Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Sure, let's head north. Why not. Although Khalid and Jaheira leave your party if you take too long in going to investigate the mine IIRC. But that will only matter if we plan on keeping them, and even then it's not too strict a schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Noted, but I hope you'll understand my skepticism about how much worth that'll add. Probably be great for Minsc and other screwball characters like Tiax, though. You'd basically have to have a lobotomy to be whiff jokes with them, considering the setting.

Imoen is cool enough to stand still until you come back if my memory serves me correctly, which makes her ideal for ditching for a few updates if need be. Many other characters will wander off and it's always a gamble to see if they'll show up where they say they'll be, if indeed they say they're going to be anywhere at all. I'm pretty sure if you dismiss Khalid and Jaheira they'll simply vanish from the game and you'll never see them again. On top of that, Imoen's not really that complicated a character, especially in BG1. Imoen's dialog is almost algebraic equation even when Bioware's writing her, so I've got very little hope for fan dialog being any better.

Arguably, Minsc isn't a complicated character either, but I stand by my above comment that you'd need to be dead 3 days to fail at funny with him.

I think the BG1 NPC mod makes it so that any party member can be sent to a tavern or told to stay where they are. I remember something like that when I used it with BG1 Tutu a few years back.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I cannot get over the fact that Shar-Teel's romance uses the Icewind Dale theme, of all things.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

So... Rose (who joined us pretty early into the game) has a quest that you only get to finish in BG2? :stare:

I remember looking at the mod when Vorgen linked to it earlier, and it looks like it's a Big World Project only mod. So it's possible.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Definitely agree on finishing Rose's quest before ditching her.

As for votes, I guess I'll throw in three positive votes for Imoen because it doesn't feel right to kick her out of the party. One positive vote for Rose because I'm slightly curious about her quest. And last, one negative vote for Shar-Teel because Syvishtar doesn't put up with Slavers.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Bobfly posted:

Isn't the protagonist's eligibility for all the romances set at the very beginning at the game anyway?

I'm sure if people care that much Vorgen can Shadowkeeper the variables easily enough anyway.

As far as voting goes, I'll jump on the ditch Shar-Teel :bandwagon: as well.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Let's go south. It'll be nice to finish quests without someone dying for a change (Well, there will be a lower chance of dying at least), and if we went north we'd end up cheesing the game in order to live.

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 4, 2011

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I'm also gonna vote +1 to the current party. Well sort of. +1 to everyone in the current party except Bub Snikt, who gets no votes, and Imoen, who gets +2 instead.

(Because I'm still sticking with never kicking Imoen out of the party. :colbert:)

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Vorgen posted:

If you guys are curious, I've got some stats for my Let's Play folder. I've taken 1,612 screenshots so far. There are 49 real character portraits and 72 bit parts that I've cropped. There have been 29 updates. All of the images and scripts and music and the one video I have made myself add up to 829 megabytes. And we haven't even hit chapter 4 yet...

Way down the road, you should update us about this again by the time ToB rolls around. It's going to be a massive beast that has gained coherent thought by that point.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Huh, I never knew about that wild magic mod. Those spells are pretty interesting.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Slaan posted:

What monster level are those things anyways? Will you need to be around level 5 or 6 to take them on?

That sounds about right. With the levels Vorgen gained at the end of this update he might be able to beat them now, but it would be risky and probably not worth the potential (or rather, probable) death at this point.

It'll be refreshing once we get to BG2 though. You see Sword Spiders and Phase Spiders a few times in that game too and by that point we'll be at such a high level they won't really pose a problem.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I'll go with A, to avoid conflicts with Edwin. I don't particularly like Shar-Teel, but I'm not voting for her because I apparently don't share the passionate hatred some posters in this thread have for her.

Also your new avatar is very accurate, Vorgen.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

pokie posted:

Hey Vorgen, when you changed Xan to bladesinger did he have trouble equipping his sword? My Xan looses this ability upon conversion. Also, by Helm, modders put some tough poo poo into chapter 7 and all i got for it was a lousy full plate +3 :).

It's been a while so I may not be remembering correctly, but if nothing else works you can add the moonblade to one of his weapon slots in Shadow Keeper and it will work. I think you can do that, anyway. But it has been a while since I messed around like that in Shadowkeeper so this could be wrong.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Vorgen posted:

You are so quick to tempt me with hax!

