Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

vilkacis posted:

SoA level gear as drops in early BG1 quests? Seriously? :doh:

Yeah when people talk about BG1 being difficult and ranged being king it's pretty much on the explicit assumption you don't find 18/00 strength gauntlets and a +3 sword that does 3d6 damage per hit with a permanent frost aura. Before chapter 3 no less. gently caress. gently caress!

For reference, the only other weapon that comes CLOSE to that in the entirety of the vanilla game is the longsword Varscona, which is just a +2 longsword with an extra d6 of cold damage. And THAT was plenty of an army destroying yadda yadda what Vorgen said.

I tried Big World and didn't like it because there was just too much stuff in it, however impressive it was as a collective achievement. But this just confirms to me it's broke to poo poo.

That staff would be useful if it dropped halfway through BG2. Christ.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

vilkacis posted:

It's not even that - unmodded Varscona is a +2 long sword with +1 cold damage.

I don't think BG1 even has a single regular +3 weapon outside the expansion, which only has a couple of "plain" ones with no special abilities. So yeah, those two weapons you just found at level 1 utterly outclass the poo poo I had to delve into the deepest pits of the Durlag's Tower basements to obtain.

:suicide:

Boots that give extra "high level" (for BG1) priest spells.

A spear that can hold enemies for four rounds.

A staff that has a considerable chance to do unavoidable 1/3'rd max hitpoints damage on top of an extra d6 of damage WITH NO SAVING THROW. To hell with future mage battles, that staff is a loving dragonslayer and it just got handed to Vorgen in a random house Beregost.

I mean the sword is pretty obviously powerful but that. loving. staff. I'm seeing that on an F/M/T build and just shaking my drat head all over.

Celestial Fury was one of the most boner-inducing munchkin-tastic weapons well into Throne of Bhaal and even that sword was just a +3 with stun and a chance to save.

How do you so clearly spend so much time working on a mod and spend so little time thinking how it might totally gently caress up the entire game.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 13, 2011

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I guess what I'm trying to say here is leave Ben Stiller dead, because you just got handed viable endgame loot and I don't mean Undercity endgame I mean The Literal Throne Of Bhaal endgame, so the least you could do in the name of keeping it sorta interesting is not take the guy who also gives the people holding that loot an extra attack per round before most of them get their second character level.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The Mage Hunter kit description is too hilariously halfassed to not vote for with the oneoff x-men reference turned into full fledged npc.

Tiax just sucks. More like Sucks...ax. Viconia is much better at everything we need a cleric for. And boy do we need a clvl3 cleric!

1. A

2. C

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 6, 2011

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Fighting Trousers posted:

Also this. Having a crappy rep may be fun from a roleplay standpoint, but it's a drain on party resources. Higher rep means lower equipment prices.

I'm pretty sure there's a component in the tweakpack which I can't imagine Vorgen isn't using that makes extremely low rep act the same on shopkeepers as extremely high rep. Which is how it always should have been, imo.

"Well normally this sword is 5,000 gold but for The Infamous Sword Coast Slasher I can take it to maybe... 18,000? Ehehehehe. Ehehehehehehehehehehehheheh."

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The basilisk and lighthouse areas are the best places in the base game to get out of frustrating early level limbo so A.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
C, an extra frontline tank who can use bows is useful now. A mediocre cleric far worse than the powerhouse viconia is becoming is not.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
For all I didn't care for BiG World myself, I gotta say with stuff like the Mutamin fight you do a great job showing what makes the game as a whole absolutely fantastic. Really tough, close tactical RPG fights like that are really awesome IMO, and if Mutamin got buffed that much then Mulahey and Davaeorn must be INSANE. :)

The only amendment I'd add myself is hacking in vanilla BG1 summons and removing the summon cap like the component in the D0Tweaks pack. There is nothing, NOTHING better than drowning your enemies in chaff. Brings a little RTS to the RPG.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
D. Shar-teel is finally doing work, and Gavin is consistently meh.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Anal Papist posted:

D I wasn't going to vote, but all the posters that are petrified of being bent over the nearest gnome by a strong warrior women have changed my mind.

