Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Fantasmo posted:

That and every time they forget about Spider-Sense. Hi I'm loving Spider-Man I'm just going to get cold-clocked left and right by everyone who takes a swing at me also you can attack me from behind while I ride my moped and I won't see poo poo coming.

I only remember him being attacked on his moped once..When his Spider-Sense kicked in and he backflipped over the car as it ran over his moped.

You know even comics Spidey gets punched occasionally, right? I think of all the horrible things the Spider-Man movies did, not using his Spider-Sense correctly wasn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The thing that really annoyed me about War of the Worlds was the military-fighting-over-the-hill scene. This is supposed to be the movie's Thunder Child scene, with a military force dying in order to give the civilians some time to escape. In the original, the HMS Thunder Child actually manages to outright kill a few of the Martian tripods before getting blown apart.

In the movie? The US Military apparently has no idea what concentrating fire means. There's a huge line of tanks and rocked-equipped Humvees with air support and they're kinda firing haphazardly at whatever tripod they happen to see with absolutely no discipline. All I could think while watching that scene was "Why aren't they all firing at the same tripod at once?" It would have given the movie a bit of a moment like in the original where you think the military unit might just pull it off after it downs a tripod or two before getting annihilated.

But nooo, their first kill had to be because Tom Cruise told them to fire.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Wormophile posted:

Right, there's something that troubles me in films with talking animals in them, for example The Lion King

The predators in these films are not just eating animals, they are killing and eating intelligent, self aware and often totally sassy living beings! Hundreds of them a year! That is MONSTROUS.

It's the Circle of Life, dude. They had a song about it and everything. :smug:

One of mine: shock paddles whenever someone's heart has stopped. That is not even remotely how they work. You don't use them when someone's flatlining, and it always seems to show up even in shows or movies that have otherwise been pretty good with medical matters. Pretty sure people don't jump like that when shocked by them, either.

EDIT: Post got posted too early :doh:

Polaron has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Sep 30, 2011

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ambiguatron posted:

Didn't Hammer get the arc reactors from Vanko? He knows how to make them. Presumably making them for Hammer was part of his job.

What makes less sense is why the suits which were modified into the drones were built to work on an arc reactor that Hammer didn't have before he hired Vanko.

I don't think the drones used arc reactors so much as LOOKED LIKE they did (Hammertech is big on show). The War Machine suit clearly having a real reactor is part of why it was such a big deal.

EDIT:

Cowslips Warren posted:

As for the Aliens deal, I'm wondering just how Paul Reiser's character's plan was had his idea to infect Ripley and Newt work. Was he planning really on killing all the Marines somehow, on no one seeing those two with facehuggers, or was the plan to take them back unconscious with some stupid line about 'maybe we can save them!' And as awesome as having xenomorph soldiers would be, most of the time I'd think when you'd release them, wouldn't you, maybe, want to claim the land from the suckers you just released hell on? There's aliens everywhere now! Or was the real plan to find where the nursery was in the first place?

He planned on sabotaging the cryotubes the Marines used, presumably.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Or, once you stick one hand into the box and find out about the blades, you use your other hand to keep the blades open instead of sticking said other hand into the other opening.

Plus, I seem to recall that that box was visibly unlocked. Jigsaw was just betting on the people in there being idiots going for the obvious solution.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
In Michael Bay's defense (I know, I know, hear me out), that final battle had already killed some of the rendering computers. They may have just run out of time/computers.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mrens posted:

It is not unreasonable to assume he took it off during the flight.

That entire scene was terrible and unnecessary, 'Durr I don't know how seat belt work' as he mashes the female ends together, was he acting deliberately stupid?

It's a hint that everything associated with InGen has things wrong with it. Even the seatbelts in their spared-no-expense private helicopter are faulty!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I always assumed that Leia was remembering her adoptive mother, Bail Organa's wife, and that she had no idea she wasn't her real mother. Leia's last name WAS Organa, after all.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh god I'm going to show my Star Wars nerdism here, but whatever. Long post ultimately about stupid nerd stuff incoming.

The domes were originally intended to be sensor domes. They look pretty much identical to doppler radar domes. The sequence in RotJ has a group of Rebel fighters knock out one of the sensor domes while the Executor (the 15-mile long Star Destroyer) is being attacked by roughly everyone in the star system not flying the Imperial flag. We see an Imperial tech report that one of their shields is down, ship's Captain tells them to "intensify forward firepower. I don't want anything to get through!"

Cut to a Rebel A-Wing taking a hit from a turbolaser and going out of control. The pilot, realizing he's basically toast in this kind of environment, decides to take out the single best target in the area (whose shields just dropped). The SSD's captain reiterates his order to increase firepower, but it's too late. Kaboom. One of the games actually has a sequence where you pilot this A-Wing into the bridge, so it is doable without the Force (unless you want to start getting Meta by saying the Force is George Lucas/the writers).

