Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Khalid is awesome. gently caress the haters. :colbert: (I'll take Dreadnought for 500, Alex)

But what is this crossbow bullshit with Jaheira? She's capable of being your front-line tank all the way through the end of ToB!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Eldoth's a twat. so leave 'im. That's what he gets for leaving his original start area! (Okay, he got moved by the modders, but he's still a twat)

Project Raise Imoen and Khalid is go.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Have you ever been with a warrior woman?

Holy poo poo, Bioware is Joss Whedon. :catstare:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

vilkacis posted:

I'm pretty sure that dialogue was introduced by a mod, so we probably shouldn't blame Bioware for that, at least. (Though there are still plenty of things we can and should blame them for.)

Oh, it's definitely mod dialogue. I was referring more to the eventual (and ignoble) fates of the characters in question.

Also, keep Will Scarlet. He's a mod character I'm not familiar with, and I want to see how much of a trainwreck he is.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Therefore, I say we should Go Back to Beregost and Tie up our Loose Ends then Do Nashkel and the Mines then Let Jaheira and Khalid Go, and finally Go West, Pick Up Minsc, Rescue Dynaheir, then Let Them Both Leave.

I support this course of action.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Puistokemisti posted:

We should get Minsc and then release him since he comes with the useless mage package and we can just pick him alone in BG2. This leaves room for the mod NPCs, I would actually like to see some of them for longer than it takes for us to find next group of wolves to eat their balls, especially since some of them have interesting sounding quests.

Much as I love Minsc - and I really, really do - there are so many amazingly horrid mod characters added to Big World Project that I'd love to see (so I never have to download them for myself).

Vorgen posted:

Ahahahahaha, I was testing something and started a new Shadows of Amn game, going through a ton of cutscenes. When I finally got control of my character and started wandering around Irenicus' dungeon, I discovered something horrible.

My friends, we're going to have to go into :siren: CODE RED FURRY ALERT :siren: when we get there. Irenicus really is a disgusting bastard.

Also, amazingly horrid mod things in general. Oh god, what have they done? :gonk:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

vilkacis posted:

That's odd, I didn't think this had been completed.

What the frilly gently caress.

Sturgeon's Law in action, folks. I've come across maybe 4 mod characters who aren't horrifically embarrassing, and for every semi-decent one, there's a Saerileth, or a Chloe, or a Keldorn romance, or an Imoen add-on where she goes into detail about how Irenicus raped her oh god make it stop :gonk:.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Basically, my criteria for a decent mod character are: they're not blatant wish fulfillment on the part of the writer, they aren't Super Special Snowflakes, and they don't have a tragic backstory/mega-angst/enough baggage for an ocean liner. With that in mind, I'd call Keto my favorite. It's a shame there's not any ToB content for her, because I think she was really well done. And actually funny, as opposed to "lol I'm random and whimsical, love me!" Kelsey's pretty good, and I found Gavin to be reasonably un-embarrassing as well. I actually really dislike the Solaufein mod, but I'll refrain from :spergin: out for the sake of the thread.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Kivan! :swoon:

(But why'd they have to change his portrait? What was wrong with the old one?)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

rizzen posted:

Anyways, Imoen, Kivan, Kagain, Finch, and Rose.

Going with this - Rose in particular seems to have a strong probability of being either hilariously broken, terribly written, or a delightful combination of the two.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Slaan posted:

Kick her and Mopey-the-Elf for Misnc/Dynaheir

I third, but I add the rider that we find the modder who turned Kivan from a steely-eyed vengeance machine into a flower-picking emo and beat them senseless with a sack full of BG install CDs.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Mellicamp! :neckbeard:

1. Suck it up and kill poo poo, elf-boy.

2. I hear crazy sex is awesome. Go for it, you mad bastard. (also give the girl one more res)

3) Get the skull! But Bassilus may be more than we can handle at the moment, so from there, head north.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

To be fair it's an epic theme for an epic romance. Gangly mage gets broken in half by big warrior woman? Oh yeah that's one for the history books.

