What? I don't believe you! You are not Arundel! How did you manage to haul me out of my time?

Arundel is bleeding out his life upstairs. Now I can begin to build my own forces in this world without fear.. There is a portal in his room you may use to return to your world. Other things are not so important for you. You may not stay here even if you wish to take your revenge over me. You must solve your parentage problem as soon as possible... By the way, you shouldn't be upset. You destroyed great evil forces here. Farewell, Syvishtar.

Then, he simply casts Dimension Door and disappears!

What? His own forces? Portal home? Am I, should I be, conflicted? I should go upstairs.

A man, but not a man... he wore my skin like a cloak, my face like a mask... he came suddenly in the night, and struck me down...

Nature itself seemed to recoil from him - even with the strength of the Great Oak bolstering me, I was unable to stop him. He touched me once, his hands as blood, and I felt my life begin to drain away.

Arundel, hold on - we still may be able to help y--

(*Voice strengthens, becomes steadier.*)... No, only the hope you would return has kept my body alive. You... you must take the Heartstone Gem to... the elven fortress of the Severed Hand.

Severed Hand? But why?

The Severed Hand is the prison of Larrel, one of the last of the elven archmages... he is the only one left who can u the Heartstone Gem... if he still lives...

But the Severed Hand... I've never heard of it - where can I find it?

It is to the south - nature will guide you... (*a little quieter, a little weaker*).. enough of my power remains that I may do that. Now... I must go... Take it. Serve the balance. Protect Kuldahar from this evil.. (*One final burst of strength, enough to keep his oice steady*)... Hrothgar, my friend, I know you are looking for the key... Tilorn was here...

Farewell, Arundel. We will see you avenged.

Do what you must...

Gameplay note: At this point there was a bug. Hrothgar started talking about killing the marilith. I had to search around to see what was supposed to happen next. Then I discovered that Hrothgar spoke the correct dialog if I force-talked him.

I ask one thing of you all. Please spare a moment and reflect on the words of Arundel and the promise you made to take the heartstone gem to Larrel at the Severed Hand.

Arundel struggled against the pain of his injuries to remain aive so he could tell us what he knew in the hope that we would continue our mission to save Kuldahar and maybe even Easthaven. Are we going to let all he suffered be for nothing?

I didn't make any such promise! I just want to go home and forget this whole nightmare... please Syvishtar.. let's go home?

(*Putting his hand on her shoulder*) Imoen... you have the word of Hrothgar, you will go home, soon. Believe me when I say your future is not here and a couple of more day either here or there will not make a difference to what is to come. Please, trust me?

(*Shrugging his hand off her shoulder*) I don't know you Hrothgar, nor do I like this place. It's gold and I don't care much for the snow any more, there's too much of it... it makes the sun hurt my eyes!

Also, I don't care where this portal leads as long as it is away from here. Please Syvishtar... can't we leave now before this portal disappears?

It is my place to follow wherever I feel I best serve Ilmater. I owe Syvishtar my life and as such have pledged my allegiance to his cause. Dar does not go back on his word once it is given, he will let him choose the road that we next take.

You have no need to ask where my duty lies Hrothgar, regardless of what everyone else here decides, you can rely on my support. Tempus has set me on the path to battle this evil and his will shall be done, whatever the cost to myself.

So my friend, I believe our next stp together as a group and maybe the fate of Kuldahar lies in your hands.

Gameplay note: Ok, lets call it here, because we have some bug problems to work through or avoid. Something is wrong with the dialog triggers here - I was only able to get the last 3 lines from Dar, Accalia and Hrothgar via looking at the dialog files out of game. They didn't trigger in-game. What is supposed to happen now is that we have 5 options talking about the futility of going through events that have already happened vs. the importance of going back to our normal time now. We already know Imoen's stance. But the other problem is that if I can't get the dialog to work, we'll have to brute-force our way through the rest of the mod by teleporting to different maps and hoping everything holds together, script-wise. So the choice is this:

A. Lets see this through. Teleport your elven rear end to the Severed Hand and lets kill more undead until we save Kuldahar!
B. Screw Kuldahar, Screw Hrothgar, and screw this mod. We have Irenicus to deal with 200 years in the future, and time she is awastin'. Let's blow this popsicle tree and head back to the future... err... present!
C. I have the solution. I know just how to trigger Hrothgar's dialog in order to advance the mod. What you should do is... (a correct answer here counts as 100 votes)

Oh, also, who should get the +INT tome?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If poo poo's bugging out, then B let's get the gently caress out of here before we get stuck.

e: SYVISHTAR needs a mechanically useless but godlike 25 INT.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

gently caress this place and All Tomes To Syv (until we hit max in a stat I guess)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
B. I'm over this mod.

