Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

+1 to:

Minsc for a stable killing platform.
Imoen if for no other reason than the goddamn ton of traps in that mine.
Tiax because Tiax rules all.
Finch for being the most inoffensive healer option.
Kagain for backup murdering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Vorgen posted:

I've also got a mind to bribe Firkraag the red dragon to join our party. And the spectator beholder in the Underdark. And some non-hostile undead, perhaps a lich that we encounter. Or Bodhi.
While that does sound fun, I wager you've played around with the golden pantaloons easter egg, and I can't imagine moving Firkraag around through confined spaces would be any more fun.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Boneless Jogger posted:

What difficulty were you on? If you aren't on Core or above there's no permadeath IIRC. Not that it's frequent anyway, but that might be the reason.

I never got how being gibbed or disintegrated meant the character died permanently, at least in Baldur's Gate 2. After all, even in 2nd edition you only needed part of the body to use Resurrection.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

From the description, the Helm of Glory is clearly supposed to be a unique item. So what's our policy on duplicates?
It's actually a "miscellaneous magic item" straight from the DMG. The description may give it some extra character, but there's no general reason for dozens to not exist.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Oh yah, that's a good point. And next time we have a party vote I'll include everyone's level and spells (if they know some) in the descriptions so that people can make informed choices.
Listing every spell every character knows may get overwhelming, and certainly will if you keep this up into future votes. I'd suggest listing the number of each level of spells at most.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Surprise Pizza posted:

Doesn't Syvishtar need a new character portrait now?
Eh, he's an elf. It's not like it would be all that different.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Vorgen posted:

I have a feeling that this one is going to be permanent...

Try throwing (or getting caught in) a Dispel Magic. We must experiment!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I think you mixed up the image order there a bit.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

For the sake of optimization rather than party dynamics or characterization, I shall vote for the following:

Bjornin
Branwen
Imoen
Kivan
Minsc

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I wonder, has anyone here read the Baldur's Gate novels? I remember I saw them in a Barnes and Noble once. I randomly flipped to a page where Jaheira was getting her top ripped off by a spider in the Cloakwood Forest and decided against reading anything else. Well, aside from the end of the third book to see which route the author picked. Mortal, of course.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sejs Cube posted:

You know when Coran shows up in BG2? That one.

Is that the dude in the random wilderness region whose girlfriend turns into a werewolf? Because if not, I'm going to need a better refresher.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Imoen is the main character's sister because she acts like his/her sister, beyond all other considerations.

End discussion.

Please.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

Ok, so you were actually doing some damage to him, right? And he wasn't fighting back? Can't you just get one of those magical bags of infinite arrows, set everyone to just keep attacking him, then go take a nap for an hour or so? Would that kill the beast?

You can see at the end that he tried to use Ctrl-Y three times and failed. The item always resets his hp to 115 if it falls below the threshold.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Brainamp posted:

I'm fairly sure that there are other alignment changing items, but if you really wanted to see it Vorgen could cheat Syvishtar(a)'s alignment.

I don't think it would even be that hard. I believe you can just change the romance modifier in Shadowkeeper.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sejs Cube posted:

And it's a 20th level cleric.
And at-will Imprisonment.
And every arrow it fires is an arrow of slaying.
And three times a day they can charm 40hd of creatures for 20 days at a time.
And if it's alone for ten minutes it can get backed up by an unlimited number of Planetars.
And it has access to the A-list spells needed to kill a city (Control Weather, Control Winds, Earthquake, Contagion, Summon Undead).

Solars are bad news.

Eh, it's basically like the Balor and the Pit Fiend: dangerous on paper, but set it against an equally powerful player character and watch it drop.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Oh man, Sir BillyBob is literally disgusting.

:barf:

You forget the part where he could be totally in charge of everything but he isn't because he's too cool for school.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

But the MINHP1 item makes him effectively invulnerable.

At this point, I would be tempted to hack the mod files to get rid of that item, ctrl-y the fucker, and refuse to wear the loot out of spite.

The master plan that's been brought up is to make use of another mod to recruit him, steal his stuff through the inventory interface, then kick his rear end to the curb.

Since Mr. BillyBob probably didn't account for this other mod, I suppose it makes sense for his loot to be pulled off him that way.

It'd also be a nice way to get rid of him permanently. If I recall, if you ask a joinable NPC to wait where he's standing, he'll eventually disappear after a couple of days of waiting for you to come back.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

A little bit of me wants to go :argh: every time they call it a "Glorious Hand" instead of "Hand of Glory."

Thank goodness the mod is finally over, though. It's just a shame they stole back the Hand of Glory (Hand of Glory!) before you left.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Well, we already have the crazy good archer. We're sure Kivan won't go blind, right?

