Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.
-5 to Shar-Teel, the mod poo poo with her is awful and I'd gladly never see it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Brainamp posted:

+5 to Shar-Teel, because I love bad mods and I want to spite you.
Curses, foiled again. :wotwot:

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Vorgen posted:

I think its very interesting how Kivan has shot up in popularity so much just by being an extremely effective murder machine and mostly keeping his mouth shut, heh.
Well, that and snatching away the poor guy's revenge when it's so close at hand does seem somewhat needlessly cruel.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Vorgen posted:

I don't really see how the capital city of Belarus is relevant here :commissar:.
That's only one good mod away from being workable. I mean c'mon, Anachronox had a whole planet as a party member, all we're asking for is one city.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Vorgen posted:

A whole other page or more of votes? Who are you people and where do you come from?
Conflict brings out the voices, Syvishtara. Even the ones you thought you finally made quiet all those years ago.

By the way, you should start some fires.

...so nice, the fires. So warm and comforting and brilliant how they wrap you up and writhe across your mind like the magic always squirming always dancing the magic wants you to burn things Syvishtara the fires need to come out you need to let them into the world they need to burn and you have to be the door...

Sejs Cube fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 13, 2012

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Most controversial award goes to: Shar-teel! (Last time it was Edwin)
I love you guys so much, each and every one. :allears:

Nanja Monja posted:

I can't wait for when Xan inevitably gets gibbed in the first fight of the update, before actually getting the chance to have any banter. :allears:
Seems tragically likely given that the poor guy is made out of crêpe paper. I don't know who thought it was a good idea making him into a fighter who gets to dress up in mage drag after 8th level, but I definitely don't agree with them. He was at least somewhat interesting as a mage, what with the no evocations thing, but this ... this is no good.

JT Jag posted:

Now Xan, he's a picture of generic Elven maudlin-ness.
I really don't understand where you're getting the idea that all elves are super mopey and depressed like Xan is, because I'm really not seeing it. Xan is so over the top he's a parody. I mean hell, one of his random quotes that he'll bust out with completely out of the blue is along the lines of "Why don't we all just do ourselves a big favor and lie down here and die."

Someone is clearly hiding the poor guy's medication.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

ETB posted:

Apparently you can kill Drizzt by attacking him with a bow across a lake, and the AI can't path him close enough to actually attack you.
Heavy use of animate dead always did the trick for me. Just give him ridiculous rolling clouds of ablative skeleton targets to carve through while you safely whittle him down from afar. No AI trickery required.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

2, E

Mur'neth is kind of not going anywhere at the moment. If he hadn't crabbed about that reputation gain it would have been easy to not notice he was there at all.

Also, unrelated but needs to be said, the Vulcan mind-meld thing was dumb. No, Xan, no it is not natural among your kin.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

He's a romance option. Tremble in fear.
It took a mod, but I guess whatshername from the old BG boards finally got what she wanted.

It's kind of saying something when you fixate on one NPC so much that the makers of the game put in a special encounter in the sequel making fun of you and your obsession.

Though thinking about it, really that's what all the godawful romance things forced into BG1 feel like. Someone deserving of scorn instead got to spooge up their terrible fanfiction all over an otherwise perfectly good game.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

If it's any consolation, the BG1 NPC Project has a mixed reputation even among modders. It's hugely variable in quality, as you might expect from a project that took years with a dozen people working on it. Some NPCs are generally agreed to be well-written in this mod, even if you don't necessarily agree with the direction they were taken. Others... not so much. Just wait till we meet BG1 NPC Faldorn...
Let me guess, she's no longer a rabid eco-terrorist with a deep, abiding hatred of mankind ... deep down she really just needs someone to love her and apply Bioware levels of healing cock?

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Xander77 posted:

?
You know when Coran shows up in BG2? That one.

Mister Adequate posted:

Tiax :smith:
When TIAX rules...

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Is that the dude in the random wilderness region whose girlfriend turns into a werewolf? Because if not, I'm going to need a better refresher.
Yep, that's the one. I was kinda trying to be sly on account of spoilers, but eh gently caress it, it's a minor encounter and frankly it's a million years in the future from where we are now.

In BG2, on the Forest of Tethyr map, there's a brief interlude that features the return of Coran and Safana from BG1. Also present are a group of wolfweres (not werewolves, no idea why) lead by a lady type named Lanfear. Minor betrayal subplot follows, but the hook lies in the fact that it turns out this Lanfear person is overboard, psycho ex-girlfriend levels of obsessed with Coran. Coran finds the whole thing creepy and obsessive and wants nothing to do with her. "Get this crazy bitch away from me."

