Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Plus Sarevok. Don't forget Sarevok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cythereal posted:

Sarevok isn't a male elf.

It's still a terrible idea for a mod. It actually sounds more offensive to me than the Imoen romance mod.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

NihilCredo posted:

^^^^ In partial defence, IWD2 features the city of Kuldahar which has the same magical-warming shtick, although yeah, when phrased like that it's definitely talking of Neverwinter.

They're the same place, but it's called Arvanaith as the elven afterlife, Arvandor as the home of the elven gods.

I'm a bit rusty on 2nd ed. D&D mechanics, but was Xan really the best beneficiary of that tome? The biggest advantage of a high Constitution is extra HP, but those don't kick in until you're past 10 anyway.

2nd edition is way wonkier than that. Xan had 7 constitution previously. 7-14 constitution give a +0 bonus to hit points. Unless his Con had been 6 or less or 14 or greater using this item on him would be useless. The only thing that might mitigate this is that there might be some mod which makes the stats use 3rd edition values. If that is the case, than this did help Xan a little, albeit only after he levels up.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

NihilCredo posted:

Does Con affect anything else in 2nd ed.? Saving throws, that kind of thing?

I think saving throws are dependent on level and class in 2nd edition. I don't think there is a stat component.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Pangolin Poetry posted:

no, you definitely get bonuses to saves from stats. save vs. spells, for examples, gets buffed by having a WIS of 15

It sure as hell doesn't mention it in the manual. Not that I'm doubting you. Con should logically give you a bonus on save vs. death, but second edition was weird so... maybe?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Longinus00 posted:

Yes it is in the manual.

The BGII manual? It certainly doesn't. The section about saving throws in there says saves improve with level, and they are modified by magic items, armor, and spells. It says nothing about stats contributing to saving throws. I know there are a lot of little rules not covered not covered in the manual, which is why I said it was likely Pangolin Poetry was right. That's not even counting what mods have changed as well.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ubern00b posted:

I just wanted to say this is an absolutely awesome LP, which got me to buy BG I & II from GOG as I can't find my old CD's, and download the Big World Project. The latter is of course impossible to get to work properly in under 30 minutes (might just be my retardation), but I'll get it running someday.

I've never successfully gotten it to work in any less than three hours, not counting mod downloads.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Imaduck posted:

When I tried that awhile ago it basically just told me it couldn't find anything, installed like, 2 mods, and said it was done. I gave it an hour or two of fiddling with it and finally just gave up.

But hey, I reinstalled Windows about a month ago, so maybe I can give it another go.

The current version of Big world Setup is really out of date. You should definitely use the .bat installer. The Setup will download most of the mods but you'll have to manually download a lot of them. Basically, any mod that has had its file size change since the last Setup was instituted. There is an updated setup(I think), but I can no longer find it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mr_Ham97 posted:

That's not going to happen. The mod took me about 3-4 hours just to download and prep, especially since I had to hunt for the ones that couldn't be downloaded manually. Installing took even longer. You could just try having it install all night, but when I did it there was one time that I had to press a button to continue and it was only halfway done.

Yeah, it will take at least five hours at the minimum to download and install, and that's if you have a very fast CPU and internet connection. More likely is the install taking 7-10 hours. I've had it install in seven hours before, and I had an okay system and decent internet.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Miss Hime posted:

I believe all the BG1 NPC romance mods continue regardless of whether they're in the party or not. It will just queue all the love talks up for when he comes back into the party. With that in mind I think it's worth getting a mix of NPCs in the group and continuing with the 'you die, you get out' rule.

Yeah Xan isn't really mad at you, that NPC conversation was just a "don't be a dick or he'll leave" trap.

Voting 2, mostly because Xan is being a tease.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

markus_cz posted:

No! You must not run the .exes!* This will ruin your installation. What are you telling him to do, Vorgen?!

The only file you are supposed to run is the BWP install .bat file - all others will be run manually by the installer which knows what features to install and which not to.

Taking it to PMs now. I just wanted to loudly deny Vorgen's suggestion.

--
* Not in the game directory, anyway. Running them in the empty directory with just mods won't hurt - actually most would be run automatically upon unpacking but do nothing because then can't find the game.

I think he meant have the batch file run them from there.

Also it is possible to manually install this...but I don't recommend it at all. There is a lot of stuff involved with doing that and it is really loving easy to screw things up. Also the installation requires a setup file that is only compiled by the batch file. You have to know exactly what you are doing in order to get it to work, even with that giant pdf. Long story short, if you can't get the .bat file to work, you probably would screw up a manual install.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I gotta go with Dervish, it sounds pretty fun

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Well they have something coming out, and whatever it is, it's drat cryptic.
http://youtu.be/wpPU-MtBqrA

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tithin Melias posted:

Not a legit video by the beamdog dude.

