Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Longinus00 posted:

D&D isn't balanced very well. At higher levels you have so many more tools (and HP) compared to level 1.

Fixed.

Also, can I just say I really like Finch? She was the first NPC mod I picked up for BG and became the measuring stick that I compared all other NPC mods to, most of which fell short; either they had stupid banter (Godgirl in BG2), the responses you could give were completely out of line with Black Isle's writing style and thus destroyed any semblance of maintaining a consistent character (any of the Romance mods, really), or they gutted poo poo all over a likable character (Kivan!).

Nevermind that Gnomes are one of my favorite races to roleplay (nerd alert!), and that most media attention they get have them be batshit insane (Tiax! ALL BOW BEFORE TIAX!) or annoying as poo poo (Did I ever tell you about my uncle the turnip peddler? *ten minutes of voice acting later* ...and now he can't go to Baldur's Gate anymore.) or boring as poo poo (Quayle!). Finch is a well-done Gnome in general that stays away from the annoying stereotypes that's placed gnomes barely just one step above Kender in most people's opinions.

...Okay that turned out way longer than I meant for it to. tl;dr version: Finch is an awesome NPC.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

You take that back, Jan Jansen is great.

He's great for about one hour in a playthrough. After that he's just annoying. Mechanically, he's an okay Thief/Illusionist, but drat does he grate on the nerves after a while.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Next you'll be telling me Cespenar isn't awesome.

No, I liked Cespenar. He was the perfect boot-licker, knowledgeable, and capable of carrying out both simple and complex tasks - everything a rising God of Murder needs in his first lackey.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
A, for reasons expressed by others. She's not a very formidable mate.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Watching reactions to these mods makes me very happy I never finished my Vampire NPC mod back when I was fifteen. I was going to completely rip off the Valen scripting for a bare-handed beatstick and even give it a romance component.

Looking back on the dialogue I had in mind, it would have fit in perfectly with the rest of these mods, though.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

The third and final romance option for guys in BG1 is also coming up. Dynaheir.

I have just one question:

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Vorgen posted:

B: Put him in Shar-Teel's spot. Need more pleasantness, if not strength or grace.

Boy, are we barking up the wrong tree for pleasantness.

Gonna say A, because everyone uses Minsc. Just finished BG1 with the BWP installed (only to uninstall and reinstall because I didn't have the mods I really wanted), and while the new Minsc comments on lots of events are amusing, not worth seeing him in yet another BG playthrough.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
I've been playing around with the BiG World Project a bit. Amusingly, Shar-Teel's kit, Sellsword, has a minimum Con requirement of 17. Shar-Teel is officially the worst Sellsword ever.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

So we're killing off potential future party members now? Is that what we're doing? You guys disgust me.

Dynaheir is a bad mage (in comparison to Edwin the Almighty) and has a romance we can't see with this PC. Killing her off would be for the good of everyone.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Olive Branch posted:

So let me get this straight. A basic +2 ninja-to, a weapon with no backstory or any sort of special name to justify its abilities, earns +15% Hide in Shadows and Non-Detectability just because it's a weapon used by ninjas in not-Japan? Hey, BG modders. "Katanas are just better" is not a valid argument to overpower exotic "eastern" weaponry.

Just wait until the Celestial Fury +5 upgrade and 4d10 damage katanas. If those mods made it into the BiG World Project, that is... they're out there, they probably wound up included.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a way that someone could rehost the Widescreen mod? G3 seems to be down for me.

I hope Megaupload is good enough.
Widescreen Mod

And to those curious, I risked destroying the BiG World install to find out: Installing this on top of it breaks nothing if you didn't install it with the mod. :)

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 26, 2011

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Tax Refund posted:

Not removed, the link just had an extraneous quote character at the end. Delete that and you're golden.

Oops, fixed.

I actually don't like the way the widescreen mod looks when scaled to the full extent of my video card (1920x1080) - the UI looks funky and the characters look strangely vertically stretched. I just upscaled it to 1152x864 and it looks really good, though.

And if anyone needs any of the other mods, I hunted down the vast majority of them and/or had them downloaded. If some of the links have gone dead, let me know and I'll see if I have it.

