Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gump got sexually abused later in life in the book; did that come up in the movie? I do not remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Lotish posted:

Gump got sexually abused later in life in the book; did that come up in the movie? I do not remember.

It was in the movie too, with Jenny, remember? Gump isn't able to consent on account of his lack of faculties.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I thought it was someone else in the book, and then Jenny came later. And I don't think I've ever watched the movie all the way through, as I have no memory of the scene with Jenny.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

kinmik posted:

Apparently, in the new Spider-man movie, Harry Osborn becomes the Green Goblin through a hereditary genetic mutation? Is that something that was in any iteration of the comics, or did the director and writers pull that out of their asses? It just seems completely wrong and out of left field.

Regarding that, they kinda pulled it outta their asses. In the comics it's the goblin formula that makes em all batshit, but in the movie apparently the osborns suffer from some genetic disease that only affects walleye fish. Don't loving ask me how that works, it just ends up being the reason for plot devices to happen.

It's a bit weird, but not unheard of.

The only time I remember Forrest getting messed up with chicks was when him and Lt Dan got the hookers and he kinda freaked out.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know it's a debunked theory and all, but I always like to imagine Forrest Gump as being the recollections of a guy who is an unreliable narrator who has trouble processing reality that he imagines things that he sees on TV or hearing about from other people as happening to him as a way to explain his being at the center of history all the time.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

I know it's a debunked theory and all, but I always like to imagine Forrest Gump as being the recollections of a guy who is an unreliable narrator who has trouble processing reality that he imagines things that he sees on TV or hearing about from other people as happening to him as a way to explain his being at the center of history all the time.

The second Forest Gump book had him inventing New Coke, crashing the Exxon Valdez, accidentally tearing down the Berlin Wall and fighting in Desert Storm. A sequel movie based on that book was also going to have him being involved with OJ Simpson.

So, yeah, that idea works in pretty good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pneub posted:

When did that happen?

It happened in the movie after (or before?) the Vietnam section. Gump mistakenly joins the Navy and they send him to the bottom of the ocean for underwater demolitions. He spends too much time down there and ends up passing out. Something about "the bends" being called "Gump Bumps".

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Well I guess scenes that don't appear on this plane of existence can count for the thread.

The only Navy diver movie I can think of is Men of Honor, with Cuba Gooding Jr. and Robert Deniro. Which did rely on those atmosphere suits in the 1950s and beyond.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Lead Psychiatry posted:

The only Navy diver movie I can think of is Men of Honor, with Cuba Gooding Jr. and Robert Deniro. Which did rely on those atmosphere suits in the 1950s and beyond.

Sphere technically counts, doesn't it? There were Navy divers in that movie.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
True, but it's a Sci-Fi set in a more modern time. And find it a bit harder to believe Cream-Of-Plenty got Forrest Gump confused with Sphere.

Just for clarity's sake though, I based my reply off this comment earlier in the thread:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The worst thing about Forrest Gump is that scene where he is "selected" to go down onto the ocean floor in one of those huge, brass diving suits. I'm pretty sure they had something a little more modern by the 1950's, when this was all supposed to be taking place.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The heartwarming story of a retarded man who never really had to work for anything because the things that carried him through life were things he just sort of stumbled upon and was preternaturally gifted at (running, playing ping-pong) or he was just plain lucky and in the right place and the right time (fishing). Meanwhile Jenny spends the entire movie actively working to try and improve her lot in life but she's a woman and she has sex so she gets beaten up by black panthers and dies of the AIDS. A++++ would have my heartstrings tugged at again.

It was the faux revolutianary that beat her up, not the black panthers. That scene also has the best line in the film:

Sorry I ruined your black panther party

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mister Nobody posted:

It was the faux revolutianary that beat her up, not the black panthers. That scene also has the best line in the film:

Sorry I ruined your black panther party

I work with a mine that is named Black Panther. I get a cubic fuckton of mileage off of that line at work.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

kizudarake posted:

I work with a mine that is named Black Panther. I get a cubic fuckton of mileage off of that line at work.

I initially mis-read this as "I work with a mime that is named Black Panther." You know what? I'm just going to pretend that's what you said.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ThatPazuzu posted:

Which was?

Forrest Gump posted:

I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JediTalentAgent posted:

A retard who can't tell fiction from reality? This is a conservative movie since that explains Ronald Reagan.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Well I guess scenes that don't appear on this plane of existence can count for the thread.

Yeah, you're right. I'm probably getting it confused with Men of Honor because Cuba Gooding Jr. was in both movies. It's actually sort of weird how many movies Cuba Gooding Jr. plays a retard in.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, you're right. I'm probably getting it confused with Men of Honor because Cuba Gooding Jr. was in both movies. It's actually sort of weird how many movies Cuba Gooding Jr. plays a retard in.

Are you Cuba Gooding Jr.?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Are you Cuba Gooding Jr.?

