Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"I don't have pet peeves, I have major loving psychotic hatreds." - George Carlin

"...you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad." - Morpheus

This thread may be a little bit too PYF-style, but hopefully I (and posters after me) can generate enough content to make this interesting.

Every once in a while, there's a moment in a movie that bugs the crap out of me. usually it's something small, insignificant, and my rational mind is already brushing it off, rationalizing, or justifying it. But the irrational, nitpicky, :spergin: portion of the human brain lights up like a christmas tree. It may ruin the film for you, it may be part of one of your otherwise-favorite films of all time, it doesn't matter: the moment/thing sticks in your memory. Your friends know not to mention it, because you're fully capable of going into a rant about it.

It can be either a small scene in a movie, a cliche in a genre, an ending, whatever. Use spoilers if its reasonable to.

Here are a few examples of mine that I've prepared in advance:

Zombies as Wrecking Crews

I like zombie movies. Generally speaking I perfer the modern "fast" zombie, but there's always a special place in my heart for the classic Romero Zombies. It's easy to see why: they leave you alone until they notice you. After that, they never stop following you. They aren't hunting you in the classic sense, they are simply displacing you. They are weak, but that doesn't stop them from being a threat.

They can also break down a door in 1.2 seconds. Wait, what? Cue the classic needle-on-a-record-player noise.

It happens in almost every Romero Zombie film. Well, maybe not every one, but enough that when I see it, it drives me up the wall. It's like this conversation happens in my brain:

Movie: So yeah, the dead are rising.
Bib's Brain: Coolio. Eating the flesh of the living, despite no need for sustinence?
Movie: You got it. Oh, and the living are bone-stupid, that fine?
Bib's Brain: Fair enough. Anything else?
Movie: Well, there's this scene where a zombie puts his fist through a house's outside door.
Bib's Brain: :supaburn: JESUS gently caress MOST DOORS ARE HARD TO OPEN LIKE THAT! EVEN DUMBASSES ON YOUTUBE HAVE TROUBLE DOING IT! ZOMBIES DON'T HAVE THAT LEVEL OF CONTROL I CANNOT ACCEPT THIS :supaburn:

I know why it happens in the zombie films, but it's the prime example inspiring this thread. It's a completely justified thing from a push-the-narrative-forward method. But gaaaah, it tweaks me off in an irrational way.

The Mist's Ending: Something In The Background

This one talks about The Mist's Ending, so I'll spoiler it. The ending of The Mist has the Core Protagonists escaping into the mist in a car. When they run out of gas, they realize that they are screwed, and they don't have enough bullets to kill each other. The Main Protagonist winds up shooting everyone but himself, including his son. Running into the mist to die, he's discovered by a tank, and the military is purging the mist and its creatures.

But look at this video of the finale What's that white thing in the background? I don't 100% know, but my first impression (which has stuck with me) is that it's one of those pre-fabricated military building. It turned the ending from "Oh, the military was behind them the whole time!" to "Oh, they drove through an impromptu military base for that long stretch of road, and nobody noticed!" Like the FedEx arrow, I'm never going to not see it, and even if someone posts here saying "Oh, it's a big white turd", I'll still see it as what I thought it was.

These are just two, but I'm sure you've had these too: moments that bring out the sperg in you.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Sep 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I have a real "Comic Book Guy" doozy here that's perfect for this thread.

Two scenes in the first Iron Man get under my skin a lot more than they probably should.

---------------------------------------

1. When Stark flies out of the cave in his Mark 1 armor he shoots like a rocket through the air and lands in a sand-dune legs up to the sound of a trombone going "wah waaaaaah" that never actually goes off.

2. When he's trying out the Mark II armor he flies really really high and falls what looks like a quarter mile straight down onto his car. Cue a maintenance robot shooting him with a fire extinguisher to the same trombone going "wah waaaaahh."

In both cases Stark should be liquid goo inside of a tin suit, especially since both were prototypes and didn't likely have all the unobtanium safety measures the "full" armor does to keep him alive in a fistfight with Hulks and giant death robots.

Seeing these moments took me straight out of the movie and had me groaning, and to this day piss me off.

------------------------------------------

It always pissed me right off that for a movie that goes so far out of its way to portray the characters and situation as realistically as they can, and does so for 98% of the picture, they pretend that the human body can somehow withstand massive amounts of punishment for a cheap laugh that could have been achieved without sacrificing the laws of physics.

