Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Tax Refund posted:

Ha! I just realized who Jaheira and Khalid remind me of.

Hmm, funny, Khalid told me the same story, only he said it was *you* who was standing all by yourself.

Oh? That's an interesting... piece of lore.

Ahem! Actually, we were *both* standing by ourselves... but getting back to wood lore - did you know that grubs can be quite tasty?... No one can cook them like Jaheira!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Have you ever been with a warrior woman?

These are great. I'm really hoping Khalid ends up actually saying that.

Servetus posted:

Yeah, it's amazing how easy it is to forget one of the ancient laws of Baldur's Gate:

Don't leave the road till level 3 or Nashkel.

Yes, such a simple, and hard to remember, law. The north-south axis of the Friendly Arm Inn, Beregost, and Nashkel is relatively peaceful, but go too far east or west and you're in some deep poo poo. But at level one the rule is true even within area maps. And actually if I remember right its rather difficult to fight your way to Nashkel too. It's advisable to spend some quality time in Beregost before heading that far south.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Raise Imoen. I never liked Khalid or Eldoth.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Save Everyone. Eventually.

Do this, just because that whole blackmail and kidnapping thing sounded fun. Besides, we obviously need all the bodies we can get.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Ok, so 15 votes to raise Imoen, and none against. She's definitely getting rezzed. 11.5 votes to raise Khalid (I counted "maybe" or "if you have money" as half votes) and 1 against. I guess I'll try to rez him if there's money. Finally, 3 to rez eldoth and 8 against. Poor fool's stayin dead.

There's plenty of other bards, anyways.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

7 Mirtul, 1369

Jaheira and Khalid were right about the bandit scalps. Gellana at the Temple of Wisdom says she honors a bounty on bandit scalps of 10 gold per. We sell them all to her, and gratefully. Without those funds, we would never have been able to raise Khalid. Imoen was easy, but the armor and weapons we carted with us were only 1 or 2 or at maximum 7 gold apiece, and we didn't have enough room to carry more. It wouldn't have been enough, otherwise.

Now that Imoen and Khalid are safe and sound again I notice we haven't brought Eldoth's body with us. I suggest that we go back, but nobody is willing to do so. Hungry, weary, spell-less, and still almost dead, it is all that we can do to limp back to the Friendly Arm Inn to rest up. When we are sorting through equipment and items, giving everybody back their stuff, we find two strange items not really noticed before.

Jaheira says that she picked that up off of the main bandit captain. She says we should probably return the insignia to the Silvershields when we get to Baldur's Gate. I can do nothing but agree. So much death surrounds me. What else can I do?

The ring looks old, but I don't know what to do with it. I decide to ask Bentley.

I've found this peculiar ring on some hobgoblins right north of the entrance. Do you happen to know who's the rightful owner?

It seems like Joia's father's ol' ring. She lives near the gate, if ya want to return it to her.

Got it. What services do you have to offer, by the way?

We rest for several days in warm, mostly-mouseless rooms.

During that time I have a chance to study the artifact Imoen accidentally created. However, in the end I just give up. I can't for the life of me figure out what it does.

I give it back to her with a warning to be careful. She just laughs. I also have a chance to study some strange arrows we picked up after the last fight.

Gameplay note: All the bandits have these arrows. They hurt. I didn't check the combat logs but those arrows might be what took out so many people. The bandit camp is REALLY going to hurt unless someone is high level enough to cast some sort of cold protection spell by the time we get there.

I give those to Imoen too. She seems to go through her growing collection of arrows and hum happily to herself several times a day now. I also examine the strange potion we picked up a few days ago.

After I realize what it is, I drink it then and there, instead of waiting for a fight.

I dun feel differn'.

After a few more days of rest, we ask around and find directions to Joia's house.

We all tromp over for a visit. I let Imoen do the talking.

Let me guess, you lost a ring and you need me to recover it for you?

How'd you know? Do you have something to do with it?

Actually, I've already found your ring and Bentley told me where I could find you. Here, take it.

