Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Vorgen posted:

...low abilities otherwise all around. He looks really smug for a dude who's pretty average...

Ouch.

My old-school DnD character who has 13 as his highest stat cries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

As much as I love Minsc, I'd say don't take him to the party. We've all played Baldur's Gate many times and know him. I'd rather if you took as many new or uncommon NPCs as possible.

That said, if you really want Minsc, get rid of Khalid and Jaheira and keep Shar-teel!

EDIT: My vote is clear the mines with Khalid and Jaheira, then kick them out of the party.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

We could always do it hardcore and not resurrect anyone ever. Natural selection would decide who'd be our party member :D

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Isn't the point of this LP to see as much modded content as possible, including the horrible characters?

I think it would be best to keep rotating characters so we get to see a lot of them. Even if they are badly written and annoying, keep them for a while (say, two or three updates) so we get to laugh at them. Then drop them off once they get boring and hire someone new.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I say... leave two spots for old favorites that we want to have all the time (Minc and... Viconia? Or Imoen?), rotate the remaining three.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Vorgen posted:

Did someone seriously replace the original portrait by a Photoshopped photo of himself? :cry:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

When a character dies, they get resurrected and immediately retired. They can't join the party again until you rotate through all the remaining characters. :v:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

1.B Replace Finch with Viconia.
(Finch has been quite boring lately and never seems to say anything.)

2.E Turn him into a barbarian
(Guy seems too clever for a berserker)

---

Vorgen posted:

Wow, I really like the idea that if they die we have to drop them off at the Inn to recover and swap them out for another character. The character selected would be the next-highest in the vote rankings for that session. And you can think of the diluted XP the group suffers from as an additional death penalty. That's a really awesome idea!

So... why did you keep the NPCs that died in this update? Are you still waiting for more feedback?

If people think that it's too harsh to rotate all other NPCs before being able to rehire a resurrected one, we could make it a bit less strict. Simply retire the resurrected for "some time" and let Vorgen decide when they'll be available again.

OR... another idea.

IIRC, the original pen-and-paper DnD had a rule that each resurrection costs the character a point of Constitution. I suppose we could emulate this by hacking. Characters who die often would then have to be retired not because of arbitrary guidelines, but simply because they'd become useless (poor, poor Shar-teel).

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Probably because he actually played the scenes he showed in this update already and the idea for the death rotation only came up a couple hours ago.

:ughh:

I should think more.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

+1 Khalid
+1 Jaheira (because we're going to Nashkel after all)
+2 Shar-teel
-1 Imoen (for a change... we can still get her back later)

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Giggily posted:

I am totally okay with a warrior woman but it seems like her character is basically nonexistent outside of her gender. That's pretty boring.

Strange... I find her one of the most well defined characters so far, definitely better than, say, Finch ("librarian") or Gavin ("a guy who asks questions") or Kivan ("emo!"). She's a heartless, aggressive woman-bear who has issues with men, and she has some great lines. She's one dimensional, yes, but on par with Tiax or Xzar. I can't understand why shy has fewer votes than, for example, Bub Snikt who's just an empty box with high stats.

Anyone care to tell me where does all the hate come from? Is it because you don't like the romance? (Again, I find great because the relationship is so much different from what you usually see in games.)

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

There's no point going to Nashkel without Jaheira or Khalid.

A: Stay away from mysterious caves and go kill a basilisk-taming crazymage.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

By the way, Vorgen, I really like how you've solved the Shar-teel issue. Having the pub talks is a great way to see her "story" while not necessarily having her in party. Should make everyone happy and prevent further vote battles.

Also, yay for Shar-teel joining the party! :v:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Did you collect Jaheira's items or are they still lying by the cave?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Vorgen posted:

This is for all of you Shar-teel naysayers.
She won this fight.

:colbert:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

So far I remain unconvinced of the qualities of any fan-made NPC we've seen so far. They all seem... bland. Finch is possibly the closest to having a personality, though I can't help but feel she's just a Mary Sue (it's the portrait, I guess? With a different portrait she might feel OK). But for some reason, the idea of a shy bookworm doesn't really work when I see her wearing plate armour and swinging a two-handed sword. I don't believe her. Disparate readings, anyone?

Anyway, Finch is fine, I guess.

