Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Echoing the sentiments of other posters here. Good luck to ya.

But I have a minor nitpick, would you mind removing the names in front of the dialogue? I mean it's okay the first time as an identifier but the talking heads serve the same purpose anyway and having them appear all the time breaks the reading flow somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vorgen posted:

Ok, I can do that.

ed: that does look better. It was starting to annoy me too. This is actually easier to do.

Much better in my meaning. :)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Keep Imoen and dump the rest at the FAA is my vote.

I'm noticing that you seemingly keep switching between in character (the just like me comment for instance) and out of character at times (the rest) for the cursive stuff. Is that intentional?
I just think it'd be a good idea to just keep the general gameplay comments there instead of character thoughts baked into it as it feels somewhat confusing.
(God I feel like such a prick with nitpicking on things twice already.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tax Refund posted:

Pretty sure it's browser-specific, or maybe operating-system-specific. I'm using Firefox 6.0 on Linux, and those two look identical on my system.

Eeeyup. I'm on FF6 as well but on Win7 and both lines look exactly the same to me.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hm, I'm leaning towards either Dreadnought or Duskblade although I can decide which one. I may just have to go with the former of the two since a proper tank is always good to have.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

^Hotlinking from other sites is bad just so you know.

It's worth pointing out that the track you are referring to is actually called Helm's Temple on the BG1 soundtrack. :eng101:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vorgen posted:

Actually that's not quite the one I'm referring to. That's the Helm's Temple track which is male voices, but the one that starts immediately in the video I linked to and ends around the 2 minute mark is female voices, which I couldn't find in the official soundtrack :(.

Ah point, even if I swear I've heard that track in Neverwinter Nights before. Could be wrong on that point of course.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Save Khalid and Imoen.

While the musician can play his music in the dance hall of Hell!

Do try to be a little bit more careful next time. It'll save your coin purse in the long run.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fighting Trousers posted:

Holy poo poo, Bioware is Joss Whedon. :catstare:

No they still haven't managed to pin down the Whedeonesque dialogue just yet even if they're kinda close. Even if they are about as equal in horrible characterization and such. :v

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Let's see how long this psycho bitch lives before we think of switching her out with Xzar or someone else. With only 9 Con and our mortality rate I don't think she'll live thaaaat long.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'd say 3, 1, 2 in that order. Even if 1 and 2 are inter-changeable in my vote. Important thing is getting the mines done.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vorgen posted:

Can I discourage you by saying that kobolds have been known to swarm this time of year?

Aaah. I see your point. 1, 2, 3 then. Hopefully the couple won't be too bitchy about that. (Even if that house in Beregost may be troublesome.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vorgen posted:

I really wish bioware would release their games as open source so people could simply release a compiled game itself rather than make you compile hundreds of mods.

Ain't gonna happen I think as Atari still owns the license for D&D games on PC and console which means Bioware can't republish the games themselves.
Could be wrong of course regarding this so if someone wants to correct me on this go ahead.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Go find Minsc and you never let him go, you horrible monster. Same with Viconia.

I'm inclined to agree with this in light with what with Tax Refund has brought up.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vorgen posted:

but since we can't pay the cash right now you guys can also concurrently debate whether or not we should.

I say we should. For it is the right thing to do. :colbert:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ShiningForceHero posted:

I would hope no one came into this thread expecting anything but.

I sorta expected a decent story with good writing. :shobon:

But by Sune's flaming red locks that is some utterly ridiculous stuff. :aaa:

And I'm voting on resurrecting Will even if it means we'll dump in in Jovial Juggler or Friendly Arm in at some point in the future. No need to turn the majority of our party members into corpses is there now?

Also we need more butt kicking for goodness. It's what Minsc would want us to do even if he is not in our group yet. :colbert:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Comrade Question posted:

That's still better than what the modder expects you to do to her!

Oh gods. :gonk:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vorgen posted:

Just be glad I'm not subjecting you all to the Imoen romance. She's your half-sister, you know, but that won't stop ~*TrUe LoVe*~.

And then I am suddenly reminded of a screenshot I saw once of a BG mod that involved Imoen and the main character having a conversation with him scolding her for something she had done and then one of the options were that you apparently had enough of her antics and pushed her down to the ground and raped her in order to teach her a lesson.
Yeah...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah, the quest with Garrick one of the few things I actually remember from when I attempted to play BG1 years ago. Not that I could never really get myself to actually finish it because I couldn't stand it mechanically.

Now my original party pick would've been Imoen, Rose, Kivan, Gavin, and Will. But then I realized that is an incredibly squishy party with no real tank. So let's switch out Rose for Shar-Teel for the time being. So my final pick is
Imoen
Shar-Teel
Kivan
Gavin
Will Scarlet
Also keep the Wolf.

