Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Just wanted to chime in and say "Great LP so far". I've gotten Tutu installed in my copy of BG1 and BG2, with some extra mods, but no extra NPCs or any of this Big World nonsense.

Sometimes, you just have to pick up the gold and leave the chaff in the dank corners of the modding sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

The current party is great as it is, perhaps with the exception of Bub Snikt, but I can't fault him for his effectiveness.

+1 to all current party members.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

A. You've made a promise to Gavin, dammit, and by god you are going to uphold it.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Vorgen posted:

Imoen comes back with some loot. She shows off her newest weapon, a Ninja-to +2.

I wonder who wielded that? Minsc shrugs, saying he doesn't remember. She also shows off some gloves.
So let me get this straight. A basic +2 ninja-to, a weapon with no backstory or any sort of special name to justify its abilities, earns +15% Hide in Shadows and Non-Detectability just because it's a weapon used by ninjas in not-Japan? Hey, BG modders. "Katanas are just better" is not a valid argument to overpower exotic "eastern" weaponry.

That said, I do enjoy the BG1 NPC project's dialogues! I know the romances can be horrible, but the banters and chit-chats with party members are actually quite decent. I think it's important to note the romance writers and banter writers are rarely one and the same...

E: VVV What...? You're telling me they made Celestial Fury even MORE overpowered? And that high damage... that's just... what, did they call the swords "Masamune" or some poo poo?

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 25, 2011

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Don't install the Hard Times mod. It takes the whole "the region is in crisis, so we better make it reflect that" a bit too strongly.

Also Vorgen, just chipping in again to say you've got me playing BG1 to BG2 in ironman mode due to this LP again. Going Sorcerer, canon party, nobody's died yet all the way up to Chapter 5!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

pokie posted:

Vorgen, you can try the wizard merchant in the Freidnly Arm Inn behind the temple. If you have him. I know I haven't installed any mods beyond those in the Tactics package.

Olive Branch That makes sense. Are there any other mods I should try avoid installing or options I should change? Also, you are very lucky to avoid those level 1 deaths. I had my 14hp fighter killed by animals on the map right after Candlekeep may be 6 times in a row.
I got Sling proficiencies, Imoen slamming lots of arrows into those freaking wolves, and kited like the plague. After I got Khalid and Jaheira to be in melee and tanking, my Sorcerer was much, much safer. Except for Vampiric Wolves. Screw them. Nearly tore Khalid's head off, they did.

I installed Sword Coast Stratagems (and I highly recommend it too), but I wasn't so brave as to install the tactical challenge upgrades. Some of the fights are tough enough as it is! SCS is mainly for the AI intelligence upgrade, such as mages and clerics being smarter with spell casting, and the "better calls for help" actually making sense.

Other mods... hmm, I installed Rogue Rebalancing from aTweaks mostly to make pickpocketing worth doing, especially on an ironman run. I mean jeez guys, just because I flubbed my hand into your coin purse doesn't mean the entire loving city should immediately go hostile on me. The BG1 NPC Project and its musical counterpart was also installed mostly for flavor text and immersion. It's not god-awful, and I didn't add Shar-Teel to my party so none of that romance for me! BG2 Tweaks was installed for adding small things like Bags of Holding and NPC kicking management. Lastly, one I got mostly to improve the druidic Goodberry spell, D0Tweaks was a nice little addition.

I installed a few quest mods, these being Unfinished Business, Lure of the Sirine's Call, and the minor quests pack. We already saw a few of the minor quests pack in this LP, such as that guy turning into a slime due to a bad potion, and the family quarrel over the pearl necklace in Beregost. No fanmade NPCs were installed, mostly because I have difficulty enough as it is playing through all Bioware ones.

That's pretty much it!

EDIT: Interesting detail about the Hard Times mod. Apparently, as you complete chapters and solve problems, the stores in the game are updated to reflect normalcy returning to the region, thus lowering prices globally. However, since the stores are literally swapped to show different item prices, anything you sold before the store changes vanishes and can never be recovered.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 2, 2011

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

A bow that does 6d4+6 damage per shot fired, and the bow shoots 5 of these super magic missiles, requires no ammunition, and isn't stopped by magic resistance or saves.