SSDs do have secondary bridges, but it takes time to re-establish control and in that time the Executor's nose tipped towards the largest gravity well in the area: the giant metal sphere twice the size of Earth's moon using artificial gravity to give it 1G on the surface.

And before anyone's able to re-establish control, well..Bug on the largest windshield ever built.

tl;dr: :goonsay:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Lady of the Beech posted:

Still, how exactly did he cross the line into killing children?

The Dark Side is basically the ultimate Slippery Slope. Once you do one thing tainted by it, you're going to keep doing more and more and bigger and worse unless you are a PARAGON of self-control, and even then it's going to taunt you for the rest of your days.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

FreakyZoid posted:

There was an anecdote at the time that they used to have to keep retaking scenes because he would be making his own lightsabre sound effects without even realising he was doing it.

All of them did this. Every single actor who gets his or her hands on a lightsaber during the prequels did this. I think Anakin's actor was told "we have people who do that for you" when he got caught doing it :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Throckwoddle posted:

Making fun of retarded children pretty much guarantees you look like stupid rear end in a top hat. Bashing a horrible set of movies is a different beast entirely from mocking mentally disabled people.

EDIT: The ending scene from Casablanca always irritated me, when Rick and Renault walk off together. It's been a long time since I've seen the movie, but I don't remember their relationship being anything other than antagonistic; for example, Rick interfering with Renault's plans to coerce sex from women, Renault shutting down Rick's club, Rick forcing Renault at gunpoint to help Lazlo's escape. It just struck me as odd that they walk off together at the end, suddenly chummy.

That's...That's the entire point of the ending line. You know, "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"? Renault had finally found his backbone and had turned from a collaborator into a member of the resistance.

How could you miss that? It was the payoff to the whole movie. :psyduck:

Plus, it was implied that they'd at least had an understanding, of a sort: "I am shocked, shocked to find out there's gambling here!" "Your winnings, sir!"

Polaron has a new favorite as of 09:55 on Feb 21, 2012

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Really? It sounds more like a "Whoops, just slipped!" slide whistle and it happens the moment his feet go out from under him.

It's definitely the sound of the metal cable being pulled off of the winch quickly. It took me years to realize that, and the foley guys/editors probably should have done something about it. They may have thought it was a funny coincidence or something, though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

miserable lil onion posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. Of course I know that you goon, but I don't know what their little pad thingies are actually called.

PADDs :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

muscles like this? posted:

One thing I always thought was pretty stupid about The Matrix was how pointless the characters of Apoc and Switch were. They basically just stood around in the background of shots until they needed to show how serious Cypher and he kills them.

It's too bad, too, because Switch especially was supposed to be much more interesting. Switch was originally going to be someone whose Residual Self Image and actual body were two separate genders (hence the name and how androgynous she came across even in the final film), showing how the Matrix wasn't perfect and occasionally goofed up. She/he (I can't remember which gender Switch was going to be in the Real World) would have been experiencing a breathtaking level of self-confusion over the whole thing, and I think Apoc was going to be helping her through it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

parque bynch posted:

"Unarmed" is a pretty loose term when the giant robots can just stomp on humans. Further, the decepticons double-crossed the autobots twice in the first half of the movie, so it's forgivable if the Autobots don't want to take any more chances.

Oh god, why am I defending Dark Side of the Moon?

Plus, the Transformers are shown time and again changing their arms into cannons and blades, so "unarmed" would probably have to be taken to a completely literal extreme in order to be safe about them. :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Vintimus Prime posted:

That's a great way to put it and it makes a poo poo ton of sense.

It's also a big contributing factor as to why Gipsy Danger is able to win: this is the first time it's seen action since Knifehead killed it in Alaska and Newt basically knows nothing about it, thus the aliens can't really anticipate it and tailor the two Kaiju for it

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I'd point out that by the end of Pacific Rim the Kaiju had evolved to be able to withstand a nuke directly to the face, so even that solution would have stopped working. On an unrelated note, you DO see a Jaeger with blades for arms very briefly during the montage at the beginning. Hands with deployable blades are just more multi-purpose, and also more awesome

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Razorwired posted:

There is literally no reason for the job to be stripping.

Except if Will Smith is getting rejected by NASA without it being due to his wife's job, it's because he's incapable instead of getting screwed by some politician somewhere, and that's not really a message you want to send about your action hero in a summer blockbuster.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Cowslips Warren posted:

Going back some, but Aliens: other than having the xenomorphs to drop on planets and wipe out everyone, and never use that planet loving again, what exactly is Weyland-Yutani going to do with the aliens? At the time of that movie, they have no idea about the Queen, so even if Paul Reiser's character managed his plan perfect, at best the company would have two aliens they have no idea about. You can't train xenomorphs, they see humans as food and incubators. So seeing as the future probably has some loving awesome nukes you can use if you want to totally make a planet unlivable for humans, why the gently caress would you drop xenomorphs there period?

