Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

I find it odd that the, albeit cosmetic, change to Edwin's class didn't find its way into the BWP. It may just be a textual change which specifies he is a Red Wizard of Thay instead of a regular Conjurer -- it offers a bit of coherence lore-wise for the game, as well as explains the nature of this extra two spells per day. The additional prohibited school seems to be missing, though.

You can find said mod here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I find it odd that the, albeit cosmetic, change to Edwin's class didn't find its way into the BWP. It may just be a textual change which specifies he is a Red Wizard of Thay instead of a regular Conjurer -- it offers a bit of coherence lore-wise for the game, as well as explains the nature of this extra two spells per day. The additional prohibited school seems to be missing, though.

You can find said mod here.

Strangely enough I can't find a mention of that NPC Kit Pack in the BiG World Project pdf, except for a mention of a compatibility code needed for the NPC Tweak v5. Maybe it was an either/or choice between that pack and the NPC Tweak pack v5, because the NPC Tweak pack also adjusts the NPCs a lot.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Xvimic posted:

That's good news as they will likely be back at some point then. I guess I will just hold off on replaying until they get their site back up so I can benefit from all the mods which apparently they alone host.

All the mods are still available I think, just the main homepage is down. Someone liked a G3 mod just a few posts above this one.

Miss Hime
Jun 14, 2008
Thanks to this thread I've been playing through BG with Tutu (rather than BG: Trilogy). The only problem I've had is with the Sword Coast Stratagems mod (which I think is built into BG:T as I believe it's responsible for the insanely difficult spiders). It seems to have caused massive slowdown in the bandit camp, presumbably due to the 'call for help' script, which activates every single bandit in the camp! I've had to uninstall the mod for that section and reinstalled it once I finished the map.

Also SCS really doesn't pull its punches during the Nashkel mines. The 'dark side kobolds' module or whatever it's called has killed me so many times so be prepared to do lots of running away from Kobold Commandos!

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

28 Kythorn, 1369

Gameplay note: Taking the game slow like this is really giving me a better perspective on low-level spells. I really feel like they're meaningful and useful, rather than wholly-inadequate responses to any situation. Color Spray is awesome!

Before we camp for the night, Branwen resurrects Haiass.

How's my good wolf? Want to play? Here, boy, get your toy! Good wolf!

We also change our spells around a little to better deal with a large number of weak enemies, although there aren't many choices. I also prepare Find Familiar for the next day. As we are bedding down to rest, Imoen asks Branwen a question.

If you really wish to know why healing is a vital component of warfare, dear child, perhaps you would like me to withhold it from you for a while, until you figure it out?

*gulps nervously* Aww, I was just teasin', Brany.

We rest for 8 hours, memorizing spells, but we are still not healed, so we opt to rest for another while. However, the screaming of an xvart war party wakes us from our dreams, just as they were getting to the good parts.

I choose to start off with a spell I haven't cast before, Horror. It will give us the time we need to take care of this group.

Some are terrified but some are not. We kill the brave ones first. A bit ironic, I think.

Picking off the others comes easy.

Haiass kills off the last, and we are alone in the night once again.

Then we go back to sleep, and wake to a bright new day. A bright new day of xvarticide! Because there's no way I'm leaving such tiny, murderous bastards alive. But Edwin begins to pester me even before breakfast is finished.

Why do you even need to kill her? Is she a person of some importance?

She is a Rashemi witch, and it is my appointed task to destroy her. That is all you need to know. (And all he can comprehend, anyway. What would a simian know of the prospects that will open before me if I gain Nevron's trust?)

The next order of business is finding another familiar. I can never have my first cat back, as she is dead. But I can find another one like it.

Come here. I want to pick you up and put you in my pack where it's a bit safer.

Then it's back to the xvart village. Imoen goes in first to scout. She does a more thorough job this time and notices a second group of xvarts on the other side of the pond from the first.

We still have a lot of fight left to do. I ask Branwen to cast Bless on us, but her spell fails.

I didn't know that could happen to clerics. Huh. Viconia does the honors instead. She also gives us a Chant. We are ready for battle.

We charge in and engage the hostiles. The xvart shamans cast a bless on themselves, and then try to cast Doom upon me.