Probably an poorly balanced party but then I've always been terrible at gaming the system so to speak.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You messed up some of the talking heads in the conversation with Perdue I think.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Replace Tiax with Ajantis

I vote for this as well. Mostly because I really dislike Tiax.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

:engleft: Go South.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jng2058 posted:

He's an obvious Wolverine knock off, so you might as well go the berserker rage route. Get him a Ring of Regeneration, a Ring of Infravision, and dual wielded daggers, or better, dual wielded spiked gauntlets (do they even have those in this game? I forget,) use him once to have Wolvie in your party THEN forget about him forever.

He is. And actually Bub was in the game from the beginning but only as an non-party NPC as far as I can remember. Guess they've made some improvements.

Also I vote for Replace Tiax with Viconia. No real idea what to vote on for the second option.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vorgen posted:

Um... I've run into a bit of a problem. The first post has just recently gone over the post character limit. I combined the Journal prologue with the first journal post, and moved the character summaries to their own post, but if I'm running out of room now I cannot expect to have much room later. I guess I'll have to describe everyone with one or two lines of text only.

You should redo it to something like this.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Slaan posted:

Rose is pretty meh, to be sure. But she is still far, far better than loving Shar-teel!

Get rid of our :airquote:formidable mate:airquote:

I second this vote because I hate that sentence.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Holy Sune! Talk about meat grinder right there. :black101:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

-5 AGAINST Dynaheir

If I have to read one more update with that many Thine's and Thou's again :argh:

I'd rather have that and keep seeing "Your formidable mate" any day,

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vorgen, a friend of mine who lurks the thread is wondering what ini settings you use for the installer. Would you mind indulging him on that?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vorgen posted:

ini settings for the installer... could you tell me which file exactly you're interested in? There are a lot of ini files. I didn't modify any of them, though, I just ran the BiG World Setup as it came and followed its instructions.

Aha. He thought you had changed some things in the files but I guess that assumption was incorrect then.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Road Crew posted:

Volo is actually a wizard :pseudo: and quite possibly the most dangerous man in the Realms, what with "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical" he wrote which is apparently a how-to guide that would let subsitence farmers cast fireballs and reveals the secrets of pretty much all the Archmages. Also "Volos Guide to Cormyr", the unedited first edition of which would have let pretty much anyone conquer the whole nation, what with revealing all the passphrases and secret safehouses of the national security forces.

I think he's 5th level illusionist to be exact.

He was also really annoying in Storm of Zehir if I remember right from the LP. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

What Syv really should do is dump Edwin and add Viconia because then he'd have a pretty rockin harem thing going on. :v:

Either way replace Edwin with either Thorifinn hasuklafginaf or Bjornin.

Whoops. :blush:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'd go with B. Even if C and E aren't all that bad either.
A on the other hand should just be skipped. Why? Weeeell... (Slightly :nws:)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, among the Baldur's Gate modding community, acknowledging the very existence of the books is a taboo subject. Imoen turning into a lesbian when she's coerced into sleeping with a drow priestess, anyone?

Well I don't about that. :pervert:
(Sorry.)

I've got a bunch of "normal" D&D FR books and while some of them aren't that good they do sound way better than these.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Holy Mystra and Sune the sheer amount of :emo: is just staggering.
Not to mention the flirting texts are getting kinda creepy now.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ETB posted:

Slightly off-topic, but completely relevant: http://kotaku.com/5889146/baldurs-gate-website-lurches-to-life-is-a-new-game-rising

I really hope they don't gently caress it up.

I don't think it's actually a new game as this on vg247, while sourcing your link, does makes it sound more like it's a port of it for something than a new game.
Of course, Atari mentioned that they were going to announce something today as well and they are the current owners of the D&D license they may just have something in store related to this. Of course this is just guess work as per usual.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sooo. A thing just happened.

Also https://twitter.com/!/TrentOster/status/180376741154529280

quote:

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members

Yes, the site is down.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

-5 Shar-Teel and NO Rep change.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Uh. Okay. :stare: That was certainly something.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I saw that one a while ago and oh my god it is awful. Just so drat awful. It pretty much plays out like a Chaotic Evil D&D campaign where the PCs are "I'm going to do this because I'm eeeeeevil" and ran by a DM who pretty much runs out of ideas at the end and pulls out a deus ex machina.
I tend to enjoy terrible movies but that one was just so awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

I think this is exactly what a D and D movie should be though. Trying to take the setting seriously when there are so many crazy things is probably going to come across as really weird. Even the BG games seem to realise this, especially the first one which has lots of humour and light heartedness in it.

The last thing you want is some generic hero, with his aloof elf and angry dwarf side kicks. How can this unlikely band of heroes save the world from the evil dragon/black knight/monster ? They will need the powers of magic ring/ancient spell/holy sword. Will the hero find their true destiny ?

That is true but the execution in this case is so terrible it just sinks the entire thing and not even the giant black guy that was painted silver to represent one of the evil races being all about wenches and mead doesn't really save it from being an utter bore and generally terrible. I mean the first one had the bonus of having Jeremy Irons simply eating his way through the scenery in how hammy his performance was. This one simply doesn't have anything like that.
Still need to see the second one at some point.

• Locked thread