Before some chucklefuck thinks they're dismissing my point by saying the old "You care in a movie where the main character has rocket boots and flies at supersonic speeds?" or "It's just a comic book movie" line so old it has moth holes in it, hear me out:

It's not that the laws of physics are broken that bothers me. I expect the laws of physics to be bent in order for the conceit of a superhero to work, the same way I expect Spider-man to stick to walls, Wolverine to have claws retracted in his forearms, and Superman to fly.

I also expect a movie to recognize the upper limit of punishment you can expect a technology-enhanced human to take and not cross it without showing serious consequences. You don't even see Stark complaining about his back or with bruises/scars on his face, it's just cheap schtick for the sake of schtick. It's incongruous with the physics the rest of the movie has--the bending of reality to allow for flight and repulsor rays included--to show that a relatively normal human man can take such abuse and not get hurt.

What makes Iron Man egregious opposed to any other major Superhero flick made in the last several years is that it's the only one who pulls poo poo like that.

In The Incredible Hulk when Blonsky gets drop-kicked by the Hulk he's put into serious traction, even if he heals quickly due to super-soldier serum plot device bullshit.

In Thor we don't know the physiology of the Asgardians but we can see that they're extremely powerful relative to humans, so it stands to reason they could take a ton more direct abuse.

In the Dark Knight Bruce is put out by freaking attack dogs.

In Captain America you see ordinary people taking abuse but never far past basic suspension of disbelief-- i.e: no one is put in a situation where your mind snaps out of the movie's atmosphere and goes "they would be loving dead if that actually happened--with perhaps the sole exception being Bucky towards the end for plot device reasons and the situation is played as his death anyway because for the most part it really is.

I know it's irrational to give a poo poo, but even after all these years it still pisses me right off.

It's on the same level as "The fridge" in Indy 4, which is stupid for very similar reasons.

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro
The first few minutes of "The Village." After those first few minutes I kept saying to myself "well hey, it's 1995" throughout the whole movie. Then the ending. I still want those two hours of my life back.

edit: The thing is that I actually liked the movie. It just loving infuriates me that they gave the game away as early as they did.

TED BUNNDY has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Sep 5, 2011

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Eat_A_Bowl_Of_Dick posted:

The first few minutes of "The Village." After those first few minutes I kept saying to myself "well hey, it's 1995" throughout the whole movie. Then the ending. I still want those two hours of my life back.

I haven't seen this movie in forever. Is there some super obvious clue that gives the ending away in the beginning?

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro

the Bunt posted:

I haven't seen this movie in forever. Is there some super obvious clue that gives the ending away in the beginning?

I only watched it that one time, so I'm paraphrasing, but it was all that talk about how "the outside world has guns and crime and blah blah blah." The first thing that came to my mind was "so it's 1995."

A bunch of people I've talked to have told me that they didn't draw that conclusion from the opening, but I sure did and I was highly disappointed that it was the twist ending. I think that if the opening sequence was cut it would be a movie I totally love.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

mind the walrus posted:

2. When he's trying out the Mark II armor he flies really really high and falls what looks like a quarter mile straight down onto his car. Cue a maintenance robot shooting him with a fire extinguisher to the same trombone going "wah waaaaahh."

Umm, he fell through his roof, from the height of his roof in that scene. You are misremembering it but he clearly comes to a stop just above his roof before he falls through it.

The first scene was more "unbelievable" in this sense though.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Eat_A_Bowl_Of_Dick posted:

I only watched it that one time, so I'm paraphrasing, but it was all that talk about how "the outside world has guns and crime and blah blah blah." The first thing that came to my mind was "so it's 1995."

A bunch of people I've talked to have told me that they didn't draw that conclusion from the opening, but I sure did and I was highly disappointed that it was the twist ending. I think that if the opening sequence was cut it would be a movie I totally love.

I don't think that's the films fault to be honest, I mean that description could refer to any time when guns and crime existed - ie. way earlier than 1995.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I watched Hobo With A Shotgun today. I was irrationally bothered by the fact that they seemed to think that 10,000% color saturation = Technicolor! I found it sort of glib and sort of insulting to anyone who really took the time to make something beautiful in a medium that is not at all easy to work with.

Not to mention it was just ugly as poo poo.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Not to mention it was just ugly as poo poo.