Like that's ever stopped an archer in a fantasy setting.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Are you going to potentially bend the rules a bit and allow Imoen to take a wizard kit?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Clearly the only thing to do about this conflicting backstory issue is to ignore that it even exists. Then we must forget the memory, then the memory of the memory, and then we will have nothing. We will contemplate Irenicus' backstory and feel nothing. It will be a hollow, dead thing.

Ask Bub for tips. I understand he goes through this sort of thing regularly.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 27, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I don't believe so - IIRC, they both have the "any non-evil" alignment requirement.

At present, S furthermore won't qualify for the following BG2 romances:

Sarah (fails reputation requirement - 12)
Gavin (fails Wisdom requirement - 8)
Sarevok (fails Charisma requirement - 11)
Amber (fails Charisma requirement - 12)
Angelo (fails Charisma requirement - 12)
Arath (fails Charisma requirement - 12)
Ninde (fails Charisma requirement - 13)
Yoshimo (fails Charisma requirement - 13)
Saerileth (fails Charisma requirement - 15)
Tsujatha (fails alignment requirement - Good)
Ajantis (fails alignment requirement - Good or Lawful Neutral)
Nathaniel (fails alignment requirement - Good or Lawful Neutral)
Petsy Chatterstone (fails race requirement - gnome/halfling/dwarf)

Does the game check current Charisma or native? Because if Sy gets that one Charisma ring from the circus...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

sebzilla posted:

You mean you didn't get to the part with Jefferson Starship?

Big-name bands with horrible songs!
Famous comedians who aren't in the least bit funny!
Brief cameos from the film's actors who are obviously phoning it in!
Vast stretches of wookies without subtitles!
Dear god, the wookies without subtitles!

New and improved!
See it today!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Miss Hime posted:

I've finally got myself sorted out with Big Project, I ended up doing several installs just because I kept tweaking my installation file. My main advice to anyone using the automatical updater, READ THROUGH THE OPTIONS VERY CAREFULLY. A couple of times I ended up with the BG1 UI because the 'recommended' Big install pack comes with it ticked automatically.

Best experience so far? Xan and Ajantis were having a discussion about my PC. Xan challenged Ajantis by asking him what he would do if my PC ever broke the law, would he do his duty and arrest her? Ajantis was very shocked at the suggestion that my PC would even dream of breaking the law and refused to continue the conversation.

It just so happened that my PC had just finished selling all the swag she'd stolen from every house in Beregost...suddenly I felt very sheepish. I know these things aren't delibrately programmed in but the amount of similarly well timed conversations that Vorgen seems to get as well. I think the game knows what we're doing :tinfoil:

Ajantis, on the other hand, is entirely clueless.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Vorgen posted:

I'm not sure if temporary bonuses count or not. But Syv wouldn't have to learn it, Imoen can just cast it on her!

Well, it won't hurt to try. Cast it, pause your way into a hypothetical romance dialogue, then check the variables on Shadowkeeper.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Can elves even grow beards in the Forgotten Realms?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Vorgen posted:

I could do that I guess... I'd have to work it into the narrative somehow though.

Not really. Just have a little side note whenever you recruit a core character into your party. It's just a line or two and it often breaks the fourth wall.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Benjifer posted:

It didn't increase all saving throws in 2E, only Save vs Spells, and even then only if they were mind affecting. Although I think you might be right on that not being affected in vanilla BG.

True, and that'll make things hard to check if one of the mods really did fix it, since it won't necessarily show up on the stats screen, at least not obviously.

It'd have been nice if they put in the spell immunities you get from 19+ Wisdom, though. Ranges from stuff like Charm Person and Friends up to Geas and eventually Death.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

^^^^^^^Seven Hells and Infinite Abyss both exist in Forgotten Realms cosmology, I think. It's Dragonlance where basically all the gods get their own layer in the Abyss.

I think the whole Petitioner system was set up in Planescape, rather than Forgotten Realms, mostly to explain why there aren't a ton of extremely powerful former mortals wandering through the afterlife wreaking all sorts of havoc. As such, it applies generally to all D&D settings; the only FR-specific bits are the Fugue Plain and how you need a god to sponsor you out of the Wall of the Faithless.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

The Forgotten Realms, Krynn, and Greyhawk are both tacit parts of the Planescape setting as different material planes or different worlds on the Prime Material Plane, too. Ravenloft is just kind of weird and by its very nature doesn't involve the planes at all. Dark Sun is separate as a place that does exist in the overall metasetting but has been sealed off from the planes for the most part. Eberron, on the other hand, is as usual off doing its own thing completely with nary a gently caress to be given for the rest of DnD.