It hits, and I feel a sinking feeling in my stomach. But I respond with Horror, giving a sinking and panicked feeling to many stomachs, including the shaman that doomed me.

A moment later, though, his co-shaman Silences me. It is time for staff work only.

I retreat to be by Minsc's side for this. The remaining xvart shaman is no fool, though. He casts Resist Fear on his cohorts, calming their hearts and removing their fear. Even though they are still scattered about the area in a panicked tangle, the panic itself is now gone.

Gameplay note: See how appropriately NPC mages and clerics respond to situations now? You would never see such intelligence in a normal game. Cast one Fear, and the whole fight is over. But now with all these mods you cast Fear, the shaman casts Resist Fear, and the fight goes on. He also easily shut me down with a Silence. Incredibly appropriate to the situation. I'm lovin' it!

Minsc is the next to feel the sinking touch of Doom upon him. He is almost finished killing all the xvarts around him, though.

I tell Minsc to charge into the next crowd of xvarts surrounding Haiass. I guess Haiass is so far ahead because he's attacking spellcasters. I say I'll mop up back here. But as Minsc charges forward, he is Held.

Things are not easy for us two tanks at the front.

When the two shamans call down the might of their divine upon them in preparation for melee, I start to get a little worried.

Imoen tries to Magic Missile one of them, while Branwen casts a Curse and Viconia tries to Hold them. She manages to get one of them, but Haiass also dies again.

I try to reach for Rhialto's Spellbook, to see if there's anything in there that I can use while silenced, when I am Held as well.

Thank the weave most of the xvarts are dead, held, or otherwise incapacitated, or I would be dead here. One funny thing - the dogs and xvarts trying to attack Minsc die to his frost aura. Branwen decides that its time to break out her spirital weapon, Battle Prowess.

The buffed shaman attacks Minsc and makes a dent in his health, so Viconia is forced to cast a heal on him.

The same shaman quickly turns and casts Doom upon Branwen. But it's the last thing he ever does.

The last, Held, shaman dies to an arrow from Edwin.

But then there is one xvart that comes into view from north of the camp. We kill it, and go up there, to find another war party waiting for us.

The battle is on again. But it is over almost before it begins.

It is when the flames around Minsc die down that I realize he's walking around in just a shirt. No armor can be found on him anymore. I ask him what happened, and he shows me some broken scraps.

Full plate mail, broken into nothingness. That was, what, 1800 gold? And now its just a hunk of useless scrap. Ok, now this iron crisis is getting personal! We still have the Chainmail +1, though, so he puts that on instead.

North of the xvart village we find two bears looking for a fight.

Minsc charms one of the bears, and we attack the other.

He falls quickly. I think now is a good respite, so I have Branwen raise Haiass. We appear to be in front of a very large cave. Probably more bears inside. But Edwin isn't thinking about that now.

*hotly* Why do you always have to berate others? Have you ever considered that women here do not care for you, because you look and act ridiculous?

No! Of coruse not - it is just that the women from these parts are so used to oafs that they would not recognize perfection if it bit them on the... erm, nose.

Is that what he does with them? I immediately regret my quizzical mind. Branwen seems to have something else to say to Edwin, though.

What are you babbling on about now?

I ask only because you are heard to speak to yourself so oft, and I have heard tales of men who do so that believe they are many in one body. Do you debate philosophy with yourself, perchance?

Fool, I am a Red Wizard of Thay! You mock me at your peril!

Your favorite color, is it pink in the dewy evenings and red in the morn? Or perchance one of you is a zoo keeper? 'Twould explain the constant mutterings of apes.

Woman, I warn you one last time-

Pray tell, when you rise from slumber and step left, are you a man, but a woman if your step is to the right side? These eyes cannot help but spy something of a feminine care for the beauty of the body in you...

(Strange that one with no sense of hygiene would notice a normal concern with it in another. Perhaps she is merely pathetically lazy rather than merely pathetically oblivious.) Another word, and the next ones from my own lips shall be a fireball.

Ah, but you have no appreciation of fine humor, Edwin!

After such delightful conversation, I ask Viconia to Bless us all and then we go into the cave.

And its a good thing I did, because the place is full of xvarts. One of them begins casting a spell.

It is a Bless. Then they cast Doom and Hold Person as well. Both Minsc and I are Held.

