Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Keep Imoen. I think I'm one of the rare few who actually liked her. Plus, she's the hero's BFF since childhood, I think that warrants her a place in the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Jumping on the Dreadnought :bandwagon:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AJ_Impy posted:

stuff

*coughSPOILERScough*

Granted, it's for the first five minutes of BGII, but it still surprised a whole lot of people, myself included.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Raise Imoen. Khalid I have no particular beef with. Screw Eidolon, or whatever the hell his name was.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tax Refund posted:

Ha! I just realized who Jaheira and Khalid remind me of.

Have you ever been with a warrior woman?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

You've got to love the... disconnect between 'Imoen will never learn the dangers of magic' and 'I TURN YOU INTO A SLURPIE! AHAHAHAH!'

Also, good Christ, is Will's portrait ugly. Why couldn't they have used the original version of that floating about?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember trying to install an earlier version of the mod. Everything worked fine until I tried to install one extra custom class. That was the wafer thin mint that made the whole thing explode.

10 hours of effort gone in an instant.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Go find Minsc and you never let him go, you horrible monster. Same with Viconia.

As an aside, do the BG2 characters not show up until we enter that phase of gameplay?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So are those weapons 'supposed' to drop there, or did you just get obscenely lucky with the RNG?

Also, it's nice that everyone's talking about the game being utterly broken in half and all, but this early, you're still one lucky shot away from half the party being disembowelled, as Ben Stiller found out to his regret. When the party gets a few more levels and some decent armour behind them, yeah, we can discuss what to do with the new toys, but for now, I'd say keep them, since they'll need every edge they can get.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Vorgen posted:

Just be glad I'm not subjecting you all to the Imoen romance. She's your half-sister, you know, but that won't stop ~*TrUe LoVe*~.

I never finished the first game and jumped into the second on release without much thought. I remember wondering why, with all the much-touted romance options, they never allowed you to put the moves on Imoen, seeing as how she'd be an obvious choice. Needless to say, when I finally found out, I felt a little... silly for wondering.

I did hear there was one version of the Imoen romance mod that was actually very well-written. But for most people, that doesn't really matter when you're talking about banging your technical-sibling, Westermark effect be damned.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

jng2058 posted:

Take Imoen, Kivan, Kagain, Rose, and Finch.

Gonna go with this.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Yeah, when Minsc and Dynaheir show up, let them join and kick Mopey the Elf Boy to the kerb.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Vorgen posted:

I think this is why I like 2nd edition more than 3rd or 4th editions (and why I detest MMOs) - there is little to no consideration for "balance." Balance, to me, is freakin boring. What's the point of being a hero with a magical sword if both you and your enemies are carefully controlled to always be threats to each other? It doesn't leave any room for massively heroic actions like slaughtering enemies while surrounded or throwing the one lucky fireball that incinerates a room full of baddies. Give me second edition any day, where with the right gloves and the right sword you, as level one, can be a superhero... until you get killed. To me, Shar-Teel's brief but meteoric rise as a slayer of all comers was totally fine.

Funnily enough, I have the same problem when it comes to games with multiplayer, especially shooters: even in the single-player mode, weapons are balanced for multiplayer use. That should not be. Have them balanced for one mode, certainly, but otherwise, give me my sawn-off killing stick of gibbing pls.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Vorgen posted:

You know I've got to say that I really like how the capabilities of each character, the equipment we have available, and the personalities that are starting to come through are all factoring in to making you guys like or dislike characters. It's just like real life! Kivan is a plink plink murder machine, but people have become repulsed by his Shilmista lines. At first everybody was for ditching Shar-Teel ASAP, but now that we've got this awesome 2-handed sword for her to use she's back on the bench. It's cool, is all I'm sayin.

When it comes to games in general, I don't like using a character I don't actually like. I don't care how gamebreaking they are, if I don't like them, they're warming the bench.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

King Doom posted:

I don't remember if I said this before, but this. I much prefer story/screenshot LP's for games like this, and I'd love to know why the goonmind decided it hates them.

Probably because there was a long stretch where they stopped being fun LPs and started being self-insert fanfics. It's also a fairly large contributor to the reason why we can't have Pokemon LPs anymore.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

+3 Finch, +2 Imoen

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Cythereal posted:

Anything from Chosen of Mystra (including Saerileth, Tsujatha, and Yasraena, all by the same authors)

Not NPCs but much potential for "hilarity":

Keldorn Romance
Imoen Romance (formerly Lord Mirrabo's, specifically)
Romantic Encounters

When I think about party romances, I'm reminded of what Chris Avellone said not long after Knights of the Old Republic II, where he mentioned he had a hard time writing any romance that didn't end in one or both of the characters leaving or dying horribly.

After seeing what passes for 'quality' in these mods, I'm inclined to agree. And to wish more writers would follow his example.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

vilkacis posted:

Also, insert standard :rolleyes: modders :argh: at adding that poo poo to a store that already had some of the best gear in the original BG1.

