Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
I vote B, Xan. And as a habitual lurker who's spent the last few days obsessively catching up with this LP, I'd like to thank Vorgen for taking on such a crazy and entertaining challenge and writing it up on the internet! I sincerely hope to see it continue all the way to the end of ToB.

My one sadness about this LP so far, though, is the lack of gibbing. I'm certain you must've accidentally downloaded a mod to completely disable party gibbing, Vorgen, because as I recall it was much more frequent in the vanilla game. It's a shame, because the "perma-death" aspect of the LP was one of the things I was looking forward to most going in, but I suppose the party rotation mechanic performs a similar function anyway - and I'm hoping the perma-death picks up in Shadows of Amn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

No. Syvishtar(a) is basically the epitome of Chaotic, dammit, she won't let marriage stop her from banging half the people in her party. So why bother with it in the first place?

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

Give the Tome to Syv, of course! I'd only say otherwise if it was an Intelligence Tome, in which case it'd go to Imoen.

I wonder what lessons Syv will learn from Mulgore being the one to take out Fear, Love, and Pride. Maybe that mindless, brute destruction is the best answer to inner turmoil?

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

You know what I hate? When a mod makes a complete mess of a game's perfectly good canon, while bringing nothing else of value or interest to the experience. That's what I hate.

Poor Jon, he deserved a better introduction to this LP.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

I really enjoy the mental image of an entire army of super-agents swinging away and slinging spells against one paralyzed dwarf, who just watches them with angry eyes until his fingers start twitching. And then he breaks free. And kills them all.

Are there any mods that bring Kagain to BG2? Because if not, I'll have to assume he left Syv behind for just slowing him down.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

He gets uppity and tries to take over the Golden Company. Syv & party have to somehow find a way to defeat the invincible dwarf in combat. I'd like to see Syv struggling in battle against the monster he has created.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

The funny thing about alignments is that most of the worst people in real-world history thought of themselves as being Good. Yet, in the world of Baldur's Gate, you can *detect* alignments with a low-level spell. How does a self-righteous priest who thinks that all heathens should be tortured to death for the "good" of society react when told that he's actually Lawful Evil? Does he deny the validity of the spell, which might well have been cast by a cleric of his own faith?

It's funny because BG as a series is actually very good at introducing moral ambiguity in some ways, but it's slavishly bound to the D&D system where morality is as measurable as height or weight. Alignments might work if they were an abstract gameplay mechanic entirely segregated from in-character knowledge, but once you make it clear that the characters *in the world itself* are able to measure and quantify concepts like "Goodness" and "Lawfulness," simple elements of plot and character start to fall apart. Why don't paladins just go around scanning people's alignments in taverns, and brutally murdering anyone who comes up "Evil?" Or would that make *them* Evil too? After killing everyone Evil, could they then kill themselves, a noble self-sacrifice which would finally rid the world of Evil? Or would the act of killing themselves make them Good again?

Alignment makes my head hurt.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

D, Syv, yes, yes, Bjornin.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

Strategy 1!

As for the party members, 3 votes for Edwin, 1 vote for Minsc, and 1 vote for Imoen.

EDIT: Got to keep the classics alive, they have dialogue and plotlines and everything!

Skelicopter fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 28, 2014

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

If it's allowed, I would like to change my +1 vote for Imoen to a +1 vote for Minsc. Because Imoen doesn't need the help, but Minsc does!

If last-minute alterations like this aren't allowed, please disregard.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

Vorgen posted:

So, essentially, what I'm trying to say is I'm a literary genius and didn't even know it. I think I just blew my own mind.

I honestly believe that a lot of good writers experience this kind of realization at least once or twice.

"Oh hey, this thing I churned out at 2 in the morning... actually works really loving well! It's thematically consistent and everything! Huh."

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

I replay Baldur's Gate a lot, but tend to lose interest around about the Cloakwood. So my memory of this part of the game is very fuzzy, as well.

Which is a shame, honestly, because it's also possibly my favourite part of the game! I played through BG when I was about 12 and all the fantasy tropes were completely new to me. Exploring Baldur's Gate, and uncovering the conspiracy, blew my mind.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

This ending is beautiful, but I don't know if I'll vote for it yet. I don't know if it quite fits the LP narrative well enough, and my love of Minsc and Edwin's characters in BG2 is so great that I don't know if I could handle Syvishtar killing them on sight and hanging out with some self-insert Mary Sue mod character instead.

But I'm glad I saw it. Let's see how the other endings go.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

Vorgen, I gotta respect how good you are at writing up these things. So far both endings look like very viable conclusions to (this chapter of) the narrative.

So what's the next strategy?

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

Not going to be too upset if the bunnies win, but Ending E is my personal favourite.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

A fitting end to (the first half of) a fantastic LP. Congrats, Vorgen, and I can't wait for BG2!

Also: Make sure party-member gibs aren't mod-restricted in Shadows of Amn. :getin:

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

By the way, those of you who voted for E? In my opinion, you missed the point of this LP. We are not here to watch a story reach its logical conclusion. There is no logic here. We are here to witness a person who has gone crazy from exposure to chaos and wild magic play a character who was insane to begin with. Story progression isn't what we are here for. We are here to watch an army of fluffy bunnies explode when provoked!

I like the organic narratives that LPs conjure up, that's why I read them. And I think Vorgen does the best job with that I've seen. I think both E and B were good endings which build on everything the LP's been about so far - E builds on the Golden Company and Syv's callousness, B builds on the themes of the Weave and Syv's power madness and exploitation of the rules of magic. I'm glad those two were the most-voted for, as they're honestly the two strongest conclusions.

Yes, I'm a huge nerd who takes this kind of poo poo too seriously, what of it

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

D. Also, can I say how great it is to have Shar-Teel back? A year or so ago, she practically defined this thread.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

What on Earth will happen to the plot if Imoen gets perma-gibbed in Icewind Dale?

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

All tomes to Shar-Teel. :buddy:

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

Viola the Mad posted:

B. I came for Baldur's Gate, not Icewind Dale. I've been looking forward to Chateau Irenicus!

Agreed. Irenicus must be getting really bored by now.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

2 votes to Merry Minsc.
1 vote Merry Breagar.
1 vote Merry Silver Star.
(She's terribly written, but she can't escape the dungeon on her own and I want to maximize the number of NPCs who survive.)
1 vote "split up" with Imoen. (a.k.a gently caress her. But I felt weird writing that with all the incest talk.)

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Wait, now that you have the Stone can't you go round up everyone, shove them in there for the time being to save them, and then go through with the voted team? That way we won't miss out on any lovely mod content.

This.

We need to maximize our terrible mod content, and honestly I don't see why Syv *wouldn't* do that now he has the Stone.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

Jazzimus Prime posted:

1, kick out Jaheira to make room for Mary-Sue.

Agreed. Why are people trying to kick out Worgas? He's been hilarious so far! He's too incompetent to copy spells correctly and he has a sidekick who casts constant random spells!

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

3, and dump Breagar in Shaundakul's shrine.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

Stay in the slums and bring down the slave trade.

+1 Frennedan.
+1 Willie Bruce.
+1 Worgas.
+1 Arath.

+1 Minsc, unless he's still bugged, in which case another +1 Frennedan.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

Right door, Streetfighter.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

1. Gavin was one of the better mod characters, though let's not delve into the weird stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

Add my A to the pile.

• Locked thread