I can only wonder WHY someone would do this.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Pretty sure that's in the vanilla game to some extent. Check your information sheet for your bonuses to AC for different types of damage with different armours on.
It actually is in the game! Turn on to-hit rolls and fire off an arrow at a leather armor-wearing Hobgoblin. You get a +2 to your to-hit because of that armor he's wearing.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Private Speech posted:

I just want to say that all that overpowered stuff pokie encounters is from the darkest horizons mod. I have no idea why it is included in the big world, it's not like literally everything is. (Only about half the mods as far as I can say.)
Big World Project is the TV Tropes of Baldur's Gate mods. There is no such thing as notability. It includes a lot of mods that shouldn't be in there.

I hate TV Tropes, incidentally.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah I don't get anything on the world map at all. I can deal with in town markers, but if someone knows the name of the mod to fix one (or both!) of those problems, that is would be awesome.
I think the mod you're looking for is BG2 Tweaks. Despite the name, it actually has components that are Tutu-only. Namely, things like adding permanent map markers, and completely revealing all town maps.

However, as for a mod that lists the name of world map zones... that I don't know.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

4. Inter-party bickering and strife? That hasn't been working against us at all, no sir! And this certainly won't cause issues now!

(Besides this delays the inevitable battle the three will have, and why not make a movie of it when one of them finally snaps on, say, the Cloakwood Forest?)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

:ghost: The Weave has spoken, Syvishtar. It did not want you to fall to Edwin's side, and when probed to attack the noble Minsc, it instead disciplined you in the worst possible way.

Also goddamn, Minsc. That is one seriously destructive sword.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 12, 2011

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

:ghost: Syvishtar, you did not rescue Dynaheir with the murderous Edwin in your party to just leave them to feast in the Jovial Juggler. They must travel together and suffer.

+1 Imoen - Your friend is as good a guide as we are, Syvishtar!
+1 Edwin - The Red Wizard may be annoying, but he has potential...
+1 Dynaheir - The sorceress and the Red Wizard will butt heads. They WILL.
+1 Viconia - The Drow has much power in her, especially of the curative sort.
+1 Minsc - Syvishtar, the man has a hamster. You have us. He is a kindred spirit, and has a mean sword arm to boot.

In other words, keep the current party.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Vorgen posted:

Guys, guys, guys! Hey guys! You know what a Planetar does first thing after you summon it? It CASTS WISH. If you're not familiar with that spell, its a spell that summons a genie that gives you a number of wishes based on dialogue selection. And Planetars have high wisdom, so they GET WHAT THEY WANT EVERY TIME. How loving awesome is that? A summoned minion that auto-summons a genie for you as its first tactical action! Angels do not gently caress around in this game.
I heard the Genies' Union was taking action against the celestials for abusing their wishes. Why just last week a Planetar asked an Efreet to reheat her sword.

But serious hint here: if you pause the game as soon as the genie appears and order a party member with high wisdom (say... a cleric) to talk to the genie first, the party member gets to solicit the wish instead of the caster.

I have no idea if this blatant cheesing was fixed in SCS or any modder patch, though.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

9goats dead posted:

-5 Jaheria

She's insufferable.
: Jaheira, must you be so... so-so so...

: Insufferable?

: Y-Yes, that's exactly it!

This is an honest-to-god, vanilla BG1 conversation between husband and wife. :allears:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

E. Some were saying Xzar has a quest here. My response? Humanoid. Slime. Creature.

C. We ran into spiders. Sure Viconia worships Shar, but many Drow worship Lolth, the Spider Queen. Kick out the Drow! :sharpton:

Let's see those awful mods at work, gentlemen and gentlewomen!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 21, 2011

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Yes to all three NPCs.

(Changed my vote from Viconia to Xzar because while I never used Viconia in my own playthroughs I didn't use Xzar, either.)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Karatehamster posted:

That is some major dedication right here.

Looking forward to the update.
Only the best from goons. I haven't been keeping track of votes but I hope that we get some :stonk:-level screens from "alternate paths", like from a certain strongly graceful, but little pleasant man-hater.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

ETB posted:

Clearly not everyone, since the thread just received a gold rating. BAM!

I'm playing through unmodded BG1 right now, and I had forgotten how evil the game is at low levels.
Second edition D&D always was a horrible, evil thing to play early on. Oh, you're a mage and just got hit with an arrow? You're dead! Did you level up from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3? Congratulations, your survivability has literally doubled!