You see, back in the mists of time, when the internet was still in its awkward teen years and back when the old BG message boards were still a thing, one of the people who posted there regularly was a young lady of the European persuasion who went by the name of Lanfear. Lanfear was loving goofballs over Coran. Coran was the absolute best thing. She loved Coran. Coran, Coran, Coran. Before there was even word that BG2 was in development she was already marching up and down the row, waving a sign, and loudly proclaiming that Coran must be in the sequel to Baldur's Gate. It HAD to happen. Once BG2's dev was actually announced, she loving exploded. Petitions, little fan-shrine web pages, the works. Girl was rabid.

Needless to say, the devs (as well as everyfuckingone else) got rather tired of that poo poo in short order. You like the character, we get it, shut up. Please. But she doesn't. So, time comes that word rolls down the pipe that okay, we give, obviously this means a lot to you, Coran will be in BG2 - we're sure you'll like how he's been implemented. We even gave you a little cameo as well, given that you're the one who convinced us to put him in.

Sejs Cube fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 24, 2012

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Vorgen posted:

soooo... all those in favor of romancing Keldorn if we're still female by then?
Nah, Syvishtara doesn't have nearly enough daddy issues to make that jive.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

fong posted:

I think his Wisdom is a bit higher, from memory
And to be fair, the BG games have always played it a bit fast and loose with stats and requirements. Minsc doesn't have the mental stats to be the class he is, let alone use its spellcasting abilities. Coran has a higher dex than is actually possible and is better at using a bow than he should be able to be. Etc, etc, etc.

Character over rules. Nothin' wrong with that.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Neverwinter was never abandoned for years, was it?
That's a reference to the fact that there was an old Neverwinter Nights game way, way back in the day. Was an early online multiplayer game (via AOL) that looked like the old gold box SSI games. The "abandoned for years" bit was pointing to the fact that they were working on a new Neverwinter Nights project, after the old game's servers had been shut down in '97.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Ok, well, I totally misread that then. Please forgive me, thread.

Never. :arghfist::spergin:

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

I would say bench Safana because she's working out to be another one of those barely there no-presence characters, so who cares if she's with us or not. Buuuuuut, Xan DID die and all.

Voting 2. It's time for Mister Pink to hit the showers for a bit. Them's the breaks.

Maybe while he's there he can do some loving push-ups or something so we don't have to see his encumbrance: slowed message all the goddamn time.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Let's get into another twenty-page argument over Shar-teel. If it was good once, it'll be good a second time.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Woebin posted:

I keep reading her name as if someone is literally sharting a live eel. This vision holds little of pleasantries.
My brain keeps trying to think of it as a color somehow between chartreuse and teal.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Snugglecakes posted:

Agreed.

Suggested picture:

Look at that picture. Clearly he is a hypnotist beguiler. A beguiler of ladies.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

vilkacis posted:

I can't think of any new way to say "loving modders have no loving sense of loving balance", so I'm not even going to try.

It's still ridiculous, though.

Man, you aren't wrong. Welcome to Restenford - quiet fishing village and also the most prosperous magical hub in the northern realms. But mostly fishing village, honest.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

I'll admit, Irenicus redemption mod isn't one I'm familiar with. What's the overview? Other than what the title gives away, I mean.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Tithin Melias posted:

They literally have the same father. Regardless of how they view each other as either sibling or lifelong friend, they biologically have the same dude as a dad. That's incest regardless of how you try and swing it.
Their father was an anthropomorphic personification of murder and intrigue who didn't so much have kids as he did squirrel away portions of his divine essence inside unborn mortals as proof against retribution for a future plot which he expected to result in his death. There is no biology involved, dad isn't quite the right term, and he really wasn't a dude.

That being said, the tone of the mod sounds amazingly distasteful, and, ick, yeah.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Snicker-Snack posted:

Phaulkon is a Greyhawk god, isn't he?
Yup. It also sounds like you're trying to say "Falcon" around a mouthful of marbles.

Also, Billy Bob's casual "Oh yeah, me and Elminster? We're bros" was awful. For shame, mod writer. For shame.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

I'd say hold off on laying down policy just yet, at least until we encounter the next one. If, by then, it seems to be the start of a rather gross trend we should be able to come to a decision. Ideally something appropriately nasty, brutish, and short.

Oh, and I guess I forgot to vote on what to do.
C. Let's mount that bald hill.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Wait, are you implying that Ed Greenwood isn't an omnipotent womanizing wizard already?

So, which one of those two is his great-granddaughter?