But the others? Rose is just an empty shell with no personality whatsoever (IIRC, somebody said the NPC is unfinished, which makes sense). Gavin is the same – he's just a machine for asking personal questions and occasionally having a "heart-breaking" confession. I bet he was written by an emo girl who imagined she would create a "sensitive man" or whatever. But people don't work like that! He doesn't feel like a real person. He has an interesting backstory, but the execution is lacking. (Still, whenever I think of Kivan, I start to love Gavin!)

We haven't seen much of the others, so here's hoping for some party shuffling!

This isn't meant as a criticism of the LP, because seeing horrible fan creations and laughing at them is what this LP is about! I greatly enjoy reading this, Vorgen!

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I really hope we get to keep Shar-teel and Minsc for at least one whole update. I want to see how she reacts to this manly warrior man.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

E: Replace Imoen

I know people like Imoen but come on... everyone always plays with Imoen. She's the canonical sidekick. We've all seen her a bazillion of times before.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 18, 2011

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

A: Put him in Minsc's spot. We're going to kill Dynaheir for Edwin, and it's best if Minsc doesn't witness that.

Because I don't want this to be another canonical walkthrough.
I want a party with Edwin, Xzar, Kagain, Tiax, Shar-teel and a negative reputation. :drac:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

If we're going to Naskel, we should take the NPCs who have their quests in there so we can see and enjoy all their dialogues and stories! That means:

Khalid +2
Jaheira +1
Yzar +2

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

C. Get rid of Viconia, because I want to keep Xzar.

Come one, people, get over the standard vanilla party already. We came here to see stuff we haven't seen before, right? What's with the weird urge to have Misc, Viconia and all the other typical characters always around?

Also, I think we should always try to take those NPCs who have their quests or storylines where we are going - just to make things more interesting. I'm pretty disappointed we haven't taken Khalid and Jaheira with us (on the other hand, they are the canonical party so I can live with not seeing them in the mines this time). But at least keep Xzar, if nothing else, please!

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Wait, Vorgen, are you replaying the whole game from the beginning? :aaa:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Yes
Yes
Yes

I haven't seen any of these NPCs in a playthrough and would like to correct this oversight.
But try to find good in-game reasoning for the resurrections.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Keep Xan's portrait. I like how you look exactly like each other.
Use this as your portrait instead:

As for the other vote:
A. Replace Minsc. I still want to see Xzar's content down here, and Minsc just killed a party member. He deserves a rest.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Vorgen posted:

And check this out:

...aaaand now you need a new avatar.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I'm baffled. Shouldn't Xzar have had a special quest dialogue down in the mines or something? I haven't ever played BG with him in the party, but he does say he wants to solve the mines problem. What's wrong?

As for the votes:

What should we do with Thorfinn Hauskluniff?
4. Put him in Edwin's spot.

What should we do with Bjornin?
?F?. Say goodbye to him. (Did you omit this option deliberately because you really want him in the party?)

Bjornin is boring as hell. It's not even a proper NPC, he won't have any dialogues or banters at all.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Try throwing (or getting caught in) a Dispel Magic. We must experiment!

I think he hinted at something...
...more sinister.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Both D and G are great, but since D is already Jaheira, I'm voting G.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

-3 Bjornin: He's not a proper NPC. He doesn't talk. Boring.
+2 Shar-Teel: :colbert:

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 10, 2012

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

It just occurred to me... have we not resurrected Montaron in the end?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

3E

Murneth really seems boring. Does he even have a purpose now that we've cleaned the Naskel mines?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Fighting Trousers posted:

Personally, I'd rather the original, and feel willing to stake my hetrosexual female cred on that.

I'd rather the original, and feel willing to stake my hetrosexual male cred on that even. :geno:

But yes, I hate Kivan mostly just because of the portrait. It's... just wrong.
I liked the original Kivan though.
I even used his portrait for my main protagonist.

On the other hand, I feel like we shouldn't change the portrait. We are supposed to play the Big World Project and see how horrible it can be at times. We are not allowed to make it better, more sane or avoid the horrible conversations. We must see it all!

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

vilkacis posted:

Which portrait does he end up with if you're using his default? Xan's secondary is absolutely great, so I'm wondering if Kivan's is equally "fitting".

If you take Kivan's portrait for yourself, Kivan himself looks like this:

It would be sooo fitting to use this portrait for the new, modded Kivan.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

So I finally decided to give GWP a try. Is there a way of downloading all the hundreds of mods automatically? The official PDF and the guide on forums mentions downloading them manually, which is something I really don't want to do.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I'm in the process of installing BWP right now, I'm following this guide, it's up to date. In the end I had to dowload all the mods manually, but that didn't take most of the time. The worst came when I had to unpack them all - apparently they have all been packed a bit differently so you have no other option but going manually one after other. Unpacking everything on mass isn't a good solution! Apparently, some .zip or .rar files contain an .exe archive you have to run in the same way as all the other .exe archives. And other details.

