Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Keep Imoen. You can never have too many ranged fighters in Baldur's Gate, as I recall. And ditch Xzar, he's useless and annoying. (Though he could be useful as a temporary meatshield until you meet up with Khalid and Jaheira; you can ditch him after that... if he survives that long).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Unless its a browser-specific thing. Let me know how that looks for you.

Pretty sure it's browser-specific, or maybe operating-system-specific. I'm using Firefox 6.0 on Linux, and those two look identical on my system.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Gameplay note: Before I used the stone, Syvishtar's XP was 370, Imoen's was 196, and Xzar's was 235. After using the stone, my XP dropped to 366, Imoen's to 194, and Xzar's to 232. It seems like the XP cost is just the amount that you get after killing 1 or 2 monsters. Not too bad. I wonder if it will go up over time? I'll have to keep my eye on that.

Looks to me like it's 1% of total XP, rounded up. We'll see in future updates if I'm right about that formula.

Vorgen posted:

One never knows. Why just the other day, I espied what I took for a specimen of true happimess. Alas! It fled before I could make certain of it.

Bet that happens to you a lot.

See, this is why keeping Imoen was the right decision.

Also, Vorgen, do you mind if we point out grammar and/or spelling errors from time to time so that you can fix them? E.g., stuff like this:

Vorgen posted:

Gameplay note: The cat is a stealthy, stealthy familiar.

... Basically its a thief. And at -4 AC with 24 hit points its also a freakin tank ...

(Both of these should be "it's". Use "it's" whenever "it is" or "it has" would be correct, "its" otherwise).

Vorgen posted:

I'll definitely suggest to her to take Montaron's armor when we fight our way back to his corpse, though. Its better.

(Ditto).

Vorgen posted:

And so I lay my second traveling companion to rest in as many days. If life was really this harsh outside Candlekeep, what would happen to us? Would Imoen be next? Xzar? Me? I feared for the future...

(Slipped back into past tense for the last half of that paragraph; should be present tense for consistency).

Basically, if you'd appreciate having an editor check your writing, I'd be willing to help, but I don't want to come across all Grammar Nazi. Let me know.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Unlike the previous poster, I enjoy the narrative format, and I tend to prefer choices that will make for a coherent narrative. In other words, I'll tend to ask myself "What would Syvishtar do?" a lot. As you've written him so far, he seems to be feeling more than a little shaken up, so I think he'd be grateful for Jaheira and Khalid's help and go along with what they want -- at least at first. Jaheira's take-charge attitude may start to grate on him later, but for now, I think we should generally follow the plot, while taking every opportunity to fight bags of XP random encounters along the way. And solve any sidequests encountered, too. Kobolds are nasty little critters, as I recall, and traps are NOT fun with the Tactics mod installed, so we're going to need all the free XP and levels we can get before we follow the plot too much further.

So I vote that we follow the plot and head south with J&K, for now. We can strike out along uncharted paths later on, once we have another level or two under our belt.

Also, heading south gets us closer to Minsc, who is not only the most iconic character in the entire game but is also a darn handy beatstick with his ludicrous Strength score. And what with Syvishtar's personality, I can't help but feel that he and Minsc will get along swimmingly. Which should be a lot of fun for Vorgen to write, and for me to read. His battle cry is one of my favorite things about this game. You know the one I'm talking about. (Don't spoil it, anyone -- there may be people reading this who haven't played the game before, as unlikely as that may sound.)

P.S. Quick question for Volger Vorgen, whose name I totally did not misspell just now: what kind of spoiler policy do you want on characters we haven't met yet? Jaheira and Khalid have been mentioned by the plot, and you already mentioned Minsc in the intro post, but do you want us to refrain from mentioning any other characters we haven't met yet? Also, I felt free to discuss Jaheira's personality since we're about to meet her, but is that the kind of thing you'd want spoiler-tagged in the future?

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 7, 2011

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Khalid's stats posted:

... Intelligence 15, Wisdom 10, Charisma 9 ...

Vorgen posted:

* Khalid is a nerdy fighter ...

This. This right here. Khalid is clearly a Duskblade. There can be no other choice.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Slaan posted:

Head back South and take the belts from this Fashionable Ogre. And the little bloodsucking Imp on your hip says "Wear the belts you get off of the Ogre!"