I thank you. This ring was a gift when I set out on my own. Couldn't bear the thought of some smelly old hobgoblin having it. You are a good sort, and I'll say so to anyone that asks.

Gameplay note: For giving the nice lady back her ring, we get 181 xp and +1 reputation. No money tho, the cheapskate.

I am content with going back to the Inn to rest again, but Jaheira has something to say about that.

I decide to search again for the Fashionable Ogre, and continue south to Nashkel. When we arrive at the Coast way, it is dark. We still have a lot to explore, so I send out my cat again.

My familiar effortlessly scouts around in the darkness, covering cliff and tree, hill and dale, until it does find a hostile ogre. I call it back so that we can fight together.

Before we can get into position though, we are ambushed by a worg.

I get the deathblow on it with an arrow; nobody got hurt. When we get near to the ogre, I put everybody in a firing line, and send Haiass and my cat to lure it out. It works.

A few arrows, a few sword thrusts, and it goes down with just one hit to my cat. I thought my cat would be a better fighter than it is. I ask Jaheira to heal it again. We search the ogre's corpse, and find the belt!

Scratching my hip absent-mindedly, I let out a little giggle and put the belt on.

It's a little tight. I'm not sure what I was hoping for here. We continue to patrol the area, and find a few more worgs, and a few more bandits. We kill, scalp, and loot them all as appropriate. Aside from a rather large and inaccessible cliff to the northeast, my cat declares everything else empty. We can consider this area to be secure as well! I guess we're real adventurers?

We head south to Beregost. It only takes 4 hours.

When we arrive, it is morning again.

Beregost entrance movie!

Imoen seems happy to finally reach the town, and her enthusiasm is contagious.

Looks great to me. What do you think we should do first?

Let's find a nice place and get some rooms. I haven't had a hot bath in ages! They say Feldepost's is a good inn; we should try there.

After that, I'm going shopping. We need some supplies. Let's see...

We need a new frying pan, since you ruined the one we have.

I ruined? As I recall, YOU were the one who left it on the fire all night...

Details, details. Was yer idea to have me cook. Um... what else? Some new blankets, soap, lantern oil, spare tent pegs... er... I think I kinda misplaced your hunting knife so we'll have to get a new one of those. I need some new clothes, too. My pink tunic got ripped in that last fight.

Um... Imoen? ALL of your tunics are pink... and cloaks... and boots... and gloves...

But that was my favorite! Soooo... I'll need a new one! There's lots we need. Hope we have enough money...

Well, c'mon, slowpoke. I wanna have a look around.

But before we can go anywhere, we are greeted by two approaching men.

Certainly. If you could direct me to an affordable Inn I would much appreciate it.

We have many Inns for the frugal adventurer. The Red Sheaf has basic rooms, though the clientele is a touch rowdy. There is also the Burning Wizard and the Jovial Juggler, which also have finer suites. The Red Sheaf is near the center of town, as is the Burning Wizard. The Jovial Juggler is a bit further along, and sits on the southern edge of the city.

I need some well-made weapons and armor. Do you have a good smithy?

We have the best smithy in all the Realms. Taerom "Thunderhammer" Fuiruim runs the Thunderhammer Smithy in the eastern side of town. He has a few exceptional items as well, though you could also check Feldepost's Inn. They carry trophy items, though you had best be rich as kings. Feldepost's Inn is in the west, closer to the south edge of town.

Thanks for your help.

No problem, friend. Enjoy your stay.

Wait... no, wait... can I ask you something?

Absolutely, what is bugging you?

It looks like you haven't been in Beregost for a long time... Maybe you need a skillful wanderer... I can handle this wonder nicely...

Are you talking about this flail?

Certainly, about it and myself...

I hope that you're really good with it, come on.

I'm very glad to join you, Beregost is a nice town, but I'm being drawn to adventures...

Is there anything else?

Uhm... how should I tell you... At Feldepost's I pledged my favourite flail, you know, I needed money for a living... If we get some gold, I could take it back...

How much then?

At least 1000 gp... Eekhm... I also commissioned an armor at Taerom's smithy... For 5000 gp... I don't even know how I would be able to pay for it... However he told me the job would take much time to finish due to my orders...

