Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm convinced by the case some goons are making, and I changed my vote to kick our Viconia rather than Xzar. My vote post is edited accordingly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustafson I
Dec 29, 2008
C. I actually like Xzar, for one. Also, I want to see his payoff for this quest.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I'll vote C because Xzar kicks rear end. Plus Viconia is boring and is in every LP party ever.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Vorgen posted:

Remember to change your original vote posts if you want to change your vote.

I'm currently 1/3rd of the way through this cheat-tastic replay of the game to catch up to the current area and I should be able to finish it off in about 12 hours and give a real update. There have been a few differences this second playthrough due to additional mods that I managed to install or have been added to the latest BWP so I am cataloging the differences in a kind of alternate-reality flash-sideways a la LOST.

Looking forward to it! Replaying everything, let alone installing BGP twice is true masochism dedication.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I will vote C, Xzar is amusing and I want to see what he says in regards to the mines.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
C

Just going with the bandwagon in hopes of getting some fresh faces in our party!

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Changing from E to C

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Wait, Vorgen, are you replaying the whole game from the beginning? :aaa:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Yes, but its not really playing. Its more like touch major plot point, zap zap a few monsters with CTRL-Y, CLUAConsole:AdvanceRealTime(50000) to trigger banters, CLUAConsole:GiveXP(4500), CLUAConsole:GiveItem("Flame of the North",1), CLUAConsole:ExploreArea; rinse, repeat. I just want to make sure the banters and quest completions take the same general shape so I don't screw up the choices we've collectively made with the plot.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Does Xzar actually have any content in the mines? I thought him going there was just like Khalid and Jaheira - ie, to point the player in the right plot direction.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Vorgen did you start the Melicamp quest in this play through that you are doing now?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Does Xzar actually have any content in the mines? I thought him going there was just like Khalid and Jaheira - ie, to point the player in the right plot direction.

Honestly with the BG1NPC mod I'm not sure. But he's more likely to do something interesting than Viconia.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

logger posted:

Vorgen did you start the Melicamp quest in this play through that you are doing now?

Yes. I purposefully kept all of the same choices, except for 3 related to NPCs which you can find out about at the end of the update.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 22, 2011

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

23 Flamerule, 1369

Gameplay note: So saved games don't actually transfer from one install to another. I'm having to play through the entire thing all over again, following the path of my Let's Play so far. I'm using all the cheat codes I can to make sure everything plays out mostly the same as it did before, but there might be some differences. I'll screenshot those differences here.

As a mage, one thing you learn early is that the Weave is capricious. It intrudes upon your waking and your sleeping minds. Without good control, a novice mage can quickly be overwhelmed by the creative forces of the universe and burn himself out, mentally and physically. He can even lose his mind and go insane. At least this is what I was told at Candlekeep. Without the control that comes from complete understanding, an iron will, and total dominance over the Weave through the Art, you are in danger.

But I've never been that good at self-control. The Weave has a will of its own, and its own desires that it wishes to shape into existence in the universe. Who am I, as a simple elf, to always insist on getting my own way? So sometimes, when the weave surges against the mental blocks of my mind, I just... let it in.

Like now. It comes into my mind unbidden, and flows through my body, and I see visions. Visions of a future in a twisted hell, battling incarnations of evil I do not understand. Visions of battles in pink, pulsating hallways. Visions of battles in windswept crags, in dark, dank hallways, underneath the sea. So many battles. So much death and dying.

Then I also see visions of my past. I see myself in Candlekeep, speaking to Tethtoril in his red robes...

or were they grey? The Weave also shows me memories of the Gatewarden training me in the ways of combat, although my memories of those sessions are somewhat fuzzy.

Yes, Gatewarden. I would appreciate that.

Good, then, child. 'Tis one thing to maintain control o' yerself in the heat of battle but 'tis quite another to maintain one's authority o'er a group. I've arsked Obe the illusionist to run through a few simulations fer ye down in the storage cellars. Just follow me this way an' I'll unlock the door fer ye...

I remember fierce training sessions with scary-looking illusions.

I'm pretty sure Imoen did the same things, and that's how we were able to work so well together from the very beginning.

I remember talking to Sir Trun about Linda, and her thanks afterwards. She was dressed like a total slut... wasn't she?