To be fair, I would more or less count this under "bugs" and I don't think you should be punished for something you have no control over. So I say you get it back, too.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

pokie posted:

Jesus Christ. I just "discovered" the Tortured Souls segment of BG2 - that's where instead of Spellhold you end up on some island with Yoshimo and Kachiko, ridiculously overpowered loot, and terrible writing. I blame you, Vorgen! Then of course it bugs out and I can't start chapter 4 properly. Thankfully I made a save before allying with the shadow thieves. A few Ctrl+Ys and I will be back on track (no way I am fighting vampires again - one of them had a spell that would teleport the party next her to get slaughtered since she was immune to weapons).

My favorite part of that mod is that it changes Irenicus' dialogue in Spellhold completely changing said character's motives. That alone isn't all that bad, but what makes this hilarious is that the dialog itself is ripped off from this. (Arcanum spoilers, don't watch that video unless you played it or don't care about spoilers)

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Let's go for B, I guess. It seems easier than dealing with the bounty hunters and will give us exp that will prepare us for dealing with them. (And the main quest)

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
That's a lot of crashing. You think it's the BWP's fault? I vaguely remember hearing that it was buggy.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

You absolutely should play the games (nearly) vanilla for your first time. I'd recommend getting BG Trilogy or EasyTutu, since it just updates BG1 to use BG2's version of the engine without changing any of the content. Other than that, the G3 fixpack and maybe some of the convenience stuff in the G3 tweak-pack is perfectly fine.

Basically this. I'd mostly recommend using Tutu, since while BG Trilogy is nice and what the BWP uses (It automatically moves you into BG2 at the end of BG1. Tutu just ends, and you have to transfer your character manually like normal BG1) it also is a bit more buggy than Tutu.

There are a few changes to the balance due to the BG2 engine doing things different, though. Still, I'd recommend it. The changes aren't anything major anyway.

Edit: BG1 Tutu does have one bug that is pretty bad though, so make sure you get the fix for it if you do end up installing it.

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 15, 2011

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

pokie posted:

I have just played through most of BG2 with more or less the same mods as you and had nobody gibbed to death. I know that it's possible, but it hasn't happened once in the modded playthrough. The worst that ever happened was getting Gavin turned to stone and when I turned him back he wouldn't move. So I killed him and res-ed him with the rod.

I have to agree that your party seems indigent due to constant res-es, however. That loots from Dark Horizons mod's aassassins alone saw me through most of BG1.

What difficulty were you on? If you aren't on Core or above there's no permadeath IIRC. Not that it's frequent anyway, but that might be the reason.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
It also should be noted that wild mages weren't in the original Baldur's Gate and you started at a higher level in BG2. The higher level you get as a wild mage, the less likely wild surges will happen and if they do, they generally will be more favorable surges. As you'd expect they're easier to use at higher levels because of that.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Just think of how long it'll be before we get to Throne of Bhaal content!

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Vorgen posted:

By the way guys, here are all three sizes of my portrait that I'm using:

Heh, lined up all together like that it's almost like some infinite Syvishtara recursion. Don't want to know what sort of wild surge would lead to something like that.

Also, it's pretty amazing that we're a glowing gold woman and we haven't even got too far into BG1 yet.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Funky Britches posted:

-5 Shar-Teel

+ 5 Shar-Teel.

I don't even like Shar-Teel, and have voted against her in the past. But all the controversy she brings is hilarious.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Brainamp posted:

I'm just dumbfounded at how many party members are in that room that we can't use. Enough people to field a small army and they have to stay in an inn. Now I'm thinking of some Assassins' Creed apprentice-esque minigame where you send small parties to all corners of the globe for missions and poo poo. that would be cool.

Just think of what it will be like for BG2. With all the mod characters that game has, the Copper Coronet is going to be packed.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

I will agree to any solution if and only if it includes a vanguard. One man in all the Sword Coast who alone has the balls, the skills, and the personality to go up against all the endgame bosses at once, and heroically draw their fire so that Syvishtara may live.

There can be only one.

But with that guy's stats he would die in--oh.

Oh.

