Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AJ_Impy posted:

Connor.

Seriously, Connor.

This. Gaelic can make really simple words look super-complicated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

markus_cz posted:

Wait, what?

Why is there 11 letters to pronounce 5 sounds?

Because Gaelic. They like letters a LOT. Actually, they used aspiration (dots above letters) and this translates into the Western alphabet as an added H. Those H's are not letters, they are pronunciation marks. They also like glide vowels (two vowels often just mean "say one vowel a certain way") and dipthongs and accents and double consonants... They also have the slender/broad thing that's what you might call a long or a hard vowel, but they do it to consonants a lot more than English.

Example: Maedhbh. The ae is "ay", the slender dh is y, slender bd is "v", so what comes out the other end is "Mayv."

Conchobhair is probably not said exactly how your brain processes Connor, but it's the name Connor comes from anyway. "Con" is how you'd think it sounds. Ch can be a hard Ch sound, but it's a H here, like chutzpah. Obh - The bh can be w or v, here it's w. Ai - the I is a glide vowel.

The result is kinda like "Conohwar", but you don't stress the middle clusterfuck at all, so it's more like "Connaher", saying Conner with a breathy extra bit in the middle.

And then there's dialects and god help you there.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 27, 2012

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Then here's the new guy.

Bardo Furfoot
Sniper
12 14 12 11 14 11

Comments: Wisdom tied with Dexterity as the highest stat on a thief? Bardo, you're doing it wrong... Anyhow, as should be apparent, this guy is a walking lump of mediocrity. Which is very odd considering he's a mod NPC. I'm also not sure what to make of his class - if you want a dedicated archer, get the genuine article. Okay, I suppose that it's a good or even great thief class if you subscribe to the school that thieves should be archer support who can do locks and traps. Won't be as good as a true ranger archer kit despite apparently picking up longbows that thieves normally can't use, but doesn't lose thief skills and if you subscribe to this school you won't be backstabbing or setting traps anyway. Conveniently, the kit is restricted to the races that can get 19 Dex, which admittedly does make its presence on a guy with 14 Dex puzzling. This kit could be great on a character with the stats to back it up, but Bardo here is an unexceptional archer and an unexceptional thief.

Verdict: Usable

We should yank him to a different kit, then! Maybe an adventurer or a trickster?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

I don't think Bardo's ever going to be anything but unexceptional. Kit monkeying can be done with any thief, and Bardo does nothing to stand out from the pack. I grant that there's not much room for creativity in NPCs (one of the reasons I so greatly prefer 3.5E), but Bardo's just meh.

True, but a different kit could at least give him some kind of special utility. He's utterly forgettable all-around, but we have him so we might as well do something with him, I guess.

I don't actually know the quest/banter substance of the new guys. If they're just like Bub, they'll only take up space either way. At least Bub is effective, though.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vorgen posted:

E. He's a true Gentleman. He steals from the rich and gives to Gullykin. He's a really swell guy, great to have around! Problem is that he considers us to be part of the rich. (If he joins us I will raise the party's rep from 13 to 16.)

Let your votes be known!

Actually, he can't be a gentleman. He's lawful neutral! (Also Gentleman would be hilarious, as his intro was basically "THERE IS TREASURE- Uh, I mean, let's save the day?", as I recall.) And that reputation thing might bite you in the rear end. I'm not sure what all kits you have from that hilariously long pack, but perhaps "Burglar" would be more apt as a choice?

...And I might need a minute for the barrage of gaelic this time. (PS: AGH sorry for the accidental full quote, something went weird.)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AJ_Impy posted:

This one? It's pronounced 'Kenneth'

sortof. Except they added bits to it which change pronunciation. It also depends heavily on accents! Because otherwise it'd be too easy.

Here we go again. Maybe I can explain better this time. CùChoinneach is not actually a real name, more or less. The closest would be Coinneach (Kin-ek), which is where the name Kenneth comes from. Coinneach means white-haired and Cu means dog. Anyway. The Cù would be Koo, as in Cù Sìth. Ch is "h" or a hard "ch/k". Between vowels (this matters), it's an H sound. Oi - this would be stressed and it's next to an n (this also matters). Probably a short i sound, like "in". NN is more obvious. Ea - that's a schwa (eh) or a like "ban". Probably the former. And another Ch, but this one is probably more of a K sound. So we've got Koo-hin-ek, with the emphasis more on the middle syllable.