Pretty sure that was the point of the colourisation in Hobo, though. It's not there to look pretty, it's there to look wretched as gently caress. The Hobo hasn't entered a nice city, he's entered a dayglo nightmare.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't think Hobo looked like that because they were trying to emulate Technicolor. I think it was more because they were trying to emulate direct to VHS type stuff.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well they should have just left the Technicolor thing out.

To be honest I just found the tone to be leering and condescending - there was nothing about it that showed real appreciation for those who had gone before. I didn't mind the movie itself but the "retro" trappings were just insulting. I had the distinct impression it had been made by some arrogant 19 year old who is just a little too hip for his own good.

I realize I'm not going to find a lot of friends with an opinion like this but hey - it's not the rational irritant thread. :v:

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, I don't think Hobo looked like that because they were trying to emulate Technicolor. I think it was more because they were trying to emulate direct to VHS type stuff.

Well if they'd ever actually seen a VHS tape they would have desaturated it slightly and added some video fuzz. Also they had a bogus Technicolor logo in the opening credits. I didn't just pull that one out of my rear end you know.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mind the walrus posted:

I have a real "Comic Book Guy" doozy here that's perfect for this thread.

Two scenes in the first Iron Man get under my skin a lot more than they probably should.

I was more pissed with the "Congratulations, you have just created a new element" scene in the sequel. I saw it with my labmates and we all wordlessly looked at each other when that line came out. I was already unenthused by the movie at that point, but that moment just absolutely killed it for me.

I can suspend disbelief well enough through a hokey "cue the rock music" hard work montage- and I'm particularly forgiving with Iron Man, since that's all it basically is. But to cap off a sequence of RDJ flexing his pecs, getting sweaty, and wrenching on some tubing with a robot going, "Congratulations, you have just created a new element" is like going "gently caress YOU, audience!".

But in a similar vein to your particular complaints, I remember my YouTube-obsessed physics professor giving my intro class the following bonus question on an exam:

"Observe the following two clips and tell me what's wrong with them."

The clips in question were:

-the scene in Burton's Batman where the dark knight falls down the side of a presumably normal building for about 2 and a half minutes.
-the scene in Goldeneye (or maybe Tomorrow Never Dies?, it's not like any Brosnan Bond film is worth remembering) where an airplane falls off a cliff and Bond goes chasing after it on foot, leaps off the side, and somehow accelerates his fall in such a way as to catch up with the plane, get into the cockpit, and fly it out of danger- all in about a minute and a half.

trilobite terror has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Sep 5, 2011

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've mentioned this before… For me, the Tremor Brothers offing the bounty hunters 20 minutes into Smokin' Aces ruined the movie and irritated the living gently caress out of me. I don't even know why; I'm not a big Ben Affleck fan by any stretch of the imagination. I think it's because that scene heralded the plot heating up and escalating, and that's exactly what didn't happen for what I think was the next hour. Also, Hollis' recovery just seemed poorly done in every way. I also thought it was the least interesting characters killing off the most interesting characters, and anticlimactically at that. From there on, everything about the movie seemed haphazard and under-thought-out.

Smokin' Aces is my idea of missed potential. It had a good cast, interesting costume designs, and distinctive cinematography, but the script and the pacing just completely sunk the whole thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

-the scene in Goldeneye (or maybe Tomorrow Never Dies?, it's not like any Brosnan Bond film is worth remembering) where an airplane falls off a cliff and Bond goes chasing after it on foot, leaps off the side, and somehow accelerates his fall in such a way as to catch up with the plane, get into the cockpit, and fly it out of danger- all in about a minute and a half.
That was the beginning of Goldeneye. Despite the absurdity, it doesn't bother me much because it's a Bond movie, and you could spend 10 days listing all the incredibly absurd Bond movie plot devices.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I was more pissed with the "Congratulations, you have just created a new element" scene in the sequel. I saw it with my labmates and we all wordlessly looked at each other when that line came out. I was already unenthused by the movie at that point, but that moment just absolutely killed it for me.

I can suspend disbelief well enough through a hokey "cue the rock music" hard work montage- and I'm particularly forgiving with Iron Man, since that's all it basically is. But to cap off a sequence of RDJ flexing his pecs, getting sweaty, and wrenching on some tubing with a robot going, "Congratulations, you have just created a new element" is like going "gently caress YOU, audience!".

