Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fruits of the sea posted:

The writing was ok and his obsession with death makes for good foreshadowing

I too hope he passes soon, maybe Edwin will mistake his target next time.

VVVVVVV: drat shame that...

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Brainamp posted:

I too hope he passes soon, maybe Edwin will mistake his target next time.

IIRC, Xan dies for good in BG2 if you romanced him as an elf.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Cythereal posted:

Gosh. That'll be a real shame.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

Cythereal posted:

Color me confused - is Xan something other than an elf at some point?
Or does the Xan romance have special stuff that happens if your character is also an elf?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sejs Cube posted:

Color me confused - is Xan something other than an elf at some point?
Or does the Xan romance have special stuff that happens if your character is also an elf?

The latter. Xan will cut off the BG1 romance early if you're a half-elf, but that's also the only way to romance him in BG2 and ToB without him dying.

On the other hand, according to what I've read, if you romance Xan as an elf and he dies, you can then trigger a ToB romance with Valygar.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Cythereal posted:

The latter. Xan will cut off the BG1 romance early if you're a half-elf, but that's also the only way to romance him in BG2 and ToB without him dying.

On the other hand, according to what I've read, if you romance Xan as an elf and he dies, you can then trigger a ToB romance with Valygar.

What possible connection can there be between Valgyar and Xan?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Vorgen posted:

They're characters in BG2...

Isn't that enough?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vorgen posted:

You're asking me to explain that modder's mind? I've hung around the BG modding community for a while and am familiar with many of the mods and personalities involved, but figuring out Kulyok is something else altogether. A couple of modders I know have described her as a force of nature, quite technically competent and a very good writer in her own way, but unpredictable, generally quite vitriolic in personality, and otherwise temperamental.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
So does anyone have any insight as to why there's now a clock counting down to noon Pacific time tomorrow on the Baldur's Gate website? A countdown to some sort of announcement, maybe?

http://baldursgate.com/

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

So does anyone have any insight as to why there's now a clock counting down to noon Pacific time tomorrow on the Baldur's Gate website? A countdown to some sort of announcement, maybe?

It's counting down until the return of Bhaal. Everyone who has ever played a Baldur's Gate game will die and have their lifeforce harvested to facilitate the rebirth of the Lord of Murder.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sejs Cube posted:

It's counting down until the return of Bhaal. Everyone who has ever played a Baldur's Gate game will die and have their lifeforce harvested to facilitate the rebirth of the Lord of Murder.

I will be the last!

And you will go first...

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Sejs Cube posted:

I will have died for a great cause

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I am unreasonably excited about this. Damnit, I thought I had shrugged off my vulnerability to stupid marketing gimmicks and moved on to better things!

Garbageman
Jun 6, 2004

Here I come! Too-Too-Toodlin' along!

Vorgen posted:

I am unreasonably excited about this. Damnit, I thought I had shrugged off my vulnerability to stupid marketing gimmicks and moved on to better things!

Only 12 1/2 hours to go!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Vorgen posted:

If it makes you feel better, I'm running through BG2 right now in anticipation.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Im somewhat expecting it to just be someone from this thread trolling.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

"Beamdog presents the Baldurs Gate F2P MMO with microtransactions. In a revolutionary move, your ability and enjoyment from the game is directly proportional to how much you invest. Every swing of the sword, every stone from a sling, arrow from a bow and spell from your hand can only be done through a real life action! (credit card required). It plays better with Kinect!

Do you feel that your weapon skills or spells are not doing enough damage? Simply pay $19.99 for the DAMAGE UPGRADE PACK."

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'm hoping for graphical and UI updates.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I don't want the old games just polished up a bit. That sort of thing never works for me, the nostalgia for the old style is too great. Monkey Island, for example. The special editions of 1&2 are cool, but I still prefer the old versions.

And I'm extremely wary of a new "Baldur's Gate" game, too.

So really, I'm more apprehensive than excited about this whole thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm very wary. The Baldur's Gate series are still fine games, and ended well.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cythereal posted:

I'm very wary. The Baldur's Gate series are still fine games, and ended well.
The weird part is that ToB was reviewed fairly harshly at the time, but has become fully accepted as a part of the canon and a worthy endgame.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Did these Beamdog guys ever develop anything other than the MDK2 HD remake?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xander77 posted:

The weird part is that ToB was reviewed fairly harshly at the time, but has become fully accepted as a part of the canon and a worthy endgame.