In anticipation, Branwen casts Aid upon me while Viconia does so on Minsc. Edwin tries to distract everybody by casting Color Spray on the group, as one of the shaman casts Call Upon Divine Might.

That Color Spray doesn't do much good, but a few seconds later Edwin casts it again. Branwen and Viconia are working to keep Minsc alive as he is getting hit while Held.

Viconia tries a Hold of her own, and gets one of the shaman to stay still. Good, because that one had cast Draw Upon Holy Might. We don't want him killing our wolf or Minsc or anything.

The rest of the xvarts fall, until only the two shaman are left. The one active one casts Silence upon most of the party, then dies to Minsc's frost aura.

And the final shaman goes down to one of Imoen's arrows.

Gameplay note: The enclosed space and the number of Hold Persons flying around could have made this fight go very differently. I had to reload once when they Held me and beat me down faster than I could get healed, because Branwen was silenced.

In the box in the middle of the room we find a mithril ring, a potion of fire resistance, and a Masterwork War Hammer!

This is like a gift from the gods, specifically Tempus, since Branwen has great skill in using warhammers, and we hadn't yet found a melee weapon for her. I give it to her with great ceremony.

When we get back out of the cave, the bear the Minsc had charmed previously was back to its old self. We had to put him down.

After we did, Minsc had some sort of epiphany.

We look through the rest of the xvart village but find no more xvarts. So we keep going west to explore the area around the village. We do find another living thing, but its a thief named Borda.

How about the potion of extra healing.

This potion can be a life saver, trust me.

*smacks Syvishtar on the head* Idiot! Why didn't you consult with me, first? Didn't ya think for a moment he might be tryin' to scam ya? I should know, after all.

Gotta go!

Looking at the potion that he gave us more closely, I realize that it is spoiled. drat thieves! To the north we find more thieves. Viconia, the first on the scene due to her Boots of the Forgotten Ones, casts Aid on herself and prepares for melee as the rest of us walk up.

Without shaman support, they are slaughtered without fanfare. We also find a sign here, seemingly in the middle of nowhere.

We continue exploring, exhausting the areas north and west of the village. South of the village, we find more xvarts.

They are reduced to chunks in short order. Later, we run into a pack of three worgs.

Edwin releases a Color Spray from the right, and confuses all of them.

They fall to our blades and arrows and bullets quickly. After that, we can finally say that we have explored the entire area, and that no xvarts escaped our wrath. This area is declared safe!

Gameplay note: In order to progress in this map, you have to exit from the west side. But you might be able to see that it is actually difficult to get to the west side. The widest and easiest way to get there is straight through the xvart camp. You can stick to the bottom and squeeze through a small area in the southwest corner of the map, where the party is now, but that is not easy to find. The map is set up so that most players will have to fight their way through the village to get to Dynaheir, and only a few players will be able to find a way to bypass the village, if they want to. I've never tried to bypass it, because hey, free xp! But some nature-lovers might want to bypass it I guess?

I am proud to stand among such strong warriors.

Yes Boo, I agree. This group could do with a swift kick in the morals.

You can't please everyone all the time, I guess. Consulting our map, we realize that while we still cannot get to the Gnoll Stronghold, what we can do is go to Bear River, 12 hours away. We set off on the journey, confident in our ability to handle ourselves in the face of any number of bears.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Vorgen posted:

Pray tell, when you rise from slumber and step left, are you a man, but a woman if your step is to the right side? These eyes cannot help but spy something of a feminine care for the beauty of the body in you...

(Strange that one with no sense of hygiene would notice a normal concern with it in another. Perhaps she is merely pathetically lazy rather than merely pathetically oblivious.) Another word, and the next ones from my own lips shall be a fireball.

Ha! It's funny because it's foreshadowing!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I don't think I ever went through the Xvart village to get the Gnoll Stronghold. There is another way to get there by going SW then up the Stronghold.

Also, Stop getting Haiass killed! :argh:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I completely forgot how much I hated Xvarts and that little tiny "YAHHHH" scream from the audio files.

It's weird how mass murder can make you happy.