But in a similar vein to your particular complaints, I remember my YouTube-obsessed physics professor giving my intro class the following bonus question on an exam:

"Observe the following two clips and tell me what's wrong with them."

The clips in question were:

-the scene in Burton's Batman where the dark knight falls down the side of a presumably normal building for about 2 and a half minutes.

I just picture this discussion happening in a classroom and then some guy wearing sunglasses and a muscle t-shirt kicks the door in and then yells "NERDS!" while punching out the teacher.

JerksNeedLoveToo
Nov 12, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Lots of James Bond 'science' horseshit

Let me direct your attention to what I feel is the single most mind-blowingly infuriating scene in any James Bond movie. I give you the final fight in The World is Not Enough.

If you haven't seen that steaming pile of crap, let me describe this utterly stupid scene for you:

James Bond and Big Badguy's Henchman duke it out in the nuclear reactor of a sinking submarine. Now I know what you're thinking. "Surely Jerks means that they are dueling in the control room or engine room, not inside the reactor itself." No, what I mean is that at one point, these two are hitting each other with fuel rods they pulled out of the operational reactor with their bare hands.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Despite the absurdity, it doesn't bother me much because it's a Bond movie, and you could spend 10 days listing all the incredibly absurd Bond movie plot devices.

Agreed, but some of the Bond films are particularly egregious. In fact, you should check out IMDB's goofs page for The World is Not Enough. It's two loving pages long, single-spaced. My personal favorite notation:

Factual errors: Numerous scientific liberties taken regarding radioactive substances and nuclear reactors.

That's like saying Dawn of the Dead contains numerous liberties regarding the actions a dead person can take.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
If we're going to get started on James Bond then I might as well post something stupis that's annoyed me about the Connery films for years. Where exactly to SPECTRE get all their funding from? I can understand how they probably managed to scrape together funds to start a bauxite mine and an underwater army. But after both of those failed pathetically, how the gently caress did they manage to scrape together enough loose change to build a gigantic secret base in a volcano?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm irrationally angered by historical films that are not historical. I know it's stupid, especially when I can easily enjoy Conan The Barbarian or whatever, but when they go "...and so Emperor Nero totally did this thing that never ever happened..." it really pisses me off.

In Braveheart, they leave Stirling Bridge out of the battle of Stirling Bridge. Why? That was a good story. Especially the part about William Wallace having one of the English lords flayed and using his skin a a baldrick :black101:

In Gladiator, pretty much everything about the fighting is just plain loving wrong. It's not like gladiatorial combat wasn't actually interesting and cinematic (I mean, that was kind of the whole loving point), but they have to dress it up in bullshit.

Don't even start me on U-571. Yes, the Americans captured the Enigma Device and won the war. loving please.

I like fantasy and even sort-of-historical-fantasy (Inglorious Basterds and 300 come to mind), but when you're getting it completely loving wrong without clearly doing it on purpose, you're pissing me off. Probably because I'm a gigantic whiny history nerd.

I know it sounds funny to say "300 was fine and Braveheart was not" but one's clearly fantasy (retelling a comic book that's retelling a legend that's broadly based on something some guys did) and one's going "this totally happened". I think it's the tone that upsets me somehow.

Elector_Nerdlingen has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Sep 5, 2011

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
One of my recent pet peeves was the ending of Angels and Demons. I was really enjoying the movie, right up until the ending twist which just made no sense.

There was no reason for Ewan Mcgregor to request Tom Hank's assistance. The whole plot was a false flag operation set up by Ewan to help him ascend to the papacy. He arranged for the bombing threat and arranged for them to find the bomb at the last minute so he could save the day. So why bring Tom Hanks into it at all? He was never meant to solve anything. The book actually makes it worse, as they basically fail to accomplish anything and then the Carmelengo has a fake seizure and claims he had a vision from God showing him where to find the bomb. Either way, he didn't need Tom Hanks, he just needed to screw around with the authorities until the last minute, as they were never intended to succeed anyway.

Also, the way he created the time limit in which to attempt to save each papal candidate made no sense. They had to die as a part of his plan, there was no intention of them surviving. So why not just kill them all right away? Make a fake deadline if you want, but why go through the trouble of keeping them alive at all when your plan requires their deaths?

