Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
B, Xan. He's whiny.

I stumbled across this thread five days ago -- someone in another LP mentioned it as an example of successfully complex voting rules. The Oblivion LP here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543889, maybe? Anyway, I've been glued to it ever since, and I'm both thankful and disappointed to be up to date :) Maybe now I'll get to stop having BG LP narrative dreams! And yes, I've read everything. Even the Great Shar-teel Vote Wars of 2012.

Vorgen, you've put a truly heroic effort in getting this far, and it's kinda jaw-dropping to realize how much there still is to go. Reading the whole thing is like tackling a huge, demented page-turner of a novel. It's all crazy, but it's too much fun to care. Great Gods, some of those mods...

One thing that did interest me was the contrast in Syv's voice as a male and as a female. The character definitely felt different as a perma-woman -- a little more reflective and considerate. I've also been amused to spot one or two familiar faces from Bronzestabbed, which I've been lurking for a year now.

Anyhow, the main thing is just to thank you for the awesome ride. I look forward to being here for the rest of the haul!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
It seems to me that Baldur's Gate really fell into that sweet spot of game development where computers were powerful enough to justify a shed-load of content, but not capable enough that everything had to groan under time-intensive graphics and audio. A little earlier, and the machines just weren't up to that much content; a little later, and all the effort went to AV rather than narrative and setting.

That said, there are names that come up again and again when talking about Baldur's Gate and the RPG glory days -- Planescape: Torment, Anachronox, FF7, Fallout, Deus Ex, and so on -- but I'm not convinced any of them have as much sheer depth as the Bhaalspawn saga.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I often wonder how many LP hardware deaths are actually down to the OP getting bored or suddenly realizing how much damned work is involved... :cynic: :HmmWhyIsThereNoCynicalSmiley?:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Oh, sweet Gods. Xan is such a train-wreck.

Of course it has to be (1).

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Sheee-it. Put me down for 2 on Xavia being killed by something undead.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I just wanted to take a moment to say how much I love this thread.

<-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Much.

Thank you, Vorgen :D

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Syv for the tome. You always need more strength.
I'm sure that was undead lightning, dammit. I could see the bones peeking through! Mmmm. Bones...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Personally, I'd run screaming in the other direction. But then I often wonder why party members / sidekicks agree to follow the protagonist of a game.

Perhaps -- to get a bit Morrowind for a moment -- there's a spark of the divine in videogame protagonists that's absent from everyone else, and that spark is compulsive to a certain type of quasi-hero. Recognizing its absence in themselves, they're hopelessly drawn to it, like moths to the bonfire that devours them. Others, less driven to reach, never even notice the spark in the Protag, and carry on their hollow lives in peace. It must be the same impulse that compels a mountainhome to send out a team of Dwarves to die horribly in some hellish wilderness.

How else do you explain the meteoric rise of protagonists and their companions? Getting to Level 15 is the work of a lifetime, the mark of decades of mastery and intensive training -- except for the God-driven, who can do it in two weeks of schlepping around the forests without ever breaking a sweat.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Syv and Yes -- and thank you for the update, Vorgen :)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
It's surprisingly good to have Minsc and Imoen back in the main party. Makes it feel more like Baldur's Gate, somehow...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
The thing about the Chaotic Stupid alignments -- I tend to group NE and CN in there as well, for reasons that'll become clear in a moment -- is that they just don't work as racial traits. Sure, individuals, why not. There's enough ultra-hammy "Wow I'm so wacky and Eeeeevil" villains out there that pantomime/bad fanfic behavior is justifiable. But it's impossible to structure any sort of society on that basis; there are inherently anti-social constructs.

The thing about the Chaotic Stupid group is that it requires victims. Lots and lots and lots of victims. People to maim. People to murder. People to use to show just how damned Eeeeeevil you truly are. As soon as you force a bunch of unwilling grunts to obey you without killing (a) you; (b) each other; and (c) even weaker grunts, you've gone LE. That's a chain of command, backed up with force and cruelty.

A genuinely Chaotic Stupid society would involve everyone being fully entitled to pick on weaker people however they liked. It would quickly devolve into something like Lovecraft's "The Stars Are Right" -- everyone running around and raping and murdering and yadda yadda yadda in a gigantic orgy of death. There's nothing inherently impossible about that as a concept, until you start thinking about where your insane murderous nutters are going to come from. Even if you're a race that doesn't need any sustenance, so have no food and drink supply to worry about, there's still the issue of getting killed off. The only real way you could do it is if you had some sort of Valhalla deal going on, where every evening, all the dead get resurrected again for tomorrow's rampage party. As far as I remember, even the Abyss doesn't meet those stringent requirements.

From a DM point of view, the Chaotic Stupid alignments are mostly useful for identifying players who are going to be determined to be disruptive asshats.

Also, what's with the whole "True Neutral" thing? I mean, really? Way to roll a dozen totally different ideas together under one lumpy banner, Gygax.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
C, Syv, yes, HELL NO!, n/a.