This has my vote. Have Syvishtar wear one of the belts (you could flip a coin and pick one at random, or choose which one if you want to write the results in a particular way) and give the other one to Imoen. Either way it turns out, it should be amusing.

Also, Minsc is somewhere to the South of us, so south is the right direction to go.

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 9, 2011

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Gamplay note: Ok guys, we have some possibly difficult decisions to make. With 3 dead party members, all at level 1, it's going to cost us 300 gold to raise them all. We currently have 95 gold, but I think with selling some equipment, especially what dropped from the bandits we fought, we can possibly raise 300 gold. Do we do that? Do we leave Eldoth at the bandit ambush? Khalid? Do we abandon Imoen's body to the ravages of wild dogs? Choices must be made.

Raise Imoen, no question about that. As if Syvishtar would let his childhood friend rot when he already has nearly enough money to raise her anyways.

Raise Khalid. It'll cost a bit more, but he was Gorion's friend, and Syvishtar would be loyal enough to want to raise him. Besides, we don't want to get murdered in our sleep by an irate druid/fighter for refusing to raise her husband.

Eldoth... Meh, we barely knew him. You can't get Skie without him, and she's a pretty nice thief. But on the other hand, by the time you get to Baldur's Gate you'll have the chance to get other thieves, at least one of whom has even better DEX than Skie does. (And who knows who else is around, added by one mod or another?) I don't think we can afford three resurrections, so let Eldoth rot.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Ha! I just realized who Jaheira and Khalid remind me of.

Hmm, funny, Khalid told me the same story, only he said it was *you* who was standing all by yourself.

Oh? That's an interesting... piece of lore.

Ahem! Actually, we were *both* standing by ourselves... but getting back to wood lore - did you know that grubs can be quite tasty?... No one can cook them like Jaheira!

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Wait, what happened to the second belt the ogre had in the original game?

Modders! :argh:

Oh well, if we don't have any Girdle of Sex Change hijinks going on, we might as well return that girdle to its owner for the XP reward.

Will Scarlet's abilities posted:

Has a bard song called "Scarlet Rush" (This song causes a slight blood rush in allies and cause [sic] them to gain 1 extra attack per round; the effectiveness of the song increases at higher levels)

:wth: Is that as broken as I think it is? :wth:

Either the modder who created Will wanted his song to be an easy-mode switch for the party, or else they created Will because they expect you to need an extra attack per round for everyone at level 1. I don't know which one worries me more.

Vorgen posted:

You guys mind Will Scarlet? Or should we drop him off at the nearest inn?

Definitely keep him until level 3, as insurance against another party-killing encounter. Two attacks per party member, plus bows (or crossbows) for everyone = your party will be a murder machine. That might make the game too easy, though (unless the mods have really upped the difficulty), so ditch him later on once you can survive on your own.

Don't ditch him permanently, though (unless he's gibbed). Leave him at a local inn (and if he's dead, raise him first) so that you can recruit him again later. Just in case you need the extra combat power his song provides.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Let's see how long this psycho bitch lives before we think of switching her out with Xzar or someone else. With only 9 Con and our mortality rate I don't think she'll live thaaaat long.

This. All Most of our casualties so far have been melee fighters (I think Imoem was the only exception), so it's not likely she'll last that long. But at least she's not a Zhentarim agent, so hey, she's better than Xzar.

Keep her for now.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

We can't get the mines done at level 1 and survive.

It's been ages since I played BG, and I don't remember how XP works on new party members: do they join you at a similar level to your current level? If by waiting until we're level 2 or 3 to recruit Minsc, would we get a Minsc who's level 2 or 3? The answer might change my vote.

Edit: Found it at GameFAQs: "The level you recruit an NPC at is based on your XP when you first talk to the NPC." So I vote that we go back to Beregost now and turn in sidequests, then come back and talk to Minsc once we've hit level 2 or 3. Then go rescue Dynaheir, then go to the mines.

2nd edit: vvvvv If that's how it works now, then my reasoning is the same: turn in sidequests now (they're the best source of XP at low levels), then get Minsc once we're at level 2 or 3 so that we can all survive to reach Dynaheir.

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 11, 2011

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Oh, and in case Vorgen is doing a preference-voting thing, I should clarify my vote.

I vote for 1, then 2, then 3.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

There does look to be a consensus to ditch Khalid and Jaheira after clearing the mines, yes.