There will be plenty of time to think about it. Let's move.

Will, Will... I have been looking for you for quite some time... oh... I found something that probably belongs to you...

Don't say a word... you found my ring, didn't you, brother?

Ah, yes, here is your los...

Thanks, good friend (in fact, I'm sure you personally took it off of my finger). I need it.

You're welcome, good bye.

Gameplay note: See, we kill one bard and another one crops up in his place. They're like rats! Lets take a look at this one.

Will has higher strength and lower charisma, and low abilities otherwise all around. He looks really smug for a dude who's pretty average. Big thing to note here is that he's almost ready to level, just needs 250 more xp. Also, he's a troubadour.

You can imagine him at later levels, dual-wielding flails and wading into melee combat like some kind of twirling dervish. He could even wield the Flail of Ages, if he lives that long... He comes with standard equipment, and a ring that is unidentified. Wouldn't he know his own ring? Oh well.

I'm not sure if its a plus or a minus that he has 6,000 gold worth of equipment waiting for him to pick up. He's definitely not going to see that poo poo soon, though!

You guys mind Will Scarlet? Or should we drop him off at the nearest inn?

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 3, 2012

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

vilkacis posted:

I'm pretty sure that dialogue was introduced by a mod, so we probably shouldn't blame Bioware for that, at least. (Though there are still plenty of things we can and should blame them for.)

Oh, it's definitely mod dialogue. I was referring more to the eventual (and ignoble) fates of the characters in question.

Also, keep Will Scarlet. He's a mod character I'm not familiar with, and I want to see how much of a trainwreck he is.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Wait, what happened to the second belt the ogre had in the original game?

Modders! :argh:

Oh well, if we don't have any Girdle of Sex Change hijinks going on, we might as well return that girdle to its owner for the XP reward.

Will Scarlet's abilities posted:

Has a bard song called "Scarlet Rush" (This song causes a slight blood rush in allies and cause [sic] them to gain 1 extra attack per round; the effectiveness of the song increases at higher levels)

:wth: Is that as broken as I think it is? :wth:

Either the modder who created Will wanted his song to be an easy-mode switch for the party, or else they created Will because they expect you to need an extra attack per round for everyone at level 1. I don't know which one worries me more.

Vorgen posted:

You guys mind Will Scarlet? Or should we drop him off at the nearest inn?

Definitely keep him until level 3, as insurance against another party-killing encounter. Two attacks per party member, plus bows (or crossbows) for everyone = your party will be a murder machine. That might make the game too easy, though (unless the mods have really upped the difficulty), so ditch him later on once you can survive on your own.

Don't ditch him permanently, though (unless he's gibbed). Leave him at a local inn (and if he's dead, raise him first) so that you can recruit him again later. Just in case you need the extra combat power his song provides.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Tax Refund posted:

:wth: Is that as broken as I think it is? :wth:

Actually, he's a single-class bard originally, I kinda changed him to troubadour because the Scarlet Rush thing seemed like a perfect fit for him... and not because its a super-awesome ability. Nope, not at all!

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Keep him, because he's Ben Stiller, but more ~unique~. And while the ability seems insanely good, the game is also pretty difficult with these mods, so it evens out I guess.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I say you keep him, every party needs some music after all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You should always be at six characters, so keep him for now. I reserve the right to vote to boot his sorry rear end should a better replacement comes along.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Vorgen posted:

...low abilities otherwise all around. He looks really smug for a dude who's pretty average...

Ouch.

My old-school DnD character who has 13 as his highest stat cries.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

Funny that this LP popped up just as I started loving around with BG again and tried to install this mod. I'm going to vote Khalid go Duskblade, because it sounds the most interesting of the options to me.

I actually have been having trouble getting the Big World Project to work, and this seems like as good a place as any to ask if anybody here's run into a similar problem. I installed the original Baldur's Gate to C:/Black Isle/Baldur's Gate as suggested, but when it gets to be time to actually install the mods it runs into an error telling me it cannot locate my BG installation folder, where it loops. Some internet browsing said this can come up when you're missing files, but I tried replacing them all and I've tried two different sets of disks, DVD and CD, so I honestly am not sure what it could be. I am running on windows 7, though. Anybody run into any problems like this?