In short: be patient, go through all the mods one after another and take care to unpack them correctly. It'll take time but it's better than to repeat the process.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

EllEssDee: You can use pretty much any mods, as long as you use the "Standard" or "Tactics" installation, not "Expert". The fact that it was crashing implies you've installed it wrong. Use this guide for a fresh install, it's pretty good. I have a couple of additional tips, after having installed it for three times before I finally got it working properly:

- If you're using non-western Windows (meaning anything else than the Windows-1252 code page), you need to set up compatibility. Look here, section 3.2.

- The above guide haves you download all the mods from this list manually, but tells you only to download those with the S or R icon. Download all of them, even those with T or E (unless there is something you specifically don't want to use). This will make your life easier later when you need to figure out which mods you've missed or forgot to download. Don't worry, the installer will sort it out by itself and won't install mods that you don't want or that crash the game.

- Once you have downloaded all the mods, you need to unpack them. Never unpack directly to the game's directory. Create an empty directory (ideally not the directory with your downloads but really a separate one) and unpack it to it. You will have to manually unpack one mode after another, don't unpack them in batch. Some of the mods are simple archives you just unpack, some are hidden in a useless extra directory in the archive, some are self-unpacking .exe files, some are self-unpacking .exes in an archive (!) etc. There's no way you can unpack it automatically. Be patient - this will take you some time but it's the only way to be sure you've done it correctly.
-- Make sure you unpack the all the "Infinity Animations" files properly, as described in the above guide.

- Now go back to the mod list, download everything from the "Addon" column and unpack it on top of your unpacked mods. This will overwrite some files.

- Now a final hotfix. Download this and again unpack it over your mods, overwriting files. (This hotfix only applies to the current BWP version, ie. 10.4.7/10.3.4 - both numbers refer to the same version for some reason).

- At this point you should have a tidy directory that contains all the mods, unpacked, and nothing else. Copy (not move) it over your Baldur's gate II installation and keep the original mod directory as a backup. Do not delete it, ever! You will hate yourself if you have to reinstall BWP for some reason and find out that you have to unpack all the mods once again.

- Run the installation as per the guide. When it checks for missing mods, try to find and install any you would not want to miss.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh and if your game crashes when entering Friendly Arm Inn, just read this thread and do as they tell. It's the pack mule, it doesn't work for some people and you need to get rid of it. No need to reinstall the game for this fix.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 11, 2012

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Doubleposting to separate this from the guide above.

In my installation of BWP, some modder had the "clever" idea to replace Imoen's BGI portrait and sounds with those from BGII. This means she's sad, broken and generally emo, rather than being the happy Imoen we all know and love from BGI. I've already changed the portrait back but can someone please tell me how do I change her sound set? The current one is really annoying.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Cythereal posted:

That's only if you're trying to run the BWP, I think. Most mods are infinitely easier to install.

At which point does it give this error? Can you post the log? I'm sure we can figure it out.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

2... because he just died + I'd love to have an update that isn't all about Xan for a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

EllEssDee posted:

When I open BG1 on it's own it gives me an assertion error at ChDimm.cpp at line number 561.

Does this mean you can't even run the unmodded game before having installed the BWP? Because I don't believe the BWP mod modifies BG1 at all.

If you followed the guides verbatim, then you should have installed both games unmodded, edited the .ini file to reflect their location on your disk, then create a new character in a) BGI, b) BGII, c) ToB to see if they work. When you are sure the vanilla game works, make a copy of both folders (leaving the old ones as a backup), edit the .ini file again to refrect their new location, and again make sure that they work. This process will tell us whether the problem is in the basic game or in the BWP mod.

Are you positively sure you made no mistake in this preparation? Everything I read about the ChDimm.cpp error seems to be a problem with the .ini config and file locations. Other causes that come to mind:
- You are on Vista/W7 and you are installing into the Program Files folder
- Your target BGII folder is named something else than "BGII - SoA"

EllEssDee posted:

Is there a way to post an error file from the WeiDu command prompt like thing? Is there no hope?!
There is a debug file for each installed mod, called DEBUG-MODNAME.log I think. You can open it in notepad, search for the word "error" to see what went wrong.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 13, 2012

• Locked thread