That always bothers me. Why not add some variation so that other shops are worth looking at? That's what I like about Neverwinter Nights 2: even the shops in the first few areas have worthwhile gear. Though, ironically, most of the mods I've seen for that are of the 'super-powerful weapon for 5g in the first shop' kind.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

vilkacis posted:

I doubt Anvil is included, at least; far as I know, it's considered incompatible with basically everything else (mostly because the guy who made it is totally insane). Other tactical mods, though...

Unless we get some gender-bending wild surges, we'll probably be spared the majority of the romances, including Sarevok's. Kind of a pity, really - I'd love to see the thread's reaction to Tsujatha (or whatever the gently caress his name is). :shepicide:

The Sarevok romance isn't M/M? Colour me surprised.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

PotatoManJack posted:

That's cool, and honestly, I don't think anyone is here for the sex appeal. The hilarious(ly bad) romance is still important, as we all want to laugh at it, as is the killing stuff and getting stronger (everyone loves a prolonged training montage).

That being said, LPs of God of War, The Void, and a couple others I forget the name of all had nudity in them (albeit quite tame stuff), so I don't thin Slowbeef would think anything of a message to double check if it's cool to include it here.

There's a difference between a pair of bouncing titties and some suggestive off-screen moaning and the kind of stuff that'd require an ID check to view. The GoW LPs had a NSFW tag and that was fine and dandy, and the nudity in The Void was more artistic than titillation (though it still had a warning just to be safe).

If you're going to do the more risqué romances though, summarise the bad parts. Preferably using as many awkward euphemisms as possible.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

1A

2B

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Conot posted:

:ssh: Because I'm currently on a laptop too lovely to run it.

e: By the way, how do you choose kits in BG1, and for that matter, be a wild mage? I tried looking through specialized mage, but there were only the schools, no Wild Mageish stuff, is that a BiG World Project thing?

Kits were only introduced in BG2, and were fairly limited. Pretty much every megamod for BG1&2 adds them retroactively, so if you want to dick about with powers beyond human imagining, that's the only way to do it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Brainamp posted:

Technically everything is interspecies for a god

Technically, for a god who is so far above it all :smug: as most gods are, everything is bestiality.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Jazzimus Prime posted:

So am I the only one who found the idea of a three foot tall female gnomish glasses-wearing librarian wielding a six foot long greatsword to be absolutely hilarious?

In the second game, I always wind up giving Aerie the Crom Frayr, so no, not by a long shot.

Finch's character portrait keeps reminding me of Fred from Angel though. Probably explains why I like her.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Cooked Auto posted:

You should redo it to something like this.

I'm going to second creating the occasional 'story so far' update every so often, if only so folks can remind themselves of what the hell we're doing at any given moment.

Fetching artwork preferred, but not mandatory.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Am I the only one who winces every time they see the 'Your Formidable mate Shar-Teel' screen?

Hopefully this means folks will stop dropping dead with every encounter more menacing than a kobold, though. At least for a while.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A, if only so we don't have to endure any more of her 'romance'. Or at least that loving screen that signifies one coming up.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A, A, a thousand times because I swear you're just throwing that screen in all the time to gently caress with us now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Slaan posted:

What is wrong with you people?

Don't worry, we'll vote her out sooner or later. :smithicide::hf::smithicide:

Maybe we'll get lucky and she'll get brutally slaughtered in the next update...

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Orange Devil posted:

Are we roleplaying Shar-Teels flirting now?

"Where I come from, this is how we signal our willingness to mate."

*spinal fracture*

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I can't find any decent clips on Youtube, but does anyone remember the genetically engineered savants from a couple of episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space 9? The lead one, Jack? Yeah, that's Edwin.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Bo-Pepper posted:

I knew you were fending off the inevitable having that house cat wade into battle over and over again. Didn't you permanently lose a point in Constitution? WAS IT ALL WORTH IT

Our DM in our Friday night D&D sessions had a cute little kitty die in the middle of combat. His girlfriend (one of the players) was not best pleased. Violently so.

If you value any part of your anatomy, it's never worth it :colbert:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Brainamp posted:

I think it means that you've possibly found a way to break the game.

You could explore the ramifications of this in a dream or something like that, if you want to.

A final gift from your familiar: though its parting left a great void in you, what it left you with will aid and protect you in ways you never thought possible.

Spot the guy who still misses his old cat

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Might be an idea to edit that and all the other 'how the gently caress do I get this running' stuff into one of the first couple of posts. It'll help others a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Brainamp posted:

As an old 2nd edition player I just have to say, gently caress THAC0!

I remember one or two people in my RP group wanted to try 2nd, despite the protestations of myself and the DM. But he was fair, and gave us a quick out-the-box adventure with pre-rolled characters.

About 20 minutes into our first fight, everyone else agreed that, yes, this really was a bad idea, and could we just spend the rest of the night playing Munchkin?

• Locked thread