Back on topic, I'm looking forward to seeing you tackle some of this ridiculous poo poo.

A bit late, but you have to set up a pause (right click when customizing the components before installing BGT) and then install it manually (By running stup_BGT.exe or something like that). Basically the new scripting functions implemented in the absoulte last version of the mod make it pipe C\Whatever\Whatever instead of C:\Whatever as it should. Basically the : gets parsed as an advanced condition.

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006
I love how... everything Will Scarlet said... ended in ellipses...

Seriously though, people seem to think you can just throw them in all over the loving place or something when writing dialogue.

You may as well keep him for now, that ability sounds hilarious.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

9 Mirtul, 1369

Beregost is a pretty big city - at least compared to Candlekeep. It's going to take a long time to explore this whole place! I walk into town, wide-eyed. Not two minutes into the town, I encounter a lady in distress.

You think I can help you in any way? Maybe you should tell me what happened then.

My neighbor, Eltolth... he's inside the house... Please follow me! I will show you!

We follow her inside the house, where we see something... weird.

Er... You mean the slime, yes? Is... was that your neighbor?

Yes, I fear so. Have a look at this empty bottle...

I found this empty flask on the floor. Seems like he drank sometihing... Oh my!

*blushes slightly* Normally, I wouldn't go straight into his house. But, I had an appointment with him, and nobody answered the door... I started to worry...

Please have a look around. I'm sure Eltolth wouldn't mind, if it helps you to find a hint of what happened here. Please, find a way to restore him!

Thank you very much in advance. I don't want to leave him alone right now.

I take a look at the bottle she gave us.

No warranty! Blast! Imoen starts ransacking the room, and stops by the slime to check it out closer.

*Poke it*

*The slime wobbles in something that could be interpreted as indignation.*

*Look at the slime*

*You take a close look.*

*Half sunken into the slime you notice a diary. The pages are unharmed.*

Tulbor, the usual place, cheaper potions. That does not sound good at all.

Yes, we found this diary. There is someone called "Tulbor" mentioned. You do not happen to know anything about this person, by any chance?

"Tulbor...?" No, I am sorry. I've never heard of such a person. But please, do not give up the search!

Poking the slime again and looking into the other room don't yield any more clues, so we tell the lady we'll be back if we hear anything else and head out. I ask Will to show us where the smithy is, because we have some equipment to sell. He shows us the quickest way. On the way, Imoen talks to some passers-by. She's a real social butterfly.

Taerom has a wide selection of weapons and armor, including masterwork weapons. They cost about 1500 gold though, which is way out of our budget for right now. What is in our budget, however, is a Large Shield for Khalid. It only costs 30 gold!

As much as I'd like to stay in the city and find that Tulbor fellow, and of course explore, kill the spiders in that lady's house, and all the other things we could possibly do, the silent stares of Jaheira and Khalid urge me onward, and I find myself at the southern end of the city preparing to leave.

Just stick to the road and everything will be fine. 8 hours of sticking to the road later, we pass a child standing beside it.

Do your parents know where you are?

Momma thinks I'm playin' at Betsie Finkle's house, but her grandma smells funny so I never go over there. I just told momma I was there so she wouldn't worry. I'll pick some fruit or berries or whatever, and momma can make pies to sell or something. I'm safe, cuz I'm small and quick.

Holy poo poo kid, I'm about to say, when he disappears. I guess he is small and quick. Hopefully he won't get murdered. We follow the road south, as quietly as possible. Unfortunately we find some freshly-killed people and the Ogrillon that did it right in the road.

I tell Imoen to use the artifact she made on the ogrillons, hoping it would be offensive in nature. She does, but the magic goes to her instead of them.

She, laughs, twirls around, and looses another arrow. This girl is never going to learn the danger of magic. But in a few seconds, the monsters are down, so all is still well in the world.