However, I wouldn't say there's a consensus on ditching Minsc. Waiting until after the mines to pick him up, yes. Ditching him...

The following people have voted for getting Minsc briefly, then ditching him:
vilkacis
markus_cz
meristem
jng2058
Fighting Trousers

The following people have voted for keeping Minsc permanently:
JamMasterJim
Slaan
Tax Refund

The following people have voted for getting Minsc but have expressed no opinion on whether to keep him long-term or not:
Whitecloak
Cooked Auto

So if Whitecloak and Cooked Auto meant "keep Minsc long-term", then it might be a tied vote right now. Though if we do the mines first, there'll be plenty of time for this vote to shift...

P.S. Did I miss anyone? Misrepresent anyone's position?

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

New tally:

The following people have voted for getting Minsc briefly, then ditching him:
vilkacis
markus_cz
meristem
jng2058
Fighting Trousers
ShiningForceHero

The following people have voted for keeping Minsc permanently:
JamMasterJim
Slaan
Tax Refund
AJ_Impy
Kaboom Dragoon
PotatoManJack
Whitecloak
Xander77
JGBeagle
Lord_Ventnor
fong
Cooked Auto
Hammer Floyd

The following people have voted for getting Minsc but have expressed no opinion on whether to keep him long-term or not:
Whitecloak (said "keep him permanently")
Cooked Auto (ditto)

The vote currently stands at 13 to 6 for keeping Minsc in the party for good.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Gauntlets of Ogre Power posted:

Strength: +2 bonus (+100 exceptional)

It's been long enough since I played 2nd edition AD&D that I've forgotten the rules for 18/## strength scores. What would these gloves do if worn by Minsc, whose STR is already around 18/50 or so?

I vote to raise Will once we have another 20 gold (shouldn't be hard to come by -- just go find a couple of bandits to scalp if you have to). Once we get everyone to level 2 we should have enough hitpoints not to have people dropping from a single blow anymore.

And yeah, give the gauntlets and sword to Shar-Teel for now until we pick up Minsc. Then give them to him, then to whoever we pick up as our party's beatstick once we send Minsc to the bench tavern. (I'm in favor of the rotating-characters strategy, as long as we rotate Minsc in often enough.)

Also, that poison quarterstaff seems surprisingly powerful, too: 30% of maximum hit points in damage? That means it'll scale even to bosses. And a +3 to hit is nothing to sneeze at, either. And correct me if I'm wrong, but was there or was there not no mention whatsoever of a saving throw in the quarterstaff description? Seems like a pretty crucial omission, if I'm right...

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

If you can still get Jaheira and Khalid back after dropping them, then drop them. If for some reason they'd be gone for good if you dropped them now (i.e., your reputation is so low that they would just leave without waiting at an inn), then keep them until it's safe to put them on the bench.

For now, go with:

Imoen for thief skills, and because she's your BFF
Kivan for machine-gun archery
Gavin for healing and beating things with non-pointy weapons. Plus, he seems decently-written so far, and I'd like to see more of him.
Shar-Teel for beating things with pointy weapons (give her the magical gauntlets and sword)
Finch for a secondary healer and/or priest caster, and hopefully some humor value as she interacts with Imoen

Once we meet Minsc, I'll probably want to swap Shar-Teel out for Minsc, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Also, Haiass doesn't count against your six-person party limit, right? Then take him along as well, naturally.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Minor mistake I noticed:

Vorgen posted:

Gameplay note: Even standard Baldur's Gate II had party members that would just not get along. The most famous were Keldorn, an old and experienced paladin, and Jaheira, a drow priestess of Shar.

I think you misspelled "Viconia" there.

Edit: Oh yeah, voting.

1. Tell Kivan to suck it up and stop whining. If this makes him leave the party, so be it. He's very useful to have around, but we can get other archers.

2. Whoa. Some combination of mods must have majorly bugged this romance, because there's no way that line about "your formidable mate, Shar-Teel" should be showing up this early. Also, depending on the way the romance code is written, having a romance flag for one character may permanently block off the romance paths for other characters. Which means my vote is to consider breaking your "no reloading" policy just this once, to reload so that this update never happened, otherwise you may have just made it impossible to get other romances. Even if you do keep this update, my vote is to have Syvishtar stay the heck away from the crazy psycho.