Better in hindsight, I suppose. Amelyssan is still the most disappointing villain of the trilogy, but all in all, it's a good enough finale.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Ascension is semi-official and makes the finale a lot more satisfying. To me it's the canonical end battle.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Xander77 posted:

It's a bit choppy, and there are places where the seams show, because the devs were obviously working on a very tight timetable. But it still manages to end the game, and ultimately the full Baldur's Gate story, in a satisfying matter (lookin' at you, ME3). The Ascension mod helps patch up a lot of the plot holes, too.

Cythereal posted:

Better in hindsight, I suppose. Amelyssan is still the most disappointing villain of the trilogy, but all in all, it's a good enough finale.

Melissan is one of those character ideas that works better in theory than in practice. I have a feeling that if everyone had had more time to flesh her out, she could have worked a lot better than she ultimately did.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Sooo. A thing just happened.

Also https://twitter.com/!/TrentOster/status/180376741154529280

quote:

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members

Yes, the site is down.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cooked Auto posted:

Sooo. A thing just happened.

Also https://twitter.com/!/TrentOster/status/180376741154529280

So, it was just one big mod/expansion stunt?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Brainamp posted:

No

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/107296-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-announced.html

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I am content with this.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Brainamp posted:

Licensed/official update of the original games. As long as they don't slap a huge pricetag on it I'm satisfied.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I find no fault in that

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Christmas come early! Woohoo! This is about the best thing ever! So many bugs they can fix, so many graphics they can overhaul, so many features they can implement that they didn't before!

Based on this twitter post they haven't changed the save game format yet. If they hurry up I might be able to import Syvishtara from BG1 to BG2 enhanced...? Kindof a pipe dream but still :D.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 15, 2012

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'll wait and see whether this is desecrating the grave of an honorable series, or a genuinely good revival. Hoping for the later, afraid it will be the former.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Vorgen posted:

Christmas come early! Woohoo! This is about the best thing ever! So many bugs they can fix, so many graphics they can overhaul, so many features they can implement that they didn't before!

Just think, your LP could be the swan song of the Baldur's Gate mega-mods.

I'm sure a lot of the more popular npc and quest modules will be converted though. Hopefully Beamdog are keeping compatibility in mind.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 16, 2012

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just phoning in to say that I'm absurdly excited for this, moreso than diablo 3, and that my earlier cynicism was probably unwarranted.

tithin fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 16, 2012

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Based on this twitter post they haven't changed the save game format yet. If they hurry up I might be able to import Syvishtara from BG1 to BG2 enhanced...? Kindof a pipe dream but still :D.

I'd imagine only vanilla saves will be importable. Mods don't play nice with save files, especially megamods.

Garbageman
Jun 6, 2004

Here I come! Too-Too-Toodlin' along!

Vorgen posted:

That would be so awesome!!!

I can't wait to see this game engine.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Higharvestide, 1369

Today is Higharvestide. I realize that I've been so busy trying to survive from one day to the next that I didn't even realize it was coming up. But we always had a great time in Higharvestide growing up in Candlekeep. And, of course, we learned all about its history from our teachers. I can still quote it now.

Candlekeep Monks posted:

Higharvestide is the celebration of the coming of fall, and is definitely worth celebrating, as autumn is without a doubt the most beautiful season in all the Dales. The festival falls between Eleint and Marpenoth (September and October), but unlike the other four major festivals Higharvestide usually lasts until the harvest is over.

Higharvestide is a time of plenty for all, and even the poorest will get enough to eat from the generosity of the others in their community. There is always a constant stream of food and ale on the tables set up in the center of town, and all are welcome, local or traveller alike.

Traditions vary from community to community, but most have various contests such as pumpkin carving, axe throwing, archery; and in Shadowdale they even host a challenge to see who can make the gooiest carmel apple, the best apple pie, and the hottest chili. Regardless of the outcome of the contests, everyone goes home happy, content, and with a belly that would envy a halfling.

The Chaunteans observe the Prayers of the Harvest at this time of year, a relatively somber day when compared to the revelry going on throughout the Dales. This holiest of holy days thanks Chauntea for the bounty she has given the community over the past year. It should be noted that this observance does not always fall exactly on Higharvestide, instead being moved as needed to coincide with a given township's actual harvest day or days.

While most people choose to or have to stay in town for the harvest, there is a great deal of traveling at this time. Pilgrims of various religious orders, dignitaries and ambassadors, and even Jack Mooney & Co. Traveling Circus make haste to reach distant destinations before winter weather freezes the rains into snow.

Higharvestide also has a traditional melody that is undoubtedly familiar to millions of people throughout the Realms.
I cannot ask my companions to fight orcs on this day so we spend the day in the tavern getting well sloshed.

WooOoOOOoooo Higharvestide!

Yaaaaaa Higharvestide!