Ravenloft is a sealed-off demiplane in the Ethereal Plane, making it like Dark Sun where it exists but doesn't interact with the meta-settings. And although they never provided a guide or anything, Eberron's planes map fairly easily to the extended Planescape/Greyhawk planes if the DM is so inclined.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Well, it's up to the DM if Xoriat and the Far Realm are the same thing or not. In Eberron, Xoriat is one of the thirteen planes orbiting the plane of Eberron itself and is home to everything that calls the Far Realm home in other settings, plus a new suite of aberrations specific to Eberron, like the Daelkyr. In the setting's backstory, after a long-ago war against a Xoriat invasion, orc druids successfully threw Xoriat far out of its normal planar orbit so that Xoriat and Eberron can no longer cross over.

Other planes that could be mapped easily enough to Planescape planes are Daanvi (Arcadia), Kythri (Limbo), Lamannia (the Beastlands), Mabar (Negative Energy Plane), and maybe Thelanis (Fae, if you give them their own plane). Dolurrh, Fernia, Irian, Risia, and Syrania could, at a stretch, be mapped to planes, but don't really fit. Finally, Dal Quor and Shevarath have no parallels at all.

Eberron does have the Astral, Ethereal, and Shadow Planes, but again, the cosmology and way the planes interact is so wildly different that it would be a stretch to say that Eberron is part of the normal metasetting.
You can manage it if you go into the extended cosmology; para- and quasielemental planes and all the optional pseudo planes from the back of the books. The way I would map them is Daanvi (Arcadia), Dal Quor (Plane of Dream), Dolurrh (Gray Waste), Fernia (Elemental Plane of Fire), Irian (Positive Elemental Plane or Elysium), Kythri (Limbo), Lamannia (Beastlands), Mabar (Negative Elemental Plane), Risia (Paraelemental Plane of Ice), Shavarath (Acheron, considering the blade beasts), Syrania (Elemental Plane of Air), Thelanis (Arboria), and Xoriat (Far Plane). The relative prominence of these planes could be explained by the special connection Eberron's moons have with them, as with the conjunction system.

Of course, like you said, this does require some stretching. The only reason for a DM to do it would be to bring Eberronian characters into Planescape or vice versa. I just like to have that option, even if it goes unused.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Vorgen posted:

So we will use the aid of Conchobhair Strongblade, Holy Swordsman, in our quest to slay the dragon. On another note, does anybody know how to pronounce this guy's name?

Probably like Kon-kho-bhair.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sejs Cube posted:

It's all part of the linguistic spectrum. There are some languages like Hawaiian or Japanese that mostly use distinct little phonetic blocks that are chained together to make words but remain distinct sounds. Then you get things like the Romance or Germanic languages where you get parts of the word that modify how other parts of the word work - things start to get rather complex because maybe half of the letters in a word are there to give you context.

And then there are languages like Gaelic or Welsh who just take that whole concept to extremes because gently caress you.

Hawaiian and Japanese are also easy to pronounce because they write in a different alphabet that got transliterated to Latin letters by an English speaker. Stuff like French and German are a bit harder because they also had the Latin alphabet and decided to take the letters in different directions.

I can't help but think that Gaelic and Welsh writing was also modified by their respective nations really hating the English back when words were being standardized.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Gameplay note: K. Dragon's dead.

:golfclap:

Well, it's probably pretty young, after all.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

sortof. Except they added bits to it which change pronunciation. It also depends heavily on accents! Because otherwise it'd be too easy.

Here we go again. Maybe I can explain better this time. CùChoinneach is not actually a real name, more or less. The closest would be Coinneach (Kin-ek), which is where the name Kenneth comes from. Coinneach means white-haired and Cu means dog. Anyway. The Cù would be Koo, as in Cù Sìth. Ch is "h" or a hard "ch/k". Between vowels (this matters), it's an H sound. Oi - this would be stressed and it's next to an n (this also matters). Probably a short i sound, like "in". NN is more obvious. Ea - that's a schwa (eh) or a like "ban". Probably the former. And another Ch, but this one is probably more of a K sound. So we've got Koo-hin-ek, with the emphasis more on the middle syllable.

You forgot to add that the "Cu" prefix is probably a reference to the most famous Gaelic hero, Cu Chulainn. So the guy's name is probably Kenneth, he did some research on the name's history, and then added "Cu" to make his PnP-gaming-hero/self-insert's name. And now he's all obsessed with Scotland, regardless of whether he lives there or not.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

+2 Imoen
+2 Bear
+1 Bardo

That little guy managed to pull quite a lot of weight as a party member!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

There's a fan-made 3.5 squirrel.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Barbearian, Beguiler, and drop down to Average rep. It's the CN thing to do.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

1E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I have to say, mean-spirited thought it was, I appreciated Edwin's retaliation against the underwhelming mage quest-giver.

• Locked thread