3. There's no way we'll survive the Bassilus quest at level 1. Clear out the road between Beregost and Nashkel, that should still have level-appropriate encounters. And if you get lucky and meet a skeleton or two, try to finish the Mellicamp quest for the XP bonus. Quest XP is the best way to hit level 2 quickly.

Also, you haven't called for a vote on whether to rez Shar-Teel a second time. I vote to let her stay dead this time, she's not worth the cost of repeatedly resurrecting her. Not when Minsc can fill the "party beat-stick" slot perfectly well.

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 20, 2011

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

I also remember grinding ankhegs quite a bit back when I owned this game, but I can't remember exactly why. Do they give good XP, or do their shells sell for a lot? Shame you couldn't carry those ankheg shells, or we could have found out.

Also, I seem to remember that someone -- probably the dwarven blacksmith whose name I can't remember just now -- could make some quite nice armor out of ankheg shells. It might be worth returning to the spot after you get some resurrections, just in case they haven't despawned yet. With some inventory shuffling, you may be able to get someone (assisted by Bracers of Ogre Power) to carry them.

Brainamp posted:

Didn't really make much difference on switching out fighters it seems.

I think Syvishtar might just be cursed against fighters.

Nah, it's just that ankhegs will MURDER you at level 1, no matter who you are.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

If we get Minsc, we need to get Dynaheir as well, unless the mod that unlocked the Jaheira/Khalid forced party pair also unlocked the Minsc/Dynaheir forced party pair.

If we can get Minsc all by himself, then replace Shar-Teel with Minsc now. Save Dynaheir, then send her off to the inn.

If the Minsc/Dynaheir pair is locked as in the original, then replace Rose with Minsc now, so that we have two good warriors to send against the gnolls. Then replace Shar-Teel with Dynaheir once we rescue her. Dynaheir's not all that interesting as a character, but at least she's not annoying -- and as I recall, she does pull her own weight as a mage, making the Minsc/Dynaheir pairing worth giving up two slots for.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

B, B, a thousand times B. So sick of that initial flirt chat line by now, not to mention that it seems totally out of character for Syvishtar to be sleeping with a slaver.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Xvimic posted:

Cool, I needed that too.

E: nevermind, removed already :doh:

Not removed, the link just had an extraneous quote character at the end. Delete that and you're golden.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

I never liked Edwin anyway. Wait, choice 1 lets us say precisely those words to Edwin's face?

Yeah: get rid of the stuck-up prig, and keep the awesome ranger. Did you see how many things Minsc was gibbing? It's like having Shar-Teel back in the party, only with "Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!" replacing "... all strength and grace, if little of pleasantness." Win-win.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Vorgen posted:

... I have been unable to find an adequate video editing solution for Ubuntu within the past 3 hours ...

What did you try? The video-editing projects I've tried in the past on Ubuntu have included Cinelerra, Kdenlive, and Pitivi, and none of them have felt particularly well-suited to my needs. However, I've recently started hearing about OpenShot (http://www.openshotvideo.com/), which looks quite promising from the little bit of playing around I've done with it so far. (Though admittedly I haven't used it for any "real" projects yet, just playing around with the interface). See if "sudo apt-get install openshot" helps you any.

... And if this turns into a lengthy discussion, we should probably take it to the Tech Support Fort.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

-5 AGAINST Dynaheir

If I have to read one more update with that many Thine's and Thou's again :argh:

See, I feel the opposite. I'm liking Dynaheir because her use of thee, thou, thine and thy is actually grammatically correct, which tells me that whoever wrote her dialogue actually cared about getting it right.

As for voting:

+2 Minsc. We need a beatstick, and he's a) funny, and b) NOT Shar-Teel.
+1 Viconia. She's been reliable clerical support so far.
+1 Finch, and stick her in the back of the party with a sling to keep her out of danger.
+1 Dynaheir, because we need a mage and I don't like Edwin.
And since Imoen is the runaway leader, she doesn't need me to vote for her, so I gave the vote I would have cast for her to Minsc instead.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

It's certainly better than The Mod NPC who shallst not be named, but would she really use thou on you and Drizzt straight away? That'd be kind of rude in French, to tu a stranger who just saved your life. Missed opportunity for characterization there, especially if she's going to romance the PC: they could have indicated the romance activation by having her switch from ye.