Madadh n'Sgàil. He is Creative this time, because Madadh is dog/wolf! (I lied about the creativity) The Mad part is pretty simple. The Adh here would be a schwa, so eh. Mad-eh. Also apparently possibly "Mad-oo", but c'est la accents.

n'Sgàil is "something that blocks light", "shade", "ghost", "veil" etc. I choose to think that he meant for this fellow to be named after window shades. The N' is more of a declension thing, which I am not awesome at and can't actually find any information on in this particular instance. He may have meant m', which indicates "my". N' doesn't seem to fit any information I can find. Anyway. The S is "s" or "sh". The G is either a "g" or a voiced palatal stop and I won't bore you with what that one is. ài would be a long A. L is L. That leaves us with "N-sgale." So "Mad-eh N-sgale."

I don't blame you if you still don't want to try to say that last one. So, welcome White-Haired Dog and Dog Window Shade! I am sure you will fit right in with Champion Strongblade (corncobhair) and... ummmm, Keiria Silverstring. (Keiria is bucking tradition, but I think you said she was from the same mod? Eh, either way, her name's actually Greek and it means... bedclothes or grave-wrappings.)

TLDR: Koo-hin-ek and Mad-eh N-sgale. Phlegm. Fhtagn. And I vote Expert. He might as well be good at something. Having seen the schmuck's bio, I change my vote to Adventurer.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 28, 2012

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hmmm, why am I not surprised?

Also, I hope you were serious about those extra votes. Shar'Teel can finally :getin:

Hahahahahahahahahahaohgod. I want to know their REAL name myself. It's probably like... Steve.

(Also I changed my answer, as I saw that Bardo's entire backstory is I WANNA ADVENTURE when I was looking for that name)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, we don't need a gentleman. The wild magic eats up more than enough gold for that! But Bardo's actually earning his keep, so he has my respect despite his mediocrity. Go, little guy, go- oh wait he's stumbled facefirst into another trap again. How can they make such overpowered characters and then fumble through the rest? Did they just steal all the points from the others to give to Kenny? That's kinda like balance, I guess!

Vorgen posted:

Workin' on this add-on many late nights in a row has made me just a wee bit tense.

:colbert:

Anyway. C. I suspect the quest is broken with him dead? Unless this is not true, in which case B, gently caress that guy.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vorgen posted:

It's the latter, sadly enough. He just pops up again no prompting from anyone. He is just THAT magical. In fact I think he may still be following the party around even though his master is dead.

Maybe we should...

Definitely C, then. If his master comes back to life and leaves properly, he'll probably go away. Don't want the drat dog following us around, too.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag posted:

Isn't him dying after failing to act like a badass humiliating enough? Leaving his corpse to rot in a godsforsaken hole in the middle of nowhere, never to fulfill his destiny as a Chosen, is the best fate a stupid self insert character like him could get.

Personally, I just don't want his drat dog hanging around forevermore.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Ventnor posted:

I dunno... a sword that thirsts after broods might actually be pretty scary if you think about it.

What if they were also a berserkes?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A actually seems suitable to me this time. Hey, he is the dwarf from the hilarious Dungeons and Dragons movie.

Wait, he's a grandmaster in spears? And they give him... an axe.

...what?

Goddamn, looking at his axe description is even dumber. He never uses another weapon! *GM in spears* I agree with the idea to change the proficiency to axe!

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 4, 2012

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MidnightRain posted:

I'm also surprised by the sheer number of Mods that just drop in already existing maps. Were the maps that much harder to create than the scintillating characters, dialogue and plot lines?

Um... yes. Those backgrounds are all hand-painted, if I'm not mistaken. There's no toolset to slap down premade tiles or anything, that background is a literal piece of art.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 4, 2012

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Dum de dum, let's have a look at the forums for Sky-

[WIP] Viconia and Saerelith for Skyrim

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-!

Anyway, there's something odd about the color palate altered version of that avatar. I mean, I know they're using the same color palate, but the female side no longer looks similar to the male. Weird. Maybe it's the contrast or something. Or maybe I'm OCD with colors.

-Wait, hold on. I just took a second look at the Troll Slayer class. They aren't proficient with swords?! But they can have 5 proficiency in Sword and Shield!? What lunatic made this kit?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vorgen posted:

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny, chaos will be sown by their passage. Even by the chinchillas. Especially by the chinchillas. - Full text of the prophecy of the Wise Alaundo, often shortened.

