Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

13 Kythorn, 1371

Willie Bruce is really learning a lot.

He already looks tougher than Gavin, and about half as tough as the great Anomen.

Anyways, my mind wanders to the layout of the sewers we just went through. Arath has pointed out where the slavers are, but there is another place where we haven't explored yet... the top of the sewers.

I wonder what's up here?

Oh. Right. The Copper Coronet. I meant the other way. These stairs.

What? This is... improbable.

Unlike me, my party quickly accepts the situation and starts chopping up the gigantic... walking... mushrooms?!

I realize that the whole situation is pretty confusing, and that the mushrooms are also confusing people. I throw out a Dispel Magic to help out with things.

The myconids quickly die, but Arath is still confused.

I know this can be a tense situation, so I move my people away from him.

We find a king among these mushroom-men.

Which Chloe dices up quicklike.

There's a strange kind of cow-man fighting alongside us. He looks like a minotaur out of a storybook!

I am Andorian, a minotaur warrior from the Giantspike Mountains.

Minotaurs in the Giantspike Mountains? Wait a moment - I read something about that in the library at Candlekeep - a minotaur civilization around the legendary Ironfang Keep. But that was almost sixteen hundred years ago!

Ironfang Keep fell into ruin some thousand years ago and we minotaurs faded quietly out of sight, but we never left the Giantspike Mountains and the forests of eastern Cormanthyr. You would be surprised, I think, to know how many still live in that area.

What are you doing here? And who are - were - these people?

I am the only survivor of a company of adventurers from Highmoon in Cormyr. We were bound for Baldur's Gate when we fell in with a group of adventurers from Boareskyr Bridge. They were heading for Soubar and on to Scornubel - 'home,' one of them named it.

And?

Adventurers tell tales, don't they? We heard of this magical talking sword hidden here in Athkatla and Sawyl there decided we had to have it. And now Sawyl - and Alis and Dailfind and Pasgen - are all dead. Only I, Andorian, have survived, thanks be to you.

What will you do now?

I have given up on this foolish quest - I have lost too much of value for its weight to be made up by a mere talking sword. I will make my way home to the Giantspike Mountains down the backroads and quiet ways of Amn and Cormyr.

Go in peace, Andorian.

Well, looks like he looted all his companions on the way out too. Willie doesn't like it.

At least I got the sword! Neglected to mention that to him, but, well...

We go back to tel Quallo at least.

I remember you faintly. It was not me that you spoke with. It was the thing... the person... I don't know! That which compelled me was the thing that spoke to you.

Someone had dominated or charmed you?

I don't think it was human... its conscience was too foreign. I can't remember... Gods! How long have I been here? What has happened to my family?

And with that, he leaves too. Someone carelessly cruel and capricious went through a lot of trouble to trap this sword down here, and it happened almost a lifetime ago. Who would do such a thing, I wonder?

I keep wondering while we all go to the entrance to the slavers' lair.

I realize that we need some rest, so I take us all to the Sanctuary.

Go on.

So we were playing hide and seek for a while. I couldn't find Imoen though. Even then she was a master of hiding.

(chuckle) I'm not surprised. Go on please.

I figured she must have left the library, even though we had agreed not to. So I snuck out, looking for her.

Did you find her?

No, but I did find Gorion, who was searching for us. As I was standing there being scolded for skipping lessons, I saw Imoen poke her head out of the library, then she climbed out a window.

Ouch, she left you to face Gorion on your own?

Yes, the little rascal. So to get her back I put a frog in her bed. She ran out of her room with barely a stitch on screaming that a monster had attacked her in her bed!

(laugh)

When she found out that it was just a frog, she played some *mean* pranks on me for a good month or two. But it was worth it to see the look on her face. (chuckle)

(laugh) Thanks, Syvishtar. That was funny.

I decide to rearrange everyone's spellbooks. There is so much more magic down here in Amn. I can feel it. I need to test out some of these new spells.

Then we all go to sleep.

I am awakened by a sinister, comanding voice telling me to stand. So we do.

It will not end, you know. Not until you acknowledge what you are.

You walk as a mortal, taking no advantage from your heritage, from your talents within. So many things of flesh are greater than you.

Walk among them, these beasts that are less than you are. See their strength; see how easily you fell to their muscle and skill.

Is that... is that supposed to be me?

Oh, hello demon!

Wait! No! It's not mine!

Yeah... that'll happen without the proper protections of the Weave. Stupid avatar.

I USUALLY cast Protection from Evil before summoning the demons Irenicus. I don't know what they taught YOU in school, but at Candlekeep they always said "Protection from Evil, THEN Cacofiend."

Do you realize that power you might hold? When the world of flesh is beneath you, even creatures mysterious and magical will fall!

Hmmm... skeleton, illithid, and vampire? Tough one. First I'd start with

Ok yah that looked pretty effective, but then he has to wait a round for

Oh! Oh my! Oh my yes!

Follow, if only to protect the weak that fell because of you.

That's a low blow, Jon.

Again he tries to torture the fake Imoen, and my dream fades to black.

It was a fake Imoen, right?

... right?

When we awake, Gavin wants to talk.