Also, Kill Dynaheir while Minsc watches.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Vorgen, I just wanted to compliment you on a rather spiffy LP. I finally caved and bought an account so I wouldn't miss any of it and also so that I could stick my incredibly uninformed oar in. I was, shameful as it is to admit, never able to get into BG before but reading your LP showed me where I was going wrong (i.e. I was expecting to not die very much) and now I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

One question, if I may; How do you change the character kits, like making Kahlid a Duskblade and suchlike? I'm sure I'm missing something blindingly obvious but I've gone over the thread and various documentation that seems relevant and I can't find out for the life of me.

Also, gently caress Xvarts and their god drat scream. They got what they deserved.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just read through this whole thing over the past week. It's great fun! And I've never played any of the Baldur's Gate games, so it's a great trip through some classics.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Holy moly Minsc is a 40 hitpoint monster for this early. Just don't kill Edwin, whatever you do. Please. :(

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Willie Tomg posted:

Holy moly Minsc is a 40 hitpoint monster for this early. Just don't kill Edwin, whatever you do. Please. :(

Might not be up to him...

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Hey guys I just realized that when my familiar died I kept the hit point bonus. And when I summoned a new familiar I got 12 more hit points. Do you think this is bad/good?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It means Syvishtar will get more chances to watch his party die around him! tim. kim. wim...

(Or fewer re-loads when a fight goes badly.)

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 30, 2011

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So, basically a familiar dying means that you trade 1 point of CON for 12 hp?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Well according to the spell description I'm supposed to lose the bonus I got. Maybe we should classify it as a bug?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Vorgen posted:

Hey guys I just realized that when my familiar died I kept the hit point bonus. And when I summoned a new familiar I got 12 more hit points. Do you think this is bad/good?

I think it means that you've possibly found a way to break the game.

You could explore the ramifications of this in a dream or something like that, if you want to.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Brainamp posted:

I think it means that you've possibly found a way to break the game.

You could explore the ramifications of this in a dream or something like that, if you want to.

A final gift from your familiar: though its parting left a great void in you, what it left you with will aid and protect you in ways you never thought possible.

Spot the guy who still misses his old cat

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I say the game is tough enough as it is, just roll with it man.

Edit: This time, that is. Try not to exploit it in the future unless you want to do it as an alternative to your main save.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 30, 2011

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, roll with it. Just keep your familiar in your backpack so it doesn't happen again.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Mister Adequate posted:

Vorgen, I just wanted to compliment you on a rather spiffy LP. I finally caved and bought an account so I wouldn't miss any of it and also so that I could stick my incredibly uninformed oar in. I was, shameful as it is to admit, never able to get into BG before but reading your LP showed me where I was going wrong (i.e. I was expecting to not die very much) and now I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Thanks man!

Mister Adequate posted:

One question, if I may; How do you change the character kits, like making Kahlid a Duskblade and suchlike? I'm sure I'm missing something blindingly obvious but I've gone over the thread and various documentation that seems relevant and I can't find out for the life of me.

Also, gently caress Xvarts and their god drat scream. They got what they deserved.

Ok, I think I'll turn this into another FAQ question. Let me see if I can get a first draft answer out here:

To change NPC character kits, you have to follow a bit of a complicated procedure using Shadow Keeper, the BG2 save game editor. Shadow Keeper can change the kits of any NPC for you, but it doesn't have all the data it needs to name them. So you have to copy values from one save to another. I'll give an example of changing Minsc to a Feralan, but the procedure works with all kits.