Gameplay note: I've never actually seen Imoen's sub-quest with the book before. It looks like it's a once-a-day potion of master thievery. Although, does a potion of master thievery do more than raise DEX by 1 point? I coulda sworn it does.

On the bodies of the monsters we find a poorly-written letter.

Honest enough he was, I guess, but still dead. We'll have to get this to the right person, assuming we can find out who that is. We keep following the road south, when we are stopped by some very heavily-armed guys.

You have obviously been standing in the sun for too long, soldier, as your head has clearly overheated. I suggest that you cease this foolishness, and let us pass. We are expected by the mayor of Nashkel, himself.

The mayor of Nashkel himself, eh?

You've got the wrong guys; we're not part of any bandit gang.

Really now, and why should we believe you?

If we were bandits, why were we walking out in the open? Come on, just let us go, we're not the people you're looking for.

All right, maybe I was wrong about the bunch of you. You're free to go.

Those guys really piss me off. Who do they think they are, stopping innocent civilians who are just trying to walk down the road? It's the Monk trying to keep us down, all over again! We continue walking south until we see another road sign. We're definitely on the right path!

We continue south for the next four hours. Eventually we come to a bend in the road that goes between two cliffs. I feel an ambush coming on, so I send my cat out ahead.

The trail wanders to the west, and my cat follows it. Soon enough she sees some hobgoblins lying in wait on the road, just as I feared.

I step out in front of everyone, telling them to hang back, I got this. Confidently I stroll up, and just within range, I call upon the weave through a Nahal's Reckless Dweomer to cast Grease on the hobgoblins. Instead of that, though, the magic refreshes all my spells.

Since I had just cast that one spell, I think the magic was trying to tell me that Grease was not appropriate for the occasion. I retreat back and ponder the lessons learned today as the rest of the party advances on the hobgoblins. But I'm too impatient to meditate, so after a few seconds I try to cast Grease again.

Spectral fingers appear over the furthest hobgoblin, and a lightning bolt flies across the ground, killing him instantly. Ahh, now I see! Forget crowd control, just go for the kill! Oh, the magic is wise! I throw an Azragan's next. The hobgoblin explodes in a shower of icy chunks.

HAHA! Oh yes, long will I remember the lessons of this day! Mine enemies shall all be as ICY CHUNKS! Haiass takes out the last monster, and I giggle apprecatively. ICY CHUNKS! We loot and move on down the road, now heading west. Soon we run into a couple of kobolds.

We cut them down and take their short swords before they can so much as blink. Right after that, we run into a green-looking dude, but he doesn't want to fight.

I would have sworn that you're a half-orc, when seeing you from a distance, but your appearance does not match your looks.

Forgive my talkativeness. I know I can't conceal my orcish heritage, and it's given me a lot of unnecessarily unpleasant confrontations in the past.

Well then, now I will leave and continue on my way to Baldur's Gate, where my beloved is waiting!

Heh, half-orcs falling in love. Next you'll see dogs and cats living... oh. Right. I have just gotten used to the idea of half-orcs loving other half-orcs when another crazy thing happens.

Sure, what's the rules and reward for winning.

I win and you give me 20 gold. In the unlikely event that one of you bests me, I'll pledge my sword to your cause.

Sounds good to us.

Will your champion step forward? I only fight men, so your women will have to be satisfied with just watching. Don't entertain any thoughts about cheating. If any of the rest of you try to interfere in this fight I'll kill them outright.

Khalid steps up to the challenge, immediately starting to duel. I am pretty impressed, actually. I guess he's accustomed to dealing with strong women.

I motion to Will to play a little something as background music. He gets the idea and starts in with his Scarlet Rush. There is a lot of whiffing, a little bit of clanging, but Khalid gets in the first hit.

And the only hit necessary, it turns out.

Good, you had better prove your worth.

Of course I'll prove my worth! It won't be too hard in this group.

Honestly, she's got a point. I decide to let her take Xzar's place.

Our paths must run apart for a while. If I should need your help again, though, we should rendezvous at the Jovial Juggler in Beregost.

Hooray! A way in which I can be useful to our happy family! And without having to spend any more time in the company of fools.