Yeah, basically. The same forum that demanded--DEMANDED, mind you--coverage of the Sarelieth mod (official motto: "Excuse me, the word is ebebophilia thank you.") throughout the entire length of Shugojin's otherwise fine BG2 thread making the whole drat thing unreadable is freaking out at a few lines in each update from a character that'll get done away with in a few updates anyway once we get to balancing our frontline/backline.

There's shaking your drat head at poorly written but clearly tongue-in-cheek fanfiction and then there's just histrionics.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 20, 2011

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Folks complaining about the romance so far, our hero will have access to the following encounters in BG2, none much more than straight-up sex or flirtation, all courtesy of one mod:

Okay so the nymph makes sense because she's a nymph. Solaufein is probably embarassing as hell but a Drow getting Saved By Love isn't really unprecedented. Even Bhodi makes a loose kinda sense because she's a vampire and seduction is sorta vampires' Thing.

But what. The gently caress. Is the justification for the Sendai sex/flirt/romance thing?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The thing is while replacing Shar-Teel with Edwin would be good party/class balance-wise, Minsc and Edwin are both pretty loving rad characters that both get really really REALLY cool later in the series but WILL Do The Dew and kill each other right here and right now (and certainly by the time we find Dynaheir) unless we keep them way the gently caress away from each other.

Further complicating the situation is that the PC is a Wild Mage, which along with a PC Sorcerer is pretty much the only circumstance where passing up a hugely powerful single classed mage like Edwin for the remainder of a game where we'll be killing multiple demigods is at all sensible.

FURTHER complicating the matter is that if we're really looking at playing through the entire series, we could just recruit Korgan in BG2 who is more than Berzerker enough for anyone with the added bonus of jibing well with low-rep parties.

Voting A. Minsc will survive the loss of the unspectacular Dynaheir and come into his own later on, we're high enough level to drive onto the Gnoll Stronghold with just Shar-Teel, and if we need the tankyness sooner we can bring back Bub Snikt or Kagain for an update or two to pinch hit/stab as the case may be.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 22, 2011

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Holy moly Minsc is a 40 hitpoint monster for this early. Just don't kill Edwin, whatever you do. Please. :(

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The armor mod that hosed up AC's to be more "realistic" was ultimately That One Weird Thing that got me to uninstall the whole kit and kaboodle.

I dont give a gently caress what you say, plate mail is better protection than leather or the entire ingame taxonomy of Bad Armor -> Good Armor breaks down to the detriment of everyone not literally inside your head at that moment. Period. If you dont want to model that then don't Mod Things.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
+5 to Shar-teel

This thread is pretty when it cries...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
B for gently caress's sake. With all these mods XP for a dual class at level 7 is bursting out all over the place and an extra 25 skill points will never ever ever go amiss. Safana can hold it down in the meantime. You're pretty much past the point where you can slot out party members at-will in BG1, unless future playable NPCs scale really well to your current level.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Looks like 3 still kicks off the quest while also letting the PC act like the PC should, so voting that.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
+5 Minsc, NO rep drop.

Our only frontline HP in the current leaders (Sylvishtara) needs to be casting spells. We need a thing to hit things. Minsc is that thing.

No rep drop because that's stupid, stupids.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Shei-kun posted:

Well, we actually have lots of potential options for frontliners, but it's just that Minsc is pretty much a textbook example of one. Big, strong, tough, and touched in the head.

He also has a hamster for guidance and as an animal companion that may or may not be a Miniature Giant Space Hamster genetically engineered by gnomes to be pets based on the genetically engineered hamsters made to power their spelljammer ships with giant hamster wheels. Take that as you will.

I'll amend that slightly: We don't have any tanky non-PC options that right now stand a feasible chance of winning the voting barring a massive late surge for Kagain or something.

wait, Kagain is actually leading Minsc as of last count. Never mind then. What the hell??