Maybe... maybe he will fall in love with his fighting squire juat as he fell in love with the maiden once... Maybe. For now he has a task as a knight, as do I as squire.

May Lathander bless you with all his power. Farewell.

Wait a second here, I would have remembered that headgear. What's going on? I send a cautious thought of inquiry to the Weave, but do not get much response, other than the image of a great, leafy tree. The image of tree then resolves into an image of a forest, with Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen, Xzar, and I walking within.

Just practicin' my sneakin' up on people. Didn't mean to scare you.

Well, you d-didn't - q-quite.

Hey, c'mon. How am I gonna improve, if I don't practice?

I'd say you have the basics down very well. Next time, warn me what you are up to. That will make a real t-test for your abilities.

Yep! You're on!

Ok, that definitely did NOT happen. What the bloody hell is going on? I insist that the Weave leave. But the Weave don leave. I just get another impression of a great, leafy tree, its branches pulsating with a magical light. My vision begins to trace the organic shape of one branch in particular, following it until I reach a leaf of memory...

Yes this does look like Syvishtar judging by the description that was given to us. Hair and eye color match as do the facial and physical features.

This certainly does look like Syvishtar.

Shall you strike first or shall I?

Perhaps you should draw first blood and I'll draw the last.

Excellent idea my love! Now hold still Syvishtar and let us sever your head from your body. We will need it as proof to get our reward.

And then I am shown a vision of bloody murder with magical weapons far beyond my ken. I turn away in revulsion, and begin to push against the Weave. But the Weave does not let me go. I am shown a vision of branches again, a large one leading to a smaller one, and smaller and smaller still.

Usually everyone proves themselves, but there is something... disturbing about you.

I'll not be mocked, thou most slanderous harlot!

That would be hilarious if it had actually ever happened! I am not comfortable with what is going on. I feel dizzy, nauseous even. Why won't the magic leave me alone?! Trunk, branch, twig, leaf. Trunk-branch-twig-leaf. TRUNKBRANCHTWIG... oh. Different branches, different twigs. Different leaves. Is that important? My mind is forcibly turned to Firebead Elvenhair, living in Beregost.

Heya, Mr. E! Remember me? I'm the *second* kid of Candlekeep. We're goin' ta get ya book, no problem...

Imoen! Glad to see you, lass. Forgive me for not recognizing you immediately, but you have changed!

Sure thin', sir! No more aprons and bonnets for Imoen the Magnificent. Well, unless someone offers me a dragon's treasure horde to wear one.

We're goin' ta get ya book, no problem, Mr. E...

It's good to see a familiar face, eh, Syvishtar?

Then I distinctly remember scouring the stores in Beregost looking for the book. I remember finding it. I remember buying it. And I remember bringing it back to Firebead. I say remember because that is what it feels like. It doesn't feel like seeing a vision, it feels like it already happened. But I know it didn't!

Hmm... an odd choice of a reward, as well as an odd choice of words. Both set me ill at ease, to be truthful.

Much of history is unsettling, but I hope you will enjoy the book nonetheless.

Having Jaheira, in the vision, address me directly smacks me right in the heart and I am shaken to the core. She looked right at me. She knew it was me! Was that real? Did this really happen? I try to grasp some magic, form a spell, do something to gain control of the situation, but nothing works. I am swept along the mighty currents of the Weave without recourse. I may yet drown in these leaves of twigs of branches.

The book was the History of the Dead Three. The visions keep coming.

Yeah, that was a real rotten thing she tricked Syvishtar into doing!

You'll be much better off with us...

Syvishtar, he can join us, right? *giggles* He is cute and he is a real bard! Someone's gotta write ballads about my beauty and bravery, ya know?

You... you truly think that I am... er... cute?

Sure, the more the merrier.

If I get back to the Jovial Juggler and Garrick is just hanging out with the rest of my people I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose my whole mind. My hole mind. My wholly holey mind.

The Weave is feeding me visions faster now, and more throughly too. I can smell the dead-stink waft through the air as Bassilus dies surrounded by corpses of the twice-dead. And I can remember the feel of the marble on the soles of my shoes when I turn in his holy symbol to Keldath Ormlyr.