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would approve of a quick, non-canonical update in which the rules are temporarily suspended. Call it a weird dream or something.
Soon as we're done with his content, console him dead, write it up as a tragic heart attack. He's clearly getting on in years, these things happen. Everyone's all broken up over it, truly.

But, yes. Now that we've seen what's under the hood, that self-inset is too disgusting to let live. Drag him out behind the woodshed and Old Yeller that rear end.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Depends on how the AI handles what he's got, but I'd put it at somewhere between 2 to 4 rounds.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

IIRC, Xan dies for good in BG2 if you romanced him as an elf.
Color me confused - is Xan something other than an elf at some point?
Or does the Xan romance have special stuff that happens if your character is also an elf?

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Jazzimus Prime posted:

So does anyone have any insight as to why there's now a clock counting down to noon Pacific time tomorrow on the Baldur's Gate website? A countdown to some sort of announcement, maybe?

http://baldursgate.com/
It's counting down until the return of Bhaal. Everyone who has ever played a Baldur's Gate game will die and have their lifeforce harvested to facilitate the rebirth of the Lord of Murder.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

A - let's finish what we started.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Guys, I just realized something. It is taking me so many actual hours to play this Let's Play that some of you may have noticed that we've been moving through romance talks at a surprisingly fast rate*. Well I just did some looking and we are almost done with Branwen's romance talk progression for ... for... forever. We will have a few more conversations, and she'll probably pipe up at major plot events, but soon we will have seen all of her content. That kinda makes me sad.

* Edit: This is because the timing of lovetalks depends on actual seconds passed rather than in-game hours. And because I'm taking screenshots and writing up sentences while the game is paused, a lot of seconds pass per update compared to if you played it yourself.

That explains the romance dialogue density. I thought it felt like it was progressing rather fast.

Anyway, once Branwen's romance is done, if there are others then explore 'em. I mean c'mon, chaotic neutral wild mage with a wis of 3. It's not like stability is really Syvishtara's strong suit.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Well, the only other ones she's eligible for in BG1 are Xan, Shar-Teel, and Coran. Ineligible for Dynaheir, and Ajantis is gone.
And we haven't run into Coran yet, gotcha. Good to know.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

JGBeagle posted:

Is Saerilith that one PC who is like 15 or something and can romance?
Yeah, put me in the group of folks who doesn't know who Saerilith is.

So, uh, who dat?

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

People posted:

[Saerilith info]
I see.

Ick. Pass.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Isn't the forgotten realms set in the year 2500 or something anyway, so that whole medieval period doesn't really mean anything, because it is a society held back by the existance of magic and mages blowing poo poo up, or was that a different setting?
That's another setting, but parts of it still apply. Magic tends to stunt or stagnate cultural development a bit because it gives you the What without having to get there via the How. Who needs to understand material sciences and the physics of flight when you can just cast a spell and make something fly?

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Think of Solars as archangels. They're really high-up angelic servants of good deities.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Power words as spell-like abilities and a bunch of other nasty poo poo? Wow, stay away from those guys for a long time. And make sure they stay away from you.
And it's a 20th level cleric.
And at-will Imprisonment.
And every arrow it fires is an arrow of slaying.
And three times a day they can charm 40hd of creatures for 20 days at a time.
And if it's alone for ten minutes it can get backed up by an unlimited number of Planetars.
And it has access to the A-list spells needed to kill a city (Control Weather, Control Winds, Earthquake, Contagion, Summon Undead).

Solars are bad news.

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Eh, it's basically like the Balor and the Pit Fiend: dangerous on paper, but set it against an equally powerful player character and watch it drop.
Oh, certainly. At levels like that it starts to suffer from the same problem that older editions of Shadowrun had - the guy who goes first wins. And a PC cleric of high enough level can swing Infinite Planetars too, provided their god is deep enough in their corner.

But that's kind of the point, isn't it. At equivalent level something like a Solar or a Pit Fiend, etc isn't supposed to utterly destroy you. It's supposed to present a reasonable challenge.

Edit: Whazz, oh hey an update. Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Vorgen posted:

(he chuckles) I'm not as old as Elminster but I have been around for quite a while. Longer than most full-blooded elves could hope for. I'm not a Chosen for any deity but I have been tasked by some to help shift power and control from one faction to another. By the way, who is now in charge at Candlekeep? I haven't been there in many years.

Tethtoril.

What?! Hmm, I think I remember a stable boy by that name. I guess it has been awhile since I was last there. Well, anyway, I need to get back to my crops. Good luck to you Syvishtara.
:arghfist::barf:

Get hosed, BillyBob. You are awful.

• Locked thread