EDIT:

Xvimic posted:

This LP got me in a mood to play through again and I'm trying like mad to find the BG2 fixpack (v9.01??) needed for the latest installation of BWP.
I have the fixpack, here it is.
BG2 Fixpack v9

I'm compressing the entire 3.75gb of downloads into 1.5GB or so and will be uploading that as a .rar soon.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 26, 2011

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Xvimic posted:

Thanks a lot for the upload, I wonder what the story is with G3 anyways..

Looks like the domain just lapsed on payment. Either that or everyone downloading BiG World Project shoved it over its bandwidth limit.

A quick WHOIS shows the following, however:

quote:

Domain Name: GIBBERLINGS3.NET
Registrar: TUCOWS.COM CO.
Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
Referral URL: http://domainhelp.opensrs.net
Name Server: NS1.DOT5HOSTING.COM
Name Server: NS2.DOT5HOSTING.COM
Updated Date: 07-may-2011
Creation Date: 04-may-2004
Expiration Date: 04-may-2012

So most likely, lapsed payment on domain name.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Vorgen posted:

But its October 2011 ...

:ughh: That's what I get for only glancing at stuff. It's okay guys, I'm an admitted blind retarded idiot at times.

Though, if I remember correctly, expiration date just means the domain name itself gets released from the IP address or something.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
They changed Dynaheir to a Sorcerer? Okay, now that's a change I dig. My install didn't do that, though... maybe I should go do that.

Anyways, PIT FIGHT! The glories of spontaneous spellcasting will win out over book-learnin' mages!

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
-3 Shar-Teel, +1 Imoen, +1 Branwen.

Because Branwen's romance is silly as hell and the mental image of Syvishtar being bear-crushed by the warrior woman amuses me. And our reputation is almost there!

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Man, this is still going strong by the looks of it. I gotta catch back up. Nice to see you're still pushing this LP forward, Vorgen. :D (I stopped somewhere just before the sex change wild surge)

I just got this reinstalled after around 36 hours of tinkering around with the new BiG World Setup and... I got NEJ to work! Maybe once Vorgen hits BG2 I could show it off a bit (since, IIRC, he didn't get anything but the kits to install). That's still a good, long way away, though...

Now to get caught back up reading.

And yes, modder quality has a huge gap between, typically, three points: "crap", "okay", and "NICE!". It was in a new decade, new century, and new millenia, and everyone was full of hope that they could do things that didn't suck.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Vorgen posted:

That's good news! Getting NEJ to work would be a strong argument for doing a reinstall once I get to the end of Baldur's Gate and get ready for Shadows of Amn.

The major problem is, in a Tactics installation, it has /so/ /many/ conflicts. The only way I got it to actually install was to right-click and use "Remove all conflicts (solve all problems)" a few times, until I was satisfied with what I saw. It may wind up just breaking your game in half between BG1 and BG2 if what was removed to install it was a dependency in BG1, but I suppose with a reinstall that's sort of a moot point.

Also, it looks like NEJ and BG2 are mutually exclusive (I don't see any way back to the BG2 storyline while playing NEJ).

EDIT: I should note, however, that it installed alongside the rest of the megamods: Big Picture, The Darkest Day, Shadows Over Soubar, and Check the Bodies.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 14, 2012

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Kanfy posted:

That +5 shield is indeed pretty silly, I have Branwen sitting at -10 and Faldorn at -15 AC at the moment. Not sure I ever got there even in Throne of Bhaal...

:science: Fun fact: IIRC, unmodded BG2 had an AC cap of -15, and was, in my experience, only reachable with an Elven Fighter with 19 Dexterity, the best Full Plate and the best Tower Shield. And it wasn't enough! One of the mods, I'm not sure which, changed the cap. Look forward to obscene AC values upon reaching Throne of Bhaal with BWP installed!

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

Also, I love the honorable mention for Samuel. Slain by neglect :allears:

He's got the most unique death out of everyone.

Samuel raised his head, his vision blurry, alone in a pocket dimension that sent tingles across his flesh from its magically-created nature. It would have been pleasant, were it not for the fire in his belly and the rapidly dwindling sense of his life draining away. Each movement cost him a little more energy, a little more agony, destroying his will to live.