Gameplay note: I don't know how much you guys care about St. Patrick's day, but I had a pretty good time and that's kinda spilling over into the game ;). And it really is Higharvestide in the game! The automatic in-game journal-dating says so. So wooo!

After a day of festivities, and a day of recovery, we head out back to Bald Hill to finish clearing out the orc bandits. The last thing we want for more orc bandits to show up and have them undo most of our hard work.

Gameplay note: You can report back to Sir BillyBob and/or Pelltar now and tell them that you thought you got all of the bandits, and they will accept it. But the quest wouldn't be truly over, so we can't have that!

We get back on the hunt for more orc bandits, and we soon find another ork. Since it is alone we rush into the attack.

The ork severely injures me right away. I am forced to retreat.

Branwen completely obliterates the ork in my stead.

Then she heals me fully. I love this woman, even if she isn't sleeping with me right now. After consulting with my party members, we think we have managed to walk around a triangular rock outcropping large enough to hide a substantial bandit force on its top. We decide to climb up to the top to check it out.

We find another lone ork archer at the top of one section of the outcropping. Maybe a scout.

Kivan takes this one out. He is still a death machine.

But those two are the only orks that we find up here.

Ah, the forest, with plenty of privacy. If only I had a lady to enjoy it with...

Dropping some pretty heavy hints there Fabio? We move on, and find another bluff to scale. At the top of it, we find a few orks and a pet snake of theirs.

The giant snake rips into Fabio, and he looks like he might die from the assault right away. But then Kivan charms the snake with a quick whistle.

And Branwen and I both heal Fabio, preventing him from dying. He still seems a little sick, though.

As the fight wears on, he seems to feel better. I think he'll be fine. Also, I kill the ork in front of us!

Almost simultaneously Kivan and his new pet snake kill the other ork.

This very small ridge seems to be devoid of further monsters, ork, orc, or snake, so we continue on our methodical, murderous way, our pet snake in tow.

Unfortunately, before we meet any other enemies, the snake turns on us again. Kivan has to put it down this time. I wonder if that bothers him?

The next ork we encounter we murder with efficient boredom. Don't these guys know how to group up? Why are they single patrols all over?

Fabio kills the next one.

We climb up another butte and another ork stands there, ready to ambush us. I decide to use one of my spells, so I cast it. Blade Shower. It has been a while.

The four blades of chaos stuff fly out of my hand and puncture the ork in several nasty spots.

But still, Kivan is the one to kill it.

Another lone ork we find in the opposite direction. Whoever told these orks what to do did not have a head for strategy.

Kivan takes this one out too.

As we make our way further away from the cliffside and into the meadow up here, we find for more orcs. Four of them is a lot. I'm a little worried about this scenario.

So, I decide to take care of this another way. I throw a Potion of Explosions at them.

They, in turn, deem me the greatest threat and all go after me. I turn to run merrily away, while Fabio gets in a few Magic Missiles.

Then, when Branwen has distracted most of them into fighting her instead of me, I throw a second potion at them all. That crystal armor of hers makes her almost immune to fire, after all.

But the worst scenario happens. Another group of orcs comes after us. I guess those single ork patrols were just scouts after all!

This is too much for us. I signal the retreat. I regret that I had not memorized Wild Horde earlier. The bunnies are always willing to get us out of tight situations. We all head for the narrow path down the butte. To cover our retreat, I throw a fireball from the Wand of Fire. It is glorious.

Then I am able to do it again before we go down the trail.

Branwen manages to heal herself and get off a Chant before we are engaged again, this time on a narrow trail. Safana joins forces with Branwen and is hurt for her troubles.

But she pops a potion and seems better. An extremely short but vicious battle ensues next, where Safana and the nearest orc tear into each other in a bloody frenzy. She barely escapes alive.

I yell at her to retreat and go back to ranged combat, but that leaves an opening in the trail. I try to fill it and I receive a nasty cut as well. In response, I pop Mirror Image.

Imoen throws some more Magic Missiles at the nearest orc.

I suck the life out of him, and Kivan shoots him dead.

Then things get very confusing on the trail. I am not quite sure where everybody is, and then suddenly Fabio is dead.

I react almost instinctively, in horror. I touch Rhialto's holy spellbook and unleash a Horror upon all the orcs.

The Horror makes the orcs flee in all directions, and gives Branwen and I the opening we need to get away. How they had gotten behind us I simply do not know. I am able to regroup the party a few yards away, and throw another fireball from the Wand of Fire. A few orcs fall. Too many don't.

One more fireball and another orc dies. The others are on fire and look almost dead.