Haha so I see....well that makes sense.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hit dice are how many hit point "rolls" a character or NPC has made. At level one you've rolled for hit points once, at level two twice. It only applies to your character if you actually roll it, but Monsters are just assumed to have the hit dice assigned to them. It's often confused with level. A level 6 fighter has six hit dice, but a level six fighter dual classed to level 2 thief also has six hit dice. A lot of spells refer to it because it deals with the number and strength of enemies you can deal with. If a spell affects six hit dice worth of characters, than it can influence six one hit dice NPCs(level ones or weak monsters), 3 two hit dice NPCs, 2 three hit dice NPCs or 1 four/five/six hit dice NPCs. However it could not affect an eight hit dice NPC. After a certain point your characters stop gaining hit dice, meaning instead of rolling for new HP you just add you CON bonus plus 1 to your HP. In a lot of ways it is used like a fake level designator for monsters, who don't really have experience levels.

sweet geek swag fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 1, 2012

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sejs Cube posted:

Man, you aren't wrong. Welcome to Restenford - quiet fishing village and also the most prosperous magical hub in the northern realms. But mostly fishing village, honest.

That's the point of this thread isn't it? To see all these ridiculous mods. As far as I'm concerned the more overpowered Syvishtara gets the better. At least as far as the point of this LP goes.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Anal Papist posted:

Yeah time to give Imoen the boot!

Imoen is awesome and should be in the party at every possible opportunity. Basically, if we aren't going to be having Minsc in our party at all possible times, we should be having Imoen. The only problem with Imoen is that she doesn't have decent SOA interrupts like most of the other original NPC's do, though BP may have changed this. Not that I particularly like the emo Imoen you get in SOA. Her TOB stuff is pretty interesting though. Plus, if we stop using Imoen, we might not get to play with the legendarily terrible Imoen Romance mod.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

sebzilla posted:

Yeah man, who doesn't want to hear about Imoen getting raped by Duergar

Wow, that sounds pretty terrible. Which is exactly the reason I want to see this poo poo in the LP. The whole point of this LP is to showcase these mods in their full godawful glory.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Vorgen posted:

Oh. C:\BGII - SoA\ImoenRom\. Its there. Ok then. We're going to have to prepare for duergar rape. And some additional dreams that we have about Imoen. But I'm not changing Syvishtar(a)'s character flow or reloading the game just to make sure the mod happens, so you might not get to see it.

Oh I don't want to see all of it. I just think it's important everyone know how terrible it is. Because it's really loving terrible. To be honest when I first heard of the mod I could not believe it existed. Obviously there is a TON of poo poo we won't be getting to in this game because, let's face it, with all the mods installed, it's loving huge.

Oh yeah and Bub Snikt is decent NPC, but he has very little dialogue.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mr_Ham97 posted:

Not necessarily. I know I didn't install it as it's incompatible with the Imoen Friendship mod but I still have that folder. I don't know how BWP works but there should probably be some log file somewhere that says what mods got installed.

If you go through the big PDF and install everything manually it has you install the romance mod instead of the friendship one. However this might depend on which version of BWP you are working with. When I was doing my manual install this was one of two mods I seriously considered not installing. I bet you can't guess what the other one was.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I think it has to do with the fact that the closest thing the PC has to family once Gorion is dead is Imoen. Vorgen's comment about the kid-sister vibe also applies here. But part of it has to do with the way BGII played out for me. When the Cowled Mages kidnap Imoen it was more than enough of a motivation for me to want to go rescue her. She was my PC's adorable best friend after all. When I discovered she was my PC's half sister it just cemented the way I thought about Imoen in my mind. The idea that my PC would have a sexual relationship with Imoen was ridiculous to start with, the sister part just reinforced it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Fighting Trousers posted:

It's the informed Westermark effect, basically. The relationship vibe is a childhood friend/sibling in all but name, so adding a sexual component to that just feels icky.

Let's not forget:

Oh hey, you've got deep-seated daddy issues and I remind you of your sister? Let's make out!

(I'm not an Anomen hater by a long shot, but there's a reason there are so many mod love interests for a female PC)

Yeah this has always bugged me a little. If my PC romanced Aerie it felt like I was taking advantage of her, romancing Jaheira was like romancing an aunt, Viconia was obviously the "have easy sex" choice, and Anomen was too much of an rear end to take seriously. It was neat that they included the idea, but Bioware has never been very good with it's romances.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ETB posted:

I don't know, IIRC Viconia's romance was my favorite because sometimes not sleeping with her was the correct path to continue the romance. :ssh:

True, but she was the only one you could sleep with before completing the romance. She did have the best romance in TOB though. They actually managed to slip some character development in there! Also, now that I think of it, in SOA there was no way to get a good ending to Viconia's relationship.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ETB posted:

I'm pretty sure you can end staying together, I remember because I cheated by triggering the conversations with manual commands all the way to the end, haha.