Buh
May 17, 2008
Terminator: Salvation. They spend the entire movie talking about how that Terminator-person truly counts as a human being, then at the end he offers himself as a donor heart. While he's completely healthy. A noble self-sacrifice in a big explosion would be one thing, but this is a dude just calmly saying 'nah it's cool, vivisect me and utilise my organs' and all the other characters are cool with that. What the gently caress?

That thing I sent
May 27, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
While I don't mind the movie Independence Day, one part has always immediately pissed me off.

Towards the end of the movie (I don't know why I'm spoiling this, has anyone NOT seen this film yet?) when they've gathered up the remaining pilots left alive for their final assault, Randy Quaid stands up and says "I'm just glad to get some revenge on these aliens after they kidnapped and probed me so long ago." And the generals give each other a "This guy so crazy" look. While they're getting ready to fight aliens. While standing on Area 51, which contains aliens that have been there for 40 years. Why the gently caress is it so crazy that Randy Quiad says he had an encounter with aliens when they're getting ready to go and fight those very same god drat aliens.

I know it's such a niggly little thing but god dammit it pisses me off way more than it should.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
This one is really nitpicky but in I Know What You Did Last Summer the group of teens go to Anne Heche's farm to interview her. They make her mad at which points she screams "Get out of my house" when they are not in her house because they are talking outside.

The sequel also was ruined with the obvious fake radio contest when JLH guesses the incorrect capital of some country yet wins anyway.

Stinky Diver
Oct 31, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

The sequel also was ruined with the obvious fake radio contest when JLH guesses the incorrect capital of some country yet wins anyway.

I might be remembering incorrectly but didn't the killer call them on getting the wrong answer?

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:
I'll preface this by saying I didn't see any of the Alien movies until I was an adult.

I decided to watch them in order. I watched Alien, and I loved it. I thought it was an amazing thriller that had everything I would want in that kind of movie. Just some little glimpses of the aliens, but the fear of the unknown being the key player.

Then I moved to Aliens, about which I'd only heard great things, and I thought it was loving terrible. It has every action movie cliche packed into it, there's no sense of connection to any of the characters, the cast is gigantic, Paul Reiser is practically doing stand-up schtick for the whole movie. You see the aliens all the time and in great detail. They're not scary and just kind of seem funny. I was totally dumbfounded that people like this movie, and it's not next to Godfather III in terms of sequel atrocity.

I prefaced this post with the fact that I saw it all as an adult because I have to assume the only reason people could love Aliens the way they do is because of youthful nostalgia.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Stinky Diver posted:

I might be remembering incorrectly but didn't the killer call them on getting the wrong answer?

In the climactic scene towards the end he did.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Livingston posted:

It has every action movie cliche packed into it,

Nitpicking your post but the fact it has every action movie cliche packed into it is because for the most part Aliens invented said cliches.

That's just like saying Shakespeare is trite and boring cause his plays pack every drama and tragedy trope ever.

AutoSnakes
Apr 29, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Zombies as Wrecking Crews
Bib's Brain: MOST DOORS ARE HARD TO OPEN LIKE THAT! EVEN DUMBASSES ON YOUTUBE HAVE TROUBLE DOING IT! ZOMBIES DON'T HAVE THAT LEVEL OF CONTROL I CANNOT ACCEPT THIS

Part of the zombie lore in Romero's older movies is that they are also incredibly strong, inescapable iron grip and all that (despite also being fragile and rotting). It's the reason why they so easily pull apart the living, limb by limb.

Also, you're not realizing just how much of factor fatigue and pain becomes when your doing something physical like smashing down a door. You see that idiot in the video flinch from his first attempt to ram the door--a zombie will not feel that kind of pain and just keep going.

Just think of how much damage a person can do when they're drunk or angry, both states of mind in which pain is only dulled, much less non-existent.

Contribution:

It bugs me in the first 28 Days Later that they so easily drive down the freeway (or whatever they call 'em in Britain). Not a single abandoned car? Really? And that they find that grocery store in mint condition. Not a single person raided it? Also that they find a spot safe enough to sleep outside. A safe, zombie-free place close to resources? Where are you even going? Why not just stay there?

edit: I just remembered, that part where they sleep on the first floor of the protagonist's house. I get it that he's traumatized and lights the candle and brings doom to his travelling buddy, but why didn't they just sleep upstairs?

AutoSnakes has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Sep 5, 2011

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

canepazzo posted:

Nitpicking your post but the fact it has every action movie cliche packed into it is because for the most part Aliens invented said cliches.