"H...hello?" Samuel didn't recognize his own voice; it had gone hoarse from lack of hydration, and the sound of it echoing back at him made him start. He looked around quickly before realizing who it was who had spoken; he would have laughed, had he not been on the verge of death.

The dying man fell onto his back, thinking back on the day he had been enticed to leave the Fist. He had thrown away security and income for love of a woman, and she had thrown him to the first people to come along after he had been injured. It stung his heart to think that his love had been so callously turned away, his fate placed in the hands of the indifferent and uncaring. Love had led him down this path; he regretted the decision, but ultimately, he had made it, and now he was paying the price. Such was life.

A shimmering light flickered at the edge of his vision. His sight was beginning to darken, the small cavern around him going dim, but the light maintained its intensity. With supreme effort, he turned his head towards the light, felt his final breath escaping him. A glowing eye greeted him, hovering in the air. As his spirit departed his body, it felt drawn towards the eye. His life was over, but his service continued. The last motion of his body was to draw a contented smile over his face and close his eyes. He surrendered himself to Helm's Watchful Gaze as the sounds of the wardstone's activation echoed through the sanctuary.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 16, 2012

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Yes, and there's a generous 2 day timer on it too. It's a quest that only fails if you just forget about him and go to another one.

Don't know if I'd call it 'generous' seeing as it's around 24-36 hour travel time from where you find him to return to the Friendly Arm Inn.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Nobody's going see Baldur's Gate at this rate if you keep getting yourself probated. :colbert:

Well, at least while he's probated he can start work on playing another section...

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

If Vorgen doesn't mind, I Kelemvor and Jergal may have awards to hand out based on the Roll of the Dead at the end of BG1, BG2, ToB, and the series as a whole.

A visit to the Fugue Plane to await their deity's pleasure and their eternal reward or to be absorbed into the Wall of the Faithless is the only award anyone needs. :colbert:

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Sejs Cube posted:

In the Forgotten Realms, your reward for a lifetime of devotion is to enjoy the spiritual equivalent of progressive Alzheimer's before dying a second time and becoming the divine equivalent of Play-Doh.

And if you don't play along? You get to suffer in the Wall.
I was just about to do a write-up about it, too.

And this is my biggest issue with Forgotten Realms as a whole. Their afterlife is /depressing as hell/. Every time I'm forced to play in a FR-centric campaign I make a character whose entire goal in life is to avoid the Gray Waste. Just gently caress. that. noise.

Even so, these people are helping out Syvishtar(a) towards a certain goal. It's all the fate they deserve.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Garbageman posted:

That is terrifically depressing. Is it much different in the other D&D worlds? I have to imagine it's even more depressing in other ones, considering FR is somewhat more high fantasy than a Dark Sun or Ravenloft or whatever.

Each pantheon has different afterlives. Krynn, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Eberron, Greyhawk. Only Ravenloft rivals Forgotten Realms for depressing - your soul is lost into the mists separating the domains of the Demiplane of Dread, and you wander amongst horrors and evil until either:

A new domain forms and you're returned to a physical shell to be subject to the horrors upon your newly mortal flesh.

or

You're consumed by the mists and swallowed whole.

or

You escape and return to your proper cosmology's afterlife.

Nothing :wtf: as the Wall of the Faithless, though.

JT Jag posted:

Do the Seven Hells exist in the Forgotten Realms? I kinda think that fighting dudes for all eternity in the Blood Wars is a more interesting afterlife than either of those options.

The Seven Hells are replaced by the Infinite Layers of the Abyss. You don't go there unless you're either: Foolish enough to Plane Shift there, foolish enough to sign a Faustian compact, or your soul is stolen from the Fugue Plane. And if it's either of the latter two, welcome to servitude and torture for eternity, because there's no escape. If it's the former, what the hell are you doing? I hope your Cleric or Mage prepared two copies of the spell.

vvvv Oops. Yes, the Seven Hells still exist as Baator, or The Nine Hells - at least in FR 3rd Edition. Forgot about the LE/CE split.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 17, 2012

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Don't know if I'd call it 'amazing', but it does have one of the best graphic and audio representations of the Wall and the various stages of absorption. Just like becoming Deific Play-Doh, the Wall eventually consumes your soul and you just become a thoughtless voice lost in the agonized wailing screaming for a life you no longer remember.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Eberron's afterlife is worse than the Realms', honestly. When you die, your soul goes to Dolurrh, the evil plane of death and oblivion filled with undead. And your soul wastes away to nothing. That's it. That's the sum total of the afterlife in Eberron, barring alternative options like undeath.