Oh, no. I stopping supporting Mr. Jr. after he starred in Snow Dogs, which was just about the most racist movie I've ever conceived of. Why do you ask?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Cuba Gooding Jr. Wasn't in Forrest Gump, the guy that played Bubba looked nothing like him.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh, no. I stopping supporting Mr. Jr. after he starred in Snow Dogs, which was just about the most racist movie I've ever conceived of. Why do you ask?
I find it ironic that you think Snow Dogs is racist when you apparently can't tell black people apart.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

JediTalentAgent posted:

No you see we are all Forrest Gump.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Did the density of this thread just spike, or am I having a stroke

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Stupid is as stupid does.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

No you see we are all Forrest Gump.

Actually, that's the second theme of that idea.

You never took part in a protest, you lucked out of having to go to war, you didn't do anything to help or hinder the march of progress, you didn't get rich on stocks, you didn't do anything about segregation or politics or did anything to change the world in any meaningful way or go off living like a hippie or anything. In one of the most eventful eras of human history, you did nothing at all.

You did nothing... EXCEPT watch all of it happen on TV! So, in a way, since you watched it on TV, it's like you (Yes, YOU!) were as much part of all this history shaping events as the people who took part in them. Feel proud about yourself!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I guess everyone at Disney who knew how to write an adequate song are dead and/or senile, but the idea that Disney movies have to have songs in them stuck around. So every few minutes of tolerable kids movie are interrupted by absolute ear-splitting garbage. Why?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

I guess everyone at Disney who knew how to write an adequate song are dead and/or senile, but the idea that Disney movies have to have songs in them stuck around. So every few minutes of tolerable kids movie are interrupted by absolute ear-splitting garbage. Why?

Kids love songs and talking animals.

I'm not a huge fan of Frozen, but drat my kids love asking me if I wanna build a snowman.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Xander77 posted:

It might have been that the traditional movie musical had fallen out of popularity over the decades and the animated films were the last place you throw in such a number. With the exception of Rocky Horror, JC Superstar and a few others, popular live-action musicals seemed a rare breed over the years.

Other than Disney and some of the Bluth animated films, there wasn't a lot of movie musicals being produced over the years. The Disney animated features, to a point, managed to come up with catchy, poppy musical numbers that sometimes could break into the top 40. I still sometimes hear Colors of the Wind, that one song from Aladdin and Phil Collin's You'll Be In My Heart on the radio.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Xander77 posted:

Are you just trying to have an edgy "I know better than the mainstream what kind of music is good" opinion? Like, you liked Disney music before it was cool? I'm just asking because the soundtrack for the latest Disney film has been on top of the billboard charts for like 3 months.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Silly Newbie posted:

Are you just trying to have an edgy "I know better than the mainstream what kind of music is good" opinion? Like, you liked Disney music before it was cool? I'm just asking because the soundtrack for the latest Disney film has been on top of the billboard charts for like 3 months.

And the one before that didn't have any musical numbers at all. Like, at this point animated musicals are the minority, especially from non-Disney studios.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I don't think any Disney movies have had music since what, Princess and the Frog from four years ago? Maybe one of the Christmas ones but I don't really watch those.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Also yeah, a dynamic, oscar winning ballad sung by a Tony Award winning actress? SUCKS

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I got Lana Del Rey's rendition of Once Upon a Dream stuck in my head for days. It was actually very soothing in spite of being pretty annoying after a while.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Kareem posted:

Kids love songs and talking animals.

I'm not a huge fan of Frozen, but drat my kids love asking me if I wanna build a snowman.

I would hope you go into This response.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Silly Newbie posted:

top of the billboard charts for like 3 months.

You guys and gals are right, only quality music reaches the top of the Billboard charts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Frozen is terrible and I hate that loving song. But I know I'm weird since I never liked the music even when I was a kid. The songs in Pocahantas, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King etc drove me nuts.

I liked that one song in Hunchback but only because it was scary as poo poo.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Silly Newbie posted:

Are you literally ten years old? Are you assuming I am? Because that was the last time when "I think Disney music isn't good" was an edgy statement.

I'm saying that Frozen is terrible and all the songs are poo poo because (pay attention here, apparently you have trouble with parsing simple statements): Frozen is loving terrible and all the songs are poo poo.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
drat, that's cold man.

Oh well, the cold never bothered me anyway :sparkles:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Xander77 posted:

Are you literally ten years old? Are you assuming I am? Because that was the last time when "I think Disney music isn't good" was an edgy statement.

I'm saying that Frozen is terrible and all the songs are poo poo because (pay attention here, apparently you have trouble with parsing simple statements): Frozen is loving terrible and all the songs are poo poo.

I wanna help, too:

Frozen is loving terrible and all the songs are poo poo.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
Out of curiosity, what music DO you like?

I feel like Frozen could have been a lot better, but the popularity of that one goddamn song has effectively subverted the term "Ice Queen" in American slang for at least the next ten years.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This is the Irritating Movie Moments thread, not the Edgy Contrarian Movie Opinions thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

In Captain America 2 I liked how the winter soldier is "a ghost, a rumour that nobody believes" according to Romanov, yet at the end she says "I called in some favours in Moscow, here's the top secret file." Questions: a ghosts greatest weakness.

• Locked thread