I guess I can get behind this, provided it doesn't take much to bribe him.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, I'm all for trying to kill him via stat/level drain near the end of BG1 like Vorgen suggested earlier. If we have access to those spells that is. And given all these mods we probably will. Hell, since he doesn't fight back you can just keep on trying Nahal's Reckless Dweomer until you get it right.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Tithin Melias posted:

Don't worry! you'll soon be at baldur's gate 2: shadows of saerilith :)

It's been suggested already, but I'm all for just gibbing Saerilith the second we meet her in BG2.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, sorry for not clarifying but she is pretty much a creepy pedo mod. There's only one reason it would be worth showing it off because it's kind of hilarious (If I remember what was said about her in Shugojin's BG2 LP, she literally falls over and dies instantly of a broken heart if you cheat on her) but the creepy stuff by far outweighs that.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I think even with an alignment converting spell, she has checks in her script stopping you from doing bad things. That's probably how it works, anyway.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Unless a mod changed things, thieves can only put one point in a proficiency.

She'll get -1 THAC0, better saves and a x4 backstab multiplier at level 9...

Vorgen is using a mod that changes that, yeah. At least, I'm pretty sure he is. I remember one of the earlier updates talking about it, I think.

E:f,b

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Vorgen posted:

See, this is what I was hoping for. Having skilled programmers dive down into the places where modders cannot go and make things better is worth good money. I am happy with this!

Yeah, when I heard about the Enhanced Edition the first thing that sprung to mind was fixing those bugs and slowdowns. Like the ridiculous amount of slowdown when you fight a Dragon with 3D acceleration on (This example is not as applicable to BG1, of course. Unless there's some mod where you fight one, which wouldn't really surprise me). So I'm perfectly fine with this.

vvvv We're going to have to fight like, 8 Dragons, aren't we? :(

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 5, 2012

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Hahaha, there really was a Beholder! :suicide:

Anyway, 1 I guess. Our business isn't finished here yet.

Edit:

Brainamp posted:

Anyway, Beholder! A bit early to be facing one and it makes me wonder is something worse might be on the island.

Since we have to come back here near the end of the game, I can only imagine really nasty poo poo waiting for us the second time around.

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 7, 2012

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

ETB posted:

Also, that bow is insane.

The hilarious thing is that we aren't even at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to overpowered equipment. For BG2, Westley Weimer mods immediately spring to mind in that regard. Of course he's far from the only perpetrator, but those mods stick out in my mind.

On a related note, question for Vorgen. Do you have Improved Irenicus from the Tactics mod installed? I normally would assume you would, but I don't know if that would conflict with one of the other eight billion Irenicus mods there are.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
+5 Shar-Teel and YES to the lower reputation change.

I've said it before, but I don't even like Shar-Teel or anything. However, the hilariously overwrought hatred of her is amazing enough for me to keep stoking that flame.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Let's make him a duelist and have him replace Kivan. I'd send Coran to the inn, but this has more votes and I wouldn't mind a little variety either.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Sejs Cube posted:

Clearly some modder thought they were being clever. Shame it didn't work out.

Well, it probably was supposed to be Irenicus, since the journal entry says this:

BG1 Journal posted:

When we charmed the huge bloated creature who called herself Centeol, we were told an interesting story. It seems she was cursed to her current shape by a powerful mage called Jon Icarus. We don't know what any of this has to do with the adventure we are on right now, but you never can know. Perhaps it will come useful in a sequel.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Cythereal posted:

So a bit of a continuity error on Bioware's part for one part, but for the other - Irenicus' love for Ellesime is a fairly important part of his backstory.

It's not like it is the only continuity error the series has. In Gorion's letter he says things about the protagonist's mother that is completely different from what we learn about her in ToB. Spoilered because I know a few people in the thread haven't played the BG games.

He says that his mother was a friend and one time lover of his, whereas in ToB it shows her as a priestess of Bhaal and it doesn't seem like Gorion knows her at all. I guess you could say he was just lying, though.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

:heysexy:

Hahaha holy poo poo, there's so much I can pick out of that but I can't stop focusing on the fact that someone wrote romantic dialogue with Noober of all people.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

red plastic cup posted:

3, Shadow Druid, Yes, D, Beta

If you decide to have Viconia wear the belt, this might work for a portrait pic.

Hahaha, okay I vote for this so we can use that portrait. Everything else seems fine too so my vote will be pretty much the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Vorgen has the item randomizer installed, doesn't he? Because that is probably part of the reason he's getting absurdly powerful weapons early.

• Locked thread