Gameplay note: Well, we now have our very own psychotic bitch! Hooray!

That STR score is 18/58, sorry about the font. Her CON is pretty low for a fighter, and INT pretty high. Her Sellsword kit is interesting.

I don't know if you caught on, but Shar-teel is a big lady. She comes with studded leather armor, a helmet, and a two-handed sword.

2D6 damage. Pretty powerful stuff.

We keep running into so many new characters its hard to keep up with them all. Thankfully we have managed to keep some alive long enough so that we can send one back to the Inn. I chose the Jovial Juggler to send Xzar to because it is the closest Inn to get to from our current position as almost at Nashkel. If you would prefer Xzar to Shar-teel we can easily go pick him up again. Let me know your opinions on the subject.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 13, 2011

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Let's see how long this psycho bitch lives before we think of switching her out with Xzar or someone else. With only 9 Con and our mortality rate I don't think she'll live thaaaat long.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Let's see how long this psycho bitch lives before we think of switching her out with Xzar or someone else. With only 9 Con and our mortality rate I don't think she'll live thaaaat long.

This. All Most of our casualties so far have been melee fighters (I think Imoem was the only exception), so it's not likely she'll last that long. But at least she's not a Zhentarim agent, so hey, she's better than Xzar.

Keep her for now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

You've got to love the... disconnect between 'Imoen will never learn the dangers of magic' and 'I TURN YOU INTO A SLURPIE! AHAHAHAH!'

Also, good Christ, is Will's portrait ugly. Why couldn't they have used the original version of that floating about?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You've got to love the... disconnect between 'Imoen will never learn the dangers of magic' and 'I TURN YOU INTO A SLURPIE! AHAHAHAH!'

I'm trying to start out subtle with a descent into madness and work up to the blatant stuff later :).

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Cooked Auto posted:

Seriously, low constitution, lowered dexterity because of her class AND a two-handed weapon. Just kill her yourself and be done with it.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

9 Mirtul, 1369

When we meet Shar-Teel we are most of the way to Nashkel.

We just have to go a little further down the road, and 8 more hours of uneventful travel lay ahead of us. We cautiously make our way southwest, and are immediately set upon by bandits!

They aren't a threat. After we take care of business, we meet an extremely well-dressed man. You know, for being a perilous journey full of bandit problems this road is freakin' busy.

Bah! I have heard of such a city but I have my doubts as to whether it even exists!

Perhaps not yet, but soon.

Gameplay note: Yes people, Bioware was planning to make Neverwinter Nights even back in 1998. Strange that I still prefer Infinity Engine games to Aurora Engine games though.

We continue south, and travel another 8 hours, finally coming to the quaint little town of Nashkel.

Nashkel introduction movie! (Which also brings us to Chapter 3)

We arrive at night, and are greeted with a grisly scene.

Who poisoned you?

They... I... I've stolen some herbs from Seniyad... give me... give.. wa... wate...

Death

I rush over to the man, but it is too late. He is already gone. I look at his corpse, and find some strange herbs on it.

Gameplay note: Ok, that is an impressive backstory for a leaf. All that to know that it is worth about 200 flasks of potion? The others are less in-depth, as it were.

Well, if this guy stole these herbs from Seniyad, I suppose we should find this Seniyad and return the herbs, eh? Too bad there's no way to know where she could be in this whole wide world.

As I walk across the small bridge leading into town, I feel as though my wolf is somehow different.

The little guy seems stronger, faster, more competent somehow.

Gameplay note: Woot! 30 hit points! He's been indispensible in battle so far, and now he will be even more terrifying against bandits and wild dogs.

I am glad, as always, to have him on my side. Unfortunately we get harrassed by some heavily-armed men again, as soon as we step across the bridge.

I am Syvishtar and this is my band of fellow adventurers. I hear that this is a troubled region as of late. Allow me to put ourselves at your disposal during our stay here.

If you're seeking to resolve troubles, welcome. If you're seeking to cause them, kindly take it elsewhere... Things are not good here, Syvishtar.