That's just like saying Shakespeare is trite and boring cause his plays pack every drama and tragedy trope ever.

You're right, but I guess my main gripe is that it is so unlike Alien. I don't understand why they chose to go with the Alien intellectual property when they clearly had such a different vision in mind. I wish James Cameron had just made some new kind of alien for his movie, instead of taking kick-rear end Alien, and making retarded Aliens.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw Aliens for the first time 2 years ago and it blew me away. I suddenly got all the references to it in the video games I played. Video games would be so different today if Aliens wasn't made.

Really, I thought it was a perfectly made action movie. Lots of tension and great atmosphere with just the right amount of explosions.

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
The one that always gets me is perfect white teeth on someone who's playing a sea captain, lifelong coal-miner, 19th century dye-mill line worker etc. Every time they open their mouth some part of my brain just goes "URGH YOU ARE A BROKE FISHERMAN YOUR MOUTH WOULDN'T LOOK LIKE TOM CRUISE'S".

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

In Terminator Salvation this happens, but you see similar scenes in many, many other films :
1. Bad guys desperately want to kill The Hero as he is the only one who can possibly defeat them.
2. Hero is caught somehow and clearly at the mercy of the Bad Guys.
3. Instead of immediately shooting the Hero or yanking his head off, they just throw him around the room for several minutes until he finds a way to kill the Bad Guy.
4. While being thrown around, the Hero is apparently indestructible and can survive being thrown into walls, pillars and girders without suffering so much as a cracked rib or concussion.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
There's a scene early in The Exorcist (before the possession, I'm certain) where Regan's mother screams at a hotel clerk down the phone because she can't reach her estranged husband (maybe ex-husband, haven't seen the film in a while).

Because of this, I can't empathise with her for the rest of the film.

That person was only doing their job and was probably under instruction to claim that the husband was out if anybody called, you big meanie :(

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw Aliens for the first time 2 years ago and it blew me away. I suddenly got all the references to it in the video games I played. Video games would be so different today if Aliens wasn't made.

Really, I thought it was a perfectly made action movie. Lots of tension and great atmosphere with just the right amount of explosions.

Yeah, the "pip pip" of the motion tracker was masterful.

Robocop was a great film, (and I even liked number 2!) but how many bullets did ED-209 and the Police shoot into him without hitting his chin? I think he was shielding it for at least part, but still.

Also, who the gently caress programmed ED-209 to scream? Why would a (military) mech even need to scream? And why like an elephant? Pah.

Wasn't it "Amarone" in the book? Was it just to make it a more well-known drink?
\/\/\/\/

GoodbyeLaika
May 5, 2009

by Lowtax
"...fava beans and a nice chianti."

It's pronounced kee-ON-tee, not kee-ANN-tee you are well educated and would know this god drat.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

GoodbyeLaika posted:

"...fava beans and a nice chianti."

It's pronounced kee-ON-tee, not kee-ANN-tee you are well educated and would know this god drat.

Pretty sure it's a deliberate mispronunciation. Edit: That doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to go in the thread, it is an irrational irritating movie moment thread.

As for my own beef, it would have to go to Clerks, and the loving of a corpse. Come the gently caress on, like she wouldn't notice that she was having sex with A DEAD BODY? Even if Dante decided not to talk and just sit on the toilet and take it, he probably would be moving around a bit. Kevin Smith is a loving hack.

sephiRoth IRA has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Sep 5, 2011

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Livingston posted:

You're right, but I guess my main gripe is that it is so unlike Alien. I don't understand why they chose to go with the Alien intellectual property when they clearly had such a different vision in mind. I wish James Cameron had just made some new kind of alien for his movie, instead of taking kick-rear end Alien, and making retarded Aliens.

Cameron specifically said that he knew he couldn't beat the original Alien for space survival horror, so he wanted to make something else; specifically an action movie. Cameron LOVES the original Alien, and was inspired by it to make the sequel.

Either you watched the wrong movie, or something is wrong with you, because Aliens is one of the best action flicks of all time. Every character is unique and interesting (the fact that you don't think so makes it obvious you weren't paying attention), and it invented a lot of what you consider to be modern action movie cliches. It's inspired so many things, from video games to other modern films, that to say it's terrible is insulting everything from Starcraft to Terminator 2.