I hear Kivan shout out, "Ice Arrow left eye."

While at the same time, Branwen and I dance a delicate, deadly dance. She casts Cure Serious Wounds upon herself...

... one moment before I throw a final fireball right at her.

Two more orcs die while Kivan's Called Shot hits.

Branwen steps up to take the last orc off of me...

... while Kivan's second Called Shot hits.

His last Called Shot hits, while Branwen takes some damage.

And I fire my Ring of Energy to save my beloved from death.

But in the end, she takes care of the beastie herself.

I didn't save her. She saved herself. I stand there in stunned silence, looking at the strong warrior woman before me. I realize that there is an insight worth knowing here.

Oh yes, there is quite a lot worth knowing from this fight. I immediately turn and rush back to town to do some research. When I get back to my room a the Tavern of the West Wind, I immediately hit the desk and open Rhialto's Holy Book.

Study the spellbook for a while, and see if you can learn something new.

You spend some time, browsing through the book...

Try to learn the spell "Gymlainac's Lightbend."

You succeed in learning the spell.

Gameplay note: A 2d4 bonus to Armor Class that lasts 10 rounds? That just makes my current staff-pounding fighting style even easier! With my current equipment, my normal AC is -1. I could have a maximum of -9 AC! Tankmage is here.

This Gymlainac is pretty good. He's no Rhialto, of course, but the mage's got style.

Try to learn the spell "Vile Word of Discord."

You try to learn the spell, but it's too difficult, you need more experience in the art before you can learn it.

I am undaunted. I open the spellbook again.

Close the book.

The page that came loose and fell out turns out to be a scroll of Resist Fear.

It is a spell I already know, but still useful nevertheless. I re-organize that page by putting it into Pelltar's Spellbook, and then go back to The Holy Book.

Try to learn the spell "Random Spell II."

You succeed in learning the spell.

Gameplay note: A random 4th or 5th level spell. Some good ones to see show up from 4th level could be Confusion, Emotion - Hopelessness, Greater Malison, or Ice Storm. But some bad ones to cast on my enemies could be Improved Invisibility, Stoneskin, Teleport Field, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, or Otiluke's Resilient Sphere. Going on to level 5, we would like to see Chaos, Cloudkill, Cone of Cold, one of the elemental conjurations, Lower Resistance, or Hold Monster. But some bad ones to see would be Protection from Normal Weapons, Shadow Door, Spell Immunity, or Spell Shield. So basically its a crap shoot. And crap shoots are Syvishtara's speciality! I'l be memorizing this and casting it a lot.

The best idea ever! Let the weave directly decide which spell to cast. Obviously, this is the right way to go, because greater magical power will flow through me than would otherwise be possible. How can I go wrong here? I hold my breath for a moment in excited anticipation, then go back to studying the spellbook.

No, of course not. The spellbook probably filters the madness and only passes along pure, essential knowledge. Besides, the Weave would not let me go insane, would it? No, of course not. It is silly of me to doubt the Weave. But there is nothing else I can glean from Rhialto's works now. I sigh sadly. How long will I have to wait before learning the Vile Word of Discord? I am in a bad mood the rest of the day. No, of course not.

It is only after I have rested and bathed that Imoen approaches me to ask me, quietly, what we should do with Fabio. Fabio? I ask, frowning at her. There is nothing in Rhialto's spellbook about Fabio. She says the bard? The one we met in this very tavern? The one who died fighting the orcs? She says that they carried his corpse and equipment all the way back to town. She wants to know if I want to raise him.

OH! Right. I ponder, turning my gaze inward.

Ok guys, what should we do with Fabio? We are in a unique situation right now - we can't go back to the mainland until we are either completely done with the quests in Restenford or we have given up and decided to blow things off. So, we cannot follow our usual policy of replacing Fabio without foregoing the rest of the Secret of Bone Hill module. So, what do you think we should do?

A. Raise Fabio, continue questing here in Restenford.
B. Kick out the dead weight, we can save Restenford without the dead bard.
C. Screw Pelltar, screw Restenford, and screw the Isle of Lendore altogether. Take Fabio's corpse and blow this popsicle stand, we're going back to the Jovial Juggler to pick up Finch and kick some bandit rear end.
D. Screw everything. Kick out the bard and lets get outta here. Finch and important things await us! Who wants to kill orks with a k when there are bandits to fight?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
That wild mage armour spell has target 1 creature. That's even better than tankmage.

Also, there's more insight to be gained here and we need Fabio to act as a lightning rod: A

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm going to vote for A. Let's see what this place has to offer us, and then drop Fabio (and everyone else who dies) once we return to the mainland.

• Locked thread