Yes, I know...

We should go soon. Do you want to go now?

What, you mean right this instant?

Not now, no. But say you'll go, and we'll go there first chance we get.

All right. First chance we get.

Thank you.

Alright then. Time to kill some slavers. I wonder what my sword has to say about this?

What's my status? Since when do you care about me, unless I'm impaled in something's guts? Oh, well, fine, let me think for a minute...

Well... uh, since you asked, I would like to register a complaint. I want to kill a dragon. Right now. No, don't look. Go kill one now. Go find one and kill it. That's right: kill... now. That would be SO COOL!

Uh, sorry man, I don't know where any dragons live. We only got slavers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
So happy to see this back :)

So uh, did selecting that dialog option with Gavin mean the game will automatically transport you to the temple district on the next area transition, or something?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Wow I finally caught up. I started reading about a year ago off and on. Played bg1 and bg2 tons of times but not really with any of the major content mods so it was cool to see them. Most of them seem real lovely so I guess I don't need to ever install them. Glad to see you are still going.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Should have killed that loving Minotaur, reads like mod added bullshit.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vikar Jerome posted:

Should have killed that loving Minotaur, reads like mod added bullshit.

I'm like 60% sure that's in the base game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm like 60% sure that's in the base game.

i remember him being in there and giving you the hint about the sword but that whole blag about his adventures and friends is modded i think.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ive always found that room really weird and I almost never bother with it anyway. There isn't any good loot in there, the confusion is super annoying, and they don't even give good XP.

I'm 99% sure the minotaur is normally like a one or two line character though. I'm surprised he didn't offer to join the party.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I have played through BG2 maybe ten times and never hit that encounter.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The minotaur says "My comrades... fallen... my last breaths are of rage," when you enter that room, and promptly gets murdered by the shrooms in the base game. I wanna say it's even in a cutscene so he's impossible to save. Everything after that is mod added. If the PC says "oh, I read about <obscure knowledge> in a book because I am from Candlekeep which has a big library," it's a pretty safe bet that it's mod added content.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Kajeesus posted:

The minotaur says "My comrades... fallen... my last breaths are of rage," when you enter that room, and promptly gets murdered by the shrooms in the base game. I wanna say it's even in a cutscene so he's impossible to save. Everything after that is mod added. If the PC says "oh, I read about <obscure knowledge> in a book because I am from Candlekeep which has a big library," it's a pretty safe bet that it's mod added content.

I don't remember that being in the original game either. Maybe its from the expanded edition as one of the smaller changes?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No, it's in the original game. It's not very memorable, though. I only remembered because that line looked familiar.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Yeah, in the base game the minotaur dies right away with no explanation and its very confusing. Its incomplete content as far as I know.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yah, sounds kinda dumb.

If you kill hte minotaur does he have 4 character's worth of equipment?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Maugrim posted:

So happy to see this back :)

So uh, did selecting that dialog option with Gavin mean the game will automatically transport you to the temple district on the next area transition, or something?

You know, come to think of it, I did have trouble getting out of the sanctuary after that talk. I had to console teleport myself out.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I wonder how would modders integrate stands into this game. Just a random thought.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

I wonder how would modders integrate stands into this game. Just a random thought.

Stands? What do you mean by that? I'm a modder and I've never heard of such a thing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Cythereal posted:

Stands? What do you mean by that? I'm a modder and I've never heard of such a thing.

It's a JoJo Bizarre Adventure thing referring to the various powers the characters have.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cooked Auto posted:

It's a JoJo Bizarre Adventure thing referring to the various powers the characters have.

I have no idea what that is, so I still can't answer.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Cythereal posted:

I have no idea what that is, so I still can't answer.

Fret not, for Wikipedia carries all the answers you need.
Long story short, it's pretty much just supernatural powers. A lot of them can just be compared to various D&D spells like time stop and such.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

From what I have been able to glean, a Stand is a superpower that is like a ghost which follows a person around and does things for them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh. It's anime poo poo.

Simplest way to do it would be to treat it as a summoning spell that follows and does something, maybe with an extremely long duration, that has various special abilities. We've seen examples of mod-added summoning spells in this LP aplenty, and this would probably be triggered off the special ability menu.

If it's just supernatural powers, those are easy to do as activated special abilities.

Or just copy Simulacrum.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

So you come out of the sewers under an inn in Baldur's Gate... to find a grove with walking mushroom men and a minotaur?

The gently caress?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Could be someone's private garden... or an abandoned estate... or some other forgotten corner of athkatla.

Thing is this isn't the only time this happens in the base game. Anybody know the other time you get a surprise mushroom men grove?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Vorgen posted:

Could be someone's private garden... or an abandoned estate... or some other forgotten corner of athkatla.

Thing is this isn't the only time this happens in the base game. Anybody know the other time you get a surprise mushroom men grove?

The Underdark, which makes a little more sense for Surprise Myconids. Also is clue #1,392 for who put all these sapient shrooms and talking swords in the sewers, as well as the 95% of weird sewer poo poo we haven't even seen yet and I am absolutely not kidding/exaggerating. Yes, folks, there's a rational explanation for the sewer mushroom grove!!