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JGBeagle posted:

What's the max level for The first Baldur's Gate? Because I think that once a party member reaches max level, we should refrain from using them in lieu of leveling our other party members.

~161,000 xp with the ToTSC expansion, about half that without. That said: gently caress THAT. Theres enough content in the base game to hit the cap with most of the expansion content left.

If you don't want anyone overleveled for altered base content (which is understandable, although with SCS installed I really don't think is a huge worry. The Cloakwood mines get *nasty* with the SCS module) then vote to swap out leveled party members with lower level ones.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Shei-kun posted:

And that's the joke. You get to use whatever you want for a curse! It just has to have the same number of characters.

gently caress that poo poo, imho.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Boneless Jogger posted:

Vorgen has the item randomizer installed, doesn't he? Because that is probably part of the reason he's getting absurdly powerful weapons early.

At this point I wouldn't bat an eye if the Ring of Gaxx were found in a desk in some nameless Baldur's Gate apartment.

At least the other BS mods throw enough challenges at you that the mega-items are kinda necessary. If the Iron Throne mooks use the same rules as the Bandits in the camp, Cloakwood Mine is going to be a slaughter.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Shugojin posted:

If you just want her to distract things since they probably won't hit her with like -14 AC, sure. She won't be able to hit anything unless you switch one of those pips around to let her know how to use the scimitar without penalties.

The problem as I see it with that is that Vorgen is using SCS and unless Faldorn opens up with a major source of damage (like a potion of explosions or the ring of energy or call lightning or something) then an AC-14 druid isn't going to draw very much threat at all which kind of defeats the purpose of the whole "unhittable lightning rod" thing.

If a character isn't a Ranger then two weapon fighting really isn't a very useful DPS expansion for many, many levels and SCS AI is "smart" enough to prioritize the people killing them, not just the people in the front so until you're doing that damage its not going to do the thing we all want it to--shield Faldorn from attacks aimed at Faldorn.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah not (ab)using Coran's backstabs is a shameful waste. It probably wouldn't have made a huge difference in this particular fight considering who was dealing out what damage, but with a strength item or at least a big strength potion he's one of the best and most versatile npc's in vanilla BG1 and he probably could have taken a big bite out of that mage if not chunking him outright since with fire giant strength he'd likely be doing upwards of 40dmg on a stab.

Its a shame the sequel only gave him a bit part right before the end of the game.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Actually, uh, does Vorgen actually have enough to resurrect everyone who died?

At the moment? Nope!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Ahahahaha you're not even at the part of the mines that are REALLY packed with mooks yet. I knew this stretch up updates would rule, and they're delivering wonderfully so far.

Have you considered stashing gold in a container somwhere whenever you have a few thousand to spare? Maybe in the sancutary, if it has persistent containers? When you have a 1 in 100 chance of losing almost all of it that's not a terribly exploity thing to do, IMO.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Serifina posted:

Oh, hell, really?! No wonder I struggled with that drat fight when I was playing through. It took me, no joke, almost ten tries.

I'm impressed you were able to take a handful of battle horrors and a high-ish level mage teleporting every which way.

1, E. You aren't using enough level 3 spells to warrant Vic, but you could really use a low AC level 5 fighter with a heavy thing hitting people over the head in the next couple areas.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Tzarnal posted:

Even without mods Daevorn is a complete bitch to fight, teleport fields always seem to be way worse when the enemy is casting them, add all the additional monsters, his high caster level and SCS caster scripts and he become quite deadly.

Chapter 6 will probably be the biggest chapter, most of the sidequests ( Baldurs Gate Proper is 90% sidequest ) all happen in here. And man do we have sidequests to do. So many quests.