That's an excellent point, and I can't believe that I forgot the informal/formal distinction between thou and ye. It's a subtlety that would fly right over your average modder's head, but then, so would correct grammar. It was an average modder, after all, who created That NPC. (And thank you ever so much for reminding me of her. I thought I'd successfully repressed those memories. I'll send you the bill for all those now-wasted therapy sessions. Eth.)

However, let's brush historical accuracy aside for the moment, because a funny thing happened to the word "thou" in the past couple centuries. Once it dropped out of common usage and most people encountered it only in Shakespeare and/or the King James Bible (or the preacher's Sunday sermon), it suddenly started sounding more "formal" to modern ears. Which is ironic: the translators of the King James Bible were making an interesting grammatical and theological point by using the informal second-person pronoun to refer to God, and now language like "Thou, Lord, art worthy to be praised" makes God sound more distant when the original intent was for God to sound closer (i.e., the common person can address God informally). The result in, say, Dynaheir's speech patterns is that her use of the informal "thee" and "thou" actually makes it sound (to modern ears) like she's using more formal speech, and seems to place a bit of emotional distance between her and the main character.

In other words, even though it would be completely grammatically wrong, having Dynaheir switch from calling the main character "thou" to calling him "you" would actually have the effect (to most modern English speakers) of sounding like she's finally starting to defrost towards him.

Ain't language weird?

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

OldTimeyProspector posted:

-5 Imoen I actually like Imoen! Why am I doing this?

Vorgen posted:

Here's the final vote tally:
code:
Name     | Yes | No |  Total
----------------------------
Xzar        30 -  0      30
Imoen       35 -  5      30

Most universally loved award goes to: Xzar!?

Gee, thanks OldTimeyProspector. Without your bizarre, out-of-character vote, Xzar would never have won that award; it would have gone to Imoe--Hey, wait a minute.

Hey Xzar, Imoen's not going to be very happy that you stole Algernon's Cloak. And she's especially not going to like finding out what you did with it. Now, you're going to behave for the rest of this trip, all right? Otherwise, well, who knows what Imoen might suddenly find out about? Are we clear, Xzar?

Here, OldTimeyProspector -- drink this potion of Break Enchantment. Your head should clear right up.

:D

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 16, 2011

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Vorgen posted:

I just checked the post date on my first post. It's been two and a half months since I began this LP, and I've written 40 updates. And I'm still only level 4 and we haven't advanced the main plot much beyond the first day. I'm still going to be doing this next year at this time, aren't I?

Just keep repeating the Infinity Engine LP mantra to yourself:

"At least it isn't Planescape: Torment... At least it isn't Planescape: Torment... At least it isn't Planescape: Torment..."

:D

(Seriously, I have no idea how ShadowCatboy managed to complete his LP. Though I'm very, very glad he did.)

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

E. He might be an evil servant of the evil slime god, but at least he's more trustworthy than Xzar.

Plus, the idea of him hanging around the Friendly Arm inn later on is hilarious.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

+3 Finch
+2 Kivan

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Where in the world is that from? Because I think I want to watch that movie now.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

3E. Dump Mur'neth like a hot potato, and take on the new thief. She and Imoen can give each other tips!

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Spotted what I think is a typo of sorts (wrong portrait):

Vorgen posted:

I think I understand our situation perfectly, better than you do. You are afraid to live, afraid to feel joy or affection, aren't you? Why, "we are all doomed," so "what is the point"?

Bravo, Syvishtara! I believe in a few months you will be able to enter Shar's priesthood; you sense hidden pains well enough to qualify.

I've had enough of these illusions of safety and power. I am tired from this endless torture of guessing whether we will be alive in the morning, whether I will be able to... no. There is no point in further discussion. Just leave me be.

It seems like the last two of these should have had Xan's portrait, not Syvishtara's.

Vorgen posted:

The other factor to consider is that Xan just threatened to leave the party, and we just told him we might love him. If we kick him out now, he might leave for good. I'm not sure, but maybe it'll be like Ajantis. Should we risk it? Let me know what you think.

Should we go to Restenford with one party slot open?