Not bad, Syvishtar. I wish I got half that for every man I killed, but a man has to be a freak before he is worth anything. Figures.

Have a care, lest your head have a price on it, one day.

But I can also remember that Shar-Teel died to Bassilus, and that we turned in his holy symbol before paying to resurrect her corpse. These two things exist in my mind and I do not know which memory to believe. Just five seconds ago only one was in my head and it was... it was... I don't remember. I don't remember what I could and could not remember five seconds ago. The elven mind is clearly inadequate for dealing with the realities of the multiverse. Ha!

From the Weave the sounds of incoherent screaming enter my mind. They grow louder and more insistent. Then they resolve into yet another vision, one of endless screaming slaughter with the paladin Laurel. We fought hard, and fought well, together.

A snippet of conversation also winds its way into my mind, lodging there as a false memory for all eternity.

You are one of the few among us whom I can respect.

Her company is refreshing but I am surprised I find it so.

I struggle and wince and groan inwardly in pain, all the contortions that I feel obligated to express as I try to regain control of my own consciousness. Eventually I seem to have everything under control. I can feel my ears, wiggle my toes, and smell the foul stench of this underground cave in which we stand. I think I feel a new appreciation for the multitude of choices, possibilities, and branching paths that brought me to this place. This place deep underground, where a gurgling slime creature vibrates air at me through his crude semblance of a mouth-hole.

It's a crazy, disgusting, ugly universe we live in. If only I could cut off some of the branches somehow...

Gameplay note: Ok, I have finished my reinstallation and re-play-through of the game with the latest version of the BWP, 10.2.1. I have purposefully tried to avoid doing anything differently, up to and including choosing the same conversation options in all conversations just to make sure nothing is messed up. There were only three exceptions. Currently, as of this moment, Montaron, Eldoth, and Garrick are all alive and well in the Jovial Juggler. If you remember, we kicked Montaron's and Eldoth's corpses to the curb way back in the day, while Garrick had something weird happen during the Silke fight and just disappeared. Here's what I'm thinking. We wait until one of our clerics gets high enough level to cast Raise Dead, and then we go visit the places where Montaron's and Eldoth's corpses are, and pretend like we resurrected them. If the thread is ok with that, we'll eventually do that. If the thread wants the dead to stay dead, though, I will just zap them with the all-consuming finger of god (CTRL-Y) and they die again. Garrick should have been able to be in our party all along, he just ran away too well when a Horror hit him during a fight. I think he might have run away through a locked door. We could say that he just wandered into the Jovial Juggler to see Imoen, and stumble upon him when we get back from the Nashkel mines. What say you on these issues?

1. Should we resurrect Montaron when we have a chance? Yes/No, and why?
2. Should we resurrect Eldoth when we have a chance? Yes/No, and why?
3. Should we recognize Garrick as a valid potential party member, even though we haven't seen him for literally months? Yes/No, and why?

Please let your votes be heard on these three issues. I need to go to sleep now, but tomorrow I can tally the Mur'Neth votes and continue with a new update on our quest. So we've got concurrent voting from two updates going on. I'm sure you guys can handle it though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Because MORE NPCS!!!

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 21, 2011

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Vorgen posted:

1. Should we resurrect Montaron when we have a chance? Yes/No, and why?
2. Should we resurrect Eldoth when we have a chance? Yes/No, and why?
3. Should we recognize Garrick as a valid potential party member, even though we haven't seen him for literally months? Yes/No, and why?
1. Depends. If Xzar survives the Nashkel Mines, then maybe Syvisthar will be indebted to Xzar's "guidance" and revive his long-lost partner-in-crime. If he doesn't survive... meh.

2. No. He doesn't have any connections to the group currently, so I don't see a compelling reason.

3. Yes. Why not? Maybe we can watch an Imoen-Garrick romance bloom.

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006
Honestly I am fine with all three being back, mainly because they are 3 more original characters that I feel don't get as much use in a typical run through; I know I have never used them much myself.