1. Download, extract, and run Shadow Keeper. It can run in the background of BG2 no problem.
2. Fire up BG2, and save your current game with the NPC whose class you want to change in the party. Save it with an easy name to remember, like "Change Minsc to Feralan."
3. Exit your current game and start a new one.
4. Create a new character for yourself that uses the Feralan kit.
5. Save the game with a name you can easily remember, like "Generic Feralan".
6. If you have a full-screen BG2 game going, just press Alt-f4 to close BG2 and get the little popup window that says "Are you sure you want to quit? Boo will miss you..." Ignore that window and switch to Shadow Keeper.
7. In Shadow Keeper, open up both save games "Generic Feralan" and "Change Minsc to Feralan."
8. In the save "Change Minsc to Feralan," use the scroll bar under your character portrait to change the selected character to Minsc.
9. Write down the amount of XP that Minsc currently has, like 9882.
10. On the Abilites tab (default tab you should be looking at already) change Minsc's Base HP and Current HP to 1. Change THAC0 to 20. Change Experience to 0. Change Levels to 0/0/0.
11. On the Characteristic tab (next one after Abilities) change Class if necessary.
12. Then select the "Generic Feralan" save. Look at that character's Characteristic tab. Click on the Set Value button for the Kit. A small window will pop up with two boxes in it, Value and Known. Copy the Value ... value, which will be something like "0x40A70000". This is the Feralan kit value.
13. Then press cancel, select your game save that you called "Change Minsc to Feralan" and again click on the Set Value button. Paste the value that you copied earlier, and press OK. You should have changed the Value from "0x00000000" to "0x40A70000". That will give the kit to Minsc.
14. Go to the Memorization tab and erase all spells.
15. Go to the Innate tab and erase all Innate abilities.
16. Go to the Wizard tab and erase all spells.
17. Go to the Priest tab and erase all spells.
18. Go to the Proficiencies tab and erase all proficiencies.
19. Go to the Thieves tab and set all thief skills to 0.
20. Save the game in Shadow Keeper. It will be called "Change Minsc to Feralan (Edited 0001)"
21. Alt-tab back to the confirmation dialog for BG2 and select No to get back to BG2.
22. Load the game "Change Minsc to Feralan (Edited 0001)"
23. Minsc should level up from 0 to 1 on game load. Click his Record, level him up, and press ok. This will give him all the stats and skills and hit points and what-have-you for his new kit.
24. Then either in-game or in Shadowkeeper, give Minsc back the xp he used to have, which in this example is 9882. You can do that by either saving the game and opening it in shadowkeeper and putting in the new value or by pressing CTRL-Space and using the cheat code CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXP("9882")
25. Level Minsc up to the level that his current class allows and continue game as normal.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

You have gone above and beyond the call of duty. :worship: Many, many thanks for that very helpful post, I should be able to get it all sorted out now!

Now I'll just get back to furiously :f5:ing your thread.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Might be an idea to edit that and all the other 'how the gently caress do I get this running' stuff into one of the first couple of posts. It'll help others a ton.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Might be an idea to edit that and all the other 'how the gently caress do I get this running' stuff into one of the first couple of posts. It'll help others a ton.

Yah if there's no clarifying questions that point out something I skipped I'll put it up there.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Vorgen posted:

Kit changing.

Thanks a bunch, I was about to ask the same question since I want a fancier Tiax following me around.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Oh yah for multiclass guys only one of those classes can get a kit.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
You could also use the level 1 NPCs mod which lets you set class, kit, spells, proficiences, and skills:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/level1npcs/

Though I don't know how compatible it would be the the Big World Project.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

rakovsky maybe posted:

You could also use the level 1 NPCs mod which lets you set class, kit, spells, proficiences, and skills:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/level1npcs/

Though I don't know how compatible it would be the the Big World Project.

It is part of the Big World Project, and it gives some NPCs their classes.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
When I saw you were going to play a chaotic neutral anarchist bastard I was worried you'd pick all the psychotic murderer dialogue options. I'm very glad I was wrong, because this thread is fantastic and I love how you keep updating everyone's profiles.

Something that always bothered me in Baldur's Gate, though, is Silke. Why does she hire a group of people to kill a group of people she hired to carry gems she doesn't want? :confused:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Nanja Monja posted:

Something that always bothered me in Baldur's Gate, though, is Silke. Why does she hire a group of people to kill a group of people she hired to carry gems she doesn't want? :confused:
She'd set up a meeting to buy them and realised hiring adventurers was cheaper? I don't remember her having hired the others.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

In my BWP Tactics (everything installed) playtrhough I found a bunch of extra assassins I don't recall this group meeting. Most notably there was a group of Elves on the Bridge to Baldur's Gate with +2 long swords and Elven Chain +1 (AC 4).

Armor seems to function very differently in BWP - it looks like armors penalize dex instead of limiting max bonus from dex to AC so using Elven chain gives me a better AC than plate mail (AC 3) since the bonus from dex is unrestricted.