Also, AllTomesToSyv.gif. Imoen can get them once you're at 25 INT. Those tomes seem to be dropping like candy anyway.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
B. The mod's bugged and most of us are eager to see BG2 proper. I'm sure in the future Syv can pick up a history book and read about how Hrothgar and Accalia saved the day or whatever.

Tome to Syv. If he failed to read a scroll, obviously he needs more INT.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Bug out. These weird people from the past can deal with it. Obviously, they did eventually because the future still exists. :colbert:

Quarter Past Ten
Jan 17, 2012

When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?
B. I've been waiting for BG2 to start for a year.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

C. I have the solution. I know just how to trigger Hrothgar's dialog in order to advance the mod. What you should do is... (a correct answer here counts as 100 votes)

Export your characters, import to a fresh install of icewind dale, finish that up, export the characters, reimport into BGII.

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
Let's get the gently caress back to our own game.

This one time give the book to Imoen.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Isn't this as far as the mod goes? I seem to recall some people mentioning it back when you started it.

As it stands you have a choice of heading back into the prison of an evil wizard who tortured and experimented upon you, and on the other hand you have to stay in the frozen north, which is very cold.

If this is the end of the mod then B, if not then A.

Imoen is too sane for the tome. Give it to Syv. Genius is not meant to be understood!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

BUCK YOU IWD.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
B most definitely

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Yeah this mod is hella impressive but I'm bored with it.

BG 2 calls us.

All tomes to syv of course.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Actually

D) Teleport to the last map of the icewind dale mod, pretend we understand what's going on, then end it.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
B. We've seen enough of IWD. Let's get back to Chateau Irenicus.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
B. You're suffering enough without being forced to fight the mod itself.

Also, all tomes to Syv.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B. If the mod itself isn't letting us go further, we have fulfilled our due diligence as per the LP. let's go back to chateau Irenicus.

Max Syv before boosting anyone else.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'll have a B please, Bob.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Continue with essentially vanilla IWD or get back to a crazy mod-heavy BG2? That's a no-brainer for me

I vote B

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

B, give me bg2 mod madness! And the tome to Imoen.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Actually

D) Teleport to the last map of the icewind dale mod, pretend we understand what's going on, then end it.

if there's some neat way to wrap the icewind dale plot up in a bow before we move on, and if it's not too annoying for vorgen to implement, play through, and write up, i think option D here might be nice

edit to below: i think he said that if you could give him a working solution your vote counted 100 times more. so if booting dar works i think you win singlehandedly

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 15, 2015

Benjifer
May 28, 2012
I don't think it's going to change anything at this point, but I vote A. This idea of this LP is to see everything. We won't see everything if we skip parts of it. Don't get me wrong, this mod is buggy (although that's just the dialogue files for Dar) and boring compared to the original IWD, but that's not the point.

Also, from my own playthroughs, I've had similar dialog bugs. The problem is Dar, his dialogue files don't work properly for whatever reason. There are two possible ways to fix it:

1. Boot Dar from the party and try the conversation again. This is how everybody I asked online was saying to do it but by that point I'd already messed around with global settings and wasn't able to do it.
2. Mess around with the globals. I don't have NeJ installed in my current playthrough, so I can't give you the full details but if you check the dialogue trees, there should be globals and CLUA commands that will allow you to continue the story. It's clunky and it might break things (like mine did) but it will at least allow you to visit the Severed Hand (which is the final part of this part of the mod). A place with tonnes of powerful undead and not much else. You will also run into the same problems with Dar's dialogue there though and I don't think that part can be Global'd out of.

If the booting Dar (at least temporarily, and in a different room) fix doesn't work then... Well, I don't think my vote is going to count for much anyway.

EDIT: Oh, and all tomes to Syv until he reaches 25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loco88
Oct 24, 2005

b gently caress this place. All tomes to Syv. Let's right this crazy ship and get back on track. Mods are fun, but this is a whole goddamn game inserted in the middle.

• Locked thread