(Nice update :) Thanks, Vorgen)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I couldn't decide which tactical option sounded more hilarious, so I rolled a d10, and hereby vote for Option 1. drat you, Chaos.

My three party member votes are:

1 to Imoen, because it just isn't BG without her;
1 to Squirrel, as our titular Spirit Mascot; and
1 to our coolest, most badass recruit of all: Black Bear. "With the power of Bear Monk, success is guaranteed" -- Confucius

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Personally -- as someone who read through about 150 pages in one slurp, at the beginning -- I love the insane hugeness and sprawling madness of this thread. I think it would be a crying shame to split it for BG2. Let the Mega-LP continue bringing much joy to naive young Goons for years to come!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

JustJeff88 posted:

All I am saying is that don't put all of your eggs in one basket (forum) and take precautions.

Is there something I'm missing?

As I understand it, if Vorgen starts a new thread, this thread will fall into the archives, and, possibly, eventually have its core posts extracted for lparchive.org by Baldurk. In the mean time, the new thread will stay in the main LP forum. If Vorgen disappears for any reason, then after a little while, the new thread will also fall into the archives.

On the other hand, if Vorgen does not start a new thread, this thread will stay in the main LP forum. If Vorgen disappears for any reason, then again, after a little while, this thread will fall into the archives and, if Baldurk so fancied, the BG1 part could have its core posts extracted for lparchive.org.

Either way, everything will end up in the archive (because Vorgen either finished or vanished), some stuff may or may not end up copied to lparchive, and if somethingawful goes down, we're all SOL. The only difference that I can see is that if Vorgen vanishes, the chances of the BG1 section being summarized to lparchive.org are somewhat smaller.

Or am I confused?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Incredible, Vorgen. Truly glorious. Everything that D&D should be :)

Also...

Minsc looks fahhbulous!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
That was awesome. It'd be insane to pick a canonical end without seeing all the options, of course. But somehow, a chaotic cluster-gently caress like that seems in the right spirit, at least. Having Squirrel recorded as a traitor seems like a painful blow, though :D

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
A glorious day for Demonkind!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Oh. My. MurderGod. :black101: :black101:

It's... it's beautiful.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Vorgen posted:

I'm still going to do the Golden Company Suicide Charge, and try to make the group fight work the way its supposed to.

Yeah, I am excited to see that possibility :)

In years to come, this will be one of the LPs spoken of in hushed tones of awe around lonely campfires, along with Boatmurdered and Chewbot's Animal Crossing.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Bunnies! Bunnies! It must be Buuuuunnies! :black101: Or maybe midgets.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Tzarnal posted:

End of an Era

... and the beginning of a longer, crazier era!

Vorgen, you kick rear end.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Vorgen posted:

Also, "Sarevok Romance" checked. Unsettling mode enabled.

o_O

This is going to get quite... random, isn't it.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Vorgen posted:

Ok, I'm trying to install it now. Wish me luck!

Godsspeed, you wonderful lunatic.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Vorgen posted:

DON'T WORRY we can still totally pick her up noooo problem. Just gotta finish Icewind Dale first.

Uh... Wow. :psyboom:

I'm not convinced Chaotic Neutral quite reflects the depths of Syv's eccentricity any more. Can we find a way to change that to Chaotic Chaotic? :)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Hm. I think D suits her best.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Mikl posted:

C looks nice.

Yeah, C is probably the nicest-looking one. I just can't imagine Shart-Eel as nice, y'know?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Tunicate posted:

The portrait that literally nobody wants

For some reason, it reminds me of Tori Spelling.

EDIT: Which doesn't seem inappropriate.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Where does that braid begin?

It springs forth, fully formed, from her pineal gland. Duhh.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
How does Syv even know this is real? I suspect, in his place, I'd go along with the Crazy just because -- to paraphrase Morpheus -- I expect to wake up.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I don't know why, but Oswald always reminded me of Neelix. I'd happily throttle the little sod.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
All tomes to Syv. The weave wills as the weave will. It is not given to us to doubt. Which is also why you should just leave Shar-Teel dead.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Vorgen posted:

edit: unless, uh... you all don't want to?

Maybe we could have a vote on whether or not to abandon Shar-Teel in the frozen past?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Murderization is Good. A, if plausible.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Shart-eel gibbed? By a companion? A male companion?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Rest in pieces, you loathesome old trout!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Tomes are a gift from the weave, showing the direction that it wants Syv to be leaning in for now. To put them aside is to deny the weave.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
B. You're suffering enough without being forced to fight the mod itself.

Also, all tomes to Syv.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Vorgen posted:

We, uh... We lost Dar. Like permanently.

Yay!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
So, Arundel mumbled that we had to take the gem to Lich-boy to save Kuldahar, which we did, and all we achieved was a tiny vision of an elf / dwarf statue. Then we went back to Kuldahar, got a "But thou must not!", and then were banished to... Candlekeep.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Tunicate posted:

And we didn't even have a chance to trade our squirrels for a lich.

Yeah, dammit. We were robbed! I want my lich-squirrels.

• Locked thread