Shop prices seem insane too. 300gp for a healing potion? 10,000 for wand of magic missiles? 1 million for a wand of summoning? I don't know about Vorgen, but I altered these prices in the game a bit. It seems too late to update the mod values for jacking up prices, so I just half the cost of most goods by giving myself corresponding gold values via cheats.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I think in my game its only 150gp for a healing potion, so there may be other pricing differences as well. But I haven't run across any wands yet, and I haven't seen anything cost a million gold yet either, so I can't really confirm.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Don't install the Hard Times mod. It takes the whole "the region is in crisis, so we better make it reflect that" a bit too strongly.

Also Vorgen, just chipping in again to say you've got me playing BG1 to BG2 in ironman mode due to this LP again. Going Sorcerer, canon party, nobody's died yet all the way up to Chapter 5!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Vorgen, you can try the wizard merchant in the Freidnly Arm Inn behind the temple. If you have him. I know I haven't installed any mods beyond those in the Tactics package.

Olive Branch That makes sense. Are there any other mods I should try avoid installing or options I should change? Also, you are very lucky to avoid those level 1 deaths. I had my 14hp fighter killed by animals on the map right after Candlekeep may be 6 times in a row.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I don't think those merchants show up until after I clear out the Nashkel mines. Either that or I don't have them.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

pokie posted:

Vorgen, you can try the wizard merchant in the Freidnly Arm Inn behind the temple. If you have him. I know I haven't installed any mods beyond those in the Tactics package.

Olive Branch That makes sense. Are there any other mods I should try avoid installing or options I should change? Also, you are very lucky to avoid those level 1 deaths. I had my 14hp fighter killed by animals on the map right after Candlekeep may be 6 times in a row.
I got Sling proficiencies, Imoen slamming lots of arrows into those freaking wolves, and kited like the plague. After I got Khalid and Jaheira to be in melee and tanking, my Sorcerer was much, much safer. Except for Vampiric Wolves. Screw them. Nearly tore Khalid's head off, they did.

I installed Sword Coast Stratagems (and I highly recommend it too), but I wasn't so brave as to install the tactical challenge upgrades. Some of the fights are tough enough as it is! SCS is mainly for the AI intelligence upgrade, such as mages and clerics being smarter with spell casting, and the "better calls for help" actually making sense.

Other mods... hmm, I installed Rogue Rebalancing from aTweaks mostly to make pickpocketing worth doing, especially on an ironman run. I mean jeez guys, just because I flubbed my hand into your coin purse doesn't mean the entire loving city should immediately go hostile on me. The BG1 NPC Project and its musical counterpart was also installed mostly for flavor text and immersion. It's not god-awful, and I didn't add Shar-Teel to my party so none of that romance for me! BG2 Tweaks was installed for adding small things like Bags of Holding and NPC kicking management. Lastly, one I got mostly to improve the druidic Goodberry spell, D0Tweaks was a nice little addition.

I installed a few quest mods, these being Unfinished Business, Lure of the Sirine's Call, and the minor quests pack. We already saw a few of the minor quests pack in this LP, such as that guy turning into a slime due to a bad potion, and the family quarrel over the pearl necklace in Beregost. No fanmade NPCs were installed, mostly because I have difficulty enough as it is playing through all Bioware ones.

That's pretty much it!

EDIT: Interesting detail about the Hard Times mod. Apparently, as you complete chapters and solve problems, the stores in the game are updated to reflect normalcy returning to the region, thus lowering prices globally. However, since the stores are literally swapped to show different item prices, anything you sold before the store changes vanishes and can never be recovered.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 2, 2011

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

rakovsky maybe posted:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/
Oh hey, turns out that the two BG2 mods I suggested are still alive and well. Hey Vorgen, which mods will you be using for BG2?

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
So after realizing that I still have my disks, and wanting to try out the mods I spent the last two days (!) getting this set up. Now I just need to figure out what I want to play.

drat you, Vorgen!

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Oh hey, turns out that the two BG2 mods I suggested are still alive and well. Hey Vorgen, which mods will you be using for BG2?

All of the mods! Seriously, I can only answer by saying check the BiG World PDF for more details. The 10.0 version. Its up to 10.2 since I installed :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

In case anyone wants to see crazy modded prices, here are some wands.

And here is a bow I stole from a merchant in Beregost. I only fired it twice at stupid poo poo modders threw at me.

And bears hunting squirrels (see feedback text on the bottom).

• Locked thread