Fixed that for ya.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

+1 for the current party, because I like the dynamic. At least until Rose runs out of things to say. If we must have variety, +1 for Gavin to replace Finch. Until we get Branwen. I'm dying to see her and Shar-Teel cat fight over our scrawny elf nerd.

Walrus Pete posted:

Alternatively, if it's feasible to remove a single mod from this giant clusterfuck: The mod that ruined Kivan -5

Also this.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Then you'll die. If you meet the conditions for either of their romances, you don't meet the conditions for the other. Branwen and Dynaheir will have a romance conflict, but never Shar-Teel.

Boo, I say. How anti-climatic.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

abannist posted:

I think the correct term for that is death by snu snu. :eng101:

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

A Kensai lesbian demigoddess whose defining personality traits are "cool" and "awesome."

Let's not forget that she spends all her time getting into arguments with the other NPCs because they're not as awesome as she is. And have we mentioned that she's a lesbian? Because she is. Big ole lesbian. Loves the ladies. Hates cock. Lesbian.

(What I'm saying is that her characterization is so thin you can slide it under a bank vault door)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I think in this case "modern" is being used to describe the modding process/coding used to put the character in the game, not the character himself. As for Kelsey himself, I don't hate him. He passes my litmus test for male NPCs - he's no worse than Anomen. (which isn't the highest bar, I know)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Gameplay note: Ok, lets take a look at this paladin. Interestingly enough, in his character bio it says that he squired under Keldorn!

Pretty sure that's a mod addition (though one I approve of). Ditch Shar-Teel for him, because Ajantis is awesome, and I think you killed the romance. No change of plans, though, just a tank swap.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vorgen posted:

I tried typing up an email ezplaining the situation but I just can't. I'm too embarrassed to even ask. "Hey Slowbeef can I put the explicit sex scenes from this mod of BG2 my Let's Play? Please?" So yah maybe I should just skip the adult content.

You are wise, my friend. Awkwardly written erotica shoe-horned into an adventure game is the worst possible kind.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

milhouse14 posted:

Head south. The iron crisis isn't going to solve itself.

Agreed. Also, :allears: the music. My, that brings back memories.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

1A
2E

Kick Xzar for Bub - Ajantis needs to stay, if only so we can see how well he and Viconia get along. (I expect fireworks, modders, don't let me down)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vorgen posted:

It's not my first time through the Darkest Day, the Tactics mods, or the Ascension mod.

You, sir, are a masochist. I salute you.

(I consider Ascension to be a necessary addition to ToB, but Darkest Day? Ouch)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Three, count 'em, three clerics! Oh, the discussions of comparative theology they must have over beers. It'll be interesting to see how Viconia and Gavin get on, considering he's a priest of the sun god.

Regarding Gavin's chattiness, his banter timer (like many mod NPCs) doesn't suspend when he's kicked out of the group. So it's been ticking away the whole time he was out, leading to a conversation backlog.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

markus_cz posted:

Strange... I find her one of the most well defined characters so far, definitely better than, say, Finch ("librarian") or Gavin ("a guy who asks questions") or Kivan ("emo!"). She's a heartless, aggressive woman-bear who has issues with men, and she has some great lines. She's one dimensional, yes, but on par with Tiax or Xzar. I can't understand why shy has fewer votes than, for example, Bub Snikt who's just an empty box with high stats.

Anyone care to tell me where does all the hate come from? Is it because you don't like the romance? (Again, I find great because the relationship is so much different from what you usually see in games.)

For a warrior woman, she's got the constitution of a box of kleenex. Under the new rules, she'd just have to hit the bench after she dies yet again. Bub may be boring (and he is, surprisingly so), but he's a better meatshield.

Conot posted:

Plus if we ever hope to get out of our Reputation shithole, we need to take our reputation above her romance barrier.

Also this. Having a crappy rep may be fun from a roleplay standpoint, but it's a drain on party resources. Higher rep means lower equipment prices.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Aw, Finch. :( Farewell, you tiny gnomish power-house.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Let me put it this way: the author of Gavin has openly said that Gavin's family is intended to be a deal-breaker and a very good reason why some people would refuse to take him along and some NPCs will react very badly to him.