One of my most hated moments in a movie is in the modern remake of The Jackal, with Bruce Willis. Willis' character is shown, during the entire movie, to be a ruthless and effective killer. He doesn't gently caress around, and he manages to get his target every time. The movie also avoids so many typical lame tropes... Well, up until the very end and the most climactic scene, that is. Willis has managed to acquire a water-cooled 23 mm 2A7 autocannon with a cyclic rate of 850–1,000 rounds per minute, and rig up some remote control setup in the back of a minivan, so he can park the car next to the First Lady's Big Speech and assassinate her. Meanwhile, Richard Gere is getting close to hunting him down, but you get the impression that Willis is so many steps ahead of Gere that he's going to win.

At this point, the director decides that all the stupid dumb mistakes that action movie bad guys make, which Willis has been avoiding for the entire film, will now happen in the final 10 minutes. Willis has a laptop, slaved to a camera that is the sight for the gun. Keep in mind, this is no .22 rifle, but a 23 millimeter anti aircraft cannon. It's not a weapon of subtlety. Nonetheless, Willis decides to zoom in... zoom in... zoom in on his laptop, hovering his finger over the "fire" button. This is interspersed with shots of Richard Gere getting closer and closer to the First Lady, and his team scanning the area with sniper rifles and binoculars. What's Willis doing, even though the First Lady is mid speech, and LITERALLY centered in his cross hairs? Zoom in... zoom in.... zoom in...

Of course, this gives Gere time to run up on stage and tackle the First Lady, and the team spots the autocannon and shoots up the van. By the time Willis presses the fire button, it's too late, and all he does is make a bunch of noise.

He flubs his escape, and Gere tracks him into a subway station. They engage in a shootout, and then Willis makes the genius decision to have his whole loving foot sticking out from behind a wall. Our seasoned assassin, combat trained and with years of experience, gets shot in the foot, and then when he falls down, Gere kills him.

loving god-drat bullshit. I hate that movie, because they took an incredible character, built him up during 90 minutes of screen time, then in the final 10 minutes made him act like a complete moron.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

areyoucontagious posted:

As for my own beef, it would have to go to Clerks, and the loving of a corpse. Come the gently caress on, like she wouldn't notice that she was having sex with A DEAD BODY? Even if Dante decided not to talk and just sit on the toilet and take it, he probably would be moving around a bit.

I think it was well established that she was the kind of turboslut that wouldn't notice. :colbert:

areyoucontagious posted:

Kevin Smith is a loving hack.

I can't argue this but I've still enjoyed the hell out of a lot of his movies.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I think it was well established that she was the kind of turboslut that wouldn't notice. :colbert:

I can't argue this but I've still enjoyed the hell out of a lot of his movies.

me too

As for the turboslutness, I still think she could tell the difference between a live Dante Hicks and a dead Old Pervert.

Insanitylad
Sep 20, 2004
captain I ahave a penis where My vagiana was supposed to be now giant penus.
I have always paid really close attention to a movies soundtrack, and it more than anything can pull me in or push me out of a film.

Two instances where in an otherwise fantastic movie is brought to a halt are in Inglorious Basterds, and the new JJ Abrams Star Trek. Don't get me wrong, I love both of these movies to death, but . . .

In Inglorious Basterds there is the scene just before the final climax of the film when operation Kino is about to go underway, Shosanna is putting on makeup and before heading downstairs, and David Bowie's Cat People starts playing... In a movie that otherwise kept things at least somewhat in period, this just threw me off... to this day I firmly believe that it if it were not for this one scene that the movie would have had a legitimate shot at winning Best Picture.

The soundtrack flub up in Star Trek happens just as Spock is rejecting his acceptance into the Vulcan science academy, After what was otherwise a well acted and shot scene we have Spock looking defiantly into the camera, and just before we cut back to Kirk s origin plot we hear this funky guitar track start playing; to me this comes off as if the song is a reaction to what Spock said to the council.

"Live long and prosper. . .-bum bum chicka chicka bow bow bow-

If they were going to ruin the scene they might as well have gone all out and had him throw on some shades and moon walk out of the chamber...ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Insanitylad posted:

If they were going to ruin the scene they might as well have gone all out and had him throw on some shades and moon walk out of the chamber...ugh.

This would not have ruined the scene.

In Star Trek, now that you mention it, one of my irritations is why give Spock so goddamn much of that red matter when all he needed was a very tiny bit? That is just asking for trouble.

• Locked thread