He's a god! They'll screw anything AS anything. Just look at Zeus and Loki! You're lucky you aren't a donkey or a goat or something.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What is the curse on that robe, anyway? Is it just unremovable or is it secretly doing something horrible like applying an invisible 50% rate of spell casting failure?

Also: "He's useful for how many HP he has! *votes for a kit without the HP bonus*" :allears: Goons.

...Goddamn that book is horrible.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 6, 2012

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Dammit, Corellon! Why did you have to let that priestess of yours learn to raise the dead? Syvishtar(a) was single-handedly financing my church on the Sword Coast! - Lathander, Morninglord

Bite me. - Corellon Larethian, First of the Seldarine

We could only do it once. :ssh:

Amnistar posted:

This makes me think that some mod made the item and then was like, "Oh, but let's put a downside. I know, they can constantly be under the effect of Spell X." Not thinking about the fact that the robe makes them immune to low level spells.

Haha, on looking it up, there's apparently something called the BP Balancer. I found it looking for this item in particular. Wonder why. I also found the writers of DSotSC grouching about people complaining about overpowered stuff.

Also, the Big World PDF is hilarious on the topic of certain mods.

Exnem's Items Mod posted:

"This Mod contains 21 new spells and 88 new items plus edited monsters and areas. The mod includes items from Final Fantasy, Lord of the Rings and who knows what else, nevermind the fact that they are overpowered beyond imbalanced and the fact that it also potentially overwrites your random treasure table."

SHS forum posted:

Well, that was my point when I used those words originally to suggest it really shouldn't be in BWP at all. So they just quoted me verbatim and put that in the PDF, presumably to warn off potential users. O_o

Oh hey, I found some-

I know what the curse is. Sortof. I also suspect I know what that constant resistance message is and it's not what you'd think. Would you like to know?

Actually, it looks like the thing is mysteriously and inexplicably bugged sometimes. Keep an eye on your spell slots, they can apparently glitch out when you wear it. Hopefully that's been fixed.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 6, 2012

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vorgen posted:

If it is something that I can find out in-game some day, don't tell me. But if it is something fun-breaking like a bug, let me know. Or you could PM me.

You actually know it already, though it has not occurred to you! :science: If it comes up, I'll mention it. DO keep an eye on your spell slots, though, because them scrambling is in fact a bug and I've not found if it's been fixed or not yet.

The report was in 2005, so perhaps that one has been fixed.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 6, 2012

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

This makes me curious. Could you load up the item and check?

Edit: oh never mind, someone's already on this.

Ifff it's alright with Vorgen, I can put it under spoiler tags? You can't get PMs or I'd just go ahead and say it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

This makes me curious. Could you load up the item and check?

Edit: oh never mind, someone's already on this.

Alright then! Keep in mind that... well, with all these mods installed, this could be inaccurate. I'm going by information I found from other people talking about the DSotSC specifically in the context of the Big World Project.

HERE THERE BE CURSE SPOILERS.

The messages could potentially be from resisting Syv's own effects. See... in Baldur's Gate 1 at least, spell immunity doesn't care if the spell is nice or not. You're immune and that is that. Even spell resistance didn't care if a spell was helpful or harmful. I know it's Trilogy, but we are getting these messages and it was noted to happen in the Trilogy/BWP. With so many mods in, this may have changed, but the fact that the log is complaining may indicate otherwise. This includes healing spells. Which will just silently do nothing.

...spells that remove curses? Are some of what is resisted here. Someone noted having to use a save editor to remove it when it bugged their first level spell slots.

So yeah, the curse is that it is so good at resisting magic that it resists some of the most commonly used beneficial magic, some of the only beneficial magic you have access to in Baldur's Gate 1.

We'll know if this is right soon enough...

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 7, 2012

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ETB posted:

I thought they removed resisting beneficial spells in BG2, like with the instance of Viconia? If this is true, then the curse is nullified, as BWP uses the BG2 mechanics of spell resistance, ja?

This is what I thought as well, but the thing is that I found this information in reference to Trilogy/BWP. They may have scripted it into the item for all I know. That's why we'll have to wait and see.

If that's not the curse, then there is literally no curse that anyone can figure out. Which is amusing... but terrible.