What things aren't good? All I have heard are rumors and vague suspicions.

Aye, what IS good around here, anymore? Our iron is rotten and there is talk of demons in the mines. The lower levels have been all but abandoned until this crisis passes. And then there is the question of Commander Brage... Ack, they have stripped him of that title but I use it yet... He killed his wife and children in a rage one night and all who saw him. Then he tore himself away and headed for the hills. He is out there still and still we mourn, as much for him as for those he's taken... Fie on you, now! You have brought tears to the eyes of a soldier!

Oh, these tender males of Nashkel! One's gone off his rocker, and another weeps over his fate! I hope that nobody *here* dares to tell me that men are the stronger sex!

I doubt anyone will tell you anything at all.

I laugh to myself. Iceburn on the psychobitch. Although she got in a few good digs on the law as well. When are these people going to leave us alone?

Oh, I shouldn't forget about what the guy said. Demons in the mines. A crazed family-killing watch commnander. This place seems pretty harsh.

As always, Imoen gets friendly with the locals.

We see a sign for a store, and go in to do some business. We're greeted with yet another story.

We sell and have enough gold to buy Shar-Teel some decent splint mail armor. She can wear plate, but plate costs 1800 gold. Judging by the prices on all the equipment around here, either the iron shortage is really messing with the economy or everybody is unbelievably rich outside of Candlekeep.

In order to placate Jaheira, we next go to see the mayor. We find him walking the road, bow in hand. I like this guy's style. Very hands-on. Proactive. Probably watching our every move.

What exactly is the trouble here?

I can't believe you haven't guessed. Have you heard of the iron shortage? Well, Nashkel is in the thick of it. Our mine is all but shut down because the workers continually go missing, and what ore we do get is tainted somehow. I would send in the town guards, but we need them to protect our citizens from the bandits that raid our caravans. We need you to find out what is wrong in the mines southeast of town.

I will do what I can.

Thank you. You will be the toast of the town if you can help.

Onwards we march then, Syvishtar. As this is your first mission, I fear that my skills as a healer will be heavily tested. Nevertheless, I will try to return all of us to Berrun still in one piece and victorious.

Gameplay note: Ok, we have some decisions to make. The quests are piling up and our next direction is a little unclear. I felt obligated to go down to Nashkel to talk to the mayor to placate Jaheira and Khalid. There was a four day countdown starting when Jaheira's last comment about going to Nashkel played back up at the Friendly Arm Inn, and they would either complain again or just up and leave after time was up. But now that we satisfied their impatience we're free to go back and pick up loose ends. We could also just dive right into the Nashkel mines for our first big dungeon crawl. Thirdly, Minsc is in this town. We could meet up with him and help him go save his witch! But remember that the entire party is still level 1.

SO, which direction would you prefer to see the party go now?

1. Back to Beregost: We need to tie up loose ends up there, visit the Temple of Lathander, visit High Hedge and attempt to bribe the flesh golem away from Thalantyr with all these gems that are completely filling Imoen's backpack, buy some spells, get some easy xp, and try to level up a bit before we tramp off into the wilderness.

2. West with Minsc: Butt-kicking for goodness! I want to see Minsc's class right now! And Dynaheir's too. Plus that long, long trek out west is going to be fun. Remember we have to pass by the xvart village and they all run out after us? Good times! We could probably find and kill that white wolf the shopkeeper mentioned while we're at it.

3. Down to Demons: We must solve this Iron Crisis ASAP. Jaheira and Khalid need to see that we aren't weak and indecisive. We can take care of business just like the best of adventurers. Onward to the Nashkel mines! Besides, we can pick up Xan the Bladesinger at the end, someone who I personally hope to make a permanent addition to the party.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 11, 2011

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I would say that acquiring Minsc would help us survive a bit better, if nothing else.
So, GET MINSC.
Then, we can go back to Beregost.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Well, remember, when we pick up Minsc we have again picked up a timer, this time on rescuing Dynaheir. If we don't do that Minsc eventually leaves.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Haha, I forgot that.
He also leaves if she is killed.kicked out, doesn't he?
Still, I stand with Getting Minsc and securing his place in the party.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Mmmm, I think he leaves if she dies too, yah. He goes back to Rasheman or something.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Get Minc and Xzar and Head West by kicking out Psychobitch

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'd say 3, 1, 2 in that order. Even if 1 and 2 are inter-changeable in my vote. Important thing is getting the mines done.