You know, I've played the Gavin mod. I even did the romance. And I rather enjoyed it, for what it was. It shouldn't surprise me that my enjoyment managed to be in spite of the modder's wishes and not because of them, but yet it does.

And seriously, romancing Keldorn? The gently caress, man. That's just wrong.

Vorgen posted:

We're going to the fair!

Heeeeeelllo, Branwen. (I hope the modders haven't weirded her up)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

D

Shar-Teel's finally pulling her weight as a tank, but I tire of her 'romance'.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Dynaheir is not a mage in the BiG World Project. You gotta remember, everything is similar, but different. The modder's touch has reached almost every aspect of this game.

Wha? Okay, now we can't kill her just so I can see this. Also, Edwin is funniest when he's being inconvenienced, so I say we let her live just to piss him off. Even if we're not going to be tapping that. I vote B.

(I'll cop to being Team Branwen anyway. Mock if you wish)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Changed my vote in my vote post. Shar-teel is creepy and boring, and I don't like her. :colbert:

Seriously, her Romance doesn't really look like it's going anywhere.

I think that's because, as Vorgen said, her next lovetalk has a very specific (and stupid) trigger. Apparently she needs to see our boy half-killed to get turned on.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

PotatoManJack posted:

I guess I'm happy that Shar-teel is gone, but Edwin is really pissing me off. He's just such a prick.

I dunno, I personally found this hilarious:

Vorgen posted:

Oh, quit your whining. I am at least as good a mage as you are, if not a better one.

The Red Wizards of Thay hold the darkest secrets of the strongest magic! The weakest of our Zulkir could grind that pathetic Elminster of yours to dust with a flick of her finger. (I hold more power in my pinky then he does in his dry little brain, I am sure.)

And Zulkir would be a honey and nut pastry?

The Zulkir, my painfully ignorant travel companion, are the most powerful mages among the Red Wizards. They have complete dominion over the wizards in their respective schools of magic. (Shall I have to clarify *that*, I wonder?)

Oh, bite it, Edwin. Red Wizards think themselves so important, but in truth, they are no better than other mages. In fact, they are worse, because they spend too much time on political scheming, and too little on researching magic.

Yes, yes, the challenges posed by the unilateral mind. Those who are accepted into the ranks of the Red Wizards are talented beyond what barbarians here can imagine. Thusly, they can excel in both magic and politics.

True mages should not be removed from the world, they should rule it. Keeping wizards from leadership would leave the world stumbling in the dark, like a headless chicken.

Casting four Color Sprays per fight does not an enigma make! I feel like shoving my spellbook in his face and saying "Count them! Count them, bastard!" but I don't. Instead I give him Rhialto's Spellbook just long enough for him to notice that he can't use it. Ha!

More of Edwin being a pissy bitch and getting shut down by Syvishtar, please.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I am, in fact, entertained.

(Gladiator)

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Anything that pisses off Edwin is automatically funny, and I want to see what modded Dynaheir can do.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Olive Branch posted:

Also goddamn, Minsc. That is one seriously destructive sword.

It's not a made up modder's wet dream weapon, either. However, if you're playing the series vanilla, you don't get it until BGII. Halfway through the main questline.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

+2 Dynaheir and +2 Edwin, because I want her to have her chance at revenge, and +1 Branwen to round things out.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vorgen posted:

Most universally loved award goes to: Xzar!?

You people are weird.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vorgen posted:

I've also got a mind to bribe Firkraag the red dragon to join our party. And the spectator beholder in the Underdark. And some non-hostile undead, perhaps a lich that we encounter. Or Bodhi.

Seeing as the spectator is the best NPC in the Baldur's Gate series, I demand that you do this.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

F

I'm surprised Viconia has nothing to say to him, considering Ghaunadaur is technically a drow deity.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I love the idea of taking Kivan to the bandit camps (and always try to when I play the game myself). But I so despise what the modders have done to him, with the gratuitous elvish and Whedon-esque brooding, that I feel like using him is somehow giving them what they want.

I'm torn. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does Xzar actually have any content in the mines? I thought him going there was just like Khalid and Jaheira - ie, to point the player in the right plot direction.

• Locked thread