I would submit that Forgotten Realms is worse simply because in Eberron, the Gods are a giant question mark, as stated before. In Faerun, they're real and have serious impact on people's lives - and people devote themselves to the deities for their entire life, only to have that devotion rewarded with becoming a Red Bull for your God.

Benjifer posted:

The Knights are actually from Dragonlance. Knights of Solamnia are Krynn's version of Paladins.

Good to know about Cannibalings though, I always assumed they were a demonic version of a normal race, much like Tannarukks, Tieflings and so on.

I loved the Dragonlance reference. It got so little love then, and gets so little now. And yes, the Cannibalistic halflings are an entire tribe worth of halflings in Dark Sun. They're kinda scary. But then again, it's Dark Sun - everything wants to kill you, including yourself if you're a mage.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
E. I'm mostly against changing NPCs to things that don't match what they are.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Weidu Log

Looks like you got everything from One Pixel Productions in there. No wonder the game's looking classier. :allears:

Vorgen posted:

~ITEM_REV/ITEM_REV.TP2~ #0 #8 // Heavy Armor Encumbrance -> Dexterity Penalties in Heavy Armor: v2 (Hotfix 20100919)

How I hate this mod. BG and BGII are minmax enough that you don't need additional penalties dragging down your tanks.

Vorgen posted:

~ITEM_REV/ITEM_REV.TP2~ #0 #3 // Spellcasting in Armor -> Allow Spellcasting in Armor with Casting Speed Penalties for Arcane Casters: v2 (Hotfix 20100919)

And this one seems to screw with Cleric/Mages, Fighter/Mages, F/M/Ts and F/M/Cs and stuff that deliberately is made to allow spellcasting in armor, penalizing them further.

I'll stop commenting on the installed mods now. Those two just stick in my craw a bit, so I always skip them.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 18, 2012

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Tzarnal posted:

Its an arcane spellcasting only thing.

Well, yes. But there were armors meant to be used by multiclass X/Mages without penalties and those armors seem to inflict the spellcasting penalty too. Then again, I might have installed it wrongly the last time I tried it out.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Thaddius the Large posted:

If you're going to add in something like this, what's the point of playing? Just console kill everything you encounter and be done with it. Unless the modded endgame actually requires this sort of thing?

Think Demogorgon if his HP was doubled and he had his Aura Cleansed every time he cast an infinite supply of 9th level spells. Modded Endgame ToB is /ridiculous/, and that's all I'll say about it til Vorgen gets there in 2015.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I'm glad that "all the party's gold is destroyed" is a sub-20 roll. We'll be able to do away with that one permanently before ToB.

Along with any need for gold, save for resurrections, somewhere about 1/6th of the way through SoA.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Mod author avatar, I think you mean. I'm fairly certain I'm the only one in this thread who has directly contributed a mod, even if only as a proofreader and code-checker.

Not... entirely. But I'm too ashamed of which one I aided in, so I'm not going to name it.

Also voting for ADVENTUREr!

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Vorgen posted:

I know there's a mod that makes Sarevok untouchable until his minions are killed. That's harder all on its own.

And you have it installed. It's the one titled "Harder Sarevok Fight" or something similar.

EDIT: Here it is

Vorgen posted:

~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #6200 // Improved final battle: v17

kingturnip posted:

Sarevok's crew are probably immune to it, given the bullshit we've seen so far.

Not quite, but they have a number of immunities in the overhaul to things that used to make the fight easier - namely, Slow.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
TIAX RULES ALL! He will step on your shoulders to propel himself to greatness! He is destined to Lord over all you worthless plebes!

Not to mention the spoilered character has an ability that is, by this point, close to useless, but is wonderfully overpowered for the vast majority of BG1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Monk, Beguiler, Keep the rep

I'm almost sad to see Shar-Teel go but on the other hand we found a much more formidable mate in the bear.

All grace, with much more pleasantness.

• Locked thread