Out of curiosity, does this mean Ajantis is still gone as well?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Yes, all I had to do was recruit ajantis while I had 9 rep and then kick him out and he disappeared again. The whole ajantis character arc seemed like it was entirely normal and expected for a paladin. We didn't make one bad decision that caused him to leave, we consistently hung out with drow and cyric worshippers and we killed a kid. So the paladin leaving was pretty much inevitable. Conversely, Montaron and Eldoth being inaccessible to us after we gain the raise dead spell is only a game engine limitation. In dnd you should be able to cast raise dead on someone even if they aren't in your group, right?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Who the hell is Eldoth?

1. Sure, save Montaron. Because there might be more Xzar/Montaron bickering added in!

2. Seriously, who is Eldoth? Save him I guess. :confused:

3. Yeah, not our fuckup. We also need another pretty-boy for our party.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Slaan posted:

Who the hell is Eldoth?

An evil Bard. Does some sort of thing with Skie once we get to Baldur's Gate which might be entertaining, I don't know, I've never done it either in vanilla or BG1NPC. But I'd be interested in seeing it done for me by some guy on the internet.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Sure thin', sir! No more aprons and bonnets for Imoen the Magnificent. Well, unless someone offers me a dragon's treasure horde to wear one.

Somewhere... there is fanart of this.

Yes x3 because having them around won't hurt. Also, going to have to change my previous vote to C because at least we'd be getting rid of one of the everyone-and-their-dog-used-me characters for a bit.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Room full of Heroes! (Though these are two of the least heroic characters available and the third is the party chronicler.)

Save Everyone!

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
You really are a chaos mage man, because I still can't wrap my head around trying to get this to work.

All I know is I've been watching this installer go for about an hour and a half now and half the things have been 'skipped due to error'

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

1. No
2. No
3. Yes

The risk of permanent death raises the stakes.

Garrick just disappeared somehow, let's give him a second chance.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 21, 2011

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yes x3

We stopped doing permanent death. Only fair to give those guys a second chance. Who's Garrick again? :v:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JGBeagle posted:

Yes x3

We stopped doing permanent death. Only fair to give those guys a second chance. Who's Garrick again? :v:

Remember that bit where we get hired by Silke the mage in Baragost to murder those guys for her? The guy who actually found us and hired us is Garrick. He's supposed to join the party after that, but there was a bug and he just vanished instead.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

jng2058 posted:

Remember that bit where we get hired by Silke the mage in Baragost to murder those guys for her? The guy who actually found us and hired us is Garrick. He's supposed to join the party after that, but there was a bug and he just vanished instead.

I've been replaying BG1, and I had a good number of attempts where Garrick just happened to be standing in the path of Silke's lightning bolt. She's a heartless one, man.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Yes for all 3

No reason not to really.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Yes to all three NPCs.

(Changed my vote from Viconia to Xzar because while I never used Viconia in my own playthroughs I didn't use Xzar, either.)

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
More NPCs, save them all

There is no chance we will be able to level our army up properly, is there? What with the reduced XP rewards for everything.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Yes to all, because more characters is always better. Although I wonder, does Xzar's personality revert to less insanity if Montaron isn't dead?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Woebin posted:

Yes to all, because more characters is always better. Although I wonder, does Xzar's personality revert to less insanity if Montaron isn't dead?

Well, babbling to someone who's still alive is a lot saner than babbling to someone who is dead, right?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
1. No
2. No
3. Yes

The dead should stay dead. I see nothing against Garrick showing up at the Jovial Juggler, though.

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011
Bring them all back as I see no reason not to.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

1) NO
2) NO
3) NO

Let's maintain what continuity we have as much as we can.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Our army of loyal minions shall sweep across the face of Faerun! Not even death can hold back those bound to us by time, fate and the weave!

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

Our army of loyal minions shall sweep across the face of Faerun! Not even death can hold back those bound to us by time, fate and the weave!

I think that is Syvishtars second greatest asset in eventually winning out over the other children of Bhaal. His first is obviously to go back in time and try again and again until he wins, but the other is the sheer amount of skilled experts willing to work with him. Not even melissan has that many cumulative character levels at her disposal.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Yes
Yes
Yes

I haven't seen any of these NPCs in a playthrough and would like to correct this oversight.
But try to find good in-game reasoning for the resurrections.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

No
No
Yes

Montaron and Eldoth died legitimately permanent deaths. Garrick not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
Yes to all three! Although I agree that permanent death raises the stakes, it should come from getting gibbed and not from not getting raised.

• Locked thread