The relationship ends with an event where Lloth sends a bunch of demons after Viconia. Once this event hits I'm pretty sure Viconia will always break up with you, though she continues traveling with you and she will pick the relationship up again in TOB.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

C. Bald Hill we are playing Baldur's Gate after all.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Snicker-Snack posted:

Phaulkon is a Greyhawk god, isn't he?

We are near the "road" to Sigil so it's possible someone came from Greyhawk. Or the modder hosed up. Either or.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Brainamp posted:

So, it was just one big mod/expansion stunt?

No

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/107296-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-announced.html

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That...that explains a lot actually. I figured that their had to be a story there, but this is pretty crazy.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sejs Cube posted:

Yeah, put me in the group of folks who doesn't know who Saerilith is.

So, uh, who dat?

JG Beagle is correct, she is indeed the romanceable 15 year old. It's a really terrible mod, not quite Imoen Romance bad, but still pretty bad. The Saerilith mod is in many ways the poster child of bad BG2 mods. It's stupid and creepy, and it's authors were dedicated enough to it to finish the TOB content, something VERY few NPC mods accomplished. All in all we should probably sample the mod than make her die in some horrible fashion. I don't particularly support going through the romance, but I have no idea what sort of content it contains. For some reason, as a normal person, I've never felt the need to have my character romance the 15 year old girl.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tithin Melias posted:

Elemental. plane. of. bees.

That was the best moment in that LP.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cythereal posted:

Nothing. You can be hilariously cruel to her only if you're eligible for the romance. Unless S picks up 5 points of Charisma between now and then, Saerileth will already be happily engaged and impervious to any sort of emotional harm.

So wait. Saerilith is not only annoying, holier than thou, and ultra-prudish, but she's incredibly shallow as well? You know what? I'm more than okay not romancing her. In fact we should just kill her on sight.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cythereal posted:

Branwen and Shar-Teel aren't supposed to romance women, either. :p I assume there's some trickery going on behind the scenes.

I'm not sure I'd call her ultra-prudish, considering some of her alternate portraits have her in her underwear and she pumps out seven or eight kids in the romance epilogues...

But yes, the more obnoxious mod NPCs tend to fall into two categories: thin characterization and minimal personalities (Chloe, Kiara) or have way too much "character" that gets stuffed in your face at every opportunity (Saerileth, Kelsey).

I say she is prudish because if you ask her to have sex with you before you get married she dumps you. It's not even like, "No silly, of course I won't do that. Now don't bring it up again." She just dumps you.

The reason Branwen and Shar-Teel are romancing S is that those romance scripts started when S was still a man. Xan's romance script started after S gender shifted.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The magic is telling me...kill the whiny girl.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

sebzilla posted:

Seriously we're not even half way through BG1 yet.

I'm just fantasizing about killing terrible NPC's because we couldn't kill Sir Billybob.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mordaedil posted:

I wasn't expecting it to be BG3, but I was sort of hoping it would maybe tidy up the game to it better and current generation-friendly, perhaps improve the engine with zoom-capability, reduce the intrusiveness of the interface, ease the use of spellcasting from the Neverwinter Nights series, and so on.

All in all, not what I was expecting.

I guess you were hoping for a remake of the original, rather than a re-release with updated graphics and content. That's legit, but I think that would have been a very risky venture. You really can't use zoom in an engine based on sprites. In BG2 you could hide the interface if you wanted and play based off of function keys, the only feature you'd need to add to make this current-gen friendly is key remapping. I really don't think you can mess with gameplay mechanics without risking drastically changing the quality of the game. The sorts of changes you are proposing would have necessitated a lot of time effort and money. The whole point of this project seems to be to drastically improve the existing game on the cheap, while raising money for BG3.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Serifina posted:

Um... you can already do that.

Wow I didn't know that. I'll have to look that up next time I play.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

B. The extra skill points will make her useful as a thief for the entire game while the extra movement will let her run away from things that will pound her.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Brainamp posted:

It's understandable. Some of it sounds too good to be true and the price is still up in the air.

Yeah, much as I want to play this, I don't want to pay 60 bucks for it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sejs Cube posted:

Or, and just hear me out here -

Harvey.

Yes. This must happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Fruits of the sea posted:

There's an option in the BGT tweak pack to cap XP around level 8, so maybe? It's probably going to come down to one very high level wild mage and a pack of underlevelled npcs as cannon fodder.

I'm pretty sure BWP removes the XP cap.

• Locked thread