I'm afraid taking apart Infinity Engine files is not my forte. If someone can do so, they might want to try to take a look to be sure. This was the only information I could find on it at all.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 7, 2012

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
+1 Imoen
+1 Minsc
-1 Squirrel (comedic, but that 1 dex looks nasty)
+1 Coran (doesn't he have a quest there?)
+1 Shar-Teel (isn't she kinda sorta sideways related to someone in the plot? Maybe something'll happen)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just figure... it might be really hard to see content for all these drat NPCs if we're roping in random animals and such. We may want to at the least leave animals out of party when we're in cities?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sejs Cube posted:

Valid point - how about we just limit it to only one animalbro in the active party at a time?

That way we can still be ridiculous with psionic moose and invisibears, but there's still plenty of room left to showcase mod content.

I am on board with this! I do approve of invisibears and psionic moose.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Now we suffered through all that Shar'Teel for no payoff!

Also god, that mod was terrible.

About the curse, for people who read the spoilers on it earlier: Okay that's kinda hilarious. At least one healing spell seems to have failed this update. But at least one seemed to succeed. I can't see the exact spell being used, but it may really be because of that "curse."

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vorgen posted:

I FINALLY found out what this mod is. It is the Dark Horizons mod.

Hmm...

quote:

Last but not least Section. This ultra elite group wants you and your friends dead. Has someone hired them or do they have their own agenda? It seems they have connections every where and people to help them, willingly or not. You are their number one target and they will not stop until you are dead. But even if you destroy them it does not mean you won. ;)

Oh god, you might have to deal with more of those morons later.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sejs Cube posted:

No, leave Quayle for now. He's already high level, and we've got some folks that could use the experience.

Agreed. No, leave Quayle for now.

I'm going to add: If Yes wins, replace Seafoam. I really would rather have characters with dialog.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 21, 2012

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vorgen posted:

She'd enrage Firebead with lust. And I did that migration mostly to see what each character would say on their first introduction to the city. And to get Kivan's quest complete in Wyrm's Crossing.

Plus, I'm not sure everyone would fit in my tiny little pocket plane.

Take Firebead to the tavern? If she breaks everyone around her, she really needs her own dropoff spot.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shei-kun posted:

Yes, 1 (Imoen), E (Wonderbounce)

This is my vote.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

For those who haven't played this game before, this is not modded dialogue. The Baldur's Gate games have always been on the loopy side.

Telling off Portalwinderbinden and a certain line you can get while you're helping Scar out are always ENDLESSLY hilarious to me.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vorgen posted:

Remember its only for ten days. Imoen will go back on the bench after this thiefly business is taken care of.

You should get whatshisface out of the pocket plane and stick Wonderbounce there where she can't cause an apocalyptic fight.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

shovelbum posted:

I really want to see this LP stick to fleshed-out fully-scripted NPCs, especially those with a lot of mod content or those from mods with a lot of content. Having a bear or whatever is just a pile of statistics with a funny icon. While Vorgen does a great job weaving it all together (no pun intended) with his narratives, I feel the thread is best served by choices that showcase as much of the new and sometimes ridiculous content as possible!

I agree with this. I mean, we're trying to showcase ridiculous mods... it's more difficult to do that if you don't actually use the billion mod characters.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I vote Expert. It seems to fit her well.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

BWP is nothing if not balanced :smuggo:

I think that's the best part of the incredibly variable levels of bullshit in the BWP. They sorta DO balance out, only not in a positive way. You can only survive the bullshit encounters by using the bullshit magical items you get in some of the mods.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THE CURSE! Not that it mattered much, but still.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pizdec posted:

I hesitate to ask, but what's the story with the Sarevok romance?

As a girl myself, I can...

Okay, don't look at me like that. I could perhaps suggest that the attraction would be his AMAZING VOICE. He's also a pretty interesting character in general toward the end.

I can think of much worse reasons to make a romance mod. Most of these worse reasons involve pointing at the creator of that Imoen mod, but still, there are worse reasons!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vorgen posted:

Heh, I can just imagine it now. "Hey baby, how about you and I gather our party and venture forth, if you know what I mean?" (Yes, Sarevok's voice actor recorded those lines too. If you click on an area exit you'll probably get that message 3 or 4 times before everybody gets there. It is one of the most iconic things about BG2.)

It's actually my ringtone! I call it my geek detector. Phone goes off, guy flinches? He's totally played Baldur's Gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arkeus posted:

*cough cough*, don't forget that quest of 'Imoen' where you need her to use that spell a certain number of times for the ghost to visit you.

What? Is this from a mod I don't know about?

• Locked thread