HOW THE gently caress AM I ABLE TO REMEMBER THIS IMMEDIATELY?!?!?!?!?!?!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Don't forget the myconid grove in the planar sphere!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Less sure why they're out in potentially full daylight in the druid's grove though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, you know druids.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

cigaw posted:

Oooooh boy I forgot about that one! I wonder how an intelligent sword with no formal edumication would affect Syv's worldview.
I've waited so long for this!

Glad to see the updates once again, Vorgen!

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012
Woo-hoo, caught back up! Congrats on beating BG1, was really hoping the traitor ending would be canon as that would have been a great launching pad into full-on murder God.

One thing that's been throwing me off is how different the same npc is written between modderes. The latest shar-Teel was nothing like the original.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

I often wonder why I've lost my energy for this project. The idea still grips me, and I like it in theory. But I always put it off for other things.

Two things generally bother me about the direction things have done. First, the end of BG1's big fight with Sarevok still really bugs me, because I deviated from the ironman hardcore no-reloads rule in the ending. I know I put it up to a vote, I know we voted on the 5 different endings, I know that audience participation is an important aspect of this whole idea... but the other aspect is no do-overs. And the betrayal of half of the Golden Company and then smacking them down was such a rich story! It still bothers me today, two years later.

The second thing that bothers me about this project is that during it the extended edition of the game came out with tons of bugfixes and load time improvements and stability enhancements, and a whole entirely new expansion The Siege of Dragonspear! That means that its impossible to play all of the possible content at the current point in time because I'm already too far to play Siege of Dragonspear. But now, after being wishy-washy about doing this project for about 2 years, the Baldur's Gate Extended Edition Trilogy is almost complete (https://cdn.rawgit.com/K4thos/EET/master/EET/readme-EET.html). The Big World Setup program to install things is almost compatible with installing things on it if you turn on testing options (http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56670-big-world-setup-an-attempt-to-update-the-program/?p=590709).

I think what I really want to do is wait until I can continue to play this project on the EET, and maybe do some time travel to go back to Siege of Dragonspear or something. I just haven't communicated that well to the thread, or myself.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 5, 2016

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sounds good, I've not played Dragonspear and don't really plan to so it would be cool to have you show it off.

Whatever keeps you interested, there's a long way to go yet!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
This thread was going to take years to go through everything anyways, so no rush. Moving onto EE would be fine with most of us, I think.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I'd like to comment but last time I said how much I missed this thread I got probated.

In any case, Yeh, Vorgen, you do yours, we'll enjoy the final project all the same. Hell, if you want to go back and redo this with the betrayal ending, do it. Just, y'know, skip Icewind dale. Hell, you could put the betrayal ending as the flashpoint that you'll reet to once the new BG version omes out and go strigth to dragonspear.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Vorgen posted:

I often wonder why I've lost my energy for this project. The idea still grips me, and I like it in theory. But I always put it off for other things.

Two things generally bother me about the direction things have done. First, the end of BG1's big fight with Sarevok still really bugs me, because I deviated from the ironman hardcore no-reloads rule in the ending. I know I put it up to a vote, I know we voted on the 5 different endings, I know that audience participation is an important aspect of this whole idea... but the other aspect is no do-overs. And the betrayal of half of the Golden Company and then smacking them down was such a rich story! It still bothers me today, two years later.

The second thing that bothers me about this project is that during it the extended edition of the game came out with tons of bugfixes and load time improvements and stability enhancements, and a whole entirely new expansion The Siege of Dragonspear! That means that its impossible to play all of the possible content at the current point in time because I'm already too far to play Siege of Dragonspear. But now, after being wishy-washy about doing this project for about 2 years, the Baldur's Gate Extended Edition Trilogy is almost complete (https://cdn.rawgit.com/K4thos/EET/master/EET/readme-EET.html). The Big World Setup program to install things is almost compatible with installing things on it if you turn on testing options (http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56670-big-world-setup-an-attempt-to-update-the-program/?p=590709).

I think what I really want to do is wait until I can continue to play this project on the EET, and maybe do some time travel to go back to Siege of Dragonspear or something. I just haven't communicated that well to the thread, or myself.

Maybe you read the signs wrong. Maybe we all read the signs wrong. Maybe the thousands of bunnies who in their death formed a menacing skull was the weave fortelling the death... of the story; of the thread if you chose that path!
Maybe it isn't too late, weave willing. poo poo, how many times have the rebooted batman now?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I bet the betrayal ending would make NPC management a little easier too.

I dunno, I vote for whatever keeps you motivated and postin'. I follow hardly any LPs these days so I'd love to see this one come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Vorgen, this thread of yours is a massive undertaking. I certainly appreciate how much audience participation you encourage and use, but it must make progress slower for you.

What I'm getting at is this: do whatever you find enjoyable. If going back in time to play Siege of Dragonspear is something you'd like to do, go for it! Put thread participation aside for a while and play the game in a way you'll enjoy it. This isn't your job, you don't really have an obligation to us, and I personally won't mind if you put everything on hold until you can get things running on EE.

• Locked thread