Whitecloak
Dec 12, 2004

ARISE
Get Minsc and Boo and head to save Dynaheir. gently caress psychobitch, maybe pick of Xzar if we have the rooms, kill poo poo, smoke trees.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

We could kick out Ben Stiller and Psychobitch and pick up Edwin and Minsc both, then stand back and let Dynaheir and Edwin have their little magical duel when they finally both meet...

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 11, 2011

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

I'd say 3, 1, 2 in that order. Even if 1 and 2 are inter-changeable in my vote. Important thing is getting the mines done.

I second this vote.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Can I discourage you by saying that kobolds have been known to swarm this time of year?

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

We can't get the mines done at level 1 and survive.

It's been ages since I played BG, and I don't remember how XP works on new party members: do they join you at a similar level to your current level? If by waiting until we're level 2 or 3 to recruit Minsc, would we get a Minsc who's level 2 or 3? The answer might change my vote.

Edit: Found it at GameFAQs: "The level you recruit an NPC at is based on your XP when you first talk to the NPC." So I vote that we go back to Beregost now and turn in sidequests, then come back and talk to Minsc once we've hit level 2 or 3. Then go rescue Dynaheir, then go to the mines.

2nd edit: vvvvv If that's how it works now, then my reasoning is the same: turn in sidequests now (they're the best source of XP at low levels), then get Minsc once we're at level 2 or 3 so that we can all survive to reach Dynaheir.

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 11, 2011

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Tax Refund posted:

We can't get the mines done at level 1 and survive.

It's been ages since I played BG, and I don't remember how XP works on new party members: do they join you at a similar level to your current level? If by waiting until we're level 2 or 3 to recruit Minsc, would we get a Minsc who's level 2 or 3? The answer might change my vote.

The answer is another mod - when you meet a new character, a mod will take away or add xp to them to approximately match the xp of the protagonist, give or take a few hundred xp. This only happens when they first join, and not if they get kicked out and rejoin later. So no matter who we pick up, or when we pick them up, they will be an appropriate level for us.

Conversely, if we drop somebody off at an Inn and leave them alone for a few months, then they will be behind us in xp.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

1 before 3 because kobold archers.

As for Minsc, I support skipping him (or at least dumping him once his quest is over). It's going to get pretty dull if this turns into yet another BG1 "canon" party run, especially with all these mods installed and all the original BG1 NPCs moved to places where you can actually get them before half the game is over.

Though, I fully expect to be brutally outvoted here. v:geno:v

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vorgen posted:

Can I discourage you by saying that kobolds have been known to swarm this time of year?

Aaah. I see your point. 1, 2, 3 then. Hopefully the couple won't be too bitchy about that. (Even if that house in Beregost may be troublesome.)

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Oh, and in case Vorgen is doing a preference-voting thing, I should clarify my vote.

I vote for 1, then 2, then 3.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

As much as I love Minsc, I'd say don't take him to the party. We've all played Baldur's Gate many times and know him. I'd rather if you took as many new or uncommon NPCs as possible.

That said, if you really want Minsc, get rid of Khalid and Jaheira and keep Shar-teel!

EDIT: My vote is clear the mines with Khalid and Jaheira, then kick them out of the party.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
1, then 2 and 3. Ditch Minsc after you find Dynaheir. Ditch Jaheira and Khalid after the mines. Keep Shar-Teel, and, if you meet that bookish gnome from Candlekeep again, get her into the party.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vorgen posted:

I stand by my vote of "mines first" :colbert:

Even though by the look of things I will get outvoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

markus_cz posted:

EDIT: My vote is clear the mines with Khalid and Jaheira, then kick them out of the party.

That is what I like to call "wasting XP" goon sir :colbert:

• Locked thread