1. Yes, kick out Safana and pick up that bard in Restenford. We can't bear to see Xan go, maybe!
2. Yes, kick out Xan and pick up that bard in Restenford. He died, he deserves some rest. Possibly forever.
3. No, nobody cares about the bard. Drop Xan off, pick up Finch, and lets head out. He died, no exceptions!
4. No, nobody cares about the bard. But I love Xan too much to let him go. Keep the party as it is and lets get to Restenford!

I'm actually finding Xan less annoying as we learn more about him, but there's no reason to abandon our rest policy yet. Besides, I'm pretty sure that when Syvishtara told Xan that she "might feel the same", you set the "lovers" flag on that romance. Notice how the flirt dialogue has changed in those last few screenshots of the update. Which means that if we kick him out of the party, he's not going to abandon us forever.

Now, whether the Xan romance is written in such a way that he drops the lovers flag if he ever leaves the party... that's something I wouldn't know.

But the guy died, he needs some rest. I vote 2.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Extra movement is not something you should pass up. B. It might take a little longer to get Imoen her thief levels back after dualclassing her, but the result will be an amazingly powerful Imoen.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Vorgen posted:

It was also brought up to me that Imoen would get another weapon proficiency at level 8. What about waiting until then?

Well, as the voting currently stands it looks like "switch after level 7" is a runaway leader. If you really want to make waiting until level 8 a real option, it'd probably be better to hold a second vote after this one is closed, because not enough people will see this option in time to switch their votes to "wait for level 8" otherwise.

It's your LP, ultimately, so you decide how to run the votes, but that's how I would do it. Hold a new vote with the new options of "wait for level 7" and "wait for level 8" both included from the start; otherwise it's a foregone conclusion that the "wait for level 8" option will lose.

Edit: Welp. Should have hit "Preview", then I would have seen your post from three minutes ago saying pretty much the same thing.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Rub it in his face that he needs our help: 3.

But if there's a second choice and it has a "rub it in his face" option, take the "be nice and help" option on the second time around. He may have been a jerk, but if we push it too hard he may stop asking for our help, and it would be a shame to pass up the chance for even more "free" XP and loot.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

-3 Shar-Teel, +2 Minsc, and NO reputation drop.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

I'm finding myself hoping that Shar-Teel gets gibbed, or permanently removed from consideration in some way, just so we won't have to go through this EVERY TIME. I mean, let's look at the top five vote-getters at this point in time. Four of them, combined, have received a total of 153 votes (145 positive and 8 negative). Then there's Shar-Teel, who has received a total of 165 votes (99 positive and 66 negative).

Oh, and if you add up the total votes for and against every party member but Shar-Teel? 312 votes in total (291 positive, 21 negative). Which means that Shar-Teel's 165 votes represent fully one-third of the total votes cast.

I'd love to see her removed from voting consideration somehow, so that other party members (like Finch, or Rose, or even Safana) might get more than a few votes, positive OR negative, thrown their way. It'd be nice if these "vote for the party members" debates determined more of the party composition than whether or not Shar-Teel is in the top five...

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

1. No
2. No

3. No, at least not until we can discuss what Imoen gets at level 8 of her Charming Rogue class. What was that again? I can't seem to find the previous discussion.
3. Yes, since Imoen now has the level-7 movement bonus we were aiming for.

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 17, 2012

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

ulmont posted:

+1 movement rate, actually, unless I'm misreading +1 every 7 levels.

And that's the real question. Does "every 7 levels" mean "at level 1 and level 8," (i.e., the first bonus comes at level 1) or "at level 0 and level 7" (i.e., the first bonus comes at level 7 since there is no level 0)? I think it's far more likely that the first bonus comes at level 7, not at level 1... which means that now that she's hit level 7, she has the bonus.

Therefore, I'm changing my vote to:

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
, since Imoen now has the level-7 movement bonus we were aiming for.

I'll go back and edit my previous vote post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

ulmont posted:

Seems unlikely if you look at the picture of the level-up screen.

I'm looking at it, but I can't tell. The level-up screen shows "Additional Skill Points: 25" at the top of the "what did she get this level" section, but since that window is scrolled all the way to the bottom, I can't tell what's above the skill points line. (I'm pretty sure that <i>something</i> is above the skill points line, or scroll bar position would be showing at the top as it's showing in the "thief skills" section immediately above.)

Vorgen? Did Imoen get that +1 movement bonus this level or not?

Ah, thanks for clarifying. My vote stands as "Yes, dualclass her now."

• Locked thread