Yeah at this point in a vanilla game players often ask something like "how the hell am I going to get another 125,000 xp?" Baldur's Gate. You will find that XP and more in Baldur's Gate.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Level 11 in BG1 jeet christ A!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Garbageman posted:

Oh wow. So this place is that short in the original or am I missing something? :)

Yeah, Ulcaster and Firewine are basically Baby's First Dungeons with Firewine being marginally more involved. They give you a Macguffin and a mazelike hole in the ground so new players get a little practice with claustrophobic corridors and scouting with the party rogue and that's about it.

It's not until Chapter 6 and the Tales of the Sword Coast content that you begin to see real classic PnP D&D dungeons, the kind your party basically lives in for a week or two as you unravel the puzzles of the place.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Garbageman posted:

Man - I really wish I had kept up with the game, then. Just build it out slowly, Vorgen's LP is great though and he's adding so much with the narrative he's built with Syv.

If you gave up before Chapter 5 then you seriously missed out. Its rough as hell by design in early levels. The Nashkel mines are kind of tedious, clearing the bandit camp is pretty neat especially if you have a bunch of summons to sweep the area clear, pushing through Cloakwood is like taking a full course in Combat Hell 101, and the whole thing generally feels kind of loose and inconsistent. I have my gripes with BWP, but the modders try to fill in the gaps which is to their credit.

But after all that wandering around and scraping and saving money and magical items and stuff, you get to the titular urban hub of the Sword Coast and it's such a shocking contrast to the rest of the game and you can't throw a brick without hitting three or four interesting things to do and they all shower you with either magic items that exponentially increase your power, or money to buy the items to exponentially increase your power while the story and objectives get a LOT more focused. It's a transition no other game has done quite as well IMO, and is the exact point where BG1 goes from a sort of okay-ish but not great western CRPG to the game that's absolutely classic and worth gushing praise over.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Hope the rings and amulets were worth it, Firebead...

Once you're high enough level to memorize Raise Dead you're gonna save so much money...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Wait, can you actually cast restoration on project images?

And if you can, won't the spell slots still be unfilled?

The same trick works for simulacra, which gets a little insane in base BG2 with Vhailor's Helm opening Simulacrum to fighter-types. Even in the absurd SCS "improved" fights there is very little that can stand up to a full round of two Keldorns wielding Carsomyr.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
At least you'll be more or less clear of the pre-BG content once you polish off Ulcaster and Firewine, unless after Ulcaster the thread votes to head off there anyway.

In the base game there isn't anything in Firewine or Gullykin remotely close to your current gear but using the rest of BWP as a guide there'll probably be a ghostly specter carrying the Celestial Fury or something.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'd vote Strength for Yeslick since its just painful to see him encumbered. Give the wisdom tome to Viconia and make her even more broken than she gets later on.

Also that update was hugely entertaining. 2 Wands of Fire... me gusta...

Also: 'DAT RING

e; bolding

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 26, 2012

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Potions of insight last for six hours. For the purposes of Limited Wish, there's your Wisdom for you <:geno:>

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
If we find another six wisdom tomes after this one it still won't be enough to keep us from using potions of insight to scrape by everything requiring a WIS check which outside of Limited Wish is almost nothing. Pumping Syv's Wisdom up from 3 to 4 (or assuming we find another six wisdom tomes after this, 3 to 10) instead of the sixteen or so needed to pass the not-quite handful of BG2 dialogue checks and Wish options is just throwing the tome away without literally putting it back on the ground.

If we're talking thematically appropriate, then her WIS should remain 3 on principle.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
B. Easy.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I love demon summoning spells. They attack everything that isn't covered by Protection from Evil and you don't get a rep hit when the cacofiend you summoned in the common room of a tavern slaughters a dozen innocent people and the bartender. Having access to demons in advance of the final fight of BG1 is going to be insanely cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Vorgen posted:

Ok, I looked it up. The specific effects it has are:
    * Casting failure, target self, bypass resistance, probability 100%.
    * Constitution bonus, target self, 50%
    * Non-detection, target self

Hahaha wow, give that to Kagain and he'd regenerate stupidly fast and gain 30hp a level. Sure it'd be cursed, but with 30 freakin' CON why would you ever take it off?

• Locked thread