I think Baldur's Gate 2 got a very, very important thing right: it allowed you to start at a medium level with more hit points, thus more "breathing room" in a fight and to allow experimentation. I understand it's part of a series, but having more HP as a cushion makes the game more fun.

(Also voted 5 and went hog wild. I managed to finish my ironman run... but I did get petrified that one time in Durlag's Tower. Despite petrification not being a "real" death, I still feel like I cheated. It was just the one time, though.)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

1. D - The anime look is surprisingly not godawful to look at.

2. A - Minsc: he hits like a freight train, but if he's going to slaughter our own party members he has to go into time out!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Nanja Monja posted:

We have to put Kivan and Xan in a party together. It'll be like a black hole of elven depression.
The only thing that can pull them out is the adventurous spirit of Coran, who--

Oh, wait, there's that lady in Baldur's Gate with a quest related to him. And Amelia in the Firewine Bridge.

Nevermind.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

If you have anyone with invisibility, sanctuary or hide in shadows alive, sneak past the mob and ferry out the gear, using inventory teleport to get it out of enemy LOS.
If you do this, remember that directly left-clicking on the items will make you visible when you "interact" with them. Instead, right-click on top of the items to move there, and then pick them up off the ground tiles from the inventory screen. :)

Also, orcs hosed you over at level 4? I mean, you were dealing with ogres like it was no thing, orcs shouldn't be half this bad.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

sebzilla posted:

One mod takes some of the assassin groups that are normally in out-of-the-way areas like Gullykin and dumps them on you randomly in other maps. Not sure where these guys are originally from in particular, but obviously they've been souped up a bit as well.

Oh, and B.
It's an SCS component. Be careful, as the "amazon ladies" from the Valley of the Tombs area are also affected by this mod, and who knows where you'll find that dangerous, magical dart-yielding lot?

B for me as well, get some revenge on those doity oiks!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Man, you didn't fight the Amnian berserker party for good loot? I'm guessing you tried and failed a few times. They're a pretty tough bunch.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I warned you about those Amazon sisters, bro. I told you, dog.

Jeez, at level 1-3 they just wiped the floor with you. Those magical darts of theirs are brutal.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

I presume the goodberries wouldn't have helped?
You can only consume one item per round, and Gavin's Goodberries currently heal for 2 HP apiece. A giant spider's poison damages like 5 HP per round. Khalid was in a race against his own constitution, and he lost. :(

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Vorgen posted:

She will still join us, she just won't abuse us and call us names anymore because she's no longer interested in us, since our rep is too high.

Blob dude is hanging out at the Jovial Juggler, but he just wasn't part of the latest party vote. Next party vote he will be there, though. I think I should stop and have a new party vote here pretty soon. Maybe after I clear out Larswood and the Peldvale? I was going to do it after I found Officer Brage, cleared out the Valley of the Tombs, and brought back a skull for Melicamp. But doing all that has turned out to be incredibly hard because of the orcs and mercs that spawned on top of us. So I think we should stick to killing bandits and then go back to the Jovial Juggler for a new party vote. Then if we've got a strong enough party we can go back south. Or, we can even fight our way back to the Song of the Morning Temple and talk to that mage standing there, Pelltar. He will ask us for help in his town and teleport us to Restenford, and we can have a totally traditional DnD adventure module experience entirely unrelated to anything else.
I think by the time you reach Gorion's murderer a whole two years will have passed. War with Amn goes slowly!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Vorgen posted:

I forgot to close the last italics so it was messed up. Thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe I should stop by Officer Vai before clearing out the bandit camp, just in case?
Don't worry: bandits still spawn as regular enemies wherever they would normally appear, and you can farm their wonderful little scalps as long as you wish to do so. Whenever you want to talk to Vai, just sell all but one scalp and she'll stick around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

:ghost: Syvishtara, your path is clear. You must resume the journey with your old friend and love interest. Do not take that creepy slime thing if you can help it.

+3 Imoen: You mentioned "Imoen's Ninja-To". I think someone has to give that back to its rightful thief!
+1 Branwen: Complete this romance!
-1 Mur'Neth: Who cares about paralytic slimes?

• Locked thread