It's been a while since I saw the movie, but isn't it implied (if not outright stayed) that WeyYu is at least fairly familiar with the xenomorphs and how they work? I'd assume they'd be used like time bombs against, say, a space station or ship you want taken out. Smuggle an egg on board and watch everything fall apart.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Choco1980 posted:

Then how the hell was the one pregnant?!

(More Pacific Rim)

It was a trap for Newt. It was right by the secondary brain the Kaiju's masters knew he'd be coming to look for and didn't pop until there were humans tromping around in there.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

miserable lil onion posted:

I usually see this in shows instead of movies (and especially animated shows) but I hate hate HATE it when a piece of audio is reused and it's so freaking obvious that it's being reused because they play the second clip right after the first. If it's somebody yelling or crying there's a good chance they'll play it multiple times in a row, and it will sound absolutely ridiculous.

Oh god, especially if it's that children laughing/playing clip.

You all know exactly which clip I'm talking about.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tiggum posted:

This always annoys me. Do they think we're too stupid to remember what's going on if they don't switch the voices? Farscape had a body-swap episode where the actors just acted like each others' characters and it was great, why don't other shows do that?

They did give them labels, at least :v:

(Claudia Black acting like Crichton was one of the comedy high points of that show)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Shai-Hulud posted:

While were talking about Pacific Rim. Not really spoilers but just so nobody gets pissed off Why exactly did they have to do the whole mindmeld with another person and with the robot thing? The pilots are still in some kind of harness and moving the way they want the robot to move. So why the hell can't they just put motion sensors on the harnesses and duplicate the detected motions onto the robot? That way you won't need a second pilot or find someone with vulcan genes to mindmeld at all.

The robot's hooked into their brains so they can actually feel what the robot is doing. They need two people so they can split the load because it's too much for one human brain. Also so the actors piloting the things have someone to act alongside (it's Top Gun with giant robots; copilots are pretty much mandatory).

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Organza Quiz posted:

In the meantime, content! I hate it in movies/TV where characters who don't speak English are alone with each other and say like two or three token lines in their language before switching to having the rest of the conversation in English. I think it mostly seems to happen with sci fi/fantasy things and made up languages but as far as I'm concerned they should either "translate" the whole scene into English or have it all in whatever language with subtitles. Otherwise it just feels like the characters are just speaking English to each other for the sake of the audience when it'd be more natural for them not to be. This doesn't count bilingual characters switching languages as they chat because that really is something that people do.

One of the only movies I've seen do this well is Hunt for Red October. They have a Soviet character speaking a Bible passage in Russian and it switches to English on a word that's the same in both languages (Armageddon). You don't hear any more Russian until the Americans board the sub.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Gaunab posted:

Wasn't there something in the World War Z book about the military being overwhelmed by zombies because they used the wrong tactics? I remembering hearing that and thinking it was really stupid.

Yup. The military gets demolished and eaten because apparently sharpened shovels are better at killing zombies than tanks and helicopter gunships. That sort of thing constantly happening in zombie movies is my personal annoyance. Take that scene in the pilot of the Walking Dead where the main character ends up in an abandoned tank. How the hell do zombies overwhelm a tank?! Our military's entire doctrine was built around killing large masses of soldiers! I don't care if zombies wouldn't retreat and wouldn't react to injury, they'd sure as hell react to canister shot and bombing runs! Heck, if you run out of ammo for the main gun just put the tank brigades into drive and run the horde down.

Polaron has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Dec 13, 2013

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Pook Good Mook posted:

There's a big scraping sound and everyone is thrown to the ground. Maybe we're thinking of different parts in the movie?

I actually just watched that movie a couple of days ago. You hear a really loud alarm go off and a sci-fi wooshing sound, and you can see out of the Star Destroyer's windows that the ship is making a hell of a dive, which nobody on board is braced for.

It's still a really dumb scene, but at least they don't actually hit each other.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

RyokoTK posted:

Whether or not they actually hit each other or if it's just a "near miss," the point is, why the gently caress are two Star Destroyers anywhere within five kilometers of each other? They're armed with massive gently caress-off guns. And space is, you know, space; you can't really try to "block" the Millennium Falcon from going anywhere since it can move freely in three dimensions.

I did say it was still stupid v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Choco1980 posted:

Young Grand Moff Tarkin might be my favorite part of all of Episode Three. When I first noticed him years ago, it made me so happy.

Played by the dude who was Scorpius in Farscape, even.

• Locked thread